Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,737 members, 7,820,542 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:46 PM

Investment Guidelines - Investment (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Investment Guidelines (9500 Views)

Guidelines In Making The Best Investment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Investment Guidelines by taiwoliu(m): 4:08pm On Apr 16, 2015
emperoracro:
Hello for those of you out there looking at storing palm oil and selling when its scarce, contact me on +2348136909187, i will assist you which ever way i can.
And i also need partners who are interested in been active in the business, please feel free to contact me also.
PS: I also deal with plantains.
whr u located?
Re: Investment Guidelines by emperoracro(m): 6:42pm On Apr 16, 2015
taiwoliu:
whr u located?
Lagos
Re: Investment Guidelines by taiwoliu(m): 9:44pm On Apr 16, 2015
emperoracro:
Hello for those of you out there looking at storing palm oil and selling when its scarce, contact me on +2348136909187, i will assist you which ever way i can.
And i also need partners who are interested in been active in the business, please feel free to contact me also.
PS: I also deal with plantains.
kk
Re: Investment Guidelines by emperoracro(m): 5:14am On Apr 17, 2015
taiwoliu:
whr u located?
Where are u?
Re: Investment Guidelines by highbeeola(m): 11:21am On Apr 17, 2015
Do you Care for a Step-by-Step
Easy to Follow Ebook Tutorial to
Make you Over #200,000 Every Month

Stop wasting precious time Online, Pocket extra Income while you surf the Net

http://wealtharenabiz.com/optin.html
Re: Investment Guidelines by ernie4life(m): 4:22pm On Apr 17, 2015
food for thought

1 Share

Re: Investment Guidelines by taiwoliu(m): 7:06pm On Apr 17, 2015
ernie4life:
food for thought
word
Re: Investment Guidelines by princeuk21(m): 12:58am On Apr 18, 2015
kennyzboy:
Thanks @Princeuk21, I now know a bit better.
smiley smiley smiley
you are welcome
Re: Investment Guidelines by ernie4life(m): 11:39am On Apr 19, 2015
Investopedia "DEFINITION of 'Personal Finance'
All financial decisions and activities of an individual, this could include budgeting, insurance, savings, investing, debt servicing, mortgages and more. 

Wikipedia defines  "Personal financeis the financial management which an individual or a family unit is required to do to obtain,budget, save, and spend monetary resources over time, taking into account various financial risks and future life events.

Now let me define it in my own words
Personal finance is the long term process of wisely managing you finance so you can achieve your goals and dreams. It is a series of steps used by individuals or a family, which is progressive and cumulative and designed to accomplish a financial goal. 
Personal finance planning is a process which has to be systematically planned and consistently carried out which accumulates  into the desired result.

From all the definition you find out that person finance doesn't just happen, you need to plan it and before you plan it you must ask your self what are my financial goals? What do I intend to achieve in the next couple of years, make realistic goals not fantasy and work towards achieving them.

IMPORTANCE OF PERSONAL FINANCIAL PLANNING 

Below are some of the importance of personal finance

Money can't buy happiness, but it helps. Whether your dream is to run your own business, travel the world every summer, you'll need money to make it happen. Saving for a house, having a cash reserve when you open your new business or flying to Dubai are all long-term financial goals. For most of us except the rich, we need to plan in other to make it come through.

Not having enough money to have fun, put gas in the car or pay the rent is incredibly stressful. The stress can trigger physical symptoms, which include high blood pressure and painful headaches. Sometimes the lack of money drives people to become irrational aboutspending, blowing all their money on gambling or compulsive shopping. Personal money management isn't as exciting as a night spent hanging out with your friends, but it's a lot healthier and helps reduce stress.

There's never a shortage of tempting things to buy. Setting a budget for how much fun spending you can afford each month keeps your spending under control. It's important not to overspend, and it becomes more important as your responsibilities add up.

Financial planning can ensure you are better equipped to deal with the impact of inflation, especially in retirement when expenses continue but income streams dry up.

Personal financial planning helps you increase your channels of income

Re: Investment Guidelines by ernie4life(m): 11:56am On Apr 19, 2015
Personal financial planning process
The key component of personal finance is financial planning, which is a dynamic process that requires regular monitoring and revaluation. In general, it involves five steps:
1.Assessment: 
A person's financial situation is assessed by compiling simplified versions of financial statements including balance sheets and income statements. A personal balance sheet lists the values of personal assets(e.g., car, house, clothes, stocks, bank account), along with personal liabilities(e.g., credit card debt, bank loan, mortgage). A personal income statement lists personalincomeandexpenses.

2.Goal setting: 
Having multiple goals is common, including a mix of short-term and long-term goals. For example, a long-term goal would be to "retire at age 65 with a personal net worth of 10,000,000 naira," while a short-term goal would be to "save up for a new car in the next month." Setting financial goals helps to direct financial planning. Goal setting is done with an objective to meet certain financial requirements.

3.Creating a plan: 
The financial plan details how to accomplish the goals. It could include,for example, reducing unnecessary expenses, increasing the employment income, or investing.

4.Execution:
 Execution of a financial plan often requires discipline and perseverance. Many people obtain assistance from professionals such as accountants,financial planners,investment advisers, and lawyers.

5.Monitoring and reassessment: 
As time passes, the financial plan must be monitored for possible adjustments or reassessments.Typical goals most adults and young adults have are paying off credit card and/or student loan debt, investing for retirement, investing for college costs for children, paying medical expenses, and planning for passing on their property to their heirs (which is known as estateplanning)

For a more detailed components of financial planning look at the following image below.

1 Share

Re: Investment Guidelines by ernie4life(m): 12:04pm On Apr 19, 2015
pictorial illustrations

Re: Investment Guidelines by taiwoliu(m): 1:43pm On Apr 19, 2015
ernie4life:
Personal financial planning process
The key component of personal finance is financial planning, which is a dynamic process that requires regular monitoring and revaluation. In general, it involves five steps:
1.Assessment: 
A person's financial situation is assessed by compiling simplified versions of financial statements including balance sheets and income statements. A personal balance sheet lists the values of personal assets(e.g., car, house, clothes, stocks, bank account), along with personal liabilities(e.g., credit card debt, bank loan, mortgage). A personal income statement lists personalincomeandexpenses.

2.Goal setting: 
Having multiple goals is common, including a mix of short-term and long-term goals. For example, a long-term goal would be to "retire at age 65 with a personal net worth of 10,000,000 naira," while a short-term goal would be to "save up for a new car in the next month." Setting financial goals helps to direct financial planning. Goal setting is done with an objective to meet certain financial requirements.

3.Creating a plan: 
The financial plan details how to accomplish the goals. It could include,for example, reducing unnecessary expenses, increasing the employment income, or investing.

4.Execution:
 Execution of a financial plan often requires discipline and perseverance. Many people obtain assistance from professionals such as accountants,financial planners,investment advisers, and lawyers.

5.Monitoring and reassessment: 
As time passes, the financial plan must be monitored for possible adjustments or reassessments.Typical goals most adults and young adults have are paying off credit card and/or student loan debt, investing for retirement, investing for college costs for children, paying medical expenses, and planning for passing on their property to their heirs (which is known as estateplanning)

For a more detailed components of financial planning look at the following image below.
I must say dt I commend ur effort and creativity. this piece is truly helpful nd full of insight, especially for the young adults and d growing youth. may God reward u for ds
Re: Investment Guidelines by FruitfulSparkles(f): 5:45pm On Apr 28, 2015
wow. nice following please dont stop
Re: Investment Guidelines by ernie4life(m): 7:23am On Apr 29, 2015
FruitfulSparkles:
wow. nice following please dont stop

thanks I will try my best

1 Like

Re: Investment Guidelines by Nobody: 4:06pm On Apr 29, 2015
Great exposition. Keenly following and May God reward your great effort abundantly.
Ride on dear..
Re: Investment Guidelines by ernie4life(m): 7:50pm On Apr 29, 2015
E360dg:
Great exposition. Keenly following and May God reward your great effort abundantly.
Ride on dear..

thanks for your encouragement,
knowing that someone out there appreciate my write ups am now encouraged and motivated to continue.

stay tuned
Re: Investment Guidelines by ernie4life(m): 4:01pm On Apr 30, 2015
MONEY PROBLEMS 

Money problems are some of the factors which has a silent way of sapping off your money without you knowing, it's like cancer you look ok on the out side but on the inside you are a  financial going down yet you don't know.
 Basically there are 7 major money problems which I will call money monsters

I will list them before I discuss each

1. Inflation monster

2. Emergency monster

3. The "thing" monster

4. The image building monster

5. The keeping up monster

6. The save save monster

7. The easy credit monster

INFLATION MONSTER 
This is one monster that you and I can't do anything about, the most we could you is to hedge against it. Inflation monster reduces the value of your money over time, inflation rate in Nigeria as at March 2015 was 8.5% this means the money you kept in your savings/ bank account without spending it will depreciate 8.5% in value per annum. There is nothing you can do to stop this depreciation but you could hedge against it by either fixing your money at a good rate or buying treasury bills which the interest rate is usually above the inflation rate.

EMERGENCY MONSTER 
Emergency monster are those unplanned expenses we make. Over the east our eastern brothers have this slang " befitting burial" LOL. Once there mother or father dies the will start liquidating there investment to give the dead a befitting burial, some even go as far as borrowing to meet up with burial expenses, after the burial what happens? " sipping garri with groundnut". What about those our extended family members who will always come with one request or the other, some will even give you a deadline, that your sibling that will always squander his or her money and come back to you crying for a second chance when in reality this is the fifth time. Some will incur expenses that they can't bear and start calling you to come to there rescue. Let's get practical, am not against giving, in fact I don't joke with my tithe and offering neither am I discouraging you from giving but let's be rational if the table was turned around and you where the one making the request how many of them will be kind enough to bail you out? Why should you go as far as borrowing to give a dead person a befitting burial why not give that money to the person while he or she is alive to enjoy. Give to the extent your budget can carry make exceptions when it's a matter of life and death, no matter how much you give out people will still call you a stingy person. One of the ways to defeat the emergency monster is to make special provisions in budget for unforeseen occurrence. I will discuss more on some of the ways to defeat emergency monster when I get to " budgeting "

To be continued. Comments are always appreciated
Re: Investment Guidelines by taiwoliu(m): 6:20pm On Apr 30, 2015
ernie4life:
MONEY PROBLEMS 

Money problems are some of the factors which has a silent way of sapping off your money without you knowing, it's like cancer you look ok on the out side but on the inside you are a  financial going down yet you don't know.
 Basically there are 7 major money problems which I will call money monsters

I will list them before I discuss each

1. Inflation monster

2. Emergency monster

3. The "thing" monster

4. The image building monster

5. The keeping up monster

6. The save save monster

7. The easy credit monster

INFLATION MONSTER 
This is one monster that you and I can't do anything about, the most we could you is to hedge against it. Inflation monster reduces the value of your money over time, inflation rate in Nigeria as at March 2015 was 8.5% this means the money you kept in your savings/ bank account without spending it will depreciate 8.5% in value per annum. There is nothing you can do to stop this depreciation but you could hedge against it by either fixing your money at a good rate or buying treasury bills which the interest rate is usually above the inflation rate.

EMERGENCY MONSTER 
Emergency monster are those unplanned expenses we make. Over the east our eastern brothers have this slang " befitting burial" LOL. Once there mother or father dies the will start liquidating there investment to give the dead a befitting burial, some even go as far as borrowing to meet up with burial expenses, after the burial what happens? " sipping garri with groundnut". What about those our extended family members who will always come with one request or the other, some will even give you a deadline, that your sibling that will always squander his or her money and come back to you crying for a second chance when in reality this is the fifth time. Some will incur expenses that they can't bear and start calling you to come to there rescue. Let's get practical, am not against giving, in fact I don't joke with my tithe and offering neither am I discouraging you from giving but let's be rational if the table was turned around and you where the one making the request how many of them will be kind enough to bail you out? Why should you go as far as borrowing to give a dead person a befitting burial why not give that money to the person while he or she is alive to enjoy. Give to the extent your budget can carry make exceptions when it's a matter of life and death, no matter how much you give out people will still call you a stingy person. One of the ways to defeat the emergency monster is to make special provisions in budget for unforeseen occurrence. I will discuss more on some of the ways to defeat emergency monster when I get to " budgeting "

To be continued. Comments are always appreciated 
I agree wt ds esp d provision for emergencies in ones budget

1 Like

Re: Investment Guidelines by taiwoliu(m): 11:27pm On May 12, 2015
princeuk21:

1) FGN Bonds are debt securities (liabilities) of the Federal Government of Nigeria issued under the authority of DMO and listed on the Nigerian Stock Exchange. The FGN has an obligation to pay the bondholder the principal and agreed interest as they fall due.

2) FGN bonds are debt instruments issued by the Federal Government of Nigeria for an agreed period of time. The investor lends an amount of money to the government and earns interest on the investment until the maturity of the bond when the principal will be returned.

3) I don't think they roll over the interest with the principal and if we are to calculate it then it should be (1,500,000 for the first year and if we multiply that figure by 5 years it should be 7,500.000).

4) Interest received on FGN bonds is not subject to tax so it is tax free.

Always here to help.
Princeuk21. wink smiley
l enjoyed ur explanation and with the use of practical example too. But I v a question: I learnt frm DMO's website that u indicate ur [bold] auction interest rate[/bold] in d application or tender form. What I don't understand is dt -(1) y do u need to action it since d coupon rate has been fixed already. (2) what if ur tendered rate is not accepted? Wl ur already deposited cash b returned? Pls enlighten me on this. Thanks.
Re: Investment Guidelines by ernie4life(m): 9:29pm On Jun 16, 2015
The thing monster

This is a psychological tactics used by companies / marketers in compelling you to buy there products even when you don't need them, everyday on TV the bombard us with breathtaking adverts with mouth watering offers. Less than month after buying my BlackBerry Z10 I heard Q10 was out with 4g network and a radio and other fantastic features at first it sounded cool, but on a second thought I asked my self how many times do I listen to radio with my phone? I use MTN and I don't think the have 4g network( I stand to be corrected) even if the do 3g is ok for all my downloads and other Web surfing, most of us are carried away so much by adverts that we buy so many things we don't need. Over here in port harcourt where we have chronic  "go slow", sales persons take advantage of this to bombard us with so many flashy stuffs like wrist watch( even when they can see clearly that you are already wearing one), belts( probably we should ask them if we used safety pin to hold our trousers to our waist) etc. The truth is that we may not need those very items at that moment but we end up buying them. When you add up the amount spent on such things you find out the represent a significant portion of your expenses which you could have avoided. If we could have the DISCIPLINE to cut down such expenses to the lowest minimum definitely we would have a lot left to invest and rip higher returns.

IMAGE BUILDING MONSTER 
In the world today many people strive to portray an image of what they are not, we hear stories of people making huge donations in public functions while at home their family are starving, what about people who empty their accounts to buy cars which the can't afford to maintain just to build a false image of them self's, what happened to " he is the richest, he who's pleasures are cheapest"! .
There is no gain in building false image of ourselves only to get entangled in financial obligation that we can't afford.

Question

List out 2 items you've purchased in the last 2weeks that right now thinking of it you probably don't need?

Let me go first, I bought a cardigan online last week that I don't need( I already have one), thinking of it I wish I could return it.

what of you?‎

1 Like

Re: Investment Guidelines by ernie4life(m): 7:58pm On Jul 26, 2015
Am trying to upload some nice books on personal finance pdf but I can't, please any idea on how to do this will be appreciated
Re: Investment Guidelines by taiwoliu(m): 12:22pm On Aug 01, 2015
ernie4life:
Am trying to upload some nice books on personal finance pdf but I can't, please any idea on how to do this will be appreciated
y not upload whr to download dem
Re: Investment Guidelines by ernie4life(m): 10:32am On Aug 07, 2015
TOP 10 TIPS FOR MANAGING YOUR FINANCES

1. Track your monthly spending.
Rob McCord, State Treasurer www.patreasury.gov Many people do not know how much they spend each month on food, clothing, housing, or entertainment. Whether you are paying with cash, a debit card or credit card, total your expenditures at the end the month to gain a better picture of how you’re spending your income.

2. Develop a household budget you can follow. Using the data you’ve compiled by tracking your monthly expenses, develop a realistic budget so that it’s easier live with. Track how well you follow it each month – that means continuing to track your monthly expenses.

3. Be sure to budget for savings. Your savings are a Rainy Day Fund, which is important when unforeseen expenses or emergencies arise. Be sure to budget part of your monthly paycheck for deposit into a savings account – ideally at least 10% of each check. If you find or earn extra money – put that away in a savings account, too!

4. Pay your monthly bills on time and avoid late charges. Take inventory of your regular monthly bills and make reminders for yourself on when each bill is due. That way you can avoid costly late fees, which can also damage your credit score. The best approach is to pay bills as soon as they arrive.

5. Review your credit report.
The details of your credit report can have an enormous impact on your financial future. Obtain a free report once a year at www.annualcreditreport.com, and check it for accuracy. Be sure to dispute any errors.

6. Obtain your credit score.
Your three-digit credit score tells lenders and businesses how well you manage your credit and your finances. Scores range between 500 and 850. The higher the number, the better the rating and the better chance you have of obtaining credit at a better rate. You can purchase your credit score through any of the nationwide credit reporting agencies after receiving your free annual credit report at www.annualcreditreport.com.

7. Eliminate credit card debt. Credit cards can make it easy to pile on debt. If your debt adds up faster than you can pay it off, you’re likely living beyond your means. Stop using the credit cards and pay off existing balances – the sooner you do, the less you’ll pay in interest. Remember: not all debt is bad; taking on loans for higher education or to buy a home is really an investment in your future.

8. Take advantage of free money.
If your employer offers a contribution match for retirement savings or heath savings accounts, be sure that you’re contributing enough to obtain the maximum match amount. Otherwise, you’re missing an opportunity for free money. Maximizing your contributions can lower your taxable income.

9. Assess your insurance policies.
Insurance is an important tool for protecting against financial hardships, and the premiums you pay can be one of your top household expenses. Talk with your provider to be sure you have the appropriate level of protection – that way, you’re not paying too much for coverage.

10. Use legitimate financial institutions. Millions of people do not rely on traditional banks or financial institutions to manage their money. Open a checking and/or savings account at an FDICinsured bank, savings and loan, or credit union. Be sure to research whether there are any fees for their services before choosing an institution

NOTE: copied from a website I saw online, some of the things there may not be applicable in Nigeria but some points are very important to note.
Re: Investment Guidelines by eaglevirus: 5:13pm On Nov 10, 2015
I need prices and bulk supply of transparent plastic egg crates, any help will be highly appreciated. whatsapp me 08032627648 0r idyette@gmail.com
Re: Investment Guidelines by ernie4life(m): 10:36am On Feb 19, 2016
ernie4life:
TOP 10 TIPS FOR MANAGING YOUR FINANCES

1. Track your monthly spending.
Rob McCord, State Treasurer www.patreasury.gov Many people do not know how much they spend each month on food, clothing, housing, or entertainment. Whether you are paying with cash, a debit card or credit card, total your expenditures at the end the month to gain a better picture of how you’re spending your income.

2. Develop a household budget you can follow. Using the data you’ve compiled by tracking your monthly expenses, develop a realistic budget so that it’s easier live with. Track how well you follow it each month – that means continuing to track your monthly expenses.

3. Be sure to budget for savings. Your savings are a Rainy Day Fund, which is important when unforeseen expenses or emergencies arise. Be sure to budget part of your monthly paycheck for deposit into a savings account – ideally at least 10% of each check. If you find or earn extra money – put that away in a savings account, too!

4. Pay your monthly bills on time and avoid late charges. Take inventory of your regular monthly bills and make reminders for yourself on when each bill is due. That way you can avoid costly late fees, which can also damage your credit score. The best approach is to pay bills as soon as they arrive.

5. Review your credit report.
The details of your credit report can have an enormous impact on your financial future. Obtain a free report once a year at www.annualcreditreport.com, and check it for accuracy. Be sure to dispute any errors.

6. Obtain your credit score.
Your three-digit credit score tells lenders and businesses how well you manage your credit and your finances. Scores range between 500 and 850. The higher the number, the better the rating and the better chance you have of obtaining credit at a better rate. You can purchase your credit score through any of the nationwide credit reporting agencies after receiving your free annual credit report at www.annualcreditreport.com.

7. Eliminate credit card debt. Credit cards can make it easy to pile on debt. If your debt adds up faster than you can pay it off, you’re likely living beyond your means. Stop using the credit cards and pay off existing balances – the sooner you do, the less you’ll pay in interest. Remember: not all debt is bad; taking on loans for higher education or to buy a home is really an investment in your future.

8. Take advantage of free money.
If your employer offers a contribution match for retirement savings or heath savings accounts, be sure that you’re contributing enough to obtain the maximum match amount. Otherwise, you’re missing an opportunity for free money. Maximizing your contributions can lower your taxable income.

9. Assess your insurance policies.
Insurance is an important tool for protecting against financial hardships, and the premiums you pay can be one of your top household expenses. Talk with your provider to be sure you have the appropriate level of protection – that way, you’re not paying too much for coverage.

10. Use legitimate financial institutions. Millions of people do not rely on traditional banks or financial institutions to manage their money. Open a checking and/or savings account at an FDICinsured bank, savings and loan, or credit union. Be sure to research whether there are any fees for their services before choosing an institution

NOTE: copied from a website I saw online, some of the things there may not be applicable in Nigeria but some points are very important to note.
Re: Investment Guidelines by jpphilips(m): 9:15am On May 09, 2017
princeuk21:

1) FGN Bonds are debt securities (liabilities) of the Federal Government of Nigeria issued under the authority of DMO and listed on the Nigerian Stock Exchange. The FGN has an obligation to pay the bondholder the principal and agreed interest as they fall due.

2) FGN bonds are debt instruments issued by the Federal Government of Nigeria for an agreed period of time. The investor lends an amount of money to the government and earns interest on the investment until the maturity of the bond when the principal will be returned.

3) I don't think they roll over the interest with the principal and if we are to calculate it then it should be (1,500,000 for the first year and if we multiply that figure by 5 years it should be 7,500.000).

4) Interest received on FGN bonds is not subject to tax so it is tax free.

Always here to help.
Princeuk21. wink smiley

Hi have you confirmed yet if interests on bonds are not rolled over?
Re: Investment Guidelines by lizberry1(f): 1:55pm On May 09, 2017
Are you looking for the best investment plan that would yield great returns? Rosabon Treasury Note - RTN is just for you! With this plan, not only are you availed with highly competitive rates, you also get the opportunity to negotiate your interest rate on all deposits above N1,000,000.

The RTN is a fixed deposit account that guarantees higher interest rate and a flexible investment plan.NOTE ROSABON is 24 and they are celebrating it by giving higher rate on investment from 1m upward hurry and get the rate you have been looking for..... for inquiry pls call lizzy on 08163151055
Re: Investment Guidelines by ernie4life(m): 8:50pm On May 11, 2017
jpphilips:

Hi have you confirmed yet if interests on bonds are not rolled over?

It's paid out

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Lucrative Business Can I Start With 500k? / New 4 Bedroom Duplex House Plan ( 3d Model ) / Has Anyone Heard About BUSINESS EXECUTIVE INTERNATIONAL

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.