Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,002 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:13 AM

Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. (23139 Views)

His Newly Wedded Wife Won't Cook For Him / Finally Got A Job After So Long, But My In-Laws Won't Let Me Have It! / Buying And Selling Of Human Beings- Is This Supposed To Be Normal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by tmosco(m): 3:55pm On Oct 14, 2014
If it took close to 400 years for slavery to stop and still racism still occurs in dis time well I wish all d feminist goodluck. Equality will be achieved in d nx 600 years.

1 Like

Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by golddeejay(m): 3:58pm On Oct 14, 2014
tintingz:
Abi ooo...

Gender inequality is everywhere.

Feminists of today are just wasting their time. smiley
yes broda...nd d so called feminists are jst making a nuisance of d womenfolks...few real women r out der makin their statements loud n clear without saying a word...just wit their achievements.

2 Likes

Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by Nobody: 4:00pm On Oct 14, 2014
TV01:

Aren't you such the SJW?
If you are not personally activist for - and condemning - every single injustice in the world, should I find fault with you?

The problem is that the Bible even justifies and supports slavery instead of condemning it.

Is it because of "how people use it", or "your reading of it"?

Both. And because of some of its contents (e.g. slavery)

You are not the only one who likes to use the disparaging term "medieval". Even if we place their era as medieval, does that make their intelluct, thinking, morality or spirituality in anyway inferior to those of contemporary times?

Obviously.

But Christ did not declare himself a man did He. You either judge His claim to be God incarnate true - and Him along with it - or false and His works as well.

He was a man, will you deny it?

Get well soon - the German economic machine needs all hands on deck grin. It's not Naija or even the UK, where such malingering is celebrated.

Thank you.
But what does it have to do with malingering? undecided
Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by Nobody: 4:06pm On Oct 14, 2014
TV01:

Sophy, Sophy, Sophy, how far? As ever you are all over the place cheesy!

Firstly - the fact that men and women are equal in worth before God, does not preclude different roles and responsibilities and leadership/headship by men - especially in the Family and Church (which is esentially a para-family).

Secondly - The bible has no notion of Gender, so it's prety pointless you co-opting God inot your gender-politics. You also do good job of conflating equality, roles, responsibilities, power and domination to little or no effect

Thirdly - When you get married (big amen I'm hearing grin), will you be after a husband that is "gender correct"? Or "demand equality" in every respect from him?

1 Corinthians 11:3 - But I would have you know , that the head of every man isChrist; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

Ephesians 5:22 - ves, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

Colossians 3:18 - Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.

Does a father have authority over his unmarried daughter?
Does showing someone honour mean "equalising" in every regard?
And if indeed a husband is the head of his wife, haven't you discredited everything you said in the first half of your post cheesy?

TV

My presence everywhere seems to frustrate you. I like that. grin grin

Yes, men and women have their different roles they play. no doubt about that.

The bible is never partial when it comes to laws governing christians. Thats all i know. God has never been partial. His laws covers every human, male and female.

I expect my husband to understand how a woman should be treated according to God's word and not according to human traditions. God's word and that of human traditions are not the same just as God's wisdom remains unmatchable to that of human wisdom. I am sure you have read in my comment where i specifically pointed out that husbands are heads.

Showing Honor to your wife shows you love her as you love your own body. It shows you understand what doing unto others what you would like them to do unto you means. The same bible says whoever loves his wiife loves himself.

As regards 1 corinthians 11 vs 3, that portion still correlates with other portions talking about Husbands being heads of their wives just as christ is head of the congragation. But the difference in this portion when reading further from verse 4 down, is that there is an emphasis on women covering their hair when praying or prophesying in order to show respect for the Headship of the man. Therefore, apostle paul was trying to explain why women need to cover their hair in the presence of a male, when praying or prophesying. The act of covering her hair is a sign of authority on her head because of the angels. inspite of all of that, we are still told as christians to submit to one another. So i can add that the headship role is exercised in a famiily and in a church but not anywhere else.

Of course, a father has authority over his daughter. Is he not the Head of the family? Perhaps because i didnt mention a man being the head of his family, you jumped into conclusions. cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by TV01(m): 4:31pm On Oct 14, 2014
carefreewannabe:

The problem is that the Bible even justifies and supports slavery instead of condemning it.
The bible does no such thing.

What the Bible does is show us the fallen state of the human nature - from which all such ills as slavery etc. emanate - and details how it should be and how to get there.

From your limited view and proccupation with what you "believe" the bible should say, instead of understanding what God via the biblical narrative has set out to do, is where you go wrong.

So do you condemn and are you going to personally right every injustice in the world?

carefreewannabe:

Both. And because of some of its contents (e.g. slavery)
Where doe sthe bible prescribe slavery?

carefreewannabe:
He was a man, will you deny it?
I never said he wasn't. I specifically used the word "incarnate".
He is God, will you deny that?

carefreewannabe:
Thank you.
But what does it have to do with malingering? undecided
Summon strength, if you can make it to NL, you can remote access your desktop grin!

TV
Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by Nobody: 4:43pm On Oct 14, 2014
TV01:

The bible does no such thing.

What the Bible does is show us the fallen state of the human nature - from which all such ills as slavery etc. emanate - and details how it should be and how to get there.

From your limited view and proccupation with what you "believe" the bible should say, instead of understanding what God via the biblical narrative has set out to do, is where you go wrong.

Yeah and your reading of the Bible is the right one.
Please, let me not quote more dubious and shocking passages.
I don't want to hear more excuses.

If all the men who wrote the Bible had been sane and human, they would have written that no man / woman should make another human a slave.
It is that simple. No need to complicate things to justify something that is obviously wrong and evil.

So do you condemn and are you going to personally right every injustice in the world?

I do condemn what I perceive as injustice. I don't understand the second part of your question.

Where doe sthe bible prescribe slavery?

It justifies slavery by telling people / slaves to submit to their masters.
This is inhuman.

I never said he wasn't. I specifically used the word "incarnate".
He is God, will you deny that?

For me, he is God's son.
We are all God's children.

Summon strength, if you can make it to NL, you can remote access your desktop grin!

TV

Since when do you know what I do for a living? undecided
Never mind TV, my bosses trust me. wink
Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by TV01(m): 4:45pm On Oct 14, 2014
Sophyrocks:
My presence everywhere seems to frustrate you. I like that. grin grin
Au contrairé - I feel the angst crying out loud and feel more sympathy than frustration cheesy!

Sophyrocks:
Yes, men and women have their different roles they play. no doubt about that.
So why go to great lengths to say that in an inconclusive manner?

Sophyrocks:
The bible is never partial when it comes to laws governing christians. Thats all i know. God has never been partial. His laws covers every human, male and female.
No one has said anything to the contrary. So why write a lengthy episdtle with caps lock about laws and conflate it with notions of gender, power, equality etc.?

Sophyrocks:
I expect my husband to understand how a woman should be treated according to God's word and not according to human traditions. God's word and that of human traditions are not the same just as God's wisdom remains unmatchable to that of human wisdom. I am sure you have read in my comment where i specifically pointed out that husbands are heads.
How does that make God aginst "gender discrimination". Indeed, if God was for "equality" in the sense of "non-partiality" as you define it, wouldn't men and women treat each other exactly the same way? So why do you have expectations of your husband?

Sophyrocks:
Showing Honor to your wife shows you love her as you love your own body. It shows you understand what doing unto others what you would like them to do unto you means. The same bible says whoever loves his wiife loves himself.
As above, why are you making distinctions?

Sophyrocks:
As regards 1 corinthians 11 vs 3, that portion still correlates with other portions talking about Husbands being heads of their wives just as christ is head of the congragation. But the difference in this portion when reading further from verse 4 down, is that there is an emphasis on women covering their hair when praying or prophesying in order to show respect for the Headship of the man. Therefore, apostle paul was trying to explain why women need to cover their hair in the presence of a male, when praying or prophesying. The act of covering her hair is a sign of authority on her head because of the angels. inspite of all of that, we are still told as christians to submit to one another. So i can add that the headship role is exercised in a famiily and in a church but not anywhere else.
The windier you get the less sense you make grin. I particulalrly noted family and church regards headship in my original response to you.
From your write up is male headship not essentially gender discrimination? I pointed out that the two halves of your post were contradictory?

Sophyrocks:
Of course, a father has authority over his daughter. Is he not the Head of the family? Perhaps because i didnt mention a man being the head of his family, you jumped into conclusions. cheesy cheesy
One cannot actually draw conclusions from your babble - please forgive me for even trying grin - you were quite absolutist in your statement about the headships of husbands over wives only.

Actually, you have a point - it's not your presence, rather it's your prose that is particualrly frustrating. It just sounds like you are on one long and bitter rant. Chill woman.

TV

1 Like

Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by TV01(m): 4:53pm On Oct 14, 2014
carefreewannabe:
Yeah and your reading of the Bible is the right one.
Eeerrr...and yours is grin?

carefreewannabe:
Please, let me not quote more dubious and shocking passages.
Please, carry go

carefreewannabe:
I don't want to hear more excuses.
I have given none, and have none to give. What you want to hear is your own truth and prejudice.

carefreewannabe:
If all the men who wrote the Bible had been sane and human, they would have written that no man / woman should make another human a slave.
Slavery was extant prior to the bible, the coming of Christ and Christianity.

carefreewannabe:
It is that simple. No need to complicate things to justify something that is obviously wrong and evil.
I thought your notions were all relative? Why is something "obviously" wrong or evil to one who relativises everything?

carefreewannabe:
I do condemn what I perceive as injustice. I don't understand the second part of your question.
As above, it's what you percieve. And as one who percieves relatively, who are you to say?

carefreewannabe:
It justifies slavery by telling people / slaves to submit to their masters.
This is inhuman.
What would your advice to slaves be?

carefreewannabe:

For me, he is God's son.
We are all God's children.
So Christ is a liar, delusional or madman?

carefreewannabe:

Since when do you know what I do for a living? undecided
Never mind TV, my bosses trust me. wink
Ah, I thought you did some high-end cerebral job? Are you a hairdresser? grin

TV

1 Like

Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by Nobody: 5:03pm On Oct 14, 2014
TV01:

Au contrairé - I feel the angst crying out loud and feel more sympathy than frustration cheesy!

So why go to great lengths to say that in an inconclusive manner?

No one has said anything to the contrary. So why write a lengthy episdtle with caps lock about laws and conflate it with notions of gender, power, equality etc.?

How does that make God aginst "gender discrimination". Indeed, if God was for "equality" in the sense of "non-partiality" as you define it, wouldn't men and women treat each other exactly the same way? So why do you have expectations of your husband?

As above, why are you making distinctions?

The windier you get the less sense you make grin. I particulalrly noted family and church regards headship in my original response to you.
From your write up is male headship not essentially gender discrimination? I pointed out that the two halves of your post were contradictory?

One cannot actually draw conclusions from your babble - please forgive me for even trying grin - you were quite absolutist in your statement about the headships of husbands over wives only.

Actually, you have a point - it's not your presence, rather it's your prose that is particualrly frustrating. It just sounds like you are on one long and bitter rant. Chill woman.

TV

Sincerely, are you a christian? You dnt talk like one. Are you trying to say God almighty is in support of gender discrimination simply because he made husbands heads? When God himself tells you to honor your wife and love herrr her as you love your own body, what is he trying to tell you? you dnt like the fact that the bible says you should honor your wife?

Before you got married, you had expectations of your wife. Everyone has expectations and as long as they are realistic, why bother? what is wrong with following biblical standards in marriage?

1 Like

Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by Nobody: 5:06pm On Oct 14, 2014
TV01:

Eeerrr...and yours is grin?

The Bible is free to interpretation. Even theologians disagree on how to interpret it so please do read it as you wish and let me read it for myself.

Please, carry go

Let's leave it for now.

I have given none, and have none to give. What you want to hear is your own truth and prejudice.

I could say the same about you. undecided

Slavery was extant prior to the bible, the coming of Christ and Christianity.

This is not a reason to NOT condemn it and call a spade a spade.

I thought your notions were all relative? Why is something "obviously" wrong or evil to one who relativises everything?

I never relativize crimes against humanity.

As above, it's what you percieve. And as one who percieves relatively, who are you to say?

You though wrong. This is your black and white thinking, not mine TV.
And if I had a choice as to what you accuse me of, I would much rater be accused of relativism than of fundamentalism. wink

What would your advice to slaves be?

To NEVER submit to any "master" but to strive for freedom.
If all people reasoned like you, you and your family would still be at the mercy of some white people.

Your wife would push out mixed babies made by your white master and you would be separated from your son as soon as he would be old enough to be sold off. I would love to see your support of this Bible passage in this scenario.

So Christ is a liar, delusional or madman?

Maybe. I have never met him, you know.
Maybe just the medieval men who wrote the Bible made things up.
Who knows?
Something is terribly wrong with this book, whatever the cause is.

Ah, I thought you did some high-end cerebral job? Are you a hairdresser? grin
TV

And people like you call themselves Christian. undecided
Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by TV01(m): 5:08pm On Oct 14, 2014
Sophyrocks:

Sincerely, are you a christian? You dnt talk like one. Are you trying to say God almighty is in support of gender discrimination simply because he made husbands heads? When God himself tells you to honor your wife and love herrr her as you love your own body, what is he trying to tell you? you dnt like the fact that the bible says you should honor your wife?

Before you got married, you had expectations of your wife. Everyone has expectations and as long as they are realistic, why bother? what is wrong with following biblical standards in marriage?
Your confusion is partly the reason for your angst. What has God or HCristianity to do with gender?

I am a Christian and married cool

Try and be among grin.

TV
Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by Nobody: 5:19pm On Oct 14, 2014
TV01:

Your confusion is partly the reason for your angst. What has God or HCristianity to do with gender?

I am a Christian and married cool

Try and be among grin.

TV

What has God to do with gender?
Chimoooooooooooooo!!!!

Biko Mr television, end of discussion.

2 Likes

Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by TV01(m): 7:07pm On Oct 14, 2014
carefreewannabe:
The Bible is free to interpretation. Even theologians disagree on how to interpret it so please do read it as you wish and let me read it for myself.
It doesn't take a theologian to read and understand the bible. Not unless you really want to butcher it cheesy!

carefreewannabe:
This is not a reason to NOT condemn it and call a spade a spade.
Like I said, you are limited by your capacity - Christianity deals with the root of all human issues - the fallen human nature

carefreewannabe:
I never relativize crimes against humanity.
CFW the SJW - more pious than any Christian grin!

carefreewannabe:
You though wrong. This is your black and white thinking, not mine TV.
And if I had a choice as to what you accuse me of, I would much rater be accused of relativism than of fundamentalism. wink
Please tag me as a fundamentalist - all day, everyday. Faith that is relative is merely an euphemism for lifestyle - but deep down you know that don't you? wink!

carefreewannabe:
To NEVER submit to any "master" but to strive for freedom.
How visionary, how deep and how totally humanitarian...ah! And how would telling non-Christians to stop slavery make them do so? Does my railing against SSM make any difference to those who don't believe?

Philemon 1:15 For perhaps he departed for a while for this purpose, that you might receive him forever, 16 no longer as a slave but more than a slave--a beloved brother, especially to me but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord.

In Christ there is no bondman or free - all are Christs.

Colossians 3:11 where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all and in all.

1 Corinthians 7:21 Were you called while a slave? Do not be concerned about it; but if you can be made free, rather use it.

Tell us CFW, what would happen to a Roman slave - or even centurion - who on becoming a Christian tried to escape? Have you really read the bible, or are you listening to what the theologians say grin?

carefreewannabe:
If all people reasoned like you, you and your family would still be at the mercy of some white people.
Like it wasn't Christians who strove top abolish slavery? grin grin You are too funny! Besides I'm sure CFW the SJW would have set us free!!!!

carefreewannabe:
Your wife would push out mixed babies made by your white master and you would be separated from your son as soon as he would be old enough to be sold off. I would love to see your support of this Bible passage in this scenario.
Please detail them to us - I see no such prescription for Christians, indeed, I've posted contrary ones above.

carefreewannabe:
Maybe. I have never met him, you know.
Maybe just the medieval men who wrote the Bible made things up.
Who knows?
You can meet Him, many have - He Lives

carefreewannabe:

Something is terribly wrong with this book, whatever the cause is.
Could it be you CFW - in a relative sense of course cheesy!

TV

carefreewannabe:
And people like you call themselves Christian. undecided
Unsettled wink? Why the saltiness? Is it wrong to be a hairdresser? Or to joke about someone being one?

1 Like

Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by TV01(m): 7:10pm On Oct 14, 2014
Sophyrocks:

What has God to do with gender?
Chimoooooooooooooo!!!!

Biko Mr television, end of discussion.
That's it, scurry away - or please tell us God's take on "gender discrimination". Please try not to be overly long or befuddled grin!

TV
Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by Nobody: 8:04pm On Oct 14, 2014
TV01:

It doesn't take a theologian to read and understand the bible. Not unless you really want to butcher it cheesy!

Like I said, you are limited by your capacity - Christianity deals with the root of all human issues - the fallen human nature

Please tag me as a fundamentalist - all day, everyday. Faith that is relative is merely an euphemism for lifestyle - but deep down you know that don't you? wink!

How visionary, how deep and how totally humanitarian...ah! And how would telling non-Christians to stop slavery make them do so? Does my railing against SSM make any difference to those who don't believe?

Philemon 1:15 For perhaps he departed for a while for this purpose, that you might receive him forever, 16 no longer as a slave but more than a slave--a beloved brother, especially to me but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord.

Colossians 3:11 where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all and in all.

1 Corinthians 7:21 Were you called while a slave? Do not be concerned about it; but if you can be made free, rather use it.

Tell us CFW, what would happen to a Roman slave - or even centurion - who on becoming a Christian tried to escape? Have you really read the bible, or are you listening to what the theologians say grin?

Like it wasn't Christians who strove top abolish slavery? grin grin You are too funny! Besides I'm sure CFW the SJW would have set us free!!!!

Please detail them to us - I see no such prescription for Christians, indeed, I've posted contrary ones above.

You can meet Him, many have - He is Lives

TV

Unsettled wink? Why the saltiness? Is it wrong to be a hairdresser? Or to joke about someone being one?

[img]http://2.bp..com/-qiqj0vdHylU/U0WrdIx34II/AAAAAAAAAQE/ShvKVGxHp7I/s1600/gandhi_quote.png[/img]

1 Like

Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by Fkforyou(m): 8:20pm On Oct 14, 2014
Feminist thread again,anyway am indifferent to this feminist ish........but I think this feminist should stop beign judgemental esp.towards the menfolk cos no any right think man would want treat his daughter unfairly......If this feminist are serious about their course, then they should go door by door and teach or educate us on how to raise our kids.

1 Like

Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by swaggzo(m): 8:48pm On Oct 14, 2014
Fkforyou:
Feminist thread again,anyway am indifferent to this feminist ish........but I think this feminist should stop beign judgemental esp.towards the menfolk cos no any right think man would want treat his daughter unfairly......If this feminist are serious about their course, then they should go door by door and teach or educate us on how to raise our kids.

excuse me....
How old are you to start with?

2 Likes

Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by Fkforyou(m): 9:13pm On Oct 14, 2014
swaggzo:

excuse me....
How old are you to start with?
. I think am older than your father.
Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by TV01(m): 10:25pm On Oct 14, 2014
carefreewannabe:

[img]http://2.bp..com/-qiqj0vdHylU/U0WrdIx34II/AAAAAAAAAQE/ShvKVGxHp7I/s1600/gandhi_quote.png[/img]
Oga TeeFee, pliss sir, take fotopic, I haff no answers grin!

TV

1 Like

Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by Stillfire: 10:43pm On Oct 14, 2014
swaggzo:
See them.. Fighting for the justice of the girl child. Yelling all
sort of crap on TV about gender inequality and other trash
talks that i can't take anymore.

I wasn't there when you bore your daughters.
I wasn't the one who made them do all the kitchen work while your sons were busy laying around the house like sick dogs.
I wasn't the one who constantly reminded them that someday they gonna be a secondary subject to their husbands.
I wasn't the one who always made them feel that they don't
need to study hard. Infact they don't even need to study at all cuz no matter how much they read a man's gonna come pick them up someday, and all that will be a waste of time, money, and knowledge.
When they clocked 30 years of age, I wasn't there to tell them ugly stuff like "As old as you are, you're not yet married",
"what are you waiting for?, do you want to marry your own
father?".
Even when they got married and there was no child in the
house after sometime, you started to feel she was barren.
Forgetting the fact that the man also has a role to play in that aspect.
She took her marital issues online, hoping to find some help
there since she felt its rather disgraceful to discuss with
anyone physically, your only comment on her post was shiit
like "you're a disgrace to womanhood". Making her shy away from sexuality, hiding her sexual life from the whole world
including herself cuz she feels its not right for a woman to even have sex in the first place, not to talk of talking or even thinking about it.
You made the life of your daughters so poor, that all they had
to think about is marriage and submission to a secondary god (their husbands) from as early as age 16 or 17. That they cannot stand alone cuz they're too weak and always need men to represent them. Protect them. Talk for them and even decide for them.
Implying that the male gender is superior and supreme. And
suddenly now you want all these things to change? By what
means, magic?

So you see, from the start of their lives this is what you have
been teaching them. Making them from a very early stage,
realize they ought to be a man's tool. Telling them that they have nothing much to offer in the future apart from being a
man's life companion and bedmate, to bear and carry his
children and to take care of the family.

......now that's feminism!

Start the Gender equality from there where you're standing, cuz every little thing you impact on these little souls (children) in our society counts.

I rest this case for now.

Bravo!

2 Likes

Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by Shirley07: 2:45pm On Oct 15, 2014
TV01:

You can meet Him, many have - He Lives

TV

I do feel unsettled around preachers like you because you don't actually study the bible in the context it's used and majority of you are the reason there's a lot of confusion in the christedom.
The first and the last sentence underlined actually mean to be made free from sin/no more a slave to sin.
The second means there's no discrimination before God almighty irrespective of what you are.
As you can see, it doesn't correlate with whatever you're trying to say here.
Paul indeed championed slaves and master relationship and he made it known in Ephe 6:5-8 that slaves should submit to their masters in fear and trembling. Infact, he compared husband and wife relationship to slave and master.
I once told you that if your wife has any role she plays in the church or society, then she's a sinner according to Paul. Not to forget that Paul believes a woman's salvation is only by child bearing, implying that Eve was the deceiver and the sinner, not Adam.
The funny thing is Paul rejected the law as a means of salvation but had no qualms binding women to such law because his ego overruled him. In the end, Paul didn't only contradict himself but also, Christ.

1 Like

Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by TV01(m): 3:22pm On Oct 15, 2014
Shirley07:
I do feel unsettled around preachers like you because you don't actually study the bible in the context it's used and majority of you are the reason there's a lot of confusion in the christedom.
Yawn, I'm a male, at least I have the biblical writ to be a preacher - you don't grin!
And I'm not a preacher, my faith and beliefs are personal, feel free to ignore them. There's no confusion in the Church of Christ, although yours is palpable cheesy!

Shirley07:
The first and the last sentence underlined actually mean to be made free from sin/no more a slave to sin. The second means there's no discrimination before God almighty irrespective of what you are.
Yes, that is one of the over-arching themes of the Gospel, and as it is clearly outlined in the gospel, those verses can be used as metaphors for that. But to claim that's what they are saying in context - you know you are hell-bent on reading the scriptures to satisfy your own desires.

Shirley07:
As you can see, it doesn't correlate with whatever you're trying to say here.
I laught. CareFreeWannabe claims that the bible/Christianity does not condemn slavery to her satisfaction - thereby condoning or championing it. I replied that Christianity does not only not prescribe slavery, it frees us from the very condition that leads to slavery and all other societal ills. Must you comment by force or for mere commenting' sake? cheesy

Shirley07:
Paul indeed championed slaves and master relationship and he made it known in Ephe 6:5-8 that slaves should submit to their masters in fear and trembling. Infact, he compared husband and wife relationship to slave and master.
Feminianity writ large. Paul championed slavery? If you want to hate on Paul, please feel free to do so. Because he clearly stated the headship roles of men huh? E pain you so tay, you feel the need to assasinate his character. Pele. We not only agree with Paul, Pauls agrees witht he gospel as a whole.

Paul was committed to spreading the gospel. He wasn't primarily a SJW. The gospel is what sets men free - and in turn rids men of their evil desires. You might as well charge him for not campaigning against FGM, or prostitution or war - all extant before, during and after the advent of Christianity and till today.

Shirley07:
I once told you that if your wife has any role she plays in the church or society, then she's a sinner according to Paul. Not to forget that Paul believes a woman's salvation is only by child bearing, implying that Eve was the deceiver and the sinner, not Adam.
Oh such angst, from an avowed feminist wanting to be a Christian. Please choose one. It looks odd and you are neither fish not fowl.

I told you before and I already outlined in my earlier post on this thread that the husband/wife, male/female roles prescribed in the bible are for the home and church - not wider society. Paul is not here to defend himself - not that he needs too or to be - but do you think you can twist my words and go unchallenged?

Did Paul say this? Genesis 3:16 - Unto the woman he said , I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forthchildren; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

Shirley07:
The funny thing is Paul rejected the law as a means of salvation but had no qualms binding women to such law because his ego overruled him. In the end, Paul didn't only contradict himself but also, Christ.
So because Paul rightly rejected the written law for salvational purposes, roles and responsibilities - not to mention civil laws - are now to be done away with.

Shirley07, you really need to find a righteous man to take you under authority grin.

TV

2 Likes

Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by Shirley07: 5:00pm On Oct 15, 2014
TV01:

Yawn, I'm a male, at least I have the biblical writ to be a preacher - you don't .
And I'm not a preacher, my faith and beliefs are personal, feel free to ignore them. There's no confusion in the Church of Christ, although yours is palpable cheesy!

Yes, that is one of the over-arching themes of the Gospel, and as it is clearly outlined in the gospel, those verses can be used as metaphors for that. But to claim that's what they are saying in context - you know you are hell-bent on reading the scriptures to satisfy your own desires.

I laught. CareFreeWannabe claims that the bible/Christianity does not condemn slavery to her satisfaction - thereby condoning or championing it. I replied that Christianity does not only not prescribe slavery, it frees us from the very condition that leads to slavery and all other societal ills. Must you comment by force or for mere commenting' sake? cheesy

Feminianity writ large. Paul championed slavery? If you want to hate on Paul, please feel free to do so. Because he clearly stated the headship roles of men huh? E pain you so tay, you feel the need to assasinate his character. Pele. We not only agree with Paul, Pauls agrees witht he gospel as a whole.

Paul was committed to spreading the gospel. He wasn't primarily a SJW. The gospel is what sets men free - and in turn rids men of their evil desires. You might as well charge him for not campaigning against FGM, or prostitution or war - all extant before, during and after the advent of Christianity and till today.

Oh such angst, from an avowed feminist wanting to be a Christian. Please choose one. It looks odd and you are neither fish not fowl.

I told you before and I already outlined in my earlier post on this thread that the husband/wife, male/female roles prescribed in the bible are for the home and church - not wider society. Paul is not here to defend himself - not that he needs too or to be - but do you think you can twist my words and go unchallenged?

Did Paul say this? Genesis 3:16 - Unto the woman he said , I will greatlymultiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forthchildren; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

So because Paul rightly rejected the written law for salvational purposes, roles and responsibilities - not to mention civil laws - are now to be done away with.

Shirley07, you really need to find a righteous man to take you under authority grin.

TV

You obviously forgot that Christ's death redeemed and saved us all from every curse and bondage.
The fact that Deborah was called to be a judge and preacher already contradicted Paul's doctrine which implies that all men are liars and God is the truth.
Also, anyone with eyes would know that the scripture you quoted is about freedom from sin. The real truth is Paul championed slavery but you're obviously blind to see it.
Now, let look at Paul's reason for subjecting women to men.
First, he said man was first made before woman, forgetting that God didn't make such assertion in the beginning. It was after man sinned that God put Eve under Adam. Why did God have to make such curse if Eve was already put under the man?
Secondly, Paul said Eve was the deceiver and the sinner, not Adam. However, the bible made us know that both Adam and Eve were sinner and it's a known fact that Adam had his own share of the curse because he was disobedient and allowed himself to be deceived.
For this purpose, Christ came to deliver us from this curse and sin. So, if Christ has delivered all, why are women still under sin?
The truth is, Paul believed women are still bounded to sin and only child bearing can perhaps saved them, when Christ made it known that Salvation is meant for all. And if you're truly a Paul's disciple, you shouldn't find it difficult to tell your wife that she's not yet saved and perhaps, her childbearing will save her.
I'll always say that Christ's teaching touched everything applicable in this world. He talked about salvation, leaders in the church and society, marriage, commandments e.t.c. There was nothing he didn't talk about and he affirmed it on the cross by saying 'it's finished'. After his ressurrection, his last commandment was 'go ye and preach the gospel'. So, Paul had no right to be making any commadment/law.
You know what? You're neither for Christ nor Paul because if you're for Paul, your wife should be made silent and should have no role in the church or society and if you're for Christ, you won't be championing women slavery.
Lastly, Christ said two shall become one, no head nor tail. If you still don't understand what Christ meant by this, let me tell you, both husband and wife are one body and should treat each other like themselves.
Nevertheless, every christians is required to submit to one another like little Children, not with the fear and trembling which Paul was commanding women to.

1 Like

Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by pickabeau1: 5:04pm On Oct 15, 2014
Shirley07

Can u use scriptures to buttress these points

Secondly, Paul said Eve was the deceiver and the sinner, not Adam. However, the bible made us know that both Adam and Eve were sinner and it's also known fact that Adam had his own share of the curse because he was disobedient and allowed himself to be deceived.

also where did Paul champion slavery

The truth is Paul championed slavery and you're obviously blind not to see it.
Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by Shirley07: 5:55pm On Oct 15, 2014
pickabeau1:
Shirley07

Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by Shirley07: 5:55pm On Oct 15, 2014
pickabeau1:
Shirley07

On slaves, Ephes 6:5 says ''Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ....''. Verse 9 says, 'And ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening, knowing that your master also is in heaven, neither is there respect of persons with him'.
Tim 2:11-14 says ''Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach nor to usurp authority over the man but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived but the woman being deceived became a sinner. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith, love and holiness with sobriety''.
Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by pickabeau1: 6:00pm On Oct 15, 2014
Shirley07:

On slaves, Ephes 6:5 says ''Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ....''. Verse 9 says, 'And ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening, knowing that your master also is in heaven, neither is there respect of persons with him'.
Tim 2:11-14 says ''Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach nor to usurp authority over the man but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived but the woman being deceived became a sinner. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith, love and holiness with sobriety''.

ok.. thanks

So how does the first verse champion slavery

He is advocating social equity, the fact you are a master today, treat those under u with fairness as u have a master above also
Very common theme in Jesus' parables

second verse.. the woman was first deceived
Do u have any theory to the contrary
Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by Nobody: 6:01pm On Oct 15, 2014
tmosco:
If it took close to 400 years for slavery to stop and still racism still occurs in dis time well I wish all d feminist goodluck. Equality will be achieved in d nx 600 years.

I guess, you are not aware of how quickly women emancipated themselves in the West when they decided to.

2 Likes

Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by Shirley07: 6:12pm On Oct 15, 2014
pickabeau1:

ok.. thanks

So how does the first verse champion slavery

He is advocating social equity, the fact you are a master today, treat those under u with fairness as u have a master above also
Very common theme in Jesus' parables

second verse.. the woman was first deceived
Do u have any theory to the contrary

Paul never said such. He said Adam was not deceived but only the woman was and she became a sinner.
You also forgot that we're God's children, not a slave and master relationship Paul was implying. I don't have a master in heaven, I have a father.
Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by pickabeau1: 6:18pm On Oct 15, 2014
Shirley07:

Paul never said such. He said Adam was not deceived but only the woman was and she became a sinner.
You also forgot that we're God's children, not a slave and master relationship Paul was implying. I don't have a master in heaven, I have a father.

ok.. we have different understanding then.. no problem

Yes in the same kingdom there is order.
He appeared to 12 and from there 70
The 12 became the apostles and fed the sheep

On your point on master-servant, there is hierachy whether it sounds palatable to you or not

Even in jesus's parables he spoke of the Good Lord who sent people to the vine

As an employee, your employer is your master
As a follower of Christ, Christ is your master ... or do u not agree
Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by tmosco(m): 6:39pm On Oct 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I guess, you are not aware of how quickly women emancipated themselves in the West when they decided to.

Dat why I said good luck,in d nx 50 yrs just come and quote me on d progress of feminism.
Re: Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. by Nobody: 6:46pm On Oct 15, 2014
tmosco:

Dat why I said good luck,in d nx 50 yrs just come and quote me on d progress of feminism.

It already is in full progress.
The never ending debates on NL are one of the many signs that it is.
As long as people are talking about it, something is happening.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Happy Birthday To Me And My Twin Brother / Couples Not Staying Together / Anambra State Government Releases Statement On Alleged Child Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.