Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,225 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

Advice On Being An Actuary - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Advice On Being An Actuary (11691 Views)

I Need Advice On Professional Courses In IT / I Need Advice On The Best Way To Get Into The Downstream Sector Of The Oil&gas / Need Advice On Finance Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice On Being An Actuary by jamsfaiv: 12:16pm On Sep 17, 2015
Here's a link to the 20 year-old Fellow of the Society of Actuaries (SOA); another evidence showing you're neither too old nor too young to start an actuarial career http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/money/business/2015/09/02/meet-top--his-field-actuary-whos-still-college/71588398/

Call 09030009963 / 08182201339 or email training@tafconsult.com to train as an actuary and write Exams in Nigeria.
Re: Advice On Being An Actuary by mikeayus(m): 9:46am On Oct 01, 2015
jamsfaiv:
Are you ready to be an active beneficiary in the rapidly growing financial risk sector? Do you have what it takes to earn top dollar in consulting? Are you interested in being an Actuary?

Individual counseling session on who and how to become an Actuary, will be held in our Anthony, Lagos office from tomorrow

-Thursday, 15th to Saturday 17th January, 2015 by 9:00 AM and 4:00PM daily.

What else are you waiting for?

Call 0700-ACTUARY (0700-2288279) or email training@tafconsult.com to interact with some of the best Actuaries in Nigeria !!!

Please when is d next edition of your seminar coming up? I am an undergraduate of industrial maths in my 300level, which is best for me; go on with the probability, economics and other Ct exams or pursue a M.Sc in actuarial science, I want to know which seems easier based on my background and considering the fastest route to attaining an associate level considering both options, thanks
Re: Advice On Being An Actuary by Nobody: 9:19pm On Oct 17, 2015
Yababoy:

I do not totally agree with you. There are also Actuarial Consulting firms (though very few) that are always on the lookout for good Actuarial students in Nigeria to employ. I will also tell u from my personal experience that the demand is there, remember the supply is very very low in Nigeria, so the few ones are very highly demanded. With the reforms, the demand will only go higher and I'm sure u can infer what that means for the few professionals now.
As per the MSc in Actuarial Science in the UK, I'm sorry to tell u that ur chances of getting a job in the UK after the MSc is about 1% as the visa rules have changed. Companies will be willing to employ u but they would be limited by the visa rules. However, u have the option of moving to Canada, USA or Australia afterwards.
My final word is that the MSc will give u a headstart in the Exams because of the exemptions, if u decide to look for work experience in other countries its fine and if u also decide to come back to Nigeria to work a bit u will also not regret it. I am speaking from very personal experience.
hey please i just got admitted to study actuarial science in uniben, is there any hope for graduates to get job?
Re: Advice On Being An Actuary by jamsfaiv: 4:56pm On Oct 30, 2015
Re: Advice On Being An Actuary by deeoh(m): 1:03am On Nov 22, 2016
Yababoy:
It would help if u state what ull like to know about the field. However, u can go to http://www.actuaries.org.uk/ for more information. If u have particular questions about the field that you couldn't find answers to, just post it here and I'll see if I can help.
Good day bro. How can one go about been an actuary. According to the link you provided, the body is based in uk; can one write the exams right here in Nigeria if so how pls?
Re: Advice On Being An Actuary by Nobody: 1:58am On Mar 25, 2017
Actuarial group is open. Contact me if u care to join. 09023018384
Re: Advice On Being An Actuary by teesaint22(m): 8:38am On May 26, 2018
mikeayus:

Please when is d next edition of your seminar coming up? I am an undergraduate of industrial maths in my 300level, which is best for me; go on with the probability, economics and other Ct exams or pursue a M.Sc in actuarial science, I want to know which seems easier based on my background and considering the fastest route to attaining an associate level considering both options, thanks
Bro, I'm currently studying industrial maths, (300l).
You later decided on pursuing a career on actuarial science, if yes, plz can you help me with some info concerning it.
I'd like to pursue a career on actuarial science
Re: Advice On Being An Actuary by haryomikun(m): 11:46am On Dec 07, 2019
Yababoy:

I do not totally agree with you. There are also Actuarial Consulting firms (though very few) that are always on the lookout for good Actuarial students in Nigeria to employ. I will also tell u from my personal experience that the demand is there, remember the supply is very very low in Nigeria, so the few ones are very highly demanded. With the reforms, the demand will only go higher and I'm sure u can infer what that means for the few professionals now.
As per the MSc in Actuarial Science in the UK, I'm sorry to tell u that ur chances of getting a job in the UK after the MSc is about 1% as the visa rules have changed. Companies will be willing to employ u but they would be limited by the visa rules. However, u have the option of moving to Canada, USA or Australia afterwards.
My final word is that the MSc will give u a headstart in the Exams because of the exemptions, if u decide to look for work experience in other countries its fine and if u also decide to come back to Nigeria to work a bit u will also not regret it. I am speaking from very personal experience.

I just gained admission as a DE student into Unilag to study actuarial science. I noted down your posts and believe you have a great deal of knowledge on the actuarial science course and the actuary profession.

I'd love to have your contact sir
Re: Advice On Being An Actuary by Yababoy(m): 12:50pm On Jan 07, 2020
You can quote me on a dead thread. I can share my contacts with you there. Apologies, I have not been as active as I used to be here.
haryomikun:

I just gained admission as a DE student into Unilag to study actuarial science. I noted down your posts and believe you have a great deal of knowledge on the actuarial science course and the actuary profession.

I'd love to have your contact sir
Re: Advice On Being An Actuary by haryomikun(m): 12:48am On Jan 08, 2020
Yababoy:
You can quote me on a dead thread. I can share my contacts with you there. Apologies, I have not been as active as I used to be here.
It's no problem sir. Thanks for replying as promptly as you could. Balloting killed my battery yesterday

I'll quote you on one of my dead threads now sir
Re: Advice On Being An Actuary by hafisbabatunde: 10:39am On Apr 30, 2020
Yababoy:

Good evening brother,
I am sorry for bothering you.
My wife study Actuarial science and has exemption in three papers from the IFOA already though she had no Intern experience.
I need your advice on a good actuarial firm or insurance firm where she can intern with or work to gain experience as she continue her strive to become an associates.
Thank you in anticipation.
Re: Advice On Being An Actuary by Yababoy(m): 11:28am On Sep 06, 2020
hafisbabatunde:

Good evening brother,
I am sorry for bothering you.
My wife study Actuarial science and has exemption in three papers from the IFOA already though she had no Intern experience.
I need your advice on a good actuarial firm or insurance firm where she can intern with or work to gain experience as she continue her strive to become an associates.
Thank you in anticipation.
Apologies just seeing this. I hope she has gotten a fix now. If not, tell her to apply to approach EY, PwC or any of the big insurers in Nigeria; Leadway, Aiico and co. They are all.always looking for students with actuarial papers like her.
Re: Advice On Being An Actuary by hafisbabatunde: 3:09pm On Sep 23, 2020
Thank you very much.
She has six month to complete her service.
She will apply afterwards.

I will always welcome your advice

Thank you very much.

Yababoy:
Apologies just seeing this. I hope she has gotten a fix now. If not, tell her to apply to approach EY, PwC or any of the big insurers in Nigeria; Leadway, Aiico and co. They are all.always looking for students with actuarial papers like her.
Re: Advice On Being An Actuary by Thesunises: 3:34pm On Jul 19, 2021
@yababoy please can you kindly share your email address?
Re: Advice On Being An Actuary by Aiicoinsurancee: 11:16am On Sep 16, 2022
BUSINESS ASSOCIATE (Part-Time)

We are looking for an ambitious self-motivated working class to work with us part-time

Objectives
you are to work as a financial advisor for our company with your weekend
you must be a goal-getter and be committed
requirement
minimum OND
0-1 year of experience
must be within the age of 30-55
a smart thinker and intelligent
must currently be working or engaged doing something (be it business or trading)
ability to work with or without supervision

send your resume and application to iriogbe.richard@aiicoplc.com

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Studying Medical Biochemistry A Waste Of Time In Nigeria? / Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter / I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.