Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,315 members, 7,829,751 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:18 AM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (217) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (700096 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:39am On Apr 15, 2016
lexyman:
On paper , we can comfortably top the group ....these guys needs to start working hard and harder . It's the beginning of a new dawn .

I don't think topping the group will be so comfortable. To me this is the group of death, I feel these are teams who will have no issues bringing their stars to add to already strong u-23 teams. We can very well come out of this group even after facing the likes of James, Ibra, Kagawa, Cuadrado....but it won't be easy.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by simi4me(m): 9:48am On Apr 15, 2016
following.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 12:13pm On Apr 15, 2016
adeyemi2015:
RIO 2016 OLYMPIC DRAW

Group A
Brazil
South Africa
Iraq
Denmark

Group B
Sweden
Colombia
Nigeria
Japan

Group C
Fiji
Korea
Mexico
Germany

Group D
Honduras
Algeria
Portugal
Argentina

*https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgAh_DdXEAA3KhD.jpg:large

Group B (Our Group) to me is the most evenly matched group.

Lucky enough we got the easiest of the top seeded Teams (Japan).

My assessment of our chances in that Group:

Let's look at the group from 4 angles:

(1) Nigeria finished 1st in African Qualifiers
Columbia finished 2nd in South America ahead of Uruguay and Brazil who were 3rd and 4th respectively
Sweden finished 1st in Europe (a continent that had Spain, Portugal, Germany, Holland, Belgium in participation)
Japan finished 1st in Asia.

3 continental champions and 1 first Runner-up are in our group. How else can u describe it if nt "group of death".

HOWEVER, experience has shown that performance at the continental stage does nt in MOST cases repeat itself in the world stage. We have seen where teams that finished 3rd and 4th in the continental qualifiers doing far better than teams that finished 1st and 2nd second.

(2) Pedigree: What usually repeat itself more at the world stage is performance due to pedigree.

Now, go back and look at the Teams in our group and assess them based on pedigree at this stage (U20 - U23).

The Teams I fear the most at this stage are Brazil, Argentina and Spain. Other threats: Mexico, Portugal, France, Germany.
None of these guys are in our group. However, Columbia, Japan and Sweden have shown they are no push overs at age grade level.
So based on pedigree, we have a fairly easy group.

(3) How do these countries perform at senior levels? The U23 is a very competitive age grade. Very close to the senior World Cup.
A good number of the U23 players are already senior team players for their various countries. No one needs to tell us where the likes of Columbia, Japan and Sweden belong at senior level. Any day any time they are a tough nut to crack. Senior team performance has a way of rubbing off on the U23 team.

(4) Another way you can look at it is who are likely to make the squads for each team? I know a couple of good individual players from Columbia who are U23. With 3 over-aged playesr we expect to see the likes of James Rodrigues, Quadrado and who knows maybe David Ospina in the team. Some1 mentioned Zlatan Ibrahimovic to make the Swede squad. Then Kagawa and co for Japan. All those inclusions make those teams tougher.

My fears just like every other forumite here is will Siasia select our best U23 players plus 3 well deserving over-aged players?

Imagine Ibrahimovic leading Sweden's attack and Taiwo Awoniyi or Osimhen Leading Nigeria's attack. What will u call that? David Vs Goliath. grin

Right now as it is, looking at all 4 angles highlighted above it still points to d fact that we are in a very difficult group. I cannot stick my neck to say whether we will qualify from that group or not until I see Siasia's camping programme and list of invited players.

My verdict: WE ARE IN A VERY DIFFICULT GROUP.

5 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by bigblangston: 6:52pm On Apr 15, 2016
Icon4s:

Columbia finished 2nd in South America ahead of Uruguay and Brazil who were 3rd and 4th respectively
Sweden finished 1st in Europe (a continent that had Spain, Portugal, Germany, Holland, Belgium in participation)

3 continental champions and 1 first Runner-up are in our group. How else can u describe it if nt "group of death".

HOWEVER, experience has shown that performance at the continental stage does nt in MOST cases repeat itself in the world stage. We have seen where teams that finished 3rd and 4th in the continental qualifiers doing far better than teams that finished 1st and 2nd second.

(2) Pedigree: What usually repeat itself more at the world stage is performance due to pedigree.

Now, go back and look at the Teams in our group and assess them based on pedigree at this stage (U20 - U23).

The Teams I fear the most at this stage are Brazil, Argentina and Spain. Other threats: Mexico, Portugal, France, Germany.
None of these guys are in our group. However, Columbia, Japan and Sweden have shown they are no push overs at age grade level.

(3) How do these countries perform at senior levels? The U23 is a very competitive age grade. Very close to the senior World Cup.
A good number of the U23 players are already senior team players for their various countries. No one needs to tell us where the likes of Columbia, Japan and Sweden belong at senior level. Any day any time they are a tough nut to crack. Senior team performance has a way of rubbing off on the U23 team.

(4) Another way you can look at it is who are likely to make the squads for each team? I know a couple of good individual players from Columbia who are U23. With 3 over-aged playesr we expect to see the likes of James Rodrigues, Quadrado and who knows maybe David Ospina in the team. Some1 mentioned Zlatan Ibrahimovic to make the Swede squad. Then Kagawa and co for Japan. All those inclusions make those teams tougher.

My fears just like every other forumite here is will Siasia select our best U23 players plus 3 well deserving over-aged players?

Imagine Ibrahimovic leading Sweden's attack and Taiwo Awoniyi or Osimhen Leading Nigeria's attack. What will u call that? David Vs Goliath. grin

Right now as it is, looking at all 4 angles highlighted above it still points to d fact that we are in a very difficult group. I cannot stick my neck to say whether we will qualify from that group or not until I see Siasia's camping programme and list of invited players.

What more can I add "LEGEND"... You did not give me room to add to this issue. U actually stole all these from my mind. My eyes are on you,infact I'm following you

3 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 7:30pm On Apr 15, 2016
terzurum5:

This is what I do not understand about our Coaches, what has this tedious produced with the likes of Ajayi and other strikers he took to the AAGS & U23 AFCON? He might have managed to win the U23 Trophy, but remember at the Olympics, its not going to be the same ball game.

This might just be a pointer to the fact that Sir Forgiveness's stance on our Coaches' player selection is not out of place.

Siasia will surely suprise us with his final list. Well, na him go lose pass.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 7:39pm On Apr 15, 2016
Rio 2016: Siasia squad list headache as April 19 deadline looms

Posted By: Adeniyion:

April 15, 2016

Dream Team VI Coach, Samson Siasia has raised concerns over the challenges of getting players in camp for the team with 4 days before the deadline of the submission of the squad list.

Siasia expressed worries that none of the 30 players invited have been given leave by their clubs to join the coaches in camp which is at the moment ‘ virtually camp’ and he and his assistants have been wiping up names they hope to send to the Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC).

In a chat with footballlive.ng, Siasia warned that only early preparations could help the country do well in the Tournament though he admits the Group B pairing was a fair bargain.

Nigeria get their campaign in Rio off on August 4 against Japan at the Amazônia Arena in Manaus. The Dream Team VI will complete their group stage campaign 6 days later with games against Sweden ( 7th August) and Colombia ( 10th August).

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/2/825939115?-21310:8643:t

3 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 7:44pm On Apr 15, 2016
Lyon Join Arsenal In Race For New Nwankwo Kanu, Sadiq Umar

Published: April 15, 2016

Roma sensation Sadiq Umar is attracting huge interest from Europe’s elites,with the transfer window set to open for business in the next two months or so.

The teenager has been linked with a possible move to Arsenal in the summer and there is a new suitor from France interested in snapping him up.

According to celebrated Italian sports daily, la Gazzetta dello Sport, seven-time French champions Olympique Lyonnais have joined the race for the signature of Sadiq Umar, who has been touted as the new Nwankwo Kanu back in his homeland.

If it comes to a bidding war, Lyon do not have the financial muscle to compete with their more illustrious rivals, with Arsenal reportedly prepared to pay up to 20 million euros to secure his signature.

The 19-year-old Umar has suited up six times for the first team of Roma in the Serie A and has netted two goals.

http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18674

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by enomakos(m): 8:25pm On Apr 15, 2016
We are in a very difficult group,it is not gonna be easy
Rio gonna be interesting
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by enomakos(m): 8:28pm On Apr 15, 2016
forgiveness:

Roma sensation Sadiq Umar is attracting huge interest from Europe’s elites,with the transfer window set to open for business in the next two months or so.

The teenager has been linked with a possible move to Arsenal in the summer and there is a new suitor from France interested in snapping him up.

According to celebrated Italian sports daily, la Gazzetta dello Sport, seven-time French champions Olympique Lyonnais have joined the race for the signature of Sadiq Umar, who has been touted as the new Nwankwo Kanu back in his homeland.

If it comes to a bidding war, Lyon do not have the financial muscle to compete with their more illustrious rivals, with Arsenal reportedly prepared to pay up to 20 million euros to secure his signature.

The 19-year-old Umar has suited up six times for the first team of Roma in the Serie A and has netted two goals.

http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18674
roma president hads said the kid is not going anywhere same with nura
look like them will promote them to the 1team next season

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 8:35pm On Apr 15, 2016
enomakos:
roma president hads said the kid is not going anywhere same with nura
look like them will promote them to the 1team next season

If they know that they can't guarantee them first team football next season they shouldn't block them from joining another team that will guarantee them first team football.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 9:37pm On Apr 15, 2016
forgiveness:
Rio 2016: Siasia squad list headache as April 19 deadline looms

Posted By: Adeniyion:

April 15, 2016

Dream Team VI Coach, Samson Siasia has raised concerns over the challenges of getting players in camp for the team with 4 days before the deadline of the submission of the squad list.

Siasia expressed worries that none of the 30 players invited have been given leave by their clubs to join the coaches in camp which is at the moment ‘ virtually camp’ and he and his assistants have been wiping up names they hope to send to the Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC).

In a chat with footballlive.ng, Siasia warned that only early preparations could help the country do well in the Tournament though he admits the Group B pairing was a fair bargain.

Nigeria get their campaign in Rio off on August 4 against Japan at the Amazônia Arena in Manaus. The Dream Team VI will complete their group stage campaign 6 days later with games against Sweden ( 7th August) and Colombia ( 10th August).

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/2/825939115?-21310:8643:t

You are doing a good job here sir. Good updates.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 5:49am On Apr 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Nigeria Premier League 2016 Kano Pillars
Israel-bound Ubong Ekpai wants Rio Olympics action
[/size]

Ubong Ekpai off to Israel but with an eye on Rio Olympics as well

Akwa United forward Ubong Ekpai has said he expects to make the final squad to the Rio Olympics and his proposed move to Israeli club Maccabi Haifa will not derail that ambition.

Ekpai scored the goal which sunk Rio Olympics hosts Brazil in a friendly last month.

“I will work hard to make the final squad to the Olympics in Brazil,” he declared.

However, the former Kano Pillars forward will this week quit the Olympic team training camp in Abuja for him to fly out to Israel, where he is expected to complete a transfer to Maccabi Haifa.

“I will not complete the season with Akwa United because I will soon complete my move to Maccabi Haifa,” he said.

“It has always been my dream to play in Europe.”
africanfootball.com/news/625022/Israel-bound-Ubong-Ekpai-wants-Rio-Olympics-action
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 5:50am On Apr 16, 2016
[size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Japan
Coach Amoo says Nigeria Rio Olympics draw 'very tough'
[/size]

Nigeria U23 striker Junior Ajayi

Nigeria Olympic team assistant coach Fatai Amoo has said the team have been drawn in a “very tough” group for the Rio Olympics.

Nigeria are pitched against Sweden, Colombia and Japan in the first round of the Olympics in August.

Amoo said: “We are in a tough group, we have to be at our best to move to knockout rounds of the competition.

“Japan are coming up strongly in recent years, Sweden will always be well organised, while we expect Colombia to be powerful and skillful coming from South America

“All the teams will be tough and we will respect them.”
africanfootball.com/news/625163/Coach-Amoo-says-Nigeria-Rio-Olympics-draw-very-tough-

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 6:00am On Apr 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria African Football South Africa U23
Rio 2016: Favourable draws for Banyana, SA Under-23's
[/size]

Banyana Banyana and South Africa's under-23 national men's team were handed favourable draws for the upcoming 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.

The official draw for the Olympic Football Tournament was held at the iconic Maracana Stadium on Thursday.

Owen da Gama's troops were drawn in Group A alongside hosts Brazil, Denmark and Iraq with the Seleção vying for their first Olympic gold. The South Americans have yet to win gold in 12 Olympic appearances.

1996 champions Nigeria were drawn in Group B.

Banyana Banyana (54) have been drawn in Group E alongside hosts Brazil (cool, Sweden (6) and China (12) - current FIFA world rankings in brackets.

South Africa will be eyeing revenge over Sweden having lost 4-1 to the Europeans at the 2012 Olympic Games in London.

Full draw:
Men:
Group A - Brazil, South Africa, Iraq, Denmark

Group B - Sweden, Colombia, Nigeria, Japan

Group C - Fiji, South Korea, Mexico, Germany

Group D - Honduras, Algeria, Portugal, Argentina

Women:
Group E - Brazil, China, Sweden, South Africa

Group F - Canada, Australia, Zimbabwe, Germany
Group G - USA, New Zealand, France, Columbia
africanfootball.com/news/625162/Rio-2016-Favourable-draws-for-Banyana-SA-Under-23-s
[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 6:03am On Apr 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria 2015 U23 Africa Cup of Nations Nigeria U23
Nigeria's Rio Olympics schedule, fans to stay up late
[/size]
Nigeria won U23 AFCON in Senegal to qualify for Rio Olympics

Nigeria fans will have to stay up to watch the country’s Olympic team when they begin their quest for Olympic Gold on August 4 Asia champions Japan.

Fans also had to keep late hours when Nigeria won a historic Olympic Gold 20 years ago in Atlanta.

Nigeria's opening Group B match against Japan will be played at the Amazonia Arena in Manaus and kick off is 9pm local time, which will be 1am in Nigeria as it is four hours ahead of the South American country.

Nigeria’s next group game will be at the same match venue on August 7 against European U21 champions Sweden. It will begin at 6pm local time, which will be 10pm in Nigeria.

The country’s final group game will be against Colombia on August 10 at the Corinthians Arena in Sao Paulo.

Kick-off time will be 7pm in Brazil and 11pm in Nigeria.
africanfootball.com/news/625174/Nigeria-s-Rio-Olympics-schedule-fans-to-stay-up-late
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 6:10am On Apr 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF South Africa Algeria U23
Good opening for Nigeria, SA, but Algeria must battle
[/size]

Nigeria U23 star Oghenekaro Etebo (left)

by Samm Audu

Nigeria and South Africa have got good first round groups at the Rio Olympics, but Africa’s other representatives Algeria face a daunting task to go past their own group which has Argentina and Portugal.

The tournament will be played in Brazil between August 4 and 20. Mexico are the defending champions after they stopped Brazil from clinching a first-ever Gold medal in London four years ago.

African champions Nigeria are widely tipped to reach the quarterfinals of the Rio Olympics as they will test their might against fellow continental kings Sweden and Japan as well as Colombia.

Former Nigeria coach Christian Chukwu said with the right preparation, Dream Team VI can strike Gold 20 years after the historic triumph in Atlanta.

“Coach Samson Siasia has been there before (led Nigeria to Gold medal match against Argentina at Beijing 2008) and he is now more matured. We should just not underrate our opponents and with the right preparation, winning Gold is again achievable,” said Chukwu, who is on the NFF technical committee.

Nigeria plan to feature at next month’s Toulon Festival in France, where a good number of the Rio Olympics qualifiers will also be in attendance.

Siasia has also tried to secure the release of some of the country’s exciting young players for the competition like Alex Iwobi of Arsenal and Odion Ighalo from Watford.

South Africa, who finished third in the African qualifiers in Senegal last year, are expected to also reach the knockout stage of the tournament along with hosts Brazil from a group that also has Denmark and Iraq.

‘The Amaglug-glug’, who will parade the exciting Keagan Dolly, will open the tournament against Brazil, who beat them 3-1 in a friendly last month.

The outcome of this opening game will most certainly set the tone for the South Africans’ campaign.

This will be their second appearance in this competition after they qualified for Sydney 2000, where they shocked Brazil 3-1 in a group game.

South Africa coach Owen Da Gama said he is satisfied with the first round draw.

“We could not have asked for a better opening match because the pressure will be on Brazil as hosts,” he said.

“The fact that we have drawn Brazil gives us confidence and a lot of motivation to tackle this competition. Fortunately, we played them last month and even though we lost, we know what they are about but that doesn’t mean they will be there for the taking. We still have to work hard.

“And I am by no means disregarding Iraq and Denmark – these are very good sides and we have to plan carefully for all of them so we can get to the next round.”

Algeria are Africa’s third flag bearers after they were beaten 2-1 in last year’s U23 AFCON final by Nigeria.

They open their campaign on August 4 against Honduras.
This will be their second appearance in the tournament after they featured at the 1980 competition.

They went past the group stage that included Spain and Germany DR, before they lost to Yugoslavia.

Argentina and Portugal will be the favourites to emerge from this group in Rio, but Algeria could well have a few surprises up their sleeves as they showed at the U23 AFCON in Senegal in December.
africanfootball.com/news/625181/Good-opening-for-Nigeria-SA-but-Algeria-must-battle
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 6:13am On Apr 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Colombia
Siasia upbeat but fears Manus heat at Rio Olympics
[/size]

Nigeria Olympic team coach Samson Siasia

Nigeria Olympic team coach Samson Siasia has said he expects to steer his team past a group that has Japan and Sweden at the Rio Olympics but has also raised concerns over the heat in Manus, where his team will play their first two matches.

Siasia said he expects Nigeria to reach the knockout rounds of the Rio Olympics from “a fair enough group”.

He guided Nigeria to the Gold medal match at Beijing 2008 and said he believes a wining start against Japan on August 4 will set the tone for another great campaign.

“I am targeting a convincing win in our opening match. Japan won’t be easy, but we need to beat them well to take command of the group,” he said.

“The win will give us the confidence for the matches against Sweden and Colombia.”
However, he said he is apprehensive about the heat in Manus, where Nigeria will play their first two matches.

“The only difficulty I foresee is the hot weather in manus for our first two games,” he said.
“All the same, that can’t stop us.”
africanfootball.com/news/625226/Siasia-upbeat-but-fears-Manus-heat-at-Rio-Olympics
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 6:29am On Apr 16, 2016
terzurum5:
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria African Football South Africa U23
Rio 2016: Favourable draws for Banyana, SA Under-23's
[/size]

Banyana Banyana and South Africa's under-23 national men's team were handed favourable draws for the upcoming 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.

The official draw for the Olympic Football Tournament was held at the iconic Maracana Stadium on Thursday.

Owen da Gama's troops were drawn in Group A alongside hosts Brazil, Denmark and Iraq with the Seleção vying for their first Olympic gold. The South Americans have yet to win gold in 12 Olympic appearances.

1996 champions Nigeria were drawn in Group B.

South Africa will be eyeing revenge over Sweden having lost 4-1 to the Europeans at the 2012 Olympic Games in London.

Full draw:
Men:
Group A - Brazil, South Africa, Iraq, Denmark

Group B - Sweden, Colombia, Nigeria, Japan

Group C - Fiji, South Korea, Mexico, Germany

Group D - Honduras, Algeria, Portugal, Argentina

Women:
Group E - Brazil, China, Sweden, South Africa

Group F - Canada, Australia, Zimbabwe, Germany
Group G - USA, New Zealand, France, Columbia
africanfootball.com/news/625162/Rio-2016-Favourable-draws-for-Banyana-SA-Under-23-s
[/b]

SA are in no easy grps. The SA i know with their pedigree will definitely lose to Brazil and Denmark.

Their female team is in same grp with China, Sweden and hosts Brazil and they call that favorable grp? These 3 teams are among d top 10 ranked women teams in d world.
SA would b favorably hammered by these three teams. And may likely concede 10-15 goals put together in that group. grin

4 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 6:36am On Apr 16, 2016
terzurum5:
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Colombia
Siasia upbeat but fears Manus heat at Rio Olympics
[/size]

Nigeria Olympic team coach Samson Siasia

Nigeria Olympic team coach Samson Siasia has said he expects to steer his team past a group that has Japan and Sweden at the Rio Olympics but has also raised concerns over the heat in Manus, where his team will play their first two matches.

Siasia said he expects Nigeria to reach the knockout rounds of the Rio Olympics from “a fair enough group”.

He guided Nigeria to the Gold medal match at Beijing 2008 and said he believes a wining start against Japan on August 4 will set the tone for another great campaign.

“I am targeting a convincing win in our opening match. Japan won’t be easy, but we need to beat them well to take command of the group,” he said.

“The win will give us the confidence for the matches against Sweden and Colombia.”
However, he said he is apprehensive about the heat in Manus, where Nigeria will play their first two matches.

“The only difficulty I foresee is the hot weather in manus for our first two games,” he said.
“All the same, that can’t stop us.”
africanfootball.com/news/625226/Siasia-upbeat-but-fears-Manus-heat-at-Rio-Olympics
[/b]

Then camp the team in Kaduna for aclimatization. grin

Excuses have started. If Nigeria should complain of heat then a Scandinavian country like Sweden should complain of fire.

4 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 6:39am On Apr 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
NWANKWO SCORES BRACE TO EXTEND TOP SCORER LEAD IN PORTUGAL
[/size]

Simmy Nwankwo marked his return to the Gil Vicente line up after serving a one match ban by scoring a brace as they thrash UD Oliveirense 4-0.

Nwankwo red carded against Atletico CP a week ago missed Gil Vicente’s midweek game against Sporting CP II following the one match ban that came with his sending off.

On his return he proved he hasn’t lost any of his scoring touch scoring as his brace sandwiched between both halves of the game helped Gil Vicente to a big win which keeps them in 10th spot on the league table.

Personally the brace took the Nigerian tally for the season to 17 from 37 game, a tally that makes him the league joint top scorer with Platiny of Feirense.

Last season he scored nine times in the Portuguese top flight but his goals couldn’t save Gil Vicente from relegation to the second division in Portugal.
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/04/13/nwankwo-scores-brace-to-extend-top-scorer-lead-in-portugal/#more-2624
[/b]

3 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 6:43am On Apr 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
UDOH FIRES VIKING TO CUP WIN IN NORWAY
[/size]

Viking of Norway secured passage to the next round of the Norwegian Cup with their Nigerian import, Aniekpeno Udoh opening the flood gate of goals that saw them thrash Vardeneset 5-1.

Udoh in his first season in Norway opened scoring for Viking in the 40th minute, his first goal for the team since joining the team from Nigeria Federations Cup winners, Akwa United.

However he missed out on grabbing the headlines which was stolen by his teammate Patrick Pedersen who scored a treble in the game.

The game saw three of the four Nigerians on the club books featuring with Udoh and Usman Sale starting while Samuel Adegbenro came on as a substitute in the 64th minute.

Suleiman Abdullahi, the fourth Nigerian at the team was an unused substitute in the game.
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/04/13/udoh-fires-viking-to-cup-win-in-norway/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 6:58am On Apr 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
RED HOT FRIDAY FRED SCORES AGAIN IN NORWAY
[/size]

20 year old Nigeria forward, Friday Fred scored for the third consecutive game in the five games old Norwegian league to help Lillestrom salvage a point against FK Haugesund.

Lillestrom were trailing FK Haugesund 2-1 before Fred scored for the fourth time this season from five games to draw his team level and continue his fine run of form in front of goal.

The scorer of 11 goals last season wasn’t the only Nigerian on the pitch in the game between Lillestrom and FK Haugesund with Innocent Bonke also on his side for the entire duration of the game.

FK Haugesund played three Nigerians in the encounter with William Troost-Ekong and Anthony Izuchukwu starting while Ibrahim Shuaibu came on in the 69th minute.
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/04/15/red-hot-friday-fred-scores-again-in-norway/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by kingsleyAba: 7:43am On Apr 16, 2016
terzurum5:
[b][size=14pt]
RED HOT FRIDAY FRED SCORES AGAIN IN NORWAY
[/size]

20 year old Nigeria forward, Friday Fred scored for the third consecutive game in the five games old Norwegian league to help Lillestrom salvage a point against FK Haugesund.

Lillestrom were trailing FK Haugesund 2-1 before Fred scored for the fourth time this season from five games to draw his team level and continue his fine run of form in front of goal.

The scorer of 11 goals last season wasn’t the only Nigerian on the pitch in the game between Lillestrom and FK Haugesund with Innocent Bonke also on his side for the entire duration of the game.

FK Haugesund played three Nigerians in the encounter with William Troost-Ekong and Anthony Izuchukwu starting while Ibrahim Shuaibu came on in the 69th minute.
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/04/15/red-hot-friday-fred-scores-again-in-norway/
[/b]

fred friday is hot red striker...I Have watch him played, he have a great potential like that of lukaku I wish siasia will call him up n I hope EPL club scouting top striker will snap

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 8:07am On Apr 16, 2016
Wolves Boss Hints Enobakhare Will Get More First Team Action

Wolves Boss Hints Enobakhare Will Get More First Team Action
Wolverhampton Wanderers manager Kenny Jackett has hinted that Nigerian forward Bright Enobakhare will be getting more first team action at the business end of the season.

After only five minutes of game time from a possible 1,170 minutes, the teenager was called into action for the last 32 minutes of the Championship clash with Blackburn Rovers last weekend and the manager was impressed with his contribution.

“The young players and the players in the Academy have to earn that and have to be good enough to earn their place, and I was pleased last week with what Connor Hunte and Bright Enobakhare gave me,” Jackett told wolves.co.uk.

“They deserved their chance, and they’ll be looking for more opportunities.

“When you get quality young players through and that is the key to it, it breeds the type of competition in your squad that then produces success.”

Bright Enobakhare has not featured for Wolves U21s since March 21 when he stepped out onto the pitch against Blackburn.

http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18677

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 8:08am On Apr 16, 2016
terzurum5:

You are doing a good job here sir. Good updates.

wink

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 8:13am On Apr 16, 2016
Raheem Lawal Predicts Tough Olympics For U-23 Eagles

By Izuchukwu Okosi:

Super Eagles and Osmanlispor of Turkey midfielder, Raheem Lawal, has predicted a difficult men's football event of the 2016 Olympics for the participating teams, but believes the Nigerian U-23 Eagles will qualify from the Group B that pits them against Colombia, Sweden and Japan.

The draws for the men and women football tournaments was held on Thursday at the legendary Maracana Stadium and Lawal bared his mind to Completesportsnigeria.com, on the chances of the U-23 Eagles.
"The Olympics in Rio will be very difficult for the teams participating, but I feel Nigeria will surely qualify from the Group B," Lawal told Completesportsnigeria.com.‎
"Colombia play good football, as well as Japan. Sweden played against Nigeria in the U-17 World Cup in 2013. That must be the set of players that have become their present U-23s. We have been doing well at this U-23 level, but we have to take these countries seriously."
Lawal who was part of the Flying Eagles side coached by current U-23 Eagles coach Samson Siasia, that participated at the 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Egypt then revealed his intention to be one of three over-aged Nigerian players at the Olympics.
Read Also: Warri Wolves' Foreign Coach Vows To Improve Results
"The Olympics is a very big event, and of course, I will gladly accept coach (Samson) Siasia's invitation," Lawal, 25, who has scored one goal and made one assist for his Turkish side in 11 league games further told Completesportsnigeria.com.
"I was in the Flying Eagles team at the U-20 World Cup in 2009 and I had a good working experience with him. He communicates a lot with his players and his pep talks will always motivate you (players)‎."

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/2/825940858?-21310:8643:t

grin
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 8:21am On Apr 16, 2016
U23 TEAM MUST WATCH OLSON – HASSAN

FC Midtjylland of Denmark winger, Riliwan Hassan has raised warning bells about the quality of his Swedish teammate, Kristoffer Olsson, who is expected to be in his country’s squad to battle Nigeria at this year’s Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

With Nigeria drawn alongside Sweden, Colombia and Japan in Group B of August’s soccer tournament, Hassan and former Midtjylland compatriot, Sylvester Emeka Igbonu have both warned under-23 national team, Naija Eagles coach, Samson Yebowei Siasia that Olsson will be a major threat in Rio.

Sisia’s squad will face Sweden on Sunday, 7th August at Amazônia Arena in their second Group B fixture at Rio 2016, ahead of which Hassan and Igbonu have both explicitly warned that the Nigerian gaffer and his players must be wary of Olssson.

The lad under focus was part of the Sweden’s squad that won the European U-21 Championship in Czech Republic last summer and played a key role in Midtjylland’s Europa League exploits against Manchester United of England.

Olsson, who was on the books of Arsenal prior to his move to Denmark, is regarded as one of the top talents in his homeland and has drawn comparisons with Mesut Ozil as well as former Gunners’ hero, Fredrik Ljungberg.

“It is a good draw for Nigeria and I believe we can qualify for the quarterfinals. Kristoffer is a very good player, very good with the ball and has an eye to set up goals. He plays like Ozil, he is an excellent player,” Igboun told allnigeriasoccer.com.

Haasan, who is presently Olsson’s teammate, added: “Kristoffer is a very skilful player. (He) has good passes and (is) a very hardworking player. He is not so fast but okay and doesn’t talk too much. He plays a bit like Ozil.”

http://sportsdayonline.com/u23-team-must-watch-olsson-hassan/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 8:24am On Apr 16, 2016
Ola Aina, Fikayo Tomori Star As Chelsea Qualify For UEFA Youth League Showpiece Game

Ola Aina, Fikayo Tomori Star As Chelsea Qualify For UEFA Youth League Showpiece Game
The Chelsea U19s have qualified for the final of the UEFA Youth League for a second successive year on the heels of their win against Anderlecht in Switzerland on Friday at Centre sportif de Colovray.

Ola Aina and Fikayo Tomori got manager Adi Viveash’s nod in defense, while the young striker Ike Ugbo was among the seven substitutes.

The English side romped to a 3-0 win in the game against the Belgians, with Palmer,Colkett and Abraham finding the back of the net.

Aina and Tomori, who assisted goalkeeper Bradley Collins post a shutout, went the full 90 minutes, whereas Ugbo did not come off the bench in what would have been his third appearance if he was given a run out.

In Monday’s final, Chelsea will face PSG after the French side saw off Real Madrid in the other semifinal tie.

http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18681

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 8:28am On Apr 16, 2016
Nigerian Exports: Ikeme Gifts Hull City 3 Points;Simon, Obinna&Friday Score;Olajengbesi Still Going Strong; Enobakhare Makes Cameo

Nigerian Exports: Ikeme Gifts Hull City 3 Points;Simon, Obinna&Friday Score;Olajengbesi Still Going Strong; Enobakhare Makes Cameo
Allnigeriasoccer.com reviews the performances of players of Nigerian descent in the European Leagues on Friday.

Victor Obinna was on target for the first time since September 2015 as MSV Duisburg defeated 1860 Munich 2-1 in the 2 Bundesliga. The attacker netted the game-winner in the 85th minute.

The ex-Inter Milan and West Ham star led his team’s attack alongside Kingsley Onuegbu. They both played the full 90 minutes, while Austria international Rubin Okotie came off the bench for 1860 Munich in the 75th minute.

Dream Team VI star Taiwo Awoniyi worked a ninety-minute shift in attack as FSV Frankfurt fell 2-0 at home to Paderborn.

Former Nigeria international Seyi Olajengbesi was in action for the entirety of the game in Sandhausen’s 1-0 victory versus RasenBallsport Leipzig in the 3rd Liga.

In the Dutch Eredivisie, there was no Bartholomew Ogbeche in the Twente lineup in their clash with De Graafschap as a result of injury. Teammate Chinedu Ede started at De Vijverberg and lasted only 38 minutes before he subbed out.

Elsewhere, in the Norwegian Tippeligaen, four Nigerians William Troost-Ekong, Anthony Izuchukwu(both FK Haugesund), Fred Friday and Innocent Bonke(both Lillestrom) made their respective teams starting XI for the first game in the fifth round.

Friday rescued a point for the Canaries ten minutes from time as both teams settled for a 2-2 draw. Ibrahim Shuaibu entered the fray for FKH in the 69th minute.

In the Swedish Allsvenskan, Michael Omoh and Alhaji Gero (Oestersunds FK) were unused substitutes against John Owoeri’s BK Hacken. The homers triumphed 2-1 with Owoeri in action for 71 minutes.

Moses Simon struck in the 87th minute as Jupiler League champs Gent saw off Oostende 2-0. He was introduced in the 74th minute, 18 minutes after Joseph Akpala stepped out onto the GHELAMCO-arena pitch.

Peter Olayinka (Gent) and Godwin Saviour(Oostende) did not make the 18-man squads for their respective teams. The former Albanian-based striker is yet to debut for Gent after switching in the January transfer window.

Fegor Ogude worked a ninety-minute shift for Amkar Perm as they shared the spoils with relegation candidates Mordovya. (1-1).

Chuma Anene, a former Norway youth-teamer,played the full game while the third Nigerian on the payroll of Amkar Perm Brian Idowu entered the fray in the 10th minute.

In the English Championship, Wolverhampton Wanderers netminder Carl Ikeme gifted the three points to Hull City after scoring an own goal in the 90th minute as his side lost 2-1 at the KC Stadium.

The Super Eagle and teammate Dominic Iorfa played the full game, while Bright Enobakhare made a one-minute cameo. Moses Odubajo started for the home team but was replaced in the 67th minute.

As Hull City pushed for a winner, manager Steve Bruce introduced Sone Aluko and Chuba Akpom in the 72nd minute.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18683

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by daveP(m): 10:11am On Apr 16, 2016
amagunnerfan:
What has Welbeck got to do with this? Welbeck is better than Bony and I am sure you know it.
Are you a Gunner? so am i.

we all know how frustrating it can be when welbeck waste final touches in the final third. this is not hidden. 26 matches, 4 goals and then this season 7matches, 3goals. Jon Champion in sarcasm, call this an 'improvement' that's about that.

I can agree with you on who is better as at now though.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by daveP(m): 10:20am On Apr 16, 2016
I vouch for Obafemi Martins to be one of the overaged players in this team. He is still good, yet doesn't get calls to the senior team. we know how he muscles defences in the MLS. Besides, Siasia know how well to tactically use him unlike the clueless coaches that put him in a position where he won't look effective.

Onazi, Mikel, Osaze..... Leon Balogun@ Icon4s
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Pavarotti: 11:35am On Apr 16, 2016
Lovely piece
Icon4 spot on as always
Icon4s:

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.