Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,281 members, 7,811,832 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

Difficult Bible Questions - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Difficult Bible Questions (6114 Views)

Know Your Bible Trivia **bible Questions** / Bible Questions-1; Did The Bible Endorse Slavery? / Some Breakfast Bible Questions To Start The Day. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difficult Bible Questions by Nobody: 6:44pm On Oct 03, 2014
POST YOUR DIFFICULT BIBLE QUESTIONS YOU DONT UNDERSTAND HERE AND I WILL GIVE YOU ANSWERS.
Re: Difficult Bible Questions by udatso: 10:31pm On Oct 03, 2014
Here is one problem.
www.nairaland.com/1922990/christians-problem#26668475

Quoting pr0ton
And this Jesus is just too wonderful that I find
wonders in His words. Ok. Here is the problem:
Luke 24:46
" and [Jesus] said to them, "Thus it is written ,
that the Christ should suffer and on the third day
rise from the dead"
And... The inspired Apostle Paul
1 st Corinthians 15:4
" that he [Jesus] was buried, that he was raise on
the third day in accordance with the scriptures "
Jesus and Paul allededly declear that it is written
in the scriptures/Old Testament that the Christ
would die and be raised from the dead on the
third day . Just where can I find this in the Old
Testament?
That's the problem. Thanks
Re: Difficult Bible Questions by Freksy(m): 1:15am On Oct 04, 2014
udatso: Here is one problem.

Quoting pr0ton
rise from the dead"
Testament?

Scripture talks about Jesus' suffering, death and subsequent resurrection in many places, prophetic terms and sign(s). Prominent among these, and in connection to your concern is "the sign of Jonah".

Jonah's three days/nights stay in the belly of the big fish was a message about Christ death and subsequent resurrection (after three days) given in "sign". Fittingly, this significant message was later made known by the very man, Jesus, in his answer to the scribes and Pharisees.

38 Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee.

39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

41 The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here. Matt. 12:38-41

3 Likes

Re: Difficult Bible Questions by udatso: 6:50am On Oct 04, 2014
Freksy:

Scripture talks about Jesus' suffering, death and subsequent resurrection in many places, prophetic terms and sign(s). Prominent among these, and in connection to your concern is "the sign of Jonah".

Jonah's three days/nights stay in the belly of the big fish was a message about Christ death and subsequent resurrection (after three days) given in "sign". Fittingly, this significant message was later made known by the very man, Jesus, in his answer to the scribes and Pharisees.

38 Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee.

39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

41 The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here. Matt. 12:38-41

Even though this explanation is wrong, I will come to it later.
Where in the old testament was his 3 days mentioned. What you have done is still quote from the new testament and relate it to the old testament. What am asking is quote (a prophecy) from the old testament and relate it to the 3 days.
And as for the sign of Jonas, it's not similar to Jesus as the Bible tells us
Re: Difficult Bible Questions by Nobody: 6:51am On Oct 04, 2014
udatso: Here is one problem.

Quoting pr0ton
rise from the dead"
Testament?
READ ISAIAH 9
Re: Difficult Bible Questions by udatso: 7:03am On Oct 04, 2014
Smallville10: READ ISAIAH 9
I have read the chapter an d I çant find a place where
("and [Jesus] said to them, "Thus it is
written ,
that the Christ should suffer and on the
third day
rise from the dead""wink or where
( " that he [Jesus] was buried, that he was
raise on
the third day in accordance with the
scriptures "wink is written. Maybe I. Must have missed it. Could you please point out the verse
Re: Difficult Bible Questions by Nobody: 7:35am On Oct 04, 2014
udatso:
I have read the chapter an d I çant find a place where
("and [Jesus] said to them, "Thus it is
written ,
that the Christ should suffer and on the
third day
rise from the dead""wink or where
( " that he [Jesus] was buried, that he was
raise on
the third day in accordance with the
scriptures "wink is written. Maybe I. Must have missed it. Could you please point out the verse
daniel 9v24, micah 7v20, mal 3v1
Re: Difficult Bible Questions by udatso: 8:08am On Oct 04, 2014
Smallville10: daniel 9v24, micah 7v20, mal 3v1
Okay so we have shifted from isaiah. It's like you do not read the quotations you give here. Let's take a look at Daniel 9v24
(“Seventy weeks[ a ] are determined
For your people and for your holy city,
To finish the transgression,
To make an end of[ b] sins,
To make reconciliation for iniquity,
To bring in everlasting righteousness,
To seal up vision and prophecy,
And to anoint the Most Holy.) please show me where it talks of dying and then rising on the 3rd day

Again let's look at micah 7v20
( hou wilt perform the truth to Jacob,
and the mercy to Abraham, which thou hast
sworn unto our fathers from the days of old.)
Again how does this solve the problem

Let's look at your last quotation malachi 3v1
( “Behold, I send my messenger, and he will
prepare the way before me. And the Lord whom
you seek will suddenly come to his temple; and
the messenger of the covenant in whom you
delight, behold, he is coming, says the Lord of
hosts.)

How do all these talk about Jesus been persecuted /died and rose on the third day.
Next time you put a verse, you should confirm it before doing that
Re: Difficult Bible Questions by MightySparrow: 4:56pm On Oct 04, 2014
Paul was not talking about no of days in the graves but the fact that Jesus was going to be killed as sacrifice for sin. The Bible did not actually say that He was going to be hanged on a cross. In fact, if any one would think of His death as sacrifice, it was reasonable to be offered on an altar. Galatian 3: 13 - 14 was interpreted by Paul by quoting Deuteronomy to infer that man's curse fell on Jesus by the kind of death He died.
Having said that, Jesus said, the Jonah's experience was equivalent to a prophecy. This He called a 'sign'. What is a sign?
An occurrence that validates a 'call' A seal of divine backing.
Certain things of sort like these are fulfilled in then earthly ministry of Jesus that are taken for prophecy.
In theological circle, they are called types and anti - types.
A type is an occurrence that happens in OT or a personality that manifested that acted as what the ministry of Jesus stands for.
Shiloh for instance refers to a person in Genesis 49:10; a place in first Samuel 3: 21, and understood to be Jesus in NT.

I hope your question is answered.
Re: Difficult Bible Questions by udatso: 9:19pm On Oct 04, 2014
MightySparrow:
Paul was not talking about no of days in the graves but the fact that Jesus was going to be killed as sacrifice for sin. The Bible did not actually say that He was going to be hanged on a cross. In fact, if any one would think of His death as sacrifice, it was reasonable to be offered on an altar. Galatian 3: 13 - 14 was interpreted by Paul by quoting Deuteronomy to infer that man's curse fell on Jesus by the kind of death He died.
Having said that, Jesus said, the Jonah's experience was equivalent to a prophecy. This He called a 'sign'. What is a sign?
An occurrence that validates a 'call' A seal of divine backing.
Certain things of sort like these are fulfilled in then earthly ministry of Jesus that are taken for prophecy.
In theological circle, they are called types and anti - types.
A type is an occurrence that happens in OT or a personality that manifested that acted as what the ministry of Jesus stands for.
Shiloh for instance refers to a person in Genesis 49:10; a place in first Samuel 3: 21, and understood to be Jesus in NT.

I hope your question is answered.
I believe you forgot the quotations again. Let me help you out
rise from the dead"

3rd day occur in both verses and you are giving your explanation that it's not important?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Difficult Bible Questions by bigblangston: 9:55pm On Oct 04, 2014
Freksy:

Bt to my own calculation sir, jesus did nt spend 3 days and 3 nights in d earth because he died on friday probably afternoon and he resurrected on sunday (morning or afternoon) then hw did he spend 3 days and 3 nights, pls explain sir

1 Like

Re: Difficult Bible Questions by malvisguy212: 9:59pm On Oct 04, 2014
udatso:
Here is one problem.

Quoting pr0ton
rise from the dead"
Testament?
Re: Difficult Bible Questions by malvisguy212: 10:01pm On Oct 04, 2014
udatso:
Here is one problem.

Quoting pr0ton
rise from the dead"
Testament?
the sacrifice of abraham to isaac is a foreshadowing event of what God
will do to his son as a sacrifice to the world. It take 3DAYS AND 3NIGHT
for the sacrifice to happen, and ond the THIRD DAY God substitute isaac
to the LAMB, on many occation bible liken jesus to be the LAMB OF GOD
THAT TAKE AWAY THE SINS OF THE WORLD,JESUS OTHER NAME IS LAMB
OF GOD.

1 Like

Re: Difficult Bible Questions by udatso: 11:05pm On Oct 04, 2014
malvisguy212:
the sacrifice of abraham to isaac is a foreshadowing event of what God
will do to his son as a sacrifice to the world. It take 3DAYS AND 3NIGHT
for the sacrifice to happen, and ond the THIRD DAY God substitute isaac
to the LAMB, on many occation bible liken jesus to be the LAMB OF GOD
THAT TAKE AWAY THE SINS OF THE WORLD,JESUS OTHER NAME IS LAMB
OF GOD.

your explanations are not clear. please explain with references from the Bible So I can follow up
Re: Difficult Bible Questions by MightySparrow: 12:55am On Oct 05, 2014
udatso:

I believe you forgot the quotations again. Let me help you out
rise from the dead"

3rd day occur in both verses and you are giving your explanation that it's not important?

OK I am following to see the reference.
Re: Difficult Bible Questions by lyfe(m): 1:33am On Oct 05, 2014
Did Jesus have siblings?

Were there other people co-habiting on earth in the days of Adam and Eve. How did the multiplication occur without incest.
Re: Difficult Bible Questions by udatso: 6:20am On Oct 05, 2014
bigblangston:
Bt to my own calculation sir, jesus did nt spend 3 days and 3 nights in d earth because he died on friday probably afternoon and he resurrected on sunday (morning or afternoon) then hw did he spend 3 days and 3 nights, pls explain sir

Yeah. I was going to also bring back this. it wasn't 3 days and 3 night. but I want them to finish with this ccurrent ones first.
Re: Difficult Bible Questions by Nobody: 8:01am On Oct 05, 2014
lyfe:
Did Jesus have siblings?

Were there other people co-habiting on earth in the days of Adam and Eve. How did the multiplication occur without incest.
JESUS HAD SIBLINGS NOT RECORDED. AND THE POPULATION OF THE WORLD WAS DONE BY ADAM AND EVE THEY GAVE BIRTH TO OVER 20 CHILDREN NOT RECORDED IN THE BIBLE. THEY MARRIED EACH OTHER AND SPREAD ALL OVER THE WORLD
Re: Difficult Bible Questions by Nobody: 8:05am On Oct 05, 2014
udatso:

your explanations are not clear. please explain with references from the Bible So I can follow up
IN OTHER FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND CERTAIN THINGS YOU OUGHT TO THINK OUT OF THE BOX. NOT ALL ARE RECORDED IN THE BIBLE. I HAVE DONE ALOT OF RESEARCH OUT OF THE BIBLE.
Re: Difficult Bible Questions by udatso: 8:16am On Oct 05, 2014
Smallville10:
IN OTHER FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND CERTAIN THINGS YOU OUGHT TO THINK OUT OF THE BOX. NOT ALL ARE RECORDED IN THE BIBLE. I HAVE DONE ALOT OF RESEARCH OUT OF THE BIBLE.
can you Please be quiet and let people that have knowledge reply to this.you wanted to solve difficult Bible questions. and the first question I asked, you kept quoting verses that totally have nothing to do with this. from Isaiah to Daniel to Micah to Malachi. let people who have done a proper research answer this. the verses are demanding for scriptural references and you are talking about thinking out of box. was it out of box you got your guidance from. was it not the bible?
Re: Difficult Bible Questions by Nobody: 8:26am On Oct 05, 2014
The sacrifice and resurrection of the Messiah are throughout the Old Testament. Psalm 22, written by King David a millennium before Christ, gives us the very perspective of the Lord hanging on the cross. It describes how the people mocked Christ (Psalm 22:7-8; Mat 27:41-43), how they cast lots to divide up his clothes (Psalm 22:18;Mat 27:35), how his bones were out of joint (Psalm 22:14), how the wicked had surrounded him and pierced his hands and feet (Psalm 22:16) – the scars of which Thomas later got to touch and feel (John 20:27). Psalm 22 ends by saying God's righteousness would be declared to "a people that shall be born" (Psalm 22:31).
The Sign of Jonah:
The Bible is also full of types and foreshadowings. Jesus Christ is throughout the Old Testament in a variety of details. For instance, before his death and resurrection, Jesus offered simply the "sign of Jonah" as a foreshadowing of how long he would be dead.
Re: Difficult Bible Questions by Nobody: 8:31am On Oct 05, 2014
udatso:

can you Please be quiet and let people that have knowledge reply to this.you wanted to solve difficult Bible questions. and the first question I asked, you kept quoting verses that totally have nothing to do with this. from Isaiah to Daniel to Micah to Malachi. let people who have done a proper research answer this. the verses are demanding for scriptural references and you are talking about thinking out of box. was it out of box you got your guidance from. was it not the bible?
ARE YOU A SCIENCE STUDENT, WELL I GUESS NOT. U ARE BIBLICALLY BLIND THATS WHY U CANT SEEM TO UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE READING. smiley TAKE YOUR TIME TO READ AND THINK BEFORE ARGUING.
Re: Difficult Bible Questions by udatso: 8:38am On Oct 05, 2014
Smallville10:
ARE YOU A SCIENCE STUDENT, WELL I GUESS NOT. U ARE BIBLICALLY BLIND THATS WHY U CANT SEEM TO UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE READING. smiley TAKE YOUR TIME TO READ AND THINK BEFORE ARGUING.

I said keep quiet science student. you are in the wrong class, this is a theology class. I won't ask again
Re: Difficult Bible Questions by Nobody: 8:43am On Oct 05, 2014
udatso:

I said keep quiet science student. you are in the wrong class, this is a theology class. I won't ask again
ITS OBVIOUS.
Re: Difficult Bible Questions by Nobody: 8:43am On Oct 05, 2014
udatso:

ITS SO PATHETIC
Re: Difficult Bible Questions by Akindarchi(m): 9:03am On Oct 05, 2014
A question, since many christians claim that all the versions of the bible are authentic even with the changes and revisions, would christians accept the bible that has been edited to allow gay marriages in some parts of the world?
Re: Difficult Bible Questions by Nobody: 9:09am On Oct 05, 2014
Akindarchi:
A question, since many christians claim that all the versions of the bible are authentic even with the changes and revisions, would christians accept the bible that has been edited to allow gay marriages in some parts of the world?
NEVER WOULD CHRISTIANS ACCEPT THAT. AND WHO EVER EDITS THE BIBLE SHALL BE CURSED BY GOD. REV 22V18-19
Re: Difficult Bible Questions by AgentOfAllah: 9:47am On Oct 05, 2014
Smallville10:

By "think out of the box", do you mean to contrive details that aren't in the bible?

Anyway, my question is quite simple: I wish to know how Noah was able to fit 7 pairs of all clean animals, one pair of all unclean animals, 7 pairs of all bird species and enough food for 40 days inside an ark roughly half the area of a football stadium. Further, how was such a small family able to feed all these animals continuously, and how were they able to deal with the colossal amount of waste that must have resulted therefrom. Bear in mind that there are over 40,000 vertebrae species and a few million invertebrates.

Thanks.
Re: Difficult Bible Questions by Nobody: 10:07am On Oct 05, 2014
AGENT OF ALLAH.The Bible specifies Noah’s Ark as 300 cubits long, 50 cubits wide and 30 cubits high, a huge, stable, seaworthy vessel.
Many skeptics assert that the Bible must be wrong, because they claim that the Ark could not possibly have carried all the different types of animals. This has persuaded some Christians to deny the Genesis Flood, or believe that it was only a local flood involving comparatively few local animals. But they usually have not actually performed the calculations. On the other hand, the classic creationist bookThe Genesis Floodcontained a detailed analysis as far back as 1961. 1A more detailed and updated technical study of this and many other questions is John Woodmorappe’s bookNoah’s Ark: a Feasibility Study. This article is based on material in these books plus some independent calculations. There are two questions to ask:
*.How many types of animals did Noah need to take?
*.Was the ark large enough to hold all the required animals?
Re: Difficult Bible Questions by rattlesnake(m): 10:10am On Oct 05, 2014
Smallville10:
POST YOUR DIFFICULT BIBLE QUESTIONS YOU DONT UNDERSTAND AND I WILL GIVE YOU ANSWERS
who do u think u are I HAVE ONE QUESTION FOR U...ARE I BORN AGAIN?
Re: Difficult Bible Questions by Nobody: 10:12am On Oct 05, 2014
In the original Hebrew, the word for ‘beast’ and ‘cattle’ in these passages is the same:behemah, and it refers to land vertebrate animals in general. The word for ‘creeping things’ isremes, which has a number of different meanings in Scripture, but here it probably refers to reptiles. 2Noah did not need to take sea creatures 3because they would not necessarily be threatened with extinction by a flood. However, turbulent water would cause massive carnage, as seen in the fossil record, and many oceanic species probably did become extinct because of the Flood.
However, if God in His wisdom had decided not to preserve some ocean creatures, this was none of Noah’s business. Noah did not need to take plants either—many could have survived as seeds, and others could have survived on floating mats of vegetation. Many insects and other invertebrates were small enough to have survived on these mats as well. The Flood wiped out all land animals which breathedthrough nostrilsexcept those on the Ark
Re: Difficult Bible Questions by Nobody: 10:16am On Oct 05, 2014
Insects do not breathe through nostrils but through tiny tubes in their exterior skeleton.
Clean animals:Bible commentators are evenly divided about whether the Hebrew means ‘seven’ or ‘seven pairs’ of each type of clean animal. Woodmorappe takes the latter just to concede as much to the biblioskeptics as possible. But the vast majority of animals are not clean, and were represented by only two specimens each. The term ‘clean animal’ was not defined until the Mosaic Law. But since Moses was also the compiler of Genesis, if we follow the principle that ‘Scripture interprets Scripture’, the Mosaic Law definitions can be applied to the Noahic situation. There are actually very few ‘clean’ land animals listed in Leviticus 11and Deuteronomy 14.
What is a ‘kind’?God created a number of different types of animals with much capacity for variation within limits

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Day Of The Week Was A Woman Created By God / Did Biblical Kings David And Solomon Actually Exist / For Believers: Bible Studies For Spiritual Growth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.