Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,878 members, 7,810,335 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:21 AM

Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? (15267 Views)

The Best Of The Atheists In Nairaland So Far / Atheists In The House, What Are Your Views On Abortion? / Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by plaetton: 3:32pm On Sep 27, 2014
davidylan:

I live in the US, i got my phd in the US, i do real stuff (whatever the heck that means), i do real molecular biology, i have published in at least three journals with over 150 citations... i still do not believe in evolution and there are millions like me.

So your point is? Africa is not backward because of religion, it is backward because of brainless people like you who merely copy the theories others tell you is true without bothering to think for yourself.

Africa is behind because we have millions of people whose minds are enslaved and encumbered by stone age religious beliefs, beliefs that you even admit to be silly.
You think they are silly and yet you cling to it. That is the type of mental slavery that cannot allow Africans, even our PhDs to construct a reality based on objective reality.

If a PhD cannot neutralize the religious superstitious that you inherited from your society of birth, then of what good could it be to Africa?

We have your academic colleagues, Oyedepo, Adeboye and Bakare , building bulshyt mountains all across our landscapes and everyone is shouting hallelujah.

So much for progress in Africa, huh?

12 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Sep 27, 2014
frank317:

if you are reasonable and capable of doubting evolution, i wonder why you find the bible story plausible. talking donkey, God getting angry (or feeling threatened) because people are building a tower, talking snake, pregnant virgin.

the evolution theory could be wrong, that's why its a theory, its really okay if you doubt it. but what i find ridiculous is that you think i will be punished or burnt in hell after life for not believing a snake talked to Eve. WTF

Simple. Christianity is believed by faith. I dont think i have ever denied that.
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Sep 27, 2014
thehomer:

Now you've got me. I'm curious. Who is this professor of genetics and why doesn't this person accept the theory of evolution? Would that be the same reason why you don't accept it?

You should ask peterken. Seems like you dont read before responding to posts.
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Sep 27, 2014
thehomer:

The fact that you don't accept the scientific theory doesn't make the theory wrong you know. People planted according to seasons even when they didn't know that the reason for seasons was the earth's tilt.

Actually, I would say religion plays a large part in Africa's backwardness. How much thinking would have led Africans to determine that Ebola was caused by a virus?

absolutely true and i have not insinuated that by any means.
I agree that religion does play a part in Africa's backwardness, i am however unwilling to believe the unproven myth that we would be as developed as Japan if people like you were in the majority.
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Sep 27, 2014
thehomer:

Come now. You've been presented with evidence for evolution several times on this forum. And if you actually do have a PhD in the biological sciences, you'll have encoutered it. Your task if you would like to undertake it would be to demonstrate that the evidence you've been presented was wrong.

I've been presented with copy/pasted unverified indefensible trolling for evolution several times on this forum. I have been involved in the biological sciences since 2005, i have come across arguments in defense of evolution, i have however never come across definitive proof for evolution.
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Sep 27, 2014
plaetton:

Africa is behind because we have millions of people whose minds are enslaved and encumbered by stone age religious beliefs, beliefs that you even admit to be silly.
You think they are silly and yet you cling to it. That is the type of mental slavery that cannot allow Africans, even our PhDs to construct a reality based on objective reality.

If a PhD cannot neutralize the religious superstitious that you inherited from your society of birth, then of what good could it be to Africa?

We have your academic colleagues, Oyedepo, Adeboye and Bakare , building bulshyt mountains all across our landscapes and everyone is shouting hallelujah.

So much for progress in Africa, huh?

Well then what on earth are the atheist phds doing for Africa? Have they developed a cure for anything yet or are they still copying from textbooks written by whites?
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by alentyno: 5:15pm On Sep 27, 2014
davidylan:

Well then what on earth are the atheist phds doing for Africa? Have they developed a cure for anything yet or are they still copying from textbooks written by whites?
Help me ask them!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plaetton answer!
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by plaetton: 5:18pm On Sep 27, 2014
davidylan:

Excellent rebuttal davidylan. grin

It reminds of many years ago when my dad was rebuking one of my cousins for failing his exams.
My cousin's excuse was that he was not the only one that failed, so he should not be blamed.
grin grin cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by logicboy01: 5:19pm On Sep 27, 2014
plaetton:

It reminds of many years ago when my dad was rebuking one of my cousins for failing his exams.
My cousin's excuse was that he was not the only one that failed, so he should not be blamed.
grin grin cheesy

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Sep 27, 2014
plaetton:

grin grin cheesy

your response makes no sense to be honest. You and your ilk say that religion is to blame for Africa's backwardness... well where are the atheist phds to show us what we are missing? surely all the phds cant be religious no?

I mean, taking your own analogy at face value... your cousin could also have said that majority of the members of his class also failed and he is sure religion is the cause. Well why hasn't he passed his own exam to show us how a lack of religion improves his ability?
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by plaetton: 5:36pm On Sep 27, 2014
davidylan:

your response makes no sense to be honest. You and your ilk say that religion is to blame for Africa's backwardness... well where are the atheist phds to show us what we are missing? surely all the phds cant be religious no?

davidylan,
Despite all your pretenses to be dumb, I have no doubts that you are intelligent. If for nothing else, I have to respect your PHD. That is not a joke .
It is your honesty that I question sometimes.

Now, take a tour of Nigerian universities and meet with the professors, and chat with them about science, economics, politics and the role of god in earthly affairs.
If you are honest, you would immediately recognize how the African mind is encumbered by useless religious beliefs.

8 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by logicboy01: 5:38pm On Sep 27, 2014
davidylan:

I mean, taking your own analogy at face value... your cousin could also have said that majority of the members of his class also failed and he is sure religion is the cause. Well why hasn't he passed his own exam to show us how a lack of religion improves his ability?

Well, I am very sure that atheists phds are generally smart people and they are keeping their atheism on a low key in order not to be killed, ostracised or discriminated against by you and your religious ilk

Other than that, atheist phds have contributed the best literature to nigeria (Soyinka, chinua achebe)
Atheist phds are fighting for human rights (leo igwe)

and so on

7 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by plaetton: 5:48pm On Sep 27, 2014
alentyno:
Help me ask them!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plaetton answer!

@davidylan.

Also, I hope you are following the TB clown joshua building collapse tragedy and how it is playing out on the Nigerian media and in government circles.
Here we have an uneducated slowpoke who convinces millions that he can defy the law of physics by adding 4 storeys to a 2-storey foundation.
Well, as expected, the laws of physics prevailed.
But now, look how our society, the media and the government is responding to this blatant act of lawlessness.

Can you see in this tragic drama, how religion does not allow the African mind to see and act upon objective reality?

This case is yet the clearest case of religion keeping Africa from moving forward, for, here we see not just the individual members or victims of a lunacy fringe, but the media( the supposed repository of intellects) and the leaders of government acquiesce to the silly and absurd whims of a clown , a fraudster and a law breaker.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Sep 27, 2014
logicboy01:

Well, I am very sure that atheists phds are generally smart people and they are keeping their atheism on a low key in order not to be killed, ostracised or discriminated against by you and your religious ilk

Other than that, atheist phds have contributed the best literature to nigeria (Soyinka, chinua achebe)
Atheist phds are fighting for human rights (leo igwe)

and so on

in addition, what can an atheist phd in science achieve in a country where there are just few people like him probably 0.something%,
science needs a lot of funding for researches and experiments which can only be provided by the government,
what possibly can the few atheists phds do when the house and senates is filled with scientifically illiterate people?
what can they do? when 90% of the population dont know the usefullness of science,
what can they do? when biology teachers and lecturers are teaching creationism instead of evolution to children and undergraduates, (some graduates in biology and related fields dont even know anything about evolution)
WHAT CAN THEY DO? (i can keep on mentioning reasons why they cant do anything, thats why most of them are useful and doing well offshore)

that is why nigeria is lagging behind in medicine, engineering,life sciences.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by logicboy01: 7:32pm On Sep 27, 2014
Peterken05:

in addition, what can an atheist phd in science achieve in a country where there are just few people like him probably 0.something%,
science needs a lot of funding for researches and experiments which can only be provided by the government,
what possibly can the few atheists phds do when the house and senates is filled with scientifically illiterate people?
what can they do? when 90% of the population dont know the usefullness of science,
what can they do? when biology teachers and lecturers are teaching creationism instead of evolution to children and undergraduates, (some graduates in biology and related fields dont even know anything about evolution)
WHAT CAN THEY DO? (i can keep on mentioning reasons why they cant do anything, thats why most of them are useful and doing well offshore)

that is why nigeria is lagging behind in medicine, engineering,life sciences.

Thank you.

Davidylan is too dishonest. Dishonest even to himself. Only a liar would look at Nigeria and think that more Jesus/Christianity will be a good thing.

Religion has failed Nigeria

4 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by thehomer: 9:11pm On Sep 27, 2014
davidylan:

You should ask peterken. Seems like you dont read before responding to posts.

I read your post and you sounded like you knew something.
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by thehomer: 9:15pm On Sep 27, 2014
davidylan:

absolutely true and i have not insinuated that by any means.

So you think the theory may be correct.

davidylan:
I agree that religion does play a part in Africa's backwardness, i am however unwilling to believe the unproven myth that we would be as developed as Japan if people like you were in the majority.

Your acceptance of the role played by religion is a large enough step. If people generally like me were in the majority, I'd say things would be much better.
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by thehomer: 9:18pm On Sep 27, 2014
davidylan:

I've been presented with copy/pasted unverified indefensible trolling for evolution several times on this forum. I have been involved in the biological sciences since 2005, i have come across arguments in defense of evolution, i have however never come across definitive proof for evolution.

Come now. I'm sure the Wikipedia article is much more than "copy/pasted unverified indefensible trolling for evolution".

Your denial of the evidence for evolution and your request for a "definitive proof for evolution" make me suspicious of the sort of involvement you've had in the biological sciences since 2005.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Weah96: 10:06pm On Sep 27, 2014
BossTtdiamonds:

I do not agree with your statement.. Most Atheist are actually satisfied with the idea of "I have no idea why I don't believe in God"

Show me one atheist who said that.
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by wiegraf: 4:25am On Sep 28, 2014
thehomer:
Your denial of the evidence for evolution and your request for a "definitive proof for evolution" make me suspicious of the sort of involvement you've had in the biological sciences since 2005.

This

How can one claim to be a scientist yet state this?! It completely befuddles me. No amount of poetry can describe the state of consternation this harebrained statement, from a supposedly trained pro, evokes from me. A trained biologist, a role model in an environment that desperately needs descent role models, looking others square in the eye and telling them 'there's no evidence for evolution'....

Different thing to contest it. Though foo.lish in this case, frankly, considering the sheer amount of evidence available, from all corners, that he has been well exposed to. That would at least be somewhat palatable. No, instead we get "LALALALALA evolution is silly because I'm not a banana". And there is no evidence for it? Really??

I could claim javascript is a great, huge pile of the most finely crafted, consummate dog s.hit (and many would agree), specially designed by some sadistic skydaddy to troll mortals, but I cannot deny it's a scripting language. Ruby, whose creator happens to be a (somewhat) born again xtian/mormon (I forget) and uses paradigms that are not the default of the trypical, making it alien to many not trained to think in that way. Assuming he also went all re.tard and also added that god sent gabriel to him with instructions on how to design it, that stops Ruby from being a programming language how?

Yet here we are. With a driver claiming a honda is not a car. Yet his mule, and a supposedly talking mule at that (ID), is.

Which kind scientist be dis?! Where the f is the professionalism here?!?

PhD my nyash. Fing disgrace

Man, those drugs are leaving my system

4 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by frank317: 8:35am On Sep 28, 2014
davidylan:

Simple. Christianity is believed by faith. I dont think i have ever denied that.

So Mr.PHD holder, since you believe a virgin could be pregnant by faith, will you think I am crazy if I believe dogs have three heads by faith?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by frank317: 8:57am On Sep 28, 2014
davidylan:

For a PHD holder, you are asking a very silly question. How can an atheist achieve anaything with the likes of you heading evry department in the country? Religion has messed up ur mind man. Do you think you can achieve any scientific feat with your sort of thinking?

3 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by thehomer: 9:22am On Sep 28, 2014
wiegraf:

This

How can one claim to be a scientist yet state this?! It completely befuddles me. No amount of poetry can describe the state of consternation this harebrained statement, from a supposedly trained pro, evokes from me. A trained biologist, a role model in an environment that desperately needs descent role models, looking others square in the eye and telling them 'there's no evidence for evolution'....

Different thing to contest it. Though foo.lish in this case, frankly, considering the sheer amount of evidence available, from all corners, that he has been well exposed to. That would at least be somewhat palatable. No, instead we get "LALALALALA evolution is silly because I'm not a banana". And there is no evidence for it? Really??

I could claim javascript is a great, huge pile of the most finely crafted, consummate dog s.hit (and many would agree), specially designed by some sadistic skydaddy to troll mortals, but I cannot deny it's a scripting language. Ruby, whose creator happens to be a (somewhat) born again xtian/mormon (I forget) and uses paradigms that are not the default of the trypical, making it alien to many not trained to think in that way. Assuming he also went all re.tard and also added that god sent gabriel to him with instructions on how to design it, that stops Ruby from being a programming language how?

Yet here we are. With a driver claiming a honda is not a car. Yet his mule, and a supposedly talking mule at that (ID), is.

Which kind scientist be dis?! Where the f is the professionalism here?!?

PhD my nyash. Fing disgrace

Man, those drugs are leaving my system

One of the best things about anonymous forums is that anyone can claim to be anything they want. Maybe he has a degree but it could be from a non-accredited school like Dr. Dino's school. Or he could just be making stuff up in order to brow beat others into thinking that they're not qualified to handle his special brand of wrong information.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Sep 28, 2014
frank317:

For a PHD holder, you are asking a very silly question. How can an atheist achieve anaything with the likes of you heading evry department in the country? Religion has messed up ur mind man. Do you think you can achieve any scientific feat with your sort of thinking?

this is one of the reason i'm hostile to any form of religious indoctrination.

If religion can do this to a Phd holder in Microbiology, what about 3 year old child indoctrinated right from birth, what about people that read bible or quran before reading any science textbook?

And we have the likes of them in our schools, univerisities, looking at the situation, it gives me a zero-confidence anything good can come out of it.

I was arguing with a brother that studied physics in the university, i was explaining stuff about the big bang, dark universe, the cosmos to him, i was suprised when he said 'all those stuffs are not real, even quantum physics isnt real' and i was like WTF.

I use to tell people if i have my way out of this country to study overseas, I wont hesistate.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Sep 28, 2014
frank317:

So Mr.PHD holder, since you believe a virgin could be pregnant by faith, will you think I am crazy if I believe dogs have three heads by faith?

it is so glaring that people can believe and commit atrocities all in the name of religion.

If a person eats a bread and calls it elvis presely body, we would think its crazy right? But if a bread is distributed in church and it is called jesus body, we call it holy communium.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Sep 28, 2014
frank317:

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by logicboy01: 2:08pm On Sep 28, 2014
Davidylan, you don enter "one chance" with your Phd in creationism. grin

Next time, dont parade your pseudoscientific defence of religion around atheists

4 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by thehomer: 2:14pm On Sep 28, 2014
Peterken05:

it is so glaring that people can believe and commit atrocities all in the name of religion.

If a person eats a bread and calls it elvis presely body, we would think its crazy right? But if a bread is distributed in church and it is called jesus body, we call it holy communium.

This summarizes it perfeectly.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by plaetton: 2:27pm On Sep 28, 2014
davidylan:

Good to hear you reiterate that.
Now, do you agree that faith is irrational?
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by plaetton: 2:29pm On Sep 28, 2014
logicboy01: Davidylan, you don enter "one chance" with your Phd in creationism. grin

Next time, dont parade your pseudoscientific defence of religion around atheists

Hilarious.[/size] angry[size=8pt]
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by plaetton: 2:33pm On Sep 28, 2014
Peterken05:

this is one of the reason i'm hostile to any form of religious indoctrination.

If religion can do this to a Phd holder in Microbiology, what about 3 year old child indoctrinated right from birth, what about people that read bible or quran before reading any science textbook?

And we have the likes of them in our schools, univerisities, looking at the situation, it gives me a zero-confidence anything good can come out of it.

I was arguing with a brother that studied physics in the university, i was explaining stuff about the big bang, dark universe, the cosmos to him, i was suprised when he said 'all those stuffs are not real, even quantum physics isnt real' and i was like WTF.

I use to tell people if i have my way out of this country to study overseas, I wont hesistate.

Yeah Bros.
I have a bright young niece who dropped psychology in University because she said it embarrassed her faith and made her question her beliefs.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Why Is Apostolic Faith Church So Quiet Among The Pentecostal Churches? / TB Joshua Ministries Deny 2Go Death Prophecy Rumour / Should I Give My First Salary As Firstfruits Offering?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.