Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,450 members, 7,819,663 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:09 PM

Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts (16846 Views)

DMO Releases States External Debts As At Dec 31st 2015 / Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry / Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by ba7man(m): 2:52pm On Sep 08, 2014
PiperAlpha:
Its simple bro; nobody cares about them and their states.
I visited the Enugu thread since it was recommended to me and I noticed it was peaceful because there were no South western posters trolling around.

I wouldn't say the same if it was an Ibadan or Oshogbo or any other Yoruba thread.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by Twistaray(m): 2:55pm On Sep 08, 2014
And so what? Is nigeria not owing too or not?

Let the yoruba's speak for themselves and while Igbo's mind their business.
Isn't that simple?
Sign
Gbam

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by Gbawe: 4:06pm On Sep 08, 2014
ba7man: I visited the Enugu thread since it was recommended to me and I noticed it was peaceful because there were no South western posters trolling around.

I wouldn't say the same if it was an Ibadan or Oshogbo or any other Yoruba thread.

That is because Yoruba folks are at peace with themselves and others. The obsession of some SE posters with all things Yoruba here is mainly one way. It is unrequited attention. Most Yorubas focus on their own affairs, are secure in themselves and have absolutely nothing to prove to anyone.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by Gbawe: 5:03pm On Sep 08, 2014
Twistaray: And so what? Is nigeria not owing too or not?

Let the yoruba's speak for themselves and while Igbo's mind their business.
Isn't that simple?

Sign
Gbam

Thank you. It is indeed that simple .
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by ba7man(m): 5:08pm On Sep 08, 2014
Gbawe:

That is because Yoruba folks are at peace with themselves and others. The obsession of some SE posters with all things Yoruba here is mainly one way. It is unrequited attention. Most Yorubas focus on their own affairs, are secure in themselves and have absolutely nothing to prove to anyone.
I agree, they travel down to the south West to make a living, they visit South west threads to troll, they question South west affairs at every turn, they insult South west at every chance they get, they keep plotting one south west downfall or the other, they know all our Governors and politicians more that theirs...............It seems to be an obsession.

I'm just glad we're not really bothered about what goes on in their end. If only they knew true growth comes from looking within, not looking at the South west.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by Gbawe: 5:30pm On Sep 08, 2014
ba7man: I agree, they travel down to the south West to make a living, they visit South west threads to troll, they question South west affairs at every turn, they insult South west at every chance they get, they keep plotting one south west downfall or the other, they know all our Governors and politicians more that theirs...............It seems to be an obsession.

I'm just glad we're not really bothered about what goes on in their end. If only they knew true growth comes from looking within, not looking at the South west.

This is the truth. Being insularly dedicated to your own affairs and socio-economic progress is a very good thing. It is that way worldwide. Yorubas are content to mind their own business and that is the way it should be because citizens, especially for a Nation like Nigeria, need to hold their own direct leaders accountable. Many Igbo posters here have no interest in doing this and instead aberrantly focus all their 24/7 attention on the leaders/affair of SW States.

Sad really to see many Igbos on Nairaland bitterly obsessed about the affairs of the Yorubas. Majority of them simply wish to provoke a reaction from Yoruba folks but the truth is that most Yorubas wish them well and are "not really bothered about what goes on in their end".
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by Twistaray(m): 7:20pm On Sep 08, 2014
PreacherMAN1: i believe gbawe wakes up to eat ass every day......Apc ass and anyone willing to drop kobo
wink

Free the dude and let him be.
What is your fixation on him? say what u have and let go for crying out loud.
If he likes let him swallow Ppp bottom it is voice nah
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by whitecat007: 5:51am On Sep 09, 2014
Just $3B? with all the infrastructures and carrying the burdens of refugees from eastern states? then Fashola of Lagos has done very well, when compared to the Omugo in Aso rock who has eaten the same amount in food alone, and burrowing more with nothing to show for it other than ogogoro bleached lips.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by Gbawe: 6:49am On Sep 09, 2014
Twistaray:

Free the dude and let him be.
What is your fixation on him? say what u have and let go for crying out loud.
If he likes let him swallow Ppp bottom it is voice nah

Bro, why do you think I ignored the idiot? If what I said pains him, he can go and jump. As someone who never concerns himself with the business of others, I am justified telling others to leave the Yorubas and their affairs alone if all they can contribute is negativity, insults, general malevolence and an obsession with badmouthing everything to do with the ethnic group. If anyone is pained by that common sense advise then it shows you how childish they are because it is mainly only little children who get angry and throw tantrums when you tell them to stop doing something that is wrong.
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by sesanrota(m): 8:08am On Sep 09, 2014
Gbawe:
Bro, why do you think I ignored the idiot? If what I said pains him, he can go and jump. As someone who never concerns himself with the business of others, I am justified telling others to leave the Yorubas and their affairs alone if all they can contribute is negativity, insults, general malevolence and an obsession with badmouthing everything to do with the ethnic group. If anyone is pained by that common sense advise then it shows you how childish they are because it is mainly only little children who get angry and throw tantrums when you tell them to stop doing something that is wrong.

Simply put it this way, They are impervious to correction grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by Gbawe: 8:33am On Sep 09, 2014
sesanrota:

Simply put it this way, They are impervious to correction grin grin grin

Exactly.
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by mapet: 9:26am On Sep 09, 2014
1. I do know the antecedents of the IMF and the World bank. In addition to what we see in the media, I had done some work on these two back then in Bskul. I am also well aware of the Argentinian recession issues and the IMF roles. Let's look at the Argentine's case as reflective of all the cases on the claims that IMF have been unfair. First of the Argies had built their economies on weak foundation in late 80s to mid 90s. Secondly their response to ripple effect of recession from neighbouring economies were probably not robust enough, a spinoff of the first. Yes IMF did make mistakes, and admitted it as well. But for me, my mantra has always been that we are all responsible for our fate and less of the other party's acts. The IMF as setup to do, did intervene, with further injection of loans to Argentina, but with those loans definitely will come a price. Have we bothered to ask how the Argies (and many of the 3rd world countries) had managed leadership? Argentina's current President is the wife of the late former President, who had spent 2 terms and was touted to return back to the stables once the wife completes her tenure...... I believe the onus is on us to make sure we have the right, strong and fledging institution to stimulate economic growth. This will make us not vulnerable to the dictates of lenders. Yet lenders will always be around and for good. Ever wondered if a country can grow their economy and be one of the sources the IMF gets their funds? will these countries complain or smile

2. On BRICS, until Nigeria gets to a level of the basic criteria to be termed as the BRICS countries are, then we cannot simply compare. I took a Wikipedia extract [b[i]]"The grouping was originally known as "BRIC" before the inclusion of South Africa in 2010. The BRICS members are all developing or newly industrialized countries, but they are distinguished by their large, fast-growing economies and significant influence on regional and global affairs; all five are G-20 members. As of 2014, the five BRICS countries represent almost 3 billion people which is 40% of the world population, with a combined nominal GDP of US$16.039 trillion (20% world GDP) and an estimated US$4 trillion in combined foreign reserves. As of 2014, the BRICS nations represented 18 percent of the world economy"[/i][/b].....and I'm still asking the question are we industrialized? Do we have a large and fast growing economy? Do we have significant influence on regional and global affairs, are we G-20 member?

fairheven:
If u know the antecedents of IMF AN THE WORld BANK u won't say such,those two practicaly destroyed the economies of south East Asian countries,the "asian tigers",u forgotten?the current one ,Argentina is held by the jugular by the same Institutions.

BRICS is just a name given to those countries by an economic analyst ,Jim O'Neill of Goldman sach,so if Nigeria joins tomorrow,the acronym will simply change to accomondate the letter "N".an membership is just a matter of GDP and estimated growth,u don't need to bring"goat an kola nut" to do so,u can do ur research again.
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by mapet: 9:39am On Sep 09, 2014
Haba....... why have you simply decided to turn logic on its head? which Central bank prints money to cover deficit? The huge US debt to China is also being serviced with printing of more Dollar? meanwhile countries including are moving from holding their reserves in dollars alone.
fairheven:
But let us also be realistic,using US to measure is rather far-fetched;the very reason US has done that an still standing,is because Dollar is the world's legal tender,simple put.e.g,if a country is owing the US,that country wud need buy the dollar to pay,but if the US is owing any country,all they need is to print the dollar to pay,so in reality the USA is owing nobody.
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by mapet: 9:47am On Sep 09, 2014
Oga sir,

You better re-couch this in simple ABC English. The folks you're talking to are struggling with understanding simple logic

voltron: hmmmm. while we make valid arguments on the unbecoming social behavior and dumb reasoning of our people.. why not also see these symptoms as a deeper sign of malaise within the governing Eco-system that is now manifesting? are we trying to cure malaria while leaving mosquitoes to breed.

The basic rule is that you lay a sustainable foundation for your legacy to thrive for generations to come, that is how social and economic infrastructures in developed countries continue to cause wonder for Africans from less-developed regions. It is the key to living long in the land that you find yourself. ensure that your children's children are able to pay for the debts you owed due to your investment in their future. if this does not happen or the foundation for sustainability is weak. there will be curses .. worse; the same impoverished you have left behind will prey on the few elite who benefited from your intransigence. Eko o ni baje oooh
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by Beckharm: 9:52am On Sep 09, 2014
Here on nairaland after long time as a guest and NL data loss which cleared my username. Welcome me
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by capricon: 10:53am On Sep 09, 2014
whitecat007: Just $3B? with all the infrastructures and carrying the burdens of refugees from eastern states? then Fashola of Lagos has done very well, when compared to the Omugo in Aso rock who has eaten the same amount in food alone, and burrowing more with nothing to show for it other than ogogoro bleached lips.

Which infrastructure? 3billion dollars with very little to show for it. And those eastern refuges are another reason lagos state has so much money otherwise it would be left to tax swamp dwellers
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by capricon: 10:56am On Sep 09, 2014
iykak47: The report says Lagos state owes 33.86 percent of the country's total sub-national external debt, this is the 5th page, still those defending Fashola and his master Tinubu on the issue can't specifically say what Lagos state is doing with the borrowed money. Where are the mega projects? Must people defend their demi-gods even if it doesn't make sense?
AS usual they're playing the population card on the matter which Kano or some states can collectively play also.

There is nothing to show for it thats why they resort to ethnic bashing.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by Gbawe: 12:15pm On Sep 09, 2014
capricon:

There is nothing to show for it thats why they resort to ethnic bashing.

You must be out of your mind. There is ample evidence on ground, more than anywhere else in Nigeria, to "show for it". If bigoted 'amebos', putting their nose where it does not belong, choose not to see the giant stride the entire world sees and acknowledge then don't deem it "ethnic bashing" when exasperated true Lagosians and South-Westerners speak against the "nothing to show" dishonesty postulated mainly by Nairalanders from the SE. Do SE folks care about the SW that much? Is it a coincidence that Hausa, Fulani and even most SS folks are indifferent to the affairs of the SW, as it should be and perhaps because they are minding their own business and problems, while it is SE folks who carry SW matter on their head negatively and malevolently? Guy, face your front abeg. You are simply another dishonest fellow.

See the thread below and give yourself a slap for your "nothing to show for it" garbage. You people are incredible. Throughout the world, leaders with supreme and pivotally decisive information are praising Fashola for his "hugely transformational leadership" and you are here spreading falsehood. You lot are irredeemable.

https://www.nairaland.com/1894158/lagos-politics-progress-development-pictorial#26147706

1 Like

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by komekn(m): 2:07pm On Sep 09, 2014
Fashola impresses me immensely, when I come to Lagos, I CAN FEEL SEE, TOUCH & EXPERIENCE the dividends of democracy.

The ability to borrow foreign capital is a reflection of astute economic policies and projected capacity to be considered a SAFE VIABLE INVESTMENT

My advice borrow more to do more , well done Fashola.[i][/i]

1 Like

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by agangadiman(m): 2:13pm On Sep 09, 2014
at least lagos has SOMETHING to show for te oney it owes,

-building a metroline

- building a new international airport on the island

- private investment into state infrastructure, and leisure facilities

- improving tourism and generally cleaning up the state slowly but surely.

none of this is replicated in any other states, with only about 2 or 3 coming anywhere slightly close to lagos ( ogun state, and rivers, ) the rest are just useless govt dependent political entitites swallowing funds with no result. all nothern states are just so run down now its unbeleiveable. the development that kaduna, niger, and kano enjoyed has deteriorated. as for middle belt... they are just as useless. no viable major businesses there anymore.

America that is called the "richest" country in the world, is also the most INDEBTED country, infact... the top 10 richest countries owe 60% of the world's debt.... so in our society today where Usury is the language spoen in business, it is good to borrow and make good use of the money. not just to borrow and spend it on a house in UK/US buying a range rover etc.

UP lagos jare

1 Like

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by Gbawe: 2:17pm On Sep 09, 2014
komekn: Fashola impresses me immensely, when I come to Lagos, I CAN FEEL SEE, TOUCH & EXPERIENCE the dividends of democracy.

The ability to borrow foreign capital is a reflection of astute economic policies and projected capacity to be considered a SAFE VIABLE INVESTMENT

My advice borrow more to do more , well done Fashola.[i][/i]

Thank you ojare. See the thread below to note that your admiration of Fashola is not misplaced. The man truly deserves the praises and one would expect that all Nigerians, regardless of ethno-religious or political affiliations, will be able to give credit where due in regard to the efforts of Fashola. Alas one can never mitigate for the pervasively toxic hatred that runs in some people to the point it blinds them to the very obvious reality and makes them vendors of lies and deception.

https://www.nairaland.com/1894158/lagos-politics-progress-development-pictorial#26147706
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by ntyce(m): 2:40pm On Sep 09, 2014
USA owes $17 trillion in debt
france owes €2 trillion
uk owes £1 trillion

Bangladesh owes $21 billion
Mali owes $3 billion
Niger Republic $1 billion

Debt is generally measured relative to the GDP value, Lagos state's GDP is roughly 50% of the entire country. So it having merely 33% is not too high.
No one will borrow the state if they borrowers are not assured of repayment.

Based on magnitude of current figures, borrowers will still prefer giving to Lagos than any other state in the country.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by Nobody: 2:40pm On Sep 09, 2014
I'm not sure most of the people crying have ever been to Lagos. No state in Nigeria can come close to Lagos in development in the last 15 years, NONE.
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by Gbawe: 2:53pm On Sep 09, 2014
django1: I'm not sure most of the people crying have ever been to Lagos. No state in Nigeria can come close to Lagos in development in the last 15 years, NONE.

Absolutely. A waste of time even arguing the case in relation to what Fashola has achieved given the incredible burden of Lagos and lack of federal assistance instigated by bad politics. If I was Bill Gates or Warren Buffet, I will even 'dash' Fashola $5 billion to assist his sterling effort.
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by PreacherMAN1: 3:13pm On Sep 09, 2014
Gbawe shut up. You make too much noise.

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by capricon: 3:24pm On Sep 09, 2014
Gbawe:

You must be out of your mind. There is ample evidence on ground, more than anywhere else in Nigeria, to "show for it". If bigoted 'amebos', putting their nose where it does not belong, choose not to see the giant stride the entire world sees and acknowledge then don't deem it "ethnic bashing" when exasperated true Lagosians and South-Westerners speak against the "nothing to show" dishonesty postulated mainly by Nairalanders from the SE. Do SE folks care about the SW that much? Is it a coincidence that Hausa, Fulani and even most SS folks are indifferent to the affairs of the SW, as it should be and perhaps because they are minding their own business and problems, while it is SE folks who carry SW matter on their head negatively and malevolently? Guy, face your front abeg. You are simply another dishonest fellow.

See the thread below and give yourself a slap for your "nothing to show for it" garbage. You people are incredible. Throughout the world, leaders with supreme and pivotally decisive information are praising Fashola for his "hugely transformational leadership" and you are here spreading falsehood. You lot are irredeemable.

Its not about viewing any thread because i have eyes and live in Lagos. 4billion dollars just for a few roads? Few buildings? What else?
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by PreacherMAN1: 3:26pm On Sep 09, 2014
“He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien
A word for the wise
For all those supporting the destruction of Lagos financially (Gbawe and Co)
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by capricon: 3:43pm On Sep 09, 2014
agangadiman: at least lagos has SOMETHING to show for te oney it owes,

-building a metroline

- [s]building a new international airport on the island
[/s]
- [s]private investment into state infrastructure, and leisure facilities[/s]

- [s]improving tourism and generally cleaning up the state slowly but surely.[/s]

none of this is replicated in any other states, with only about 2 or 3 coming anywhere slightly close to lagos ( ogun state, and rivers, ) the rest are just useless govt dependent political entitites swallowing funds with no result. all nothern states are just so run down now its unbeleiveable. the development that kaduna, niger, and kano enjoyed has deteriorated. as for middle belt... they are just as useless. no viable major businesses there anymore.

America that is called the "richest" country in the world, is also the most INDEBTED country, infact... the top 10 richest countries owe 60% of the world's debt.... so in our society today where Usury is the language spoen in business, it is good to borrow and make good use of the money. not just to borrow and spend it on a house in UK/US buying a range rover etc.

UP lagos jare
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by comrChris(m): 4:55pm On Sep 09, 2014
Gbawe:

gbawe or whatver ur name is u too u r not different from what u accuse the SE of,south west loving other region ehm tell me another story, l have been to ekiti,akure ibadan and lagos and l can tell you that an average south westner hates igbos.

I ask are you a prophet how come you knows that all these comments from south eastner?

If yorubas mind their business that much as you claimed how come they due carry aba thread in their head?

For your information some places in lagos are so bad upon all these debts,igr and allocations, and lagos is a state in nigeria with the highest population from all regions and these people generates almost 70% of lagos igr.so its right for every body to ask question in any issue concerning lagos deal with it

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by 9jagirl4re(f): 6:36pm On Sep 09, 2014
https://www.nairaland.com/1888482/legacy-fasholas-8-year-leadership

Falseola is working hard the poof is in the threads

And on the faces of the real Lagosians

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by komekn(m): 8:25pm On Sep 09, 2014
9jagirl4re: https://www.nairaland.com/1888482/legacy-fasholas-8-year-leadership

Falseola is working hard the poof is in the threads

And on the faces of the real Lagosians

One of the more understated outcomes of city regions and even supposed world class cities is they all are underpinned by huge amounts of deprivation.

Even Dubai there are slum dwellings, Hurricane Katrina exposed the levels of poverty in New Orleans, its not unique to Nigeria or Lagos, ive been to really down trodden parts of England as well.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Supporters Throng Ambode's Office To Celebrate APC Victory / Fuel Scarcity: Nigerians Lament Lack Of Petrol (see Tweets) / Vanguard Editorial Rejects $500m Loan For NTA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.