Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,684 members, 7,816,788 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:11 PM

Bad Habits in the kitchen - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Bad Habits in the kitchen (4946 Views)

Yoruba Man Killing Afang Soup In The Kitchen; All Thanks To Calabar Babes. / Is It Safe To Place Your Gas Cylynder In The Kitchen / Safety Rules In The Kitchen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bad Habits in the kitchen by aomom(m): 6:53am On Oct 28, 2008
well sincerely i just go mad each time i see this,
    have u seen a situation when some one is cooking and the spoon they use in cooking is being licked by them all in the name of i am testing it and they dipp that same licked spoon into the food that's meant for everybody, especially when making soup or stew or sauce, ladies abeg i am on my kneels begging u people should try and stopp this because there some disease u can communicate to everybody in a twinkle of an eye.
thats the main reason y i refuse to eat my female friends food each tyme i go visiting.
plz share ur views as to how to curb this disease, because i am afraid of ma future partner
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by JeSoul(f): 3:31pm On Oct 28, 2008
ROTFLOL . . . . grin poster you are hilarious grin

But on the serious side, you're right its a bad habit. My mum did it all the time when we were growing up but I haven't seen any of my friends do it . . . maybe its the company you keep? undecided and no biggie, just tell your future wife that you don't like it and she shouldn't have any prob stopping it.
I myself don't do it cos it is digusting to me myself to have my own spit in the food, whether or not it is only me eating it. Anyways, good luck! lol . . .
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by jaybee3(m): 3:33pm On Oct 28, 2008
Picking ya nose
coughing without covering one's mouth
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by AmakaOne(f): 4:52pm On Oct 28, 2008
@poster
I agree with you it's a very bad habit.

My mum taught me to always have a clean saucer and teasppoon out that u use for checking the seasoning in the food.
you scoop a little out of the pot onto the saucer and use the teaspoon to taste.

No licking food with your fingers while you cook in my momsys kitchen o! otherwise na one backhand you will feel on the back of your head"Na that same hand u go use chop vegetable you dey lick so ??"  Gbosa!!  shocked

grin
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by aomom(m): 3:43am On Oct 29, 2008
plz take a look @ the picture below and see if something strikes u,
Same ladies the leave the serving spoon sordid on the pot for a long tyme, flies, cockroaches name it can come and do their normal business transaction, after that instead of cleaning the spoon they then dipp it inside the food that is meant for everybody. later we wonder why we have typhiod and food poisoning rampant i think this is genesis of all! ur opinions plz

Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by JamaicanQT(f): 3:49am On Oct 29, 2008
flipping the bird when im angry,
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by aomom(m): 4:11pm On Oct 29, 2008
@ j soul well itz nat about the company. i caught an aunty of mine doing this and i tend to observe every ladies, do u know the what they do it unconsciously. what about using their dirty clothes to clean a wet cuttlery in fact name it
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by AmakaOne(f): 4:16pm On Oct 29, 2008
aomom:

@ j soul well itz nat about the company. i caught an aunty of mine doing this and i tend to observe every ladies, do u know the what they do it unconsciously. what about using their dirty clothes to clean a wet cuttlery in fact name it
@aomom
hmmm o dikwa risky o!

Which kin "ladies" do you have cooking for you?
what happened to health & hygiene? Don't they teach that in Naija schools any more?
using clothes to wipe cutlery? shocked
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by angelink2u: 5:19pm On Oct 29, 2008
Sincerely speaking, it is hygienically wrong. How can u be tasting food, putting ur cooking spoon into ur mouth? It irritates me alot
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by MrCrackles(m): 5:26pm On Oct 29, 2008
cutting all sorts of vegetables and meat and other items without washing it!!

leaving cooked and uncooked food open to airborne bacteria and germs!!
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by omoge(f): 5:27pm On Oct 29, 2008
the oyinbo are really good at that. you see them eating out of the spoon they are using to  stir their food especially Chille eewwwwwwww. i don't like eating chilli because of such habit.
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by AmakaOne(f): 5:28pm On Oct 29, 2008
MrCrackles:

cutting all sorts of vegetables and meat and other items without washing it!!

one way ticket to salmonella poisoning

uugh!!
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by AmakaOne(f): 5:37pm On Oct 29, 2008
Now for all the gross details (scientific explanation is minimal with sarcasm, comedy, and cold hard truth). The human mouth contains a minimum of between 8 and 10 different types of bacteria. The tongue is a particularly good breeding ground for little bugs.

Just below the gum line, especially between the (a back) tooth and the gum live the really nasty bacteria, in a warm, moist and DARK incubator; and if you don't floss regularly, the odor from the bacteria in this area of your mouth will just about knock you over. As they live and grow, they manufacture chemicals known as oligosaccharides, a molecule that is BOTH a FAT and a SUGAR. These molecules make the bacteria VERY STICKY, so they adhere very well to the tooth. This is PLAQUE. After is has grown over the surface of the tooth at and below the gum line, it starts growning INTO your gum tissue, killing at it grows (RECEDING GUMS). This is one of the causes of GINGIVITIS, the other being the chemical assault launched upon it by the bacteria and the bodies response to fighting infection. For pictures, look on the web (Google), or visit your local library and search for books on "Dental Hygiene"  or the work of a "Dental Hygenist".

I've read parts of a book written for dental hygenists and saw the diagrams. It's enough to making FLOSSING EVERYDAY a top priority in your life.

So next time you see someone lick a spoon that they are cooking food for you with just do what my momsie would do and GBOSA!!  * shocked*   * shocked *smack them upside the head.
I mean how much  more disgusting can you get?
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by LadyT(f): 5:40pm On Oct 29, 2008
Using the same soapy sponge you use to wash plates to clean the inside of the stew pot  (the pot contains fresh stew) just because you want the inside of the pot to look clean  angry
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by Moyola(f): 5:41pm On Oct 29, 2008
aomom:

well sincerely i just go mad each time i see this,
   have u seen a situation when some one is cooking and the spoon they use in cooking is being licked by them all in the name of i am testing it and they dipp that same licked spoon into the food that's meant for everybody, especially when making soup or stew or sauce,

hahahaha. . . . 've xperience such  cheesy

veri  angry
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by MrCrackles(m): 5:41pm On Oct 29, 2008
AMAKAONE:

one way ticket to salmonella poisoning

uugh!!

straight-up!

this happens a lot everywhere

am sure you have been caught up in this too right?! grin
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by AmakaOne(f): 6:07pm On Oct 29, 2008
LadyT:

Using the same soapy sponge you use to wash plates to clean the inside of the stew pot  (the pot contains fresh stew) just because you want the inside of the pot to look clean  angry

OOH!! don't even get me started on the kitchen cloths and sponges

A study carried out 10 years ago by Dean Cliver, a professor of food safety at the University of California found that 10 per cent of kitchen sponges contained salmonella.

Internationally, 90 per cent of kitchen cloths, 46 per cent of kitchen sinks, 38 per cent of bathroom sinks and 14 per cent of children's toys failed the test, meaning they had a total bacteria count of more than 100,000 per square centimetre.

They can cause diarrhea or infections with flu-like symptoms that are especially dangerous to small children, the elderly and pregnant women.

Food spills and juice should be wiped up with a paper towel and dumped. That avoids contact with a bacteria-infected sponge or dish cloth where the bacteria will feed on the food and drink supplied.

on the up side

Dishcloths and sponges are known to breed microbes such as E. coli and salmonella, that can cause potentially lethal food poisoning.
Researchers in the U.S. have found that the microwave is an effective weapon against them. Two minutes in the microwave can kill 99 per cent of the germs harboured by kitchen sponges, scientists have found.

Credible source links for all u doubting Thomases.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-431023/Microwaves-turn-kitchen-cloths-germ-killers.html

Zap those kitchen sponges B4 you poison your family and friends o jare!!
http://www.virtualcancercentre.com/news.asp?artid=9113
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by AmakaOne(f): 6:09pm On Oct 29, 2008
MrCrackles:

straight-up!

this happens a lot everywhere

am sure you have been caught up in this too right?! grin

lol I see u came back to look 4 my trouble abi? grin

read my earlier post.

My mom taught me very early (albeit with a few whacks to my agbalumo head) that lickin spoons while cooking is a NO! NO!  no matter what.
Health and hygeine has been drilled into myhead o! ( literally)  grin
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by MrCrackles(m): 6:19pm On Oct 29, 2008
AMAKAONE:

lol I see u came back to look 4 my trouble abi? grin

read my earlier post.

My mom taught me very early (albeit with a few whacks to my agbalumo head) that lickin spoons while cooking is a NO! NO! no matter what.
Health and hygeine has been drilled into myhead o! ( literally) grin

haha

so u have an agbalumo head?!

super, i have a double sized agbalumo head too!! tongue
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by JeSoul(f): 7:40pm On Oct 29, 2008
AMAKAONE:

OOH!! don't even get me started on the kitchen cloths and sponges

A study carried out 10 years ago by Dean Cliver, a professor of food safety at the University of California found that 10 per cent of kitchen sponges contained salmonella.

I change my sponges every month like clock-work. I dislike those wipe cloths so I go through my paper towels rather quickly - small price to pay to avoid germ infestations  cool. I saw a study once where they found a whole lot more bacteria on a kitchen sponge than they did in the toilet shocked.

aomom:

LOL . . . it seems you've seen some pretty nasty habits  grin. 1 thing I hate is dirty dishes in the sink for days  shocked
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by MrCrackles(m): 8:15pm On Oct 29, 2008
JeSoul:

I change my sponges every month like clock-work. I dislike those wipe cloths so I go through my paper towels rather quickly - small price to pay to avoid germ infestations  cool. I saw a study once where they found a whole lot more bacteria on a kitchen sponge than they did in the toilet shocked.

shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by JeSoul(f): 8:54pm On Oct 29, 2008
Yup, that's right, unbelieveable huh? It was actually on an episode on Oprah - talk about eye-opening.
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by Gamine(f): 8:58pm On Oct 29, 2008
I saw a study once where they found a whole lot more bacteria on a kitchen sponge than they did in the toilet

And someone is telling me not to open mouth for toilet

i guess them no suppose open mouth for kitchen too.

But these things are really very important to know about

no wonder every Nigerian has Typhoid in their blood sad

1 Like

Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by MrCrackles(m): 9:11pm On Oct 29, 2008
Gamine:

no wonder every Nigerian has Typhoid in their blood sad

not sure about you but the sentence above

doesnt apply to me!! smiley
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by aomom(m): 2:53am On Oct 30, 2008
well it happens if one aunt of urs coms visiting, what about drinking directly from a central mug that is meant for making everybodies tea. u see crazy things lyk dipping bread inside the tea.
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by Tatase(f): 6:19am On Oct 30, 2008
OMG you guys! I'm glad I'm not the only one. People are always telling me to stop being anally retentive about these things. Like clorox anywhere bleach spray and paper towels are like kitchen must-haves. I spray it everywhere even on my sponge because it's food safe. I hate the thought of germs. (When in naij, when no1 is there to see (because of teasing) I boil the sponges, change the kitchen cloths 2ce a day and I use really diluted bleach concoction in a spray bottle to sanitize the kitchen countertops).

1.) The spoon licking thing is disturbing!!! I hate hate hate that.
2.) Talking over and open pot. Stir what you're stirring first then step away from the pot and then continue the gist.
3.) The sponge. I hate when people use it to clean the worktops and the like meat blood and Godknowswhat germs and the cooker and then use it to wash glasses, it's the nastiest thing. I don't think any kind of dish soap is killing all the germs in those sponges.
4.) I hate when people want you to share cutlery with them. Like they're like taste this and then they use their fork or spoon that has been in their mouth to give you to taste and then you don't want them to feel like you think they are dirty and so you are forced to taste.
5.) Touching food with bare hands after its cooked. Like when you watch all those food shows and the chef is arranging the plate with his naked bare hands which he hasn't washed at all and has merely been wiping on his apron since he started cooking. Like when I go to a restaurant and the food is really well-arranged in the plate, I always say an extra prayer for health and safety.
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by omoge(f): 9:00am On Oct 30, 2008
Tatashe, you said it all am laughing out loud. they are all ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ewwwwwww eeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww grin

many pple do that. now i scare if i have a man and he is doing all these, how can i correct him? am a clean freak and i made it a rule to avoid all those things, ha! you see the reason why i don't like other pple making my meals
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by Gamine(f): 9:16am On Oct 30, 2008
@Mr Crackles,

You dont live in Nigeria.

@Tatase

there are some things, you just cant avoid o
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by JeSoul(f): 6:18pm On Oct 30, 2008
Tatase:

4.) I hate when people want you to share cutlery with them. Like they're like taste this and then they use their fork or spoon that has been in their mouth to give you to taste and then you don't want them to feel like you think they are dirty and so you are forced to taste.
   ROTFLOL . . . a humongous eeeewwww! if I'm among people that I cannot trust to accept my "no" and not get upset, then I will be suddenly "allergic" to that food. cool

5.) Touching food with bare hands after its cooked. when I go to a restaurant and the food is really well-arranged in the plate, I always say an extra prayer for health and safety.
LOL I say 'extra' prayers especially when I'm eating at an african party or Chinese buffett . . .  cool

Just last sunday I happen to be walking round filling my plate at the chinese buffett, I saw this little girl - african - lol, about 8 or 9 years. She was filling her plate then she dropped a piece of food on the wet floor, she picked it up and put it back into the pan containing the food, ready for the next person  shocked tongue  cool talk about  eeewwww  needless to say that was my last plate.
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by LASIEFAIRE(m): 6:21pm On Oct 30, 2008
OP:
@ Jesoul
How are you doing? It been a while.
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by JeSoul(f): 6:34pm On Oct 30, 2008
LASIEFAIRE  LASIEFAIRE  LASIEFAIRE  where has thou been? O prodigal son?  grin  grin  I was about to comb through all the apts overlooking Tokyo Bay just to find ya smiley I hope you've been well and life is just fine kiss
Re: Bad Habits in the kitchen by LASIEFAIRE(m): 6:54pm On Oct 30, 2008
Work, Work, Work. .Duty called and I had to answer. But I missed you.
If I had stayed off a little longer . . . . tongue. we'll be having nkwobi right about now at my apt. come combing this is not th real me

Like always, good to know life is treating you fine.

And I know what you call me behind my back Lazyfaire angry. The secret is in the open.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Cook Ofada Rice And Stew. / Who Should Pound The Yam? / Where Can I Buy Foodstuffs Wholesale In Abuja And Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.