Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,704 members, 7,831,208 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:31 PM

14 Practical And Easy Ways To Get Anyone To Like You - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 14 Practical And Easy Ways To Get Anyone To Like You (1348 Views)

30 Practical And Romantic Ways To Keep A Relationship / How Can I Get White Girl To Like Me? / How To Tell If A Guy Likes You: Does He Like You? Why Are Guys So Hard To Read? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

14 Practical And Easy Ways To Get Anyone To Like You by damcqute(m): 11:00pm On Oct 12, 2014
One thing I have discovered in life is that having the right skills to interact with others thereby getting people to like you is ALWAYS an advantage. It becomes easier for others to trust you or give you a chance to prove yourself, either at work, in school or in your personal business. Except you are exceptionally good in your field, the chances that people will say nice things about you, or refer clients or even patients to you if they don't like you is quite slim. So I came across these tips on the muse and thought to share with you.

The basics of getting people to like you are obvious—be nice, be considerate, be a decent human being. Those things are all true.

However, there are also many smaller, more discreet things you can do that can have a huge effect on how others perceive you.

Most of these tips are little techniques you can implement every day. They may seem insignificant or even silly, but give them a try and you might find yourself becoming exponentially more popular.

1. Use a Person’s Name
Let’s face it—we’re all huge narcissists and we all love the sound of our own name. Learn names and make use of them. Always use an individual’s name in a conversation.

2. Smile—With Feeling!
Although we live in a digital age that increasingly substitutes technology for human interaction, we are still at our cores very social creatures. As humans, we use social interaction as a tool for feedback, and we make a lot of conscious and subconscious choices based on how others engage with and respond to us.

When someone offers a huge grin brimming with authenticity, happiness rubs off on its receivers. There have been many studies showing how mood, whether positive or negative, spreads between individuals. If your positive attitude brightens someone else’s day, that person will love you for it.

3. Listen (Not Just With Your Ears)
It’s probably a no-brainer that people will like you more if you listen to them. This starts with ignoring your Twitter feed while out to dinner with friends, but goes a lot further than that. You can show you’re listening to someone through body language (positioning your body to face someone and mirroring his or her stance), eye contact (giving plenty of it), and verbal confirmation (we’ll talk more about this next).

4. Use Verbal Confirmation
Most psychology books refer to this technique as “active listening.” Active listening revolves around demonstrating your listening skills by repeating segments of what an individual has said to you. For example:

Mark: I went to this awesome beer tasting event over the weekend—I got to try a ton of great local beers from all over the state.

You: You got to try a lot of different beer, huh?

Mark: Yes, it was really fun. My favorite was the Pretty Things Magnifico.

You: The Magnifico was your favorite?

Mark: Yeah, it tasted great.

While in text form this looks like a strange conversation, in speech this kind of dialogue can actually go a long way to make people like you more. It makes the other individual feel as though you really are paying attention. Plus, people love to hear their own words echoed back at them as it pats their egos a bit.

5. Conversation Recall: Prove You’re Paying Attention

To really show someone you’ve been paying attention, try bringing up a topic that the person mentioned earlier. Did your co-worker talk about working with his son on a science fair project last week? Follow up and ask how it went. Did your friend say she was going to paint her kitchen a new color over the weekend? Ask how she likes the new color on Monday. They don’t have to be big, life-changing events. In fact, sometimes it says more that you can recall and show interest in even the small happenings in another person’s life.

6. Sincere Compliments and Plentiful Praise
This is very different from empty flattery, which most people are adept at detecting. No one likes a brown-nose, and most people don’t particularly love being pandered to. What people really want is sincere appreciation—to be recognized and appreciated for their efforts.

In addition to giving people sincere appreciation, it’s also important to be generous with your praise. People love being praised, and is it any surprise? It feels great to be told you’ve performed a job well. When an individual does something right, say so. It won’t be forgotten.

7. Handle Criticism With Tact
In the same vein, while you want to be generous with your praise, be stingy with your criticism. People have delicate egos, and even a slight word of condemnation can wound someone’s pride. Of course correction will be necessary at times, but it should always have a purpose and be handled with care. If someone makes an error, don’t call that person out in front of a group. Be discreet, be delicate. Consider offering up a compliment sandwich—a deliciously effective strategy that involves dishing out praise before and after a criticism. For example:

That newsletter template you sent over looks great, good work. So it looks like there were a few numerical errors in that recent report you sent over—just be sure to double check those numbers. I also wanted to tell you to keep up the great stuff you’ve been posting in Facebook—I’ve been seeing a big boost in engagement.

Your goal should really be to get the other person to recognize the mistakes without you pointing them out. Even in the example above, you could simply say, “I saw a few numerical errors in that recent report you sent over,” and wait for a response. If the individual responds apologetically and promises to try harder, you don’t need to drive home the subject. Tell them not to worry, that you’re sure they’ll get the hang of it, and move on. The less finger-pointing, the better.

Another strategy for diplomatically dispensing corrections is to begin by discussing your own mistakes before digging into someone else’s errors. Ultimately, aim to be always gentle with criticism and only offer it when it’s truly needed.

- See more at: http://qbizlinx.com/entries/personal-development/14-ways-to-get-anyone-to-like-you-with-practical-examples
Re: 14 Practical And Easy Ways To Get Anyone To Like You by djeezy(m): 11:02pm On Oct 12, 2014
Just be yourself. If you like apply all those tips above, not everyone will like you and that's a fact.

2 Likes

Re: 14 Practical And Easy Ways To Get Anyone To Like You by free2ryhme: 11:04pm On Oct 12, 2014
damcqute:
One thing I have discovered in life is that having the right skills to interact with others thereby getting people to like you is ALWAYS an advantage. It becomes easier for others to trust you or give you a chance to prove yourself, either at work, in school or in your personal business. Except you are exceptionally good in your field, the chances that people will say nice things about you, or refer clients or even patients to you if they don't like you is quite slim. So I came across these tips on the muse and thought to share with you.

The basics of getting people to like you are obvious—be nice, be considerate, be a decent human being. Those things are all true.

However, there are also many smaller, more discreet things you can do that can have a huge effect on how others perceive you.

Most of these tips are little techniques you can implement every day. They may seem insignificant or even silly, but give them a try and you might find yourself becoming exponentially more popular.

1. Use a Person’s Name
Let’s face it—we’re all huge narcissists and we all love the sound of our own name. Learn names and make use of them. Always use an individual’s name in a conversation.

2. Smile—With Feeling!
Although we live in a digital age that increasingly substitutes technology for human interaction, we are still at our cores very social creatures. As humans, we use social interaction as a tool for feedback, and we make a lot of conscious and subconscious choices based on how others engage with and respond to us.

When someone offers a huge grin brimming with authenticity, happiness rubs off on its receivers. There have been many studies showing how mood, whether positive or negative, spreads between individuals. If your positive attitude brightens someone else’s day, that person will love you for it.

3. Listen (Not Just With Your Ears)
It’s probably a no-brainer that people will like you more if you listen to them. This starts with ignoring your Twitter feed while out to dinner with friends, but goes a lot further than that. You can show you’re listening to someone through body language (positioning your body to face someone and mirroring his or her stance), eye contact (giving plenty of it), and verbal confirmation (we’ll talk more about this next).

4. Use Verbal Confirmation
Most psychology books refer to this technique as “active listening.” Active listening revolves around demonstrating your listening skills by repeating segments of what an individual has said to you. For example:

Mark: I went to this awesome beer tasting event over the weekend—I got to try a ton of great local beers from all over the state.

You: You got to try a lot of different beer, huh?

Mark: Yes, it was really fun. My favorite was the Pretty Things Magnifico.

You: The Magnifico was your favorite?

Mark: Yeah, it tasted great.

While in text form this looks like a strange conversation, in speech this kind of dialogue can actually go a long way to make people like you more. It makes the other individual feel as though you really are paying attention. Plus, people love to hear their own words echoed back at them as it pats their egos a bit.

5. Conversation Recall: Prove You’re Paying Attention

To really show someone you’ve been paying attention, try bringing up a topic that the person mentioned earlier. Did your co-worker talk about working with his son on a science fair project last week? Follow up and ask how it went. Did your friend say she was going to paint her kitchen a new color over the weekend? Ask how she likes the new color on Monday. They don’t have to be big, life-changing events. In fact, sometimes it says more that you can recall and show interest in even the small happenings in another person’s life.

6. Sincere Compliments and Plentiful Praise
This is very different from empty flattery, which most people are adept at detecting. No one likes a brown-nose, and most people don’t particularly love being pandered to. What people really want is sincere appreciation—to be recognized and appreciated for their efforts.

In addition to giving people sincere appreciation, it’s also important to be generous with your praise. People love being praised, and is it any surprise? It feels great to be told you’ve performed a job well. When an individual does something right, say so. It won’t be forgotten.

7. Handle Criticism With Tact
In the same vein, while you want to be generous with your praise, be stingy with your criticism. People have delicate egos, and even a slight word of condemnation can wound someone’s pride. Of course correction will be necessary at times, but it should always have a purpose and be handled with care. If someone makes an error, don’t call that person out in front of a group. Be discreet, be delicate. Consider offering up a compliment sandwich—a deliciously effective strategy that involves dishing out praise before and after a criticism. For example:

That newsletter template you sent over looks great, good work. So it looks like there were a few numerical errors in that recent report you sent over—just be sure to double check those numbers. I also wanted to tell you to keep up the great stuff you’ve been posting in Facebook—I’ve been seeing a big boost in engagement.

Your goal should really be to get the other person to recognize the mistakes without you pointing them out. Even in the example above, you could simply say, “I saw a few numerical errors in that recent report you sent over,” and wait for a response. If the individual responds apologetically and promises to try harder, you don’t need to drive home the subject. Tell them not to worry, that you’re sure they’ll get the hang of it, and move on. The less finger-pointing, the better.

Another strategy for diplomatically dispensing corrections is to begin by discussing your own mistakes before digging into someone else’s errors. Ultimately, aim to be always gentle with criticism and only offer it when it’s truly needed.

- See more at: http://qbizlinx.com/entries/personal-development/14-ways-to-get-anyone-to-like-you-with-practical-examples

Is this a career section to you?

Jeez, some NLders can be annoying
Re: 14 Practical And Easy Ways To Get Anyone To Like You by damcqute(m): 11:33pm On Oct 12, 2014
free2ryhme:

Is this a career section to you?

Jeez, some NLders can be annoying

it covers both career and personal relationships. so it falls in any of the sections
Re: 14 Practical And Easy Ways To Get Anyone To Like You by Freemanfrancis(m): 11:45pm On Oct 12, 2014
Its just 2 be yourself n b responsible
Re: 14 Practical And Easy Ways To Get Anyone To Like You by iceberylin(m): 12:01am On Oct 13, 2014
undecidedtoo long and it seems useless embarassed embarassed
Re: 14 Practical And Easy Ways To Get Anyone To Like You by Sarimah(f): 12:11am On Oct 13, 2014
Person wey no like u no like u..

4 Likes

Re: 14 Practical And Easy Ways To Get Anyone To Like You by Nobody: 12:20am On Oct 13, 2014
Sarimah:

You can make someone like you.
Even when clearly, they don't. smiley
Re: 14 Practical And Easy Ways To Get Anyone To Like You by cegxie(m): 12:35am On Oct 13, 2014
Sarimah:

I agree with you on that
Re: 14 Practical And Easy Ways To Get Anyone To Like You by mesoade(m): 2:13am On Oct 13, 2014
Crap! undecided
Re: 14 Practical And Easy Ways To Get Anyone To Like You by mesoade(m): 2:14am On Oct 13, 2014
djeezy:
Just be yourself. If you like apply all those tips above, not everyone will like you and that's a fact.
guy dis ur 4m of stealing pass anini own o.

You actually stole this words from my mouth.

Ooops! I meant hand
Re: 14 Practical And Easy Ways To Get Anyone To Like You by Sarimah(f): 7:36am On Oct 13, 2014
cegxie:

I agree with you on that
cool
Re: 14 Practical And Easy Ways To Get Anyone To Like You by Sarimah(f): 7:37am On Oct 13, 2014
Aprime:

u think so? undecided
Re: 14 Practical And Easy Ways To Get Anyone To Like You by xynerise: 7:41am On Oct 13, 2014
Aprime:

Another way to kill someone without stress is to pretend you like him/her
Re: 14 Practical And Easy Ways To Get Anyone To Like You by tayoxx(m): 8:27am On Oct 13, 2014
story for the gods
Re: 14 Practical And Easy Ways To Get Anyone To Like You by philantoxx(m): 10:08am On Oct 13, 2014
all dis 4 attention. end time tinz
Re: 14 Practical And Easy Ways To Get Anyone To Like You by damcqute(m): 8:09pm On Oct 13, 2014
philantoxx:
all dis 4 attention. end time tinz

lol.. seems you are really concerned about the world. your signature says a lot.
These tips could come in handy at times. you never know.
Re: 14 Practical And Easy Ways To Get Anyone To Like You by philantoxx(m): 8:13pm On Oct 13, 2014
damcqute:

lol.. seems you are really concerned about the world. your signature says a lot.
These tips could come in handy at times. you never know.
hahaha..I hope it does.
Re: 14 Practical And Easy Ways To Get Anyone To Like You by Sijioke(m): 9:45pm On Oct 13, 2014
The one who who wrote this post is annoying sef. Takless of his preachings.
Re: 14 Practical And Easy Ways To Get Anyone To Like You by salvatore007(m): 9:48pm On Oct 13, 2014
Use jazz on d person nd c d magic...

(1) (Reply)

BIZARRE!!! 22-year-old Man Marries 72-year-old American Woman / Nigerian Females, Can You Do Serious Relationship With An Unemotional Guy? / What State In Nigeria Produce The Unfaithful Wife/lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.