Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,854 members, 7,810,284 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:27 AM

BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport - Health (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport (41730 Views)

Pls why do African Ebola Patients die In The US but others survive / Good News! First Ebola Patient Discharged In Lagos / Ebola Patient Final Pictures Before Dying (viewer's Discretion) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by Fresia01(f): 10:38am On Sep 12, 2014
eddiebomba:

Take it from someone who witnessed the incident firsthand: the op was clearly not well informed, or at least he grossly misinterpreted the info given to him. If he can't get something as basic as the name of the airline correct, what's to say there aren't other inconsistencies in his story? Like how are we sure he got the name correct, that folswe is the right spelling of the woman's name ? Granted, he may not be a professional journalist, but such attention to detail could make the difference between truth and falsehood.

And as for the woman being allowed to come into this country, I can't really blame her like we can blame the Liberian Mr Sawyerr - she was on transit trying to get back home, and so long as she felt fine and didn't suspect she had the virus, and as long as she wasn't detected by health workers at any stage of her journey, no one could stop her from travelling - or are you suggesting she should have stayed back in the Ebola hot spot she had been to? Tell me, if you were in her position, what would you do? If you were in Guinea or in Liberia with this epidemic ravaging the country & you were feeling alright with no symptoms, would you stick around in that country till the epidemic is over, just in case? No, you'd get the hell out of there & head straight home! It seems to me that folks here are just miffed that the symptoms manifested HERE & she was detected HERE, not in another country, & so we can't do as we always do - play the ostrich & claim it's not our problem!

And let's face it: she's from South Africa, the most advanced of all the countries on the continent by far (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). You think it wouldn't be at the back of her mind that even if she had the virus, she would definitely get far better healthcare in her own land than in our own broken down, corrupt, decrepit healthcare system - where good quality medical care is a luxury meant for only those who can travel abroad to more serious countries to get it; where our thieving politicians steal the funds meant for our hospitals, & then go abroad to treat common cold; where doctors go on strike right when the country needs them the most; where the people are so unenlightened & gullible that we believe it when some prankster says bitter kola & salt water is a cure for the virus; where even many of our preachers sell us faith healing in place of medical advice (while they themselves jet out of the country for medical checkup angry). Trust me, if there was a solution to her problem, she wouldn't be looking for it here, cos our society is not inclined to solution-providing - not with our general curse-ranting, conspiracy peddling, why-always-us reaction to problems like this, & our general disdain for any sort of contingency planning - that's the bitter truth! To me it's just her bad luck - & ours - that it was manifest here; now we're going to have to deal with it if we can call ourselves responsible people.
if s.a have It all good why did u.s ask Nigeria to help instead of S.A. y didn't d woman hold her peace till she gets to s.a.wia she is sure of proper medical treatment if actually she turned herself in!!! u are just ranting nonsense!!! unrepentant pessimist dat can't see anything good in Nigeria even wen its so glaring!!!
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by RuuDie(m): 11:12am On Sep 12, 2014
Fresia01: if s.a have It all good why did u.s ask Nigeria to help instead of S.A. y didn't d woman hold her peace till she gets to s.a.wia she is sure of proper medical treatment if actually she turned herself in!!! u are just ranting nonsense!!! unrepentant pessimist dat can't see anything good in Nigeria even wen its so glaring!!!

Geographically, Nigeria is closest to the troubled spots... its like strategizing with S.A over BH issue rather than Niger, Chad and Cameroon...

Also, no one can really prove whether or not she stopped and reported herself (if this is the case) because she was more assured of better care here - whatever the case may be, we should be thankful that she did - at least, we are all spared of the hysteria associated with groping about in the dark or worse still, wallowing in ignorance whilst the disease travels from one person to another unnoticed!
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by donodion(m): 11:28am On Sep 12, 2014
angryOp..you are mischevious.The woman is a Liberian and not South Africa.
Whats actually wrong with you people for crying out loud? >:- angryOp..you are mischevious.The woman is a Liberian and not South Africa.
Whats actually wrong with you people for crying out loud? angry

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by donodion(m): 11:35am On Sep 12, 2014
eddiebomba: I was at the airport today when the incident occurred. I've been reading people's responses to the news & I just cringe at the level of thoughtless, self-righteous caustic comments on this thread. angry

First of all though, I have to tackle the op for gross misinformation:

1. the name of the airline the woman arrived on is ROYAL AIR MAROC, not "air morok";

2. The woman is a south African international on transit on her way home;

3. she had been through countries which were Ebola red zones before she got to casablanca

4. Most importantly, contrary to what d op says - that she was arrested by authorities at the airport- she actually turned herself in to the authorities once she complained of symptoms (now if it were some other people of some other nationalities I don't need to mention, what makes you think they wouldn't have kept it secret and slipped away unnoticed - given the evidently prevailing culture of denial among us). I just thought I should let people know before you all start haring after bogus conspiracy theories.

But what really pisses me off in this case is the way we're just exposing our ostrich mentality: we just bury our heads in the sand wishing this Ebola outbreak would just go away without us having to do anything about it(it's always someone else's problem, right?) & now the problem has shown its ugly head our way, we just blindly descend into hurling dog's abuse at whoever we feel is to blame: blame the woman who may not have even known how exactly she got the virus, but who was still responsible enough to report herself to the authorities; blame the airport authorities for being the ones who had to deal with her symptoms; blame the neighbours, blame that old woman in your village, blame the government, blame GEJ (a favourite of this forum ), and finally - and this is a favourite of this kind of thread - blame America, the great Satan, the so called harbinger of all that afflicts the black race! We're so good at blaming others for our problems, right or wrong, and we seem to have obtained Master's degrees in the art of abuse - jeez! If we could channel all that creativity into actually seeking solutions to our myriad problems, self - inflicted or otherwise, don't you think this country would be a much better place for all of us - better even than the America whose quality of life we envy, even if we don't say it?! Please, let's stop the insults & let's be proactive about issues, not reactive - the latter is not the way of progressives!
WORD!!!!!! and gazzillion likes.!!!!

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by boboLIL(m): 11:47am On Sep 12, 2014
Dah lady deserves death penalty for attempted "million murder"....pls yhu r unlucky wid yhur mission.....so yhu must die ooo.....die so millions can be saved....
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by Chigold101(m): 11:53am On Sep 12, 2014
Agbalanze: nawa oo!!
Bio-terrorism at its peak!!
GOD pass them all...
How did she board the plane from morocco to nigeria? Is she theonlyone that disembarked from the plane?
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by yashau(m): 11:55am On Sep 12, 2014
fyneguy: Why are they heading to Nigeria?
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by Litmus: 12:13pm On Sep 12, 2014

Also, no one can really prove whether or not she stopped and reported herself (if this is the case) because she was more assured of better care here - whatever the case may be, we should be thankful that she did - at least, we are all spared of the hysteria associated with groping about in the dark or worse still, wallowing in ignorance whilst the disease travels from one person to another unnoticed!

We should be grateful Well i can only assume that South Africans have beaten Nigerians senseless!

I apologies to Nigerian people that i may offend but when it comes to people from that nation South Africa, those people that murder and brutalize Nigerians in their Nation and have no shame about it but instead like primitive retrogrades go online to justify what they do in expectation of applause, i see nothing but red. Shameless people they are.

And like I've stated, before anyone condemns the reaction of some posters, be honest with yourselves, how would South Africa have reacted to a Nigerian in this situation? Tell me if he or she wouldn't have been humiliated, if South African news papers wouldn't have had derogatory headlines about Ebola ridden Nigerians coming to infect them and so on and so fourth. The Nigerians on here have been highly civilized and descent in comparisons and shouldn't be finger wagged at.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by tocin44(m): 1:12pm On Sep 12, 2014
whatlyf: The Government Should STOP every flight From Liberia/SA. Those useless people should solve their problems or DIE alone.
The Liberian woman should be quarantined without ANY treatment till she DIES. Wicked Soul

Haba bros, calm down abeg. U too take an personal.. Kilode..? grin wink cheesy
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by Nobody: 1:15pm On Sep 12, 2014
tocin44:

Haba bros, calm down abeg. U too take an personal.. Kilode..? grin wink cheesy
You mind those evil souls?
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by overhypedsteve(m): 5:09pm On Sep 12, 2014
Litmus:

We should be grateful Well i can only assume that South Africans have beaten Nigerians senseless!

I apologies to Nigerian people that i may offend but when it comes to people from that nation South Africa, those people that murder and brutalize Nigerians in their Nation and have no shame about it but instead like primitive retrogrades go online to justify what they do in expectation of applause, i see nothing but red. Shameless people they are.

And like I've stated, before anyone condemns the reaction of some posters, be honest with yourselves, how would South Africa have reacted to a Nigerian in this situation? Tell me if he or she wouldn't have been humiliated, if South African news papers wouldn't have had derogatory headlines about Ebola ridden Nigerians coming to infect them and so on and so fourth. The Nigerians on here have been highly civilized and descent in comparisons and shouldn't be finger wagged at.

i really do not know why i followed you. Maybe its your high sense of patriotism, maybe its your very good command of the English language or the way you apply it in backing your points, but i just have a single question for you my man. Do you live in Nigeria, and if you do in what kind of neighbourhood did you grow up, or are you a writer?
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by Nobody: 9:44pm On Sep 12, 2014
KiKatanga:

You can't spell. You can't speak English. Your posts are incomprehensible.

Anyway the point remains that God has killed thousands of Christians, but saved an Atheist.
Well, you are still very dull. It seem this your new line of thought help you out of you frustration momentarily.
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by Nobody: 11:56am On Sep 13, 2014
So some poor clueless Nigerians Wish Ebola was in SA,that's your own pandemic,deal with it and stop painting it to other nations...her name says it all,she is not south African,as some of you claim to be civilized,why don't you all focus on building your nation and stop crying foul about a country that belong to other people,bloody fools
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by jbblues24(m): 12:48am On May 31, 2019
Highly alluring dude shocked

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Months After Her Arm Was Amputated, Nigerian Lady Shares Recovery Photo / Ogun Student Commits Suicide For Being Dumped By Girlfriend / Toilet Disease, Real Or Imaginary?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.