Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,326 members, 7,815,645 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:52 PM

Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson (19626 Views)

Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! / An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists / Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by kittykat1(f): 7:46pm On Sep 24, 2014
Harry Porter's, Emma Watson gives an insightful speech on feminism. A refreshing view point.

“Today, we are launching a campaign called HeForShe. I am reaching out to you before we need your help. We want to end gender inequality and to do this, we need everyone involved. This is the first campaign of its kind at the UN. We want to try to galvanise as many men and boys as possible to be advocates for change and we don’t just want to talk about it. We want to try and make sure that it’s tangible.”

“I was appointed as Goodwill Ambassador for U.N. Women six months ago and the more I’ve spoken about feminism, the more I have realised that fighting for women’s rights has too often become synonymous with man-hating. If there is one thing I know for certain, it is that this has to stop.”

“For the record, feminism, by definition, is the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. It is the theory of the political, economic and social equality of the sexes. I started questioning gender-based assumptions a long time ago.”

“When I was 8, I was confused about being called ‘bossy’ because I wanted to direct the plays that we would put on for our parents. But the boys were not. When at 14, I started to be sexualised by certain elements of the media, when at 15, my girlfriends started dropping out of their beloved sports teams, because they didn’t want to appear ‘muscle-y,’ when at 18, my male friends were unable to express their feelings, I decided that I was a feminist. And this seems uncomplicated to me. But my recent research has shown me that feminism has become an unpopular word.”

“Women are choosing not to identify as feminists. Apparently, I am among the ranks of women whose expressions are seen as too strong, ‘too aggressive,’ isolating and anti-men, unattractive, even. Why has the word become such an uncomfortable one?”

“I am from Britain and I think it is right that I am paid the same as my male counterparts. I think it is right that I should be able to make decisions about my own body, I think [applause break] ... I think it is right that women be involved on my behalf in the policies and the decisions that affect my life. I think it is right that socially, I am afforded the same respect as men.”

“But sadly, I can say that there is no one country in the world where all women can expect to receive these rights. No country in the world can yet say that they have achieved gender equality. These rights, I consider to be human rights but I am one of the lucky ones, my life is a sheer privilege because my parents didn’t love me less because I was born a daughter. My school did not limit me because I was a girl. My mentors didn’t assume that I would go less far because I might give birth to a child one day. These influencers are the gender equality ambassadors that made me who I am today.”

“They may not know it, but they are the inadvertent feminists who are changing the world today. We need more of those and if you still hate the word, it is not the word that is important. It’s the idea and the ambition behind it. Because not all women have received the same rights that I have. In fact, statistically, very few have been.”

“In 1997, Hillary Clinton made a famous speech in Beijing about women’s rights. Sadly, many of the things that she wanted to change are still true today. But what stood out for me the most was that less than 30 per cent of the audience were male. How can we affect change in the world when only half of it is invited or feel welcome to participate in the conversation?”

“Men, I would like to take this opportunity to extend your formal invitation.” [Applause break] “Gender equality is your issue too. Because to date, I’ve seen my father’s role as a parent being valued less by society despite my needing his presence, as a child, as much as my mother’s. I’ve seen young men suffering from mental illness, unable to ask for help, for fear it would make them less of a man. In fact, in the U.K., suicide is the biggest killer of men, between 20 to 49, eclipsing road accidents, cancer and coronary heart disease. I’ve seen men made fragile and insecure by a distorted sense of what constitutes male success. Men don’t have the benefits of equality, either.”

“We don’t want to talk about men being imprisoned by gender stereotypes but I can see that they are. When they are free, things will change for women as a natural consequence. If men don’t have to be aggressive, women won’t be compelled to be submissive. If men don’t need to control, women won’t have to be controlled.”

“It is time that we all see gender as a spectrum instead of two sets of opposing ideals. We should stop defining each other by what we are not and start defining ourselves by who we are. We can all be freer and this is what HeForShe is about. It’s about freedom. I want men to take up this mantle so their daughters, sisters and mothers can be free from prejudice but also so their sons have permission to be vulnerable and human, too and in doing so, be a more true and complete version of themselves.”

“You might think, ‘Who is this Harry Potter girl? What is she doing at the U. N.?’ And it’s a really good question — I’ve been asking myself the same thing. All I know is that I care about this problem and I want to make it better. And having seen what I’ve seen and given the chance, I feel my responsibility to say something. Statesman Edmund Burke said all that is needed for the forces of evil to triumph is for good men and women to do nothing.”

“In my nervousness for this speech and my moments of doubt, I’ve told myself firmly, ‘If not me, who? If not now, when?’ If you have similar doubts when opportunities are presented to you, I hope that those words will be helpful because the reality is, if we do nothing, it will take 75 years or for me, to be nearly 100, before women can expect to be paid the same as men for the same work — 15.5 million girls will be married in the next 16 years as children and at current rates, it won’t be until 2086 before all rural African girls can have a secondary education.”

“If you believe in equality, you might be one of those inadvertent feminists that I spoke of earlier and for this, I applaud you. We are struggling for a uniting word but the good news is that we have a uniting movement. It is called HeForShe. I am inviting you to step forward to be seen and to ask yourself, ‘If not me, who? If not now, when?’ Thank you very, very much.”

53 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by jorhney(m): 7:58pm On Sep 24, 2014
hmm
Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by egopersonified(f): 8:15pm On Sep 24, 2014
This is a topic for spreading mat. #following.
Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by cococandy(f): 8:52pm On Sep 24, 2014
Where's edwife with that her funny seat gif grin cool
Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by edwife(f): 9:10pm On Sep 24, 2014
cococandy: Where's edwife with that her funny seat gif grin cool

Not now darling,

Bye for now grin grin cool

17 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by cococandy(f): 9:14pm On Sep 24, 2014
The wig is a whole seperate person grin
edwife:

Not now darling,

Bye for now grin grin cool

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by okotv(m): 10:16pm On Sep 24, 2014
sorry Emma Watson but this is pure crap....unto the next one...by the way -isms movements are as dangerous as hell

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Janedoe26(f): 11:18pm On Sep 24, 2014
n

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Nobody: 11:18pm On Sep 24, 2014
Seated.
Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by tmosco(m): 11:21pm On Sep 24, 2014
As long as man and woman are not equal,gender equality cannot be achieved.

5 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by kittykat1(f): 12:11am On Sep 25, 2014
tmosco: As long as man and woman are not equal,gender equality cannot be achieved.
Did u read the article at all? Abi u still want to keep spewing d age long hate clichés

12 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by greatgod2012(f): 3:06am On Sep 25, 2014
Thank you Emma Watson!

But one thing i am sure of is that some posters will not read this wonderful piece before jumping into their usual conclusion that feminists are this, feminists are that.

Well as Harry Porter said......"if not me, who, if not now,when?"

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by tracyfemmmm: 4:50am On Sep 25, 2014
Beautiful article i gave her a thumps up.Not like other people that are afraid to say they are feminists.#team feminism and proud. kiss

11 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Nobody: 4:55am On Sep 25, 2014
Applause
Thank you Emma. This is What feminism is truly about equal rights for all not hate of any gender, thank you defining it for us.

For the close minded, you may not understand it but we all suffer the consequence if an unequal society. Men who are not able to emotionally express themselves, fathers who are told they shouldn't spend too much time with Their kids and miss the bonding experience . Men who Suffer abuse in silence, men who are publicly ridiculed for being hit by Women. These are All consequences of inequality

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by babygirlfl: 5:27am On Sep 25, 2014
Nice speech. The only problem is that some people will rather give feminism another bad definition to make it look bad.

3 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by oseiwe(m): 5:38am On Sep 25, 2014
I thought Emma Watson was the girl in spiderman. But all this young girls shouting for women empowerment will still turn around looking for a man to answer his name.
Make I no just talk pass this one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by justi4jesu(f): 6:18am On Sep 25, 2014
Emma Watson kiss kiss kiss

5 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by CharlieMaria(m): 6:20am On Sep 25, 2014
Ookk

1 Like

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Nobody: 6:21am On Sep 25, 2014
I think feminists are heartbroken cowards who are very much afraid of going through the previous bad experience they once had.

20 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Tallesty1(m): 6:21am On Sep 25, 2014
I wanted to pass when I saw the heading of this post because I hate Feminism but on a second thought I decided to give reading it a shot. This Emma Watson is making sense in a way but using feminism instead of "Equal Rights Movement" Is Where she got it wrong.

This two bodies claim to fight for thesame thing but they are not thesame.

The Equal Rights Movements wanted things such as the right to vote and more equality in the work force, a law against domestic violence, maternity leave, equal pay and a law agains sexual harassment and sexual violence.

Feminism is a movement started by men hating, lazy, angry and demonic women.(sorry I'm loose with words sometimes). Feminism arose from the extreme fustrations of women who wanted additional and unnecessary freedoms like abortion, etc.

Ever wondered why Woman A's feminism is not always Woman B's feminism?? That is because they confuse equal right movement with feminism.

I hate feminism because it has failed to acknowledgment that there is any inequality that oppresses men, and they are hell bent on keeping this oppression.

I hate feminism because they tend to want equality only when it benefits them. Their money is their money but their husbands money is for the two of them yet they claim equality. To hit a woman is wrong but to hit a man is self defense.

I hate feminism because they actively seek to overthrow any vestige of male dominance in society, to the point of opposing the biblical roles of husbands and wives, defending abortionon demand, and promoting lesbianism.

I hate feminism because it is based in arrogance, and it is the opposite of the call to the born-again believer to be a servant.

I hate feminsim because they are breaking up the traditional role of the woman in a family and society. It also causes confusion among men and women as to where they stand in the family that's why you hear people say my husband is the head and I'm the neck. I could go on and on but lemme stop here.

To The Christian Feminist. Please think twice. Feminism is from the pit of hell. God outlines the roles of women and men as different but equally as important. He created us different physically, emotionally. Men and women can never be equal. You can say 2 + 2 = 5 if you want to, but the truth is intolerant... 2 + 2 will always equal 4. Don't allow end time teachers to tell you otherwise.

While equal right movement is fighting for all of us, Feminist is attacking men, marriage and promoting lesbianism and being single.

The tussle for power in marriage is completely unnecessary. And before you start thinking that Tallesty likes to oppress women, lemme clear you. NO he doesn't. Tallesty believes in equality as much as anyone, but WITHIN the teachings of the Word of God.

It is sin in the heart that causes inequality. It is sin that causes men to treat women in ways that are meant to demean or objectify them. And it is sin that seeks counterfeit solutions to counteract these inequalities. The only true cure for inequality is obedience to God’s Word. If men and women would walk in obedience to God’s Word then their won't be a need to for feminism or equal right movement.

94 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by timilehing(m): 6:24am On Sep 25, 2014
As long as ladies/women want to remain a satellite decoder guys/men must be recharging at intervals to assess services, gender equality can never happen.
or
As long as women wants to remain a card holder & men will be the ATM machine, gender equality is a dream that won't come true

8 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Dygeasy(m): 6:24am On Sep 25, 2014

1 Like

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Harmthe(m): 6:26am On Sep 25, 2014
tank God i still got a space on d front page
Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Opiosko: 6:26am On Sep 25, 2014
Honestly i don't see any new idea here. Feminism should not be a man hating revenge mission...we have been shouting that since... No sex is greater or better than the other one but we have our natural predefined roles for both sex. Feminism is confused idea for confused people.

8 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Clone2020(m): 6:26am On Sep 25, 2014
Not a fan of emma

2 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by timilehing(m): 6:28am On Sep 25, 2014
tmosco: As long as man and woman are not equal,gender equality cannot be achieved.
Let me reframe it for you
As long as Men are called Male, Women are called Female, there will never be gender equality

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by RoyalRoy(m): 6:28am On Sep 25, 2014
Interesting.
Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by CashNaira96: 6:33am On Sep 25, 2014
intresting... Am intrigued
Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by nymphomaniac(m): 6:33am On Sep 25, 2014
Try as u may, hermione, men will still rule. Harry potter will still be the hero not u

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by danaiks(m): 6:34am On Sep 25, 2014

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" / World’s Oldest Mother Gave Birth At Almost 70 / “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.