Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,876 members, 7,817,578 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:48 PM

"What Is Roman Catholicism?" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "What Is Roman Catholicism?" (1431 Views)

Are Roman Catholicism And Christianity The Same Thing? / Comparison Grid: Roman Catholicism, Jehovah Witnesses, Mormon With Christianity / Paganism And Catholicism: Sun Worship Symbols (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"What Is Roman Catholicism?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:09pm On Sep 01, 2014
Question: "What is Roman Catholicism?"

Answer: The Roman Catholic Church portrays itself as the one legitimate heir to New Testament Christianity, and the Pope as the successor to Peter, the first bishop of Rome. While those details are debatable, there is no question that Roman church history reaches back to ancient times. The apostle Paul wrote his letter to the Romans about AD 55, and addressed a church body that existed prior to his first visit there (but he made no mention of Peter, though he greeted others by name). Despite repeated persecutions by the government, a vibrant Christian community existed in Rome after apostolic times. Those early Roman Christians were just like their brethren in other parts of the world—simple followers of Jesus Christ.

Things changed drastically when the Roman Emperor Constantine professed a conversion to Christianity in AD 312. He began to make changes which ultimately led to the formation of the Roman Catholic Church. He issued the Edict of Milan in 313, which granted freedom of worship throughout the empire. When doctrinal disputes arose, Constantine presided over the first ecumenical church council at Nicaea in AD 325, even though he held no official authority in the churches. By the time of his death, Christianity was the favoured, if not the official, religion of the Roman Empire. The term "Roman Catholic" was defined by Emperor Theodosius on February 27, 380 in the Theodosian Code. In that document, he referred to those who hold to the "religion which was delivered to the Romans by the divine Apostle Peter" as "Roman Catholic Christians," and gave them the official sanction of the empire.

The fall of the Roman Empire and the rise of the Catholic Church are really two branches of the same story, as the power was transferred from one entity to the other. From the time of Constantine (AD 312) until the fall of the Roman Empire in 476, the emperors of Rome claimed a certain amount of authority within the church, even though it was disputed by many church leaders. During those formative years, there were many disputes over authority, structure, and doctrine. The emperors sought to increase their authority by granting privileges to various bishops, resulting in disputes about primacy within the churches. At the same time, some of the bishops sought to increase their authority and prestige by accusing others of false doctrine and seeking state support of their positions. Many of those disputes resulted in very sinful behaviour, which are a disgrace to the name of Christ.

Just like today, some of those who lived in the leading cities tended to exalt themselves above their contemporaries in the rural areas. The third century saw the rise of an ecclesiastical hierarchy patterned after the Roman government. The bishop of a city was over the presbyters, or priests, of the local congregations, controlling the ministry of the churches, and the Bishop of Rome began to establish himself as supreme over all. Though some historians tell these details as the history of "the church," there were many church leaders in those days which neither stooped to those levels nor acknowledged any ecclesiastical hierarchy. The vast majority of churches in the first four centuries derived their authority and doctrine from the Bible, and traced their lineage directly back to the apostles, not to the church of Rome. In the New Testament, the terms "elder," "pastor," and "bishop" are used interchangeably for the spiritual leaders of any church (see 1 Peter 5:1-3 where the Greek root words are translated "elders," "feed," and "oversight".) By the time Gregory became pope in AD 590, the empire was in a shambles, and he assumed imperial powers along with his ecclesiastical authority. From that time on, the church and state were fully intertwined as the Holy Roman Empire, with the pope exercising authority over kings and emperors.

What are the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church that distinguish it from other Christian churches? Whole books have been written on this subject, but a sampling of the doctrines will be outlined here.

Roman Catholicism

The bishops, with the Pope as their head, rule the universal Church.
God has entrusted revelation to the bishops.
The Pope is infallible in his teaching.

Scripture and Tradition together are the Word of God.

Mary is the co-redeemer, for she participated with Christ in the painful act of redemption.
Mary is the co-mediator, to whom we can entrust all our cares and petitions.

Initial justification is by means of baptism.

Adults must prepare for justification through faith and good works.

Grace is merited by good works.

Salvation is attained by cooperating with grace through faith, good works, and participation in the sacraments.
No one can know if he will attain to eternal life.

The Roman Catholic Church is necessary for salvation.

Christ's body and blood exist wholly and entirely in every fragment of consecrated bread and wine in every Roman Catholic church around the world.
The sacrifice of the cross is perpetuated in the Sacrifice of the Mass.
Each sacrifice of the Mass appeases God's wrath against sin.

The sacrificial work of redemption is continually carried out through the sacrifice of the Mass.

Biblical Teaching

Christ, the head of the body, rules the universal church (Colossians 1:18.)

God has entrusted revelation to the saints (Jude 3).

God alone is infallible (Numbers 23:19; Acts 17:11).

Scripture alone is the Word of God (John 10:35; 2 Timothy 3:16,17; 2 Peter 1:20,21; Mark 7:1-13).

Christ alone is the Redeemer, for He alone suffered and died for sin (1 Peter 1:18,19).

Christ Jesus is the one mediator to whom we can entrust all our cares and petitions (1 Timothy 2:5; John 14:13,14; 1 Peter 5:7).

Justification is by faith alone (Romans 3:28).

God justifies ungodly sinners who believe (Romans 4:5). Good works are the result of salvation, not the cause (Ephesians 2:8-10).

Grace is a free gift (Romans 11:6).

Salvation is attained by grace through faith apart from works (Ephesians 2:10).

The believer can know that he has eternal life by the Word of God and the testimony of the Holy Spirit who indwells believers(1 John 5:13; Romans 8:16).

There is salvation in no one but the Lord Jesus Christ, "for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved" (Acts 4:12).

The bread and wine are symbols of the body and blood of Christ, and He is bodily present in heaven (1 Corinthians 11:23-25; Hebrews 10:12,13).

The sacrifice of the cross is finished (John 19:30).

The once-for-all sacrifice of the cross fully appeased God's wrath against sin (Hebrews 10:12-18).

The sacrificial work of redemption was finished when Christ gave His life for us on the cross (Ephesians 1:7; Hebrews 1:3).

These doctrines don't date back all the way to Constantine, except for perhaps in seed form, but were slowly adopted over many years as various popes issued decrees. In many cases, the doctrines are not even based on Scripture, but on a document of the church. Most Roman Catholics consider themselves to be Christians and are unaware of the differences between their beliefs and the Bible. Sadly, the Roman Catholic Church has fostered that ignorance by discouraging the personal study of the Bible and making the people reliant on the priests for their understanding of the Bible.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/Roman-Catholicism.html#ixzz3C4GZMxsj
Re: "What Is Roman Catholicism?" by Nobody: 3:38pm On Sep 01, 2014
LMAO. grin
Even as an atheist i can tell this article is full of poo.
Re: "What Is Roman Catholicism?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:59pm On Sep 01, 2014
Apatheist:

LMAO. grin

Is that not why you ended up being an atheist (unbeliever?) undecided
Re: "What Is Roman Catholicism?" by Rich4god(m): 4:00pm On Sep 01, 2014
Apatheist: LMAO. grin
lol... @ola, you see what you have caused for yoursef... If you use half the time you spent in spreading hatred against the church to better your relationship with christ... Walahi, you would have been proud as st paul for having run the race well... Alas, all you do is help the devil in dividing christianity....

1 Like

Re: "What Is Roman Catholicism?" by Rich4god(m): 4:01pm On Sep 01, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

am done dicussing with you... Cos i can see that you already have an agenda to fulfill... No need commenting again...
Re: "What Is Roman Catholicism?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:17pm On Sep 01, 2014
Rich4god:

lol... @ola, you see what you have caused for yoursef... If you use half the time you spent in spreading hatred against the church to better your relationship with christ... Walahi, you would have been proud as st paul for having run the race well... Alas, all you do is help the devil in dividing christianity....

How have I divided Christianity? Do you see yourself as a Christian or a Roman catholic? undecided
Re: "What Is Roman Catholicism?" by Rich4god(m): 4:18pm On Sep 01, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

How have I divided Christianity? Do you see yourself as a Christian or a Roman catholic? undecided
I think the question should be... Do you see catholics as christians...
Re: "What Is Roman Catholicism?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:19pm On Sep 01, 2014
Rich4god:

am done dicussing with you... Cos i can see that you already have an agenda to fulfill... No need commenting again...

Good. My agenda is to make you believe in Christ alone for your salvation.
Re: "What Is Roman Catholicism?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:23pm On Sep 01, 2014
Rich4god:

Good question. Let the pictures in the cartoons posted give you answers to that.

Are Roman Catholics Christians?

Catholics trust in their religion and good works for salvation, but neither can save. Only Jesus can!

www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0071/0071_01.asp
Re: "What Is Roman Catholicism?" by Rich4god(m): 4:25pm On Sep 01, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Good. My agenda is to make you believe in Christ alone for your salvation.
By bringing up lies abi...
Re: "What Is Roman Catholicism?" by Nobody: 4:26pm On Sep 01, 2014
Initially my first impulse was to ignore this thread since Oladeegbu is obviously trying to create multiple catholic threads and even trying to ressurrect old ones only in a bid to satisty his sadostistic anti-catholic urge.I just thought I should post on the origin of the term "Roman catholic"

Roman Catholic (term)

This article discusses the term "Roman Catholic", its usage and origin
The term Roman Catholic appeared in the English language at the beginning of the 17th century, to differentiate specific groups of Christians in communion with the Pope from others; comparable terms in other languages already existed. It has continued to be widely used in the English language ever since, although its usage has changed over the centuries.[1]

The church widely known as the Catholic Church consists of 23 autonomous churches (all of which are subject to the Pope)— one "Western" and 22 "Eastern" — governed by two sets of Codes of Canon Law.[2] To refer to all 23 autonomous Churches together, official Church documents often use the term "Catholic Church" or, less frequently, the term "Roman Catholic Church". The usage that makes the term "Roman Catholic" mean members of the Latin Rite or Western Church to the exclusion of those who belong to the Eastern Catholic Churches does not appear in any recent document of the Holy See, and popes have used the term "Roman Catholic Church" on various occasions throughout the 20th century to mean instead the whole Church without exclusion of any part.[3]

In popular usage, "Catholic Church" is usually understood to mean the same as "Roman Catholic Church". In compound forms such as "Roman Catholic worship" the term is sometimes used to differentiate Western (Latin Church) practices from Eastern. However, in itself the word "catholic" translates into English as "universal" or "pertaining to the whole", as opposed to "particular" or "related to a part". Being "catholic" is one of the Four Marks of the Church set out in the Nicene Creed, a statement of belief accepted by many churches, even if not in communion with the Pope.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholic_(term)
Re: "What Is Roman Catholicism?" by Rich4god(m): 4:27pm On Sep 01, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Good question. Let the pictures in the cartoons posted give you answers to that.
Am using phone so I cant see whats on that carton. I ask again... Do you see catholics as christians...? I want a direct answer from you and not any link or explanation. All I want is yes or no...
Re: "What Is Roman Catholicism?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:28pm On Sep 01, 2014
Rich4god:

By bringing up lies abi...

It only become lies in the eyes of those who have rejected the truth of God's word and replaced it with their traditions.
Re: "What Is Roman Catholicism?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:31pm On Sep 01, 2014
Rich4god:

Am using phone so I cant see whats on that carton. I ask again... Do you see catholics as christians...? I want a direct answer from you and not any link or explanation. All I want is yes or no...

You couldn't see the pictures because I haven't posted them yet. Go with me on a journey to cartoonese town. cheesy

Re: "What Is Roman Catholicism?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:34pm On Sep 01, 2014
chukwudi44:

Initially my first impulse was to ignore this thread since Oladeegbu is obviously trying to create multiple catholic threads and even trying to ressurrect old ones only in a bid to satisty his sadostistic anti-catholic urge.I just thought I should post on the origin of the term "Roman catholic"

Roman Catholic (term)

This article discusses the term "Roman Catholic", its usage and origin
The term Roman Catholic appeared in the English language at the beginning of the 17th century, to differentiate specific groups of Christians in communion with the Pope from others; comparable terms in other languages already existed. It has continued to be widely used in the English language ever since, although its usage has changed over the centuries.[1]

The church widely known as the Catholic Church consists of 23 autonomous churches (all of which are subject to the Pope)— one "Western" and 22 "Eastern" — governed by two sets of Codes of Canon Law.[2] To refer to all 23 autonomous Churches together, official Church documents often use the term "Catholic Church" or, less frequently, the term "Roman Catholic Church". The usage that makes the term "Roman Catholic" mean members of the Latin Rite or Western Church to the exclusion of those who belong to the Eastern Catholic Churches does not appear in any recent document of the Holy See, and popes have used the term "Roman Catholic Church" on various occasions throughout the 20th century to mean instead the whole Church without exclusion of any part.[3]

In popular usage, "Catholic Church" is usually understood to mean the same as "Roman Catholic Church". In compound forms such as "Roman Catholic worship" the term is sometimes used to differentiate Western (Latin Church) practices from Eastern. However, in itself the word "catholic" translates into English as "universal" or "pertaining to the whole", as opposed to "particular" or "related to a part". Being "catholic" is one of the Four Marks of the Church set out in the Nicene Creed, a statement of belief accepted by many churches, even if not in communion with the Pope.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholic_(term)

Are Roman catholic Christians? undecided (contd.)

Re: "What Is Roman Catholicism?" by Rich4god(m): 4:35pm On Sep 01, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

You couldn't see the pictures because I haven't posted them yet. Go with me on a journey to cartoonese town. cheesy
All i want is for you to tell me yes or no... Stop acting like you are scared to answer me directly...
Re: "What Is Roman Catholicism?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:54pm On Sep 01, 2014
Rich4god:

All i want is for you to tell me yes or no... Stop acting like you are scared to answer me directly...

There is no yes or no to your question. The cartoon leads you to the answer. cheesy

Re: "What Is Roman Catholicism?" by Rich4god(m): 5:37pm On Sep 01, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

There is no yes or no to your question. The cartoon leads you to the answer. cheesy
Am saying this again... Am using phone... I can virw the carton but cant read the wordings... I ask for the last time... Do you consider catholics christians... Yes or No... If you are confident in what you are saying, why cant you just answer me...
Re: "What Is Roman Catholicism?" by Nobody: 6:09pm On Sep 01, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Olaadegbu, the one true GOD.
You can read minds now? shocked
Re: "What Is Roman Catholicism?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:43pm On Sep 01, 2014
Rich4god:

Am saying this again... Am using phone... I can virw the carton but cant read the wordings... I ask for the last time... Do you consider catholics christians... Yes or No... If you are confident in what you are saying, why cant you just answer me...

What do you think? undecided

Re: "What Is Roman Catholicism?" by Rich4god(m): 6:45pm On Sep 01, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

What do you think? undecided
with this your response, its obvious you are not serious with you argument... Nice chatting with you...
Re: "What Is Roman Catholicism?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:47pm On Sep 01, 2014
Apatheist:

Olaadegbu, the one true GOD.
You can read minds now? shocked

Are not an unbeliever?

Re: "What Is Roman Catholicism?" by Nobody: 7:21pm On Sep 01, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Are not an unbeliever?
You said:
OLAADEGBU:
Is that not why you ended up being an atheist (unbeliever?)

You can read minds to know the reason I stopped believing in fairy tales?
Re: "What Is Roman Catholicism?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:31pm On Sep 01, 2014
Apatheist:
You said:

You can read minds to know the reason I stopped believing in fairy tales?

And you cannot resist posting in matters you stopped believing in. undecided

Re: "What Is Roman Catholicism?" by Nobody: 7:39pm On Sep 01, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

And you cannot resist posting in matters you stopped believing in. undecided
And you cannot resist posting about matters you don't believe in. undecided
Re: "What Is Roman Catholicism?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:43pm On Sep 01, 2014
Apatheist:

And you cannot resist posting about matters you don't believe in. undecided

Yes, you? cheesy

Re: "What Is Roman Catholicism?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:28pm On Sep 08, 2014
Rich4god:

The question should be...Do you see yourself as a Christian?

(1) (Reply)

Religious & Non-religious: 6 Steps To Quit Indecency And self-service Forever / Prayer To All Igbo's / If We Give Room To Gay Marriage We Must Give Room To Bestiality.m.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.