Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,988 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:08 AM

Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) - Literature (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) (16864 Views)

My Last Day In School (complete story) / Nairaland E-workshop And Nairaland Writers Award: How Do We Improve? / Nairaland E-workshop For Writers---Comment Thread--Day1(Sept30) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by OMA4U(m): 6:00pm On Oct 03, 2014
Whao! Whao! Whao! Wonderful jobs from you all
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 6:05pm On Oct 03, 2014
folake25: waoh kudos to all of you. you are really doing a great work. i havent written before but i think i would start. white mosquitoe i am ur newest fan.
Wow... That make sense..
Welcome to the house..
I hope to see your story soon

1 Like

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 12:12pm On Oct 04, 2014
Welcome to the second to last day.
I want to thank God for the opportunity that every one of us have had to read this and be a part.
Moreso, I want to thank all facilitators that had been of help for the past four days

Today,
DAY5
Introduction- 12:00-12:20
12:21-12:30- Poem/Short stories
12:31- 1:20- WRITING POEM FOR READERS--TIMPAKER : Followed by questions and answers at the comment thread
1:21-2:10- WRITING STORIES FOR READERS--DORISBEST....Followed by Q and A section @ The comment thread.
2:11-3:00- -USING FAMILIAR TERMS AND WORDS IN WRITING- KAYEMJAY---followed by Q and A section
3:01-3:50 - ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT POEM COLLABORATIONS--- OMA4U---followed by question and answer @ the comment thread.
3:51-4:00- Short story/Poem
4:01- 4:50---ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT STORIES COLLABORATION--DYGEASY--followed by Q and A @ comment thread.
4:51-5:50-A DISCIPLINED WRITER--- RAPMIKE.... Followed by Q and A @ comment thread.
5:51-6:00- short story/Poem.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by timpaker(m): 12:46pm On Oct 04, 2014
Good afternoon everyone...

Typing....
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by timpaker(m): 12:49pm On Oct 04, 2014
A Poem according to Encarta dictionary is a complete and self-contained piece of writing in verse that is set out in lines of a set length and uses rhythm, imagery, and often rhyme to achieve its effect.

The aim of every poet is to be able to use words to communicate his thought using various figures of speech and poetic element [/b]to his audience/reader. A poet also aims at eliciting exposition that is meant to give a detailed description or discussion of a thought, experience and occurrence.

Contemporary poems have been observed to invite or evoke an emotional response. They have a distinct tone or mood that may change as the ideation of the poem progresses. Eg.

[b]“The silent bells of Christmas
Heard as folly jingles for merriment
To the rich and pocket of carcass
For the bereft who’s persiflage underwent
The season of regret for letting 12 days hard work plummet”

The above poem evokes to the reader the meaning and emotion in a subtle, figurative way, and also expose and describe an image, idea or moment/situation more directly and literally communicating its meaning (which describes someone who suddenly realizes that he’s not ready for Christmas because of financial constraints).

In crafting poems, poems stir up and bare the meaning of its lines in different poetic elements like Emotion, Music, Imaginary, form and journey etc.

For the sake of some people here, I’m going to take them one after the other with brief explanations.

Emotion: This is aimed at evoking emotional response to the reader. They have a distinct tone or mood that may change as the ideation of the poem progresses. In this poem, the reader is forced to identify with the poets satirical/sarcastic, irony, sardonic, mournful, tragic, ominous, uplifting and witty state. Example of this such poem can be found at Amiablejay’s poem at https://www.nairaland.com/1219890/one-poem-road/7#26674879

Music: In this poetic element, poet uses words that are pleasing to hear.in order to spice it up and captivate the reader, poet interposes words to music though the use of end rhymes, alliterations, assonance, repetitions, caesura onomatopoeia etc.
A brief example is Mode 9’s diss line

“Here's the sweetest part, this baba that baba/
You not the father/
You got intellect myopia
So when I diss a baba (Addis Ababa)
Its not Ethiopia”

Line 1 & 2 have the same rhyme (end rhyme) and meter i.e. the pattern of rhythm
Line 4 compliments line 5 for onomatopoeia i.e. the imitation of words associated with something.

Imaginary: Now, this is where the poet implores his/her skill. The poet’s imagination is his wings. He can decide to be ‘invincible’ when describing scenes or objects in abstractness with just witty words. He can create word pictures in the mind of the reader or listener by means of precise, unique, imaginative vocabulary, interesting words combinations etc. In fact, permit me to say that a poet’s imagination is his/her greatest tool! With an imaginary skill, a poet can murder his thoughts on paper using a pen. cheesy

In this element, he/she juxtaposes and uses figurative languages like:

Symbolism - When something represents something other than itself
In the below poem, “metallic insects..” was used to describe tankers and trailers on a traffic jammed road, the lampyridae, as an insect that produces light from its belly, represents the vehicles headlamps at night (I wish I could get the local name).

“Their honks were like buzzes
From a desperate housefly;
Streams of smoke blurred the air
As the metallic insects cued up
On the road beaming the light of the night
Like a trapped lampyridae in a race-field”

Word play (Pun) – to play with words “He sheath and pavilioned his bravery…scared to confront confronting confrontations” or “…fly and fly, fly from fright.. fly above the sky…fly for freedom”

Metaphor - The comparison of two different things without using the words like or as (line 1 and 2 of the above poem)

Metaphors invite reader inference and active participation in the rendering of the
comparison, whereas a simile is a more direct, straightforward comparison.
Simile - The comparison between two different things using the words like or as
Hyperbole - exaggeration for dramatic effect
Understatement - purposefully downplaying a situation, event, or impact
Personification - giving inanimate objects life-like characteristics

1 Like

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Dygeasy(m): 1:02pm On Oct 04, 2014
Divepen why did you reschedule me? I was supposed to post tomorrow.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by timpaker(m): 1:04pm On Oct 04, 2014
Writing poems for reader involves a poet bn able to communicate or think in line with the reader. It does not involve the 'showing off' of the use of vocabs as most writers do or to write a 6 page epistle. Nah! (imagine stressing your reader with big big grammars).

While writing a poem for reader, the poet’s poem should be aimed at communicating clarity, complexity and astonishment as a by-product of the effectiveness of the music, emotion, imagery, journey, and form inherent in the poem:

Clarity - The purpose of all writing is to communicate effectively. Poets are said to say the most they can in the fewest of words possible. Many books and movies have been summarized with just a page of poem. A poem written in clarity is often appreciated rationally in a way that the reader easily gets the idea or essence of the poem without interpretation. Such form of poems are Narrative and lyrically written.

Translucent - Poems that are translucent are interpreted more figuratively than literally. In translucent poems, there is an infusion of symbolism, metaphor, and personification. The reader must be more reflective, intuitive, imaginative, and thoughtful to ascertain the poem's deeper meaning. The so-called free verse form is translucent in nature. Sometimes the beginning of a poem seems clear, and then a poem moves into an area of white space or translucence - and then the poem ends leaving the reader with something to savor, re-visit, or think about.
White space, or areas in a poem that invite reader participation in ascertaining the poem's essence or vision, allow great variation in interpretation. These poems tend towards intuition, and move a bit away from the rational. Most well-remembered poems are translucent in nature at some point in the poem. Eg. “The Second Coming” even my Nairaland poem “The Seductress is Hapless”.
"Oh Madina! come live in my gallery of thought" cool

Opaque - Opaque poems are written with such a sense of mystery, free association of thought, or private myth-making and symbolism that sometimes even the most astute readers have difficulty "taking in" the poem rationally.
The beauty of these poems, or poetic lines, lies in the realm of the imaginative, the intuitive, the metaphysical. Stream of consciousness poems are in this category. Sometimes poems or poetic lines are best appreciated for the stream of ideas and the sound combinations rather than for the reader to come away with a logical, coherent, rational meaning. Carried to extremes, the reader may leave the poem feeling isolated from the poem's "meaning" and intent.

Complexity
Great poems are richly layered and evoke a myriad of thoughts, feelings, and responses. (Please refer to the explanation on transparent, translucent, and opaque.)
Great poems invite the reader to enter into the poem and to add their own life experiences and imagination to the interpretation of the poem.
Great poems are literal and figurative, real and surreal, grounded in the every day, and yet through metaphor and symbolism they transcend into areas of thoughtfulness
and contemplation.
Great poems have Implicative Lacunae - a Greek term meaning to have multiple layers of reception and perception. In other words, the best poems are multi-layered and can be perceived and received by readers in a variety of ways to offer many different interpretations and emotional and intellectual responses.

Astonishment
Beautiful poems often have a surprising turn, a hinge moment, or a volta where the poem takes a new direction, challenges the reader's expectations, or leads the reader into the realm of mystery or white space where the literal gives way to the figurative.
Beautiful poems have one or more "meta" moments, or places where the poem leaves the earth and enters into a higher plane of thoughtfulness or appreciation, again where the literal gives way to the figurative.
Beautiful poems make use of the notion of caesura or dramatic pause, often by means of a stanza or line break. These dramatic moments allow the reader to experience the full power, intensity, or intention of a single word, or an entire line or stanza of the
poem.
Great poems make good use of the liminal line - The term liminal means threshold. The end of every line of verse is pregnant with possibility. There is drama, or some type of anticipation that builds at the end of every line of verse. A poem with effective line breaks adds complexity to a poem, and offers an almost intuitive level of appreciation to the poem.
Great poems generate astonishment. Astonishment often comes through irony, dramatic moments, humor, or suspense. Often the juxtaposition of imagery, the push and pull of line breaks, unique word choice, or the beauty of the poem's lines adds to a poem's astonishment. Example of such poem is Oma4u’s piece “In My Home”.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by timpaker(m): 1:30pm On Oct 04, 2014
Forms of Poetry cheesy: Okay, I'm writing this because of Oma4u and Princesa.

According to Wikipedia, poetry forms refers to various sets of”rules” followed by poems of certain types. The rules may describe such aspects as the rhythm or meter of the poem, its rhyme scheme, or its use of alliteration. It helps give a physical structure of a poem through word and syllable count, length of the lines, repetitive rhymes that shapes into pattern, especially a familiar one. It also disciplines the poet by making him/her write in line with the stated rules.

Uses of poetry forms:
1. It helps simplify the poem
2. It help guides the writer through word/rhyme discipline eg. the sonnet, haiku et al
3. It helps explores the poets skills
4. It helps interpret a poem (to the a reader)
5. It helps describe the intent of the poet etc.

Accordingly, poetry remains distinguished from prose by its form; some regard for basic formal structures of poetry will be found in even the best free verse, however much such structures may appear to have been ignored. Among major structural elements used in poetry are the line, the stanza or verse paragraph, and larger combinations of stanzas or lines such as cantos. Also sometimes used are broader visual presentations of words and calligraphy. These basic units of poetic form are often combined into larger structures, called poetic forms or poetic modes, as in the sonnet or haiku.

eg. Haiku, a Japanese three-line poem, consisting of seventeen syllables split 5 - 7 - 5 is a serious poem written on serious topic or issue (but today haiku has been defiled by most poets angry). For correctional purpose, there is a poetry form known as Senryu. It is similar to haiku in structure, however, senryû tend to be about human foibles while haiku tend to be about nature, and senryû are often cynical or darkly humorous and satiric while haiku are serious.

Free Verse: This is the most common form of poetry used by contemporary poets. What free verse claims to be free from is the constraints of regular metre and fixed forms. This makes the poem free to find its own shape according to what the poet - or the poem - wants to say, but still allows him or her to use rhyme, alliteration, rhythms or cadences (etc) to achieve the effects that s/he feels are appropriate. There is an implicit constraint, however, to resist a regular metre in free verse - a run of a regular metre will stand out awkwardly in an otherwise free poem. Princesa and others love this particular poetry form. grin So when next someone inquires from you about free verse just say " I like to eat my rice without cutleries" grin

Meter: The measured arrangement of words in poetry, as by accentual rhythm, syllabic quantity, or the number of syllables in a line. The definitive pattern established for a verse (such as iambic pentameter).

Iambic pentameter: is a commonly used type of metrical line in traditional poetry and verse drama. The term describes the rhythm that the words establish in that line, which is measured in small groups of syllables called "feet". The word "iambic" refers to the type of foot that is used, known as the iamb, which in English is an unstressed syllable followed by a stressed syllable. The word "pentameter" indicates that a line has five of these "feet".

Iamb: A foot consisting of two syllables where the first is short or unstressed and the second is long or stressed e.g. as in 'beSIDE'

For other terms and forms of poetry please visit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_poetry_terms

I could go on and on and on but .........

Cheers!
Now, questions please?

www.wikepedia.com
www.poetryarchive.org
"A poet's aid" by Fowobaje E. A.
Lecture note from Abubakar Gimba
The poem as craft by Hambrick W.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by rapmike(m): 1:32pm On Oct 04, 2014
I won't be able to make it for 5.30pm, but I will send my work to divepen via pm message, I hope he will be able to post it on Nairaland.

Conversely, i will use my diary 'Seeing things' to paste my write-up.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by OMA4U(m): 1:52pm On Oct 04, 2014
Timpaker! Nice one. Let me read it over again for full ingestion and digestion. Awaiting the forms of poetry.

Thanks for hearkening to our voices and making reference to 'In My home' .
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by rapmike(m): 2:00pm On Oct 04, 2014
Where is Divepen? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by OMA4U(m): 3:02pm On Oct 04, 2014
I guess it's time.
Timpaker, thanks once again.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by OMA4U(m): 3:12pm On Oct 04, 2014
ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT POETRY COLLABORATION

It is a thing of honour to be part of this writing workshop in which I am so elated. I thank God for this day and every blessed day He has bestowed on us. I also thank Divepen, the mastermind of this citadel of learning about writing and every writer and reader who has been part of this since its commencement.
I have learnt a lot since the beginning of this programme and it has contributed immensely to my or our approach to writing poems and stories. I want to show my profound recognition and gratitude to our Super writers, Larrysun, Ishilove, whitemosquito, mazionumeko, repogirl, princesa, kayemjay, humblebygrace, mynd44, frank316, redmosquito, audreytimms, prettyspicey, royver, noble4d, cuddlemii, timpaker, sammyhoe,temitopedaniel, to name but few in no particular order.

In the best of collaborative poems, the literary kinship between poets come through, making the poem better because it is the work of two or more people.
Poetry is a literary work in which the expression of feelings and ideas is given intensity by the use of distinctive style and rhythm and literary devices and collaboration is the act of working together with one or more people in order to achieve something.

Wikipedia states collaborative poetry as an alternative and creative technique for writing poetry by more than one person. The principal aim of collaborative poetry is to create poems with multiple collaborations from various poets.

Poets practise the loneliest art. A poem begins in solitude and silence for mind to wander through forest and ocean, home and abroad, for imaginations to run as wild as possible. Revision after revision, a poem grows out of lines, phrases, even stanzas drop away as the poem achieves its final shape - which may have little or nothing to do with its initial inspiration. This isolation experienced by a poet can be mitigated and subdued by collaborating with other poets to create the most effective and vivacious means of delivering their verses amidst the euphoria of accomplishment.
Collaboration seems to go against the solitude and introversion of the creative process. The great satisfaction in publishing collaborative poems with other poets in a perfect work of literary art is immeasurable, just like the depth of an ocean.
It is easier to collaborate than to write on your own, because it resurrects new ideas and spurs a poet into action. There are lot of things poets can talk about and it is more fun writing collaborative poem. it's something poets can do continually throughout the day, sending back and forth, verse to verse, and without talking about the poem directly, the poets keep going. Then the day just get way more interesting. There may be no plan on what next, the poets involved keep going.

It is so great and motivating, poetry is always an intimate experience. Deep emotions run through the poets and in between their poetic lines. There are sometimes I will need to cry and ruminate deeply so as to elude my room-ic (happy) mood and I will be able to scribble down a sad poem such as death, desolation, slavery, etc. A poet needs to wear the shoes of his poems' characters.
Collaboration isn't possible without the willingness of those involved to sacrifice their ego and give in to the possibilities of what happens when you let another person's poem-heart leads yours.

A collaborative poetry has the ability to change an average or avid reader of poems who never puts pen to paper to a prolific writer of poems. That is, he may find his poetic blood through transfusion from another poet in a collaborative poem. He will have access to diction and style of the poet and in turn, they live inside him and will be born as beautiful poems.
Collaborative poets give themselves over to their poems and those poems belong to themselves and the world. There will no longer be, "the poem is written by me or by him" but the poem is written by a voice with various style and dictions.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by OMA4U(m): 3:15pm On Oct 04, 2014
BRIEF HISTORICAL EVIDENCE OF COLLABORATIVE POETRY

Examples of collaborative poetry abound in Japanese poetry long time ago and in recent times, one of the most famous examples is the poem collection by French poets Andre Breton, Paul Eluard and Rene Char. The poems were written collaboratively over the course of five days in 1930.

Most recent collaborative poetry include the collaborative works of American poets Denise Duhamel and Maureen Seaton, who have been writing poetry together for 15 years and have published three collaborative books. Duhamel described this collaboration saying, "Something magical happens when we write - we find this third voice, someone who is neither Maureen nor I, and our ego sort of fades into the background - The poem matters, not either of us."

METHODS OF WRITING COLLABORATIVE POETRY
Collaborative poetry is not limited to verses by verses among poets, but also extends to other artists and performers - spoken word poets, musicians, even sculptors. Poetry as an art is entwined with other forms of art such as artwork, music. Words of a poet may be carved laboriously by hand into stone or iron and can be read quickly by passing strangers who has the inkling of deciphering what it depicts. Likewise, an artwork can be translated into words by a poet. I have done this over time by seeing beyond what a mere art work means. You will find some poets accompanying their poems with artwork (pictures).

In 1940, American poet Charles Henry invented what he called "The Chain Poem" where each poet writes a line and then forwards the poems to another poet across the world.

Another recent experiment in collaborative poetry writing is TAPESTRY POETRY, developed by Avril Meallem, a poet living in Israel and Shernaz Wadia, a poet living in India. Together, via email, they formulated the following guidelines for this innovative genre of collaborative poetry writing. Each poet composes a poem on a title chose by one of them and without any discussion as to the theme of the poem. The poems are exchanged and then have to be woven into one seamless, flowing piece that can stand on its own. Being a collaborative effort the editing becomes a to and fro process until both writers are satisfied with the resulting 'TAPESTRY'.

The basic rules are: Each individual poem has to be of 9 lines. Only the person who gives the title has the right of actually using it in the poem. This is to avoid repetition. The majority of words of the original poems should be kept, but grammatical changes allowed. e.g. singular to plural, verb tenses, adjectives and adverbs can be replaced with other more befitting the Tapestry, but retaining the original flavour. All 9 lines of each poem are to be used in the Tapestry, which effectively makes the Tapestry an 18-line poem.

The spirit of collaboration needs to be ubiquitous among contemporary poets. It gives life to poems, hope, willingness and the undying flame of poetry burning in the bowel of the poet. If you aren't writing collaborative poem, I encourage you to try. The fun is like sipping a cup of sweet caramel, it will leave you wanting more. Grab your co-collaborator's hand and get ready to go into weird uncomfortable amazing poetry depth. There is light down there. Summon courage, pack some snacks, and poem your paper off.

Thank you
OMA

1 Like

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by domido(m): 6:44pm On Oct 04, 2014
Nigerians are great people.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by rapmike(m): 7:20pm On Oct 04, 2014
Since Divepen is not around for reasons best known to him, I will drop my lesson.

Sorry for the delay.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by rapmike(m): 7:20pm On Oct 04, 2014
The Disciplined writer.

As I have once said, I was a bit overwhelmed at the task of writing on discipline. Why? because discipline is one of the most difficult aspect of a writer's life. The ability to write even when you have no muse, to be strongly consistent no matter what happens seems to be something made of Fantasy. Yet, it is possible to be a disciplined writer.

For those who love definitions, A disciplined writer is a writer who is consistent in producing a certain quality or articles, notes, journals, stories novels, e.t.c within certain phases of time. That is he/she does not fail to update his or her blog/story at certain periods of time. For example, someone who consistently updates his blog with the same quality per day can be said to be disciplined, even if the quality is quite low.

Now to the main issue. What does it take to be a disciplined writer? Its not about waiting for muses or inspirations, for those are not consistent in themselves. it requires:
1.It Requires a Stillness
To write daily, you have to find a moment of stillness where you can put down your thoughts. Parents know that this is difficult. Busy people know that it’s difficult. And yet, there are ways to find stillness. We simply must build the desire to find that time into our daily habits. Never look for a time that’s ideal. Look for the time you can grab. Right now, I’m doing this post in the morning before the kids are awake. I sometimes sneak time at night. Other times, I can write in between projects at work. I hunt for the stillness.

Simply put, Ideal timing is a scam when its comes to discipline. You just have to find a way to make out time to put something down daily.
2.It Requires a Practice Mind
Some writers are afraid that their output won’t be good. If you can accept that you’re write daily, and frequently, then you’ll know that you’re practicing. Runners know this. They have bad runs and they have great runs, and along the way these add up to improvements in their personal records. My friend, Laura in Altanta, contacts me once every week or two to let me know she’s pushed past another personal record in her running. She also tells me when she’s had a bad series of runs in a row. It’s all part of it.

The same is true with writing. Not everything I write is my best work. But I release it when it seems done, and I try again for the next piece. By the way, what I think of my writing is rarely what you think. The pieces I hate, or the pieces that come out really fast and seem obvious are the ones you praise. The ones I work hard on, I get a few comments and they float under the bridge.
Despite the fact that I mentioned quality does not mean that every post has to be your best, that's not realistic. The fact is that the quality has a range ( it cannot be worse than this or better than that) . That's what I mean.
3.Writing Daily Requires a Curiosity
I write all the time, every day. The thing is, I write quite often in my head, and only sometimes into a keyboard or onto paper. That’s how it is when you’re a writer. You’re talking to a friend and they say something with an interesting turn of phrase, and you forget everything else they’re saying. You hear one thing though someone said something else and it sets you off down the rabbit hole. Alice, of Wonderland fame, was curious. There would be no book were she not such a nosy investigator of things that weren’t her business.
Simply be open-minded and curious.
4.Writing Daily Requires Framing
Things go so much better when you have a writing frame of some kind. That way, you know the rough shape of what you’re going to produce. If you’re writing fiction, you know to keep the plot and the characters moving along. If you’re writing haiku, you know to keep it brief. If you’re writing couplets, well, you get the point. I can face the keyboard with confidence because I know that I’m going to produce a certain kind of piece. It will be part story, part explanation, and part instruction. It will end (hopefully) with you feeling interested in adapting and taking the idea to execute on your own.
I do that by framing.

You working on becoming a disciplined writer becomes so much easy when you have a writing frame. That is, you know where your story will start and end( even though the other parts may be a bit hazy), you know your characters before hand and you know what they do. If you are writing a journal, you have the definitions, dates, locations, e.t.c before you start a fresh blog. That's framing.

5.Writing Daily Requires a Fall-Forward Mentality
On the day you miss a post, don’t throw it all away. Just write two the next time you have a moment. Start writing in advance of the day. Start preparing for the bumps in the road. And then, you’ll have quite a lot of stretch in your world, so that you can still write daily, even when you miss a day (our little secret).
This is a bitn off my rule, but the benefit of this is that you won't miss momentum. If because you missed a day you decide to stop posting, then the purpose is defeat. Simply put, If you miss a day, just compensate the next day and so on.

6.Writing Daily Requires Confidence
Finally, accept that you’re a writer. You might not be the best writer. You’re a writer, and you’re one of us (writers). Be that. Don’t say that you’re not a writer because you haven’t written a book. I’ve met several people who aren’t writers who have written books. I have met several people who aren’t writers who have written bestsellers. You’re a writer because you write. You’re a writer when you write. Writing is a verb, the way love is a verb. If you’re not actively writing (even when we write in our head), you’re not writing. So, write.

Right?
It says it all.

Hope you have learnt from this short lesson. ask your questions, when I am chanced I will answer them.

Love you all.

Reference.
http://chrisbrogan.com/the-discipline-to-write-daily/

1 Like

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by rapmike(m): 7:21pm On Oct 04, 2014
That's all from me.

Divepen, I see you!
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by timpaker(m): 7:54pm On Oct 04, 2014
OMA4U:
Timpaker! Nice one. Let me read it over again for full ingestion and digestion. Awaiting the forms of poetry.

Thanks for hearkening to our voices and making reference to 'In My home' .
No qualms. I'm glad you liked it. But wait oooo. How come this place dry like say harmattan don show?
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 8:33pm On Oct 04, 2014
rapmike:
Since Divepen is not around for reasons best known to him, I will drop my lesson.

Sorry for the delay.

Oga no vex...
I had not being having access to good electrical supply. That is why I rush to open the thread and dissapear. I just got a chance to fully charge my phone
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by daveP(m): 12:05am On Oct 05, 2014
Repogirl erm.... Okay il say it like it should be- i love your lecture. Audreytimms was right, become a lecturer!!

smiley
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by repogirl(f): 6:43am On Oct 05, 2014
daveP:
Repogirl erm.... Okay il say it like it should be- i love your lecture. Audreytimms was right, become a lecturer!!

smiley
thanks very much, DaveP, glad it hit the right notes, dancing sekem!
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by luvmijeje(f): 10:56am On Oct 05, 2014
I came in at the Nick of time. I just finish reading Sammyhoe's teaching on branding of words and it's very illuminating.

Kudos to everybody that made this possible. In case I've any question can I still ask?
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by whitemosquito(f): 11:15am On Oct 05, 2014
Nice one, Divepen, and all contributors... It's a shame this didn't make front page, but then again, we've always known the Lit section's mod has his priorities misplaced, or has none at all sef..
There should be a season two soon.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by luvmijeje(f): 11:27am On Oct 05, 2014
Hi Texanomaly, here goes my question. In the example you gave; you,see,hue and tummy, were in bold but I still can't see the rhymes. Please do expand on it.

@AudrewytTimms, hmmmm. I never knew there were differences between telling and showing. This is one of the reasons I get easily bored when I'm writing.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by princesa(f): 1:01pm On Oct 05, 2014
Timpaker, free verse is like eating rice without cutleries indeed. And its even the sweetest, forget civility grin

Oma4u, now I get the meaning of collaborative poems, it sounds quite interesting.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 1:12pm On Oct 05, 2014
Welcome To Day and the l2 day...
We hope we've all been able to learn somethin. Even, from our comments.

Today,
Day 6
Introduction- 12:00-12:20
12:21-12:30- Poem/Short stories
12:31- 1:30- THE HARVEST OF WRITING STORIES-- LADYWRITER: Followed by questions and answers at the comment thread.
1:31-2:30- THE HARVEST OF WRITING POEMS--OMA4U..Followed by Q and A section @ The comment thread.
2:31-2:40- Short story/Poem
2:41-3:40- THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT PLOTTING--ROYVER--followed by Q and A section @ The comment thread
3:41-4:40 - POST WRITING KNOWLEDGE--LARRYSUN- followed by question and answer @ the comment thread.
4:41-4:50- Short story/Poem
4:51- 5:50---ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT STORIES COLLABORATION--DYGEASY--followed by Q and A @ comment thread.
5:51-6:00- short story/Poem
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by texanomaly(f): 1:55pm On Oct 05, 2014
luvmijeje:
Hi Texanomaly, here goes my question. In the example you gave; you,see,hue and tummy, were in bold but I still can't see the rhymes. Please do expand on it.

Every time I think of you,
My face lights up for all to see.
It turns a rosy hue
And there are butterflies in my tummy

It's an ABAB pattern.

A=you
B=see

A=hue which rhymes with you
B=tummy which rhymes with see

1 Like

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by JuanDeDios: 2:36pm On Oct 05, 2014
texanomaly:

It turns a rosy hue
It's an ABAB pattern.
A=you
B=see
How about lines/syllables? I often wonder if counting your syllables and matching one line with another is important.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by luvmijeje(f): 2:57pm On Oct 05, 2014
texanomaly:

It turns a rosy hue

It's an ABAB pattern.

A=you
B=see

Tex thanks but I still don't get the rhyme between tummy and see. Overall I do get your point
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by texanomaly(f): 3:10pm On Oct 05, 2014
JuanDeDios:

How about lines/syllables? I often wonder if counting your syllables and matching one line with another is important.

It depends on the type of poem one is writing and the knowledge one has. The examples I gave were for those who would like to start writing poetry, but don't know how.

The first poems I ever wrote were in school. Whatever was assigned, I wrote. The same with any writing. I found I liked writing. After that I would pick a style and let that guide my writing.

Back then the challenge was just knowing I could do any style I wanted. Now I think more about what I'm trying to say, "letting it out", than the style.

I changed my presentation as quickly as I could, when I discovered we were no longer using the comments thread. In the process it lost any semblance of order and sense. I apologize for that.

Here is something I failed to add.

http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/grammar-rules-and-tips/tips-on-writing-poems.html

"There are a few things to think about before you start writing your poem. The following tips on writing poems will help you get started.

Know your purpose.

Why are you writing a poem and what do you want it to do?
Pick a subject. You do not have to pick a stereotypical poetry topic such as nature, animals, love, or some sort of darker topic. Poems can be written about any topic under the sun.

Choose a pattern.

You might choose to use free verse, rhyming couplets, or an epic poetry style. It's better to let the words flow with the style, than to return later and try to fit your already-written ideas into a totally new scheme.
Avoid clichés. These are sayings that have been overused, like busy as a bee, or blind as a bat.

Use imagery.

Paint with your words and use concrete words that appeal to the senses. Abstract words can not give the reader a good picture of what you are trying to say.

Use similes and metaphors.

Similes compare two things, like “you are sweet as honey” and usually use the word “like” or “as.” Metaphors state that one thing is another thing, like “you are a pig.” Things being compared in a metaphor have at least one thing in common but are very different in other ways.

Remember that poems do not have to have rhymes or meter.

If a poem is too much like a nursery rhyme, it can distract from the poem’s purpose.

Revise your poem.

You should put it away for a day or two, then read it again and try to make it better. You may want to have a friend read it and get his opinion.

Get Creative

Now that you have some tips on writing poems, you need to get those creative juices flowing. Poets see the world in a different way. Look around and try to get a different perspective.

If you stand on your head, you will see things differently in a physical way. A poet does this figuratively by imagining what people are thinking about or why they are doing something. If a poet saw an apple, he may wonder why it is there, who put it there, what the apple is thinking, or what it will become, like applesauce or pie.

Take a walk and try to experience every physical sense: touch, smell, hearing, taste, and vision. Watch people and animals and imagine their feelings and perspectives. Get silly and make up crazy stuff. Loosen up, have fun, and start writing."

Here is a link with types and forms of poetry. Pick a few, and give it a try. I've forgotten how fun that can be. Maybe I will too.

https://www.youngwriters.co.uk/glossary-poetry-types

1 Like

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by texanomaly(f): 3:16pm On Oct 05, 2014
luvmijeje:

Tex thanks but I still don't get the rhyme between tummy and see. Overall I do get your point

If you don't s ee that tumm y has the same ending sound as "see", I can't help you anymore.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Onging Stories Collection Of Clustergist.com / The Girl Next Door / Local Champion.... Tale Of A House Boy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.