Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,285 members, 7,818,960 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:00 AM

Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms (1723 Views)

Protesters Storm NASS Over Edo $75m Loan Request / Buhari Writes Saraki On $75million Edo State Loan Request / Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by Omooba77: 1:32pm On Sep 25, 2014
The Senate on Thursday approved President Goodluck Jonathan’s request of $1bn external loan to fight the ongoing insurgency in the country.

The decision was taken following the submission of the report of the Senate Joint Committee on Finance and that of Local and Foreign Debt by the Chairman, Senator Ahmed Makarfi.

Makarfi said the loan request was not in cash but supply of military hardware to be paid for, over seven years.

He said the interest terms rate could not be indicated because it was the suppliers of the military hardware that would negotiate such agreement.

He said, “Also, the request is for a ceiling of $1bn and not that, at the moment, the whole amount would be utilised.

“Government will procure on the terms stated, based on needs assessment of our security agencies.”

There was however, a mild drama on the floor of the red chamber when Senate President, David Mark; his deputy, Ike Ekweremadu; and Makarfi urged their colleagues not to subject the report to a debate because of its security implications.

But the Senate Minority Leader, Senator George Akume; Senator Olubunmi Adetunmbi; and Babafemi Ojudu laboured in vain to frustrate the approval of the loan.

Adetunmbi quoted relevant sections of the Nigerian constitution to argue that the loan request contradicted the Appropriation Act, and Fiscal Responsibility Act.

He further argued that Jonathan should have requested for the loan through a supplementary appropriation bill.

However, Makarfi clarified that Adetunmbi’s arguments were not relevant to the matter because the loan was not in cash.

He said the National Assembly would be contacted by the executive for necessary appropriation whenever it was time to repay the loan in cash.

Mark therefore called for a voice vote to determine the approval or rejection of the loan.

Members of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party in the upper chamber voted in support while their counterpart in the All Progressives Congress voted against it.

http://www.punchng.com/news/senate-okays-jonathans-1bn-loan-request-for-arms/

1 Like

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by Omooba77: 1:33pm On Sep 25, 2014
Owo ibo don come.......................
Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by Nobody: 1:35pm On Sep 25, 2014
Omooba77: Owo ibo don come.......................
Meaning ?

1 Like

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by omenka(m): 1:36pm On Sep 25, 2014
Ohhhhh!! These people make me sick! I wish someone could just detonate an atomic bomb right in the middle of the Three Arms Zone so we can completely rid ourselves of these bunch of crooks and usurpers!!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by gratieao: 1:37pm On Sep 25, 2014
Hope they will use the money for Arms and not for campaign and sharing.
Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by Aliyeous(m): 1:39pm On Sep 25, 2014
$1bn 4 campaign i guess

1 Like

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by Nnewi1stSon: 1:44pm On Sep 25, 2014
gringrin 2015 is in the bag already! APC would have to do more than slander Jonathan in online and print media if they hope to usurp him come valentine's day next year cheesy
Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by luvmijeje(f): 1:47pm On Sep 25, 2014
It's well. Agreed PDP is useless but what about APC? What's the job of the opposition in the senate? They're both useless.
Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by lilprinze: 1:52pm On Sep 25, 2014
$1 billion shocked How many arms have they bought with the money they have ?
They would definitely loot the money and they would end up buying no or fake weapons.
Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by Nobody: 1:52pm On Sep 25, 2014
I hope they put the money to good use. Bunch of crooks! Damn! This people makes me sick.....half of that money will never be used for what they're meant for. That's the plain truth...and it hurts.
Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by Aitee1: 1:53pm On Sep 25, 2014
Too much money in this country yet they refuse to grant me just one million to start my own biz... cry cry cry

2 Likes

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by NgeneUkwenu(f): 1:55pm On Sep 25, 2014
1Billion Dollars Approved for Patience Jonathan to prosecute Rivers State Governorship election!

Yeye people!

2 Likes

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by iamodenigbo1(m): 1:59pm On Sep 25, 2014
finally,
Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by jmoore(m): 2:00pm On Sep 25, 2014
APC + PDP + other senators approved it.

To your tents everyone.

We have no business borrowing.
Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by Nnewi1stSon: 2:02pm On Sep 25, 2014
With this new development, the bokos and their political backers should prepare to be united with their virgins in Paradise...cheesy
Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by Obynobyl(m): 2:03pm On Sep 25, 2014
Nigeria will get better one day, I sincerely believe so.
Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by Nobody: 2:04pm On Sep 25, 2014
Aitee1: Too much money in this country yet they refuse to grant me just one million to start my own biz... cry cry cry
lmao! You go fear lamentation grin
Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by gratieao: 2:08pm On Sep 25, 2014
NgeneUkwenu: 1Billion Dollars Patience Jonathan to prosecute Rivers Governorship election!

Yeye people!
$1 billion was approved by Nigeria senate not PDP remember
Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by Omooba77: 2:16pm On Sep 25, 2014
How many years will this one be repaid; our future being mortgaged................. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked cry cry cry
Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by Mekateka: 2:24pm On Sep 25, 2014
omenka: Ohhhhh!! These people make me sick! I wish someone could just detonate an atomic bomb right in the middle of the Three Arms Zone so we can completely rid ourselves of these bunch of crooks and usurpers!!
is the money your father's money? Imagine a foreigner from Niger Republic ranting nonsense about Nigeria. No be ur fault o, na Lord Lugard useless amalgamation caused am
Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by theassassin: 2:40pm On Sep 25, 2014
NgeneUkwenu: 1Billion Dollars Approved for Patience Jonathan to prosecute Rivers State Governorship election!

Yeye people!

that's why you are and remain a she-male for life
Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by arresa: 2:44pm On Sep 25, 2014
Oil rich Nation with $6 billion military budget is borrowing $1 billion to what the military didn't do because the military crooks embezzled the money and starved their services and men in uniform.

Still, no accountability and instead, the crooked service chiefs all bagged National awards courtesy of their equally crooked and corrupt commander in chief.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by glory2glory: 2:58pm On Sep 25, 2014
So what about the seized 9.3m dollars? I thought that was for arms to fight BH? These politicians are gradually running down this country, and all we do is cheer them on.
Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by kel4soft: 2:58pm On Sep 25, 2014
luvmijeje: It's well. Agreed PDP is useless but what about APC? What's the job of the opposition in the senate? They're both useless.

Can you fault APC herel? Just point one thing they did wrong here.

1 Like

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by glory2glory: 2:58pm On Sep 25, 2014
arresa: Oil rich Nation with $6 billion military budget is borrowing $1 billion to what the military didn't do because the military crooks embezzled the money and starved their services and men in uniform.

Still, no accountability and instead, the crooked service chiefs all bagged National awards courtesy of their equally crooked and corrupt commander in chief.

I wonder.
Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by kel4soft: 3:00pm On Sep 25, 2014
gratieao:
$1 billion was approved by Nigeria senate not PDP remember

Yes, but is on record, APC senators voted against it.

1 Like

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by Nobody: 3:02pm On Sep 25, 2014
Dude needs some though for his political ambitions come 2015
Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by sirjohnson(m): 3:06pm On Sep 25, 2014
Some people are deceiving us and we are folding our arms
Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by Omooba77: 3:25pm On Sep 25, 2014
kel4soft:

Yes, but is on record, APC senators voted against it.
Na everything dem dey oppose sah..................
Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by kel4soft: 3:35pm On Sep 25, 2014
Omooba77:
Na everything dem dey oppose sah..................

No, it was supposed to be debated but the PDP lawmakers refused so they voted against it.
Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms by smileandlove(f): 3:39pm On Sep 25, 2014
Honestly don't understand this. Is it that this govt. Want to get this loan in exchange for military hard ware? And still claimed the $9.3m cash sent south Africa is for the same purpose. God help us!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ayo Fayose And His Beautiful Wife Back In The Day / Its Now Official: Boko Haram Declares Support For Buhari And Apc! / 2015: Electoral Victory Maps (Jonathan Vs Buhari)- By Daily Trust

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.