Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,833 members, 7,820,915 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:37 AM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (336) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (699083 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (333) (334) (335) (336) (337) (338) (339) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 4:43pm On Aug 19, 2016
terzurum5:

Am also that surprised, not really at the omission of A. Iwobi, O. Azubuike, K. Omeruo, Isaac Success and I. Ezekiel, but the quality of the new invitees.

I wish they had invited something better, especially N. Igiebor. I doubt if the guys has got something new to offer. Stephen Keshi gave this guy his chance but failed to take it.

In any case, this is AFCON qualifiers and not the World Cup Qualifiers, so lets still hope for the best in the future.

We need our best players to start playing together early enough for proper gelling. That Tanzania game is our only friendlies window before the WC qualifiers. For now we already have so many quality players to select from. So no need going back inviting some old players hu have lost steam just to revive their careers.

We need to hit d grown running. From d Rio squad we have a harvest of quality players. If u add this to d number that were not released by their clubs and some older Super Eagles players hu are still in form, we have a robust squad already.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:05pm On Aug 19, 2016
Icon4s:

Etebo out may be due to his injury. But how come Alex Iwobi and Azubuike are nt on that list?

Jamiu Alimi of Kano Pillars would on the list while Kenneth Omeruo is snubbed. Isaac Success and Imho Ezekiel left out while Victor Osimhen is in.

Nosa Igiebor that is on a declining curve is selected ahead of fast rising Alex Iwobi?

This people don come again o.

Imoh Ezekiel is there.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:15pm On Aug 19, 2016
“We all knew that once we won, all that we did not get, we will be given. And that was exactly what happened... Garba Lawal.

Coach Amunike's U17 team won the World Cup. All they did not get is not given.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:18pm On Aug 19, 2016
Icon4s:

We need our best players to start playing together early enough for proper gelling. That Tanzania game is our only friendlies window before the WC qualifiers. For now we already have so many quality players to select from. So no need going back inviting some old players hu have lost steam just to revive their careers.

We need to hit d grown running. From d Rio squad we have a harvest of quality players. If u add this to d number that were not released by their clubs and some older Super Eagles players hu are still in form, we have a robust squad already.

It is sad that since the NFF dropped Coach Keshi, Oshaniwa is yet to get a call up. That guy performed well during the AFCON qualifiers and the World Cup. Beats my imagination that until now, he is yet to get a chance. Same case with Sone Aluko.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Mickael2(m): 5:27pm On Aug 19, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

First of all, it is pathetic calling a young teen, who lost his father not long before the tournament, gave his all for the team a big fool. You can show more decency than that.

Second, the Germans were up to the challenge. What Sadiq Umar did was short of a miracle. He was the only man most times up against the string experienced German defenders.

The Germans held the ball and kept possession. It was mostly Sadiq Umar and Mikel doing most of the pressing.

Look at when Junior Ajayi came in, no disrespect to him but he could not cope with the pressure. The Germans swallowed him and he caused impact.

We created chances because of the hard work Sadiq put in. So calling him a fool and the problem is not fair. He helped with a lot of pressure.

Controlling and holding the ball in that game was difficult because of the Germans pressure. Only Mikel found a way to keep the ball comfortably.

So abusing the young man is not fair.

I respectfully beg to differ. he did nothing from the first whistle till the end. has it been that he started the match well then I may consider that but he was totally absent from the game. he wasn't pressing alone, Mikel was there cutting off the passing lanes just that Sadiq does not know how to press. he will be pressing from the side that Mikel was standing, I went to the principals cup 15 years ago for my school and the first thing our coach told us was to spread our pressure, don't stand directly in front or behind anyone, so how come he, a Roma player, does not know that? let's not sugar cost the issue here. he was abysmally poor from the first whistle simple and short

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Mickael2(m): 5:34pm On Aug 19, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Sadiq Umar has speed and the talent to become a top rated striker. He needs experience and training to perform regularly at the top level.

. [/color]

please tell me you are joking. speed? damn, speed?! that guy?!
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:34pm On Aug 19, 2016
Mickael2:

I respectfully beg to differ. he did nothing from the first whistle till the end. has it been that he started the match well then I may consider that but he was totally absent from the game. he wasn't pressing alone, Mikel was there cutting off the passing lanes just that Sadiq does not know how to press. he will be pressing from the side that Mikel was standing, I went to the principals cup 15 years ago for my school and the first thing our coach told us was to spread our pressure, don't stand directly in front or behind anyone, so how come he, a Roma player, does not know that? let's not sugar cost the issue here. he was abysmally poor from the first whistle simple and short

What are you saying? How could he stand directly in front of a player when the Germans played a possessive game and kept moving the ball?

Sadiq was up against two defenders. He was the only one up front. Mikel dropped into the midfield many times to help. So Sadiq Umar was alone up front.

Sometimes, the Bender Twins dropped deep to help make passing out of the back fluid.

Throughout the match while Sadiq Umar was on, the German defenders found it difficult to keep the ball. They passed back to the keeper to retain possession. One of these led to the mistake that Sadiq Umar almost scored.

Yet you are saying he contributed nothing.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:35pm On Aug 19, 2016
Mickael2:

please tell me you are joking. speed? damn, speed?! that guy?!

Yes. Speed. That guy put a lot of pressure on a compact defence. A slow player can not do it.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Mickael2(m): 5:38pm On Aug 19, 2016
Icon4s:

You couldn't have said it any better.

I am one of those few people that believe Sadiq Umar put up a very descent performance cos I never expected too much from him anyways.
I am glad u mentioned he needs EXPERIENCE and training to grow. And that is exactly what He needs now.

Talking about Seth Sincere when peeps criticise him I usually ask if they know he just turned 18, nt yet a professional league player and also not a CB?
For his level of exposure he did ok. Aside the momentary errors he makes that boy is nice ball passer. He also to me should have been with d Flying Eagles where he would have added more value.

didn't you notice that only the two of you are saying it? that means you are letting patriotism get in the way
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Mickael2(m): 5:44pm On Aug 19, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

What are you saying? How could he stand directly in front of a player when the Germans played a possessive game and kept moving the ball?

Sadiq was up against two defenders. He was the only one up front. Mikel dropped into the midfield many times to help. So Sadiq Umar was alone up front.

Sometimes, the Bender Twins dropped deep to help make passing out of the back fluid.

Throughout the match while Sadiq Umar was on, the German defenders found it difficult to keep the ball. They passed back to the keeper to retain possession. One of these led to the mistake that Sadiq Umar almost scored.

Yet you are saying he contributed nothing.

permit to ask if you have ever played a technical match before? I think not. standing means your position, just like when you draw a formation you use dots or circles. it does not mean that you will be stagnant, it means that is your take off position. simply put. when you press you have to be aware of the position of the person behind you, all game long Mikel was trying to stay off his back to create a diagonal marking system but Sadiq was just pressing from everywhere and anywhere which nullified Mikel's press not that Mikel was not pressing, two players do not chase the same opponent at a time

the German defenders even had time to dribble out of the back many times. they hardly hooked the ball forward they almost always passed it. even the goalkeeper had time to make first touches
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:57pm On Aug 19, 2016
Mickael2:

permit to ask if you have ever played a technical match before? I think not. standing means your position, just like when you draw a formation you use dots or circles. it does not mean that you will be stagnant, it means that is your take off position. simply put. when you press you have to be aware of the position of the person behind you, all game long Mikel was trying to stay off his back to create a diagonal marking system but Sadiq was just pressing from everywhere and anywhere which nullified Mikel's press not that Mikel was not pressing, two players do not chase the same opponent at a time

the German defenders even had time to dribble out of the back many times. they hardly hooked the ball forward they almost always passed it. even the goalkeeper had time to make first touches

With your technical match, are you reading what you said?

Sadiq was just pressing from everywhere and anywhere

See what you wrote and then you wrote the boy was totally absent. Sadiq was more than Human in that game. He ran his heart out. Pressuring them.

What do you want him to do? Stand aside and wait for Mikel, so they can press together.

That sounds like a joke to me. Go and watch Tevez play for Manchester United and watch him press repeatedly.

Sadiq was the top man. His job was to press. Mikel does not have the kind of Pace Sadiq had to keep up with the Germans.

Mikel impressed me a lot because he helped support. I was impressed seeing Mikel give his all to assist.

You are looking for an excuse to criticise. Talking technical match. That boy was brilliant. His pressing was impressive. He gave his all. Put the Germans under pressure throughout the game. If he had the pace of Etebo behind him, the Germans will not cope.

Give the boy his kudos. He gave a lot and deserve better than you calling him a big fool.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by edi287: 6:02pm On Aug 19, 2016
Icon4s:

Etebo out may be due to his injury. But how come Alex Iwobi and Azubuike are nt on that list?

Jamiu Alimi of Kano Pillars would on the list while Kenneth Omeruo is snubbed. Isaac Success and Imho Ezekiel left out while Victor Osimhen is in.

Nosa Igiebor that is on a declining curve is selected ahead of fast rising Alex Iwobi?

This people don come again o.
Iwobi is injured. Imoh Ezekiel made the team.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:05pm On Aug 19, 2016
Mickael2:

Mikel had to deal with the Bender Twins. So Mikel could not just drift in to help. I do not know how you want him aware of Mikel when the ball was in motion. His eyes were on the ball, not back. The support up front was few because we opted for a long ball strategy.

If we were pressing in numbers, then we can talk about awareness.

The Germans spread the ball rapidly. Sadiq Umar's job was to keep them uncomfortable. He did most of that job alone.

For an amateur and a teenager, that was breathtaking. That is why I find the abuses he gets baffling. That was a monumental task for him. A task he did well.

Then you have Mikel who has never been a pacy player. Mikel's job would not be to help press but to read the direction of play to intercept the ball when the Germans pushed it out due to Sadiq's pressing.

Mikel later drifted in when Sadiq got tired and Mikel got a control into the pattern of play.

It was a compact defence, with a defensive midfield that supported the defence. Two men is not even enough to press. Then with a Mikel who relies more on reading the game than pressing with Speed, I find it hard you are trying to downplay Sadiq's performance.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Mickael2(m): 9:11pm On Aug 19, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

With your technical match, are you reading what you said?

Sadiq was just pressing from everywhere and anywhere

See what you wrote and then you wrote the boy was totally absent. Sadiq was more than Human in that game. He ran his heart out. Pressuring them.

What do you want him to do? Stand aside and wait for Mikel, so they can press together.

That sounds like a joke to me. Go and watch Tevez play for Manchester United and watch him press repeatedly.

Sadiq was the top man. His job was to press. Mikel does not have the kind of Pace Sadiq had to keep up with the Germans.

Mikel impressed me a lot because he helped support. I was impressed seeing Mikel give his all to assist.

You are looking for an excuse to criticise. Talking technical match. That boy was brilliant. His pressing was impressive. He gave his all. Put the Germans under pressure throughout the game. If he had the pace of Etebo behind him, the Germans will not cope.

Give the boy his kudos. He gave a lot and deserve better than you calling him a big fool.

I will combine everything together here. pressing does not in any way mean just chasing the ball, it means hunting in packs literally and a pack of dogs attack together not individually. hence, Sadiw was working hard but he was wasting his strength because his press was disjointed I don't know if you are with me yet? Mikael was cutting off the passing lanes but Sadiq made our press diffused so they could easily pass the ball around hence by passing Mikels's press too all in one.

he does not have to stand aside, he has to press from the opposite side that Mikel is pressing from so that the player will be forced to either misplace a pass which Mikel will intercept or hook it clear but Sadiq was just pressing like he was playing a five aside game. he worked hard but that was not.his job that he was doing. His work rate was okay. But for a professional he should know how to press at least, he was supposed to press not mark, do you now understand?
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Mickael2(m): 9:23pm On Aug 19, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Mikel had to deal with the Bender Twins. So Mikel could not just drift in to help. I do not know how you want him aware of Mikel when the ball was in motion. His eyes were on the ball, not back. The support up front was few because we opted for a long ball strategy.

If we were pressing in numbers, then we can talk about awareness.

The Germans spread the ball rapidly. Sadiq Umar's job was to keep them uncomfortable. He did most of that job alone.

For an amateur and a teenager, that was breathtaking. That is why I find the abuses he gets baffling. That was a monumental task for him. A task he did well.

Then you have Mikel who has never been a pacy player. Mikel's job would not be to help press but to read the direction of play to intercept the ball when the Germans pushed it out due to Sadiq's pressing.

Mikel later drifted in when Sadiq got tired and Mikel got a control into the pattern of play.

It was a compact defence, with a defensive midfield that supported the defence. Two men is not even enough to press. Then with a Mikel who relies more on reading the game than pressing with Speed, I find it hard you are trying to downplay Sadiq's performance.

let me use an illustration. Barcelona vs Real Madrid. Madrid always employs a high pressing game and we all know Ronaldo hardly joins the press. So literally their first line is usually Benzema and Bale. here is how they do it: Barca's right side is made up of Pique and Alves as at last season o, and the left side contains Mascherano and Alba, now when Pique has the ball, Benzema moves into the space between Pique and Mascherano cutting off the right side from the left side, then Bale will chase the ball along a straight line to cut off any direct pass to Busquets in the DMF position, he can now only pass to Alves, by then Carvajal moves up to occupy Messi, Iniesta is occupied by Modric or Kroos, Alves can either go back to the gk or try to switch play to the left side or hook it clear which increases Madrid's chances of winning possession, that is what pressing means and YES two persons can do it up top. if Benzema just rushes straight in, Pique will have 4 options to pass to and Bale can do nothing about it, so he will be chasing the ball but it will be ineffective. Sadie didn't do his job well, he was disjointed simple and short

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:28pm On Aug 19, 2016
Mickael2:

I will combine everything together here. pressing does not in any way mean just chasing the ball, it means hunting in packs literally and a pack of dogs attack together not individually. hence, Sadiw was working hard but he was wasting his strength because his press was disjointed I don't know if you are with me yet? Mikael was cutting off the passing lanes but Sadiq made our press diffused so they could easily pass the ball around hence by passing Mikels's press too all in one.

he does not have to stand aside, he has to press from the opposite side that Mikel is pressing from so that the player will be forced to either misplace a pass which Mikel will intercept or hook it clear but Sadiq was just pressing like he was playing a five aside game. he worked hard but that was not.his job that he was doing. His work rate was okay. But for a professional he should know how to press at least, he was supposed to press not mark, do you now understand?

Pressing can be done as a team or by an individual. You can not say Sadiq Umar did not do his job because you do not know the Coach's game plan.

I have seen Manchester United sit deep and Tevez pressed solo to force the defence to loop out the ball.

In the 2009 Champions League final game between Manchester United and Barcelona, the Manchester Team sat deep. There was a time CR7 broke out from the pack to press.

In the game against Germany, Sadiq Umar was the main man up front. Mikel is not fast enough to do the work. What Mikel did was assisting.

Of you watch Tevez games, you see the same kind of pressing with the team sitting behind. If you press a possessive side who keeps the ball well in number, you play to their strength. This is due to the gaps created behind.

There was no caution from the bench or a change of pattern when our players came out after the half time break.

Sadiq Umar was useful to us on the pitch because of his pressure on the defenders. When he left, it was like a huge load lifted off the shoulders of the German. They could play in a more controlled way.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:38pm On Aug 19, 2016
Mickael2:

let me use an illustration. Barcelona vs Real Madrid. Madrid always employs a high pressing game and we all know Ronaldo hardly joins the press. So literally their first line is usually Benzema and Bale. here is how they do it: Barca's right side is made up of Pique and Alves as at last season o, and the left side contains Mascherano and Alba, now when Pique has the ball, Benzema moves into the space between Pique and Mascherano cutting off the right side from the left side, then Bale will chase the ball along a straight line to cut off any direct pass to Busquets in the DMF position, he can now only pass to Alves, by then Carvajal moves up to occupy Messi, Iniesta is occupied by Modric or Kroos, Alves can either go back to the gk or try to switch play to the left side or hook it clear which increases Madrid's chances of winning possession, that is what pressing means and YES two persons can do it up top. if Benzema just rushes straight in, Pique will have 4 options to pass to and Bale can do nothing about it, so he will be chasing the ball but it will be ineffective. Sadie didn't do his job well, he was disjointed simple and short

I did not say you can not press as a team of players. We watched the Germans play and the front line pressed with a group of players.

Benzema, Bale have pace. CR7 presses in some games too. He has pace. Neymar, Suarez, Messi, Rakitic have pace.

Sadiq Umar worked with Mikel who does not rely on pace in his game. Watch Mikel's goal against the Danes. He jogged into a gap in the defence to slot in the goal. Mikel reads weaknesses. He does not play with pace.

That makes Mikel a wrong choice to press. Mikel was more of assisting in waiting for a ball to spill after Sadiq's pressing. Sadiq worked well with Etebo because Etebo plays with pace.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by zicky(m): 9:50pm On Aug 19, 2016
As a striker Sadiq job is to score goals,if after pressing and opportunity to score provide itself and as the top striker you waste those chances, you now expect us to praise you for "pressing". Sadiq had begging opportunities to score bt the ostrich-leg could do nothing because he's 19yrs we should overlook the rubbish he displayed against Germany.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by goldfish80(m): 10:28pm On Aug 19, 2016
Icon4s:
Well, every1 here is right with what ever criticism and standpoint.

Goldfish80 is seeing the negative side of the team while TheGoodJoe is taking the positive side of it. More like a glass of water being "half full" or "half empty".

I told someone before d Germany game that if Nigeria should win that Gold then God of soccer must really be unfair to those teams who were better prepared and motivated.

This team only got as far as they potentially can. We think we can repeat Atlanta '96 with this kind of team? If this team had succeeded permit me to say dat the NFF and Sport's ministry wouldn't have learnt their lessons.

This team right from kick-off was a disaster in waiting but thank God for the doggedness and Nigerian spirit which saw them through to how far they got. The truth again is we dnt deserve that final.

Several peeps have criticised certain players and hailed some. I just to take out some positives from this team, go forward. I mean to the Super Eagles.

Oghenekaro Etebo is definitely now a Super Eagles player. His being able to play as a winger, AM, CMF and also a striking (at some of in d Sweden game ) has set him apart.

Imoh Ezekiel has staged a major claim to a winger's position in d Super Eagles. He would b added to our pool of wingers which already has Moses, Simon, Musa, Iwobi & even Etebo.

Sadiq Umar started brightly in d tourney bt lost composure at d knock out stages. I laughed when peeps said he should b playing basket ball.My take on him has d potential to become a great striker by he is nt yet in the class of Success and Iheanacho. God enough he is in a fantastic club like AS Roma. We expect his rapid development. The Super Eagles coaches should keep a very close tab on him. He may also b handed a Super Eagles call-up.

Azubuike Okechukwu is another player that proved his mettle. He will definitely give Onanzi a run for his money. He , just like Ndidi, has joined d competition for d DMF position in d Super Eagles.

Stanley Amuzie to me is a major revelation of this tourney. He has staked a major claim to d LB position of d Super Eagles. He is ahead of Madu.

Shehu Abdulahi has showed dat though he is nt a natural RB he is still our best RB option for now for the Super Eagles.

Troost Ekong to me was our most efficient player in this tourney.What would we have done without him? He has made a great statement that finally he has matured enough to b a Super Eagles regular. Good replacement for Injury prone Balogum/ Omeruo.

Sally Popoola, though my gifted height wise, is a baller. He is a very creative midfielder. His introduction in d Germany brought creativity to d midfield. This lad needs a consideration in d Super Eagles more so as we dnt have creative CMFs.

Emmanuel Daniel has proved he is good enough as one of the substitute goalies of d Super Eagles. Akpeyi has lost out.

For the other players they were just a share waste of time. Seth Sincere I must single out for his age and fact that he still plays in d academies. I wish he signs a professional contract soon and develop as RB at nt that CB he plays. Amino Amur was overjoyed by Siasia. Us man Mohammed nt creative enough.

A bronze medal would nt b bad as a consolation .

My point all along has been that the dream team  and most Nigerias have been mislead into believing the Germans we played were a world apart from our players individually. 

People make it out as if we shouldn't even stand a chance against them whereas when scrutinised properly, one would find out those German boys are young players still  struggling individually to find their feet. 

For example, their top striker on the day, Selke although highly rated but his German club Wolvesburg rate our own Oshimhen ahead of him. That explains why Oshimhen would be fast tracked to the first team at only 18yrs of age. 

Also, TheGoodJoe's opinion that the Germans pressed us to death resulting in the various comical unforced errors has been refuted by siasia and the players themselves. 

In his post match interview, siasia said the players just didn't turn up and couldn't make an excuse why they failed to execute simple passes just like I have been saying all along. 

Personally, I think the technical crew didn't do enough in reverse psychology and play down the German players abilities. Our players went into the game with the mindset they were about playing Muller, Ozil and Manuel Neure. 

Could be the reason why there was many misplaced passes and unforced errors expecially in transitions.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by goldfish80(m): 10:44pm On Aug 19, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Pressing can be done as a team or by an individual. You can not say Sadiq Umar did not do his job because you do not know the Coach's game plan.

I have seen Manchester United sit deep and Tevez pressed solo to force the defence to loop out the ball.

In the 2009 Champions League final game between Manchester United and Barcelona, the Manchester Team sat deep. There was a time CR7 broke out from the pack to press.

In the game against Germany, Sadiq Umar was the main man up front. Mikel is not fast enough to do the work. What Mikel did was assisting.

Of you watch Tevez games, you see the same kind of pressing with the team sitting behind. If you press a possessive side who keeps the ball well in number, you play to their strength. This is due to the gaps created behind.

There was no caution from the bench or a change of pattern when our players came out after the half time break.

Sadiq Umar was useful to us on the pitch because of his pressure on the defenders. When he left, it was like a huge load lifted off the shoulders of the German. They could play in a more controlled way.

Sadiq is not a national team material for now. No matter how much you try to draw positives from his performance.
He will do well to concentrate and develop himself before thinking of the next call up.

It's clear you have been sold out by the hype surrounding himself because he is registered with AS Roma. Am not sure you will defend him this much if he was playing for Ikorodu utd.

One thing about gangling players like Sadiq is that they get better with age. There's still hope with Sadiq but not in the forceable.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:17pm On Aug 19, 2016
goldfish80:

Sadiq is not a national team material for now. No matter how much you try to draw positives from his performance.
He will do well to concentrate and develop himself before thinking of the next call up.

It's clear you have been sold out by the hype surrounding himself because he is registered with AS Roma. Am not sure you will defend him this much if he was playing for Ikorodu utd.

One thing about gangling players like Sadiq is that they get better with age. There's still hope with Sadiq but not in the forceable.

You guys make fake and false remarks just to justify whatever things that go through your head.

Where did you ever get that I said Sadiq Umar is ripe for the National team?

Is that not ridiculous when few comments back, I clearly stated that Sadiq Umar has the talent but he needs experience to grow.

Clearly, you made that up to support your all negative views. Sadiq Umar worked very hard. He put up and unbelievable effort way above his age. He deserves praise and Kudos.

If he was from a local club and he put in that effort, I would have screamed through the roof.

Then you say it is because he is a Roma player. When I said Amuzie did well running up and down the flanks, I guess you will say because he is a Real Player.

What of Seth I said we should not forget he is a make shift defender? Maybe because he is a top player in Barcelona.

Your points are baseless. Holds no water. Criticise the points. Do not make baseless accusations to score cheap points.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:23pm On Aug 19, 2016
goldfish80:

My point all along has been that the dream team  and most Nigerias have been mislead into believing the Germans we played were a world apart from our players individually. 

People make it out as if we shouldn't even stand a chance against them whereas when scrutinised properly, one would find out those German boys are young players still  struggling individually to find their feet. 

For example, their top striker on the day, Selke although highly rated but his German club Wolvesburg rate our own Oshimhen ahead of him. That explains why Oshimhen would be fast tracked to the first team at only 18yrs of age. 

Also, TheGoodJoe's opinion that the Germans pressed us to death resulting in the various comical unforced errors has been refuted by siasia and the players themselves. 

In his post match interview, siasia said the players just didn't turn up and couldn't make an excuse why they failed to execute simple passes just like I have been saying all along. 

Personally, I think the technical crew didn't do enough in reverse psychology and play down the German players abilities. Our players went into the game with the mindset they were about playing Muller, Ozil and Manuel Neure. 

Could be the reason why there was many misplaced passes and unforced errors expecially in transitions. 

So you expected Coach Siasia to blame his tactics? Simple, we did not set our team to cope with the compact midfield game of the Germans.

You do not need Coach Siasia to tell you that most times our players had the ball, the Germans pressed us to retrieve it.

What we did is like West Ham resorting to long balls against Bayern Munich.

Coach Siasia saying the players did not turn up, does not mean that the players were not pressed.

I wonder how that is Refuting. You can do better than that. Or are you saying you did not understand the tactics the Germans employed?
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:30pm On Aug 19, 2016
goldfish80:

Seriously, you think Reverse psychology is the solution to countering a compact midfield.

Coach Siasia already knew passing will be difficult. How? He resorted to long balls. If he expected passing will be easy, he would not resort to long balls.

So when we tried to keep possession, it is very logical for passing to be difficult.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by goldfish80(m): 11:32pm On Aug 19, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

You guys make fake and false remarks just to justify whatever things that go through your head.

Where did you ever get that I said Sadiq Umar is ripe for the National team?

Is that not ridiculous when few comments back, I clearly stated that Sadiq Umar has the talent but he needs experience to grow.

Clearly, you made that up to support your all negative views. Sadiq Umar worked very hard. He put up and unbelievable effort way above his age. He deserves praise and Kudos.

If he was from a local club and he put in that effort, I would have screamed through the roof.

Then you say it is because he is a Roma player. When I said Amuzie did well running up and down the flanks, I guess you will say because he is a Real Player.

What of Seth I said we should not forget he is a make shift defender? Maybe because he is a top player in Barcelona.

Your points are baseless. Holds no water. Criticise the points. Do not make baseless accusations to score cheap points.

We have been trying to analyse the teams performance with the future national team invites for the players in view.
That is why posters have been recommending players like Troost, Azubuike, Imoh and Shehu for the Super eagles which for obvious reasons is a bigger fry.
Even you over the last few posts have recommended certain players from this team for the super eagles

Don't pretend like you don't know what am talking about.

I hear Roma are looking to loan him out.

No matter how much you defend him, the boy is Simply not good enough at the moment.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:47pm On Aug 19, 2016
goldfish80:

We have been trying to analyse the teams performance with the future national team invites for the players in view.
That is why posters have been recommending players like Troost, Azubuike, Imoh and Shehu for the Super eagles which for obvious reasons is a bigger fry.
Even you over the last few posts have recommended certain players from this team for the super eagles

No matter how much you defend him, the boy is Simply not good enough at the moment.

If I ever thought Sadiq Umar is ready for the National team, will I continue referring him as an amateur?

As I said, you are making things up.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:52pm On Aug 19, 2016
goldfish80:

Icon4s:

You couldn't have said it any better.

I am one of those few people that believe Sadiq Umar put up a very descent performance cos I never expected too much from him anyways.

I am glad u mentioned he needs EXPERIENCE and training to grow. And that is exactly what He needs now.

That is Icon4s view of my opinion. How you turned that to ready for the National team beats me.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by goldfish80(m): 11:56pm On Aug 19, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

So you expected Coach Siasia to blame his tactics? Simple, we did not set our team to cope with the compact midfield game of the Germans.

You do not need Coach Siasia to tell you that most times our players had the ball, the Germans pressed us to retrieve it.

What we did is like West Ham resorting to long balls against Bayern Munich.

Coach Siasia saying the players did not turn up, does not mean that the players were not pressed.

I wonder how that is Refuting. You can do better than that. Or are you saying you did not understand the tactics the Germans employed?

"Too many mistakes, faulty passes and you don't pass the ball to your opponents and expect to win. In a competition, if you don't win you are sent home," Siasia said after the match.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201608190638.html

There was a point in the 2nd half when Umar and Shehu were racing down the right flank. Umar turned the ball over straight to the German defender loosing the 2 V 1 situation.
Countless times, Ndifreke over hit or under hit a straight pass to Shehu in an attempt to switch play.

Same Ndifreke on many occasions failed to connect simple balls to the left back.

There was a point when the ball was in the 2nd phase of transition when it fell to Amuzie, under no pressure he failed to trap the ball and it rolled out of touch.

The personal errors where simply too much and that was what Siasia was complaining about.
That is why I think the team was not psyched up properly. They were jittery and nervous, leading to the many errors everywhere.

The cash strapped Nff, I think did not provide the team with a psychologist.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:07am On Aug 20, 2016
goldfish80:

"Too many mistakes, faulty passes and you don't pass the ball to your opponents and expect to win. In a competition, if you don't win you are sent home," Siasia said after the match.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201608190638.html

There was a point in the 2nd half when Umar and Shehu were racing down the right flank. Umar turned the ball over straight to the German defender loosing the 2 V 1 situation.
Countless times, Ndifreke over hit or under hit a straight pass to Shehu in an attempt to switch play.

Same Ndifreke on many occasions failed to connect simple balls to the left back.

There was a point when the ball was in the 2nd phase of transition when it fell to Amuzie, under no pressure he failed to trap the ball and it rolled out of touch.

The personal errors where simply too much and that was what Siasia was complaining about.
That is why I think the team was not psyched up properly. They were jittery and nervous, leading to the many errors everywhere.

The cash strapped Nff, I think did not provide the team with a psychologist.

All these things we have seen before. I asked you before. Do you think Coach Siasia will blame his tactics?

I watched the game and saw all those incidences. In a better more compact team, the players will make less errors.

The question is not, did the players make errors? The question is, why did they make such errors. I am telling you it is the set up.

Google links on Pellegrini defending his four four two system while at Manchester City. Reporters, Journalist and pundits described Pellegrini as Naive when he blamed the players for the poor performances in Europe.

When Pellegrini changed the system, the team improved. It was suicidal playing a 4-4-2 system against a compact German side.

It seems Coach Siasia did not learn from that defeat.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by goldfish80(m): 12:08am On Aug 20, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

If I ever thought Sadiq Umar is ready for the National team, will I continue referring him as an amateur?

As I said, you are making things up.
Emmanuel Daniel (7) : Cannot be blamed for the two goals conceded by the Nigerian team. The Germans would have scored more if not for his crucial saves. Should improve his positioning.
Abdullahi Shehu (5) : Was caught out several times by the German strikers. Was unable to read the game and did not know when to overlap or stay back to defend.
William Troost-Ekong(cool : Ekong was poor in Nigeria’s first game in Rio but has been one of the best players as the competition progressed. Worked like a horse, looked solid and dominated the defense.
Sincere Seth (5) : Struggled as the fullbacks. Has no international quality. Saturday would have been a better option.
Stanley Amuzie (4) : I’d say the best position to play Amuzie at this tournament was as left winger, especially with Madu also making the squad. Did not offer anything in all the games he featured, defensively. Played too high up the pitch, will not be happy watching a replay of his wasted free kick in the 81st minute.
Ndifreke Effiong (4) : A big task for the local lad to step into the shoes of Okechukwu. Failed the test. Lacks international quality and it’s strange how he made the 18-man squad in the first place.
Usman Mohammed (6) : Poor boy. Was only going to struggle due to the absence of Okechukwu. Did not shield the backline as expected.
Aminu Umar (5) : Has always played well for the Nigerian teams but was not at his best against the Germans.
John Obi Mikel (7) : Excellent going forward., with good dribbling skills. Had a good chance to equalize in the first half. When he was not with the ball, he lost his way. Poor decision making to allow Amuzie take the free kick in the closing minutes.
Sadiq Umar (2) : The worst performance by a Nigerian player at any level I have witnessed in the last 30 years. Wasted a good opportunity in the first half, was nervous throughout the game, had no physical presence. One should question the coaching abilities of Siasia, seeing him on the pitch for more than an hour.
Imoh Ezekiel (6) : The former Standard Liege young star has been Nigeria’s most hardworking player in Brazil. If he can add goals to his game at international level, sky’s the limit. Well done Imoh!
Substitutes
Junior Ajayi (4) : An unfit Junior Ajayi had more physical presence than Umar when he was introduced. Could not put his imprint on the game due to his match rustiness.
Saliu Popoola (3) : Was running aimlessly after he came on. Failed to launch attacks. But one thing you can’t take away from him is that he has excellent public relation skills.

http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=20124

That is allnigeriasoccer.com assessment of Sadiq on the night 2/10. I find it quite perplexing how much you have gone out of your way to defend him over the past few days. It's quite astonishing to be honest.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:16am On Aug 20, 2016
goldfish80:

Emmanuel Daniel (7) : Cannot be blamed for the two goals conceded by the Nigerian team. The Germans would have scored more if not for his crucial saves. Should improve his positioning.
Abdullahi Shehu (5) : Was caught out several times by the German strikers. Was unable to read the game and did not know when to overlap or stay back to defend.
William Troost-Ekong(cool : Ekong was poor in Nigeria’s first game in Rio but has been one of the best players as the competition progressed. Worked like a horse, looked solid and dominated the defense.
Sincere Seth (5) : Struggled as the fullbacks. Has no international quality. Saturday would have been a better option.
Stanley Amuzie (4) : I’d say the best position to play Amuzie at this tournament was as left winger, especially with Madu also making the squad. Did not offer anything in all the games he featured, defensively. Played too high up the pitch, will not be happy watching a replay of his wasted free kick in the 81st minute.
Ndifreke Effiong (4) : A big task for the local lad to step into the shoes of Okechukwu. Failed the test. Lacks international quality and it’s strange how he made the 18-man squad in the first place.
Usman Mohammed (6) : Poor boy. Was only going to struggle due to the absence of Okechukwu. Did not shield the backline as expected.
Aminu Umar (5) : Has always played well for the Nigerian teams but was not at his best against the Germans.
John Obi Mikel (7) : Excellent going forward., with good dribbling skills. Had a good chance to equalize in the first half. When he was not with the ball, he lost his way. Poor decision making to allow Amuzie take the free kick in the closing minutes.
Sadiq Umar (2) : The worst performance by a Nigerian player at any level I have witnessed in the last 30 years. Wasted a good opportunity in the first half, was nervous throughout the game, had no physical presence. One should question the coaching abilities of Siasia, seeing him on the pitch for more than an hour.
Imoh Ezekiel (6) : The former Standard Liege young star has been Nigeria’s most hardworking player in Brazil. If he can add goals to his game at international level, sky’s the limit. Well done Imoh!
Substitutes
Junior Ajayi (4) : An unfit Junior Ajayi had more physical presence than Umar when he was introduced. Could not put his imprint on the game due to his match rustiness.
Saliu Popoola (3) : Was running aimlessly after he came on. Failed to launch attacks. But one thing you can’t take away from him is that he has excellent public relation skills.

http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=20124

That is allnigeriasoccer.com assessment of Sadiq on the night 2/10. I find it quite perplexing how much you have gone out of tour way to defend him over the past few days quite astonishing to be honest.

I guess you are new here, throwing those ratings at me. I disagree with some of them on many occasions.

Just like the way Amuzie received loads of criticism in the Egypt vs Nigeria game in Kaduna. The pundit rated him as the worst and I totally disagreed.

The pundit there did not take into fact that Sadiq was up against two German Defenders who performed well and read Sadiq's moves. The Analyst did not even write about the pressing and running Sadiq did. Which was maybe the most intense after Amuzie.

He talks about Ajayi having more physical presence. He is older and stronger but, Ajayi did not perform better than Sadiq. The writer did not say that but rated Ajayi higher. Is that not ridiculous?

So, this analyst expected Coach Siasia to change Sadiq for a player who was weaker and as the author said match rusty.

Verdict:
Weak report

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by goldfish80(m): 12:22am On Aug 20, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

All these things we have seen before. I asked you before. Do you think Coach Siasia will blame his tactics?

I watched the games and saw all those incidences. In a better more compact team, the players will make less errors.

The question is not, did the players make errors? The question is, why did they make such errors. I am telling you it is the set up.

Google links on Pellegrini defending his four four two system while at Manchester City. Reporters, Journalist and pundits described Pellegrini as Naive when he blamed the players for the poor performances in Europe.

When Pellegrini changed the system, the team improved. It was suicidal playing a 4-4-2 system against a compact German side.

It seems Coach Siasia did not learn from that defeat.
Mentally the team was not ready to face the Germans. Repeated turn overs and failure to execute basic moves all through a game says a lot about the mentality of the team.

It's only in Africa where the roles of psychologist, nutritionist, physical trainers, sports scientists and video analysts are down played.

I will tell you a story, after the semifinals against Brazil at the Atlanta Olympics. Daniel Amokachi walked into the dinning hall with his head down probably reminiscing on something, Robson Okosun psychologist, ordered him to go back and walk into the hall like a champ. Everyone laughed and Daniel followed through instruction.
These little things matter. The football dished out by the dream team shows symptoms of a team who was not ready mentally to face their opponents.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by goldfish80(m): 12:29am On Aug 20, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I guess you are new here, throwing those ratings at me. I disagree with some of them on many occasions.

Just like the way Amuzie received loads of criticism in the Egypt vs Nigeria game in Kaduna. The pundit rated him as the worst and I totally disagreed.

The pundit there did not take into fact that Sadiq was up against two German Defenders who performed well and read Sadiq's moves. The Analyst did not even write about the pressing and running Sadiq did. Which was maybe the most intense after Amuzie.

He talks about Ajayi having more physical presence. He is older and stronger but, Ajayi did not perform better than Sadiq. The writer did not say that but rated Ajayi higher. Is that not ridiculous?

So, this analyst expected Coach Siasia to change Sadiq for a player who was weaker and as the author said match rusty.

Verdict:
Weak report
You cannot bury your head in the sand when a lot of people are pointing accusing finger at one particular person. The whole world cannot be wrong at the same time.

Does it not strike you that something was wrong if the coach pulled culled him out first when he needed a goal.
If not for injury, which coach will pull out his top striker when in search for a goal?

That alone should tell you something was wrong with his performance.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (333) (334) (335) (336) (337) (338) (339) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 175
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.