Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,958 members, 7,817,815 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:14 PM

Shall I Join The British Army? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Shall I Join The British Army? (2864 Views)

Driver,11 Passengers Dead As Young Shall Grow Bus Crashes Into A Truck(pics) / Shall I Bring A Rice Cooker To Nigeria? / What Do Nigeria Benefit As A Member Of The British Commonwealth. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shall I Join The British Army? by ubamu2029: 7:38pm On Nov 06, 2008
xx
Re: Shall I Join The British Army? by MrCrackles(m): 7:42pm On Nov 06, 2008
It is happening in Nigeria, go back home!
Re: Shall I Join The British Army? by Gamine(f): 7:49pm On Nov 06, 2008
Whats Wrong in going back to Nigeria?

really??
Re: Shall I Join The British Army? by blackspade(m): 8:53pm On Nov 06, 2008
I agree with the previous comments, there is demand for skilled intelligent people like you back home. Why not return?
Re: Shall I Join The British Army? by biolabee(m): 10:19pm On Nov 06, 2008
what are the pros n cons of joining the army
Re: Shall I Join The British Army? by guseman(m): 10:15am On Nov 07, 2008
@ubamu
With your two degrees back home here in Nigeria will give you an advantage in securing better jobs rather than risking your life at war front in Iraq or Iran , even kuwait grin grin cool
Because this is the same thing a friend of mine was planning to do but in his own case, He is still an undergraduate, but i made him to realise that's not the best thing to do, If you know you are really interested in the Army job, why don't you come home and do Short Service course here at home where you will be made OGA [/b]than a place where you go dey serve like a [b]servant with the two degrees, Sorry oo, thats is my own view sha, all the best.
Re: Shall I Join The British Army? by landis(m): 12:53pm On Nov 07, 2008
Baffling,

why would you want to fight for a Queen that enslaved our fore-fathers

If you going there to plan a coup and over-throw the Queen, then its VERY GOOD

Honestly, Queen should send his kids/cousin etc to WAR to protect her thrown not another BLACKMAN.

If 10% Nigerians go back home and DEMAND improvement like of numbskull OBJ would not have wasted 8yrs of our resource.

But we are too divided to see; we die alone if we don't learn to work together.
Re: Shall I Join The British Army? by ubamu2029: 1:26pm On Nov 07, 2008
xx
Re: Shall I Join The British Army? by Shinatu: 4:23pm On Nov 07, 2008
Waht does an Engineer in the British army do?
Is he at the war front or at the base carrying out engineering work?

Have you invesigated the kind of job available for you in Nigeria and are you satisfied with
them?

Answers to these questions and more would aid you in making a decision
Re: Shall I Join The British Army? by guseman(m): 4:31pm On Nov 07, 2008
i can confirm that most banks are crazy to recruit graduates who studied abroad, Oil and gas and many more oppourtunity than risking ones lif in british army
Re: Shall I Join The British Army? by ubamu2029: 6:48pm On Nov 07, 2008
xx
Re: Shall I Join The British Army? by DisGuy: 9:25pm On Nov 07, 2008
My Friend tried and failed last year I think he is trying again,
the selection process is quiet rigorous, there are so many process involved
the good thing is you will get an NYSC exemption certificate grin

Have you tried looking for a job outside of your field or even outside the UK-Europe, USA, Canada even Dubai
the country is small and the sector you want might be very competitive so choosing
a national over you will always be an easier option for some

There are such jobs in nigeria for sure, but I don't know the ease of getting into them
you wont know if you don't try, make some moves, forward you CV to friends and relative
networking is part of job-hunting
Re: Shall I Join The British Army? by azorjiu(m): 9:38pm On Nov 07, 2008
don't worry guys. just operating double.
Re: Shall I Join The British Army? by ubamu2029: 10:39pm On Nov 07, 2008
xx
Re: Shall I Join The British Army? by DisGuy: 11:15pm On Nov 07, 2008
that great then, I think there are more selection process involved-leadership and group task
Cant remember if he did all these together,
their pay is cool and usually very good training, but what im not sure about is the 'culture'

Apparently he failed because of a black spot at the back of his retina (or somewhere in his eyes)
he was training to join the Air force
Re: Shall I Join The British Army? by biolabee(m): 1:42am On Nov 08, 2008
ubamu2029:

The disadvantages are enormous but the major one is that you can lose your life when deployed. For me, the greatest disadvantage would not practisings in my profession for up to 4 years.

So are they any severence or terminal benefits?

The advantages? You will gain british citizenship at the end of your service and you get discounts for travel, housing, etc.

It depends on what job you apply for.
I wanted to go in as a geophic engineer.

"As a Military Engineer (Geographic Technician), compiling, preparing and managing geographic data from a variety of sources and conducting terrain analysis is your responsibility. You are likely to find yourself in many environments using cutting-edge technology, IT equipment and Geographic Information Systems to provide geographic support to the Armed Forces. Trained as a soldier and combat engineer, your skills will enable you to support all three Services and even fight as an Infantry soldier when required."
excerpt from the mod website.

I do it in the test tubes, mixing reagents and telling concentrations. There are such jobs in nigeria for sure, but I don't know the ease of getting into them.

Well I believe the skills you learn as a geophic engr will be useful in the GPS, seismic or oil industry here in naija or even internationally as the oil industry is an int'l one.you can be a int'l consultant,

Coys even here though they value int'l degrees still value experience more,
I beleieve you shd go for it (it just 4 years) and ull see the world in the bargain,

my thots

(1) (Reply)

Aerial Photos Of Popular Tempsite Junction Awka / D1O's Visa Finally Came Through: Thank God / Book Your Visa Interview Appointment With Ease!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.