Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,448 members, 7,823,060 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:51 PM

Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? (5279 Views)

Culture Of Disrespect / Disrespect Of The Red Cap And Igbo Traditions:i Blame Your Parents!! / .. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by poik(m): 11:26am On Sep 16, 2014
Now this has proven controversial-and timelessly too. It is common to witness altercations between people, one says he was disrespected, and demands express apology. The other says he didn't mean to be like that and therefore owes nothing. My question is, who should be handed the right of opinion here, baring factors like age difference, culture and others?
Talk to me, people.
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by kbshow100(m): 6:05am On Sep 17, 2014
What is this one saying??
The most important thing is that I'm FTC

3 Likes

Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by Johnbosco77(m): 6:05am On Sep 17, 2014
poik: Now this has proven controversial-and timelessly too. It is common to witness altercations between people, one says he was disrespected, and demands express apology. The other says he didn't mean to be like that and therefore owes nothing. My question is, who should be handed the right of opinion here, baring factors like age difference, culture and others?
Talk to me, people.
wait ooooo. I'm I FTC?

1 Like

Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by iheanyi40(m): 6:06am On Sep 17, 2014
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by Nobody: 6:06am On Sep 17, 2014
I dey cum
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by miredia(m): 6:06am On Sep 17, 2014
I don't see anything controversial in addressing people as politely as possible. First and most important to take note of is disrespect borders on cultures and communal practices. What is considered rude in Japan might be a gesture of reception in the United States. You may acceptably go on your knees to greet as a female if from a deep cultured Yoruba home and be considered a lousy clown doing same in Finland. I could shake hands with my Caucasian in-laws and be shown the door if I "do anyhow" with Papa Osato.

5 Likes

Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by chinex276(m): 6:07am On Sep 17, 2014
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by Mubby4luv(m): 6:07am On Sep 17, 2014
kbshow100:
tsolz84: I dey cum
iheanyi40: .
miredia: M
chinex276: .
Sagytarius:
This days I don't know why people book space anymore, its not like they make any sensible contributions

1 Like

Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by redcliff: 6:07am On Sep 17, 2014
Johnbosco77: wait ooooo. I'm I FTC?

No you are not, Dully...
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by Sagytarius(m): 6:07am On Sep 17, 2014
Baring age difference, the elder one is handed the right of opinion if the involved parties are related by blood; more especially if they are from same parents.

Their could be stvpid "seniors" though. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by kwasoly(m): 6:08am On Sep 17, 2014
Respect is reciprocal.

2 Likes

Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by kbshow100(m): 6:08am On Sep 17, 2014
sorry fof you.
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by LMAyedun(m): 6:08am On Sep 17, 2014
Too many kids on Nairaland.

2 Likes

Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by redcliff: 6:08am On Sep 17, 2014
kbshow100: What is this one saying??
kbshow100: Tt

Busted
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by godonzoki(m): 6:09am On Sep 17, 2014
Common sense defines it.
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by Nobody: 6:09am On Sep 17, 2014
I believe regardless of your age or whomever you are,to deserve respect,you must have earned it.....

2 Likes

Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by Johnbosco77(m): 6:10am On Sep 17, 2014
kbshow100: sorry fof you.
exactly wat I wanna hear
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by uzomore(m): 6:10am On Sep 17, 2014
poik: Now this has proven controversial-and timelessly too. It is common to witness altercations between people, one says he was disrespected, and demands express apology. The other says he didn't mean to be like that and therefore owes nothing. My question is, who should be handed the right of opinion here, baring factors like age difference, culture and others?
Talk to me, people.
Forgt abt culture n age of a thing,he who deserves apology must be apologies,even a kid deserves it once u finds out u hav default his or her code.

1 Like

Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by coolzeal(m): 6:10am On Sep 17, 2014
It depends on which side of fence you look at things. Disrespect consists of saying and doing things you know will hurt the other person, just because you know it will hurt. Bottom line is if you both say negative comments to each other, it means neither of you respect each other.
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by EbirichBen(m): 6:11am On Sep 17, 2014
Please its simple.
Just Ask Mr. Respect when next you see him. because its the opposite.
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by Bsc(m): 6:12am On Sep 17, 2014
Age counts, status in a society counts , a well mannerd person earns it too....
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by Johnbosco77(m): 6:12am On Sep 17, 2014
LMAyedun: Too many kids on Nairaland.
yes mr adult. merci beaucoup sire
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by gidzbobby: 6:13am On Sep 17, 2014
Its g'na take a good listener, to judge after hearing from both parties... So I'll say if u misunderstood and u dey ask for respect+apology, OYO.
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by sunnedee: 6:13am On Sep 17, 2014
kbshow100: sorry fof you.

Sagytarius:

Mubby4luv: make I do the needful first.
chinex276: .
miredia: M
tsolz84: I dey cum

iheanyi40: .

Una no command respect...

Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by johnstar(m): 6:13am On Sep 17, 2014
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by datguru: 6:13am On Sep 17, 2014
Let me wake up 1st
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by Pavore9: 6:15am On Sep 17, 2014
lt is tricky because what l may regard disrespectful is nothing for d other person. Like in Kenya most kids don't greet even if na ur neighbour pikin, they just walk pass you & often wish l was back in Nigeria so l can garnish their heads wit a knock!
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by rill: 6:17am On Sep 17, 2014
Cartman

Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by olorunthobby(f): 6:21am On Sep 17, 2014
eh

Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by Kayraph(m): 6:23am On Sep 17, 2014
Respect is reciprocal...
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by freshness2020: 6:23am On Sep 17, 2014
Be ryt back..

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Looking For A Calabar Translator / The Black Race And The Way Forward. / Relationship Between Itsekiri And Igbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.