Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,226 members, 7,825,870 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 04:06 AM

Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? (9120 Views)

Why Is Obama Soft On The ISIS? / Is Obama Likely To Win His Relection Bid In The States? / Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by bawomolo(m): 6:13pm On Nov 05, 2008
According to the African tradition a child belongs to the man's family.

this is a big lie, there are matrilineal descent systems in somalia , ghana and some other african societies. not all african cultures believe the child belongs to the man's family. obama is mixed. the one drop rule is racist and stupid considering lots of the so-called white americans have negroid blood in them.

are my relatives who look whiter than them, also mixed?

racial classification shouldn't be soley determined by skin color. obama could be culturally black but he obviously has mixed ancestry
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by JustGood(m): 6:17pm On Nov 05, 2008
tpia:

are my relatives who look whiter than them, also mixed?

if your cousins are mixed, they are mixed.
If you call them black, you should feel comfortable calling them white as well
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by JustGood(m): 6:18pm On Nov 05, 2008
bawomolo:

this is a big lie, there are matrilineal descent systems in somalia , ghana and some other african societies. not all african cultures believe the child belongs to the man's family. obama is mixed. the one drop rule is racist and stupid considering lots of the so-called white americans have negroid blood in them.

racial classification shouldn't be soley determined by skin color. obama could be culturally black but he obviously has mixed ancestry

Thank you jare

And some of us will die to help propagate the one-drop rule
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by tpia: 6:19pm On Nov 05, 2008
JustGood:

if your cousins are mixed, they are mixed.
If you call them black, you should feel comfortable calling them white as well

my relatives are not mixed.

hence my point.
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by bawomolo(m): 6:23pm On Nov 05, 2008
tpia:

hence my point.

who says africans can't be light?
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by JustGood(m): 6:26pm On Nov 05, 2008
tpia:

hence my point.

having light skin is not the same as being white. Would you then consider all albinos as whites?
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by tpia: 6:27pm On Nov 05, 2008
bawomolo:

what's the argument here? Did anyone say he doesnt have mixed ancestry?

As per African lineage structures; the point people are trying to make is: mixed people are considered as belonging to one or the other culture, not both.  In matrilineal societies, why doesnt the mixed child claim his father's side? In patrilineal cultures like Nigeria, why can't the child claim his mother's hometown?

Some facts about mixed race in different societies:

Because of the ideology of miscegenation, Brazil has avoided the polarization of Society into black and white. The bitter and sometimes violent racial tensions that divide the US are notably absent in Brazil. However the philosophy of the racial democracy in Brazil has drawn criticism from some quarters. Brazil has one of the largest gaps in income distribution in the world. The richest 10% of the population earn 28 times the average income of the bottom 40%. The richest 10 percent is almost exclusively white. One-third of the population lives under the poverty line of which blacks and other non-whites account for 70 percent of the poor.

In the US blacks earn 75% of what whites earn, in Brazil non-whites earn less than 50% of what whites earn. Some have posited that Brazil does in fact practice the one drop rule when social economic factors are considered. This because the gap income between blacks and other non-whites is relatively small compared with the large gap between whites and non-whites. Other factors such as illiteracy and education level show the same patterns.[64] Unlike in the US where African Americans were united in the civil rights struggle, in Brazil the philosophy of whitening has helped divide blacks from other non-whites and prevented a more active civil rights movement.

Non-white people also have limited media visibility. The Latin American media, in particular the Brazilian media, has been accused of hiding its black and indigenous population. For example the telenovelas or soaps are said to be a hotbed of white, largely blonde and blue/green-eyed actors who resemble Scandinavians or other northern Europeans more than they resemble the typical whites of Brazil, who are mostly of Southern European descent.

These patterns of discrimination against non-whites have led some to advocate for the use of the Portuguese term 'negro' to encompass non-whites so as to renew a black consciousness and identity, in effect an African descent rule.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_people

Mixed race in the Arab world

In general, Arab had a more positive view of black women than black men, even if the women were of slave origin. More black women were enslaved than men, and, because the Qur'an was interpreted to permit sexual relations between a male master and his female slave outside of marriage, many mixed race children resulted. When an enslaved woman became pregnant with her Arab captor's child, she became “umm walad” or “mother of a child”, a status that granted her privileged rights. The child would have prospered from the wealth of the father and been given rights of inheritance. Because of patrilineality, the children were born free and sometimes even became successors to their ruling fathers, as was the case with Sultan Ahmad al-Mansur, (whose mother was a Fulani concubine), who ruled Morocco from 1578-1608. Such tolerance, however, was not extended to wholly black persons, even when technically "free," and the notion that to be black meant to be a slave became a common belief. The term "abd," (Arabic: عبد‎,) "slave," remains a common term for black people in the Middle East, often though not always derogatory

wiki

Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by tpia: 6:32pm On Nov 05, 2008
bawomolo:

who says africans can't be light?

some Africans are light due to unknown white/Arab admixture at some point in time. Others are not, yet its sometimes hard to distinguish between the two. So can we also classify all the light ones with no obvious white ancestry, yet who still look "white", as white?

JustGood:

having light skin is not the same as being white. Would you then consider all albinos as whites?

they have white skin but they arent white. They're a different category entirely since they're not mixed race and there are also white albinos.
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by vronnie(f): 6:32pm On Nov 05, 2008
He is consider a black man because he is black his father's blood is black even though his mother is white look at him he could never walk through and be accepted as a white man so as black people go we accept our own.

Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by Gamine(f): 6:35pm On Nov 05, 2008
I believe the Correct thing to say

Obama is AFRICAN AMERICAN

infact, he is the perfect african american

Saying he is Black, is what i dont really agree to.

But in The USA, African American=Black

then Obama is Black.

Charlize Theron is African American sha, but err.,,,,,,
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by evergreen6: 6:36pm On Nov 05, 2008
gamine ur attention is needed here pls: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-192035.0.html#msg3043171
very urgent
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by kenits(m): 6:37pm On Nov 05, 2008
wow! this forum has a very vast resources, naija is blessed, all thanks to nairaland
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by Cayon(f): 6:38pm On Nov 05, 2008
the one drop rule
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by bawomolo(m): 6:39pm On Nov 05, 2008

As per African lineage structures; the point people are trying to make is: mixed people are considered as belonging to one or the other culture, not both. In matrilineal societies, why doesnt the mixed child claim his father's side? In patrilineal cultures like Nigeria, why can't the child claim his mother's hometown?

who says the child can't claim his mother's hometown? of course he/she PERSONALLY can but society would see the person in a different manner. in swahili, akan societies. a child's lineage is traced from the mothers side. it's worrisome why people find it hard to see obama as mixed.

So can we also classify all the light ones with no obvious white ancestry, yet who still look "white", as white?

how does someone with negroid features(kinda generalizing) look "white". i doubt most of the yellow popo's in nigeria would pass for europeans. you can't call yourself white if you can't trace your european ancestry.
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by kooldamsel(f): 6:41pm On Nov 05, 2008
Obama is black alright but do you know he actually isnt the first black president?Thomas jefferson,Abraham lincoln and 3 other ex-american presidents had black blood in their veins.Obama is only being called the first black president because he is the first black president to acknowledge his black ancestry and he has a dark skin.Abraham lincolns skin was also kinda black but he did not openly acknowledge their black heritage.
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by bawomolo(m): 6:43pm On Nov 05, 2008
Thomas jefferson,Abraham lincoln and 3 other ex-american presidents had black blood in their veins.

Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by kooldamsel(f): 6:58pm On Nov 05, 2008
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by ikeyman00(m): 7:24pm On Nov 05, 2008
this is a gay thread!

gay section!
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by tpia: 8:26pm On Nov 05, 2008
bawomolo:

who says the child can't claim his mother's hometown? of course he/she PERSONALLY can but society would see the person in a different manner. in swahili, akan societies. a child's lineage is traced from the mothers side. it's worrisome why people find it hard to see obama as mixed.

how does someone with negroid features(kind of generalizing) look "white". i doubt most of the yellow popo's in nigeria would pass for europeans. you can't call yourself white if you can't trace your european ancestry.

no, a child doesnt normally claim his mother's hometown unless there's more to it, in a place like Nigeria.

and what you're calling Negroid features, arent common to all negroes. There are negroes with dark skin and European/Semitic features- check out Senegalese, Malian, and some Fulani (not only the Nigerian ones).   Likewise, not all biracials are very light skinned: some are also dark.

And there are light skinned blacks who don't have overly "negroid" features. The problem is at least in the western world, when blacks have light features, they can trace it to some white ancestry. But for many Africans with the same skin type and features, they have no way of tracking their own.

Not all blacks have thick lips, flat nose and broad faces, though many do.

We're still at an impasse here. You want mixed race people to be white instead of black, and I'm asking how is that possible.
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by ilaugh1: 9:58pm On Nov 05, 2008
now i can see there are more fools on NairaLand.

The question still remains un answered - Mr Tipia - why cant they be called white if they are 50 50?
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by afrodiziaq(f): 10:42pm On Nov 05, 2008
i_laugh:

now i can see there are more fools on NairaLand.

The question still remains un answered - Mr Tipia - why can't they be called white if they are 50 50?

which kin stupid retarded question be this ? how many people have answered you. aside from the fact that the man identifies as black, and that people have shown you multiple pictures of his family (black as well by the way) you still insist on asking this asinine question.

if he lived a few hundred years ago he wld have been a slave! does that answer your question?!
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by ikeyman00(m): 12:58am On Nov 06, 2008
@ poster

ashawe like u. do u know ryan gigs of man-u got 35% black gene yet he still white i guess, surprise he dnt talk about it

so wat next F1 fixed yea?
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by chiogo(f): 1:36am On Nov 06, 2008
KarmaMod is right in saying that once you have a pint of black blood in you, you're considered black in America but is that still so? That was back in the segregation days and I believe that was ruled out along with the 'Separate but equal' act.

To answer the poster's question, personally, I think it's due to the whole male superiority belief blacks especially Africans have. For example, Africans believe a child is from wherever its father is from. That's just crap because the male gene is not always dominant in a child. A child inherits 23 chromosomes from each parents at birth. I still don't get why a mixed race child is called black especially if the father is the black one instead of being recognized as mixed.

Obama being recognized as black has nothing to do with white racism. If not, he would never have gotten a quarter of the votes he got from whites - they also recognize him as one of theirs. Obama being black is a mentality established by black people, I guess it stems from the slavery thing. They kind of accepted the white man's idea that once u have a tiny blood of black, you're black even though that mentality has long been abolished.

To me, Obama ain't no black. He is African-American though, in the sense that his father is African and his mother is American. That makes him an African-American but then again, it depends on the way u see the term, African-American.
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by ilaugh1: 1:40am On Nov 06, 2008
chiogo:

KarmaMod is right in saying that once you have a pint of black blood in you, you're considered black in America but is that still so? That was back in the segregation days and I believe that was ruled out along with the 'Separate but equal' act.

To answer the poster's question, personally, I think it's due to the whole male superiority belief blacks especially Africans have. For example, Africans believe a child is from wherever it's father is from. That's just crap because the male gene is not always dominant in a child. A child inherits 23 chromosomes from each parents at birth. I still don't get why a mixed race child is called black especially if the father is the black one instead of being recognized as mixed.

Obama being recognized as black has nothing to do with white racism. If not, he would never have gotten a quarter of the votes he got from whites - they also recognize him as one of theirs. Obama being black is a mentality established by black people, I guess it stems from the slavery thing. They kind of accepted the white man's idea that once u have a tiny blood of black, you're black even though that mentality has long been abolished.

To me, Obama ain't no black. He is African-American though, in the sense that his father is African and his mother is American. That makes him an African-American, in my opinion. Depends on the way u see the term, African-American.

You are a perfect example of age is not wisdom - the other fools that have tried to answer the question are like three times your age, but in their foolishness, they havent seen my question, they have taken their deek or pussie in hand while attempting to answer the question.

Some say its because his Dad is black, hence they call him black, i ask them, what of people with white fathers, and they are still referred to as black, then, they have no answer to that - they scratch their butt hole and sniff it as if they can find answers in the sniffing - fools.
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by bawomolo(m): 1:56am On Nov 06, 2008
We're still at an impasse here. You want mixed race people to be white instead of black, and I'm asking how is that possible.

i want mixed race people to be what they are. mixed race. is mariah careh black??
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by tpia: 3:02am On Nov 06, 2008
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by tpia: 3:23am On Nov 06, 2008
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by tpia: 3:32am On Nov 06, 2008
another "white" according to i-laugh and his compatriots

(ANY OF HER FEATURES LOOK FAMILIAR?):

her white mother, Natalya Goncharova

as if say oyibo dey blind. undecided
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by tpia: 3:49am On Nov 06, 2008
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by folkzy(f): 5:46am On Nov 06, 2008
Well he is black because of his dad and also using the term 'mixed race' is now seen as a derogatory term but there is no other word that is better to use for now. However, it is justed that mixed race people should be identified for example, a child who is scottish and Jamaican mixed, the child should be introduced as Child B is a scottish heirtage and and a jamaican heritage, mum is scottish and dad is Jamaican, People will want to know more about the child's /the person's identity. That is the way OBAMA was seen and he is still seen but as we know that the media influneces us and the way our society is, if you are born by a black man and you look like a black person, you are considered black.

No need to argue this issue, as someone suggested, how come nobody said anything about Alicia Keys, Hally Berry and the new Formula 1 champion -Lewis Hamilton.
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by sexyLeamon(f): 8:22am On Nov 06, 2008
now this is for you. . . i_laugh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lmao good one grin

@topic why are you guys still arguing? undecided as some one said, as long as you have a drop of black blood in you, you are consider black
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by Nobody: 9:27am On Nov 06, 2008
that picture of Obama's family is so cute. Who cares if he's black, he's God sent! Am glad he won, he deserves it. But this kin thing no fit happen for 9ja jo. No outsider go fit win Nigerian President election. if e no dey PDP, e no fit win. 9ja pple no go ever learn to do things the right way haba!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Saddam Hussein Sentenced To Death By Hanging / John Mahama Wins Presidential Primaries To Run In 2020 Election / ECOWAS Delegation Arrives In Burkina Faso

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.