Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,197 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:06 AM

Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams (38599 Views)

Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ / See Covenant University Mobile Phone Outlaw Undertaking / Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by GboyegaD(m): 9:01pm On Oct 15, 2014
GRAND30:

Weren't these rules spelt out to them at the point of entry? Why go to a place when you know you can't keep their laws? My opinion is simple: obey the rules or keep off! So many schools here and abroad offer as good or even better education than they do with very relaxed and secular laws. You've got money. You've got brain. You've got choice. Use it and stop whining!

All the rules were spelt out at the point of entry even that of piercing? What a school to attend.
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by eleko1: 9:04pm On Oct 15, 2014
I sure agreed with U on that''EVIL DEAN'',such men abound here/there. Being a private Uni,peeps there should follow the school rules/regulations to the letter.That aside,they should thank their star that they didn't jammed a proper SADIST(that one will make them see hell b4 they graduate)I believe they'll sort it out.Thank U for Ur kind reply
Ladystewie:
@ eleko1
punishment for double piercings and owning sim enabled tabs is not suspension, rather letter of warning
it's just the doings of an evil dean
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Nobody: 9:15pm On Oct 15, 2014
CoolHunk:

They knew the rules before signing up. If you think Covenant is wicked, try my alma mater: When you err, you'll be summoned by a panel and dismissed to continue as usual until when you start your final exams...that's when you'll be expelled, for something you've prolly forgotten you did.

Which school is dat biko?
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Nobody: 9:24pm On Oct 15, 2014
Crispels:

What's the name of that ur Alma mata
drlawizle:

Which school is dat biko?
Unilorin. Not implying that they're wicked though. 'Cos they're not.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Nobody: 9:29pm On Oct 15, 2014
CoolHunk:

Lol...sound like yur still scared of them...how will dey expel you when you've even 4 gotten yur sins..
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Nobody: 9:30pm On Oct 15, 2014
CoolHunk:

Lol...sound like yur still scared of them...how will dey expel you when you've even 4 gotten yur sins....it is well oh!
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Sunshinelady(f): 9:34pm On Oct 15, 2014
aigjoey:
You are a big fool for questioning the school's action. the rules were clearly stated . no phone. no piecing of any kind.... and now they have been suspended u are crying woves. mind u the school can suspend a defaulter anytime.. I am a product of a public school were two days to exams students are suspended if found guilty... go busy urself pls and making storm out of a tea cup. I hate u
. Lmfao @d 'I hate u'. U r kiddin right?
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Nobody: 9:39pm On Oct 15, 2014
drlawizle:

Lol...sound like yur still scared of them...how will dey expel you when you've even 4 gotten yur sins....it is well oh!
LMAO! I was never scared though, as I've always being a very well-behaved fella. I had, and still have no worries.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Nobody: 10:30pm On Oct 15, 2014
He sure knows everything, as you are aware of it here, so he is!
Ladystewie:
This is what happens when you put a small boy as the dean of student affairs... I really doubt that David Oyedepo knows about this wickedness going on in the school.
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Nobody: 10:38pm On Oct 15, 2014
CoolHunk:

LMAO! I was never scared though, as I've always being a very well-behaved fella. I had, and still have no worries.

Your being a "well-behaved fella" was prolly borne outta you being scared to your teeth.. grin
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Nobody: 10:41pm On Oct 15, 2014
I'm definitely not high
When you accord punishment that is greater than the gravity of offence committed,
It becomes injustice
lilmax:
The op is high.rules are not to be broken why stress yourself?

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Nobody: 10:59pm On Oct 15, 2014
Ladystewie:
News reaching me is that the formidable CU has suspended various students for many trivial reasons such as double piercings in their ear, phone possession, having sim enabled ipads and other silly reasons. The students are to be suspended for four weeks, just three weeks to examinations, and are to go home today.

IMO, this is wickedness of the highest order. How would you suspend students just a few weeks to exams? The normal practise of the school is to suspend erring students at the start of a new semester but, these students are going home towards exam period. And when people bash the school, they complain.

I also her the school takes great joy in expelling and suspending students for foolish reasons. And how the school makes final year students come back(spill over) for one whole year just because of a 3 unit course.. Really stupid angry
Your opinions??
Op,have you ran a school before? No?!
Okay.
Even we that went to those federal unis faced/saw these and more happen.
Take on your chin,it's the training.
I saw guys get invited to panels(sadist profs btw) for smoking, fighting and miscellaneous sins.
People got rusticated for fighting in finals.
And that was a fed. Uni.You never jam.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Nobody: 11:01pm On Oct 15, 2014
drlawizle:

Your being a "well-behaved fella" was prolly borne outta you being scared to your teeth.. grin
Lol...naah. I think I'm intelligent enough to bail myself out of almost any situation. So fear was never a factor. grin

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Nobody: 11:20pm On Oct 15, 2014
ALL THESE IN A FEDERAL UNIVERSITY/
hard to believe
pascyj:
Op,have you ran a school before? No?!
Okay.
Even we that went to those federal unis faced/saw these and more happen.
Take on your chin,it's the training.
I saw guys get invited to panels(sadist profs btw) for smoking, fighting and miscellaneous sins.
People got rusticated for fighting in finals.
And that was a fed. Uni.You never jam.
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Nobody: 11:24pm On Oct 15, 2014
you are very right
but in the student handbook, the punishment for having several piercings and sim enabled tabs
is not suspension- but letter of warning
Godsate:
@ OP, to you all the offence you mentioned are trivial. But to the school authority, they are not. Every school have it's own rules and regulations. If the students were not ready to abide by those rules and regulation, they shouldn't have chosen covenant university as we have several universities in the country.

Remember that those student promised and sign the doted lines to abide by the school rules and regulations before matric.
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Nobody: 11:27pm On Oct 15, 2014
yes, i used the word 'wicked'
because the gravity of their offense did not deserve the harsh punishments meted out on them
GRAND30:
OP, you sound so bitter over simple enforcement of school bylaws. Covenant University was founded by a church. Now do you expect the school to run on secular rules? The reasons for suspension that you are making us see as trivial actually mean a lot to a Christian educational institution. It isn't a secular school. Is it? There is no need flogging a dead horse or trying to make news out of nothing. Let the school deal with their wards according to their internal laws. If you want to pierce 1000 holes in your ears, simply stay away from that school! And if you cannot obey the "wicked" (OP's own word) bylaws of any institution, seek education elsewhere!
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Nobody: 11:33pm On Oct 15, 2014
read my reply to woodcrest on the first page
and just so you know, my facts are always authentic
And in CU, the first semester is really short. tx
Pwitikween:

Thank u ooo...for some time I was actually wondering if i read the right thing.@o.p get your facts straight...first semester is usually longer and lasts for about four months at least!!!!
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Ignyte(m): 11:47pm On Oct 15, 2014
How this one voncern tge assignment wey i get to submit in 3 months time. ... mtchew
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Nobody: 11:52pm On Oct 15, 2014
Ladystewie:
News reaching me is that the formidable CU has suspended various students for many trivial reasons such as double piercings in their ear, phone possession, having sim enabled ipads and other silly reasons. The students are to be suspended for four weeks, just three weeks to examinations, and are to go home today.

IMO, this is wickedness of the highest order. How would you suspend students just a few weeks to exams? The normal practise of the school is to suspend erring students at the start of a new semester but, these students are going home towards exam period. And when people bash the school, they complain.

I also her the school takes great joy in expelling and suspending students for foolish reasons. And how the school makes final year students come back(spill over) for one whole year just because of a 3 unit course.. Really stupid angry
Your opinions??
You've been warned about these gadgets. So why use them. If you don't want to be treated like a goat, then don't act like one undecided
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by GRAND30(m): 12:14am On Oct 16, 2014
Ladystewie:
yes, i used the word 'wicked'
because the gravity of their offense did not deserve the harsh punishments meted out on them

You really think they don't deserve their tea? Maybe I should remind you that what is lawful practice in A's place could be taboo in B's abode. Didn't they know what the norms were before they got themselves in there? You seem immutable about this. I wouldn't go further trying to sway your thoughts about the incident. Shalom!
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by InvertedHammer: 4:00am On Oct 16, 2014
Ladystewie:
@ eleko1
punishment for double piercings and owning sim enabled tabs is not suspension, rather letter of warning
it's just the doings of an evil dean

/
A school may choose to make "picking nose" illegal and they must communicate with prospective students their rules
and regulations. Outrageous? Yes. But if you sign the dotted line, you must obey it. If you must fight the school,
it should be before accepting the terms and not after.

I don't know the full details. It all depends on if the students understand that they should not have done those things
in the first place.

\
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by alphaking(m): 5:56am On Oct 16, 2014
mrryon:

I am a student here and even if I dont support a three week suspension for double piercing, we all signed an undertaking with respect to these rules and breaking these rules is equal to a breach of contract which is legally punishable. These rules are basic rules any responsible person wouldnt have a hard time obeying. As for the spillover issue, i think we are second best in Nigeria for a reason, and one of those reasons are the high standards here which are rarely compromised. Anything below 45 is an F and if anyone feels he is not comfortable with it, he should go to a Federal university where he can buy grades or pass with a 36. Like I always say, we are soaring, take a seat and watch if you dont want to come out of your comfort zones and soar with us
whining tins CU second kai soaring ko sinking ni.what is your definition of responsible.Its a disgrace when you find undergraduate give opinionated and shallow views on matters like this. You are the problem of this country undecided
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by kingchuba: 6:51am On Oct 16, 2014
Why should I even send my ward to a private university in nigeria when there are very capable federal universities in d country. All those rules dosent make them better ppl cos they do worse things in there rooms and subsequently when they are not in school. Why not give an adult some space for he or she to make certain mistakes and learn from them.
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by escobardtotti: 9:28am On Oct 16, 2014
In every school there are rules and regulations. .The affect students I believed signed to abide by the rules n regulations of the school. ..They should see that coming. Thank you
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by jbubba(m): 2:13pm On Oct 16, 2014
mrryon:

I am a student here and even if I dont support a three week suspension for double piercing, we all signed an undertaking with respect to these rules and breaking these rules is equal to a breach of contract which is legally punishable. These rules are basic rules any responsible person wouldnt have a hard time obeying. As for the spillover issue, i think we are second best in Nigeria for a reason, and one of those reasons are the high standards here which are rarely compromised. Anything below 45 is an F and if anyone feels he is not comfortable with it, he should go to a Federal university where he can buy grades or pass with a 36. Like I always say, we are soaring, take a seat and watch if you dont want to come out of your comfort zones and soar with us
the same reasons why CU is no 1 is why the persons were suspended,facts don't lie, CU is no 2 in the country and getting better. Thank you for giving us an insight from someone in the school, at OAU then people were suspended for cult activities,exam malpractice and told to come back 2-3 years after. Which one do you prefer all of you complaining?
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Nobody: 3:57pm On Oct 16, 2014
isick:

pls dis is not wickedness but disobedient on the part of the student
you're right. once you break the rules, you pay for It and that brings about discipline
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Nobody: 4:10pm On Oct 16, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Agreed, the reasons are silly....but that is why it is important that before entering any school...you read the rules and regulations.

And if you think you cannot live under them...then you might consider going to a school with a more liberal regime.

For example, Babcock forbids soft drinks on campus. If I were a student applying there, I may consider giving up soft drinks or going to another school .

And at the bolded....a lot of universities do that!
Do you say soft drinks or u mean alcoholic drinks I don't get
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Nobody: 4:25pm On Oct 16, 2014
morefire:

your totally on point..... you knew the rules before you signed up.. obey the same rules..

but wait did you just say "if anyone feels he is not comfortable with it, he should go to a Federal university where he can buy grades or pass with a 36"?

can you please name one uni (federal or state) where this happened?
he's absolutely 85% correct. nearly All the public schools accept one form of bribe or another. non be news na
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Nobody: 4:31pm On Oct 16, 2014
lockupman:
Pple have refused to be wise. I can guarantee that all the money you spend in Covenant University would be more than enough to study in Germany, South Korea and even US. Impatience and lack of expanded reasoning affecting Nigerian parents since 1900
it's not true. the cheapest university abroad is Ukraine .all the expense including transportation and visa is about N600,000 (including tuition and accommodation ) per session. if you school in Uk, you will pay more.
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by morefire: 4:36pm On Oct 16, 2014
asuustrike1:

he's absolutely 85% correct. nearly All the public schools accept one form of bribe or another. non be news na

question has still not bn answered... name a school...

plus whats the whole idea of the summer they do in Private schools?

i have met a lot of incredible guys from private uni for that singular fact I will rest my case but please dont come and make unnecessary comparisons.

Remember Lead city, Igbenedion, Ajayi Crowther, Bells, America University, Madonna are all also private schools or do you need me to tell you the amount of bribery that goes on there...
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Nobody: 4:41pm On Oct 16, 2014
anitank:
Double piercing I can understand, but sim enabled ipads

What do they do with their ipads then, play games during break time
Loool. guy you funny oh

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

University Of Abuja Admission List: / Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt / White SA School Kids Brawl In Viral Video, Boy Suspended (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.