Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:10 AM

Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? (23558 Views)

Marada: Essential Medicinal Herbs / The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression / A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by justi4jesu(f): 6:20am On Sep 11, 2014
LMAyedun: Seun did. grin

Allow him to Sleep in Peace, why do you want to wake him up..Nobody called you biko park well angry
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Muscomide: 6:20am On Sep 11, 2014
The day to day living conditions of Nigeria sef fit cause person Depression.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by seedord247(m): 6:23am On Sep 11, 2014
Only the rich folks suffered from depression. The middle class and the ghettoos dont cause they were born in depression and they have see it as a away of life and they even make life out it.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by vikel2104: 6:23am On Sep 11, 2014
mecussey:

Are you indirectly saying that Mynd is also suffering from depression?
That is not what I meant. Please modify your post in order not to derail this thread. Thank you.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by CoCoLav(f): 6:24am On Sep 11, 2014
The thing about depression is nobody knows you are gong through it unless you tell them. Had it for like a year before I got over it and even now when I feel myself slipping back I just talk to God. Sometimes all we need is support and for someone to be there. When it got too much at a point and I went for counselling, I wasn't comfortable with the way the doctor was taking it. She kept asking questions on if I had just broken up with my boyfriend so I just played along and left after enough moral advice.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Abdullateef77(m): 6:26am On Sep 11, 2014
Its a threating disease.the sooner u realise it d sooner u diagnose it.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by LMAyedun(m): 6:27am On Sep 11, 2014
justi4jesu:

Allow him to Sleep in Peace, why do you want to wake him up..Nobody called you biko park well angry
Madam, why the beef nau? Thought we are friends sad
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Abdullateef77(m): 6:27am On Sep 11, 2014
Its a threating disease.the sooner u realise it d sooner u treat it.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by justi4jesu(f): 6:29am On Sep 11, 2014
LMAyedun: Madam, why the beef nau? Thought we are friends sad

I dont do beef, i only do Cow leg and Shaki grin tongue
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by LMAyedun(m): 6:35am On Sep 11, 2014
justi4jesu:

I dont do beef, i only do Cow leg and Shaki grin tongue
Now, I give up.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by OduntanGabriel(m): 6:38am On Sep 11, 2014
HAVING A JOINT ACCOUNT WITH UR SPOUSE ,GOOD or BAD?

www.nairaland.com/1897334/having-joint-account-spouse-good
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 6:38am On Sep 11, 2014
Nice topic @op

Depression is very deadly. it can affect someone's mood,thoughts,feelings and total sense of well being.I have been there once and thank God I am ok now. And to make matters worse nobody seems to have an idea of what you are going through. They will just tell you to drink panadol and sleep well grin grin grin
It can make one feel sad, worthless, forgetful, alone, guilty, hurt and restless.
You end up losing intrest in things that used to make you happy. And the last resort is contemplating or committing sucide.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by pricelessmr: 6:39am On Sep 11, 2014
This is an important topic. People ignorantly or deliberately avoid using the term depression, let alone seek help for it.

While some cases of depression would improve by change of environment, family support or church activities, some need careful psychotherapy.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 6:50am On Sep 11, 2014
CoCoLav: The thing about depression is nobody knows you are gong through it unless you tell them. Had it for like a year before I got over it and even now when I feel myself slipping back I just talk to God. Sometimes all we need is support and for someone to be there. When it got too much at a point and I went for counselling, I wasn't comfortable with the way the doctor was taking it. She kept asking questions on if I had just broken up with my boyfriend so I just played along and left after enough moral advice.

Exactly, nobody knows what you are going through, even when you tell them they still won't understand but thank God my dad was there for me in my own case.
I wonder who told the doctors/therapists that it's only boyfriends issues that can make one depressed. grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Dexema(m): 6:59am On Sep 11, 2014
softsparkyy:

Exactly, nobody knows what you are going through, even when you tell them they still won't understand but thank God my dad was there for me in my own case.
I wonder who told the doctors/therapists that it's only boyfriends issues that can make one depressed. grin

Fragile Soul- when love is gone, pain sets in tearing the walls of trust and hope. Now I withdraw into my shell until .........Until you find love again?
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by francesoly: 7:02am On Sep 11, 2014
Thanks fr dis topic, I think am suffering from it too cos after I lost my Hus a yr ago, am always sick n I have treated several times both malaria n typhoid n I have even tasted fr hypertatis cos of my frequent sickness BT all in vain, I don't understand myselm n my system again n dat gets me frustrated cos sometimes when am having dis symptoms of malaria n typhoid I don't bother going to hospital or taking drugs cos I know its d same old story n as am writing dis I have been having dat signs. Of sickness fr 2wks n am not ready to drink any drug. I change my WK n location to know if I can recorver but Noway, I don't tell pple or relative anymore cos they are tired of my complaints n don't seem to understand me. Other symptoms am having are sleeplessness, lack of appetite, body pains like a sign of malaria,emtptyness is sometimes I feel like dying BT if I look at my children I reject dat one, I always WK overtime in my office not dat I like it but to keep myself busy cos its worse when am at home doing nothing, even d little sleep I will have will be full of dreams n I don pray n tired abt waking up every morning to cancel any negative dreams I had. Pls I need yr assistance bf I go mad

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Onegai(f): 7:02am On Sep 11, 2014
kadas01: Thanks a lot Op! This is a very enlightening and educative topic that would be of help to many out there!

From personal experience, reading spiritual books depending on your "faith and conviction" could be of very great help! What is most important is the "inner strength" to overcome depression!

The Lord Almighty is our strength!

I know so many people like you! Most times, however, this advice rarely ends well. One depressed case committed suicide at 70 and his wife kept declaring it was "juju from the village". The other case attempted suicide (whilst her family was busy carrying her from church to church), luckily she was taken abroad and her aunt (a very educated woman who doesn't believe in superstitious crap) took her to the hospital. She's doing great now.

Depression can be cured. And no, it is NOT about inner strength. Please stop passing misinformation.

12 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by CoCoLav(f): 7:03am On Sep 11, 2014
softsparkyy:

Nigerian mentality.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by nwaobitex: 7:06am On Sep 11, 2014
depression??

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 7:10am On Sep 11, 2014
Dexema:

Fragile Soul- when love is gone, pain sets in tearing the walls of trust and hope. Now I withdraw into my shell until .........Until you find love again?
Until I am strong again. wink wink wink
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by safarigirl(f): 7:16am On Sep 11, 2014
Been having bouts of depression for some years now. It goes on and off. Sometimes I just feel hopeless and I break down and cry and yes, nobody understands.

I'm always told "you'll get over it" or "you're not the only one with problems". Then I'm teased about it and told to pray on it. Many times I've suggested therapy, but do we have therapists in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by UuzbaGuuzba: 7:17am On Sep 11, 2014
kenbee: so, I'm not a Nigerian

Is "Nigerian"written anywhere on your face. You are a human being just like 9billion others on earth.

My take on this depression thing. If oyibo's usually get it, it would be as a result of their life style. If we, Nigerians start living oyibo life style, book, phone, clothes, TV and all other modern amenities that were not originally African ways, then likelyhood, we'd get depression too.

I regularly get malaria. i've got it at least 2ce a year since I was born. At least. Same old Mosquito bit me, stress and heat.

The moment I stayed overseas for 4 continous years, I didn't get thr malaria again. As per, there was no mosquito there to give me the malaria. Instead I got something else. I don't even know what it was. I just had this massive headache. The doctor there spoke some english I didn't just get. She no even gree put had for my head or use that stethoscope thing.

But I think now, that I must just have been depressed there. And that was the illness.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by samexlafaze: 7:21am On Sep 11, 2014
rill: So depression suppresses the body's immune system?
NO,not like that,depression didn't cause Gab's malaria,though illness(here "maybe" malaria) could bring about depression and sometimes drugs used to treat a particular Illness may also bring about depression also depression may come as a result of one's situation in life(maybe being a social outcast,no friends,no girlfriend or boyfriend or husband ever,no jobs,tins like that or maybe too much pressure to succed)...#WhatiThinkOoo...Not doctors opinion

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by disloman(m): 7:22am On Sep 11, 2014
Depression is a killer.Went thru it.It wasn't pleasant.This is a thread 4 all of us to make use of.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by samexlafaze: 7:36am On Sep 11, 2014
Nigerians need to understand more about depression,bi-polar and d likes

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by DollyParton1(f): 7:36am On Sep 11, 2014
CoCoLav: The thing about depression is nobody knows you are gong through it unless you tell them. Had it for like a year before I got over it and even now when I feel myself slipping back I just talk to God. Sometimes all we need is support and for someone to be there. When it got too much at a point and I went for counselling, I wasn't comfortable with the way the doctor was taking it. She kept asking questions on if I had just broken up with my boyfriend so I just played along and left after enough moral advice.
The doctor is right to ask you questions if you have just broken up with your boyfriend or maybe you just lost a loved one or something major and bad just happened to you. If any if this is the case, then you aint suffering from depression.
Depression is diagnosed if one has no cause to be depressed and one is. Except if one has been diagnosed with it before and one suffered a major loss or something.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by pickabeau1: 7:37am On Sep 11, 2014
OP

If he had depression all this while, who made the diagnosis of malaria and typhoid
Where they made without tests
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by CoCoLav(f): 7:38am On Sep 11, 2014
DollyParton1:
The doctor is right to ask you questions if you have just broken up with your boyfriend or maybe you just lost a loved one or something major and bad just happened to you. If any if this is the case, then you aint suffering from depression.
Depression is diagnosed if one has no cause to be depressed and one is. Except if one has been diagnosed with it before and one suffered a major loss or something.

She didn't talk about loss. She kept on with the boyfriend talk even after I told her I hadn't dated in about a year.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by eleojo23: 7:45am On Sep 11, 2014
pickabeau1: OP

If he had depression all this while, who made the diagnosis of malaria and typhoid
Where they made without tests
He had malaria in most cases but other behavioural changes were not congruent with the symptoms of malaria. I guess the malaria masked the depression and also he is a very quite person.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by pickabeau1: 7:48am On Sep 11, 2014
eleojo23: He had malaria in most cases but other behavioural changes were not congruent with the symptoms of malaria. I guess the malaria masked the depression and also he is a very quite person.

Ok.. this was not clear initially in the OP

Good
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:49am On Sep 11, 2014
safarigirl: Been having bouts of depression for some years now. It goes on and off. Sometimes I just feel hopeless and I break down and cry and yes, nobody understands.

I'm always told "you'll get over it" or "you're not the only one with problems". Then I'm teased about it and told to pray on it. Many times I've suggested therapy, but do we have therapists in Nigeria?
We do but don't seek quacks else you would end the session with let's hold hands and pray it away. Then you feel depressed all over again.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 7:50am On Sep 11, 2014
OP thanks. This is a reality most Nigerians don't accept but it is a reality!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Marburg Virus Disease Confirmed In Guinea, First In West Africa / 5 Dangers Of Not Changing Your Boxers[must Read] / Six Ways To Make Your Toilet A Safe Haven

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.