Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,718 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:43 PM

The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria (44506 Views)

Pls I Need Help For Waec Requirements To Study Any Engineering Course / Electrical Engineering Course Outline / Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:55am On Sep 03, 2014
Engineers are not really recognised in our present day nigeria. Thousands and thousands are out on the streets without no job. The unemployment rate in engineering is really alarming but if you want to give yourself a bit of hope, chemical engineering should be your big bite.

3 Likes

Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by GodswillAJudins(m): 8:09am On Sep 03, 2014
dhope: i can tell u dt d best and central engineering course is mechanical because it is full of opportunities. u can perform d roles of petroleum and chemical engrs in oil and gas industry,u can work in manufacturing industry and automotive industry,u can work with building consultant firm as engr,u can decide to work wit govt MDA's, u hav what it takes/backgrd to become project manager and ure nt limited to mgt works lik bank and auditing firm's although these are nt field jobs. for confirmatn,visit job sites to see d demand of mech engrs by coys. u will know dis in schl because all other engr courses will keep borrowing ur course till part 2/3 depending on each schl and u can pass d aptitute test of most of other discipline wit ur backgrd in mechanical.

Thanks its now left for me to Choose between FUTA PDS(in mechanical engineering) or OAU Predegree ( in chemical engineering) so I need your thought about this. Thanks ones again.
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by GodswillAJudins(m): 8:16am On Sep 03, 2014
Seun: Don't be in a hurry to make a decision. Spend some time learning what kind of work each Engineering discipline involves and which you like best. There is nothing like best engineering course to study. You need to understand what each involves to pick the one that is best for you.

Thanks sir, really appreciate ur comment,
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by Walexey(m): 8:24am On Sep 03, 2014
I was surprised no one mentioned Mechatronics and systems Engineering....anyway its a new course in naija and i dont knw many universities or polythecnics dat offer it as a course of study!...u wanna hav relevance in any organisation Mechatronics is wat to study.it is a course dat comprises of d major principles of Mechanical and electrical/electronics engineering and is concerned with d automation of this principles...and then u'll be shocked to discover dat students of mechatronics do alot of work in robot synthesis! Great isn't it?? With all of dis in mind am pretty sure a firm/company or industry would be glad to employ sum1 with such versatality of knowledge. The onli disadvantage is dat u'll work ur life out,tnk God u said u re hard working! And as of nw there's no graduate of d course in naija in my institution 4 instance d futherest set re in 300 level so wen graduates are available expect them to be d cakes in d nation!....choose wisely

1 Like

Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by GodswillAJudins(m): 8:28am On Sep 03, 2014
Walexey: I was surprised no one mentioned Mechatronics and systems Engineering....anyway its a new course in naija and i dont knw many universities or polythecnics dat offer it as a course of study!...u wanna hav relevance in any organisation Mechatronics is wat to study.it is a course dat comprises of d major principles of Mechanical and electrical/electronics engineering and is concerned with d automation of this principles...and then u'll be shocked to discover dat students of mechatronics do alot of work in robot synthesis! Great isn't it?? With all of dis in mind am pretty sure a firm/company or industry would be glad to employ sum1 with such versatality of knowledge. The onli disadvantage is dat u'll work ur life out,tnk God u said u re hard working! And as of nw there's no graduate of d course in naija in my institution 4 instance d futherest set re in 300 level so wen graduates are available expect them to be d cakes in d nation!....choose wisely

Thanks, which of the universities in currently run the course.
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by Walexey(m): 8:36am On Sep 03, 2014
GodswillAJudins:

u may not like it...ATBU,u can ask around sha mayb oda unis run it too....am pretty sure ATBU isnt d 1st to start in naija,so do well to inquire 4rm odas...
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by Walexey(m): 8:39am On Sep 03, 2014
GodswillAJudins:

just checked google,Afe babalola does,fut minna and a few more!
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:42am On Sep 03, 2014
chizzy94: Chemical Engineering till death do us apart! cheesycheesysmiley.
this is my girlfriend's dept here in uniben
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by XketchDesigns(m): 8:59am On Sep 03, 2014
Walexey: u may not like it...ATBU,u can ask around sha mayb oda unis run it too....am pretty sure ATBU isnt d 1st to start in naija,so do well to inquire 4rm odas...
Haha.. I sight you, belewite!

1 Like

Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by FolabiCash: 9:51am On Sep 03, 2014
Wouldn't have commented on this but man yu need flush that your obsession on oil & gas. I mean Where can't yu work with a Mech Engr certificate at a point I was obsessed with Estate management but my uncle who studied mech engr keeps asking me where I want to work with the certificate , still been obsessed I went ahead with the course and did OAU postume which I failed; wouldn't even say I fail cos I'm beginning to see the truth in what he was saying hence he himself got me FUTA PDS for mechanical engineering.
However I'm not saying Chemical engineering doesn't have more prospects in terms of jobs , but if yu may ask around even Elect/elect has more prospect than chemical & mech engr is like the highest paid engineering course right now in Nigeria and might lingers on for a very long time . Moreover FUTA Is like the best Technology school around and there engineering course will give OAU'S a good fight. Chemical engineering has a lot of prospects too but in present day Nigeria Mech engr shadows it and you'll even fit in perfectly with mech engr in the oil & gas industry. Lastly the choice is always yours. Always look beyond oil & gas .

1 Like

Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:57am On Sep 03, 2014
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:04am On Sep 03, 2014
Following 2 know wat awaits me in aeronautic engineering
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by QSheba: 11:51am On Sep 03, 2014
civil engineering is the best

3 Likes

Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by ketoprofen(m): 11:58am On Sep 03, 2014
hod898: Chemical engineering obviously. ChemEng graduates, especially those with Masters can work almost anywhere: in the oil/gas industry; in the Pharmaceutical industry; in the banking industry; in law sector; in the breweries industry; in energy sector; in the environmental safety sector; in the semi-conductor industry; cement factories; paint producing industry, etc.

Are these not for those in industrial chemistry?
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by Skywalker5(m): 12:32pm On Sep 03, 2014
Its better to follow your passion. Do what you love. No one can give you the correct answer. A particular course or profession in demand now might not be in demand by the time you graduate. If you still need an advise,i will say an Engineering course which will allow you to branch out to other fields easily.
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by EGRESS(m): 12:42pm On Sep 03, 2014
I think in terms of job prospect electrical and electronics engineering is a very good course to study cos u have a diversified range to choose from, you can work in the telecomms industry, I.T industries, manufacturing industries and oil/gas industry(as instrumentation engineer). It is the course that beat its counterparts. Closer to it is civil cos there are construction of buildings, bridges, dams and so on everywhere(but not that lucrative except you are buoyant to establish urself). My penny!
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by Skywalker5(m): 12:46pm On Sep 03, 2014
EGRESS: I think in terms of job prospect electrical and electronics engineering is a very good course to study cos u have a diversified range to choose from, you can work in the telecomms industry, I.T industries, manufacturing industries and oil/gas industry(as instrumentation engineer). It is the course that beat its counterparts. Closer to it is civil cos there are construction of buildings, bridges, dams and so on everywhere(but not that lucrative except you are buoyant to establish urself). My penny!

Thats sounds like a good one. With ECE, you should be able to fit in anywhere i think.

1 Like

Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:55pm On Sep 03, 2014
chizzy94:
smileyNice.
So you school in Uniben that is?
Yep,In 200level studying socialWorks and as I'm typing this,I'm right with my chick in chemical dept block

1 Like

Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by dhope: 6:06pm On Sep 03, 2014
GodswillAJudins:

Thanks its now left for me to Choose between FUTA PDS(in mechanical engineering) or OAU Predegree ( in chemical engineering) so I need your thought about this. Thanks ones again.
lik someone rightly said,dont focus on oil and gas alone. in mechanical there are other industries lik mining and aviation which i didnt mention b4 and money comes wit experience in any engrg field u find urself. imagine d salary of an engr who happens to be among flight crew wit time? am nt preaching my alma mata to u where i also read mechanical but futa is nt a place u wont enjoy to study mech. mechatronics is good because i even wish to study it at M.Eng level but it is a future course as far as naija is today considering our present level of tech advancement. a time is coming when all coys in naija will be forced to adopt automatn production to save cost and improve quality but it might take time.
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by seribroo56(m): 9:57pm On Sep 04, 2014
dhope:
lik someone rightly said,dont focus on oil and gas alone. in mechanical there are other industries lik mining and aviation which i didnt mention b4 and money comes wit experience in any engrg field u find urself. imagine d salary of an engr who happens to be among flight crew wit time? am nt preaching my alma mata to u where i also read mechanical but futa is nt a place u wont enjoy to study mech. mechatronics is good because i even wish to study it at M.Eng level but it is a future course as far as naija is today considering our present level of tech advancement. a time is coming when all coys in naija will be forced to adopt automatn production to save cost and improve quality but it might take time.
who told you chemical engineers work only in oil and gas company. A ChE student can perform at least 50% of what a Mech student can do.Have you heard of chemical car,or molecular motor and also we also predominate the semi conductor industry.anything energy .Your batery,dams,solar etc
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by baruzeez(m): 11:05pm On Sep 04, 2014
materials and nanotechnology engineering
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by younglordbm: 12:00am On Sep 05, 2014
[quote
author=Walexey]I was surprised no one mentioned Mechatronics and
systems Engineering....anyway its a new course in naija and i dont knw
many universities or polythecnics dat offer it as a course of study!...u
wanna hav relevance in any organisation Mechatronics is wat to study.it
is a course dat comprises of d major principles of Mechanical and
electrical/electronics engineering and is concerned with d automation of
this principles...and then u'll be shocked to discover dat students of
mechatronics do alot of work in robot synthesis! Great isn't it?? With
all of dis in mind am pretty sure a firm/company or industry would be
glad to employ sum1 with such versatality of knowledge. The onli
disadvantage is dat u'll work ur life out,tnk God u said u re hard
working! And as of nw there's no graduate of d course in naija in my
institution 4 instance d futherest set re in 300 level so wen graduates
are available expect them to be d cakes in d nation!....choose wisely
[/quote] true talk bro...just gained admission for mechatronics engineering in funaab gon
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by dhope: 7:53am On Sep 05, 2014
seribroo56: who told you chemical engineers work only in oil and gas company. A ChE student can perform at least 50% of what a Mech student can do.Have you heard of chemical car,or molecular motor and also we also predominate the semi conductor industry.anything energy .Your batery,dams,solar etc
where did i mention chemical engrg restriction to oil and gas? pls quote me frm the post. then as an engr u shud understand dt alternative lik chemical car shud hav been common in use if it is more efficient than internal combustion engine system.
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by seribroo56(m): 12:26pm On Sep 05, 2014
dhope:
where did i mention chemical engrg restriction to oil and gas? pls quote me frm the post. then as an engr u shud understand dt alternative lik chemical car shud hav been common in use if it is more efficient than internal combustion engine system.
chillax . It is going to be tested b4 the end of the year trust me it wil be 10 times more efficient than normal combution engine
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by Capableben(m): 8:12pm On Sep 30, 2014
jessetom:

Yeah I sight you well bro............
#teamChemicalEngineering

You studied chemical engineering?
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by Capableben(m): 8:30pm On Sep 30, 2014
chizzy94: Chemical Engineering till death do us apart! cheesycheesysmiley.
u did Chemical Engr??
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:36pm On Sep 30, 2014
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by Capableben(m): 9:13pm On Sep 30, 2014
chizzy94:
Yeah, I'm on it.
can we two talk Like heart-heart, I'm also on it ... like tru wasaap or fb
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:31pm On Sep 30, 2014
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by Isodice: 10:02pm On Sep 30, 2014
It all depends on what u think u want...and also what u think u can cope with...But anyway MECHANICAL is the best...it covers almost everything...even in the oil n gas sector mech guys re invaluable than the chem guys...not even minding the knowledge of WELDING n FABRICATION
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by Capableben(m): 10:13am On Oct 01, 2014
chizzy94:
Alright.
I'd follow you and you'll have to follow back so I could mail my WhatsApp contact to you. We could then connect on facebook from there.
okay, I have followed you...
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria by lamby(m): 3:06pm On Oct 01, 2014
Am a mech engr of 16years experience.
I will advice you go for mechatronics because it is for the future.
Otherwise mechanical and electrical are equally good.
Mechanical engr can work in any company because machines are used in almost all companies.
Electrical engrg is however more easier to practice because of the presence of cheap electrical gadgets and components for any serious engineer to become an authority

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

When You Have Been Misbehaving In School And Your Grandma Goes To PTA Meeting / 500L Covenant University Student Dies In School (Photo) / International School, University Of Ibadan Suspends Student For Wearing Hijab

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.