Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,217 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:24 AM

Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! (2309 Views)

Wonders Shall Never End: Court Awards Custody Of Daughter To Boyfriend / Father Commits Suicide After Seeing Nude Photo Of Daughter On Magazine / Parents Learn Of Daughter’s Death On Facebook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by StealthyMe(m): 11:24pm On Sep 24, 2014
A top international financier quit his job running a$2 trillion investment fund after his daughter wrote him a note complaining he had missed her first day of school, her Halloween parade and her first game of soccer.

Mohamed El-Erian's daughter wrote him a note complaining that he had missed out on 22 landmarks in her life because he was too busy at work.The California based investment guru resigned from Pimco, who have more than $2 trillion invested, after his daughter sent him a note outlining 22 milestones he had missed from her life.

After receiving the letter from the 10-year-old, El-Erian handed in his notice which was a shock to the investment world.In an interview with Worth, El-Erian explained his decision.He said,
'About a year ago, I asked my daughter several times to do something—brush her teeth, I think it was—with no success. I reminded her that it was not so long ago that she would have immediately responded, and I wouldn’t have had to ask her multiple times; she would have known from my tone of voice that I was serious.'She asked me to wait a minute, went to her room and came back with a piece of paper. It was a list that she had compiled of her important events and activities that I had missed due to work commitments.

Talk about a wake-up call. 'The list contained 22 items, from her first day at school and first soccer match of the season to a parent-teacher meeting and a Halloween parade. And the school year wasn’t yet over.I felt awful and got defensive: I had a good excuse for each missed event! Travel, important meetings, an urgent phone call, sudden to-do.'But it dawned on me that I was missing an infinitely more important point. As much as I could rationalize it—as I had rationalized it—my work-life balance had gotten way out of whack, and the imbalance was hurting my very special relationship with my daughter. I was not making nearly enough time for her.

'El-Erian said he was spending far too much time away from his home while working for PIMCO.Since resigning, he said he and his wife take turns in waking up their daughter, preparing her breakfast and bringing her to school.He said he is also planning a holiday just for the pair of them.
El-Erian said instead of one, full-time position, he has taken a 'portfolio' of part-time roles which require far less travelling and allow him greater flexibility.He said that he even now had time to pick up his daughter from school.

Speaking to Bloomberg after his resignation, El-Erian said, ' I've gone through a transition after 14 great years with Pimco and I've put together a portfolio of part-time activities that I'm really excited about. I'm also really excited to spend more time with my family and my daughter.
'He later told Reuters, 'If I had known that there would be this media circus, I would've done a lot of things differently.'Was there a way of not going 100 miles an hour and maybe going 50 miles an hour? To be perfectly honest, I didn't explore that option. I never explored.' El-Erian said wanting to spend more time with his family is a cliche but he decided that his need to be a good father was greater than his desire to be a good investor.'He decided that he had to readjust his work-life balance in May 2013 after receiving the note from his daughter.

In an interview with Reuters, El-Erian refused to comment on his former boss Bill Gross, only describing the 70-year-old as brilliant.Since leaving Pimco, El-Erian has become the chief economic adviser at Allianz where he spends 50 per cent of his time.

Just Excellent i must say !

SOURCE

8 Likes

Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by tpia1: 11:37pm On Sep 24, 2014
Two trillion?
Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by Nobody: 11:40pm On Sep 24, 2014
Well that is what I call love .

5 Likes

Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by Nobody: 11:44pm On Sep 24, 2014
Elantracey: Well that is what I call love .
dollars!!!!!! As in $$$ kaching!

Dis one nah jazz it no normal at all.
Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by StealthyMe(m): 11:48pm On Sep 24, 2014
Some people know the essence of fatherly love....as Joy & Hapiness of his daughter cannot be bought

5 Likes

Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by tpia1: 11:59pm On Sep 24, 2014
If na my papa it can be bought o.
Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by StealthyMe(m): 12:15am On Sep 25, 2014
tpia1: If na my papa it can be bought o.

lol...it'll reach a head one day
Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by Nobody: 12:16am On Sep 25, 2014
I don't gerrit!! Why quite the job? This can't happen in naija.
At the age of 10, if my dad travels its like a public holiday for me.

2 Likes

Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by StealthyMe(m): 12:20am On Sep 25, 2014
urhoboman: I don't gerrit!! Why quite the job? This can't happen in naija.

You know all this oyinbo children....plus dad was on full time so she only got to see him sparingly
Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by sammieguze(m): 3:18am On Sep 25, 2014
Hmmmm.... So touching
Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by missdebs(f): 3:48am On Sep 25, 2014
in d next 10 years he wont regret dis decision
Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by flyca: 4:10am On Sep 25, 2014
Has the company filled his position? I'm interested
Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by Nobody: 5:04am On Sep 25, 2014
His daughter won't stay on pause, she will grow up and he will grow old probably retired then, longing for attention then but there will be none because the bonding stage has passed. If fathers from that age will teach their daughter through acts of love like this that money is not everything and money can't buy her love. He could have bought her an expensive toy instead but he gave something more valuable his heart and time, this made me cry

5 Likes

Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by bellong: 7:00am On Sep 25, 2014
aisha2: His daughter won't stay on pause, she will grow up and he will grow old probably retired then, longing for attention then but there will be none because the bonding stage has passed. If fathers from that age will teach their daughter through acts of love like this that money is not everything and money can't buy her love. He could have bought her an expensive toy instead but he gave something more valuable his heart and time, this made me cry

Hands her handkerchief.... cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by Nobody: 7:00am On Sep 25, 2014
aisha2: His daughter won't stay on pause, she will grow up and he will grow old probably retired then, longing for attention then but there will be none because the bonding stage has passed. If fathers from that age will teach their daughter through acts of love like this that money is not everything and money can't buy her love. He could have bought her an expensive toy instead but he gave something more valuable his heart and time, this made me cry
why? Is it cus u know someone suffering d same fate?
Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by StealthyMe(m): 7:27am On Sep 25, 2014
missdebs: in d next 10 years he wont regret dis decision

Not in anyway....the girl would /should respect the father forever if only because of this
Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by StealthyMe(m): 7:28am On Sep 25, 2014

#WORD !
Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by Greenified(m): 8:02am On Sep 25, 2014
missdebs: in d next 10 years he wont regret dis decision
U mean 100yrs?
Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by okotv(m): 1:28pm On Sep 25, 2014
let fatherly love continue
Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by adet991(f): 1:44pm On Sep 25, 2014
Oyinbo pikin dey spoil sha btw my dad can do that for me too.
Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by Tallesty1(m): 1:45pm On Sep 25, 2014
Elantracey: Well that is what I call love .
Strong one my dear.

Pastor Chris needs to read this.

2 Likes

Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by Sehindemi(f): 1:50pm On Sep 25, 2014
flyca: Has the company filled his position? I'm interested

cheesy
Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by okotv(m): 2:06pm On Sep 25, 2014
Tallesty1: Strong one my dear.

Pastor Chris needs to read this.
Haba..leave Chris alone now
Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by naijathings(m): 2:53pm On Sep 25, 2014
I bet the mother has a hand in writing that note. Women and their ways..

But the dad did the right thing especially being the wise investor that he is. Money is not enough to invest in your children's life.
It is not always about school fees and latest toys. Any kid can have a toy to play with but not every kid has a father. Some Mothers are also guilty of negligence.
Don't lose the love of your family for something as common as money.

1 Like

Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by dagreen14: 3:01pm On Sep 25, 2014
urhoboman: I don't gerrit!! Why quite the job? This can't happen in naija.

The OP didnt complete the news...i just read it on Daily Mail that:

PIMCO and its owner, Allianz, confirmed the probe after a report in the Wall Street Journal said the SECURITIES investigation into the $3.6 billion exchange-traded fund has been going on for at least a year but has picked up pace in recent weeks
Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by tpia1: 3:59pm On Sep 25, 2014
well, the only question is how is nigeria involved because we can all guess nigerians are also eating some of this pie.
Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by bloglover(m): 4:01pm On Sep 25, 2014
wow! there's is always need for that family bond at a young age so that the child can easily open up to u in the future,

discuss certain issues with u that most children would rather discuss with friends.

As a child u won't be afraid to take risks that will lead to a personal bright future because u know your parents support u all the way

lack of fatherly bond from the onset makes the child stay very far from u in the future
Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by StealthyMe(m): 10:09am On Sep 26, 2014
naijathings: I bet the mother has a hand in writing that note. Women and their ways..

But the dad did the right thing especially being the wise investor that he is. Money is not enough to invest in your children's life.
It is not always about school fees and latest toys. Any kid can have a toy to play with but not every kid has a father. Some Mothers are also guilty of negligence.
Don't lose the love of your family for something as common as money.

Your Child/Children would most certainly be proud of their father ! cheesy
Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by naijathings(m): 10:44am On Sep 26, 2014
StealthyMe:

Your Child/Children would most certainly be proud of their father ! cheesy

May good fortune, wisdom and strength not fail us in handling our family and friends. Amen.

1 Like

Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by Nobody: 12:29pm On Sep 26, 2014
Have we ruled out the 'remote control' scenario? grin

1 Like

Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by StealthyMe(m): 5:56pm On Sep 26, 2014
naijathings:

May good fortune, wisdom and strength not fail us in handling our family and friends. Amen.

A big Amen to that!
Re: Father Quits $2 Trillion Firm Because Of Daughter! by Nobody: 8:14pm On Sep 26, 2014
Nigerian man fit do this one ? Akuko uwa. Na to chop Isi ewu, drink beer, sneak enter house by 2 am dem sabi .dem no even know Wetin be PTA meeting.

Still 99%. Never changes

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Married Folks, How Long Did You Court Before Tying The Knots? / My Landlord Is An Armed Robber / Michael Jackson's Son Talks About His Late Father- See Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.