Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,847 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:09 AM

I'm Jealous! So What?? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I'm Jealous! So What?? (7666 Views)

Who Is God Jealous Of? / Kidnappers Tell Pastor They Were Sent To Kill Him By ‘jealous Pastors’ / Why Is God A Jealous God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm Jealous! So What?? by Bvsteph: 3:19pm On Aug 31, 2014
As Christians, we can be Jealous right? We can be Jealous about our brother getting a car and we have nothing, we can be Jealous when our family gives much more attention to one sibling than the whole lot, we can be Jealous when our bestfriend is focusing on another instead of us. Jealousy is a product of love...right?

Exodus 20: 5 and so many other passages tell us about God being Jealous. If God is a Jealous God, then who are we 'NOT' to be Jealous?

Pls continue after the cut

Lets break it down into bits

1. Is Jealousy a product of Love....Yes or No?

2. God is our ultimate model. The one we must follow, the one true, and perfect and holy being. If God can be Jealous, then we can too?... Is being Jealous Right or Wrong?

A. If it's right, then why do most people leave a relationship because their partners are "too Jealous"? Why can't we all see it as a good thing not a bad thing?

B. If it's wrong, then why is God a Jealous God? God whose footsteps we must follow, can be Jealous, and He says it boldly and shows it, yet we that are His own should not? If it's right with God then why is it wrong with man? Aren't we created in God's likeness and image?
Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by Antell95(m): 3:19pm On Aug 31, 2014
lipsrsealed
Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by stinggy(m): 3:41pm On Aug 31, 2014
No angry
They are robots
undecided

1 Like

Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by Samiceman: 3:41pm On Aug 31, 2014
Owk,are u asking a question or giving us reasons to get jealous?

2 Likes

Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Aug 31, 2014
Forget Religion.

As a Human being, You have the right to be jealous. It's a perfectly normal ish to every normal Human being like every emotion.

What is wrong is to be extremely jealous because that will cause bitter resentments and harmful destructions which is not right at all - Shalom.

4 Likes

Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by tinuolababy(f): 3:42pm On Aug 31, 2014
Not good. Posters above me just dey book space. smiley smiley smiley
Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by dammymadboi: 3:43pm On Aug 31, 2014
Mumu.it not right for anybody to be jealous
Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by john1632: 3:43pm On Aug 31, 2014
God might be jealous in terms of his children serving other gods. So op don't confuse us wit dis. A christain is nt suppose 2 get jealous over anytin cos it's a fruit of d flesh.

1 Like

Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by RedArmies12: 3:43pm On Aug 31, 2014
A jealous heart is an evil heart

1 Like

Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by BRAV0O(m): 3:44pm On Aug 31, 2014
Yes , but jealous in a right manner
Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by jmoore(m): 3:44pm On Aug 31, 2014
God owns all of us, that's why he is a jealous God when he sees humans worshipping other gods.

If a husband sees another man flirting with his wife, he is right to be jealous, for only he has the right to flirt with his wife.[Note: This doesn't not apply to boyfriend and girlfriend relationship]

If it doesn't belong to you, then you have no right to be jealous. Infact, you are exhibiting envy.

More>>

The Bible makes it clear that God is not like humans in that He never commits sins, but is absolutely holy.1 However, English translations of the Hebrew scriptures say that God is jealous. Both the Old Testament2 and New Testament3 say that jealousy is a bad thing. In fact, jealousy is listed as one of the sins that will land a person in hell.4 So, if God is jealous and jealousy is a sin, then God must be the divine hypocrite.

Jealousy of God
The doctrine that God is a jealous God comes from the Old Testament books of the law of Moses. The "jealousy" is always in the context of idol worship, beginning in the Ten Commandments of Exodus 20.

"You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me, (Exodus 20:5)
for you shall not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God-- (Exodus 34:14)
"For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God. (Deuteronomy 4:24)
'You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, and on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me, (Deuteronomy 5:9)
for the LORD your God in the midst of you is a jealous God; otherwise the anger of the LORD your God will be kindled against you, and He will wipe you off, the face of the earth. (Deuteronomy 6:15)
What these five verses have in common is that they all share the same Hebrew adjective, qannâ' (Strong's H7067),5 translated with the English word "jealous." The interesting thing about this word is that it is only used in reference to God. In no instance is the word qannâ' used to describe human jealousy. The reason that God is "jealous" is because He wants people to choose to love Him.6 Jesus said that the most important commandment was to love God.7 God does not want us to waste out time worshipping pretend gods that do not exist.8

Human jealousy
Whereas God's "jealousy" is primarily restricted to a jealousy over the worship of idols that competes with His love to prevent a dedicated relationship with Him, jealousy between people takes on quite a number of forms. Two different Hebrew words are used to describe human jealousy. The Hebrew verb qânâ' (Strong's H7065)9 refers to a passionate jealousy or envy.10 The Hebrew noun qin'âh (Strong's H7068)11 takes on a wide range of meanings from sexual passion (or jealousy) to a zeal for God to anger or envy.12 The exact meaning (and the English translation is usually determined from the context.

Human vs. godly jealousy
The differences between the words describing human vs. godly jealousy are profound. For example, the jealousy that keeps one out of heaven is defined as "an envious and contentious rivalry, jealousy" (Thayer's Greek Dictionary). God does not envy an human being or anything that any human being possesses. God has no rivals. The apostle Paul indicates that there is a godly form of jealousy.13 The main reason why atheists think that God should not be jealous is that, as an English word, "jealousy" has virtually universal negative connotations. In the original languages in which the Bible is written, Hebrew and Greek, the words translated as "jealousy" in English do not always have negative connotations. In fact, the Greek word often translated "jealous" is zēlos, from which we get the English word "zealous," referring more to zeal and ardor rather than jealousy.

Conclusion
Jealousy is often thought of as being a negative trait. So, many people think that the Bible's description of God as jealous means that He must be a divine hypocrite. However, this page has shown that in the original languages in which the Bible is written, the words do not have those negative definitions. Since the word used to describe the jealousy of God is not even the same word used to describe human jealousy, it is clear that the apparent contradiction is just a result of an inability of the translated language (English) to accurately reflect the original language (Hebrew). There is no slight on the character of God in the original language.
Source>>http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/jealous_god.html

2 Likes

Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by fatdon2(m): 3:44pm On Aug 31, 2014
Answer: When we use the word “jealous,” we use it in a sense of being
envious of someone who has
something we do not have. This kind
of jealousy is a sin and is not
characteristic of a Christian; rather,
it shows that we are still being controlled by our own desires (1 Corinthians 3:3). Galatians 5:26 says, “Let us not become conceited,
provoking and envying each other.”

3 Likes

Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by asanchez(m): 3:44pm On Aug 31, 2014
HELLO...@OP are u alryt
Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by Sanchez01: 3:45pm On Aug 31, 2014
Bvsteph: As Christians, we can be Jealous right? We can be Jealous about our brother getting a car and we have nothing, we can be Jealous when our family gives much more attention to one sibling than the whole lot, we can be Jealous when our bestfriend is focusing on another instead of us. Jealousy is a product of love...right?

Exodus 20: 5 and so many other passages tell us about God being Jealous. If God is a Jealous God, then who are we 'NOT' to be Jealous?

2. God is our ultimate model. The one we must follow, the one true, and perfect and holy being. If God can be Jealous, then we can too?... Is being Jealous Right or Wrong?

A. If it's right, then why do most people leave a relationship because their partners are "too Jealous"? Why can't we all see it as a good thing not a bad thing?

B. If it's wrong, then why is God a Jealous God? God whose footsteps we must follow, can be Jealous, and He says it boldly and shows it, yet we that are His own should not? If it's right with God then why is it wrong with man? Aren't we created in God's likeness and image?
Before you turn the Scriptures upside down,I must explain some things; yes, God is jealous and His is a product of love. He wants us to serve Him and Him alone and none other. Just like we get involved with our partners and want them to love us alone. Your kind of jealous is not a product of love, it revolves around material things. You must understand the two. Material things are vain and as such, being jealous over them will only cause us to hate those who are succeeding while evil and hatred grows in our heart.

Your jealous is not for a soul, rather, for material things. And do you know what we call them? COVETOUSNESS!

#Shalom!

4 Likes

Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by Innodon(m): 3:46pm On Aug 31, 2014
Jealousy is a sin.
Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by mascot87(m): 3:46pm On Aug 31, 2014
Jealousy is a silent killer angry
Get jealous @ ur own discretion angry

And how dare you question God's reaction to anything he wish to react to in anyway? angry

Be careful
Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by ahika(m): 3:47pm On Aug 31, 2014
Jealousy is a complex emotion that encompasses many different kinds of feelings[p/b] that range from [b]fear of abandonment to rage to humiliation. Jealousy can strike both men and women when they perceive a third-party threat to a valued relationship, it can be a problem among siblings competing for parental attention, or envy for a wealthier more successful friend.

Conventional wisdom holds that jealousy is a necessary emotion because it preserves social bonds. But jealously usually does more harm than good to relationships, and can create relationship conflict and violence.

http://m.psychologytoday.com/basics/jealousy
Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by xynerise: 3:47pm On Aug 31, 2014
Even our God is a jealous God lipsrsealed. Jealousy is in every human
Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by ayusco85(m): 3:49pm On Aug 31, 2014
A woman takes her 16-year-old daughter to the doctor. The doctor says, ..........

"Okay, Mrs. James, what's the problem?"

The mother says, "It's my daughter Darla. She keeps getting these cravings, she's putting on weight, and is sick most mornings."

The doctor gives Darla a good examination, then turns to the mother and says, "Well, I don't know how to tell you this, but your Darla is pregnant- about 4 months, would be my guess."

The mother says, "Pregnant?! She can't be, she has never ever been left alone with a man! Have you, Darla?"

Darla replies, "No mother! I've never even kissed a man!"

The doctor walked over to the window and just stares out it. About five minutes pass and finally the mother says,

"Is there something wrong out there doctor?"

The doctor replies, "No, not really, it's just that the last time anything like this happened, a star appeared in the east and three wise men came over the hill. I'll be damned if I'm going to miss it this time! cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by Leward(m): 3:52pm On Aug 31, 2014
God is jealous when he sees the people he created worshipping other gods who are even nonexistent but being jealous because yourbrothet got something and you didn't is not only unholy but is bad and you are being unsettled because of a worldly item. It might even lead you into doing evil

BTW i'm on FP.
Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by Bvsteph: 3:53pm On Aug 31, 2014
Samiceman: Owk,are u asking a question or giving us reasons to get jealous?

Lol. Question: Is it wrong to be jealous?
Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by Bvsteph: 3:54pm On Aug 31, 2014
Erm... i don't grab, pls break it down
jmoore: God owns all of us, that's why he is a jealous God when he sees humans worshipping other gods.

If it doesn't belong to you, then you have no right to be jealous. Infact, you are exhibiting envy.
Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by Mucokey(m): 3:55pm On Aug 31, 2014
Bvsteph: As Christians, we can be Jealous right? We can be Jealous about our brother getting a car and we have nothing, we can be Jealous when our family gives much more attention to one sibling than the whole lot, we can be Jealous when our bestfriend is focusing on another instead of us. Jealousy is a product of love...right?

Don't get twisted bro
Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by Bvsteph: 3:55pm On Aug 31, 2014
OK. So God being our role model...can we be jealous cause He can be jealous too?
mascot87: Jealousy is a silent killer angry
Get jealous @ ur own discretion angry

And how dare you question God's reaction to anything he wish to react to in anyway? angry

Be careful
Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by kindnyce(m): 3:55pm On Aug 31, 2014
not only christians,all humans must not be jealous..........
Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by Bvsteph: 3:56pm On Aug 31, 2014
So God is wrong for being jealous?
dammymadboi: Mumu.it not right for anybody to be jealous
Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by Bvsteph: 3:57pm On Aug 31, 2014
For real? Are we not supposed to walk in God's footsteps? Is there a bible passage telling us not to be jealous?
john1632: God might be jealous in terms of his children serving other gods. So op don't confuse us wit dis. A christain is nt suppose 2 get jealous over anytin cos it's a fruit of d flesh.
Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by gift01: 3:57pm On Aug 31, 2014
If its good, the Lord through the Bible would have told us so
Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by Bvsteph: 3:57pm On Aug 31, 2014
Pls the bible passage. Thanks
RedArmies12: A jealous heart is an evil heart
Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by Bvsteph: 3:58pm On Aug 31, 2014
What is the right manner?
BRAV0O: Yes , but jealous in a right manner
Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by Bvsteph: 3:59pm On Aug 31, 2014
lol, very fine. Just need clarifications
asanchez: HELLO...@OP are u alryt
Re: I'm Jealous! So What?? by Bvsteph: 4:00pm On Aug 31, 2014
Ok, but we can be jealous of someone we love right? So far as it's not envy?
fatdon2: Answer: When we use the word “jealous,” we use it in a sense of being
envious of someone who has
something we do not have. This kind
of jealousy is a sin and is not
characteristic of a Christian; rather,
it shows that we are still being controlled by our own desires (1 Corinthians 3:3). Galatians 5:26 says, “Let us not become conceited,
provoking and envying each other.”

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Does Your Family Know That You Are An Atheist? What Are Their Thoughts On It? / Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor / Do You Believe Jesus Will Come Back Again To Take His Saints?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.