Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,533 members, 7,823,318 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:38 AM

Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos (29834 Views)

Buhari Approves $2.4bn For Construction Of Red Line Rail In Lagos / Ogun Begins Construction Of Light Rail In Sango-Ijoko-Akute-Alagbole / In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by queenesthr(f): 2:03pm On Oct 13, 2009
May this come to pass in our lifetime.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by DisGuy: 10:09pm On Oct 13, 2009
aNY uPDATE?
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Nobody: 5:23am On Oct 14, 2009
no, no updates.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by oyemi2000: 9:24pm On Dec 22, 2009
The above subject is what prompted to join this blog. From all that I have read the project should have started by now, any update?
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by DisGuy: 3:57pm On Feb 05, 2010
Update?
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by oyemi2000: 6:37pm On Feb 05, 2010
I believe this link provides some news, http://www.lamata-ng.com/newsreader77.html
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Midas02(m): 3:01pm On Feb 06, 2010
Here is some news on the development of the actual Metro system being proposed in LAGOS. The stated amount is being expended to build the Badagry-Lagos Island line (Blue Line).

LAGOS TO SPEND N170 BILLION ON LIGHT RAIL

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/feb/3/606.html
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by oyemi2000: 5:13pm On Feb 06, 2010
"According to Fashola, the project, which was expected to be completed by August 2012, would provide employment for about 4,000 Nigerians.

He assured that the project, when completed, would make transportation faster, convenient and more efficient."

Dear Gov. Fashola, please do not forget affordable, for the ave. Nigerian earning $1 (~N150) per day.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by taiwosoji(m): 6:54am On Aug 02, 2010
thank you my brother God will keep you for our Generation to enjoy we must not struggle in our old age . Female foot ball have not been adultrated in Nigeria yet, can you see what it takes to use home talents? when they start traveling abroad for so called proffessionalism they first few that has the first oppurtunity will now HOLD ON strongly bribing and all sort like our male counterpart so as to be in the national team. you female footballing become a lucrative business you will see players paying money out of their nose hanging on Plane tires just to fly out for pro. the world is yet to see female football as busines or rather only very few girls can play so its only them you will see, here no mago mago only people that can play will show up not only that that has connection in aso rock.but brothers if it is not checked now it will soon go out of hand. THIS IS THE TRUE NIGERIA SPIRIT, you can also see it in our junior soccer, now you will know that our problem in naija is JUST THIS BIG WORD CuRuPtIoN it has eaten into all faccet of our life can you imagine even soccer, we need a messiah who will not fear see Jerry in Gahna, see Deng in China dont be supprise as South Africa will soon split into White and Black when Mandella is no More, alot of their glory will run to Ghana and we will watch gahna grow, because they have alrady taken our glory, WE NEED IT BACK please some one should help me to tell good luck that if he cant fix our power like other leader let him allow jonathan to make our rail work, we they Engineers in the Diaospora are full off talent / knowledge we want to explode, if we produce how can we move the goods to other part of Nigeria to sell? we are given scholarship to study abroad no check, no tax break if we come back to practice what we learn as soon as you start alittle thing you will see all manner of tax, LGC tax, State tax, FG et al how can we grow for God sake the foolish men in Bank of industry as turn the loan only to their family and friends i am really weeping we wish to come back bjut how can PLEASE TELL HIM to allow AJAKOTA to work 100% at low cot of propsed design from international scholar that came with idea of construction before we start one foooooooooooolish, COREN, NSE, Standard organisation go close dowbn your company just because you need to pay them out of you scholarship allowance that you got from school then how do we start must every one work in SHELL NNPC< CHEVRON etc before he/she starts, i beg help me ask GOOD Luck say make hthem define why them they give scholarship? look only 10% of the guys the come back some don they even consider security job with Msc in the UK, why co life style sweet life is not all about money , Checkout confort, checkout simplicity, you get appointment just take subway reach you destination, electricity dey 24 7, HELP ME TELL GOOD LUCK SAy i de vesk VESK vesk badly no any country go allow their best engineer to come help you fix your electricity com sit down for naija we no basic amenity na only dull ones them fit allow to come that will come and dabaru it the more. TEL GOODLUCK SAY na only tthrough passionate commitement we can grow commitement from government and people any one that ask of money is fake HOW MUCH DO YOU need for your life time ? ok if them put you for one big empty room can you say you still need that money? see security is not our problem i swear if development start now every thing will fall in place only one person go dey do 20 people work for all office just becauuse of greed not to share. i dey vesk weti wetin WEEEEEEEEETIN dem curse us ahahaha only to write for paper we sabi
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by PN: 5:39pm On Aug 27, 2010
This is an answer to this post of the member " Midas02 ": https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-190268.32.html#msg3038631

What are you talking about? Do you know what you have said? You are completely unaware!

The train in the picture is Hellenic Shipyards/Siemens Desiro Classic EMU. It is EMU (electric multiple unit). Where did you find the diesel on that train? Don't say whatever you have in your brain,

Also DEMU is not a train that uses diesel and makes electric power but a train that uses both diesel and electric motors.

The train that uses only diesel motor are DMU.

The train in the photo you show IS EMU. Here in Greece we have not DEMUs. France has DEMUs. Bombardier Bibi (BGC).
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by DisGuy: 7:23pm On Aug 27, 2010
^^ thanks

Any construction pictures?
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Midas02(m): 6:36pm On Sep 10, 2010
@P.N

You should improve on your mannerism and try to be less brash in your outbursts in future! You come across as someone who is ill-mannered!

The picture of the train in Greece was indeed a Electric Multiple Unit (EMU), however I chose that picture becos the particular train being shown there comes in both EMU variant and DEMU (Diesel Electric Multiple Unit) variant. Most importantly, I chose the picture becos it presented a good illustration of how a simple train station and a rail-line can be constructed in between a highway (on a highway median) - this was what was being focused on! Like I said, Siemen Desiro comes in both EMU or DEMU, and the purchasers only have to specify what they need. (So there is no need getting worked up!). Your assumptions concerning DEMU are flat out incorrect!

Yes, a train that uses diesel is called a DMU, however, DMUs are trains that use huge diesel engines for direct propulsion - these are hardly ever used for transit or metro purposes. DMUs are usually used in heavy-duty rail systems. DMU technology is old and tested and is generally preferred and used for freight over long distances (inter-state). DMUs have several disadvantages which include slothful (very slow) acceleration, high sensitivity to track gradient, high fuel consumption, inefficiency, higher maintenance cost and high pollution factor! DMU's are still being used in third world economies for passenger transport. Countries such as India, Pakistan, Nigeria and numerous African countries are still heavily dependent of DMUs for all their rail service.

DEMU on the other hand is what can be referred to as a hybrid. Being newer and more efficient, DEMU's burn less diesel becos the diesel power-plants are not used for direct propulsion (connected to a transmission and unto the track wheels). The diesel power-plants in DEMU's are used like a special high voltage generator which produces power for the numerous high-capacity electric motors which then propel the train! (this is why they are called diesel-electric!). Electric motors are generally more efficient in delivering power and torque to the track wheels and they can cope more efficiently with the numerous undulating demands of the Metro system (stop and go, fast and slow). Whereas, the advantage of diesel powered trains is in having lower capital and infrastruture cost and simplicity of operation. DEMU's is the best technology that straddles both the inherent simplicity and low capital cost of a diesel powered train and also takes advantage of the superior performance, superior economics and lower maintenance cost of the electric propulsion system!

So P.N, before you go throwing mindless tantrums and insulting others, always try and find out why things were done in certain ways and stop assuming you have a monopoly of knowledge! You may accept my explanation of how a DEMU works or other people will do some reading and come and educate you further! I have also taken the time to explain why I used that picture in Greece inspite of the fact that the particular train in the image is really an Electric variant (EMU). I hope we are straight and square. God bless.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by PN: 7:22pm On Nov 19, 2010
Desiros are my trains you won't learn them to mewink

You are unaware! Desiro come only on DMU and EMU. No DEMU. The diesel ones' are Diesel Mechanical not Diesel electric. So don't play it smart.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by PN: 12:28pm On Jun 29, 2011
Of course you have nothing to say,  You can't play it smart to me,  Everyone still laughs with that "DEMU" Desiro you said.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Horus(m): 12:50pm On Oct 31, 2011

One of the trains destined for Lagos

Light Rail Route in the Middle of 10 Lane Badagry Road
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by lummi(f): 3:56am On Apr 16, 2012
nice, looking forward to more updates..
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Midas02(m): 4:04pm On Jul 07, 2012
Nice to see some progress on the Lagos state project. The trains being shown in the picture are Toronto's new Bombardier Rocket Metro trains (being newly acquired by TTC) - the news I read about the project development earlier seemed to indicate that Lagos State was acquiring the Older TTC Metro trains that are being retired (after overhaul of course). However, whatever may be the case - Good job!
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Midas02(m): 4:12pm On Jul 07, 2012
Here is a video of the Hawker Siddeley H5/H6 Trains currently being used in Toronto that is destined for the Lagos LAMATA project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p68DECEU-fI

Here is more news and information:

http://www.thestar.com/news/transportation/article/1049970--ttc-subway-cars-bound-for-nigeria?bn=1
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Midas02(m): 4:20pm On Jul 07, 2012

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Adeyemi Oyetade Facilitating Deportation Of Nigerians From Norway / Deplorable State Of Calabar Itu Road!!! / Anambra Int'l Airport: Commercial Flights Arrive From Abuja & Lagos:video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.