Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,755 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:41 PM

Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? (23553 Views)

Marada: Essential Medicinal Herbs / The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression / A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by sopoundz(m): 11:02am On Sep 11, 2014
I v most of d symptoms above buh d reason for my depression is money o! should I seek professional services?
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by AdesinaOlajide(m): 11:12am On Sep 11, 2014
God bless the Op and others with good comments . When depression sets in, it could be terrible. That's why going to see a professional is advisable.My prayer goes to everyone suffering from this.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by DollyParton1(f): 11:21am On Sep 11, 2014
MissMeiya:

Not true. I can tell you have no experience with depression.
People tend to confuse depressive mood with clinical depression.
Depressed mood may be a normal reaction to life events, or a symptom of certain medical conditions or a side effect some drugs or medical treatments. AND it is also a primary or associated feature of clinical depression.
Once the underlying cause is treated or addressed, the depressive moods goes normally.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by kadas01(m): 11:25am On Sep 11, 2014
Onegai:

I know so many people like you! Most times, however, this advice rarely ends well. One depressed case committed suicide at 70 and his wife kept declaring it was "juju from the village". The other case attempted suicide (whilst her family was busy carrying her from church to church), luckily she was taken abroad and her aunt (a very educated woman who doesn't believe in superstitious crap) took her to the hospital. She's doing great now.

Depression can be cured. And no, it is NOT about inner strength. Please stop passing misinformation.
I spoke about my "personal experience"! Where in my post did you see me "opposing" "medical solution" to depression! You better be very careful when making your nonsensical reference! For now, I don't have your time!
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by ElNur1: 11:25am On Sep 11, 2014
Nigerians ar given birth with depression, raised with depression taught depression. Liv depression nd so kill depression at very tender age.
Nigerians were born with an antidote that kills depression.
So whats happens everyday will surely be part of u.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by GuyFawkes: 11:33am On Sep 11, 2014
bieagole: There is another type of depression. We call it postnatal (or postpartum) depression: it affects woman after baby birth. But i know in africa, everythin is witchcraft.

See on this link:
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Postnataldepression/Pages/Introduction.aspx

That's another serious one,but with proper therapy and medicine can be dealt with.
Its a very common occurence in Nigeria,Yorubas's call it "abisiwin" . Its often mistaken for witchcraft but people are waking up to the realities.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by walex2bad(m): 11:40am On Sep 11, 2014
Experiencing depression as a student can be frustruating especially when you start to see studying as a boring routine, it places your grade at stake. You see life from a different perspective, you loose interest in things you love doing. Even doing house chores can be boring. Am still yet to see a therapist. I am beginning to see it as a way of life. Maybe I can manage to live with it..

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 11:44am On Sep 11, 2014
Excelboi: I used Flouxetine (prozac) 20mg per day. I will strongly advise you to seek an expert, doctor preferably to direct you and there are many anti-depressants drugs you can use, you just have to find the one which work best for you. Please be very careful with this prozac as it has many side effects (even though I'm yet to see any, only increase appetite) and it can increase the risk of suicide if misused.
Other side effects include:
Low libido
Headache
Numbness
Dizziness
Loss or increase in appetite etc
It will take about 2 weeks before you start noticing the changes, as it will balance your serontin level (a chemical involved In mood balancing). Goodluck

Let me add my own warnings to yours. Use of any antidepressant by people under the age of 24 can increase the risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior. Ironic, huh? Also, not everyone responds the same way to the different drugs. Each person's chemistry is different. Everyone gets their own very special set of side effects.

Fluoxetine made the sight and smell of food repugnant to me, as well as deleting my appetite entirely. I lost a great deal of weight and gave up on treatment for a year before my parents forced me to try again. There's a lot of giving up and starting over.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 11:47am On Sep 11, 2014
DollyParton1:
People tend to confuse depressive mood with clinical depression.
Depressed mood may be a normal reaction to life events, or a symptom of certain medical conditions or a side effect some drugs or medical treatments. AND it is also a primary or associated feature of clinical depression.
Once the underlying cause is treated or addressed, the depressive moods goes normally.

So which do you think that girl was talking about? She's not confusing the two. Neither am I. Maybe the therapist she saw needs to read the difference.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 11:51am On Sep 11, 2014
benELOHIM7: nobody was there for me, nobody has been there for me. my parents r not much learned, my siblings dont knw i struggle to live....even if i disclose my situation they still wont understand. i resorted to religion but it seems the standard is just too high for me. i know i have a bright future but a voice keeps telling me i dont fit in in that future. i grew up a sanguine but now am worse than a melancholic. atimes i feel the best favour anyone could do me is help me press delete. i don tire

You can pm me.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Haywhymido(m): 12:02pm On Sep 11, 2014
justi4jesu:

No one noticed tongue
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by gatiano(m): 12:09pm On Sep 11, 2014
i don't still understand why i can't bring myself to read it to the end, it is or was sad, and i feel for Gabriel, it must have been hard on him as i know some who suffer from reoccuring illnesses. the/his doctors needs to be sued for wasting his time on malaria and typhoid (which infact was not the problem), and that salmonella parasite is very bad and it is due to bad/ contaminated food. i had quite the opposite, called lamblia and disbiosis.

like i said and i won't retreat, it is frustration. he wanted to attain something, and he couldn't due to some external factors. suicidal thoughts, is due to excessive mucou production, when it get too much so much so that it already gets to the brain, then ridiculous thoughts begin to set in, not only suicides, but seeing things, blaming all but oneself (clouded judgement). and pork meat does a lot of damages than people will ever come to realize.
bluelover: I advise you please read the post!! Stop spreading your ignorance around!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by mamabear1(f): 12:18pm On Sep 11, 2014
eleojo23: In order not to further lengthen the original post, I did not go into full details on the signs and symptoms of depression. There are good online articles on the subject that you can read.

But for the sake of this thread, let me share a little on the subject.

The Federal Government Source for Women's Health Information defines "depression as an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts. It affects the way you eat and sleep, the way you feel about yourself, and the way you think about things." It's more than "feeling blue" or "trying to pull yourself together" and you can't wish it away.
There is no single cause of depression. It runs in some families but people with no family history also become depressed. Other causes include stressful life changes, like divorce, losing a job, the loss of a loved one, or a serious illness.

What are some of the symptoms?
-Always feeling sad or empty
-Lack of interest in favorite activities
-Feeling irritable
-Crying a lot
-Feeling guilty, worthless, or hopeless
-Sleeping too much or not at all
-Eating too much or not at all
-Problems making decisions or
concentrating
-Thoughts of suicide and death
-Drinking and using drugs

If you're feeling any of these symptoms for more than 2 weeks, you should get professional help.

Diz is so me...I ve been diz way 4 a long time...I always knew I was not ok, buh pple won't get at all, I jus shove it off n always try 2 act fine... Thr re dayz I jus sit down n say 2maself I need a shrink, buh diz is Nigeria, we don't believe in such. Right now it's a way of life 4me, ma frnds call me a "weirdo" others "ogbanje" buh I cud careless... I'm scared of nofin, ve interest in nofin, I easily get bored...can't stay committed 2 a tin... I feel life is jus filled wiv highs n lows buh d lows is more 4me....some dayz I jus wanna run n get lost or hide or sumfin, I feel d worst dat cud happen is death n I'm not scared, rada it wud giv me more peace hence I do a lot of risky stuff
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 12:26pm On Sep 11, 2014
mecussey:

Are you indirectly saying that Mynd44 is also suffering from depression?

Depression does not pertain to just a certain race.....Alot of people(Nigerian's), do suffer from depression, but are afraid to open up to their loved one's about it, out of fear of been viewed as either weak or crazy.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by johnstin(m): 12:31pm On Sep 11, 2014
Nairalanders, please pay close attention to this experience!

If you know anyone who's always joking about commiting suicide, please take such a person seriously and don't hesitate to take the appropriate action.
There was this young guy (not more than 35 years) in my area who used to joke about commiting suicide in the future to avoid paying up his debts, but people never took him seriously because he was a very jovial guy.

My brothers and sisters, the guy is no more.
Cause of his death: suicide by intake of poison.

No matter how charismatic and effervescent one is, depression can creep in if one experiences serious problems.

I was at the mercy of chronic depression when I lost my beloved mom.
Unfortunately, I was very far away from home then, so there was really no one around to console me. It was GOD that helped me. I started reading the bible steadily and praying seriously.
I was also doing very rigorous exercise to be able to sleep at night.
I believe what worked for me can work for others; which is my reason for sharing this.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Sep 11, 2014
CoCoLav: The thing about depression is nobody knows you are going through it unless you tell them. Had it for like a year before I got over it and even now when I feel myself slipping back I just talk to God. Sometimes all we need is support and for someone to be there. When it got too much at a point and I went for counselling, I wasn't comfortable with the way the doctor was taking it. She kept asking questions on if I had just broken up with my boyfriend so I just played along and left after enough moral advice.
You are so right. Sometimes I don't understand our doctors. A lot of illnesses and disorders exist. But it's almost like there's a set of illnesses that one as a nigerian is supposed to suffer from. So most times, people end up returning for treatments frequently or going from one doctor to the other because treatment isn't working. Misdiagnosis is something I think nigerians face a lot today. I had a problem with depression too a few years back and it got so serious I decided to see a doctor. I was in my early teens then, and contemplated suicide too many times to count. After about thirty minutes, the doctor gave me his diagnosis: Obsessive/Compulsive disorder. I still think about it today and wonder what I said to give him that impression. I never agreed with the diagnosis and never went back. I can manage the occasional black periods myself now. And I don't think just one session is enough to diagnose any disorder accurately.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Sep 11, 2014
Jemimahsummers: You are so right. Sometimes I don't understand our doctors. A lot of illnesses and disorders exist. But it's almost like there's a set of illnesses that one as a nigerian is supposed to suffer from. So most times, people end up returning for treatments frequently or going from one doctor to the other because treatment isn't working. Misdiagnosis is something I think nigerians face a lot today. I had a problem with depression too a few years back and it got so serious I decided to see a doctor. I was in my early teens then, and contemplated suicide too many times to count. After about thirty minutes, the doctor gave me his diagnosis: Obsessive/Compulsive disorder. I still think about it today and wonder what I said to give him that impression. I never agreed with the diagnosis and never went back. I can manage the occasional black periods myself now. And I don't think just one session is enough to diagnose any disorder accurately.
And it doesn't help that we don't have the facilities required to rigntly diagnose these things.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Sep 11, 2014
softsparkyy: Nice topic @op

Depression is very deadly. it can affect someone's mood,thoughts,feelings and total sense of well being.I have been there once and thank God I am ok now. And to make matters worse nobody seems to have an idea of what you are going through. They will just tell you to drink panadol and sleep well grin grin grin
It can make one feel sad, worthless, forgetful, alone, guilty, hurt and restless.
You end up losing intrest in things that used to make you happy. And the last resort is contemplating or committing sucide.

'forgetful' and 'restless' is on point. I remember even losing my sense of self and awareness of my surroundings frequently. It's a serious thing. I got lucky a few times. How many of you have had phases? Like you get a reprieve for a while and generally feel on cloud nine right before it hits again? I wondered for a while if it had something to do with being a developing teen.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by ooshinibos: 1:12pm On Sep 11, 2014
eleojo23: This is a true life story about what happened to my friend. Yes, the events in this story happened right before my eyes.

Gabriel and I have been friends since primary school. We went to school together everyday while in secondary school. Gabriel was much better than me in terms of grades because his average scores were always higher than mine. He is naturally quiet but when we are together, he does most of the talking. He is someone who always comes up with unique ideas and views on how things should be done. He is a very confident person who can convince people to do things.

At some point in secondary school, he began having recurrent typhoid and malaria such that he treated it more than thrice a year. He missed school because of it sometimes. It became a regular thing for him to always treat malaria once in a while.
But things took a turn for the worst when he started to feel unsure of himself. There was a time he told me while we were reading together
''I don't even know what/who I am anymore''
Being naive then, I just brushed it off as one of his 'tantrums' because he could get really angry at things and blurt out words sometimes.

But his condition deteriorated. He began to have difficulty concentrating on his studies, lost interest in singing his usual songs (he has a good voice), he started skipping meals, slept little and became generally gloomy. As I would find out later, he even thought much about suicide (nobody including me knew about it)
'How could Gab possibly be thinking of suicide?'
That would have been our reaction then if he had ever told us about it.

A few years past and we were already in the university. The symptoms I stated above came back. He began to have a hard time in the university and he was already contemplating quitting school entirely.

At one time, he came down with his usual malaria and typhoid and went to the hospital. Usually when he goes to the hospital, the doctors would already conclude that he was having his usual bouts of the Plasmodium and Salmonella infection. But this time, the doctor who examined him decided to probe further and ask him some few questions. He sensed that he had a more serious problem than just malaria. The doctor called his mum and told her
'This boy looks depressed'
When I heard it, I could not bring myself to agree with the empirical diagnosis.
I said to myself 'No way, Gabriel doesn't have depression. He's just having recurrent malaria. Maybe the doctor mistook his quiet nature for depression'
But I was going to be proved wrong a month later. I guess his parents hesitated a bit before deciding to let him see the doctor again. And so after his visit to the doctor, he came back and told me the diagnosis -depression.

I asked myself 'how?!' I was shocked. I had never come across anyone who had it and if anyone should have it, why did it have to be Gabriel?
It was then it dawned on me that there are a lot of persons who may appear fine on the outside but on the inside, they are suffering from depression. And that explains the downward turn of things in the life of some of them.

My friend was placed on medication and I saw the old Gabriel come alive again.

Just like most Nigerians, I was caught up in the error of thinking that we can't have people who suffer depression.
There are many causes of depression. In the case of my friend it wasn't suffering (harsh conditions of life) or the loss of a loved one.
It was due to a chemical imbalance in his brain and maybe stress if I may say. The pathology of depression is rather complex and a lot of factors come into play. One thing however that should be clear to all is that depression is not madness as some people regard it.

While my friend was struggling with it, I could not tell anyone that he had depression.
There are many persons who are suffering from depression but cannot admit it because people around (family and friends) would not understand it and probably make them feel even worse. They tell them
'Just get over whatever it is that is disturbing you!'
There is a huge stigma attached to being depressed and it is not recognised as a valid condition that someone can suffer from. Even when it is acknowledged, it is regarded as one of those things that only 'oyinbo' people suffer. People around here are quick to demonize everything that is out of the ordinary. There are persons who become alcoholics because of depression and their lives take a turn for the worst but rather than seek for the real cause of the problem, people attribute it to witchcraft influence. What has alcoholism got to do with witchcraft? I am a christian and I know how spiritual everything is- but there is surely a place for psychology, medicine and psychiatry. Not every thing is the devil's doing. There are challenges that are not induced by the devil.
We have to accept the reality that Nigerians also suffer depression and those affected should not be left to suffer alone. We must try to help them when we come across them.

If you know anyone affected, recommend the person for professional help so that his condition can be properly handled.

Extend a helping and supporting hand to the depressed today and the very first thing they need from you is your understanding

Got a story to share? Feel free.

nowadays , Nigerians now have depression because of the socio economic impact , having said that , when compared to advance countries like usa and Europe people commit suicide more in this countries , nigeria is doing well as per the depression rate :-) count , not sure why but i think its because we have hope that things will get better , while our western counterpart have achieved hope and now want something higher than hope ..
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by ooshinibos: 1:14pm On Sep 11, 2014
self centredness and consciouness leads to depression , clinical depression can be treated with chemicals
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by kobonaire(m): 1:20pm On Sep 11, 2014
Katier00: where and how can we seek help
if you can get access to one of the bigger hospitals in your area.
http://ynaija.com/you-can-get-help-these-are-registered-mental-health-centres-in-nigeria-breakthesilence/

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Sep 11, 2014
This might put things into perspective .

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by JeffreyJamez(m): 1:26pm On Sep 11, 2014
And I just found a name to my problem!!
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by anthoniaz(f): 1:34pm On Sep 11, 2014
Nice @ Op.

Depression can drive one into doing things that are unimaginable. It kills.When you are depressed, nothing seems to be right, you become angry, irritated, you are lost in thoughts, either u don't eat or you over eat,either you sleep little or over sleep.There are so many things that cause depression, heart break, loss of a loved one e.t.c

When I was having issues three years ago, I was depressed,I blamed myself for everything, couldn't eat, always angry, I couldn't even think straight anymore, at a point, it was as if I was going to lose my sanity. I just thank God for everything.

Nobody will or can ever understand what a depressed person is going through.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by mecussey(m): 1:47pm On Sep 11, 2014
glitest:

Depression does not pertain to just a certain race.....Alot of people(Nigerian's), do suffer from depression, but are afraid to open up to their loved one's about it, out of fear of been viewed as either weak or crazy.

I don't see any definition of depression that is related to a black man. I only see depression on people who are poor in Africa.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by fightforchange1(f): 1:51pm On Sep 11, 2014
STRONG PEOPLE
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by broswilli: 1:51pm On Sep 11, 2014
Nigerians suffer depression but the problem is the level of stigmatization that you may go through. I remember when someone started a rumuor that i was depressed based on his own mediocre observation. This rumuor caused me a lot of problems. I became a laughing stock for many, infact i became a source of entertainment. The truth is that almost everyone gets depressed in a certain point in life. Half baked knowledge is bad and the Nigerian tendency of making mockery of people in need is also very bad.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Consultville(m): 2:41pm On Sep 11, 2014
smiley
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Sep 11, 2014
Jemimahsummers: 'forgetful' and 'restless' is on point. I remember even losing my sense of self and awareness of my surroundings frequently. It's a serious thing. I got lucky a few times. How many of you have had phases? Like you get a reprieve for a while and generally feel on cloud nine right before it hits again? I wondered for a while if it had something to do with being a developing teen.
Please see a doctor for treatment. I think its called manic depression. Im not sure though.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by faithboi: 3:06pm On Sep 11, 2014
Excelboi: Depression is real and I have suffered from it twice. I just got over the second episode about a week ago. I'm currently on medication and everything is totally normal now. If you are feeling depressed, you need to see a psychiatrist and you maybe put on meds. Pity and hope doesn't work with depression, sometimes you can't fight it alone, you have to seek a professional help.
If you sense that you don't like doing what you like doing before, getting sad over a particular incident for a long period of time, sleeping too little or sleeping a lot, crying without helping it, then there is a possibility you are suffering from depression. The illness doesn't look face, it can affect infant, adolescent and adults and no matter how rich you are, it can attack you. An example is a case of an American celebrity who died some few weeks back. Depression led him to suicide. So try not to get shy and seek for help. And most importantly, it's not everyone you should tell that you have depression. They may make it worse.
Some people get over it through therapy, while some others are put on prozac (one of the best drug for fighting depression, though very powerful) and cognitive therapy to fight it. Sometimes exercise help. If you need advise and help on how to combat it, you can speak up here or contact your nearest psychiatrist.
are u sure ur depression did not arise as a result of ur loses on nairabet?...lol..(just joking!!!)
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by LushGreenz: 3:12pm On Sep 11, 2014
Kanwulia:

Hello sir! How are you doing? wink

I'm very well,thanks ma'am.
#looks left and right on this Nairaland corridor, and whispers# : Can I get acquainted with you, Kanwulia.
wink
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Kanwulia: 3:31pm On Sep 11, 2014
LushGreenz:

I'm very well,thanks ma'am.
#looks left and right on this Nairaland corridor, and whispers# : Can I get acquainted with you, Kanwulia.
wink

No, thanks! I don pass the "acquaintancing" phase of my life ON OR OFF THE CYBER!!!

Lai-Lai!!!!!
Bless you my pikin! cheesy

*na so i say i dey find cyber romance . . . .. waka go jam some alaye igbo-smokers for NVS wey been wan disvirgin my anus, because my toto too wide. na ooo sen me message? like na me say make dem get small-small blokos. mtcheeeeeeew.*

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Marburg Virus Disease Confirmed In Guinea, First In West Africa / Six Ways To Make Your Toilet A Safe Haven / 5 Dangers Of Not Changing Your Boxers[must Read]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.