Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,496 members, 7,830,499 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Igbo Men And Their Mama - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Men And Their Mama (9600 Views)

6 Reasons Gender Equality is beneficial To Nigerian MEN And Society At Large / Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage / Igbo Men Are Handsome! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Men And Their Mama by osisi6(f): 3:12am On Nov 20, 2008
DeepZone:

. I was wondering on why she has been following me around until I remembered the day she asked me whether i got my fiance here on nairaland. may be she thinks there is a special way to catch men online that I do not want to teach her. Help me tell her again that this earth-mama has never met anybody online, rather it's people I don't know that flood my email with junk love notes. I just wish she gets someone before the year runs out so that this stalking and 24 hour online thuggery will cease. For a woman that spends this amount of time online, I am quite sure her yansh is bigger than the area of ibadan from lack of exercise.

You don't say.
where is  my brother aluminiumEmeka  grin
He needs to put in a bid
Congrats deepzone on your engagement
Re: Igbo Men And Their Mama by DeepZone: 3:26am On Nov 20, 2008
She has resumed the attack. She first thought I met my fiance online, then he is ibo, then he is aloy emeka, then I am not yoruba ,then I am not Nigerian, then I am very unhappy and it goes on and on and on. Very soon I will become a black American. There has been occasions where she threw the bullet at my parents, family members even in threads i am not interested. Lately, she is telling me which areas to explore in nairaland as if i have the whole time in the world like her. osis, if you can get her a job, even if it's CNA, she'll definitely spend more time loving herself and may be a boo will follow before her eggs freezes over.
Re: Igbo Men And Their Mama by osisi6(f): 3:33am On Nov 20, 2008
DeepZone:

She has resumed the attack. She first thought I met my fiance online, then he is ibo, then he is aloy emeka, then I am not yoruba ,then I am not Nigerian, then I am very unhappy and it goes on and on and on. Very soon I will become a black American. There has been occasions where she threw the bullet at my parents, family members even in threads i am not interested. Lately, she is telling me which areas to explore in nairaland as if i have the whole time in the world like her. osis, if you can get her a job, even if it's CNA, she'll definitely spend more time loving herself and may be a boo will follow before her eggs freezes over.

This girl you're bad.
TOH is her best friend maybe she can help her get a cleaning job at the subway station grin
but seriously are you engaged to an Igbo man?
Our men like "fire women" like you
A no nonsense woman that can handle anyone trying to swindle oga in his trade.
I was told that my grandpa married his second wife because the first wife was very loving and mellow
and in his Okirika business,people were cheating him,buying on credit without paying and being a kind soft hearted man,he needed a fire woman to set the customers straight.
It worked.
Re: Igbo Men And Their Mama by DeepZone: 3:40am On Nov 20, 2008
This girl you're bad.
TOH is her best friend maybe she can help her get a cleaning job at the subway station Grin
grin I bet you TOH will enslave her one time NY style. All her pay check will be channeled through TOH's account.

but seriously are you engaged to an Igbo man?
lipsrsealed

Our men like "fire women" like you
A no nonsense woman that can handle anyone trying to swindle oga in his trade.
I was told that my grandpa married his second wife because the first wife was very loving and mellow
and in his Okirika business,people were cheating him,buying on credit without paying and being a kind soft hearted man,he needed a fire woman to set the customers straight.
It worked

Could be why chimezie married my sister that hated igbos to a fault but surprised me the day he brought one home as a suitor and trust me she brought a very very handsome one with a fancy college degree.
Re: Igbo Men And Their Mama by echelon(m): 9:01pm On Nov 20, 2008
… what factor in igbo culture is responsible for the strong affinity between an igbo man and his mother?

@Poster,

After reading your initial post, the italized question of yours above caught and kept my attention. I feel as if the question is directed to me personally, so I've taken time to answer you.

It's true that Igbo culture is a men-centered one, but it's also one that recognizes and respects the role of women in the society.
If you've had the opportunity to read the novel - Things Fall Apart - you'll see this respect in operation.

Now, on a personal note, I must confess that there's this "bond" you talk of between myself and my mother. It's probably so because I'm the first and she was and still is a teacher. We'd normally have more time together after school talking,  before my father came home. She always put me through with difficult math assignments even at age 8 when I was in primary 4. She taught me how to wash plates, how to make up the bed, how to sweep the rooms, how to cook!, etc. Dad on his own part taught me driving and farming…

So I'd say the bond grew over time. Most of her advices I took always came out good. Dad's advices too.

Now as a matured man, you want me to just dash that relationship to the ground?

Moving on now to a general note, Igbos respect women very well. That is why they give their children the name: Nneka (Mother is supreme)

Where I come from, the Umuada is a high level decision making body. Even men fear them in some circumstances!

I hope I've answered your question a bit.

echelon
Re: Igbo Men And Their Mama by tamme: 11:16pm On Jul 15, 2009
I heard about it also
Re: Igbo Men And Their Mama by jona2: 9:49pm On Nov 07, 2009
;d

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Are Igbos Taking Over Lagos? / What Is 'traditional' To The Igbo? | Gịnị Bụ Omẹnàlà Na Ányá Ńdí Ìgbò? / Hausa Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.