Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,432 members, 7,815,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

Childhood Obesity: Who Is To Blame? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Childhood Obesity: Who Is To Blame? (1250 Views)

The Law, The Husband, The Wife Or The Man, Who Is To Blame For This? (snapshots) / Men Sleeping With Their House Maids...who's To Blame? / Who Is To Blame? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Childhood Obesity: Who Is To Blame? by smartmom(f): 7:11pm On Oct 15, 2014
I would like to implore parents in the house to look at the issue of wrong feeding for our kids and its effect in the now and future. Someone started this discussion and it shook me. I will repost here and hope our attention is caught with this crucial issue
[b]
I was in a primary school to enquire about their facilities last month and while waiting for the school administrator, I watched with dawning horror as one, two, three really obese kids toddled in and out of the reception area. Dawning, I say because we have talked and complained about the emergence of adolescent diabetes in developed countries like the US with pity and a smug sense of satisfaction that this trend cannot occur in our society but alas, we are at the very brink of this health hazard.

If you look around and take a census of obese youngsters in our society, starting from toddlers to teenagers both male and female especially in middle class, it will become clear that we are raising a generation that will be fighting the battle of the bulge with all its attending hazard. The time has come for parents to raise an alert to this problem and fight it before it is too late

Do you know that obese kids are most likely going to grow into obese adults and face the likelihood of developing cardiovascular (heart) disease and diabetes? They often also develop a low self esteem and are prone to bullying and stress. A friend’s son has to change his school uniform every session because he outgrows it. His friends call him ‘orobo’ and he is miserable.

Here a few things on what WebMd has to say about childhood obesity:

What Diseases Are Obese Children at Risk For?
Obese children are at risk for a number of conditions, including:
• High cholesterol
• High blood pressure
• Early heart disease
• Diabetes
• Bone problems
• Skin conditions such as heat rash, fungal infections, and acne

How Do I Know if My Child Is Overweight?
The best person to determine whether or not your child is overweight is your child's doctor. In determining whether or not your child is overweight, the doctor will measure your child's weight and height and compute his ''BMI,'' or body mass index, to compare this value to standard values. The doctor will also consider your child's age and growth patterns.

How Can I Help My Overweight Child?
If you have an overweight child, it is very important that you allow him or her to know that you will be supportive. Children's feelings about themselves often are based on their parents' feelings about them, and if you accept your children at any weight, they will be more likely to feel good about themselves. It is also important to talk to your children about their weight, allowing them to share their concerns with you.
It is not recommended that parents set children apart because of their weight. Instead, parents should focus on gradually changing their family's physical activity and eating habits. By involving the entire family, everyone is taught healthful habits and the overweight child does not feel singled out.

http://nigerianparentsforum.com/index.php/kunena/general-discussion/9405-childhood-obesity-a-health-hazard
[/b]
Re: Childhood Obesity: Who Is To Blame? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Oct 15, 2014
Stop your child from eating junk food. Period.

1 Like

Re: Childhood Obesity: Who Is To Blame? by smartmom(f): 7:38pm On Oct 15, 2014
A contributor in the other forum mentioned the part that school administrators have to play in this issue. Schools have little or no space for physical activity thereby making our kids prone to obesity.

Matter of fact most schools dont even have real proper time for kids to unwind and play like we did as kids.
Re: Childhood Obesity: Who Is To Blame? by Dygeasy(m): 8:46pm On Oct 15, 2014
The way some parents bring up their kids vexes me.

Some kids know the names of every Candy there is with their specs and flavours. I just shake my head. Moderation doesn't exist in most people's dictionaries.
Re: Childhood Obesity: Who Is To Blame? by Nobody: 8:51pm On Oct 15, 2014
Thank God my parents were poor according to naija standard.I dont get to eat what i needed.WAS malnourised,skinny and dip eyes beautiful.Was like a beautiful small house rat,atleast i wasn't fat.One peak milk,weather spoilt or not last me for days cos of hoarding....at the end of the day,i purge out all i have eaten for month.Poverty made me look trimmed.
Re: Childhood Obesity: Who Is To Blame? by abohrandy: 6:37am On Oct 16, 2014
lynpetra:
Thank God my parents were poor according to naija standard.I dont get to eat what i needed.WAS malnourised,skinny and dip eyes beautiful.Was like a beautiful small house rat,atleast i wasn't fat.One peak milk,weather spoilt or not last me for days cos of hoarding....at the end of the day,i purge out all i have eaten for month.Poverty made me look trimmed.

Re: Childhood Obesity: Who Is To Blame? by abohrandy: 6:43am On Oct 16, 2014
smartmom:
A contributor in the other forum mentioned the part that school administrators have to play in this issue. Schools have little or no space for physical activity thereby making our kids prone to obesity.

Matter of fact most schools dont even have real proper time for kids to unwind and play like we did as kids.

wait which country are you in? coz i know most school have fridays as sports days.

i look at it as lack of space for the kids to place in those school. when you build a school and all you do is arrange some 5x5 area as a playground with one or two swings in it and a few tires here and there. how do you expect them to place properly?

parents sef have in a hand in this. in our days outdoors playing was the order of the day. u go see person with all kind bruises for knee and elbow. but today na thumbs dey get those bruises as a result of ipads and other tablets.

kids need to spend more time outside in the yard, running and shouting. and not some two timing playground. that just crap.

1 Like

Re: Childhood Obesity: Who Is To Blame? by jansie(f): 7:10am On Oct 16, 2014
I believe kids should be made to feel comfortable in whatever skin they wear, not the society telling them what's right and what's not. many of these kids is not even what they eat. it's might be genetic or baby fat. my cousin when we were little had baby fat which many would have thought obese but to my greatest surprise, she had become `lepa' after secondary school. mind you, it was'nt exercise
Re: Childhood Obesity: Who Is To Blame? by eleojo23: 9:59am On Oct 16, 2014
OK. You may want to read the comments on this thread.
https://www.nairaland.com/1807769/take-pressure-off-kids-why
Re: Childhood Obesity: Who Is To Blame? by smartmom(f): 10:36am On Oct 16, 2014
abohrandy:

wait which country are you in? coz i know most school have fridays as sports days.
i look at it as lack of space for the kids to place in those school. when you build a school and all you do is arrange some 5x5 area as a playground with one or two swings in it and a few tires here and there. how do you expect them to place properly?
parents sef have in a hand in this. in our days outdoors playing was the order of the day. u go see person with all kind bruises for knee and elbow. but today na thumbs dey get those bruises as a result of ipads and other tablets.
kids need to spend more time outside in the yard, running and shouting. and not some two timing playground. that just crap.

In naija. Yes I know there is sports day on Fridays or once a week but like you rightly mentioned, no space for them to actually play. Besides pyhsical activities shouldnt be once a week for young kids.

And yes parents have a hand in this inactivity problem. Let your kids PLAY, exert energy even if it means fixing a basketball ring in a passage in a room. Attention should be shifted from being potato couched watching TV or digital toys.

1 Like

Re: Childhood Obesity: Who Is To Blame? by smartmom(f): 10:41am On Oct 16, 2014
jansie:
I believe kids should be made to feel comfortable in whatever skin they wear, not the society telling them what's right and what's not. many of these kids is not even what they eat. it's might be genetic or baby fat. my cousin when we were little had baby fat which many would have thought obese but to my greatest surprise, she had become `lepa' after secondary school. mind you, it was'nt exercise

Yes some may be genetic but most often people are what they eat. Watch the kind of food obese people eat and their eating habits, its a reflection of what they look like. Yes we should accept them but also help them as suggested in the original post. For their health and what other people who may not be so kind especially in teenage, let parents assist lovingly guide them to a healthier diet.
Re: Childhood Obesity: Who Is To Blame? by smartmom(f): 10:43am On Oct 16, 2014
@lynpetra

Seriously? wink grin lol, stretching it aint you!

1 Like

Re: Childhood Obesity: Who Is To Blame? by smartmom(f): 10:48am On Oct 16, 2014
Dygeasy:
The way some parents bring up their kids vexes me.

Some kids know the names of every Candy there is with their specs and flavours. I just shake my head. Moderation doesn't exist in most people's dictionaries.

For many parents, giving in to the demands of their kids is an attempt to make up for guilt trips of not having enough time for them. If they give them all the candy and junk food, they are showing them love
Re: Childhood Obesity: Who Is To Blame? by smartmom(f): 10:50am On Oct 16, 2014
I am seeing more of the fact that our kids dont exercise enough being a major reason for obesity. That explains why you hardly find obese kids in the villages where they have enough space and time to play. The competition for who has covered more in academic pursuits is also lacking in the village schools. The children are more relaxed to have proper break and play.
Re: Childhood Obesity: Who Is To Blame? by Nobody: 11:16am On Oct 16, 2014
smartmom:
@lynpetra

Seriously? wink grin lol, stretching it aint you!
You never can tell.cheesy.Poverty stories are REAL stories. cheesy
Re: Childhood Obesity: Who Is To Blame? by abohrandy: 1:06pm On Oct 16, 2014
smartmom:

In naija. Yes I know there is sports day on Fridays or once a week but like you rightly mentioned, no space for them to actually play. Besides pyhsical activities shouldnt be once a week for young kids.

And yes parents have a hand in this inactivity problem. Let your kids PLAY, exert energy even if it means fixing a basketball ring in a passage in a room. Attention should be shifted from being potato couched watching TV or digital toys.

yaff tok it all!!

(1) (Reply)

She's A Beautiful Beast / Help A Marriage Is About To Brake Up / Shocking:hospital Test Sa¥s She Is Pregnant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.