Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,543 members, 7,827,032 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating (14943 Views)

Best Way To Discipline A Child Without Spanking / Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria / Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Nobody: 7:34am On Sep 07, 2014
Wait, wait, wait! you mean one seriously can't even spank his toddler in the US? Seriously serious?! I don't mean beat with cane oo, because I don't condone that myself. I my dad flogged us ehh, hmmm, we chop igabti no be small and like magic we all turn out well, none will need therapy for sure and my elder siblings are often grateful for it.
For me o, I've tried shouting, eye contact, bribing, and spanking with my nephews. Them lads love to be bribed with icecream but even that is not as effective as spanking! And I think it's bad to bribe kids but sometime you'd do anything for some sanity. And the belt is the ultimate means of controlling those duo. I never go as far as to use the belt, because I never had to, I just pull it out and a pin drop silence is what I get. That's because their dad uses belt and they have incredible reverence for it.
I also discovered that using a little 'psychology', mind games works well, rewarding good behaviour as an incentive for further good behaviour, and I find that if I tell the younger one to keep an eye on my laptop and not allow anyone touch because I trust he's my pal and would run to tell me, it's done!

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Bigwig1: 7:37am On Sep 07, 2014
Spare d rod nd spoil d child
In d heart of a child is madness and only cane can remove it
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by chidimmaaa(f): 7:41am On Sep 07, 2014
moca: Absolutely yes!
And pls don't qoute d bible for me.

We can see d effect of beating all over us.
m gonna tell u d effect on me. If my parents never spanked me, I'll probably wld av become a thief, always home late and challenging them buh then, they scare d shit outta of and I barely tell them anything about me. U gotta use watever way necessary to put ur kid in d ryt way.
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by chidimmaaa(f): 7:42am On Sep 07, 2014

m gonna tell u d effect on me. If my parents never spanked me, I'll probably wld av become a thief, always home late and challenging them buh then, they scare d shit outta of and I barely tell them anything about me. U gotta use watever way necessary to put ur kid in d ryt way. Even if it means them hating if, they're gonna cum bck to their senses one day and thank u big tym
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Camellia(f): 7:55am On Sep 07, 2014
beating yes ..more like. spanking..... but to abuse it...its very bad...
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by alphaomega(m): 7:57am On Sep 07, 2014
“If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey the voice of ... then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the ... Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline drives it far from him. (Prov.10:13; 13:24; 26:3)

Bottom line: SPARE d rod..n SPOIL d child...

Chikena...

P.s..if u think u are wiser than the Holy book ( cos of ur supposedly high level of education), then u are on ur own...

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by dnawah(m): 8:08am On Sep 07, 2014
It is the bible,in the coran even okeja juju will tell u to flog ur child well well.i no a family that didn't do that,it the children that flog them now.(because they don't know how painfull the cane is)GOD himsel flog his children
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by godman01(m): 8:09am On Sep 07, 2014
Do not withhold discipline from a child; even if you strike him with the rod, he will not die. Prov.23:13
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Nobody: 8:09am On Sep 07, 2014
Yomieluv: Spanking is good,where necessary,don't leave a bruise.

The heart of a child is strong,only cane soften it.

Am a living example,if not mum's use of cane,I would have gone bad,the thought of the cane always put a strain on my activities at times.
Spanking may lead to deviant sexxual behaviour. So don't blame anyone when you find your child's into S&M, Bee|Dee|SM, and other crazy things.
Yes you can raise children without punishing them corporally. You only need wisdom.
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by silversonuc(m): 8:09am On Sep 07, 2014
aolatunde00: I told myself same thing and it's becoming increasingly more difficult to abide by with my 21month old son.
He runs the water dispenser almost everyday completely running it out on the kitchen floor at least once
He goes to his clothes drawer to empty the neatly ironed and folded clothes.
He empties his laundry basket too;at least twice a day
This is minus going to turn off/on wall sockets as soon as no one is around.
He's also pulled a standing wall mirror on himself crashing it in the process and slightly bruising himself.
I have introduced spanking on the bum to caution him
Have I also mentioned he's a pro in climbing any and all things?chairs,dinning tables,centre table,climbs into his own high chair amongst many others?
He needs to be cautioned before he endNgers himself unknowinhlu
lol, kids nd dia innocent minds, nd if u spank dem den u are simply a fun spoiler
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Whizpeter(m): 8:11am On Sep 07, 2014
bebe2: its very possible to raise a child without beatings.

i have lots of friends, who swear they ve never been beaten and today they are perfectly behaved.

i was beaten as a child mainly in school and am not better behaved than any of them,

there are also boys i know, that were beaten mercilessly in those days, canned till their backs were raw.

especially one called pule. but that hasnt done him any good.

last i heard he was working in a motor park as a loader, and fights at the slightest opportunity.
Lol... The dude z now used to the hard life he was brought up with...
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by bee444: 8:23am On Sep 07, 2014
I've spent 3 solid decades in this world and still counting. I was a product of beating! My dad (of living memory) would beat the hell of out me for no reason. Beating was my nickname, not that I was naughty or wayward of some sort. Not eating a particular kind of food in the house would lead to severe beating; playing with friends nko, na beating; having disagreement with my siblings, beating; mistakenly breaking or misplacing anything, beating; sleeping in the afternoon, beating, waking up late, beating and so on and so forth.

The beating so affected me as a grown up until I sort deliverance. I lost my dad 11 years ago, and just got delivered from his abuse and beating 2 years ago. He would visit me in the dream and beat the hell of out me. He did that for solid 7 to 8 years until I fasted and prayed for deliverance. I was affected emotionally, psychologically and even spiritually. And once in a while, My dad would want to visit and beat me again, Jesus always stood for me and will continue to stand for me.

I therefore seek the indulgence of parents.. pls only spank your children and do not beat them! There's a difference between spanking and beating..pls look it up!
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Mutuwa(m): 8:23am On Sep 07, 2014
shizzleStar: Beating becomes a necessity when a child is unruly or unrepentantly sturbon. Nothing wrong with it

this is wht i call a qualified answer to this thread.
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by silversonuc(m): 8:25am On Sep 07, 2014
iwakolewa: I believe it's possible not to beat a child if you want to,my kids are very hyperactive and they do the naughtiest of things. ...all I do is apply patience and wisdom,many parents do not have the patience to deal with kids especially kids that are ages 18 months to about 8 years...I spanked my 4year old daughter in the presence of my mum one time,and my mum was so upset,nothing wey she no talk that day. ...that I was worse than my kids at stressing her and so I shouldn't beat my kids again,she then took her time to tell me the things I did as a child. ...it was so funny, so I decided that my kids were just being what they are,children. So I'd rather discipline and mete out what I deem to be punishment,like for my almost 5year old daughter, anytime she gets naughty,I make her count 1-200,if she makes mistakes, she'll start again, and it has helped me and her too.....or I tell her to lie down and sleep,na by force sleep o,she hates siestas...once I say,lie down,she'll just say mummy,sorry, I won't do it again grin grin grin
mehn u are a proffesional at child discipline,like u said d secret is find out wat d child doesnt like and use dat against him/her wen he/she goes wrong, i like d lie dwn nd sleep part, d 1 - 200 make sense too, prolly if she gets used to 200 u make it 700, thanx maaam dat was educative, noted
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by silversonuc(m): 8:27am On Sep 07, 2014
CyberEBOLA: I JUST ASKED MY DAD AND AFTER TWO SLAPS, HE SAID NO.
ya papa na retired principal?
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Joshuadon: 8:30am On Sep 07, 2014
troy20: #DONOTBEAT

IN ONE WORD - SPARE THE ROD ND SPOIL THE KID....

DATS KIND OF A CLICHÈ....BUT DATS D TRUTH...
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Youngzedd(m): 8:49am On Sep 07, 2014

Give him/her a cookies.
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Laitesmart(m): 9:00am On Sep 07, 2014
I dont think so... Why do you think chidren fear their dad more than their mum or in sum cases, vice versa??
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by styvhin(m): 9:27am On Sep 07, 2014
You who say you'll not spank....hm...u neva meet pikin o..... u neva jam!! When u jam....ur story will change.
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Sixix: 9:29am On Sep 07, 2014
[quote author=Kirinwa]

Bleep America. They are not a standard. Check out almost every precinct there has a gansta unit with guns ready to blaze at slight provocation.

FYI, most gangsta especially blacks were beaten by their parents yet it did not stop them from dealing in drugs and guns tongue

I have dealt with kids without touching a strand, if I had been told I could do that I would have argued blindly. Try to be non-violent especially to towards your kids. What you do and who you are affect their personalities and would shape how they will turn out to be

Even their president is a gay sympathiser possibly one too albeit having a wife. A country that threatens to sanction other countries because they are against men opening yansh for fellow men to ram home. Abeg!

What does this have to do with the issue at hand? It seems your opinion is born out of sentiment. Learn to be objective.
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Sixix: 9:39am On Sep 07, 2014
Xcapist: Wait, wait, wait! you mean one seriously can't even spank his toddler in the US? Seriously serious?! I don't mean beat with cane oo, because I don't condone that myself. I my dad flogged us ehh, hmmm, we chop igabti no be small and like magic we all turn out well, none will need therapy for sure and my elder siblings are often grateful for it.
For me o, I've tried shouting, eye contact, bribing, and spanking with my nephews. Them lads love to be bribed with icecream but even that is not as effective as spanking! And I think it's bad to bribe kids but sometime you'd do anything for some sanity. And the belt is the ultimate means of controlling those duo. I never go as far as to use the belt, because I never had to, I just pull it out and a pin drop silence is what I get. That's because their dad uses belt and they have incredible reverence for it.
I also discovered that using a little 'psychology', mind games works well, rewarding good behaviour as an incentive for further good behaviour, and I find that if I tell the younger one to keep an eye on my laptop and not allow anyone touch because I trust he's my pal and would run to tell me, it's done!

You think you all did but sorry you all didn't. Violence always leaves a scar and it is transferable. It will manifest when you least expected it.

However individuals differ
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Nobody: 9:51am On Sep 07, 2014
kulboy: In my state of origin according to my Nigerian passport, it is practically "IMPOSSIBLE" because that child's gonna grow up to very Disrespectful and Rude.
I've have a friend whose parents never smacked him...beat him up and this dude grew up to be very respectful and he ain't rude. Funny thing is he ain't an ajebo. So its possible bro.
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Sixix: 9:53am On Sep 07, 2014
ITbomb: People who are against beatings are mostly the ones who got more than enough and maybe from anger rather than correction.

Extreme spanking is counter productive. A child's mind is an open book to be written upon. Reasoning is limited till later.

Beating should be without anger but love and understanding for the beating. Reward also should follow up for good behaviour.
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by mistyebby(f): 9:59am On Sep 07, 2014
Enough has been said already!But let's remember as written in the Bible "spare the rod..spoil the child!
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Heycube(m): 10:12am On Sep 07, 2014
It is possible if u practice wat u preach to ur kid. Let ur kid knw ur YES frm NO. Once a kid get to knw dt u ar a lie/deceiver......datsall
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by streetzdreamz(m): 10:13am On Sep 07, 2014
aolatunde00: I told myself same thing and it's becoming increasingly more difficult to abide by with my 21month old son.
He runs the water dispenser almost everyday completely running it out on the kitchen floor at least once
He goes to his clothes drawer to empty the neatly ironed and folded clothes.
He empties his laundry basket too;at least twice a day
This is minus going to turn off/on wall sockets as soon as no one is around.
He's also pulled a standing wall mirror on himself crashing it in the process and slightly bruising himself.
I have introduced spanking on the bum to caution him
Have I also mentioned he's a pro in climbing any and all things?chairs,dinning tables,centre table,climbs into his own high chair amongst many others?
He needs to be cautioned before he endNgers himself unknowinhlu
lols ur little man is quite energetic,troublesome kids r a sight to behold n i prefer em o'er d cool quiet ones,well a lil spanking on d bum should do d trick,cuz he cant obviously see anytin wrong in his lil adventures howbeit t myt oneday endanger him, and as he grows up other measures can be introduced,wen he's able to decipher rights from wrongs,btw u'l make a great mother smiley
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Davidbanky(m): 10:18am On Sep 07, 2014
Kachisbarbie: Yes na...my parents have never laid their hands on us and we very responsible and all...
If I open this my big eyes, better fear go catch ma pikin, I no need stress ma sef to beat am. I actually have other measures I use, a child is child, we know how to handle them without beating.

I think it depends, when u giver birth to a child around mushin, Oshodi and the rest, mhen, u got to flog o, cos as the area is having a negative influence which I assure you will, the Cain will serve as the corrector ... Lol
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by raphy(m): 10:24am On Sep 07, 2014
this sound gibirish to me.
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Nobody: 10:26am On Sep 07, 2014
Sixix:

You think you all did but sorry you all didn't. Violence always leaves a scar and it is transferable. It will manifest when you least expected it.

However individuals differ

maybe. But I won't go as far as calling it violence. Did my father's general strictness leave me a little timid? Yes. But I really don't think the cane scarred me in any way beyond physical. And note that I don't support the use of it ooo. Or should I say I haven't made up my mind yet....
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by babtunsk(m): 10:27am On Sep 07, 2014
I blive in Spare d rod n spoil d child
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by miketayo(m): 10:53am On Sep 07, 2014
its possible obviously. why do u think Nigeria turned up like this, its because we were raised like goats so we end up acting like one.
i blive in talking sense instead of using the rod
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Nobody: 10:57am On Sep 07, 2014
Davidbanky:

I think it depends, when u giver birth to a child around mushin, Oshodi and the rest, mhen, u got to flog o, cos as the area is having a negative influence which I assure you will, the Cain will serve as the corrector ... Lol
Lol...very true tho. those ones they stubborn welllll.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Will Make You Disown Your Child? / The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D / Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.