Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,656 members, 7,809,482 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:24 AM

10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) (56728 Views)

What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? / What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area / Taboos/abomination!: List Actions/deeds That Are Deemed Taboos In Your Culture. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by sherrylo: 11:49am On Oct 01, 2014
cirmuell: noted, "Eworo" is Rabbit though! wink
yes, Rabbit is Eworo

1 Like

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Jennydoris(f): 11:57am On Oct 01, 2014
Ego2: OSU men are known too be rich nt poor

OSU men were known to be very poor because of the way they were isolated from people. In the olden days they were not allowed to buy or sell to a free born, they don't mingle with their age mate or age grade, they don't have a farm of their own except the one that belongs to the gods that shelters them. An osu can only buy or sell to a fellow osu or to another person when they travel away from their village. So when they don't interact with people, they don't buy or sell to them how will they make their money. Even feeding was a problem to them then, they only feed with the help of the foods dedicated to the god that shelters them by the idol worshippers then. An osu is someone that was dedicated to an arusi(deity), or someone that ran to a deity for protection from evil men. And if any one harms the person then, the deity will strike the person dead or the arusi will inflict a deadly disease on the person. So with this the free born igbos stays clear away from them for fear of hurting or harming them. But it's no longer like that. They are allowed to do anything except for the issue of marriage. You hardly see an osu marry a free born like the igbos will call it except if the free born is from another state and if the person don't know that the person in question is an osu.
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by esperiense(m): 12:01pm On Oct 01, 2014
Atmmachine:

What if someone accidentally dies in the presence of the king, what will happen ??
They will knock his head ten times and throw him out thru the window cry
Atmmachine:

What if someone accidentally dies in the presence of the king, what will happen ??
They will knock his head ten times and throw him out thru the window
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Jennydoris(f): 12:14pm On Oct 01, 2014
cirmuell: yeah that's through. They do some digging about families too over here, though there's nothing like the Osu stigmatization...just to make sure both party come from a good family. And even this is being relegated now, as people just do brief introduction an go ahead with their wedding.

Ok. In my place your family will be very sure of the man/woman's family background before any introductions. It's after their enquiries that they will now fix the date for the introduction and collecting of the list by the man's family. Even, they don't just enquire if your are an osu, they also ask if the person has any disability or if there is any disability in the family grin. Like madness, cripple, blindness, or anything of that's sort. The igbos then believe that any family that has such disabilities then is as a result of a curse from the gods of their land.

1 Like

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Networkingprof: 1:02pm On Oct 01, 2014
Gr8t thread. www.netmax.vemma.com, hapi independent nigeria.
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by thatchick: 2:06pm On Oct 01, 2014
How about a baby must never fall down from the mother's back. If not he/she will loose his/her spouse(abi na gf/bf) seven times.

Salt must never pour on the ground in a house, fight must happen in that household when it happens.

You must never eat at a doorstep.

When going out and you hit your foot(either left or right,not sure), its better you go back and not continue your journey or else bad news awaits you.

You can't sweep or wash at night.

Yoruba land has so many of them that you can't even keep up if you want to
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by donodion(m): 2:06pm On Oct 01, 2014
biafranqueen: You have done well!

I remember hearing if a man see's his wife's private part while giving birth he will go blind at an early age.
Committing Suicide is a taboo and if the corpse is not put through a cleansing ritual before burial the land would be cursed.

I.almost faint with lafta at a man musnt see his wife private part during labor or giving part...many make doctors and nurses should be dead by now cos of that. hahahahahhahahaha

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by esmarcq(m): 3:08pm On Oct 01, 2014
in my clan,they dont eat pigs ... reason : that after a certain war, the people could not get water to drink and people were dying of thirst, well as they said, a pig lead them to a stream where they got water to quench their thirst... and thats tha reason why dey respect pigs by not eating pigs...

1 Like

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Nobody: 3:40pm On Oct 01, 2014
Atmmachine:

ETUTU

2 Likes

Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by biafranqueen: 4:54pm On Oct 01, 2014
Jennydoris:

"I remember hearing if a man see's his wife's private part while giving birth he will go blind at an early age." shocked. This is my first time of hearing this one. Nawa for some traditions shaa.
As for committing a suicide, in my place if the person is a pagan then his/her pagan family and friends will be the ones to bury him/her. But if he/she is a christian there are certain things that the christian families will deny the deceased person, but now if a christian commits a suicide they will give the person his or her full funeral rites but the burial ceremony must not exceed a day or two and the person must be buried before his or her funeral day.
Dalu for the clarification on suicide! As for the labor part my Grandmother was a midwife in the LGA this is what she told my cousin and I.
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by biafranqueen: 4:55pm On Oct 01, 2014
donodion:

I.almost faint with lafta at a man musnt see his wife private part during labor or giving part...many make doctors and nurses should be dead by now cos of that. hahahahahhahahaha
The husband not anybody else and this was before hospitals, when people used midwife.
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by San2ski(m): 7:29pm On Oct 01, 2014
Jennydoris: Scary Taboo especially Numbers 4 and 7 sad. Then No 9, seriously that dog is a demon sad.

You don't call the snake by it's name at night, lest....

You don't stand with ur two feet on a kernel stone. If you do you became a dwarf.

You don't have traditional wedding on 'Eke' market days.

It's a taboo for a woman to die on an "Eke" day.

you don't look thru ur legs in the street else you see spirits.

You don't look in the mirror at night lest you see ghosts.

You don't start a morning kitchen fire without removing the previous days ash or someone will get catarrh.

ABEG MAKE I GO CHECK MY INDOMIE FOR STOVE

And outsider does not pluck/harvest the first fruit of a tree.

Here are the Taboos and consequences in Igbo Land.

ADULTERY; When a married woman commits
adultery,she is likely to run mad and the husband is
liable to die if he eats her meal knowingly.When a
married man commits adultery,he is likely to have a
set-back in his business. (I heard this from an Arochukwu woman, Arochukwu is in Abia State)

TEENAGE PREGNANCY; This happens when a young
girl gets pregnant outside wedlock. It hinders the
young woman's ability to get married and when she
eventually gets married, she is either married as a
second or third wife OR married to an old dying Man though some of them are still lucky to get married to a young man that has not married before.

MARRIAGE BLESSINGS; If one gets married without
consulting his/her parents for blessing, problems
such as Barreness,divorce or death are bound to
occur while the man's business may wreck.
(except for orphans mind you)

HAVING intimate RELATIONSHIP WITH SIBLINGS;
This is considered as the Highest taboo,the
consequences are Epilepsy,blindness, being deaf
and dumb,poverty or even death might occur.

KILLING/EATING OF CERTAIN ANIMALS; Some parts
in Ala Igbo consider the killing of Python, monkey,
Cats, Alligator, Vulture, Bats as taboo. This might
attract a fine from the victim. Consequences are
Poverty and Death.

OSU; This is another highly respected tradition. An
Osu is someone who is considered an outcast
because he/she is owned by the gods, as a
result,no one is expected to have any dealings with
an osu in terms of marriage or business. Women
Osu are known to remain unmarried till the rest of
their life or marry late or marry a man who is also an OSU. While male osu are known to
be poor. (I don't know how true this is because I know many OSU men that are very very rich, I mean very rich).

USE OF LEFT HAND; you shouldn't eat,write,Give or
receive with your left hand. This is considered an
act of disrespect and highly frowned at. It has no
Consequences but it's better you write or eat with left hand but not to give or accept with the left hand. It shows sign of disrespect especially if you're dealing with an elderly person.

NB: some of these listed taboos have been obliterated especially with the emergence of Christianity and education.
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by lovaleenny(f): 9:28pm On Oct 01, 2014
rman:

So how many Igbo men have died from eating food cooked by thier adulterous wife? You are on a long thing if you think this has not happened severally.

Why would someone put a soiled cotton bud into his/her private part? Does that make sense even if it is not a taboo.

Why would u encourage people to swim and die in rivers and steams that the whole community use for domestic purposes.

I picked this three specifically because it is more of logic than taboo.

Religion, Taboos, Law, rules and regulation etc all serve the same purpose. Keep people in check to avoid a chaotic society. Men are wise.

Other ones stated by the OP like that of kings will soon fizzle out when the hip hop generation that schooled abroad start becoming kings.

For Oro in yoruba land, it is not ORO that kills women but PEOPLE killing People to Justify their own barbaric beliefs. I hope u know quite well that they behead those that violate the Oro rule. It is not as if these violators of Oro will just slump and die when they see it. They f.c..k.n behead them bro!

The other ones especially the rat " Okeke " standing on his hind legs has been debunked in Tey tey....

Gbam!
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Bifwoli: 12:48am On Oct 02, 2014
Is there a Yoruba cultural taboo to never accept that other areas in Naija are just as good in building their own urban areas?
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by gbodimowo(m): 2:44am On Oct 02, 2014
jnrbayano:

In addition, women don't:

Wear masquerade or go close to it.
Break kolanuts.
Climb trees.
Attend Age Grade meetings.

Etc

Are you sure I have friends ladies who climb tress and attend age grade meetings yearly they can kill you if you stop them
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by jnrbayano(m): 7:12am On Oct 02, 2014
gbodimowo:

Are you sure I have friends ladies who climb tress and attend age grade meetings yearly they can kill you if you stop them

Not in a sane Igbo community.
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Larrylarex(m): 11:25am On Oct 02, 2014
It is forbidden for a King to shed tears... and btw okete is rabbit not grasscutter, grasscutter is called Oya or Ewuju, ehoro is hare not rabbit. Informative thread all the same.
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Nobody: 3:06pm On Oct 02, 2014
I heard that if a well known market is closed(in yoruba land) that the king would die, how true is it?
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Jeezy: 5:07pm On Oct 02, 2014
My nose is tingling....i smell BS
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by onila(f): 6:28pm On Oct 04, 2014
Bifwoli:
Is there a Yoruba cultural taboo to never accept that other areas in Naija are just as good in building their own urban areas?
grin
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by SenatorJames(m): 8:13pm On Oct 04, 2014
Jennydoris:
Scary Taboo especially Numbers 4 and 7 sad. Then No 9, seriously that dog is a demon sad.

Here are the Taboos and consequences in Igbo Land.

ADULTERY; When a married woman commits
adultery,she is likely to run mad and the husband is
liable to die if he eats her meal knowingly.When a
married man commits adultery,he is likely to have a
set-back in his business. (I heard this from an Arochukwu woman, Arochukwu is in Abia State)

TEENAGE PREGNANCY; This happens when a young
girl gets pregnant outside wedlock. It hinders the
young woman's ability to get married and when she
eventually gets married, she is either married as a
second or third wife OR married to an old dying Man though some of them are still lucky to get married to a young man that has not married before.

MARRIAGE BLESSINGS; If one gets married without
consulting his/her parents for blessing, problems
such as Barreness,divorce or death are bound to
occur while the man's business may wreck.
(except for orphans mind you)

HAVING intimate RELATIONSHIP WITH SIBLINGS;
This is considered as the Highest taboo,the
consequences are Epilepsy,blindness, being deaf
and dumb,poverty or even death might occur.

KILLING/EATING OF CERTAIN ANIMALS; Some parts
in Ala Igbo consider the killing of Python, monkey,
Cats, Alligator, Vulture, Bats as taboo. This might
attract a fine from the victim. Consequences are
Poverty and Death.

OSU; This is another highly respected tradition. An
Osu is someone who is considered an outcast
because he/she is owned by the gods, as a
result,no one is expected to have any dealings with
an osu in terms of marriage or business. Women
Osu are known to remain unmarried till the rest of
their life or marry late or marry a man who is also an OSU. While male osu are known to
be poor. (I don't know how true this is because I know many OSU men that are very very rich, I mean very rich).

USE OF LEFT HAND; you shouldn't eat,write,Give or
receive with your left hand. This is considered an
act of disrespect and highly frowned at. It has no
Consequences but it's better you write or eat with left hand but not to give or accept with the left hand. It shows sign of disrespect especially if you're dealing with an elderly person.

NB: some of these listed taboos have been obliterated especially with the emergence of Christianity and education.
Thank God for your last statement.

But I do tell people that "Grace is not an excuse to sin, it will make you to avoid sin"
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Jennydoris(f): 8:28pm On Oct 04, 2014
SenatorJames:
Thank God for your last statement.

But I do tell people that "Grace is not an excuse to sin, it will make you to avoid sin"

Ok noted. But how did 'Grace and Sin' come into this. Please don't be offended it's just a question.
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by onyenro(m): 4:06pm On Oct 06, 2014
felifeli:
Picking your teeth after drinking water is taboo in my town Maiduguri grin
what's the consequence if this action?
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by onyenro(m): 4:25pm On Oct 06, 2014
In Ibo land, you don't cut a tree with fruits on it. leads to barrenness. You cut a tree after the fruiting season is over.
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by felifeli: 4:36pm On Oct 06, 2014
onyenro:

what's the consequence if this action?
You will go to bed hungry. People will think you have eaten .
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Morhziez(m): 8:19pm On Oct 13, 2014
Ipledge:
In yoruba land king must not see corpse...

The surest death penalty is when a woman set her eyes on oro
hmm
Re: 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) by Nobody: 7:36pm On Feb 06, 2015
Taboo in my Culture (Modernized)

1: You must never return ill-gained Profit the same day you made it - ie If I sell a faulty spare-part worth N100 for N1000 to you and you later discover this. I must tell you a story that the money has been put to use and you cannot get it until a week later . you can only buy a better spare-part by adding some more money - in the end, I have sold you a spare-part worth N200 for N1,200 shocked grin grin grin tongue

2: You must never relent on cheating a loyal customer once he becomes a Mugu - If someone falls for your first Price, continue to increase it in subsequent transactions in spite of the fact that the price in the market is stable tongue

3: Never build your Final Resting House in your home-town, keep all the proceeds of your business in the bank and invested in various markets from Alaba, Balogun, Ikeja, Apapa, Okokomaiko, Eba, Ojo and Badagary. Build your house in Lagos and put it up for rent, while you live in rented accomodation

4: Marry an educated yoruba woman - they have roots to wealth wink

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Some Legendary Nigerian Pictures And Quotes / The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) / Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.