Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,000 members, 7,825,100 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor (7678 Views)

Choose: 5 Million Naira Or Pastor Adeboye To Visit You At Home / Do Humans Have The Ability To Bless Or Curse Others? / Is There Anybody Or Pastor Like Tb Joshua? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by newmi(m): 11:37pm On Aug 15, 2010
Well share your views on this post, who's in the best position to pronounce blessings or is it a matter of context.
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by Nobody: 12:32am On Aug 16, 2010
Both. . .buh, me think . . .
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by Joagbaje(m): 7:08am On Aug 16, 2010
It depends on what you mean, they both have their places. There is also a difference between Christian parents and non Christian parent. What blessing can a juju man bless his son with ? But if you are asking who has more spiritual authority over the other, it is the pastor ofcourse.
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by KunleOshob(m): 7:41am On Aug 16, 2010
^^^
Pastors can be changed or discarded, parents are divine and unchangeable.your parents are determined by God, you choose your pastor yourself based on human influence. Who has more spiritual authurity? Go figure!
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by TV01(m): 1:02pm On Aug 16, 2010
I knew a topic of this type would smoke certain people out cool!

@Joagbaje, I have asked you several questions now, all of which you have failed to reply. Please surprise me in this instance.

Regards "Spiritual Authority", please explain - however briefly or however long - its working, how it is exercised, how one subjects oneself to it and more pressingly, its specific place in Christianity.

Thanks

TV
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by toluxa1(m): 1:04pm On Aug 16, 2010
KunleOshob:

^^^
Pastors can be changed or discarded, parents are divine and unchangeable.your parents are determined by God, you choose your pastor yourself based on human influence. Who has more spiritual authurity? Go figure!

HERE IS YOUR ANSWER.

But Ultimately GOD IS IN THE BEST POSITION TO PRONOUNCE BLESSINGS, for Who is he that saith, and it cometh to pass, when the Lord commandeth it not?
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by Jenwitemi(m): 1:08pm On Aug 16, 2010
Good post.
KunleOshob:

^^^
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by chris4vic(f): 1:21pm On Aug 16, 2010
Both r important pple in one's life. But goin thru bible history, it seem to me dat blessin frm the parent is more potent. I'm a livin witnes to wat I'm saying, tho' I'm not sayin the blessin frm men of god do no work
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by KunleOshob(m): 1:34pm On Aug 16, 2010
By divine design children are placed under the authority of their parents and their parents(in most cases) genuinely love an d care for them, they bless their children with material and spiritual needs and would even sacrofice their lives for their children. On the other hand most pastors are only interested in their pockets and would never lift a finger to bless you materially, they claim to bless you "spiritually" whilst they you to "pay" them for their services materially. Simply there is no basis for comparision, would stick to my parents anyday, at least I am sure their love and care is genuine.
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by TV01(m): 1:45pm On Aug 16, 2010
KunleOshob:

By divine design children are placed under the authority of their parents and their parents(in most cases) genuinely love an d care for them, they bless their children with material and spiritual needs and would even sacrofice their lives for their children.

You know I'm not partial to the exclamation "GBAM". But High Velocity Armour piercing GBAM, "Out before he hit the floor" GBAM, "Rocket launched volley from 35 yards at 85 mph into the top left hand corner GBAM, I'll stop now, I don pioneer amĀ  grin!

KunleOshob:

On the other hand most pastors are only interested in their pockets and would never lift a finger to bless you materially, they claim to bless you "spiritually" whilst they you to "pay" them for their services materially. Simply there is no basis for comparision, would stick to my parents anyday, at least I am sure their love and care is genuine.

Motivation apart - and that is a critical aspect - as a "model" how does it even work? If you change locations, is there a "transfer process" - like when one changes GP or school. If "Your Pastor" has his (even her nowadays sef?) communion with God impaired, is yours also? Who is Spiritual authority over "Your Pastor" and onward up the chain? where does this hierarchy end?

Oya Joagbaje, you seem very emphatic on your earlier declaration, perhaps you would care to expansiate here. Thanks.

TV
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by Rhino3dm: 2:05pm On Aug 16, 2010
^^^ the pastor wannabe is AWOL. . . . Lol.
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by Image123(m): 2:38pm On Aug 16, 2010
Your pastor and your biological parents are both your parents. Any of them can bless you. Skip that, you can bless yourself even. Anyone who blesses the Lord has ALL right to bless him/herself.
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by Rhino3dm: 2:56pm On Aug 16, 2010
^^^ is that your own personal view? If you cant support it with a scripture then tag it with IMO.
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by ogajim(m): 3:12pm On Aug 16, 2010
Don't mind all these so called NL Pastors,

After God, it is your PARENTS, The office of "Pastor" in today's Christianity is up for debate as it's been turned into what the Bible never intended in these end times.
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by true2god: 3:32pm On Aug 16, 2010
My parent of course
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by Joagbaje(m): 3:51pm On Aug 16, 2010
@Tv I'll give a response to your post by 8pm this evening when I'm free but I didn't get any questions unless I missed them so I won't mind if you raise up the questions again or make refrence to the thread.
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by nuclearboy(m): 5:38pm On Aug 16, 2010
8pm ehn? I'll be here to see that explanation
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by aletheia(m): 6:01pm On Aug 16, 2010
@Topic: Parents of course! Here are 4 reasons for my answer.

#1. Exodus 20:12. Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
#2. Leviticus 19:3. Ye shall fear every man his mother, and his father, and keep my sabbaths: I am the LORD your God.
#3. Ephesians 6: 2-3. Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promisewink That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.
#4. Matthew 15:4-5. For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by newmi(m): 6:54pm On Aug 16, 2010
perhaps l should be more specific in terms of context, in the case of a wedding service,
who is more rightly positioned to pronounce the blessing on the newly wed couples.

Well since the institution of marriage is the brain child of God, thus the "man of God" as a representative of the author (God) is much more rightly positioned to pronounce the blessing. l would find time to expantiate in a later post with details.
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by Okijajuju1(m): 7:09pm On Aug 16, 2010
As an Alternative Medicine Practitioner, I will answer this question as best I can;

The correct answer is simply your parents. Not your Pastor, but your Parents. Its like kunleoshobb rightly said, your pastors are a product of external influences, your parents are a product of blood and divine mandate. The gods do not recognize any other person as your spiritual guardians but your parents, thats why if your parents should curse you, you are cursed indeed just like if they should pronounce a blessing on you, you are truly blessed.

In a marriage situation, a pastor is allowed to pray for the couples and wish them the best in their marital life, but the parents of both couples are actually the ones supposed to lay hands on the couples and bless them,
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by aletheia(m): 7:58pm On Aug 16, 2010
newmi:

perhaps l should be more specific in terms of context, in the case of a wedding service,
who is more rightly positioned to pronounce the blessing on the newly wed couples.

Well since the institution of marriage is the brain child of God, thus the "man of God" as a representative of the author (God) is much more rightly positioned to pronounce the blessing. l would find time to expantiate in a later post with details.
^^So before "pastors" and MOG showed up, how did weddings get done? Where was the pastor or MOG mentioned here:
Genesis 2:24. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
Was the pastor or MOG mentioned in Genesis 24 as well?
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by JeSoul(f): 8:13pm On Aug 16, 2010
aletheia:

^^So before "pastors" and MOG showed up, how did weddings get done?
lol.

This topic reminds of this other topic from a while back:

If U Fancied A Lady In your Church, Must U Inform D Pastor Before Approaching Her?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-397372.0.html
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by Joagbaje(m): 8:22pm On Aug 16, 2010
@tv
TV01:

I knew a topic of this type would smoke certain people out cool!

@Joagbaje, I have asked you several questions now, all of which you have failed to reply. Please surprise me in this instance.

Regards "Spiritual Authority", please explain - however briefly or however long - its working, how it is exercised, how one subjects oneself to it and more pressingly, its specific place in Christianity
Tv
Thanks

I don't know exactly what you mean by spiritual authority .
We have the believers authority, we have the authority of the word and the holyghost. And we have pastoral authority .
All has to do with spiritual authority.
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by Joagbaje(m): 10:15pm On Aug 16, 2010
@ tv01

I didn't remember that you were quoting my earlier post, I thought you were just asking in general based on my numerous posts.

But if you are asking who has more spiritual authority [/b]over the other, it is the pastor

We can't deny the authority the parents have over the children, but at the same time , we must recognize , their authority has limits.
1. When they reach the age of accountability.
2. When the parents take a stand against the word of God.

When a man is born again, he's Gods property, there's God purpose to fulfil. The person that has spiritual authority to bless them is the pastor. The parents have parental authority for a period in their lives, but the pastors spiritual authority to bless supersedes the parental . If parents are not born again, they have no blessing to offer a Christian . Because there's a rule in blessing. You can't bless your senior! The lesser person is blessed by the greater person.

[b]Heb 7:7

The less is blessed of the better.
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by Joagbaje(m): 10:34pm On Aug 16, 2010
Okija_juju:

As an Alternative Medicine Practitioner, I will answer this question as best I can;

The correct answer is simply your parents. Not your Pastor, but your Parents. Its like kunleoshobb rightly said, your pastors are a product of external influences, your parents are a product of blood and divine mandate. The gods do not recognize any other person as your spiritual guardians but your parents, thats why if your parents should curse you, you are cursed indeed just like if they should pronounce a blessing on you, you are truly blessed.

That's If you are are unsaved.

In a marriage situation, a pastor is allowed to pray for the couples and wish them the best in their marital life, but the parents of both couples are actually the ones supposed to lay hands on the couples and bless them,

parental authority is not spiritual authority. But pastoral authority is spiritual. Marriage is a spiritual institution and not a social one. That is why we have the traditional one where the parents are honoured but, in church? It is the pastor that they are submitted to that has the power and anointing to bless them.

Even the traditional wedding, parents that are unspiritual have nothing to impart to a saint.Theres exception for Christian parents who are spiritual. These are the first spiritual authority over the children. I asked in my first post. What blessing can a juju man pronounce on you?. All parents are not the same . Parents that are not spiritual have nothing to offer. The pastor is Gods representative to bless.
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by REALTRUTH1: 11:33pm On Aug 16, 2010
Joagbaje:

@ tv01
I didn't remember that you were quoting my earlier post, I thought you were just asking in general based on my numerous posts.
We can't deny the authority the parents have over the children, but at the same time , we must recognize , their authority has limits.
1. When they reach the age of accountability.
2. When the parents take a stand against the word of God.
When a man is born again, he's Gods property, there's God purpose to fulfil. The person that has spiritual authority to bless them is the pastor. The parents have parental authority for a period in their lives, but the pastors spiritual authority to bless supersedes the parental . If parents are not born again, they have no blessing to offer a Christian . Because there's a rule in blessing. You can't bless your senior! The lesser person is blessed by the greater person.
Heb 7:7
The less is blessed of the better
With all due respect,,am deeply sorry to say that I have to insult you for trying to insult peoples intelligent here,,I would you re a very stupid and one of the false pastors parading the streets of Nigeria. Who is a man of God ? and where in the Bible did you see the above bolded statement. This how you people go about breaking peoples home in the name of a God you don't,,Did you not read up where Ephe 6 Verese 2 to 3 says what should be to parents? Why is it at Deeper Life Bible church they always insist on parental consent as against the penterascals doctrine that have brought confussion in christianity in nigeria,,,
I repeat again you re and must be very stupid and silly to make the above bolded statement,,,Can you smell the coffee that more and more people are becoming very aware and informed of the manipulation,deception and fraud your so called men of God re becoming these days? So I will allow the authority of the man of God "RUN FROM YOUR LIFE MINISTRY" to have authority over my son,,or I will allow ur man of God that I will have to pay #200 for BAMITISM and where I will consider sunday service as ORDINARY service,,,
As Christian and as a person I have virtually no respect for any NIGERIAN PASTOR,,,except fro KUMUYI AND BAKARE,,,,
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by REALTRUTH1: 11:42pm On Aug 16, 2010
Joagbaje:

That's If you are are unsaved.

parental authority is not spiritual authority. But pastoral authority is spiritual.
How many pastors in Nigeria are actually saved or born-again? That is the question that begs for an answer,,If marriage is based on ur definition,,why was it in about 2 parishes of RCCG last year,,,within a year marriage contracted got divorced,,,or why is it that after the elders came together to rejoice with Pastor Ighodalo and got all the so called spiritual blessings from all the pastors and GO's,,,,and just 2yrs in his wedding,,,he was asked to either quit the marriage or quit the church?,,,is it that all the men of God that graced his wedding were not born again enough or not spiritual enough to know that he was married and divorced b4,,,a story everybody knew about him,,,
YOU MUST stop spiritualising and indoctrinating people because the wrath of God shall befall you and ur likes who have brought the name of God to disrepute,,,
How can any sane person call the criminals in Nigeria men of God,,
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by REALTRUTH1: 11:45pm On Aug 16, 2010
@Joagbaje

How many pastors in Nigeria are actually saved or born-again? That is the question that begs for an answer,,If marriage is based on your definition,,why was it in about 2 parishes of RCCG last year,,,within a year marriage contracted got divorced,,,or why is it that after the elders came together to rejoice with Pastor Ighodalo and got all the so called spiritual blessings from all the pastors and GO's,,,,and just 2yrs in his wedding,,,he was asked to either quit the marriage or quit the church?,,,is it that all the men of God that graced his wedding were not born again enough or not spiritual enough to know that he was married and divorced b4,,,a story everybody knew about him,,,
YOU MUST stop spiritualising and indoctrinating people because the wrath of God shall befall you and your likes who have brought the name of God to disrepute,,,
How can any sane person call the criminals in Nigeria men of God,,
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by nuclearboy(m): 11:56pm On Aug 16, 2010
@Pastor Agbaje:

[1] You say "parental authority" is not "spiritual - what is it and from whom does it come?
[2] What happens when the father is also a "Pastor" but the child attends another ministry probably due to working outside town? who has the "spiritual" authority in such case?
[3] You say marriage is a "spiritual" institution and only in church does the anointing to "bless" exists? What of those marriages that took place in a registry? Is God absent from such or have such lost God's Blessings? What church did the Apostle Peter marry in?
[4] This pastoral "spiritual" authority - what happens to it where the pastor falls by the wayside? Is it transferred or kept "in holding" till another submission to another pastor. Like in the case of such as Jimmy Swarggart, perharps?

Please! Let us learn from you
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by Horus(m): 12:25am On Aug 17, 2010
You parents are in the best position to bless you; Your parents are the genetic and spiritual link to your Greats ancestors.
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by Image123(m): 6:32am On Aug 17, 2010
Rhino.3dm:

^^^ is that your own personal view? If you cant support it with a scripture then tag it with IMO.
It's scriptural, they are both your parents. English is disturbing most people, parents are simply people who God has given us to take care of us.
Some people just get unnecessarily sentimental. Just because your own pastor is/was irresponsible doesn't mean others' pastors are irresponsible. BTW, irresponsible pastors are a product of irresponsible members and vice versa.
Re: Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor by Okijajuju1(m): 7:22am On Aug 17, 2010
Lets look at blessings in the bible with regards to parents
Isaac blessing his son Jacob:
Gen 27:26-27

26 And his father Isaac said unto him, Come near now, and kiss me, my son.

27 And he came near, and kissed him: and he smelled the smell of his raiment, and blessed him, and said, See, the smell of my son is as the smell of a field which the LORD hath blessed:
KJV

Talks about a father blessin his son. (Isaac was not a prophet)

Isaac blessing Jacob: Gen 27:10

10 And thou shalt bring it to thy father, that he may eat, and that he may bless thee before his death.
KJV

Yet another instance of parental blessing

Joseph's children being blessed by Isreal Josephs father:
Gen 48:9

9 And Joseph said unto his father, They are my sons, whom God hath given me in this place. And he said, Bring them, I pray thee, unto me, and I will bless them.
KJV

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Do You Believe Jesus Will Come Back Again To Take His Saints? / Does Your Family Know That You Are An Atheist? What Are Their Thoughts On It? / How Did Genesis' Writer Gain Access To Such Accurate Scientific Information

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.