Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,091 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:13 AM

Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) (16857 Views)

My Last Day In School (complete story) / Nairaland E-workshop And Nairaland Writers Award: How Do We Improve? / Nairaland E-workshop For Writers---Comment Thread--Day1(Sept30) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by TiffanyJ(f): 5:35pm On Sep 30, 2014
LarrySun: Lol! Games? Seriously?
like seriously my brother. I missed it last week and our commandant nearly had my neck, missing sports this week is not an option
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by PrettySpicey(f): 5:37pm On Sep 30, 2014
ELEMENTS OF A GOOD PLOT

In my opinion, before discussing the elements of a Plot, we have to first understand the meaning of a Plot.

WHAT IS A PLOT?

PLOT is a literary term used to describe the events that make up a story or the main part of a story. These events relate to each other in a pattern or sequence. The structure of a novel depends on the organisation of events in the plot of the story.

Plot is known as the foundation of a novel or a story which the characters and settings are built around. A Plot is meant to organise information and events in a logical manner.

Simply put a Plot is a summary of a story, composed of casual events, which highlights all important points and line of a story, therefore providing a more complete picture of how a fleshed-out story works by a logical skeleton.

In Fiction writing, a Plot is same as a storyline.

ELEMENTS OF A PLOT

In my course of study, I discovered that there are several elements of a Plot. But for the purposes of this seminar we will only be discussing the five most important elements.

1. EXPOSITION

The exposition or introduction is known as the beginning of the story where characters and settings are established.
The setting includes two parts — the WHERE and the WHEN.

The tone of the of the story is also established at this point. The conflict or story’s main problem is also introduced.

The writer introduces the protagonists or main characters of the story and establishes their personalities.

2. RISING ACTION

The rising action occurs when a series of event build up to conflict. The main characters are established by the time the rising action of a Plot occurs and at the same time, events begin to get complicated.

It is during this part of the story that excitement, tension, or crisis is encountered.

Rising action helps the writer to reveal the conflict of a character both to his/her readers and to the character himself or other characters. The rising action also shows the progress of the story.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 5:41pm On Sep 30, 2014
TiffanyJ:
like seriously my brother. I missed it last week and our commandant nearly had my neck, missing sports this week is not an option
Will you take Noble4d's Place tomorrow
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by PrettySpicey(f): 5:48pm On Sep 30, 2014
3. CLIMAX

Climax is the part of the story where something big happens. It is the turning point of the Plot. The climax is also known as the main plot of the story. It is usually not long. But it is that moment of highest interest and emotion.

The reader is put on edge by the intensity of the climax and wonders what will happen next.

In Romance Novels, this is where the heroine may turn down the hopeful lover/hero. While in Action Thrillers, the protagonist may at this point be surrounded by enemies with no hope of escape.

4. FALLING ACTION

This is the winding up of the story. The writer begins to resolve events and complications and the results of actions of main characters are put forward.

At this point conflict ends.

5. RESOLUTION

Also known as the conclusion. This last element of a Plot brings the story to an end — either happy or tragic. Most writers consider this element the most satisfying... I always do, lol.

Resolution is also called in French Denouement, which literally means ‘to untie’ or ‘unravelling’.

The writer resolves all conflicts, ties up all loose ends and viola, the story ends.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by TiffanyJ(f): 5:49pm On Sep 30, 2014
Divepen:
Will you take Noble4d's Place tomorrow
okay then, tomorrow it is. But come to think of it Divepen, my topic is a bit confusing. Is it ' How do you think of your character or characters?' I need to know o.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by LarrySun(m): 5:49pm On Sep 30, 2014
Spicy, I'm waiting.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 5:51pm On Sep 30, 2014
Thanks to all for this great privilege and opportunity given to me! I just think sharing this piece of my mind here will alleviate some pains.

ONCE UPON IN MARCH

Once upon in March
He came into this world like a chick
That has just been hatched
Only to grow up to a big man soon
But without a silver spoon
Never was he idle
But his destiny is like a riddle.

Once upon in March
She sailed on like a yatch on the sea
Her smile he will no longer see
For death has laid its icy hand on her
He could only laugh with his folded arms.
Standing there grounded, listening to all cries
Only then did he realised that life is like flies
It comes to goes.

Once upon in March
Many trouped out, in search of job
States across the Nation agog
With job~seeking youths
Hoping for Immigration to recruit.
Hale and hearty he went forth
Hoping at least it he will meet luck,
With vision and mission
Later in the evening came the news on the local station
That with nine others he has lost his dear life
While striving for a means to survive.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 5:52pm On Sep 30, 2014
You need to Know?
Today?
'I Need To Know' Will be Coming up November.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by repogirl(f): 6:03pm On Sep 30, 2014
Divepen: Repogirl, White mosquito and all NLsuper writer (Whatsapp) I miss you all...alot...
lol, missing your presence also, great work divepen.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by PrettySpicey(f): 6:04pm On Sep 30, 2014
THE IMPORTANCE OF A GOOD PLOT TO A WRITER.

THE IMPORTANCE OF A PLOT TO A WRITER

While we now understand a something of what a Plot entails, it is also imperative to understand its importance as a tool to a writer, whether Fiction or Non-Fiction.

I. The Plot helps the writer to focus attention on the important characters and their roles in the story. This tool helps a writer to build characters that will affect the story and connect events in an orderly manner.

II. A well-crafted plot helps create a desire in the reader to go on reading. If the writer rightly applies all elements of a Plot, the reader is thus absorbed into it and therefore hungers to know what happens next.
The reader becomes emotionally attached to the story and would not drop it until he/she arrives at the end.

III. A good Plot forms a memory on the readers’ minds, allowing them to think about the book or story. And it can even inspire of tempt the readers to want to read it again.

IV. A well plotted story helps the reader to understand the message being conveyed by the author and the explicit or implicit moral of the story.

V. Finally, a good Plot must eventually reveal the entire story and give the reader a sense of completion that he has finished the story and reached a conclusion. Readers must not be left hanging or feeling dissatisfied.

Well, with this few points and what we have above, I do sincerely hope in my small way I have helped us all have a better understanding of what a Plot is and what are its elements in Fiction Writing.

Thank you, Divepen for this honour and many thanks to my fellow writers.

My special thanks to these sites --- Wikipedia.com, literarydevice.net, joanhaines.hubpages.com and answers.com.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 6:05pm On Sep 30, 2014
BEFORE DUSK

When will I, my head put to rest
On an appeased soil not necessarily in a casket
Happy will i be if I leave while young
While the dew is still wet on the grass
In the absence of funeral gong
Seeing them wail over a lost carcass
Mad with furry will i return
With a furrious spank
For little did they know that,
Dust has gone back to dust
So let me be on my way before Dusk.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by PrettySpicey(f): 6:05pm On Sep 30, 2014
LarrySun: Spicy, I'm waiting.

you are waiting for what, Larry?
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 6:07pm On Sep 30, 2014
I apologise for posting the last piece late.....Tnks to all
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by PrettySpicey(f): 6:08pm On Sep 30, 2014
Over to you, Divepen, I'm done and I'm not doing this again... phew! sad

1 Like

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by LarrySun(m): 6:08pm On Sep 30, 2014
PrettySpicey:

you are waiting for what, Larry?
No comment. grin grin grin
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 6:08pm On Sep 30, 2014
Thanx ma'am...

[size=16]THE END OF DAY1...
Welcome To After-Party
[/size]
Princesa might come in anytime now to drop her own post...

1 Like

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by PrettySpicey(f): 6:10pm On Sep 30, 2014
LarrySun: Begin typing? shocked You gotta be kidding me!!!

you see why I'm gonna kill you first chance I get, huh? undecided SMH

1 Like

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by LarrySun(m): 6:10pm On Sep 30, 2014
marioking: I apologise for posting the last piece late.....Tnks to all
Nice piece, I like the rhymes. I didn't know you were also a poet.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by PrettySpicey(f): 6:11pm On Sep 30, 2014
LarrySun: No comment. grin grin grin

You better say something, dude?
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 6:13pm On Sep 30, 2014
PrettySpicey: Over to you, Divepen, I'm done and I'm not doing this again... phew! sad
Thank you very much ma...

Larrysun, No question?
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by PrettySpicey(f): 6:14pm On Sep 30, 2014
Divepen: Thanx ma'am...

C'est tout Is that all... Thanx ma'am

What happened to throwing me a party for not failing you? Dang! Divepen, you wound me real deep?

You guys make sure you read it.... tag them, Divepen... and guys?... I don't mind an all night party in the house grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 6:14pm On Sep 30, 2014
LarrySun: Nice piece, I like the rhymes. I didn't know you were also a poet.
Stop pullin my leg boss...and beside I ain't a poet, circumstance warrant it 'cos thats is the only way i can express myself without much stress!
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 6:34pm On Sep 30, 2014
PrettySpicey:

C'est tout Is that all... Thanx ma'am

What happened to throwing me a party for not failing you? Dang! Divepen, you wound me real deep?

You guys make sure you read it.... tag them, Divepen... and guys?... I don't mind an all night party in the house grin grin grin
chai..I will miss the party
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 6:39pm On Sep 30, 2014
Tomorrow...
DAY2
Introduction- 12:00-12:20
12:21-12:30- Poem/Short stories by Nkyotk
12:31- 1:30- PUNCTUATION AND ITS EFFECT- LARRYSUN: Followed by questions and answers
1:31-2:30- USING THE RIGHT VERBS - DAVEP..Followed by Q and A section.
2:31-2:40- Short story/Poem by Oma4U
2:41-3:40- -USING FAMILIAR TERMS AND WORDS IN WRITING- KAYEMJAY---followed by Q and A section
3:41-4:40 - HOW TO FLOW THROUGH A POEM- JIGSAWKILLAH-- followed by question and answer
4:41-4:50- Short story/Poem by Olusharp
4:51- 5:50--- -HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT YOUR CHARACTER-TIFFANYJ
5:51-6:00- short story/Poem by Naijachild
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by rapmike(m): 7:07pm On Sep 30, 2014
Wow! Wow!! Wow!!!

I have learnt a lot from everyone that has presented so far, especially from Audrey Timms and Prettyspicey. Tho I missed asking Spicey some questions.

Divepen, when its my turn, give me a reminder through tagging my name.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by OMA4U(m): 7:17pm On Sep 30, 2014
PrettySpicey, thanks. Well articulated!

Thanks divepen and everyone who contributes.
Tomorrow is another day.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by noble4d(m): 8:39pm On Sep 30, 2014
@ Divepen......which day I'm I posting?
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 8:47pm On Sep 30, 2014
noble4d: @ Divepen......which day I'm I posting?
Thursday. The same time you would have posted Tomorrow.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 8:48pm On Sep 30, 2014
OMA4U: PrettySpicey, thanks. Well articulated!

Tomorrow is another day.
You are welcome baba.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 8:48pm On Sep 30, 2014
rapmike: Wow! Wow!! Wow!!!

I have learnt a lot from everyone that has presented so far, especially from Audrey Timms and Prettyspicey. Tho I missed asking Spicey some questions.

Divepen, when its my turn, give me a reminder through tagging my name.
I will do Baba
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by PrettySpicey(f): 9:07pm On Sep 30, 2014
Well done, Audrey Timms. I completely enjoyed it and learned something too.

Way to go, girl
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by PrettySpicey(f): 9:18pm On Sep 30, 2014
OMA4U: PrettySpicey, thanks. Well articulated!

Tomorrow is another day.

Many thanks, OMA4U. Glad it served a purpose.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Onging Stories Collection Of Clustergist.com / The Girl Next Door / Local Champion.... Tale Of A House Boy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.