Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,550 members, 7,812,758 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:47 PM

Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? (14132 Views)

To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? / Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? / Atheists In The House, What Are Your Views On Abortion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Seun(m): 10:30pm On May 21, 2006
It's not easy not to believe in God (and supernatural miracles) in Nigeria. Left, right, center, people are claiming miracles and supernatural intervention. Every Nigerian - politicians, businessmen, educators, beggars, and criminals inclusive - believes in the miracle working God, the devil, demons, witches, wizards, and 'spiritual attacks'!

Is there someone else on Nairaland who lives in Nigeria and does not believe in God? How do you manage to hold on to your unbelief in the midst of all these dogmatic believers? Whew, isn't this country too hot?!

- a concerned Nigerian unbeliever.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by nemesisrev: 12:48am On May 22, 2006
****hiss*** exit
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by DaHitler(m): 12:52am On May 22, 2006
I pretend to be a believer when I am around the sisters and brothers of my parents. Yeah, its definately not easy. I figure its a lot easier to fake faith, than to explain lack of faith.

Most of my direct-family just disregard any skeptical thing I say about the existence of god as fooling around. embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Seun(m): 7:13am On May 22, 2006
What about the miracles that are 'happening' left, right and center with all the eyewitness testimony?
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by mlksbaby(f): 7:28am On May 22, 2006
Did you ask about skeptics and atheists in Nigeria or abroad (like in NY)?
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by kenshin(m): 10:55am On May 22, 2006
Only fools deny proofs, You looking for proof? go and ask the woman who had HIV for 3 years and got healed and try to convince her God is not real.

2 Likes

Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Mongue(m): 12:42pm On May 22, 2006
I enjoy telling people straight up that I have absolutely no belief. They will always try and convince you that you are heading down the wrong path and you should go with them to their church but by the end of the debate they have no shred of evidence except their faith!

I like to ask Nigerian Christians why God decided that they were going to be one of the last bunch to hear about him. Bit unfair that they were left not knowing anything till a bunch of British Victorian missionaries came along!

I was very amused to see a poll on satellite TV this morning which was asking the UK public if they cared what the church told them, 65% were saying they weren't interested!

4 Likes

Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by retro(f): 6:03pm On May 22, 2006
I don't live in Nigeria. People around me know I'm Agnostic. I don't hide it especially from muslims considering the fact that they are really attached to faith and all those things.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by DaHitler(m): 6:07pm On May 22, 2006
mlks_baby, I am in Nigeria for part of the year, so my comments on the issue are valid. cool
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by DaHitler(m): 6:18pm On May 22, 2006
Kenshin, I hope you are not expecting me to buy the lie about people being cured of HIV by God. If it is true, you should be able to recreate your claims. Anyone can make up all sorts of stories but that still does not make it true. Provide proof, and no, going to ask some lady with a questionable past how she supposedly got cured of HIV is not going to cut it.

1 Like

Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by mlksbaby(f): 11:44am On May 23, 2006
Afeni:

mlks_baby, I am in Nigeria for part of the year, so my comments on the issue are valid. cool

I didn't sound like you're denied your citizenship, true?

Afeni:

Provide proof, and no, going to ask some lady with a questionable past how she supposedly got cured of HIV is not going to cut it.

Those who want proof are the ones creating conditions not to examine the claims. Sitting down comfy in a spot is not going to help - go there and see for yourself. Perhaps we might learn a thing or two if evidence can be given by the skeptic who takes the trouble to go to the woman to verify if she had a questionable past.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by kenshin(m): 12:18pm On May 23, 2006
mlks_baby:

Perhaps we might learn a thing or two if evidence can be given by the skeptic who takes the trouble to go to the woman to verify if she had a questionable past.

Precisely, We can't stand afar and blast miracles as being false.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by exu(m): 12:23pm On May 23, 2006
Precisely, We can't stand afar and blast miracles as being false.

I guess it's better to stand afar and accept every rumour as the truth.

4 Likes

Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by sexynes(f): 8:07am On May 25, 2006
For one thing, I used to be an atheist but the fact still remains that there things out there that cannot be explained through science and logic alone. Most people who claim to be atheistic think there is no God because they believe they know too much. I am also speaking of myself here. The thing is that no matter how much you want to deny the existence of God, there will always be something at the back of your mind making you wonder if you are not wrong.

7 Likes

Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Reverend(m): 8:35am On May 25, 2006
@ Sexyness

A few hundred years ago, man thought that the World was flat and that if you sailed far enough you would fall off the edge!

There are and there always will be things that we do not fully understand.

It is only our minds and understanding that have yet to develop before we realize that what is a strange phenomena today, will have a perfectly simple scientific explanation tomorrow.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Rhodalyn(f): 8:39am On May 25, 2006
whats going on here worm?? kiss
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by goodguy(m): 2:30pm On May 27, 2006
I was seriously ill about 2 - 3 months ago. I was taken to the hospital and given some drugs, hoping that would do. Eventually, my condition grew worse. I was then taken to the hospital some days later (that same week) when my folks saw that my temperature was abnormally high, and I was unusally weak also. I underwent intensive care and treatment while at the hospital, with drips being passed into my veins for 8 solid hours. I was discharged and given some drugs again, but all proved abortive. There were still no improvements. The only option left was to be taken to church, and to my greatest surprise and expectation, immediately I was prayed for and took my bath with a specially (spiritually) prepared water at the church bathroom, every forms of weaknesses, headaches, high temperature just left immediately. (It was not that I hadn't been taking my bath before. As a matter of fact, I took my bath and slept for about an hour or two before I was taken to church that day; because when I even woke up, I was still so weak and my temperature was so high). I couldnt talk to anyone before, but I started smiling and even chatted with a few friends before I left church that afternoon. Looking at the state I was in when I was brought to the church, one would think I was going to collapse.

The whole thing was like magic to me, but God did it. It is only me who knows how I felt within me that day, so no matter what anyone here says to discredit my post, that's his/her problem.

Now, who will convince me that God doesn't exist?

3 Likes

Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by exu(m): 4:26pm On May 27, 2006
One day a young, recently married man awoke in the middle feeling mischevious. That evening the young man had consumed copious amounts of the finest Scotch whiskey but had sensibly gone to bed on feeling the effects of the alcohol- the tightening grasp the drink was having on his person. Apparently only he was aware of his inner state as he left the main dining room in which the other guest were situated and left for his first floor bedroom.

On arrival in his room he happened upon his hosts pet cat. Now the young man was allergic to cats but was also partially afraid. Cats had been a bane on his life since the childhood he spent with his animal loving mother.

And on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on.

See Goodguy- you're not the only who can tell (a pointless) story.

If everyone in the world tried to push their agenda with the amount of evidence that you so willingly provide then the whole world would like East Timor.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by goodguy(m): 4:36pm On May 27, 2006
Wow, I can see my post is now on the home page. I wonder what he's up to. grin

exu:

See Goodguy- you're not the only who can tell (a pointless) story.

I didn't bother to go through your post. Only this line caught my attention while scrolling down.

Call it pointless, call it whatever you like. Your belief or disbelief does not affect or change the veracity of MY story in any way.

BTW, while I narrated what happened to me, you narrated a story about a young man. As you admitted, yours is really pointless. I don't even understand what you typed up there. You really don't have to make a fool of yourself because you want to discredit my story.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by exu(m): 4:50pm On May 27, 2006
Did I mention the guy died of of AIDS?
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by sexynes(f): 9:12pm On May 27, 2006
@Reverend
I seriously doubt that. Do you believe that there are things that were mysteries back then that are still mysteries now. The truth is that, like you said, the human mind is still very limited in it's understanding and I believe that people create the idea of a Godless world because they are unable to understand a world with God. The truth lies in what we do not understand
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by goodguy(m): 9:39pm On May 27, 2006
sexy_nes:

people create the idea of a Godless world because they are unable to understand a world with God. The truth lies in what we do not understand

This actually makes a lot of sense. Atheists, look into this!

However, the sad truth is that these atheists have forced themselves not to believe in God, even when they're so close to knowing the truth.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Rottweiler(m): 10:58pm On May 27, 2006
Those who claim that there is no God are only deceiving themselves. Pure and simple. They mislead others that are young and weak at heart into believing there is no God but they constantly battle with their conscience over the truth. People like the late Tai Solarin. Most of them beg God for forgiveness, if they ever have the opportunity, at their dying moment. Keep on fooling yourselves!
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by mrmayor(m): 7:54pm On May 28, 2006
TO BE NIGERIAN WITHOUT ANY STRONG CONVICTIONS ABOUT RELIGION BE IT CHRISTIANITY,ISLAM EVEN BABALAWO AND WITCHES IS
LIKE BEING WORSE THAN BEING BIN LADEN.
I DO BELIEVE IN GOD BUT NOT IN DIVINE INTERVENTION,I'VE ALWAYS  WONDERED WHY CLAIMS OF CURE OF AIDS IS ALWAYS FROM THIRD WORLD
COUNTRIES LIKE NIGERIA AND ALWAYS FROM CUSTOMERS OF MADE IN NIGERIA CHURCHES
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by exu(m): 7:58pm On May 28, 2006
What's this nonsense about people forcing themselves to not believe in God.

If you can't see something and you can't hear something then it's only logical to conclude that it isn't there.

1 Like

Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Oracle(m): 11:35pm On May 28, 2006
I don't get it Exu
are you also of the opinion that there's no God?
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by sexynes(f): 9:01am On May 29, 2006
@exu, you do not see air and you do not hear the air unless a force causes it to move but yet you believe it's there because you breathe it everyday. It is the same with people that have the conviction that there is a God. I live God everyday and I feel his force in my everyday life, so please tell me, why won't I believe that there is a God?
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by layi(m): 10:48am On May 29, 2006
exu:

What's this nonsense about people forcing themselves to not believe in God.

If you can't see something and you can't hear something then it's only logical to conclude that it isn't there.

Back to th old analogy. Can you see or hear the air around you? Ok u can feel it. Fine that simply means there are several ways of perception that goes beyond the 5 senses. God is real and you know it. Look within.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Seun(m): 11:11am On May 29, 2006
Hehe. Actually, layi, there is a sixth sense and it is called reason. Reason is the faculty that analyses information from the five senses - sight, hearing, touch, smell, taste - and draws conclusions about the true nature of the world. And there is a seventh sense and it is called imagination. This is how people experience God! cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by KAG: 12:24pm On May 29, 2006
layi:

Back to th old analogy. Can you see or hear the air around you?

Yes

Ok u can feel it. Fine that simply means there are several ways of perception that goes beyond the 5 senses. God is real and you know it. Look within.

God isn't real and you know it. Look within. tongue

mrmayor:

TO BE NIGERIAN WITHOUT ANY STRONG CONVICTIONS ABOUT RELIGION BE IT CHRISTIANITY,ISLAM EVEN BABALAWO AND WITCHES IS
LIKE BEING WORSE THAN BEING BIN LADEN.

Lacking a belief in the supernatural, and thereby fashioning a moral code based on the natural, that takes the teachings of love into consideration, makes you definitely worse than a guy that has alledgedly masterminded the murder of thousands. Yeah, I can see how you would think that.

Rottweiler:

Those who claim that there is no God are only deceiving themselves. Pure and simple. They mislead others that are young and weak at heart into believing there is no God but they constantly battle with their conscience over the truth. People like the late Tai Solarin. Most of them beg God for forgiveness, if they ever have the opportunity, at their dying moment. Keep on fooling yourselves!

Those who claim there is a God are only deceiving themselves. Pure and simple (just ask "Hear'say"wink. They mislead others that are young and weak at heart into believing there is a God, but they constantly battle with their conscience over the truth. People like the late Henry Morris. Most of them renounce God when they have the opportunity, at their dying moment. Keep on fooling yourself.

By the way, the "no atheist in a foxhole" rubbish, is both insulting and stupid to boot.

1 Like

Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Rottweiler(m): 8:34pm On May 29, 2006
@ KAG
I guess KAG means Keenly Against God. I don't want to join issues with you because I know your type. You are spiritually rebellious. All you do is misinterpret what is existing.

People like you follow Guru Maharaji, Olumba Olumba Olumba (OOO), Eckankar, etc. Sects that are like rudderless ships on the high sea. Just a few days back, Guru Maharaji, the so-called perfect master confirm to the whole world that he is the chief patron of OGBONI confraternity in Nigeria. A lot of his followers were dumbfounded!

My friend, were you born this way or you were unfortunate to have been brainwashed by association. I guess you are the perfect master of your cult grin
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by KAG: 10:11pm On May 29, 2006
Rottweiler:

@ KAG
I guess KAG means Keenly Against God. I don't want to join issues with you because I know your type.

I sincerely doubt you know my "type", and it's a tad hard being against any God.

You are spiritually rebellious. All you do is misinterpret what is existing.

Spiritually rebellious? Misinterpret what is existing? Some examples would probably help.

People like you follow Guru Maharaji, Olumba Olumba Olumba (OOO), Eckankar, etc.

Should I know them?

Sects that are like rudderless ships on the high sea.

Like the Christian sect? tongue

Just a few days back, Guru Maharaji, the so-called perfect master confirm to the whole world that he is the chief patron of OGBONI confraternity in Nigeria. A lot of his followers were dumbfounded!

Alritey then? What am I supposed to do with any of that?

My friend, were you born this way or you were unfortunate to have been brainwashed by association. I guess you are the perfect master of your cult grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I am not your friend, pretty sure I'm not brainwashed (if I was I wouldn't know anyway - just like you don't know you are cheesy), and I don't have a cult.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

T.B Joshua Predicted The Nigeria Floods / Why Do Sinners Immediately Go To Hell, But Satan And Demons Are Not There Yet ? / British Agency Clears WINNERS CHAPEL Of N3.4bn Allegation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.