Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,054 members, 7,821,628 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) (56882 Views)

What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? / What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area / Taboos/abomination!: List Actions/deeds That Are Deemed Taboos In Your Culture. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Nobody: 8:09am On Oct 01, 2014
proud omo odua here... may we remain united and grow from strenght to strenght...

1 Like

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by dieselengine3(m): 8:26am On Oct 01, 2014
Pls,i want to know.A man sleeping with his daughter in yoruba if its not a Taboo?
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Nobody: 8:27am On Oct 01, 2014
Atmmachine: Are you tired of life ??
Do you want to die ??
If your answer is #Yes !!!!!!!!!
Smell a Yoruba girl's pant grin grin
oma oloshi

2 Likes

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by topearos(m): 8:29am On Oct 01, 2014
1goodman:

I strongly disagree wt point no 1: the ologotun of ogotun-ekiti is the only king that can look inside his crown...
I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong.
shed more light on that bro.
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by topearos(m): 8:32am On Oct 01, 2014
ejikechibuzor: In some parts of yoruba land, kings are not meant to see newly born babies shocked
hummm! tor!
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by IYANGBALI: 8:42am On Oct 01, 2014
There is also this one,once a diick comes out of a kunt it must bend its head to say thank you,whether the kunt is sweet or not

1 Like

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by IYANGBALI: 8:48am On Oct 01, 2014
Atmmachine: Are you tired of life ??
Do you want to die ??
If your answer is #Yes !!!!!!!!!
Smell a Yoruba girl's pant grin grin
mtcheeeeeeew,dry joke,very very dry,say something better. tongue

1 Like

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by prince133(m): 9:03am On Oct 01, 2014
Just forget yoruba's rubbish cultures...they are very dirty set of people

2 Likes

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Decryptor(m): 9:04am On Oct 01, 2014
dieselengine3: Pls,i want to know.A man sleeping with his daughter in yoruba if its not a Taboo?

It is not! That is why you hear of countless cases of yoruba men impregnating their daughters everyday.

1 Like

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by lawrenceunaa: 9:15am On Oct 01, 2014
tonychristopher:

Yes

In breeding is norm
so then as a Yoruba u can marry ur own sis abi cheesy
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by cirmuell(m): 9:17am On Oct 01, 2014
Isiterere:
Okètè or EWU should be MOUSE because GRASSCUTTER is OYA

ALL IZZ WELL
hmm, okay thanks a lot. But I think Oya is Antelope. Do an image search on google for grasscutter you'll see.
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by jasper83: 9:25am On Oct 01, 2014
Don't know hw true this is, in Yoruba land. A male concubine must never die in his female concubine house especially if she is married to another man. As in a man servicing the wife of another man in the house of the real husband and he dies there. His corpse must be thrown out from the window to avoid mysterious death in that male concubine lineage.
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by cirmuell(m): 9:27am On Oct 01, 2014
IYANGBALI: There is also this one,once a diick comes out of a kunt it must bend its head to say thank you,whether the kunt is sweet or not
grin you no well walahi!
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by cirmuell(m): 9:29am On Oct 01, 2014
prince133: Just forget yoruba's rubbish cultures...they are very dirty set of people
I'm sure you'll go berserk if someone else says same about you, your culture or tribe innit? undecided

1 Like

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by cirmuell(m): 9:32am On Oct 01, 2014
Hishuula: grass cutter should never by any means touch your joystick... e go disappear ....I no sleep the day my friend trow the thing for my pe*** I hold am till morning even my mama think say I dey masturbat* but na only me know wetin do me
gringrin
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by cirmuell(m): 9:36am On Oct 01, 2014
honor2011:
Okete is not Grasscutter. Okete is just a big rat.
really? Thanks, I guess it's safe to call it bush rat then.
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by focus7: 9:58am On Oct 01, 2014
Op I don't know about the others o but number 4 na lie. Go and ask them in my village, those youth will tell u that they will kill Okete at any position.

1 Like

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by NwaAnambra(m): 10:01am On Oct 01, 2014
My own is, why are there no fine clean cut girls in Ikirun Osun state ?
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by IYANGBALI: 10:04am On Oct 01, 2014
cirmuell: grin you no well walahi!
me too I know say I no well
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Isiterere(m): 10:04am On Oct 01, 2014
cirmuell: hmm, okay thanks a lot. But I think Oya is Antelope. Do an image search on google for grasscutter you'll see.
nope , you're missing it; Antelope is IGALA(very big like goat but with a distinct horns ) while grasscutter is OYA (bigger than Mouse-OKETE and rat-EKUTE or EKU or EMO)

ALL IZZ WELL

1 Like

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by cirmuell(m): 10:05am On Oct 01, 2014
Isiterere:
nope , you're missing it; Antelope is IGALA(very big like goat but with a distinct horns ) while grasscutter is OYA (bigger than Mouse-OKETE and rat-EKUTE or EKU or EMO)

ALL IZZ WELL
yeah thanks bro. Bush Rat it is.

1 Like

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by IYANGBALI: 10:05am On Oct 01, 2014
NwaAnambra: My own is, why are there no fine clean cut girls in Ikirun Osun state ?
they have all been kidnapped
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by IYANGBALI: 10:10am On Oct 01, 2014
prince133: Just forget yoruba's rubbish cultures...they are very dirty set of people
that your sickness don come back abi?abeg go back go meet your doctor

1 Like

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by NwaAnambra(m): 10:23am On Oct 01, 2014
IYANGBALI: they have all been kidnapped
it's so annoying. Every evening you take a w
alk and come back with sighting a sharp girl
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Ego2(f): 10:54am On Oct 01, 2014
Jennydoris: Scary Taboo especially Numbers 4 and 7 sad. Then No 9, seriously that dog is a demon sad.

Here are the Taboos and consequences in Igbo Land.

ADULTERY; When a married woman commits
adultery,she is likely to run mad and the husband is
liable to die if he eats her meal knowingly.When a
married man commits adultery,he is likely to have a
set-back in his business. (I heard this from an Arochukwu woman, Arochukwu is in Abia State)

TEENAGE PREGNANCY; This happens when a young
girl gets pregnant outside wedlock. It hinders the
young woman's ability to get married and when she
eventually gets married, she is either married as a
second or third wife OR married to an old dying Man though some of them are still lucky to get married to a young man that has not married before.

MARRIAGE BLESSINGS; If one gets married without
consulting his/her parents for blessing, problems
such as Barreness,divorce or death are bound to
occur while the man's business may wreck.
(except for orphans mind you)

HAVING intimate RELATIONSHIP WITH SIBLINGS;
This is considered as the Highest taboo,the
consequences are Epilepsy,blindness, being deaf
and dumb,poverty or even death might occur.

KILLING/EATING OF CERTAIN ANIMALS; Some parts
in Ala Igbo consider the killing of Python, monkey,
Cats, Alligator, Vulture, Bats as taboo. This might
attract a fine from the victim. Consequences are
Poverty and Death.

OSU; This is another highly respected tradition. An
Osu is someone who is considered an outcast
because he/she is owned by the gods, as a
result,no one is expected to have any dealings with
an osu in terms of marriage or business. Women
Osu are known to remain unmarried till the rest of
their life or marry late or marry a man who is also an OSU. While male osu are known to
be poor. (I don't know how true this is because I know many OSU men that are very very rich, I mean very rich).

USE OF LEFT HAND; you shouldn't eat,write,Give or
receive with your left hand. This is considered an
act of disrespect and highly frowned at. It has no
Consequences but it's better you write or eat with left hand but not to give or accept with the left hand. It shows sign of disrespect especially if you're dealing with an elderly person.

NB: some of these listed taboos have been obliterated especially with the emergence of Christianity and education.
OSU men are known too be rich nt poor

1 Like

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Gozillar: 11:03am On Oct 01, 2014
1. Don't look in-between ur legs in the market place

2. Never you step on salt

3. Never sleep with a woman who is on her period.
Blah bla blah
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by nijanigga: 11:07am On Oct 01, 2014
capital nonsense.
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Jennydoris(f): 11:25am On Oct 01, 2014
cirmuell: wow...yeah I kinda agree with your last sentence. But people still belief and keep to some of these stuffs though especially in Yorubaland.

Same here. Some igbo land have abolished OSU(OUTCAST) yet some families don't like giving out their female children to an OSU man or a man Marrying an OSU woman. In my town I heard it has been abolished but with the way people isolate themselves from them one will think that they have EBOLA. Every other taboo may be abolished in igbo land including the osu but this OSU is something that people can't just let go because of the stigma that comes with it. In my village if a man is coming to ask for your hand in marriage your family will make sure that they get a very good information concerning the man's family especially if the man's name(surname) is NWOSU or NWAGBARA sad, the man's family will also make enquiries about your own family. Nobody wants to live in isolation after the marriage.

1 Like

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by cirmuell(m): 11:30am On Oct 01, 2014
Jennydoris:

Same here. Some igbo land have abolished OSU(OUTCAST) yet some families don't like giving out their female children to an OSU man or a man Marrying an OSU woman. In my town I heard it has been abolished but with the way people isolate themselves from them one will think that they have EBOLA. Every other taboo may be abolished in igbo land including the osu but this OSU is something that people can't just let go because of the stigma that comes with it. In my village if a man is coming to ask for your hand in marriage your family will make sure that they get a very good information concerning the man's family especially if the man's name(surname) is NWOSU or NWAGBARA sad, the man's family will also make enquiries about your own family. Nobody wants to live in isolation after the marriage.
yeah that's true. They do some digging about families too over here, though there's nothing like the Osu stigmatization...just to make sure both party come from a good family. And even this is being relegated now, as people just do brief introduction an go ahead with their wedding.
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Ajayiawo: 11:34am On Oct 01, 2014
Point of correction: Point number 4 , The TRANSLATION of 'OKETE' in English is RABBIT and NOT Grasscutter.
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by cirmuell(m): 11:43am On Oct 01, 2014
Ajayiawo: Point of correction: Point number 4 , The TRANSLATION of 'OKETE' in English is RABBIT and NOT Grasscutter.
noted, "Eworo" is Rabbit though! wink
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Jennydoris(f): 11:43am On Oct 01, 2014
biafranqueen: You have done well!

I remember hearing if a man see's his wife's private part while giving birth he will go blind at an early age.
Committing Suicide is a taboo and if the corpse is not put through a cleansing ritual before burial the land would be cursed.

"I remember hearing if a man see's his wife's private part while giving birth he will go blind at an early age." shocked. This is my first time of hearing this one. Nawa for some traditions shaa.
As for committing a suicide, in my place if the person is a pagan then his/her pagan family and friends will be the ones to bury him/her. But if he/she is a christian there are certain things that the christian families will deny the deceased person, but now if a christian commits a suicide they will give the person his or her full funeral rites but the burial ceremony must not exceed a day or two and the person must be buried before his or her funeral day.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo Gifts Wife, Omowumi A New House - Pictures / Prince Monday Obukeni Weds 2 Women Ufuoma Ozoro, Oghale Andrew Same Day In Delta / Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.