Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,160 members, 7,829,145 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:19 PM

Messi Reign Is Over - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Messi Reign Is Over (3896 Views)

Do Barcelona Still Need Messi? End Of Messi's Reign at Barca? / All the News of Sunday Oliseh's Reign As Super Eagles Coach / Which Players Will Take Over From Messi And Ronaldo After Their Reign For Bd'or (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Messi Reign Is Over by Baddestguyp(m): 2:16pm On Sep 29, 2014
ClintonNzedimma:
Thats part of the reason why cr7 couldnt perform at the world cup.
If Cr7 doesnt have an assistant, he wiil just be an average world class player, but if Messi doesnt have an assistant, it wont shake him.
Come to think of it, al those players, you mentioned, were they scoring at least one goal a game and assisting at the same time?....NO.
Those guys arent in Messi's class

Chelsea fans will even tell you that If you want goals, call DIEGO COSTA,If you want assist, call FABREGAS, if you want both, call LIONEL MESSI
thank you, u totally killed it. 1000000000000000000 likes

1 Like

Re: Messi Reign Is Over by Izontubo(m): 3:05pm On Sep 29, 2014
ClintonNzedimma:
If Cr7 doesnt have an assistant, he wiil just be an average world class player, but if Messi doesnt have an assistant, it wont shake him.
Come to think of it, al those players, you mentioned, were they scoring at least one goal a game and assisting at the same time?....NO.

Chelsea fans will even tell you that If you want goals, call DIEGO COSTA,If you want assist, call FABREGAS, if you want both, call LIONEL MESSI
best comment so far....messi is a hybrid player,....ronaldo isnt...messi can play d central midfield role,assist players and still score himself...how one player can do all this beats my imagination.....he assists both like ozil n fabregas put together and then still scores like ronaldo at d same time....

2 Likes

Re: Messi Reign Is Over by Carmal90(m): 4:46pm On Sep 29, 2014
virtually all Nairaland members hate ronaldo with passion,but it shouldn't be the case,cos for me @present ronaldo is superior to messi

4 Likes

Re: Messi Reign Is Over by Baddestguyp(m): 4:51pm On Sep 29, 2014
Carmal90: virtually all Nairaland members hate ronaldo with passion,but it shouldn't be the case,cos for me @present ronaldo is superior to messi
no, from mine most NL members hate messi. at present messi is superior.
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by onyeomaonyeoma(m): 7:19pm On Sep 29, 2014
it beats me how u guys are cunningly given every thing to Messi, when Messi waz winning world best bcox of d goals he scored not for his assist u guys said he is d best now someone else is smashing goals with so much alacrity u guys are now saying otherwise. ............and for the dude dat said MESSI scores, , assist, defend and keep maybe only messi will be squaring up against other teams.

4 Likes

Re: Messi Reign Is Over by Carmal90(m): 7:48pm On Sep 29, 2014
Lobatan
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 9:32pm On Sep 29, 2014
Carmal90: [font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] hi dude,are you telling me that you have a copy or have a clue of how world best emerge.......... laff, world best emerge only through vote,yes through vote only, and for your information messi won nothing in 2007,he was behind kaka in the race..... And in 2009/2010 that you claim he was unduly given the award, tell me reason(s) why he shouldn't have won the award, and tell me the REASON why RONALDO won the award in 2014.
I said Messi was not supposed to be in the top three in 2007. I did not say he won it. I said he should not have been in the top three ahead of Ribery and Torres.

As for the 2010 award, Sniejder was clearly the best,after being the play maker behind the treble triumphing Inter Milan side, including the Champions league.

Xavi and Iniesta supposed to be in the top three, after their World Cup heroic performance and Iniesta crowning it with a World Cup winning goal.

Why they gave Messi, We would never know.

2 Likes

Re: Messi Reign Is Over by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 9:35pm On Sep 29, 2014
onyeomaonyeoma: guy u just trying hard to justify messi sha, u and I knows dat Ronaldo is slightly ahead of messi currently.
assist don't win matches wot win matches is GOAL, if u gave a player an assist and he didn't score will ur assist be counted? NO! ! and beside wot does OZIL, DI MARIA, ALONSO, XAVI, PIRLO, INIESTA and HAZARD win with assist. am not saying dat messi playing badly but for d fact his arch rival Ronaldo is banging goals from all corners he should be banging goals too.SO LEAVE DAT UR ASSIST ISH AND BRING ANODA BASE TO JUSTIFY HIM.
Messi used to go goal to goal with CR7. Messi has not been able to replicate his goal rains anymore. I wonder why people are arguing.

Are they saying Messi is still on the same level he was under Guardiola? No he is not. That means Messi is fading.

2 Likes

Re: Messi Reign Is Over by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 9:40pm On Sep 29, 2014
ClintonNzedimma:

CR7 went to the World Cup injured. He also won the Champions league, playing his heart out with an injury. He was too weak to give a good performance. Unlike Messi, that Tata (former Barca coach and present Argentine coach) was accused of saving Messi for the World Cup. A fit CR7 would have had an amazing World Cup. Remember his four goals to qualify Portugal against Sweden.

Look at the list of Messi's team mates: Aguero, Lavezzi, Di Maria, Higuain.

Look at CR7's team mates. Nani, Joao Moutinho

3 Likes

Re: Messi Reign Is Over by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 9:49pm On Sep 29, 2014
ClintonNzedimma:

Messi certainly had a better World Cup than Ronaldo. However, I think that is an unfair comparison since Messi played in a far better team than Ronaldo. Portugal were awful and had a very average squad. In any case, Ronaldo was still clearly carrying an injury, not just any injury either, he apparently had pretty painful tendonitis and shouldn't have been playing at all (at the risk of his entire career). Just look what playing though tendonitis did to Owen Hargreaves!

2 Likes

Re: Messi Reign Is Over by Psychedelia(m): 10:00pm On Sep 29, 2014
Many of Messi's assists have gone to Neymar.
Ronaldinho helped Messi become the best; and I think Messi is trying to do the same for Neymar.

3 Likes

Re: Messi Reign Is Over by Carmal90(m): 10:29pm On Sep 29, 2014
@goodjoe Are u telling me both ribery and torres deserve to be on the list than messi in 2007?then u are joking cos dat same 2007 both ribery and torres were no where to be found.......... As for 2010 edition involving sneijder,xavi and iniesta........REASON why both iniesta and xavi were not giving the award is that they are not as consistent as messi in the whole season baring the world cup, but neither of them help matter @ the world cup cos they were not the best player at the world cup.......... What has sneijder done to deserve the world best? YOU WILL CLAIM HE WON CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, SERIA A,AND COPA ITALLIA, BUT IN THIS THREE HONOUR HE WON,HE WAS CLEARLY NOT INTER BEST PLAYER,INTER BEST PLAYER WAS D.MILITO...AND @ WORLD CUP HE WAS NOT THE BEST PLAYER AS WELL.
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by Leitner: 10:44pm On Sep 29, 2014
Carmal90: @lietner no hard feelings,try to express your view maturely..... Look am a die hard messi fan to the call,but the point am trying to raise is.............. will messi be able to raise his game to another level entirely because both ronaldo and NEYMAR has set standard..... A difficult standard it is..............
Neymar has set a standard for Messi? Dude,did you just make that statement? You know it's still pardonable when Gaynaldo's fan in their deluded mind say CR7 is like a benchmark to a player of messi's caliber. But Neymar?! ,Dude next time you make such a statement,also be ready to be turned upside down and shot in your balls. Neymar is not even half as good as Suarez,not to talk of messi. I'd have Modric in my team before I even ever think of buying that overrated bloke called Neymar.

Neymar is a decent player and without a biased mind,should be compared with the likes of Hazard,Sturridge and co and not a GREAT LIKE LEO. Reus,in my opinion,is even better than him
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by Leitner: 10:57pm On Sep 29, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3: I said Messi was not supposed to be in the top three in 2007. I did not say he won it. I said he should not have been in the top three ahead of Ribery and Torres.

As for the 2010 award, Sniejder was clearly the best,after being the play maker behind the treble triumphing Inter Milan side, including the Champions league.

Xavi and Iniesta supposed to be in the top three, after their World Cup heroic performance and Iniesta crowning it with a World Cup winning goal.

Why they gave Messi, We would never know.
And why are Gaynaldo's fan so cunning and Illogical when presenting their arguments?. It was you guyz anthem in 2010 when messi won the ballon d'or ahead of Sneidjer that: "After sneidjer won so many trophies and had a good Champ Lge campaign,why did then messi win it?". But fast-forward 3,4 years later after Ribery had won almost all in a calendar yr,he lost to your Gaylord, who managed to win ZERO! Major trophy in the same calendar Year!.

You didn't complain about that and you dare Complain about messi winning the ballon d'or after winning every competition he competed in @ club level except Champ. Lge,where he lost @ the Semis to eventual winners: Inter . Pls explain yourself,I'm lost

1 Like

Re: Messi Reign Is Over by Baddestguyp(m): 11:21pm On Sep 29, 2014
I wonder why cr7 fans just hate messi. to be fair messi has been fantastic this season playing well in his new role and cos cr7 has scored 10 goals u believe messi is fading, to d extent dey now compare neymar to messi? what a joke. messi has even performed better than ronaldo
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by Baddestguyp(m): 11:25pm On Sep 29, 2014
Leitner:
And why are Gaynaldo's fan so cunning and Illogical when presenting their arguments?. It was you guyz anthem in 2010 when messi won the ballon d'or ahead of Sneidjer that: "After sneidjer won so many trophies and had a good Champ Lge campaign,why did then messi win it?". But fast-forward 3,4 years later after Ribery had won almost all in a calendar yr,he lost to ronaldo, who managed to win ZERO Major trophy in the same calendar Year!

You didn't complain about that and you dare Complain about messi winning the ballon d'or after winning every competition he competed in @ club level except Champ. Lge,where he lost @ the Semis to eventual winners: Inter . Pls explain yourself,I'm lost
ronaldo fans respond to this.
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:29pm On Sep 29, 2014
Baddestguyp: I wonder why cr7 fans just hate messi. to be fair messi has been fantastic this season playing well in his new role and cos cr7 has scored 10 goals u believe messi is fading, to d extent dey now compare neymar to messi? what a joke. messi has even performed better than ronaldo
[b]Written August 2013

Neymar Will Soon Top Messi
Messi has been the darling of World football in recent years. His talent and brilliance has been remarkable. He has truly been the best player on the planet. Breaking records that were seen as unbreakable with ease.

His great rise coincided with the rise of one of the greatest teams in club football history. The midfield pair of Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets was telepathic under the tutelage of Pep Guardiola. Many great teams like Lyon, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Manchester United where embarassed by the geniuses from Catalunya.

There has been a decline in the brilliance of the play of Barca FC. I believe Messi's greatness anchored on the dominance of the Catalans. With possessions running over 70% in lots of games. Xavi was always a soothsayer, seeing Messi's movement before he makes his moves, leaving Messi miles ahead of defenders.

Xavi no more ticks like he used to and Messi has to work harder to stay ahead of others but it has been difficult. I don't see Tata (the new Barca Fc coach) being able to get Barca playing as they did under Guardiola. So I don't see Messi being able to perform as he has been performing.

Neymar on the other hand has florished without the help of a magnificent midfield. Neymar's greatness is based on individual skills and individual brilliance. Even if the team is doing poorly, he can make magic out of nothing. Neymar's speed and mind blowing skills will put him ahead and will favor the Spanish style of play.

If Neymar can deliver the World cup for Brazil, then he will be number one.

We are getting into a new season, watching Neymar grow will be interesting.
https://www.nairaland.com/1386165/neymar-soon-top-messi#17434601[/b]

1 Like

Re: Messi Reign Is Over by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:36pm On Sep 29, 2014
Leitner:
And why are Gaynaldo's fan so cunning and Illogical when presenting their arguments?. It was you guyz anthem in 2010 when messi won the ballon d'or ahead of Sneidjer that: "After sneidjer won so many trophies and had a good Champ Lge campaign,why did then messi win it?". But fast-forward 3,4 years later after Ribery had won almost all in a calendar yr,he lost to your Gaylord, who managed to win ZERO! Major trophy in the same calendar Year!.

[b]
#1 Most goals scored in the 2013 calendar year

CR7 goalscoring tally (67) is higher than Lionel Messi and Franck Ribery goals combined (66).

#2 - Carried Portugal to the World Cup on his own

Certainly no one doubts that if it hadn't been for Ronaldo, Portugal wouldn't have made it to the World Cup. In 2013, CR7 scored 10 goals out of 9 appearances for the "Selecção", 4 of those coming in a decisive 2-leg playoff against Sweden.

#3 - Top goalscorer of the UEFA Champions League

Here's another proof that Ronaldo has done it better than everyone else. The Real Madrid forward finished the last Champions League campaign (2012-13) ahead of all competition, with 12 goals scored during a Merengues campaign that resisted until the semi-finals clash, where they've ended up losing against Borussia Dortmund. Messi was 3rd on this particular record, after having netted 8 goals. However and what seems to have been forgotten by many, is that Franck Ribery has only scored 1 goal, despite Bayern Munich having clinched the Champions League trophy in May.

Why I said Sniejder should have won it was not only his club performance but his World Cup performance where he scored 4 goals which was crucial to lead his country to the World Cup finals.

That is trophy haul plus World Cup performance. [/b]

3 Likes

Re: Messi Reign Is Over by Baddestguyp(m): 11:37pm On Sep 29, 2014
^^^when last did u watch neymar play? in fact have u ever seen him on the pitch? neymar still has a long way to go, he'll have to perform better dan ronaldo before he can even compete with messi
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:40pm On Sep 29, 2014
Leitner:
Neymar has set a standard for Messi? Dude,did you just make that statement? You know it's still pardonable when Gaynaldo's fan in their deluded mind say CR7 is like a benchmark to a player of messi's caliber. But Neymar?! ,Dude next time you make such a statement,also be ready to be turned upside down and shot in your balls. Neymar is not even half as good as Suarez,not to talk of messi. I'd have Modric in my team before I even ever think of buying that overrated bloke called Neymar.

Neymar is a decent player and without a biased mind,should be compared with the likes of Hazard,Sturridge and co and not a GREAT LIKE LEO. Reus,in my opinion,is even better than him
How can you call Neymar overrated. You do not get it. He is just 22 years old. For the last four years, he has been the best player for the Brazilian national side.

He did not progress because of Tata's style of play. It did not suit Neymar.

Before he turned 22 years old, he was the best player in South America for five years.

2 Likes

Re: Messi Reign Is Over by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:42pm On Sep 29, 2014
Baddestguyp: ^^^when last did u watch neymar play? in fact have u ever seen him on the pitch? neymar still has a long way to go, he'll have to perform better dan ronaldo before he can even compete with messi
He was one of the best players at the last world cup.

Neymar has an amazing potential. He has done a lot already. He is respected by all the great Brazilian legends. As long as his potentials are nurtured, he would be one of the greats of the game. All though he is already one of the greats.

At 22 years old, he has already scored 36 goals for Brazil. Class.

Messi has scored 42 goals at 27 years old.

1 Like

Re: Messi Reign Is Over by Baddestguyp(m): 11:44pm On Sep 29, 2014
u guys keep saying Argentina has a lot of stars, blah blah blah. Pls how many of them performed at d world cup? d coach certainly didn't like lavezzi who wasn't consistent and didn't feature him much, Di Maria tried but kept on losing chances, aguero was injured, higuian useless.
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:46pm On Sep 29, 2014
Baddestguyp: u guys keep saying Argentina has a lot of stars, blah blah blah. Pls how many of them performed at d world cup? d coach certainly didn't like lavezzi who wasn't consistent and didn't feature him much, Di Maria tried but kept on losing chances, aguero was injured, higuian useless.
Rojo was amazing, Ezequiel Garay was one of the best defenders at the World Cup, Di Maria was amazing, Zaballetta was wonderful, Lavezzi earned praises for his constant work rate. Mascherano was one of the best players of the World Cup, even better than Messi.

Now tell me which Portuguese player played better than these players.
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by Baddestguyp(m): 11:50pm On Sep 29, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3: Rojo was amazing, Ezequiel Garay was one of the best defenders at the World Cup, Di Maria was amazing, Zaballetta was wonderful, Lavezzi earned praises for his constant work rate. Mascherano was one of the best players of the World Cup, even better than Messi.

Now tell me which Portuguese player played better than these players.
u only read my first sentence and totally ignored my post
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:52pm On Sep 29, 2014
Baddestguyp: u only read my first sentence and totally ignored my post
What did I ignore? The fact is that Argentina went with a star studded team which did well at the World Cup.
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by Baddestguyp(m): 11:57pm On Sep 29, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3: What did I ignore? The fact is that Argentina went with a star studded team which did well at the World Cup.
really, but messi single-handedly took them through the group stage and was very vital in d knockout stages. good night
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 12:01am On Sep 30, 2014
Baddestguyp: really, but messi single-handedly took them through the group stage and was very vital in d knockout stages. good night
After the group stage, the goals dried out and the midfield and defence took them to the finals,despite the goals.

Without the talented team, Messi's heroics would have amounted to nothing. Remember Mascherano injuring to save a goal.

1 Like

Re: Messi Reign Is Over by ClintonNzedimma(m): 12:47am On Sep 30, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3:
Messi certainly had a better World Cup than Ronaldo. However, I think that is an unfair comparison since Messi played in a far better team than Ronaldo. Portugal were awful and had a very average squad. In any case, Ronaldo was still clearly carrying an injury, not just any injury either, he apparently had pretty painful tendonitis and shouldn't have been playing at all (at the risk of his entire career). Just look what playing though tendonitis did to Owen Hargreaves!
cr7 vindicated tho but concerning portugal....thats an excuse....what of chile and costa rica?
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by amedave(m): 12:51am On Sep 30, 2014
ClintonNzedimma:
cr7 vindicated tho but concerning portugal....thats an excuse....what of chile and costa rica?
messi's problem is the position he is being played, serious I hate what the coach is doing, making messi a playmaker is good news for barca but bad news for messi
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 1:31am On Sep 30, 2014
ClintonNzedimma:
Chile had a better squad than Portugal. I am not saying a poor team can not do well at a tourney. I am saying Messi had a Super squad to perform at the World cup. CR7 did not.

Messi would not have been so amazing if he was playing for the Portuguese and CR7 playing for the Argentines.

1 Like

Re: Messi Reign Is Over by amedave(m): 6:58am On Sep 30, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3: Chile had a better squad than Portugal. I am not saying a poor team can not do well at a tourney. I am saying Messi had a Super squad to perform at the World cup. CR7 did not.

Messi would not have been so amazing if he was playing for the Portuguese and CR7 playing for the Argentines.
guy you are wrong, please you are a man city fan , same as I am, if you watched Argentina at the later part of the world cup, you would see how he was exhausted because of the role he was playing. Pls stop the talk of ronaldo single handedly carried Portugal, that's a fat lie. which country did he score 4 against?, if he can do as you claim why did he not qualify Portugal as the first in his group, no player alone can single handedly carry a team
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by ClintonNzedimma(m): 8:21am On Sep 30, 2014
amedave: messi's problem is the position he is being played, serious I hate what the coach is doing, making messi a playmaker is good news for barca but bad news for messi
its not bad....am a barca fan and am enjoying it...he scores 1 or 2 goals a match and assist 2 or 3 times....its making barca very dangerous.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FIFA Copa Lagos 2011 Beach Soccer Tournament Starts This Friday / I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu / Odemwingie’s Birthday Gift For Westbrom’s Kitman, Matthews !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.