Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,861 members, 7,862,845 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 07:45 AM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (313) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (704693 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 7:36pm On Aug 04, 2016
goldfish80:

Sorry to digress, but I think we have over celebrated the achievement of beating Brazil in Atalanta 96.
Wining a game after coming from behind by virtually the last kick of the game is stuff of dreams, should be memorable and rightly so. But the extent we have gone as a nation celebrating this one victory after 20 years is starting to bother me.

Isnt it high time we move on from that victory which was an U23 tourney?

I feel ashamed whenever I hear Rafiu Ladipo and Co singing "Bebeto wants to cry when Nigeria win Brazil" in this era.

Imagine Nigeria on the ropes against Congo and the Atalanta 96 songs comes on like the game was played 24hrs earlier. It simply shows we are not ready to move on.

The Germans won Brazil at the maracana 7:1 yet they seem to have moved on.

I don't see the Spanish making songs and dances of the 4:0 thumping of Italy at the Euro 2012 finals.

It's just like England still making songs about about their famous 1977 heroics.

Am sorry to say this, but u think it's time we move on. The rest of the world have left us behind.

Let me diagnose the problem here.

Did you watch Atlanta 96?

I dnt mean through a youtube video. I mean live in July to August 1996.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 7:41pm On Aug 04, 2016
lexyman:
@icons ....just like yesterday ,memory lingers , the picture is still very clear in my head . When 2am looked like 2pm .

I think history has a way of repeating itself . Team Nigeria was stranded that same year . The money allocated for the journey was stolen . You should remember this Icon . Someone stole the briefcase of dollar and this lead the dream team to be stranded .

Yeah I remember that missing dollar brief case story.

But after we won our first game against Hungary, we swept the case aside and cheered the team until they won Gold.

The boys should just win against Japan tonight and lets start the healing process.

Meanwhile Honduras trashing Algeria 2-0.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 7:45pm On Aug 04, 2016
MEGGATRON:

A very good morning to boss, I'm sorry to have disturbed you,but you have to help me now.

The Mr nairaland contest is on,as a matter of fact,today is going to be the semi finals and I need you to help me vote falconey. I am writing you because I am trusting You.

the link to the voting thread is

https://www.nairaland.com/3265483/mr-nairaland-contest-2016-semi-final

voting starts 10am- 6pm

the voting format is "" I vote falconey Cc; NLjega"

Thanks so much Boss.

Sorry bro.

I am just seeing this. Guess I missed out on it.

All the best.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 7:56pm On Aug 04, 2016
BascoVanVeli:
Guys lets get pumped up the olympics are here. Lets not have wasted the time in building up, we can do this only if we believe.

YEAH!!!! LET GO THERE!!!

SA VS BRAZIL national anthems being sang.

Nkosi si ka le li Africa.....

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by falconey(m): 8:02pm On Aug 04, 2016
Icon4s:

Sorry bro.

I am just seeing this. Guess I missed out on it.

All the best.

lol you didnt miss much , final is Saturday i made it . 10am to 6pm is the time in fashion section

the voting format is "I VOTE FALCONEY CC NLJEGA"

thank you sir I will mention you to remind you sir
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by phamarsenal: 8:29pm On Aug 04, 2016
where can I watch d Nigeria match
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by goldfish80(m): 9:08pm On Aug 04, 2016
Icon4s:

Let me diagnose the problem here.

Did you watch Atlanta 96?

I dnt mean through a youtube video. I mean live in July to August 1996.

LOL.. You may be surprised I followed the dream team's route to the gold medal more than you did.

From the game against Japan, Hungary,the 0:1 reverse against Brazil at the group stage, I think a certain Ronaldo scored the only goalif memory serves me, Mexico......

I remember the soldiers at the military post close to my house firing shots into the air in celebration when Celestine scored the second goal to bury Argentina in the finals.

If not for the political brouhaha between Abacha and Mandela which lead to our ban by caf. The Nigerian team would have won back to back nations cup titles between 96 and 98,in my opinion.

The problem you should rather "diagnose" would have been why we still make tunes and dance durring games about the victory in 96, 20 solid years after. Not even for national team achievement but an U23 tournament.

Have you seen the aparty top players have shown towards this year's Olympics?
It simply tells you nobody takes the thing seriously anymore.

I believe Nigeria have out grown the 96 victory. Am sorry to speak from the belly.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:12pm On Aug 04, 2016
Trials and Tribulations of Samson Siasia

From when I followed Samson Siasia as a player, he seemed a man who has faced loads of Challenges. He keeps a cool face and Character as the loads come.

As a player, I remember the Carlsberg Cup friendly tournament we won with Ganiyu Abide, Kingsley Obiekwu (A member of the Atlanta Gold winning Squad, Garba Ahmed (Yaro-Yaro) and Samson Siasia.

Coach Siasia finished as the top scorer in that tourney and was our top scorer during the Friendlies in preparation for France '98 World Cup.

When the final list came out, Samson Siasia's name was not on the list. It was a sad experience for those who followed the Friendlies.

The first time as a coach we saw him lose out of the qualifiers without him starting the qualifying games. He always ended up in bad situations and unfair chances.

His last qualifiers which saw Niger pull out from the qualifiers and costing Coach Siasia's team a chance to qualify second in the group.

During his Olympics Qualifying campaign, kidnappers took the mother of the coach. His players washed and wore their jersey's during the finals.

During the camping for the Olympics, his footballers battled without adequate financial supports. Someone stole the cards and money of the coach.

European Clubs refused to release his top players for this Olympics.

As the battle of the travel arrangement went on, one will know that coach Siasia is a man experienced with dealing with the odds against him.

Our hearts should be with the Dream Team as they once again go out to defend the pride of the Nation and the faith of COACH SAMSON SIASIA.

Fly Eagles Fly.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:18pm On Aug 04, 2016
These are not the best players we could select but one thing we must remember is that these young men are fighters. From washing their jerseys during the qualifiers to not getting their bonuses, they have stayed together and believed in the dream of the coach.

As they arrive Rio to begin a great battle, let us rally behind these Warriors.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:21pm On Aug 04, 2016
The odds are against us. Going to the field from a long journey. That is the height of a challenge a football team could have.

The bookmakers have put the odds against us. Some times, when things get so tough, you leave it and let God deal with it.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:26pm On Aug 04, 2016
My written Igbo is poor, so cope with me.

Ihie Siwike Kpo Ya Jehovah Mo, Ko Zah,
Ihie Siwike Kpo Ya Jehovah MO, Ko Zah
Oga Zarigi.

(Icon4s do not shoot me.)

Interpretation to the best of my knowledge:

When Things are hard, call Jehovah and he will answer you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 9:29pm On Aug 04, 2016
goldfish80:

LOL.. You may be surprised I followed the dream team's route to the gold medal more than you did.

From the game against Japan, Hungary,the 0:1 reverse against Brazil at the group stage, I think a certain Ronaldo scored the only goalif memory serves me, Mexico......

I remember the soldiers at the military post close to my house firing shots into the air in celebration when Celestine scored the second goal to bury Argentina in the finals.

If not for the political brouhaha between Abacha and Mandela which lead to our ban by caf. The Nigerian team would have won back to back nations cup titles between 96 and 98,in my opinion.

The problem you should rather "diagnose" would have been why we still make tunes and dance durring games about the victory in 96, 20 solid years after. Not even for national team achievement but an U23 tournament.

I believe Nigeria have out grown the 96 victory. Am sorry to speak from the belly.

Hahaha, I laugh.

If not that google is everyone's friend I would have asked you some simple questions about some of the matches and you would have failed woefully.

Point of correction. The matches order was Nigeria vs Hungary, Nigeria vs Japan and then Nigeria vs Brazil and not the order in which you wrote it. grin

Bros just like TheGoodJoe rightly pointed out, we are going continue celebrating the Olympic Gold win.

1st August 1996 (nig time) is a day I will never forget in my life.

It was like an independence day to us.
See past results against Brazil prio to then:

1983 WYC: Brazil 3-0 Nigeria
1985 WYC: Brazil 2-0 Nigeria
1987 WYC: Brazil 4-0 Nigeria
1988 Olympics: Brazil 4-0 Nigeria
1996 Olympics grp match: Brazil 1-0 Nigeria.

We had never even scored against Brazil.

England recently celebrated 50years after winning the World Cup and we Nigerians are celebrating 20years after winning the Olympic Gold.

"When Nigeria beat Brazil, when Nigeria beat Brazil O. Bebeto come dey cry. When Nigeria beat Brazil" tongue

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:29pm On Aug 04, 2016
My Blood Is Hot!!! My Blood Is Hot!!!

Kpo Ya Chukwu No Ga Zah,
Kpo Ya Chukwu No Ga Zah O!!!

Call on God and He will answer.

Wish and Pray for the best for the Dream Team. Our Hearts are with you.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:33pm On Aug 04, 2016
goldfish80:

Correction.

Claudio Lopez scored the first goal from a cross from Hernan Crespo. A header. 0-1

Celestine replied with a header. 1-1
Hernan Crespo replied with a penalty. 1-2
Amokachi aka Gingah replied. 2-2
Amunike Won it from finishing a Wilson Oruma curling free kick. 3-2
Final score 3-2.
I still remember our players jogging with their Thank You America Banner.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 9:38pm On Aug 04, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
This are not the best team we could select but one thing we must remember is that these young men are fighters. From washing their jerseys during the qualifiers to not getting their bonuses, they have stayed together and believed in the dream of the coach.

As they arrive Rio to begin a great battle, let us rally behind these Warriors.

Yeah, that is the spirit.

Infact haven watched Honduras vs Algeria and currently watching Brazil vs South Africa, there is hope for us. The standard is generally low, Most teams if not all came to Rio with relatively green horns.

Although I am not raising my hope too high, but I know our team will present s decscent outing.

Hmmm but let them scale through this night's torture. Travelling 7-8 hrs and play 6hrs later. That torture is jst too much.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 9:40pm On Aug 04, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Correction.

Claudio Lopez scored the first goal from a cross from Hernan Crespo. A header. 0-1

Final score 3-2.

No mind that guy jare. He no sabi say some people carry all the statistics of Nigerian football for head here grin

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 9:42pm On Aug 04, 2016
10 man South Africa holding 12man Brazil (Neymer=2players). 84min: 0-0!

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 9:44pm On Aug 04, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Oga Zarigi.

Na so. You tried my brother.

Na prayers things now o.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:00pm On Aug 04, 2016
Mikel all smiles as Dream Team finally arrives Manaus

After what seemed like eternity —plus what may well have been a dig by Atlanta Airport — the Nigerian Under-23 team has finally landed in Manaus.

An official of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) confirmed the team’s arrival to TheCable at about 7:30pm Nigerian time, saying the players were “currently collecting their luggage.

The federation late tweeted photos of the team’s arrival, showing John Obi Mikel, the captain, beaming with smiles.

Nigeria plays its first match of the tournament at 2am Nigerian time on Friday — approximately six hours after it landed in the cityMore to follow…

https://www.thecable.ng/just-in-mikel-all-smiles-as-dream-team-finally-arrives-manaus?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C5371526980
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by goldfish80(m): 10:30pm On Aug 04, 2016
Icon4s:

Hahaha, I laugh.

If not that google is everyone's friend I would have asked you some simple questions about some of the matches and you would have failed woefully.

Point of correction. The matches order was Nigeria vs Hungary, Nigeria vs Japan and then Nigeria vs Brazil and not the order in which you wrote it. grin

Bros just like TheGoodJoe rightly pointed out, we are going continue celebrating the Olympic Gold win.

England recently celebrated 50years after winning the World Cup and we Nigerians are celebrating 20years after winning the Olympic Gold.

"When Nigeria beat Brazil, when Nigeria beat Brazil O. Bebeto come dey cry. When Nigeria beat Brazil" tongue
TheGoodJoe:

Correction.
Final score 3-2.
Icon4s:

Hahaha, I laugh.

Look, its been 20 years and I put forward the games Nigeria played off heart without consulting any search engine. If my memory is hazy and I didn't type the games we played in the correct other, I believe I should be excused.

I find it rather insulting on my personality when you suggest I could be some kid who didn't see 96. Please watch it

If you disagree with whatever I post, do so in the most civilized way as possible. Am sure I have not come across as a confrontational poster here thus far.

@Thegoodjoe you're spot on.
I remember the funny dance step celestine made after scoring that header.

After the game Taribo lifted Bonferer shoulder high while celebrating.

I still stick to my point, that we should move on from 96.

We may agree to disagree.

3 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by papinx(m): 11:33pm On Aug 04, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Oga Zarigi.

Lol... Nice attempt sir

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:51am On Aug 05, 2016
goldfish80:

Look, its been 20 years and I put forward the games Nigeria played off heart without consulting any search engine. If my memory is hazy and I didn't type the games we played in the correct other, I believe I should be excused.

I find it rather insulting on my personality when you suggest I could be some kid who didn't see 96. Please watch it

If you disagree with whatever I post, do so in the most civilized way as possible. Am sure I have not come across as a confrontational poster here thus far.

@Thegoodjoe you're spot on.
I remember the funny dance step celestine made after scoring that header.

After the game Taribo lifted Bonferer shoulder high while celebrating.

I still stick to my point, that we should move on from 96.

We may agree to disagree.

No one is attacking you. Icon4s just wanted to make sure it is not because you do not understand the magnitude of the glory.

By the way, your a good analyst and I look forward to your contributions. However, saying we should move on from Atlanta '96 success story is like telling us to forget our DNA.

Things like these define us and become the symbol of the Green White Green.

We are still striving for greatness. Like Icon4s says, WE ARE NOT THERE YET.

However, we must hold on to our roots, know who we are and match on to achieve more.

We might not have memorable titles but we have produced memorable games. Some magnificent comebacks. Like the defeat of Spain in France '98. The famous Julius Aghahowa Double strikes against Senegal. Coach Stephen Keshi's CHAN comeback.

It is not like if we just think Atlanta. It is our history.

Please, do not tell Icon4s, "watch it". He is our big brother here. Make your point without sounding rude to him. Please.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 1:03am On Aug 05, 2016
I believe the team will do well. How well? can't tell.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:05am On Aug 05, 2016
We may be tired and frustrated, but we’re all still together and ready to win gold in Rio,” said team captain and Chelsea midfielder Mikel John Obi.

Obi Kereren Ke.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 2:03am On Aug 05, 2016
I dont believe I'm awake watching this match.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:04am On Aug 05, 2016
[b]How Delta Air rescued Dream Team with special NBA chartered aircraft to Brazil

By LAWANI MIKAIRU
Delta Airlines has come to the rescue of Nigeria’s football Dream Team by providing a dedicated charter flight to fly the team from Atlanta to Manaus in Brazil less than 24 hours before their crucial Rio Olympics football game opening match against Japan.

Confirming this development, Delta Airlines Nigeria Public Relation consultant, Mr Muhammed Abdullahi said “thanks to a tab temporarily picked up by Delta Air Lines for the charter flight, the stranded team is expected to land in Brazil at 2pm local time which gives the team just enough time to clear customs and stretch before kickoff at 9pm.”

He further disclosed that “the Nigeria Dream team flew to Manaus in the special Delta charter flight usually used for the National Basketball Association, flight 757-200 (VIP NBA Aircraft) to operate the flight, after obtaining NBAs permission to operate the aircraft for the mission.”

Commenting on the airlifting, Delta Airlines spokesman Anthony Black “This is a special occasion, not only because it’s the Olympics, but also, exactly 20 years ago, on this day, the Nigerian football team needed a miracle to beat Argentina to win the gold medal in Atlanta at the Olympics. Today, we are happy to help them with another miracle.”

Confirming the development, Samson Siasia, the coach of the Nigerian team said “The team is flying down on a charter that takes sports teams to their destinations. This makes the players happy. The players will have more leg room and they will be able to sleep on their way to Manaus.”

Recall that the Nigeria U23 football team representing the country in the current Olympics in Brazil have been stranded in United States of America, USA, where they had their training camp preparing for the tournament. The Sport Minister, Mr Solomon Dalung claimed he was not consulted before the coach of the team decided to take his camping to USA.[/b]

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/how-delta-air-rescued-dream-team-with-special-nba-chartered-aircraft-to-brazil/
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 2:05am On Aug 05, 2016
The Line Up

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:06am On Aug 05, 2016
Commenting on the airlifting, Delta Airlines spokesman Anthony Black “This is a special occasion, not only because it’s the Olympics, but also, exactly 20 years ago, on this day, the Nigerian football team needed a miracle to beat Argentina to win the gold medal in Atlanta at the Olympics. Today, we are happy to help them with another miracle.”

Thank You Delta Airlines. Thank You, Atlanta. Thank You America.

God Be with you all. Come On Dream Team.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 2:07am On Aug 05, 2016
NIgeria scores....Sadiq Umar!
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:08am On Aug 05, 2016
joseph1013:
The Line Up

Thanks. A very good one. Glad Coach Siasia saw Playing Usman wide. Also a midfield based system. The Coach did his homework
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 2:09am On Aug 05, 2016
6' Imoh Ezekiel (Nigeria) produces a promising shot after his wonderful solo run, but Masatoshi Kushibiki thwarted his effort, which went to the bottom left corner, with a fabulous save, and the score doesn't change.

6' Goal! The rebound fell to Umar Sadiq (Nigeria) and he fired home from close range. The score is 1:0.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:09am On Aug 05, 2016
We must to dance Alanta, We must dance Swor.

(1) (2) (3) ... (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.