Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,386 members, 7,846,632 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 07:58 PM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (55) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (702065 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 12:26pm On Sep 21, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
US U23s call up 2 Nigerians
[/size]

Alashe has been called up by US U23s for Rio qualifiers
Nigerians Fatai Alashe and Omogbolahan "Gboly" Ariyibi have been called by USA U23 team for the 2015 CONCACAF Olympic qualifying championship.
Alashe (San Jose Earthquakes) and Ariyibi (Chesterfield, England) are in the 20-man squad released by coach Andi Herzog.
The USA will look to clinch a spot in the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
The US are drawn in Group A and open with a pair of games at Sporting Park in Kansas City, Kansas, against Canada on October 1.
Defending Olympic gold medalists Mexico are joined in Group B by Costa Rica, Haiti and Honduras.
The top two teams from each group will advance to the tournament semifinals.
Winners of the semifinal games will advance to the final and clinch spots in the Olympics.
The winners of the third-place game will qualify for a one-game playoff against Colombia in the final opportunity for an Olympic spot.
The US hope to return to the Olympics for the first time since the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, China.
[/b]

africanfootball.com//news/569217/US-U23s-call-up-2-Nigerians

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:59pm On Sep 21, 2015
[b]Buhari Congratulates Team Nigeria

President’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mr Garba Shehu
Tobi Soniyi in Abuja
President Muhammad Buhari has expressed his appreciation of the performance of Team Nigeria at the All Africa Games just concluded in Congo Brazzaville.
He urged the athletes, who came second on the overall medals table, to make Nigeria proud by constantly improving on their performance.
In a press statement issued on Sunday in Abuja by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mr Garba Shehu, the president said he was impressed with the performance of Nigeriaan athletes at the continental event, and that he was not in doubt about their zeal and determination to make Nigeria great.
The statement said the president expressed joy at the performance of the various teams that made up Team Nigeria adding that they all made Nigeria proud.[/b]
www.thisdaylive.com/articles/buhari-congratulates-team-nigeria/220749/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:02pm On Sep 21, 2015
Ibe will regret shunning Nigeria – Fashanu
By Allwell Okpi

Jordon Ibe
Former Aston Villa forward John Fashanu has expressed his disappointment over the decision of Liverpool winger, Jordon Ibe, to play for England instead of Nigeria.
Fashanu, who played for England, told our correspondent on Sunday that Ibe would regret shunning Nigeria later in his football career.
Last week, the 19-year-old Ibe, who has played for England at the U-18, U-19, U-20 and U-21 levels, confirmed his decision to play for England at the senior level instead of Nigeria, even though he was approached by Nigeria coach Sunday Oliseh.
Speaking from his experience, Fashanu, who won two caps for England, said Ibe would likely get only a few caps for the English senior team, whereas with Nigeria, he has a chance to play international football for a much longer period.
Fashanu said, “It is disappointing that Ibe chose England instead of Nigeria. In my own case, I decided to come to Nigeria to have trials. I came three times when Brazilian coach, Otto Gloria, was in charge. I wanted to play for Nigeria. I know how let down I felt when I wasn’t selected, even though I put Nigeria first. We have been advising many dual nationality players to play for their fatherland.
“What will happen is that England will give Ibe two or three opportunities and they will discard him. So it is a case of him learning from his own experiences. At the moment, the Nigeria Football Federation seems to be settling now and getting more organised now. I thought that the new developments in our football would have spurred Ibe on to decide to come and play for Nigeria.
“If he didn’t succeed, then he could go and play for England. Everybody may be a bit disappointed but at the end of the day, it is his choice. He knows what he wants but I think later on in life, he will regret this decision to opt forEngland instead of Nigeria.”
The former Norwich City player praised Oliseh, describing him as “a good manager,” who is young, “dynamic and flexible in his approach.”
The 1988 FA Cup winner (with Wimbledon) added that Ibe had a good chance to do well if he had decided to play for Nigeria under Oliseh.
Meanwhile, Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has praised Ibe for his performance against Bordeaux in the Europa League last week. The Reds fought hard to get result as the game ended 1-1 in France.
“If you take those two, Jordon Ibe who is 19, Joe Gomez who is 18, there was great encouragement for the young players and supporters,” Rodgers told Independent.
“As the game wore on, they combined with the other players and I thought they acquitted themselves well.
“I was so proud of them. I will always give the young players an opportunity if they have the personality.”
www.punchng.com/sports/ibe-will-regret-shunning-nigeria-fashanu/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:07pm On Sep 21, 2015
Can Spurs snatch Iheanacho from Man City?

Kelechi Iheanacho - Can Spurs snatch him from Manchester City?

Tottenham Hotspur are planning an audacious bid for Kelechi Iheanacho, but Manchester City are also fighting to keep the highly-rated Nigeria starlet and have opened talks to extend his contract, which runs out in 2018.
According to the Sun of England, Spurs have been alerted to the contract situation of Iheanacho and would very much want to add to their growing pool of exciting youngsters led by another Nigerian-born ace Dele Alli.
Spurs hope that the lure of regular first-team football will be too tempting for Iheanacho to turn down.
But it was further gathered that City have now moved swiftly to fend off these interests by opening new contract talks with the representatives of the emerging Nigeria star.
Iheanacho, 18, hogged the headlines after his match-winning heroics at Crystal Palace recently and reports suggest Spurs and several clubs from abroad are interested in the forward, who is behind Sergio Aguero and Wilfried Bony in the pecking order at the Ittihad.
africanfootball.com//news/569473/Can-Spurs-snatch-Iheanacho-from-Man-City
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:09pm On Sep 21, 2015
Shehu vows to grab Eagles second chance

Shehu Abdullahi - Delighted with Eagles second chance

Uniao de Madeira player Shehu Abdullahi has told AfricanFootball.com he hopes to take his latest Eagles call-up with both hands.
The former Kano Pillars ace said he wants to makes his invitation to count after his debut against Mexico in the USA last year.
"My first cap was against Mexico in USA," Shehu told AfricanFootball.com
"So, I feel so happy with another invitation to Super Eagles. I have been waiting for this opportunity, now that I have it, I will take it with both hands.
The former Plateau United star could play as a defensive midfielder or at right back.
He won Emirs Cup and Super Cup in 2014/2015 season.
He featured for Nigeria at the 2013 FIFA U20 World Cup and the 2014 CHAN, but missed out on the recent All Africa Games football event in Congo Brazzaville because his Portuguese club did not release him.
africanfootball.com/news/569231/Shehu-vows-to-grab-Eagles-second-chance

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:31pm On Sep 21, 2015
Iheanacho should not consider leaving Man City. There is a plan for him to grow in the club. A long project which I feel have progressed nicely.

Pellegrini operates a slim squad. So Nacho will get playing time especially with other games like the FA Cup, Carling Cup and Champions League. Going to Tottenham will mean Nacho playing under unfamiliar circumstances unlike City where he has played in a similar style among the age levels of the club.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:37pm On Sep 21, 2015
[b]I will like to update the City fans on the development I noticed with the team.

For a long time since Fernandinho and Negredo, we have not signed players who could challenge the first team players of Man City. But, in the West Ham game, I noticed that De Bruyne and Otamendi are super additions to the team. I see Mangala losing his place to Otamendi because Otamendi's performance against West Ham is one of the best performance I have seen from a defender. Nasri or Sterling will have to drop to accommodate De Bruyne because the young man is pure class.

Nacho did not score or threaten because he is now known. As soon as Nacho came in, Collins a defender came in to mark Nacho. That shows that coaches see the potential in Nacho. Also Nacho played a more wide role on the wing to run in to support the attack. This was because Aguero and Bony were on the field.

With time Nacho will get his chance and I see him becoming the second striker in City very soon.

Even though we did not win, we played very well and that shows our good form will continue.
Come On You Citizens.[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 1:51pm On Sep 21, 2015
Personally, I think Kelechi did not make any difference in the West Ham for three reasons:

1. Not much time was afforded him to play. Pellegrini should work on his substitutions. He takes too much time to make them to affect games.

2. He was drifted out on the wide left. He only got balls and released them. He didnt move with the ball. I guess that was the coaches' instruction to him.

3. There were already Aguero and Bony on the field so he really didnt get fed well. If he had been closer to the goal, he might have just done some magic.

Observation: Mangala is too little brain. Navas is wash. I would prefer Roberts in his place.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 2:38pm On Sep 21, 2015
TheGoodJoe:
Iheanacho should not consider leaving Man City. There is a plan for him to grow in the club. A long project which I feel have progressed nicely.

Pellegrini operates a slim squad. So Nacho will get playing time especially with other games like the FA Cup, Carling Cup and Champions League. Going to Tottenham will mean Nacho playing under unfamiliar circumstances unlike City where he has played in a similar style among the age levels of the club.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:01pm On Sep 21, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Classic. T'ham should go and fish out their own young stars and develop them into superstars and leave Nacho with Pellegrini. They can as well come to Nigeria where so many Nachos abound. Afterall KI is also from Naija.
Besides, was it not this same club that frustrated THEOPHILUS SOLOMON, who at some point was even rated above all the U-17 Strikers? Only Manu Garba knew while this guy didn't make his list.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:14pm On Sep 21, 2015
Hahahahahahahahaaha......... The defender for leave am na make he cause damage within the limited time him get.

So Epl defenders are beginning to take notice huh? Let them calm down coz by the time Nacho start getting "martial's kind of minutes on the field" they go know say Another "beastly talent" don land for real and will keep getting beta.....

Nice analysis, Sir GoodJoe...... Really enjoyed it. But who do u prefer to give way btwn nasri and sterling?

Anyway I hope Nacho gets plenty minutes against sunderland tomorrow.

And could Tottenham's interest be for real? Boyyyy! Our kid is really drawing some attention but I sstrongly suggest he remains at Man city..... For the time being to continue his development and continue building on Pellegrini's and the other coaches' belief in him.

He can make it to the very top at man city and of course you agree with it coz you know better than I do. All the best Nacho..... Keep on keeping on.

But hey! Musa yahaya, dele alli, bentaleb, ryan mason are at Tottenham....... Such fine young talents. OF COURSE NONE OF THEM PLAYS NACHO'S ROLE. And they still want Nacho? Pochettino and his staff like sweet things too much....... Let them first give Yahaya his chance....... *smiles*

TheGoodJoe:
[b]I will like to update the City fans on the development I noticed with the team.

For a long time since Fernandinho and Negredo, we have not signed players who could challenge the first team players of Man City. But, in the West Ham game, I noticed that De Bruyne and Otamendi are super additions to the team. I see Mangala losing his place to Otamendi because Otamendi's performance against West Ham is one of the best performance I have seen from a defender. Nasri or Sterling will have to drop to accommodate De Bruyne because the young man is pure class.

Nacho did not score or threaten because he is now known. As soon as Nacho came in, Collins a defender came in to mark Nacho. That shows that coaches see the potential in Nacho. Also Nacho played a more wide role on the wing to run in to support the attack. This was because Aguero and Bony were on the field.

With time Nacho will get his chance and I see him becoming the second striker in City very soon.

Even though we did not win, we played very well and that shows our good form will continue.
Come On You Citizens.[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:30pm On Sep 21, 2015
Hey Sir....... Good to see you are back. Being among the first Nlers I met in the sports section after I left SL10.ng due to their demise, I think saying " Sir, where have u been, I missed ur comments and analysis......" are in order.

Good to see you are back among the house's top news updaters despite your obviously tight schedule.

Kudos to y'all, Joseph 1013 (the lead Updater), Terzurum5, And Orkpekyandega. Despite ur schedules in the "offline world" you guys still keep things going online. God bless y'all......

Orkpekyandega:
Can Spurs snatch Iheanacho from Man City?

Kelechi Iheanacho - Can Spurs snatch him from Manchester City?

Tottenham Hotspur are planning an audacious bid for Kelechi Iheanacho, but Manchester City are also fighting to keep the highly-rated Nigeria starlet and have opened talks to extend his contract, which runs out in 2018.
According to the Sun of England, Spurs have been alerted to the contract situation of Iheanacho and would very much want to add to their growing pool of exciting youngsters led by another Nigerian-born ace Dele Alli.
Spurs hope that the lure of regular first-team football will be too tempting for Iheanacho to turn down.
But it was further gathered that City have now moved swiftly to fend off these interests by opening new contract talks with the representatives of the emerging Nigeria star.
Iheanacho, 18, hogged the headlines after his match-winning heroics at Crystal Palace recently and reports suggest Spurs and several clubs from abroad are interested in the forward, who is behind Sergio Aguero and Wilfried Bony in the pecking order at the Ittihad.
africanfootball.com//news/569473/Can-Spurs-snatch-Iheanacho-from-Man-City

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:22pm On Sep 21, 2015
I will take Nasri. One reason is because he is one who can create more. Sterling might have the speed and tricks but the intelligence of Nasri surpasses all that.

Nasri works in a similar pattern like Silva. Holding the ball and creating spaces. Sterling might have the runs but he does not have those killer passes to unlock defence.

As for the defensive change by Bilic to send a defender to stop Nacho. That was brilliant but I believe Nacho would have been unstoppable if he lead the attack.

Waiting for Nacho to get more playing time.

TheSuperNerd:
Hahahahahahahahaaha......... The defender for leave am na make he cause damage within the limited time him get.

So Epl defenders are beginning to take notice huh? Let them calm down coz by the time Nacho start getting "martial's kind of minutes on the field" they go know say Another "beastly talent" don land for real and will keep getting beta.....

Nice analysis, Sir GoodJoe...... Really enjoyed it. But who do u prefer to give way btwn nasri and sterling?

Anyway I hope Nacho gets plenty minutes against sunderland tomorrow.

And could Tottenham's interest be for real? Boyyyy! Our kid is really drawing some attention but I sstrongly suggest he remains at Man city..... For the time being to continue his development and continue building on Pellegrini's and the other coaches' belief in him.

He can make it to the very top at man city and of course you agree with it coz you know better than I do. All the best Nacho..... Keep on keeping on.

But hey! Musa yahaya, dele alli, bentaleb, ryan mason are at Tottenham....... Such fine young talents. OF COURSE NONE OF THEM PLAYS NACHO'S ROLE. And they still want Nacho? Pochettino and his staff like sweet things too much....... Let them first give Yahaya his chance....... *smiles*

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:30pm On Sep 21, 2015
joseph1013:
Personally, I think Kelechi did not make any difference in the West Ham for three reasons:

1. Not much time was afforded him to play. Pellegrini should work on his substitutions. He takes too much time to make them to affect games.

2. He was drifted out on the wide left. He only got balls and released them. He didnt move with the ball. I guess that was the coaches' instruction to him.

3. There were already Aguero and Bony on the field so he really didnt get fed well. If he had been closer to the goal, he might have just done some magic.

Observation: Mangala is too little brain. Navas is wash. I would prefer Roberts in his place.

The youngsters like Roberts, Maffeo, Barker and Nacho will get their chances. These guys should know Man City is ready to spend big to keep the talents in the club top notch. They should train hard and keep their mind prepared because their chances will come and they should get ready to take it.

They should convinced the management they are good enough.

Concerning Pellegrini's changes, he is the kind of man who believes most of the work is done before the game. He does not believe you can do much to alter the result. For instance in that match, most of the changes he made did not affect the team tactically. He just rotated the positions of players. Sterling for Bony, Aguero take Bony's role and Bony take Aguero's role. Those kind of changes.

He also believes personnel does not affect the match. He looks for who has worked the most and brings in a fresher leg. That is why he changes late. He still believes in the players and system on the pitch.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by safarigirl(f): 4:32pm On Sep 21, 2015
Tottenham? No be there Yahaya go? How far with that one? And dem wan add another player? They should manage Son first. That being said, this one that Aguero and Bony have been misfiring, Pelle should take a chance and start Kelechi against Sunderland, if he does nothing after 50 minutes, take him off
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:35pm On Sep 21, 2015
I can not wait to see Nasri, De Bruyne, Silva, Yaya, Fernandinho playing with Nacho in front of them. Walahi that would be wicked and Nacho will get loads of chances to show his potential.

I hope Nwakali Chidiebere is watching Otamendi. That is why Pellegrini sent him to Malaga to work with the coaches he set up there. If Nwakali is to make it at City, he should get ready to play as good as Otamendi or even better. Nothing less.

Iheanacho is not there because of preference but because, he is showing signs that he is better than the former Netherlands player of the year.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:38pm On Sep 21, 2015
safarigirl:
Tottenham? No be there Yahaya go? How far with that one? And dem wan add another player? They should manage Son first. That being said, this one that Aguero and Bony have been misfiring, Pelle should take a chance and start Kelechi against Sunderland, if he does nothing after 50 minutes, take him off

I think both strikers are unfit but Pellegrini want them to heal on the field. It works for Pels but I do not like it. Do not worry. There is no way Nacho will not get enough time because there are only three strikers at the club.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by safarigirl(f): 4:43pm On Sep 21, 2015
joseph1013:

thank you! Thegoodjoe and supernerd have been talking about Nasri and Sterling forgetting there's a wash called Navas on the first team, even Kompany can take Navas' role. If Silva hadn't had that injury on matchday against West Ham, we wouldn't have seen Navas for at least 60 mins

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:49pm On Sep 21, 2015
safarigirl:
thank you! Thegoodjoe and supernerd have been talking about Nasri and Sterling forgetting there's a wash called Navas on the first team, even Kompany can take Navas' role. If Silva hadn't had that injury on matchday against West Ham, we wouldn't have seen Navas for at least 60 mins

Actually, I think the problem there is Zabaletta's injury. Navas can take on players and get down the line. Normally, he holds it for Zab to come in and cross. Unfortunately, Sagna is terrible at crossing and so is Navas. I think that place will either be taken by Nasri or maybe, Sterling might perform better there since he is right footed and plays better operating from the right.

Do not worry, there are loads of tacticians at the Etihad and this problem with Navas will be sorted out. Maybe Pellegrini will try Maffeo against Sunderland. Maybe he will be better than Sagna.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:09pm On Sep 21, 2015
Well that's exactly why we don't wanna waste our words on him Safarihoney....... *smiles*

Navas is a liability. I would pick Ahmed Musa over Navas anytime anyday...... Seriously. Unto better matters abeg....... *smiles*

safarigirl:
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:09pm On Sep 21, 2015
TheSuperNerd:
Hey Sir....... Good to see you are back. Being among the first Nlers I met in the sports section after I left SL10.ng due to their demise, I think saying " Sir, where have u been, I missed ur comments and analysis......" are in order.

Good to see you are back among the house's top news updaters despite your obviously tight schedule.

Kudos to y'all, Joseph 1013 (the lead Updater), Terzurum5, And Orkpekyandega. Despite ur schedules in the "offline world" you guys still keep things going online. God bless y'all......

I am in order sir, am good. Am always happy to visit my fovourite section on NL.
I have been around and I always follow up issues on this thread but as an ananimous. I just can't help it but you know, sign in this time around. Thanks.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:46pm On Sep 21, 2015
'England will only use and dump Jordon Ibe' – Rafiu Ladipo

The Nigeria Football Supporters Club boss believes the midfielder's decision to represent the Three Lions at the international level will come back to haunt himEXCLUSIVEByShina Oludare Follow on Twitter
Jordon Ibe will live to regret his decision to choose England ahead of Nigeria, says President of the Nigeria football and other sports supporters club, Rafiu Ladipo.
The debate over the Liverpool’s rookie international future came to an end after the Super Eagles coach, Sunday Oliseh confirmed that the 19-year-old has chosen to represent the Three Lions.
According to Ladipo, the English senior has nothing to offer Ibe and feels the player should have taken a leaf out of the likes of John Fashanu and Gabriel Agbonlahor who failed to make it with the European team.
“It’s rather unfortunate that Ibe has chosen not to play for his fatherland instead another country. The truth is that England will only use and dump him,” Ladipo toldGoal.
“We have had many experience in the past when Nigerians and Africans were lured to play for them, and the moment they hand them one or two caps, they are done, so I think it would be a good idea for him to change his mind and represent Nigeria.
“I believe he has more to gain and many years to play for Nigeria rather than England. Since he has chosen to play for the [Three Lions], I wish him the best of luck but I know too well that very soon, he will be done.
He pointed out that attention should be focused on the Nigerian league to discover great players rather than rely on foreign groomed stars who would always turn down the country.
“If we have good materials abroad, there is nothing bad approaching them but if they turn us down, talents abound in Nigeria and we can make use of what we have,” he continued.
“Football is played by a team and not an individual. If we can focus our attention on players from our league, the better for us else we will keep seeing our foreign groomed talents snub us.
“[John] Fashanu,[Gabriel] Agbonlahor and [Patrick] Owomoyela have all learnt their lessons the bitter way. Which of them played international football for three years? None.
“I think it is a bad decision on their path and they are dearly paying for it. For me, I would like to advice Nigerians abroad to think twice before choosing to represent any foreign country,” he concluded.
m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/4093/nigeria/2015/09/21/15592392/england-will-only-use-and-dump-jordon-ibe-rafiu-ladipo

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by AIG07: 8:01pm On Sep 21, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

I'll also want him to stay put @city to develop himself before GUARDIOLA comes to turn him into a finish goods-if d rumours is anything to go by.. Patience is the key!.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 8:22pm On Sep 21, 2015
I wonder why there's so much noise about Ibe shunning Nigeria. Free the guy abeg. Have we finished using the talents we have?

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 9:05pm On Sep 21, 2015
terzurum5:
[b][size=14pt]
US U23s call up 2 Nigerians
[/size]

Alashe has been called up by US U23s for Rio qualifiers
Nigerians Fatai Alashe and Omogbolahan "Gboly" Ariyibi have been called by USA U23 team for the 2015 CONCACAF Olympic qualifying championship.
Alashe (San Jose Earthquakes) and Ariyibi (Chesterfield, England) are in the 20-man squad released by coach Andi Herzog.
The USA will look to clinch a spot in the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
The US are drawn in Group A and open with a pair of games at Sporting Park in Kansas City, Kansas, against Canada on October 1.
Defending Olympic gold medalists Mexico are joined in Group B by Costa Rica, Haiti and Honduras.
The top two teams from each group will advance to the tournament semifinals.
Winners of the semifinal games will advance to the final and clinch spots in the Olympics.
The winners of the third-place game will qualify for a one-game playoff against Colombia in the final opportunity for an Olympic spot.
The US hope to return to the Olympics for the first time since the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, China.
[/b]

africanfootball.com//news/569217/US-U23s-call-up-2-Nigerians

Omogbolahan grin How an Americana go yake pronounce this one o. Well if they can pronounce Agbonlahor them go pronounce this one too.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 9:15pm On Sep 21, 2015
safarigirl:

Yahaya is yet to clock 18 & so no professional contract yet. He trains with dU19 team. There is another Nigerian called Dele Alli at Tottenham (19yrs old).

ManCity needs to win at all cost against Sunderland so Iheanacho cannot start that match. No room for gamble as Manu are jst 2 pts behind.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 9:20pm On Sep 21, 2015
joseph1013:

4. Kelechi Iheanacho is not there yet.He is still work in progress. U guys are expecting too much from him.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Danycrusoe(m): 9:27pm On Sep 21, 2015
Icon4s:

Yahaya is yet to clock 18 & so no professional contract yet. He trains with dU19 team. There is another Nigerian called Dele Alli at Tottenham (19yrs old).

ManCity needs to win at all cost against Sunderland so Iheanacho cannot start that match. No room for gamble as Manu are jst 2 pts behind.
Sir The Match Is A Cup Game. Capital One Cup Round 3. So I Expect Him To Start
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:39pm On Sep 21, 2015
Expecting too much? Well, I see ur point. Nacho got great potentials but I wouldn't expect him to bang in goals in every game or not have a 'bad game' sometimes now....... Would I?

There are people in Nigeria and here on NL who obviously expects much from this kid even at this stage of his development.... But caution must be applied wisely while not losing view of his awesome abilities as such a young age in the round leather game.

Of course he's not there yet, He's still developing into the finished article and even when he reaches that level, he would keep improving. Improvements is constant even for Messi and C. Ronaldo.

But on the whole, I know Iheanacho can handle the pressure and expectations. Godspeed to him.......

*smiles*

Icon4s:

4. Kelechi Iheanacho is not there yet.He is still work in progress. U guys are expecting too much from him.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:44pm On Sep 21, 2015
Na wa o! Abeg na Capital one cup game o. Haba! ! ! "Cannot start......" Not even 'may not start'........ Here goes the pessimism again Sir. Even if it were a league game, you can't say for sure.

The Epl can be full of surprises you know...... *smiles*

Icon4s:

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:01pm On Sep 21, 2015
Icon4s:

How can he not be there? Aguero did not score, I guess he is not there. Sterling did not score, I guess he is not there. Please. Michael Owen was seventeen when he started scoring for fun in the EPL. Martial is nineteen and he is making the EPL look easy.

Nacho is up to the task if not he would not be on the bench for City. Get it again, Pellegrini chose not to replace Dzeko because of Nacho. You do not get that statement. Dzeko is one of the best strikers in the world. He left and Pellegrini trusted Nacho to replace. That is enough to calm your pessimistic writing.

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.