Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,740 members, 7,844,431 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 08:58 PM

US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel (49855 Views)

Nigeria Buys Helicopters From Russia / US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel / FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by GowonAbacha: 11:53am On Sep 23, 2014
ferdimako:
Produce ur own weapons...u got the message now?
How's that ever possible looking at the state of the GDP of this country..Be realistic.
Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by driand(m): 11:55am On Sep 23, 2014
chinazaekperem2: infact, i am below 10, i dare you to tell me what s childish about my post undecided
trying to defend GEJ with Ur last breath...
Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by chinazaekperem2: 11:56am On Sep 23, 2014
driand: trying to defend GEJ with Ur last breath...
does that make me childish?
Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by CyracksMrBlogger(m): 12:00pm On Sep 23, 2014
seanet02:
America and double standards.
Isnt Saudi Arabia the number one human rights abuser in the world?
yet America supplied them billions worth of weapons every year
where is ur proof? Don't u know Obama is muslim? He likes what his muslim brothers BH are doing
Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by seanet02: 12:01pm On Sep 23, 2014
Muscomide:

Really? Given a choice between having my hand cut off or being extra-judicially shot dead by some policeman or military man, I know which one I'd prefer. It is folk like you who prevent this country moving forward.
If people could have the guts to cut off limbs and televised it,
what the hell will scare such wahabis from using humans for barbecue in secret?
Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by boujaye: 12:01pm On Sep 23, 2014
arresa:

What's baseless about the abuse, rights violation and military brutality the average Nigerian experience everyday?
You tiny freak, do you understand the subject matter at all, before oozing out Ebola viruses?? By the way i am fully covered and protected, all your boko haram like Ebola symptoms you manifest will end up only with u. UP NAIJA MILITARY! UP GEJ! ALUTA CONTINUA DE NAIJA MILITARY, DE GEJ 2019.

2 Likes

Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by kenex4ever(m): 12:01pm On Sep 23, 2014
NgeneUkwenu: Nice Move! Not when ihejirika, Sherrif, Oritsejafor and Jonadaftt are working the streets freemen!

Jonathan is just trying to justify his illegal arms dealing and money laundry mess in South Africa!

I know u r blindly hating on this govt because u r frm one village in imo state. Ur comments r always unidirectional, keep being blind, don't open ur eyes to see d changes we have always wanted, keep hating, be blind to see dat bokoharam by God's grace will soon b history! When we start singing songs of victory after defeating bokoharam then u can commit suicide silently.

2 Likes

Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by CyracksMrBlogger(m): 12:04pm On Sep 23, 2014
femmy2010: The Govt should stop fooling Nigerians jare.
If USA doesn't sell Weaponry and craft the Russians would gladly sell and even collect payment on delivery.
Instead they used a privately owned jet to move cash "supposedly" meant to procure arms from SA.
What happened to all our Military Aircraft that can be used for such a mission? What happened to our CBN moving the cash to SA for them?
Nigeria is indeed a theater of the absurd.
God Have Mercy.
exactly my questions too. So since the fight against boko haram for the past years, they have been siphoning the money to be used to buy weapon. It is now then start moving out to buy weapons abi?
Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by Nobody: 12:07pm On Sep 23, 2014
kingslly: Dats not d point ,dont distract us with dat university vs vs poly argument

Actually it is.

Because you Nigerians prefer to go to universities and polytechnics and get diplomas and degrees that qualify you for nice office jobs, and refuse to go to technical school to become technicians.....PLUS...you refuse to use your nice degrees to devise solutions to problems....that is why we are backward.

Get it?

In Germany...not everyone goes to university. Some go into technical school...to become master technicians. In Nigeria...we look down on technicians, on the people who make things, who get their hands dirty working on some engine. In Europe and Japan and China...they are the heroes.

Technical people are the guys who build your cars, houses, electrical appliances , etc. And we have a LACK of such people...because chaps like you think that having a degree and being a clerk is the be all that ends all.

3 Likes

Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by fr3do(m): 12:07pm On Sep 23, 2014
BlackTechnology:

That is why I keep insisting that we develop indigeous weapons through our university/polytechnic students project work

Oga, I share your plight, I'm writing mails to the NUC, my school's VC and heads of production and mechanical engineering.
Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by horlus(m): 12:08pm On Sep 23, 2014
Why can't we manufacture our own? South africa manufactures their own helicopters. whats stopping our industry from growing? Why can't we invest heavily in our military research? Why can't we aspire to have economic and military powers where we can stand with nations and be heard? We have all this money but it's looted everyday and flown to all parts of the world being used to develop other economy's. We like to be underdogs. Fed from under the table. Our government should wake up from their slumber and let's build this country into a well respected nation. No matter what excuse they gave us for not selling to us dosent matter the issue is our country is liked by many because of our potentials and wealth but our government is not respected and as such they dish insults to us anyhow they see it fit. Nigeria wake up
Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by CyracksMrBlogger(m): 12:09pm On Sep 23, 2014
phlemzy: America treating the largest black nation like one small Island country. There's something Obama dislikes about GEJ's personality or his style of government and he's yet to speak on it.
GEJ is corrupt, supports corruption, he is lenient and unintelligent. That's why

2 Likes

Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by kenex4ever(m): 12:11pm On Sep 23, 2014
dammytosh: Only Nigerians can believe that crap.

They are still desperately trying to justify why they flew $9Million plus cash to south africa.

I laff in spanish.

Who is dis retard?

1 Like

Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by lezz(m): 12:12pm On Sep 23, 2014
phlemzy: America treating the largest black nation like one small Island country. There's something Obama dislikes about GEJ's personality or his style of government and he's yet to speak on it.
at the risk of being labelled bias or a GEJ hater, i think the president's lack of personality and push has brought this on his government. GEJ has never for once flexed Nigeria's international muscle enough even within west africa. And he doesn't seem to have a strong , forceful personality like OBJ to court and maintain personal relationships with other world leaders.

1 Like

Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by spyx64(m): 12:12pm On Sep 23, 2014
seanet02:
America and double standards.
Isnt Saudi Arabia the number one human rights abuser in the world?
yet America supplied them billions worth of weapons every year

Bros where did you get that rating from?
Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by tk2(m): 12:13pm On Sep 23, 2014
I guess they really plan on dis integrating nigerian come 2015 but with God all tinz r possible Nigeria well be better come 2015. Make dem keep their plane jor

Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by Youpele52: 12:13pm On Sep 23, 2014

2 Likes

Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by kenex4ever(m): 12:14pm On Sep 23, 2014
femmy2010:

So you truly think the Russians would halt buying and selling cos of the Ukrainian crisis??You must be kidding me if you believe that.
You certainly think you just justified our nation's disgraceful act of not using a Military craft to ferry their million dollars to SA and not notifying the SA authority of their intention.
What makes them different from Henry Okah if a whole GOVT is thinking of buying arms in the black market?

Ur case is d case of "no one can convince a goat not to chew grass"

1 Like

Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by Koolking(m): 12:16pm On Sep 23, 2014
The Pentagon and the White House are right about their refusal to sell the 'menace of a bird' to Nigeria. On a very thoughtful approach, this is a challenge to Nigerian graduates, especially those who graduated as engineers; to sit their lazy a$$ down and think on how to make impact in this country and the world. I know a lot of peeps will argue about enabling environment in Nigeria. Cm'on folks, when there is a will, there is always a way. It's absolutely disheartening seeing graduates exerting their energies playing 196 bet instead of exerting the same energy on realistic ventures. Even when some of them have the opportunities to turn things around for better, they prefer short cuts, erroneously believing that depravation is way to go in Nigeria. Everybody wants to get rich without commensurate effort at creating wealth. Is education worth the time in this country? Where is our future?

2 Likes

Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by TheBossXL: 12:18pm On Sep 23, 2014
Sometime ago, if I'm not mistaken, it was alleged by the US that the majority of the arms used by the boko haram insurgents came from the Nigerian armory. With that in mind, u can understand the US reluctance in selling this kind of weaponry to the Nigerian army. It is a known fact that we have boko haram sympathizers in our military. Sadly enough, the GEJ administration has done nothing to address these concerns! What is the point of selling advanced weaponry to a country whose military is heavily compromised?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by femmy2010(m): 12:18pm On Sep 23, 2014
kenex4ever:

Ur case is d case of "no one can convince a goat not to chew grass"

Your's is a case of " OKPOLO EYE,NO BE OPEN EYES".
Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by kenex4ever(m): 12:18pm On Sep 23, 2014
san316: This is what i've been hammering on. One day, Nigerians will go mad due to the twisted nature of information that fly around. I just heard a pastor of CAN hyperventilating and analysing a conspiracy by the northern muslims to subjugate the christians hence, the rise of bokoharam. This notion is emotionally held by many xtians. Also, I've read other analysis pointing Bh to the southerners sponsoring chaos in the north in order to take revenge for biafra and in some other climes, destroy the north and make it easy for GEJ to continue ruling. Now it is America. America that knows and does everything. They are now those behind bh in a bid to balkanize the country. Theories upon theories. But i hope this story is not an excuse to further justify the botched arms deal. Because we all know that jet from Israel or not, there are countries that'll be willing to sell. Eg Russia etc. And by the way, recently, with the army's 'supposed' inability to buy weapons, they dealth with bokoharam. This tells us that the gov't is up to something fishy. Think Nigerians, think.

Isn't it funny dat u dat is telling us to think can't even use ur head?
Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by lezz(m): 12:18pm On Sep 23, 2014
egift:

If he want a US made Helicopter, go to the manufacturers and not a backyard deal with a third party. Also the government should come clean with their transactions to give confidence to other partners, not using a jet of a pastor to move cash.
you don't walk in to a US military hardware company and buy off their stock as you would a phone.

1 Like

Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by CyracksMrBlogger(m): 12:19pm On Sep 23, 2014
ak47mann: Due to human right abuses nigerian govt unleash on innocent citizens is the reason nigerian govt will have problems purchasing any military hardware from foreign countries,starting from Biafran war, US is just being careful because boko might one day come and bite them in their ass in future, just like other terrorist groups in the past.Nigerian people forget easily that an hausa boy could have brought an american plane down couple with a yoruba boy that beheaded a soldier in UK western world do not take things like that likely. cool

So as a proud people like nigerians, we should now allow our genus to use their God gifts and invest heavily on our local tech if tribalism will let nigeria to function like a country.Either that or our union should be look into simple cool
this is the only reasonable comment i have read here. US are just been careful with their weapons not to fall in the hands of boko haram. How do u expect US to sell their weapon to a country who cannot even secure their millitary base against terrorism? Boko haram bombard and captures millitary base in Nigeria at will.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by HopeAlive14(m): 12:21pm On Sep 23, 2014
So who is the greater enemy, now? US or BH?
Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by Balyz: 12:22pm On Sep 23, 2014
egift: Tell Jonathan to use the Front door during the day and stop climbing people backyard fence at night in search of illegal arms. grin grin grin

If they need any military gear, he should go to the manufacturers and stop the 3rd party illegal deal.
well said

1 Like

Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by chinazaekperem2: 12:24pm On Sep 23, 2014
Koolking: The Pentagon and the White House are right about their refusal to sell the 'menace of a bird' to Nigeria. On a very thoughtful approach, this is a challenge to Nigerian graduates, especially those who graduated as engineers; to sit their lazy a$$ down and think on how to make impact in this country and the world. I know a lot of peeps will argue about enabling environment in Nigeria. Cm'on folks, when there is a will, there is always a way. It's absolutely disheartening seeing graduates exerting their energies playing 196 bet instead of exerting the same energy on realistic ventures. Even when some of them have the opportunities to turn things around for better, they prefer short cuts, erroneously believing that depravation is way to go in Nigeria. Everybody wants to get rich without commensurate effort at creating wealth. Is education worth the time in this country? Where is our future?
you are right though but how does this change the fact that US isn't willing ti help nigeria and they are actually acting like an enemy?
Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by chinedugreat(m): 12:24pm On Sep 23, 2014
Because say we no sign gay marriage into LAW,una no wan sell munitions to us.GOD DEYoooo

1 Like

Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by Ghost01(m): 12:24pm On Sep 23, 2014
Russia is there, China is there, Brazil is there... Must it always be the West? The Nigerian military should better start training its wards in the use of non-West military gadgets and machines, if they haven't already. And the harassment and brutality that civilians suffer, on daily basis, in the hands of military personnels must stop!
Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by seanet02: 12:25pm On Sep 23, 2014
spyx64:

Bros where did you get that rating from?
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60b-us-saudi-arms-deal-sends-message-to-iran/

$60B U.S.-Saudi Arms Deal Sends Message to Iran
As American and Saudi officials spent months quietly hammering out a wish list for a mammoth sale of American warplanes and other weapons to the oil-rich kingdom, leaders in Iran were busy publicly displaying their advances in missiles, naval craft and air power.

In one memorable bit of political theater, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad stood under a cascade of glitter in August to unveil a drone bomber — dubbed the "ambassador of death" — that he claimed would keep foes in the region "paralyzed" on their bases.

The response by Washington and its cornerstone Arab ally, Saudi Arabia, moved a step ahead Wednesday. The Obama administration notified Congress of plans to sell as many as 84 new F-15 fighter jets, helicopters and other gear with an estimated $60 billion price tag.

The proposed deal — one of the biggest single U.S. arms sales — is clearly aimed at countering Iran's rising military might and efforts to expand its influence.

But it ties together other significant narratives in the region, including an apparent retooling of Israeli policies to tacitly support a stronger, American-armed Saudi Arabia because of common worries about Iran.

It also reinforces the Gulf as the Pentagon's front-line military network against Iran even as the U.S. sandwiches the Islamic republic with troops and bases in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"In this way, Saudi Arabia does become some sort of buffer between Israel and Iran," said Pieter Wezeman, a senior researcher at the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, a Swedish think tank that tracks arms sales.

Israel has made no diplomatic rumblings over the proposed Saudi deal — a marked contrast to almost automatic objections decades ago to Pentagon pacts with Arab nations. It's widely seen as an acknowledgment that Israel's worries over Iran and its nuclear program far outweigh any small shifts in the Israel-Arab balance of power.

Israel is moving toward a policy of "pick your fights," said Efraim Inbar, director of the Begin-Sadat Center for Strategic Studies at Bar Ilan University near Tel Aviv.

"After all," he added, "Saudi Arabia is not such a big threat to us."

And Israel does not come out of the current American arms bazaar empty handed. Earlier this month, it signed a deal to purchase 20 F-35 stealth fighters that could possibly reach Iran undetected by radar. Israel has an option for 75 more.

"This equipment is primarily to give (Israel) a better feeling facing the Iranian threat. It is not related to Israeli-Arab relations," said Inbar. "Ironically, in the current situation, Saudi Arabia is in the same strategic boat as Israel is in facing the Iranian threat."

Besides the new fighters for Saudi Arabia, the U.S. plans to upgrade an additional 70 of the kingdom's existing F-15s. State Department and Pentagon officials told lawmakers the sales also will include 190 helicopters, including Apaches and Black Hawks, as well as an array of missiles, bombs, delivery systems and accessories such as night-vision goggles and radar warning systems.

Congress has 30 days to block the deal, which was first revealed in September but has been in negotiations for months. U.S. officials say they aren't expecting significant opposition.

Iran, meanwhile, has concentrated on its missile arsenal overseen by the powerful Revolutionary Guard. Its solid-fuel Sajjil missile has a reported range of more than 1,250 miles (2,000 kilometers) — within range of Israel and all main U.S. bases in the region.

Iran's navy has staged war games in the Gulf and announced major additions to its fleet, including three Iranian-built submarines designed to operate in the Gulf's shallow waters.

It marks the Gulf as a buyer's market for arms, led by the U.S. as the dominant Western military power from Kuwait to Oman. Throughout the Gulf, Washington counts on access to Arab allies' air bases, logistics hubs and the Bahrain headquarters of America's naval powerhouse in the region — the U.S. 5th Fleet.

A report last month by the U.S. General Accountability Office said Washington approved $22 billion worth of military equipment transfers to the six Gulf Arab states between fiscal 2005 and 2009 through a Pentagon-managed program.

More than half was earmarked for Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, including a $6.5 billion deal in 2009 for the UAE to buy the Patriot missile defense system.

The UAE agreement was the largest single arms approval during the five-year period — but is dwarfed by the proposed Saudi deal.

The researcher Wezeman said Iran is clearly the top perceived threat for the Gulf Arabs, but there are background concerns about Iraq's stability and the unrest in neighboring Yemen that includes Shiite Hawthi rebels and Islamic extremists linked to al Qaeda. The Saudi military was drawn into rare fighting in northern Yemen starting late last year, using airstrikes and artillery to battle a Hawthi rebellion that was spilling across the border.

"Of course it's against Iran. Of course it's against Yemen," said Wezeman. "You can read between the lines ... but there are not any official statements about it."

Wezeman's group issued a report this month that estimates the eight nations ringing the Gulf — including rivals Iran and Saudi Arabia — accounted for 10 percent of all conventional weapons imports between 2005-2009.

The appetite was on display earlier this month when envoys from more than 50 U.S. defense and aerospace firms held talks in Abu Dhabi, where they were welcomed by the UAE's minister of foreign trade at an opulent hotel on the shores of the Gulf.

As the American defense budget tightens, the Gulf's deep pockets beckon.

"This is a critical time for our companies abroad as the U.S. defense budget continues to face pressures at home," said a statement from Lawrence Farrell, head of the National Defense Industrial Association based outside Washington.

Jane Kinninmont, a Middle East and Africa specialist at the Economist Intelligence Unit, said concerns over Iran are the primary motivation for the Saudi arms expansion. But she wonders how much the untested Gulf forces rattle Iranian commanders who are almost all veterans of the 1980-88 war with Iraq.

"I would not be surprised if the Iranians are pretty cynical about the armies here," she said during an interview in Dubai. "To put it bluntly, they've fought a war."
Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by Nobody: 12:25pm On Sep 23, 2014
GowonAbacha:
How's that ever possible looking at the state of the GDP of this country..Be realistic.
keep begging and getting conditions and shame, then.
Re: US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel by Nobody: 12:31pm On Sep 23, 2014
LOL. Anyone who believes this will actually believe anything. Why is it that it's when Ayo's Private Jet was impounded that all these propaganda now gets revealed? Bulls.hit.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Antonio Guterres & Amina Mohammed Arrive UN Headquaters In USA (Pics) / Sani Abacha Trying His Hand On A Pistol In 1984 (Throwback Photo) / Pictures From Peter Obi Rally In Osogbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.