Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,816 members, 7,820,881 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. (24579 Views)

Bode George, Odili Got N100M Each From Dasuki In Arms Purchase Scam - Sahara Rep / EFCC Arrests 25 Prominent Nigerians Over $2billion Arms Purchase Scandal / EFCC Arrests Attahiru Bafarawa Over Arms Purchase Deal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by sunnshyn(f): 7:47am On Sep 18, 2014
President Goodluck Jonathan, ok. But wait I have a question sir. You people were desperate after America and co refused selling arms to us and so you 'cargoed' almost $10m in cash to SA without informing them(SA govt) first?

2) In your desperation, you couldn't find any other means of transfer except using Ayo's Jet?

3) When you realized that America wasn't going to sell, who did you tell? None of the citizen you swore to protect heard about it, if indeed you think we need not know intially, why then are you telling us now?

Even if all you have alledged is true, don't your excellency think that you and your cohorts have shamelessly acted in an embarrassing manner which may further severe our relationships with SA govt?

In case you didn't know sir, Nigerians are treated with disdain and disgust here in SA because of issues like this. They think we are all criminals, both govt and citizens and so we are avoided like plagues...

Answers to the above questions are needed.

10 Likes

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 7:47am On Sep 18, 2014
arresa:

Why should they give sensitive machine like apache just for you to turn around and give it to BH? Abi how many time have you surrendered your military bases and weapons for BH to loot and kill you with

that's more reason why we need bigger guns. no BH, no matter how ecstatic he is about his 77virgins would date attack a building fortified with heavy-assault batteries and gallant soldiers
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by stanconnect(m): 7:47am On Sep 18, 2014
texaco1: This doesn't make any sense. There are countries and many arms dealers that will sell arms to nigeria without the approval of the americans. If this deal was between sa government and the fg,why do they need to pay in cash? A simple bank transfer would have prevented all these problems .why carry cash from nigeria is a private charter flight to sa without any single govt representative to purchase arms for nigeria and without even notifying the sa goovt of your arrival if truly they are waiting and expecting you

They see us as fools nah...they gabbage in whatsoever they feel is wise from their side and expect us to accept it...imagine the flimsy excuse? who said the arm dealer cannot even come to Nigeria here make the deliveries and then be paid here if that is the case? What happened to online transfers? Abi America stop that one too ni? I thought this people should have learnt from their predecessors, of all countries, why should it be SA that is as corrupt as we are that the arms should come from? Lol...I de laff!

There are several questions they need to answer! I thought they will be smart here, they would have denied the jet entirely so the leased company (according to Mr. CAN president) would be held responsible for whatsoever act that they where smuggling out such an amount of money for.

Now they have involved themselves...and expecting foolz to believe on this flimsy excuse?? I wish America will take this up and unveil the actual purpose of that fund cos I trust my country men....they ain't telling us what we need to hear...by now they should have known that we have outgrown all this their old tricks so I advice they stop playing on our intelligence and grow up!

2 Likes

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by nagoma(m): 7:47am On Sep 18, 2014
3 Trillion Naira budgeted for arms, couldn't buy because of American blockade. The presidents wants another billion dollars loan to buy arms. Doesn't make sense. Criminals are ruling Nigeria .

2 Likes

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by CaptBarbosa: 7:48am On Sep 18, 2014
Bluetooth2:
Russia is ready to sell, so this useless people should stop complaining !

The FG should just come out and tell Nigerians the truth what the money is meant for, cos they just signed arms deal with Russia last month.

In August Russia and Nigeria signed a large contract for delivery of
helicopters, ITAR-TASS reports with reference to the head of Rostec
State Corporation’s delegation at ADEX-2014, Sergey Goreslavsky.
"In August a contract for delivery of a large batch of helicopters to
Nigeria was signed. This refers to significant number of Mi-171Sh
and a few Mi-35M helicopters", - Goreslavsky said.
He added that Mi-171Sh and other versions of Mi-17 helicopter are
in demand in Africa. "Mozambique is interested in these vehicles and
we are going to promote the helicopters at the exhibition held in
Republic of South Africa", - he added.

http://www.ruaviation.com/news/2014/9/17/2619/

3 Likes

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by agabusta: 7:48am On Sep 18, 2014
BTT:

Yes actually.

There are sanctions on Russia right now that disables her economy from selling arms.

I stand to be corrected.

Your statement does not make sense. How can sanctions disable the Russian economy from selling arms?? (An economy that needs money seriously to counter the effects of the sanctions)

Do you think Russia is one puppet country that can be pushed around?

Arms trading is one of the major source of earnings to the Russian govt.

Military sanctions only takes effect if you want to buy from an ally nation of the country imposing the sanction.

North Korea and Iran are under crippling US sanctions and they still do a lot of arms trading with Russia (buying) and they also sell to some other countries.

2 Likes

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by Gbawe2: 7:49am On Sep 18, 2014
If true then Nigerians should know that it is logical the USA views the GEJ government complicit in the Boko Haram saga. The "Human rights violation" excuse is nonsense. This is the USA that concocts "weapons of mass destruction" stories to invade Iraq it believes to be part of an "axis of evil" it must crush. If the USA is blocking the Jonathan-led Government from buying arm then it is because they believe there is no serious effort to fight and crush Boko Haram.

Likely they actually have information and reasons to fear the weapons are being bought for Boko Haram by a rogue 'fly-by-night' government which is secretly aiding a war of terror against her own people for political gains. It does not make sense the USA will ever reject assisting any sincere nation attempting to crush fundamentalist terror that may later become a bigger headache for the USA and her citizens ala ISIS, Al Qaeda, Al Shabaab, AQIM et al. Let us remember this is the same USA that carries out summary execution of terror bosses, with innocent ciivilians affected fatally sometimes, with it drones attack in Nations outside the continent of America.

The USA will work with human rights abusers and even violate human rights herself, albeit covertly, to crush dangerous sworn enemies. It has always being the way for the USA i.e a readiness to do whatever is in the best interest of America. If Nigeria had a sincere government in place genuinely trying to crush Boko Haram then the Nation would have no greater ally than the USA.

I expect more revelations in future that will expose the complicity of influential members of the GEJ Government in their deceitful "war on terror". All what we are hearing now is 'Chicken change' and only the beginning. Is it not how they commissioned Ribadu to 'investigate' the problems of the Petroleum sector only for Ribadu to reveal that the GEJ government is indeed the 'problem' behind the scams, inefficiency and corrupt practices undermining our petroleum sector?

11 Likes

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by Nobody: 7:49am On Sep 18, 2014
Going through the comments on this thread I weep for our young ones. You people should get off your backside read read and read not just your school work but happenings around the world. Many of you dont know how the world works and the most embarrasing of it all instead of doing some research you all let your emotions take charge. I weep for your kids, send less time chasing celebrity news and more time reading for your own good.

1 Like

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by Iceking1(m): 7:50am On Sep 18, 2014
Ajorosun:

U r M..... U....... M....... U.

See beyond politics

ur papa with he round head ni b MUMU...NONSENCE

1 Like

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by cirmuell(m): 7:51am On Sep 18, 2014
As much as I'ld like to believe this, it's hard to believe. US can't stop Russia, China not even France from selling arms to us. undecided

1 Like

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by zicoraads: 7:51am On Sep 18, 2014
agabusta:

Reason it out well Bro. Nobody needs tip any info.

SA is not as dumb as Nigeria. So you mean suitcases not labeled diplomatic cargo will just come into their country, and all the police, customs and other airport officials will just be looking at the passengers as they go through airport security without ascertaining its content.

You people should use you head jor!

No! I know someone tipped someone, I know it for a fact. But then, the Nigerian govt is a serial liar and that is why pple don't trust them even when they are saying the truth.

And truthfully speaking, the real intent of that purchase, I wouldn't trust the info from the FG.

2 Likes

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by yormite: 7:52am On Sep 18, 2014
Nigeria govt lieing since 1914 anyone with a common sense will know this is a lie bt common sense is not common anyway

3 Likes

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by molydonhenry(m): 7:53am On Sep 18, 2014
I used to believe dat one day Naija will b good, Buh gradually I'm wrong. First was blaming APC, now U.S maybe later God.

So many irregularities in naija. God pls format dz country

2 Likes

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by Opiosko: 7:53am On Sep 18, 2014
Demdem: Foolish govt with their world class lies.
If America no gree, Russia nko?
Are they insinuating that America also blocked Russia from selling arms to Nigeria?
Foolish set of people.
Lol! See this drunk armchair analyst . A move towards Russia or any US rival for arms and defence matters at a time like this will cause the US to instigate a coup in Nigeria. GEJ is not dumb. Self preservation first.

1 Like

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by Rawani: 7:54am On Sep 18, 2014
I remember when a huge shipment of arms were intercepted at Apapa Port some years ago. The importers were never unraveled, no-one was punished and the final destination of the arms remains a mystery, this can ONLY be done with the collusion of the government. Two months later, BH started using rocket-launchers to attack military barracks. The question then arises about the source of BH arms, since the FG has said the US is policing arms sales, and we know for sure BH arms are not only the ones seized from the barracks as our soldiers have complained of their superior fire-power.

The government seems to have been caught red-handed in trying to change their import method after their failure the first time, and has ended up in hotter oil.

12 Likes

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by redcap: 7:54am On Sep 18, 2014
Rilwayne001: Whoever cast his/her vote for this government next year is mad

Stuupid comment,why not give us a better option like fashola or any other credible candidate other than ur serial loser,buhari.
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by Mina98(f): 7:54am On Sep 18, 2014
Now we know that it is the government that is fueling terrorism in this country and also diverting our money to other country saying it is to be use for arm buying. Jonathan is doom

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by TIDDOLL(m): 7:55am On Sep 18, 2014
ihedinobi2: I actually find this somewhat believable. I'm pretty sure that buying arms from Russia could severely strain our relationship with America. It may be less severe with China but there is a question of China's own self-interest.

America can block arms trade with another party by threatening either some interest of Nigeria's or some interest of the selling country. It's not like they lack the ability to do so. Some countries can call their bluff but how many really can? And of those who can, what else besides hard currency would it cost Nigeria to buy from them? If the sellers are few, Nigeria's bargaining power drops significantly.

Also, the human rights claim is not unbelievable. We ourselves complain a lot about how the armed forces from the police force all the way up to the intelligence operatives disregard human life and simply use their martial training to mete out any treatment that suits them to people they feel threatened by or simply find intolerable somehow.

Altogether, this is a believable story, I think. Not saying it's absolutely true. That's just what I think.
SECONDED.

1 Like

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by redcap: 7:56am On Sep 18, 2014
Rilwayne001: Whoever cast his/her vote for this government next year is mad

Stuupid comment,why not give us a better option like fashola or any other credible candidate other than ur serial loser,buhari.
I have always posited that until the opposition party present us with someone else other than buhari,atiku or any power hungry northerner I will stick with jona(he remains the demon I know).
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by poiZon: 7:58am On Sep 18, 2014
Are they insinuating that America also blocked Russia from selling arms to Nigeria?
Foolish set of people.

wen u flout the diplomatic rules n buy arms from russsia, will russia also buy your oil?
just simple question.
thought most APC guys on nairaland were sensible n educated, so far from it.
now every EU and NATO countries are at war with russia, US dont wanna sell n they hv blocked other countries from supplyng to us cos of how saharareporters, lie mohammed n amnesty international indicting NIGerian army of war crimes and human abuse against boko haram and how some army are sympathetic to bokoharam. you guys should hv atleast see the picture clearly but partisanship and pulldown syndrome wont allow you n your cohorts say n comment the right thng.
God bless nIGERIA!

1 Like

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by ocelot2006(m): 7:59am On Sep 18, 2014
It's Premium Times. Nuff said.
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by Demdem(m): 7:59am On Sep 18, 2014
Ngwakwe: Yet to see an logical and intelligent contribution so far.

Antagonism is truly an obstacle to analytical reasoning.

So easy to predict 90% contributions/comments.

Deeperlifer, why don't u give one if u avnt seen any so far. This post of urs is plainly foolish.

10 Likes

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by Nobody: 8:00am On Sep 18, 2014
ubongutioh: Seems like the truth. But we should have opted for Russia though.... America is not what people think... They will close their eyes for Israel to kill Palestinians.... They suddenly woke up when ISIL start recruiting their teenagers... They secretly want Nigeria to disintegrate.
we knw but why is d gov telin this nw it stil dnt add up
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by okoolori(m): 8:01am On Sep 18, 2014
omenka:
And it gets more interesting!!!
What hasn't this government blamed for her failures??
Can't wait to get the reply from Washington!!
Our government has been telling so much lately and there is no other way to put it than to say:
Story for the god my broda from another mother
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by agabusta: 8:03am On Sep 18, 2014
Foolish set of people.

Opiosko: Lol! See this drunk armchair analyst . A move towards Russia or any US rival for arms and defence matters at a time like this will cause the US to instigate a coup in Nigeria. GEJ is not dumb. Self preservation first.

Its you that seems like the drunk armchair analyst to me. So what of the arm deals the Nigerian govt signed earlier this year with the Russians, running into billions of dollars. Where will you place that one??

3 Likes

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by kenex4ever(m): 8:03am On Sep 18, 2014
omenka:
And it gets more interesting!!!
What hasn't this government blamed for her failures??
Can't wait to get the reply from Washington!!

This OP is a fool. Goon!

1 Like

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by texazzpete(m): 8:03am On Sep 18, 2014
Such a stupid lie...these people clearly take Nigerians for fools.

3 Likes

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by Ryabcool(m): 8:04am On Sep 18, 2014
ISpiksDaTroof:
This is a bloody lie from the pit of hell, and today I promise you this: GOODLUCK EBERE JONATHAN WILL NOT BE PRESIDENT COME FEBRUARY 15, 2015! Neither State nor Justice (Depts.) has Nigeria blacklisted from legal Arms purchases. What we have been against from jump were the illegalities involved in their procurement and transactions. To blame the United States for this scandal is to admit what we have thought all along: THIS CORRUPT NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT HAS A HAND IN THE INSURGENCY AND HAS A LOT TO ANSWER!!!

If Nigeria pushes, we will push back. Theres a lot to be revealed and I think its about time this evil group of people leading Nigeria to the abyss are put to shame once and for all.
I really can't wait to read the US official statement on this. I'm dying to know...
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by Demdem(m): 8:05am On Sep 18, 2014
[[s]quote author=poiZon]

wen u flout the diplomatic rules n buy arms from russsia, will russia also buy your oil?
just simple question.
thought most APC guys on nairaland were sensible n educated, so far from it.
now every EU and NATO countries are at war with russia, US dont wanna sell n they hv blocked other countries from supplyng to us cos of how saharareporters, lie mohammed n amnesty international indicting NIGerian army of war crimes and human abuse against boko haram and how some army are sympathetic to bokoharam. you guys should hv atleast see the picture clearly but partisanship and pulldown syndrome wont allow you n your cohorts say n comment the right thng.
God bless nIGERIA![/quote][/s]

Crap. Where Av u been that u aren't conversant with current news.
Nigeria new set of helicopters are coming from Russia.
It's good to support ones govt but it's plain stupidity doing it foolishly.
Jonaadaft till ur early grave

7 Likes

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by texaco1: 8:05am On Sep 18, 2014
khafrahdante:

It doesnt work that way my friend.Black market arms deal cannot be done via bank cable transfer.Dont you know transactions are monitored?
why do nigeria need to go to the black market to buy arms for her army? Someone asked a sensible question here this thread,which was if this deal was between the sa govt and nigeria govt ,why not invite the dealer to nigeria? What is the job of the sa embassy in nigeria? Don't they have a military attache at the sa embassy in nigeria? Why do nigeria even need to do it in an hush hush manner ?one thing is glaringly clear and that is the sa government was not privy to this deal.

1 Like

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by eluquenson(m): 8:06am On Sep 18, 2014
Our govt are colony of liars, fear Nigeria govt before you fear Lucifer.
I smell conspiracy by the southerners to be forearmed before 2015, they may seek to disintegrate if not re-elected.
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by limamintruth: 8:06am On Sep 18, 2014
Seriously though, the way world politics is playing out, its now obvious that the u.s really is the enemy world peace. They might even be the ones funding bokoharam sect in nigeria just to bring about the end of nigeria as one big united country. Some years back, the u.s predicted the end of nigeria by 2015, thus, its obvious they are doing all within their power to make their prediction come to reality.
They have used this divide and rule tactics on some countries already and they are trying to apply same in nigeria.
If only nigerian govt will distance itself from the u.s and embrace other more responsible world powers, the better for nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Governor Fayose Gives Children Christmas Gifts (Photos) / Woman And Her 3 Children Dead In Zaria After Heavy Rain In Kaduna. Photos / Peter Obi Honored With Citizenship Of Dallas, USA (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.