Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,286 members, 7,815,489 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus (1804 Views)

Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu / I May Run In 2015, Says Buhari• He Is Upright – Obasanjo / Massob To Join Boko Haram - Uwazuruike, Leader Threatens: I May Join Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by ShehuAba(m): 4:53pm On Sep 30, 2014
In the last one year I have strongly considered
joining the murky waters of politics, specifically in
my home state of Kwara. Although my family
back home are known more for business and, in
my generation, production of professionals
(accountants, doctors, engineers etc), rather than
politics, our patriarch, 100-year-old Alhaji Salawu
Oyewale, was a pre-independence and First
Republic politician, being one of the first members
of Action Group in Northern Nigeria. As he told
Sunday Punch in this interview, he joined Action
Group in 1948 as one of the earliest members. He
contested local elections in the 1950s, and was a
dyed-in-the-wool follower of Chief Obafemi
Awolowo, the sage with high veneration in Yoruba
political circles.

I have actually never been apolitical, but I prefer
discussing, rather than participating in politics. At
a very early age, from primary school, I developed
interest in reading about politics, and listening to
Baba discuss politics of First Republic and
colonial period. At such early age I was already
used to names like Sir Akinola Maja; Alhaji
Gbadamosi of Ikorodu, said to be a major
financier of Awolowo’s parties in the era; Chief
Bode Thomas; Chief Lanlehin, and of course,
home boy, Chief J.S Olawoyin, who Baba won’t
stop talking about.

I spent the first eighteen years of my life without
spending five consecutive nights outside of my
hometown of Offa. I was born and bred in that
rusty community, which is the traditional
opposition capital of Kwara State. Kwara State
has always been ruled by conservative parties –
except the short breaks in 1983 when strongman
Olusola Saraki worked against his party, the
conservative National Party of Nigeria (NPN), to
install the candidate of the progressive Unity
Party of Nigeria (UPN), Chief Cornelius Olatunji
Adebayo, as governor, and recently, when the
internal wrangling within the conservative
People’s Democratic Party (PDP), saw the current
Governor defect to the generally-regarded-as-
progressive All People’s Congress (APC).
That should give a clue to the platform of my
choice already. Our Baba was an opposition
politician in his era, more than five decades ago.
Actually, the leader of opposition in Northern
parliament, Chief Olawoyin, was from Offa.

Beyond this historical trend, I have never been a
fan of the PDP. This is a party that has been in
government at the national level for over fifteen
years with nothing to show for it. I concede that
due to lack of ideological discipline that sees
politicians crossing from one party to another at
will, APC is also populated with many ex-PDPs,
but you can’t take away the fact that the party is
saner. One, I think more often than not, APC gets
right its political recruitment strategy, the reason
it has more performing elected public officers.
Some of the officers that defected from PDP,
most notably Rotimi Amaechi and Rabiu Musa
Kwankwaso of Rivers and Kano states
respectively, have always been decent
performers, with progressive tendencies, even
from their PDP days. For all these reasons, I have
always said I had sympathy for APC. That is
likely going to guide my choice of platform.
Now, preferred office. I have always preferred
executive offices to legislative ones. I believe you
have the opportunity to make more impact in an
executive position. Being a core Offa man, I must
confess I have not been so impressed with the
pace of development in the community in the last
two decades. Putting my hat into the Local
Government Chairmanship ring in the next
elections, by God’s grace, may likely be the first
point of duty.

In the last half a decade as a public
commentator, I have written a number of articles
on the history, politics and administration of the
community. In an article I wrote four years ago,
titled, Offa: Recipe for Sustainable Development,
which was published in Thisday and a number of
other national dailies.

Unsolicited, I set out a blueprint for the
development of our community. At the heat of the
unfortunate Offa-Erin Ile communal dispute that
led to several deaths early last year, I intervened
with a piece published in Punch newspaper, titled,
Offa –Erin Ile: War Profits No One . I also took a
historical journey into the Offa-Saraki rivalry with
an article I contributed to Tribune newspaper two
years ago, titled, Offa-Saraki Political Rivalry: A
Chronology . I also have the honour of being
referenced by veteran columnist, Mr. Tunde
Fagbenle, in his essay on the outcome of the Offa
Local Government Re-run election in 2013, which
he titled, The Moral Example of Offa’s Jimoh
Afolabi . All to show this is not the ranting of a
Lagos boy that is disconnected from the
happenings in his home state.
Politics is a long shot, I know. I have a number of
personal principles I will never sacrifice for
anything, even as I believe in political
pragmatism. I have already begun consultation
with key stakeholders in the state. I will definitely
keep my followers updated as things pan out in
the coming months.
——————
Suraj Oyewale is a chartered accountant, blogger
and public analyst, is the Founder of JarusHub
Career & Management Portal. He tweets
from @mcjarus

http://ynaija.com/mcjarus/

9 Likes

Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by Dbestmax(m): 4:55pm On Sep 30, 2014
Is dia a prize assuming I read all dis
Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by ShehuAba(m): 4:59pm On Sep 30, 2014
This is really a nice one coming from one of the most popular Nairalanders in the last few years especially in the politics section. (Though he's been inactive for sometimes now).

Well, Jarus this is really a tough one leaving the corporate life to the political life. Though it is surmountable.

Fellow Nairalanders let's come in to contribute our own quota to this new calling, by words of advice, encouragement, experience etc.

Jarus, our MAN we wish you well.

5 Likes

Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by ShehuAba(m): 5:00pm On Sep 30, 2014
Dbestmax: Is dia a prize assuming I read all dis

E be like say, you no well.
Park well jare.

2 Likes

Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by Nobody: 5:01pm On Sep 30, 2014
I guess not only actors and musicians should be going into politics. If any nairalander decides to go into politics,it is equally good. Jarus,you should set the pace for that.

Wish you all the best if you have decided to join politics.

2 Likes

Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by Dbestmax(m): 5:33pm On Sep 30, 2014
ShehuAba:

E be like say, you no well.
Park well jare.
Hehehe...#tongue out....
I jst dey ask....Even if na cinema I dey...hehehe
Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by slap1(m): 5:54pm On Sep 30, 2014
I wanted to warn that politics will change you, but I realized that Nigerian politics needs our generation to move in the right direction.
Good luck, Jarus!

1 Like

Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by atlwireles: 6:04pm On Sep 30, 2014
There is no miraculous change coming to your state or town anytime soon, when people with means and knowledge, like yourself sit on the sidelines. As much as I dislike your APC, I have to support your intention of getting involved with your local politics. Politics does not change people, they remain what they were before entering politics. Best of luck, the more people like you get involved, the better this nation will be.

2 Likes

Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by dytbabe: 6:31pm On Sep 30, 2014
* singing*
The man - Aloe Blacc
Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by idu1(m): 6:33pm On Sep 30, 2014
Space booked cos dis 1 na fp.
Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by Ymodulus: 6:39pm On Sep 30, 2014
Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by christejames(m): 6:56pm On Sep 30, 2014
Wishing him well as he strive to transform his people of Offa!

1 Like

Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 7:07pm On Sep 30, 2014
atlwireles: There is no miraculous change coming to your state or town anytime soon, when people with means and knowledge, like yourself sit on the sidelines. As much as I dislike your APC, I have to support your intention of getting involved with your local politics. Politics does not change people, they remain what they were before entering politics. Best of luck, the more people like you get involved, the better this nation will be.

politics changes people o, forget

3 Likes

Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by Ymodulus: 7:10pm On Sep 30, 2014
I am not a complete perfect purist. There is no such thing as a perfect political party, candidate who governs in accordance with one's every ethical judgment. But some actions are so ruinous to human rights, so destructive of the Constitution, and so contrary to basic morals that they are disqualifying. Most of you will go that far with me.

Let me briefly refresh your memory on who i am. I am that that young 19year old boy Ymodulus who a year ago called you for 25minutes or there about seeking your candid elderly advice on making and maintaining a first class. while i never made a first-class. Jarus advice has gown down deep into my blood marrows as a speaker and motivator one that can get you to do and achieve the best in you. He made me realize my dream of been one of the best student in my faculty. Even though i believe not in a god. i will call him one of my SEMI-demi GOD next to WOLE SOYINKA. I took his advice well and today well am grateful.

[size=20pt]However sir.[/size]

I am just not in support of your of propose intention to go into politics. Sir my reason is that i see you more as a P[size=23pt]OLITICAL ANALYST[/size] than a[size=23pt] POLITICIAN[/size].

There are many more Political analysts that speak at briefings, talk to journalists off the record, take part in public platforms on radio and television, and inform debate in many ways. Relentlessly they repeat their "analysis", and their influence is profound. I haven’t included them here, but so many newspaper editorials at the time mirrored the sentiments expressed by these analysts. However, when it comes to actually understanding the electorate, voting intention and opinion polls, many of these analysts are often professional guessers at best.

Importantly, these analysts are unaccountable too. They can talk complete fiction and be widely quoted but do they ever apologize when they get it wrong? Are they ever fired? Do newspapers stop using their services? Not a chance. If anything, their celebrity seems to grow. They carry on as if nothing has changed — ironically, often to scold politicians for breaking their promises and being unaccountable themselves. They operate beyond reproach or criticism.

One might well ask: if they can’t understand the political marketplace, why listen to them when interpreting those myriad political events outside elections? The things written, have been so speculative that they border on the narcissistic, as if each commentator has direct access to the electorate’s collective brain. I could set out a multiplicity of similar examples of poor predictions for every election or campaign run in the past 12 years.

[b]It’s a kind of fraud, and we give them far too much credit. They should be held to the same standard they so publicly and self-righteously demand of politicians.

They generally seem incapable of retrospection too. I could find only one example of an analyst trying to account for his poor predictions in a meaningful way. To his great credit, Habib wrote an article for the Sun News , after the 2011 election, in which he went through what he had said before and how he got it wrong. That sets him apart somewhat.

In his defence, Habib argued that analysts were not a homogenous group. He is right. And there are exceptions to the general, unthinking herd. They are rare indeed. Imoni Amamare of AIT Political platform, one of the country’s best political reporters, is meticulous about seeking out and speaking to experts who have and understand hard data before reporting on it. He and a few others set the standard in this regard. But even he would be at the mercy of a political analyst who, when phoned for comment, "felt" a certain way that morning.[/b]

I do not like to go further sir.

[size=21pt]Summarily.[/size]

I am saying a big no to your political aspirations, because i feel you are a POLITICAL ANALYST and analyst don't make the best POLITICIANS.

[size=21pt]Lastly[/size]

i must commend you for joining the Progressive. APC!!!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by Donsheddy: 7:38pm On Sep 30, 2014
Space booked. I wish u al d best
Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by Nobody: 7:39pm On Sep 30, 2014
Go Suraj Go.

I wish you the best of luck.

But don't dull yourself oooooo

You must be ready to get your hands dirty(maybe a bit dirty sha) because politics is just too dirty in Nigeria.

Again, make sure you enter Ile-Agbara (Power House) for proper fortification against bullets, spiritual attacks, physical attacks etc.

You'll need the following....

Gbekude (It wards off death)

Tidijo (The bullet kills the shooter of such gun)

Ogidi Mayehun (Original Remote Control Jazz, you'll need this to control some stubborn politicians)

Ayeta (It wards off bullets)

Madarikan (No baggar dare attacks you spiritually or physically, but it requires renewal ooooooo)

Afeeri / Egbe (When everything fails, instead of being lynched you'll disappear and land in your Ile-Agbara)

Eru (Fear, everyone must fear and respect you)

Asegbe (Whatever you do or say is the final, nobody dare questions your authority)

I have forgotten the remaining ones jarey

There's are some that requires incision on your waste and leg.

The one for leg is called Ategbe (That is no matter what they might have sprinkled or planted for you to step on and kpai, shall never work. You go just waka pass)

The one for waist is to protect you againt sommersault aka Magun or Thunderbolt. The moment you want to do collaboration with such a woman, the chairman will go to sleep. It won't work layelaye. Politicians always get free women so you gats protect yourself against sommersault.

I have forgotten the remaining ones jarey.

Make sure you do so ooooo, otherwise sorry is your name.

If you are not strong, please don't go into politics in Nigeria (Eni ti o ba fe jeun gboingboin a ti ilekun gboingboin).

All The Best.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by ShehuAba(m): 7:41pm On Sep 30, 2014
Steadmann: Go Suraj Go.

I wish you the best of luck.

But don't dull yourself oooooo

You must be ready to get your hands dirty(maybe a bit dirty sha) because politics is just too dirty in Nigeria.

Again, make sure you enter Ile-Agbara (Power House) for proper fortification against bullets, spiritual attacks, physical attacks etc.

You'll need the following....

Gbekude (It wards off death)

Tidijo (The bullet kills the shooter of such gun)

Ogidi Mayehun (Original Remote Control Jazz, you'll need this to control some stubborn politicians)

Ayeta (It wards off bullets)

Madarikan (No baggar dare attacks you spiritually or physically, but it requires renewal ooooooo)

Afeeri / Egbe (When everything fails, instead of being lynched you'll disappear and land in your Ile-Agbara)

Eru (Fear, everyone must fear and respect you)

Asegbe (Whatever you do or say is the final, nobody dare questions your authority)

I have forgotten the remaining ones jarey

There's are some that requires incision on your waste and leg.

The one for leg is called Ategbe (That is no matter what they might have sprinkled or planted for you to step on and kpai, shall never work. You go just waka pass)

The one for waist is to protect you againt sommersault aka Magun or Thunderbolt. The moment you want to do collaboration with such a woman, the chairman will go to sleep. It won't work layelaye. Politicians always get free women so you gats protect yourself against sommersault.

I have forgotten the remaining ones jarey.

Make sure you do so ooooo, otherwise sorry is your name.

If you are not strong, please don't go into politics in Nigeria (Eni ti o ba fe jeun gboingboin a ti ilekun gboingboin).

All The Best.

E be like say, this oga na herbalist.

3 Likes

Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by Nobody: 7:48pm On Sep 30, 2014
ShehuAba:

Rara oooooooo

I'm just a Yoruba that was born and raised in Ile-Ife.

Seriously, he should not just go there hoping Allah shall do the protection.

There's God I know.

But in Nigeria, Baba God doesn't involve himself in our politics. Baba God knows better.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by Jarus(m): 9:55pm On Sep 30, 2014
Ymodulus: I am not a complete perfect purist. There is no such thing as a perfect political party, candidate who governs in accordance with one's every ethical judgment. But some actions are so ruinous to human rights, so destructive of the Constitution, and so contrary to basic morals that they are disqualifying. Most of you will go that far with me.

Let me briefly refresh your memory on who i am. I am that that young 19year old boy Ymodulus who a year ago called you for 25minutes or there about seeking your candid elderly advice on making and maintaining a first class. while i never made a first-class. Jarus advice has gown down deep into my blood marrows as a speaker and motivator one that can get you to do and achieve the best in you. He made me realize my dream of been one of the best student in my faculty. Even though i believe not in a god. i will call him one of my SEMI-demi GOD next to WOLE SOYINKA. I took his advice well and today well am grateful.

[size=20pt]However sir.[/size]

I am just not in support of your of propose intention to go into politics. Sir my reason is that i see you more as a P[size=23pt]OLITICAL ANALYST[/size] than a[size=23pt] POLITICIAN[/size].

There are many more Political analysts that speak at briefings, talk to journalists off the record, take part in public platforms on radio and television, and inform debate in many ways. Relentlessly they repeat their "analysis", and their influence is profound. I haven’t included them here, but so many newspaper editorials at the time mirrored the sentiments expressed by these analysts. However, when it comes to actually understanding the electorate, voting intention and opinion polls, many of these analysts are often professional guessers at best.

Importantly, these analysts are unaccountable too. They can talk complete fiction and be widely quoted but do they ever apologize when they get it wrong? Are they ever fired? Do newspapers stop using their services? Not a chance. If anything, their celebrity seems to grow. They carry on as if nothing has changed — ironically, often to scold politicians for breaking their promises and being unaccountable themselves. They operate beyond reproach or criticism.

One might well ask: if they can’t understand the political marketplace, why listen to them when interpreting those myriad political events outside elections? The things written, have been so speculative that they border on the narcissistic, as if each commentator has direct access to the electorate’s collective brain. I could set out a multiplicity of similar examples of poor predictions for every election or campaign run in the past 12 years.

[b]It’s a kind of fraud, and we give them far too much credit. They should be held to the same standard they so publicly and self-righteously demand of politicians.

They generally seem incapable of retrospection too. I could find only one example of an analyst trying to account for his poor predictions in a meaningful way. To his great credit, Habib wrote an article for the Sun News , after the 2011 election, in which he went through what he had said before and how he got it wrong. That sets him apart somewhat.

In his defence, Habib argued that analysts were not a homogenous group. He is right. And there are exceptions to the general, unthinking herd. They are rare indeed. Imoni Amamare of AIT Political platform, one of the country’s best political reporters, is meticulous about seeking out and speaking to experts who have and understand hard data before reporting on it. He and a few others set the standard in this regard. But even he would be at the mercy of a political analyst who, when phoned for comment, "felt" a certain way that morning.[/b]

I do not like to go further sir.

[size=21pt]Summarily.[/size]

I am saying a big no to your political aspirations, because i feel you are a POLITICAL ANALYST and analyst don't make the best POLITICIANS.

[size=21pt]Lastly[/size]

i must commend you for joining the Progressive. APC!!!

Thanks my brother.
Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by alaoeri: 10:10pm On Sep 30, 2014
atlwireles: There is no miraculous change coming to your state or town anytime soon, when people with means and knowledge, like yourself sit on the sidelines. As much as I dislike your APC, I have to support your intention of getting involved with your local politics. Politics does not change people , they remain what they were before entering politics. Best of luck, the more people like you get involved, the better this nation will be.
Politics do change ppl, the former speaker of Oyo state Alarape during Ladoja's administration is a real Alfa not until he venture into politics likewise an elder that i know nevertheless wishing Jarus all the best in his adventure into politics.
Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by citizenY(m): 11:05pm On Sep 30, 2014
ShehuAba:

Na herbalist, very good advert, he forgot to include ogun jedi..... in case Jarus put hand for treasury....... just jiving
Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by idupaul: 11:25pm On Sep 30, 2014
BookMark
Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by Nobody: 12:07am On Oct 01, 2014
Nice one Mr. Jarus, I support you wholeheartedly. It is a welcome development to see young guns with serious political intentions. As for me, I will also delve into the murky waters of Politics in Rivers State and by the grace of God run for office in the next political season ie 2019. Sight set in Rivers State House of Assembly, to represent Okrika Constituency under the progressive APC platform-with God sparing our lives

2 Likes

Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by baba11(m): 12:41am On Oct 01, 2014
I have never seen a politician who doesn't lie..I hope he withholds his virtue s ,values,attitude etc after venturing into into..
Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by McWhillion(m): 1:05am On Oct 01, 2014
dytbabe: * singing*
The man - Aloe Blacc
I love that song
Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by KnowAll(m): 4:02am On Oct 01, 2014
Joining politics at d most ineffective level is a waste of time and space. Being a LG chairman in today's political dispensation is likened to being d lap dog of an already inffective, corrupt & nepotistic Governor.

The LG chairmen post are dead on arrival, their development funds have been hijacked by x Governors, tell me how your overzealous lofty ambition would see d light of day. Is it by spending your own cash for Offa Community.

The proposition of one seeing oneself as d messiah of change in d grassroot level is not only a very good wishful thinking bordering on illusion but a pariah academic exercise going by d prevaling circumstances in d country with regards to that office.

Today's LG Chairmen are yes sir men. They lack funds & are imprisoned by grand ideas that would never see d light of day. They would gyrate to every beat played by d Governor only to be discarded into oblivion after d mandatory 3 years in office elaspes. The d all mighty Governor in his usaul style passes that tainted & weightless baton to next loyal party man or better still to one of his many straight jacket weather beaten supporters.

Anyway I wish u all d best.
Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by MANDILAX(m): 4:28am On Oct 01, 2014
This space will be modified soon as the topic hits front page. grin
Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by otokx(m): 6:00am On Oct 01, 2014
Politics has different levels of operations, being chairman of your local rotary club is a good way to start then gradually you move up unless of course some political godfather adopts you as his candidate and you get there and serve the people by dumping him.

1 Like

Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by Nobody: 7:26am On Oct 01, 2014
By God's grace.....we shall support you in anyway we can.

1 Like

Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by Raypawer(m): 1:56pm On Oct 01, 2014
hm! watching, its like this politics is the easiest way to hammer, but speaking with my friend recently, i told him: I can't die UNFULFILLED!

ha¶a, give me all the money in the world, i will ever be happy except it through my Dreams coming Alive... well done Jarus!
Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by Nobody: 2:10pm On Oct 01, 2014
barcanista: Nice one Mr. Jarus, I support you wholeheartedly. It is a welcome development to see young guns with serious political intentions. As for me, I will also delve into the murky waters of Politics in Rivers State and by the grace of God run for office in the next political season ie 2019. Sight set in Rivers State House of Assembly, to represent Okrika Constituency under the progressive APC platform-with God sparing our lives

You sure say Ateke Tom go gree you? Rivers Riverine politics are more deadly than the upland.
Re: Why I May Go Into Politics Soon - Jarus by Nobody: 3:14pm On Oct 01, 2014
SeaGold:

You sure say Ateke Tom go gree you? Rivers Riverine politics are more deadly than the upland.
I know what you mean bro. I am the kind of person that doesn't give in to intimidation though I understand the ruggedity. Anyway, Ateke is not far from me. We are from the same Biri and same compound. Ofcourse I will intimate him of my ambition, I am optimistic that he'll support wholeheartedly though he will receive it with "shock". I also have relatives that are stakeholders and close to the palace whose support will be vital in the aspiration. I kno it will be a tough task though and I will seriously strategise towards its realisation.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jonathan Responsible For National Assembly Attack — Tinubu / Another PDP Campaign Office Burnt Down (picture) / ALERT: Rigging In Lagos!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.