Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,079 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:14 AM

10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) (56819 Views)

What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? / What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area / Taboos/abomination!: List Actions/deeds That Are Deemed Taboos In Your Culture. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Atmmachine(m): 4:30am On Oct 01, 2014
My Yoruba people have been blindfolded & brainwashed with a very strong shampoo & hair relaxer grin grin

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Maross(m): 4:32am On Oct 01, 2014
ukwuani people:
1. it is considered sacrilegious to kill certain animals chief of which are the tortoises, sheep, alligators, snails (some parts). some of these animals are accorded full burial rites like humans when they are killed. bizarre things have happened to violators... very bizarre!
I almost died of a strange ailment some years back when I was in boarding school because I violated this particular one...I was completely healed after the necessary sacrifice was done.

2. A woman married to an ukwuani man is expected to stay faithful even if she is from a different ethnic extraction. if the husband eats the food cooked by his adulterous wife with funds provided by the other man, the husband will surely die! if the marriage is blessed with children, the kids will come down with very strange ailments unto death unless she confesses and the necessary rites are performed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by ejikechibuzor(m): 4:33am On Oct 01, 2014
In some parts of yoruba land, kings are not meant to see newly born babies shocked
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by nkpommpko(m): 4:35am On Oct 01, 2014
Taboos a tool created by the ruling elite of yore to put their people in check and protect Their selfish desires, those myths has been debonked, even okija shrine is in jail and can't even relase its self.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Nobody: 4:41am On Oct 01, 2014
Atmmachine:

What if someone accidentally dies in the presence of the king, what will happen ??
the king will be quickly rushed inside before the person finaly give up
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by wiringdpt(m): 4:46am On Oct 01, 2014
Really?!?!
Atmmachine: Are you tired of life ??
Do you want to die ??
If your answer is #Yes !!!!!!!!!
Smell a Yoruba girl's pant grin grin
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Atmmachine(m): 4:47am On Oct 01, 2014
Ipledge: the king will be quickly rushed inside before the person finaly give up

What if he suddenly sees a car crash scene with dead people ??
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Nobody: 4:51am On Oct 01, 2014
Atmmachine:

What if he suddenly sees a car crash scene with dead people ??
she na dead he dey find up and down...taboo na taboo

3 Likes

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by rman: 5:04am On Oct 01, 2014
The cotton bud ish is to keep people clean and free of diseases.

Death by a river is to prevent frequent drowning incident so the river be will safe for drinking.

And adulterous wife cooking for the husband are all made up by very smart men of their time to prevent adultery.

At least these three are derivatives of logic, nothing like taboo if u do otherwise. Smart men of those times made this up to put people in check.

These smart men have been replaced successfully with pastors n imams.

* make I burst more *

5 Likes

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by vega84(m): 5:32am On Oct 01, 2014
Some very funny taboos ,yourabs I tire fr una ooooo
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Maross(m): 5:40am On Oct 01, 2014
rman: The cotton bud ish is to keep people clean and free of diseases.
Death by a river is to prevent frequent drowning incident so the river will safe for drinking.
And adulterous wife cooking for the husband are all made up by very smart men of their time to prevent adultery.
At least these three are derivatives of logic, nothing like taboo if u do otherwise. Smart men of those times made this up to put people in check.
They have been replaced successfully with pastors n imams.
* make I burst more *

don't try to explain away some of these age long taboos... I know some of them sound very "illogical" but how do you explain the experiences of people who have had to deal the consequences of violation?
I think there is something deeper and somewhat inexplicable that ties us to some of our customs and tradition of which taboos are derivatives.
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Lucasbalo(m): 5:43am On Oct 01, 2014
Bunch of mythology.
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by lawrenceunaa: 6:05am On Oct 01, 2014
in Igbo land nit is a taboo for a male in a clan to sleep with a female from same c
plan
cos both are considered blood relations

2 Likes

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by felifeli: 6:37am On Oct 01, 2014
Picking your teeth after drinking water is taboo in my town Maiduguri grin
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Mbediogu(m): 6:47am On Oct 01, 2014
Atmmachine: Are you tired of life ??
Do you want to die ??
If your answer is #Yes !!!!!!!!!
Smell a Yoruba girl's pant grin grin

I thought as much. Pelvic volcanic emission with a lot of hydrogen sulphide and some synthetic component such as Sarin gas.

1 Like

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by IdomaLikita: 6:47am On Oct 01, 2014
lawrenceunaa: in Igbo land nit is a taboo for a male in a clan to sleep with a female from same c
plan
cos both are considered blood relations

Inbreeding weakens subsequent offspring immunologically hence making them less resistant to diseases!
Its well established in both Plant and Animal Kingdoms!

1 Like

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Nobody: 6:51am On Oct 01, 2014
In Ekiti where I did my NYSC,its a taboo to sleep at the reversed side of the mat.

2. In Ejirin,Epe,its a taboo to whistle.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Nobody: 6:51am On Oct 01, 2014
grass cutter should never by any means touch your joystick... e go disappear ....I no sleep the day my friend trow the thing for my pe*** I hold am till morning even my mama think say I dey masturbat* but na only me know wetin do me

7 Likes

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by jammani(m): 6:54am On Oct 01, 2014
cirmuell:

9. Oyan & Iresi towns of Osun state- Isoko River An Oyan born person must never drink from the waters of "Isoko River". why?
The story goes that, many years ago, an Oyan born lady went to Iresi town to marry. And after a very long years of childlessness, she gave birth to a boy. On a fateful day, the boy was easing himself when a dog came along and ate up the boy's you-know-what and the boy died. The woman cried and wailed "Ko sí oko ni idi omo mi mo o"(my boy's penis is gone) "Aja ti ja oko ni'di omo mi"(the dog has cut off my boy's penis). The pain and agony of this is what got the woman angry and she turned into a river(the river was named after the word the woman kept shouting that day "Kos'oko"wink years of contraction of words gave birth to the word "Isoko". And it became a taboo for anyone born in Oyan town to drink from that water.(since she's one of their own).

OP. Mee I'm from Oyan. But after reading up this line, I went straight to my mummy who just had a faint remembrance of the issue but maintains she heard the story from her grandmother. I think she is trying to acknowledge the fact that truly there is a river an Oyan born person must not drink from. If my mum(who is yoruba-culturally-inclined) should have a faint knowledge of this story, I bet yu the scenerio must have been in the 230bc grin
cirmuell:

9. Oyan & Iresi towns of Osun state- Isoko River An Oyan born person must never drink from the waters of "Isoko River". why?
The story goes that, many years ago, an Oyan born lady went to Iresi town to marry. And after a very long years of childlessness, she gave birth to a boy. On a fateful day, the boy was easing himself when a dog came along and ate up the boy's you-know-what and the boy died. The woman cried and wailed "Ko sí oko ni idi omo mi mo o"(my boy's penis is gone) "Aja ti ja oko ni'di omo mi"(the dog has cut off my boy's penis). The pain and agony of this is what got the woman angry and she turned into a river(the river was named after the word the woman kept shouting that day "Kos'oko"wink years of contraction of words gave birth to the word "Isoko". And it became a taboo for anyone born in Oyan town to drink from that water.(since she's one of their own).

OP. Mee I'm from Oyan. But after reading up this line, I went straight to my mummy who just had a faint remembrance of the issue but maintains she heard the story from her grandmother. I think she is trying to acknowledge the fact that truly there is a river an Oyan born person must not drink from. If my mum(who is yoruba-culturally-inclined) should have a faint knowledge of this story, I bet yu the scenerio must have been in the 230bc grin

4 Likes

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Nobody: 7:05am On Oct 01, 2014
cirmuell:

Every Tribe, Clan and Race on Earth has it own cultural taboo and the tribe Yoruba is not an exception.
In Yorubaland, every clan & family has it own distinct taboo apart from the collective ones.
Notable people that died going against the taboos of the land.
*. IFAGBENLE ODEBUNMI- IBADAN
*. ADEYEMI OYEDOKUN- MOPA
*. MAKINDE EKUNRIN- OYO

Sad thing is, New generation Yorubas don't even know about most of these taboos, most weren't born here. And what more...speaking the language in some homes & schools is a "taboo" talk more of knowing about thier culture.

*. The consequence of most of these taboos is certain death.

*. I'm not posting this to affirm these stuffs or dispute their authenticity, I just think it's worth sharing.

1. No King in the whole of Yorubaland must ever set his eyes inside the crown of his head.

2. If someone dies in a river, he must be buried beside the river. His corpse must never be returned home for burial to avoid mass death in that house. Even the whites know about this, yeah, Mungo Park.

3. Used Cotton bud that's got ear wax on it must never find it ways to the private part of both sexes.

4. Okètè (Grasscutter) It is believed that once it stands on it hinds leg, you must never kill it. Why? well, A child born to the killer of this weird animal will die the day he/she makes the first attempt to walk on his/her two legs.

5. Igbeti, OYO State- Iyamopo mountain(Rock) No visitor must climb this mountain on "Ajakuta day"(the day after Igbeti's market day)

6. The DunDun Drum also known as Gangan a very popular two-sided drum in yoruba land. Very popular for its unique sound, it can be used to pass across messages(talking drum). But, no matter how angry or offended the hearer is about the message being passed across, he must never pierce this drum with a knife in the midst of a crowd or gatherings. The one who does will end up with diseases and sicknesses that will eventually end his life.

7. The Cry of a Chameleon it is a belief in Yoruba land that a ear that hears the cry/wail/sound made by this animal will forever go deaf. shocked

8. Onikoyi clan/family of OYO State must never taste the meat of a Okete(grasscutter). There is a story behind this.

10. Otun-Ekiti- Ekiti State Once a King(OORE) is crowned in this town, he must never set his eyes on his parents henceforth..

Copyright Owner: Omobode Ayanda, he released a video cd years back "ÈÈWÒ Ile Yoruba". I selected some, interpreted and decided to share it with you guys. smiley
Okete is not Grasscutter. Okete is just a big rat.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by spicy244(f): 7:06am On Oct 01, 2014
I dunno hafa dis is true but I believe its in every culture. Tho I've not seen anybody suffer from the consequence.

When a child falls from the back of his/ her mother:

When a child falls down when he / she is still very small @ least before 41 days
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by rman: 7:23am On Oct 01, 2014
Maross:

don't try to explain away some of these age long taboos... I know some of them sound very "illogical" but how do you explain the experiences of people who have had to deal the consequences of violation?
I think there is something deeper and somewhat inexplicable that ties us to some of our customs and tradition of which taboos are derivatives.

So how many Igbo men have died from eating food cooked by thier adulterous wife? You are on a long thing if you think this has not happened severally.

Why would someone put a soiled cotton bud into his/her private part? Does that make sense even if it is not a taboo.

Why would u encourage people to swim and die in rivers and steams that the whole community use for domestic purposes.

I picked this three specifically because it is more of logic than taboo.

Religion, Taboos, Law, rules and regulation etc all serve the same purpose. Keep people in check to avoid a chaotic society. Men are wise.

Other ones stated by the OP like that of kings will soon fizzle out when the hip hop generation that schooled abroad start becoming kings.

For Oro in yoruba land, it is not ORO that kills women but PEOPLE killing People to Justify their own barbaric beliefs. I hope u know quite well that they behead those that violate the Oro rule. It is not as if these violators of Oro will just slump and die when they see it. They f.c..k.n behead them bro!

The other ones especially the rat " Okeke " standing on his hind legs has been debunked in Tey tey....

1 Like

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Owoplenty(m): 7:25am On Oct 01, 2014
Odua takan takan,tinu tinu.Yoruba for real.
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by MightySparrow: 7:26am On Oct 01, 2014
This taboo of a thing is all over the world. Even the civilized people are not left out.
1. US will not start a war until it is a particular night in the month at around 12: 00 a.m.
2. When a ship is dedicated in Britain, a bottle of wine is smashed on it. if the bottle does not break, no one enters such a ship for goddess Britannia has refused it , such ship is doomed to sink.
3. Japan does not give no 4 to their hospital room, because 4 also means pain.

Pls add your own.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by themmydhayhor(m): 7:34am On Oct 01, 2014
ejikechibuzor: In some parts of yoruba land, kings are not meant to see newly born babies shocked

Sho.................I neva hear dat 1 b4 oooo
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by lawrenceunaa: 7:40am On Oct 01, 2014
IdomaLikita:

Inbreeding weakens subsequent offspring immunologically hence making them less resistant to diseases!
Its well established in both Plant and Animal Kingdoms!
we are higher animals undecided
I learnt it ain't no taboo in Yoruba land

Peace
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by tonychristopher: 7:45am On Oct 01, 2014
Maross: ukwuani people:
1. it is considered sacrilegious to kill certain animals chief of which are the tortoises, sheep, alligators, snails (some parts). some of these animals are accorded full burial rites like humans when they are killed. bizarre things have happened to violators... very bizarre!
I almost died of a strange ailment some years back when I was in boarding school because I violated this particular one...I was completely healed after the necessary sacrifice was done.

2. A woman married to an ukwuani man is expected to stay faithful even if she is from a different ethnic extraction. if the husband eats the food cooked by his adulterous wife with funds provided by the other man, the husband will surely die! if the marriage is blessed with children, the kids will come down with very strange ailments unto death unless she confesses and the necessary rites are performed.

Same thing with my place in anambra and my wife is ogume
ukwuani

Who said ukwuani are not igbo

1 Like

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Fourwinds: 7:45am On Oct 01, 2014
MightySparrow: This taboo of a thing is all over the world. Even the civilized people are not left out.
1. US will not start a war until it is a particular night in the month at around 12: 00 a.m.
2. When a ship is dedicated in Britain, a bottle of wine is smashed on it. if the bottle does not break, no one enters such a ship for goddess Britannia has refused it , such ship is doomed to sink.
3. Japan does not give no 4 to their hospital room, because 4 also means pain.

Pls add your own.
yah. as I have observe.,USA major war is around dat time(start it).
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by tonychristopher: 7:45am On Oct 01, 2014
lawrenceunaa: we are higher animals undecided
I learnt it ain't no taboo in Yoruba land

Peace

Yes

In breeding is norm
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by tonychristopher: 7:49am On Oct 01, 2014
Igbos forbid adultery ...its a big taboo for an Igbo man to sleep with another man wife ...in my place if he does that he sleep away his destiny

It is also bigger taboo for a wife to cheat..if he does that and cook for the man the stomach will swell and the man businesses affected

In my own part of Igbo anambra

We do not kill pythons and boa constrictor

Its also a taboo

1 Like

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Nobody: 7:59am On Oct 01, 2014
No 1 and 2 is almost unrealistic. In my own words impossible especially no 1

No 10 is a throne for BASTARDS only. Non-sense

1 Like

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Isiterere(m): 7:59am On Oct 01, 2014
cirmuell:

4. Okètè (Grasscutter) It is believed that once it stands on it hinds leg, you must never kill it. Why? well, A child born to the killer of this weird animal will die the day he/she makes the first attempt to walk on his/her two legs.
Okètè or EWU should be MOUSE because GRASSCUTTER is OYA

ALL IZZ WELL

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Some Legendary Nigerian Pictures And Quotes / South Africa Culture Shock: 2 Scantly Dressed Women, Different Public Reactions / Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.