Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,941 members, 7,814,182 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? (5309 Views)

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? / Conditions That Can Make Me Reconvert To Christianity And Belief In God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by davien(m): 1:12am On Oct 18, 2014
asalimpo:
Earth formed from the acretion disc of the sun.
You were not there yet believe it.
Therefore the earth and life is all physcal.
The conditions can be recreated today, with modern tech,so y can't science re-create physcal life?
So i need to observe something to confirm it?... undecided
Evidences are accumulated to determine events that happened in the past.....much like collecting evidences in a crime scene to determine the events that occurred....
Using your logic.....did you observe being given birth to?....so how do you know who your parents truly are..... undecided
The origin of life is a mystery.....so how do you want scientists to create something they know little about? undecided
say for the sake of argument they did know how to create life instead of modifying it..would that make desert tales anymore false than it already is... cheesy

I'm a jjc wen it comes to science so i wouldnt b able to venture into deep debate. Notwithstandg the truth is simple. Science cannot present a coherent logical answer about the origin of the earth or life - it's all conjecture and heavily debated in d scientific community.

The formation of the earth is well understood and everything in science is debated....the origin of life isn't well understood.....simple smiley
And saying "since science can't come up with an answer" therefore "god-did-it" is not an argument for the proof of anything.... just an argument from ignorance...
just like....lets say if science didn't know how lightning formed.....is that a reason to believe a claim that a God like zeus was up in the sky throwing lightning bolts because it was angry? undecided

The bible is clear about how earth came to be.
A Being of infinite intelligence created it. Period.
[b]
This very comment here proves my topic....how a belief in sky monsters kills the sense of wonder and inquiry in the universe....how old are you by the way?
In what way is a hocus pocus earth created like a magic trick perfectly understood? shocked
And is it the same creation story where there are days without a sun or the earth being the same age as the universe?
sorry asalimpo your mythical tales crumble in the light of evidence....it is evident by the amount of erroneous claims you've made just to try to debunk them and the use of silly excuses like "science doesn't know A....but my fairy book claims to know therefore it is correct"....that is just ridiculous undecided

Imagine you wanted to buy a car but the salesman told you nothing about the car only that it could drive……is that all the information you need to know it is road worthy?! undecided ………no,by doubting the claim you can ask the salesman to give you substantial information before driving a car that might end up to be a death trap...apply this to your religion.....
you are trying to sell your religion even though the evidence shows it to be overwhelmingly wrong.....what stops you from being regarded as dishonest in light of my salesman' example? [/b]

It some places it gives some details. Like the present earth was re-created. Meaning the first one was destroyed - wen? During the war that ousted lucifer out of heaven.
Again, the bible doesnt go into details at all - just a hint.
wow....besides the unvalidated claims.....with the full knowledge of the contradictory qualities and overpowering might of the alleged being called "god" with what hope in challenging this and succeeding did "lucifer" have?..,oh and with what knowledge did anyone know how to fight wars if no such knowledge existed nor weapons? undecided
and why is it that you are content with self-contradictory undetailed claims and then appalled by science saying it doesn't know how life began? undecided

Mathematics is based on truth, physics uses mathematical tools.
But the bible is based on truth also, but it shows that truths have scopes . E.g jesus walked on water,
impossible physically , but it happened. Y? Because, physcal truth was subjugated by a higher power.
math isn't based on "truth" per say but rather symbols that can be represented through models in a certain number of ways to form predictable patterns and conjectures i.e proofs that may be applied to the real world....
And we hardly even know if "jesus" ever existed talk less of defying surface tension of water tongue

Jesus rose to heaven,physcally, impossible physcally, the force of gravity shudve kept him earth bound. But no, it couldnt, physcal truth was subjugated.
i doubt you understand that truth implies no deviation....so how can something which has no deviation be subjugated....another paradox perhaps? undecided

Over and over , the bible shows tht physcal truths and laws can b over-ridden.
You atheists mock at it and call it myth! But the truth is it's you guyz and science that is deficient and bankrupt . Having some catching up to do.
Please get your verbatim right...the bible "shows" nothing...it just claims......the same way a story book claims santa claus is real...
And it is hypocrisy at its highest order to be sending vast amounts of information non-physically through the application of science and then ridicule it for giving you facts that upset you....
and boyyo pi is a round number according to the bible...is that the "catching up" science needs to do? undecided

AND WHAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN SO FAR IS JUST A CELEBRATION OF WILLFUL IGNORANCE....

SMH! sad

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by LordReed(m): 10:46am On Oct 18, 2014
davien:
I just want to know......do theists feel captivated by the chaotic beauty of the stars or the beauty in birth.....or does a "god-did-it" glass filter this sense of wonder and inquiry? undecided

That is what some atheists would have everyone believe. My sense of wonder and imagination is not diminished by one bit.
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by davien(m): 11:38am On Oct 18, 2014
LordReed:

That is what some atheists would have everyone believe. My sense of wonder and imagination is not diminished by one bit.
Your fellow theist have proved my point below

asalimpo

The bible is clear about how earth came to be.
A Being of infinite intelligence created it. Period.

does the above post tell of one filled with wonder and inquiry or a shallow mind?... undecided
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by asalimpo(m): 11:46am On Oct 18, 2014
davien:

does the above post tell of one filled with wonder and inquiry or a shallow mind?... undecided

how does knowing that the earth and creation is a master piece work of a deliberate being diminish One's sense of appreciation?
How?
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by davien(m): 11:56am On Oct 18, 2014
asalimpo:

how does knowing that the earth and creation is a master piece work of a deliberate being diminish One's sense of appreciation?
How?
before i give you a reply.....tell me how you "know" the earth is a "masterpiece of a deliberate being" and how you can tell everything is created with how biblical 2000 year old tales tie in to your deductions that you make use of and why it is relevant
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by LordReed(m): 12:10pm On Oct 18, 2014
davien:

Are there no scientists that believe in God? I for one I'm entranced by many things in our universe I find fascinating.
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by davien(m): 12:26pm On Oct 18, 2014
LordReed:

Are there no scientists that believe in God? I for one I'm entranced by many things in our universe I find fascinating.
yes....and when it comes to wonder and inquiry.... "god" is tagged to it....thus minimizing the wonder under an assumed "god-did-it" conclusion... so how can you be truly amazed about anything when you have concluded before hand that you know how...why and even what is responsible just by employing 2000 year old myths and legends?! undecided
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by LordReed(m): 12:41pm On Oct 18, 2014
davien:
yes....and when it comes to wonder and inquiry.... "god" is tagged to it....thus minimizing the wonder under an assumed "god-did-it" conclusion... so how can you be truly amazed about anything when you have concluded before hand that you know how...why and even what is responsible just by employing 2000 year old myths and legends?! undecided

So the fact that people know who made a roller coaster ride makes it less thrilling? It does not detract from the experience neither does believing that God made the stars make the mechanism of solar power any less awesome.
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by davien(m): 12:59pm On Oct 18, 2014
LordReed:

So the fact that people know who made a roller coaster ride makes it less thrilling? It does not detract from the experience neither does believing that God made the stars make the mechanism of solar power any less awesome.
lol....i'm glad you gave a rollercoaster analogy...
now lets say i take you to one....before boarding you start claiming ridiculous tales about it being wished into existence by a wizard....i merely laugh it off...but you don't stop there....you keep telling me where you think the rollercoaster would go without even yet boarding it....we finally do board it and you keep distracting the experience by loud mouthing tales of magic and contradictory stories regarding where its going.... we finally stop and get off... how much wonder would i have had when you kept spewing garbage that didn't make sense?! undecided

how can you be bewildered by wonder when you claim to know everything.... can't prove it but expect everyone else to follow suit in your bias? undecided

1 Like

Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by LordReed(m): 1:16pm On Oct 18, 2014
davien:
lol....i'm glad you gave a rollercoaster analogy...
now lets say i take you to one....before boarding you start claiming ridiculous tales about it being wished into existence by a wizard....i merely laugh it off...but you don't stop there....you keep telling me where you think the rollercoaster would go without even yet boarding it....we finally do board it and you keep distracting the experience by loud mouthing tales of magic and contradictory stories regarding where its going.... we finally stop and get off... how much wonder would i have had when you kept spewing garbage that didn't make sense?! undecided

how can you be bewildered by wonder when you claim to know everything.... can't prove it but expect everyone else to follow suit in your bias? undecided

No one is stopping you from investigating how the rollercoaster works, it is open to discovery, you're only creating an imaginary boogey man of being forced to believe. Rollercoaster rides bring about all sorts of reactions including people screaming, people praying, people puking, etc. still doesn't stop those who enjoy it from getting back on and having fun.
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by davien(m): 1:28pm On Oct 18, 2014
LordReed:

No one is stopping you from investigating how the rollercoaster works, it is open to discovery, you're only creating an imaginary boogey man of being forced to believe. Rollercoaster rides bring about all sorts of reactions including people screaming, people praying, people puking, etc. still doesn't stop those who enjoy it from getting back on and having fun.
lol....how can i experience those reactions when a person(theist) claims to know it all and enforces that claim publicly to me ...can't prove it but keeps spewing it as true and then expect me to follow suit... undecided
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by LordReed(m): 1:41pm On Oct 18, 2014
davien:
lol....how can i experience those reactions when a person(theist) claims to know it all and enforces that claim publicly to me ...can't prove it but keeps spewing it as true and then expect me to follow suit... undecided

Are theists stopping you from buying a telescope? or a Microscope? Going to school? Reading books? What dimension does this forced belief in God take?
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by davien(m): 1:52pm On Oct 18, 2014
LordReed:

Are theists stopping you from buying a telescope? or a Microscope? Going to school? Reading books? What dimension does this forced belief in God take?
No....but when you are observing a distant galaxy they put on their "god-did-it hats" and start spewing their favorite tales or as the case of ken ham...tell you to never bother looking at the stars....that "god's word" is the only star to look at undecided ………or in the case of a microscope...instead of unravelling the mysteries of the krebs cycle performed by the mitochondrion...you are inhibited by "teach the controversy campaign" by theists because it involves evolution undecided or because they believe in "intelligent design" they lobby for a domain in microbiology undecided ………… and when going to school they'll rather want all kids to be educated on their "creationism" or rather enforce their beliefs on inquisitive kids...and you live in a society so any belief you take affects the society undecided

1 Like

Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by LordReed(m): 1:55pm On Oct 18, 2014
davien:
No....but when you are observing a distant galaxy they put on their "god-did-it hats" and start spewing their favorite tales or as the case of ken ham...tell you to never bother looking at the stars....that "god's word" is the only star to look at undecided ………or in the case of a microscope...instead of unravelling the mysteries of the krebs cycle performed by the mitochondrion...you are inhibited by "teach the controversy campaign" by theists because it involves evolution undecided or because they believe in "intelligent design" they lobby for a domain in microbiology undecided ………… and when going to school they'll rather want all kids to be educated on their "creationism" or rather enforce their beliefs on inquisitive kids...and you live in a society so any belief you take affects the society undecided

So when you are in your house stargazing someone comes to shout in your ear or does the person stand in front of your telescope?
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by asalimpo(m): 3:27pm On Oct 18, 2014
davien:

first, i don't know where a-theists get this twisted idea,that The bible or God is against intellectual enquiry. First, it is a search, an enquiry not a creation.
No scientists creates new truth,they only discover wat has been there,that God made.
God gave man a thinking mind and head, God also created man in his image. Giving man, the in born capacity to imagine and work on actualizing his imagination.

But of course like all things created for good, knowledge can b used for evil purposes. I know discrediting God is topmost agenda but get ur facts straight.
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by asalimpo(m): 3:42pm On Oct 18, 2014
davien:
before i give you a reply.....tell me how you "know" the earth is a "masterpiece of a deliberate being" and how you can tell everything is created with how biblical 2000 year old tales tie in to your deductions that you make use of and why it is relevant

a biblical book of over 2000 years means it is obsolete? Correct ur thinking.
A book narrating the history of creation, the old testament, God's dealing with His people in the old covenant. The new Covenant, the nature of the it, rights and priviledges in it, rules for christian living and a prophecy on how d world is going to end.
Now,which of the subjects of d bible are ephemeral?
Is it a book of science or fashion where changes and adjustments with new discoveries is the norm?
Matter of fact, the bible is about man his relationship to God, God's plan and man's history from a spiritual perspective.
None of this is temporary.
Som of d english will b changed as languages change but the essense is timeless.

Again, there is no logic in such replies. Just emotional reactions.
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by asalimpo(m): 4:04pm On Oct 18, 2014
davien:

So i need to observe something to confirm it?... undecided
Evidences are accumulated to determine events that happened in the past.....much like collecting evidences in a crime scene to determine the events that occurred....
Using your logic.....did you observe being given birth to?....so how do you know who your parents truly are..... undecided
The origin of life is a mystery.....so how do you want scientists to create something they know little about? undecided
say for the sake of argument they did know how to create life instead of modifying it..would that make desert tales anymore false than it already is... cheesy

The formation of the earth is well understood and everything in science is debated....the origin of life isn't well understood.....simple smiley
And saying "since science can't come up with an answer" therefore "god-did-it" is not an argument for the proof of anything.... just an argument from ignorance...
just like....lets say if science didn't know how lightning formed.....is that a reason to believe a claim that a God like zeus was up in the sky throwing lightning bolts because it was angry? undecided

[b]
This very comment here proves my topic....how a belief in sky monsters kills the sense of wonder and inquiry in the universe....how old are you by the way?
In what way is a hocus pocus earth created like a magic trick perfectly understood? shocked
And is it the same creation story where there are days without a sun or the earth being the same age as the universe?
sorry asalimpo your mythical tales crumble in the light of evidence....it is evident by the amount of erroneous claims you've made just to try to debunk them and the use of silly excuses like "science doesn't know A....but my fairy book claims to know therefore it is correct"....that is just ridiculous undecided

Imagine you wanted to buy a car but the salesman told you nothing about the car only that it could drive……is that all the information you need to know it is road worthy?! undecided ………no,by doubting the claim you can ask the salesman to give you substantial information before driving a car that might end up to be a death trap...apply this to your religion.....
you are trying to sell your religion even though the evidence shows it to be overwhelmingly wrong.....what stops you from being regarded as dishonest in light of my salesman' example? [/b]

wow....besides the unvalidated claims.....with the full knowledge of the contradictory qualities and overpowering might of the alleged being called "god" with what hope in challenging this and succeeding did "lucifer" have?..,oh and with what knowledge did anyone know how to fight wars if no such knowledge existed nor weapons? undecided
and why is it that you are content with self-contradictory undetailed claims and then appalled by science saying it doesn't know how life began? undecided

math isn't based on "truth" per say but rather symbols that can be represented through models in a certain number of ways to form predictable patterns and conjectures i.e proofs that may be applied to the real world....
And we hardly even know if "jesus" ever existed talk less of defying surface tension of water tongue

i doubt you understand that truth implies no deviation....so how can something which has no deviation be subjugated....another paradox perhaps? undecided

Please get your verbatim right...the bible "shows" nothing...it just claims......the same way a story book claims santa claus is real...
And it is hypocrisy at its highest order to be sending vast amounts of information non-physically through the application of science and then ridicule it for giving you facts that upset you....
and boyyo pi is a round number according to the bible...is that the "catching up" science needs to do? undecided

AND WHAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN SO FAR IS JUST A CELEBRATION OF WILLFUL IGNORANCE....

SMH! sad

there's not one single instance of the bible giving a scientifcally wrong assertion.
The pi,ur talkg about, please giv scripture to backup ur claim.

"So i need to observe something to confirm it"?
As a materialist and atheist. Yes.
because this is the yard stick,you use in debunking the bible and christianity- the five senses criteria.
Otherwise, your arguments fall flat in too many ways. You practice believg without physcal proof, but try to ridicule christians for believing God's word without proof.
That's hypocrisy.

"Evidence are accumulated to determine past events ... "
in matters of creation, beginning of the world science has only been able to make conjectures.
Many of these conjectures could turn out to be wrong or may need amendment later on.
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by asalimpo(m): 4:06pm On Oct 18, 2014
When archiologist excavate a site to to learn about the people tht once lived there, wat they get from sifting sand, and dating elements can only paint a calculated conjecture. There will still b pockets of error/ignorance in their reports. A more authentic report would b a documented eye-witness account of a person who lived there @ that time.

"Did you observe being given birth to ... "
no. I took my parents at words.
I couldnt hav observed this.
Likewise, the nature of som bible truths.
Man cudnt hav observed creation of the world - He takes God's word for it.
Physcal man cannot percieve the spirit realm - He takes God's word for it.
If you, practice som form of this principle then you are being unobjective ridiculing the bible on it.
When u go to a bank with an "insured by NDIC" logo. Dyu, ask for further proof from the cashier bf u deposit ur money or you take the bank's word for it without further questioning?

"Life is a mystery ... "
in other words, Science doesnt know how it began.
The collective secular knowledge of man, cannot point out how life began.
If science is lost about the origin of life,then how much does it not know?
Wat qualifies it to debunk the bible on creation? Logically,none.

First,logically speakg,it's impossible for materiality of any mass to hav occured on it's own . Out of nothing.
Padding, nothing by saying there were pre existent particles is a cop out.
Also, matter, non-living matter doesnt generate,multiply or increase. Only living things do.
Any honest person knows these questions cannot b answered with available scientific knowledge.
The bible insinuates the answer to these . It hints that the Holy spirit is responsible for the manifestation of all legitimate life forms. A human being is a spirit, his dynamism comes from being a spirit. Autogeneration,cell mutation are all possible from a spiritual essence. That's y Adam was nothing but clay, until his clay body recieved a spirit.
That's y scientists cannot mix all the elements constituting d human body or any other organism and create another organism. They can't. They can clone but not create from scratch.
How this interplay occurs isn't expanded on in the bible.

Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by davien(m): 4:24pm On Oct 18, 2014
asalimpo:

a biblical book of over 2000 years means it is obsolete? Correct ur thinking.
asalimpo please read before quickly replying....how are 2000 year old claims relevant to you was the last question..

A book narrating the history of creation, the old testament, God's dealing with His people in the old covenant. The new Covenant, the nature of the it, rights and priviledges in it, rules for christian living and a prophecy on how d world is going to end.
again....let me remind you....the bible is the claim....not the evidence....just like a spiderman comic is the claim not the evidence of spiderman………and its funny how reality itself contradicts you on your "rules for christian living" because there is a great confusion among most of the 41,000 denominations that claim to be christian....from self service to no self seevice to venerating mary to not venerating mary etc undecided

Now,which of the subjects of d bible are ephemeral?
Is it a book of science or fashion where changes and adjustments with new discoveries is the norm?
That is why it is termed dogma....

Matter of fact, the bible is about man his relationship to God, God's plan and man's history from a spiritual perspective.
really? tell me if this sounds right to you....i make a cup of tea....then i throw it out for tasting like tea undecided ....reference this to the the mythological creature called "god" in the bible.....it keeps doing stu.pid and contradictory things in the bible...

None of this is temporary.
Som of d english will b changed as languages change but the essense is timeless.
i agree....the evil intent of the bible never changes...from slavery to incest to thought crime to killing "witches" and "homosexuals" to killing babies... no amount of cherry coating will hide those evil intents... sad

Again, there is no logic in such replies. Just emotional reactions.
on point there as regarding religion....emotional garbage... smiley

1 Like

Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by asalimpo(m): 5:15pm On Oct 18, 2014
davien:
asalimpo please read before quickly replying....how are 2000 year old claims relevant to you was the last question..

again....let me remind you....the bible is the claim....not the evidence....just like a spiderman comic is the claim not the evidence of spiderman………and its funny how reality itself contradicts you on your "rules for christian living" because there is a great confusion among most of the 41,000 denominations that claim to be christian....from self service to no self seevice to venerating mary to not venerating mary etc undecided
That is why it is termed dogma....

really? tell me if this sounds right to you....i make a cup of tea....then i throw it out for tasting like tea undecided ....reference this to the the mythological creature called "god" in the bible.....it keeps doing stu.pid and contradictory things in the bible...

i agree....the evil intent of the bible never changes...from slavery to incest to thought crime to killing "witches" and "homosexuals" to killing babies... no amount of cherry coating will hide those evil intents... sad

on point there as regarding religion....emotional garbage... smiley

you're skirtg issues.
First, do all principles get obsolete with time?
If so wat is the shelf life of a life principle and in this case a spiritual principle?
Was the bible more relevant in its 10th year?
Wat of in it's first 100yrs?

Your unworded assumption is wrong.

As for the so many denominations in christianity - how is God responsible for that?
God is not the author of confusion.
They are many reason for wrong doctrine ranging from illiteracy,ignorance, self-will,and half baked understandg of the scriptures. The bible stance is clear on many issues but man wants his way.
Aladuras , go bare footed because Moses was told to take off his shoes in the OT- did the bible say tht?
Catholics pray through mary even when the bible says prayer is to in Jesus name. That christians shud approach God personally etc.
Was the bible instruction on these thing complex to the catholic?

You know better than to raise this as a point.

"Evil intents of the bible"
- your pattern is soundg familiar. Leaving the realm of logc into blind mud slinging.
Evil like, "be fruitful and multiply"
,"Casting all your care upon Him for He cares for you",
"you are more more than conquerors through Christ",
"Be anxious for nothing but in everything through prayer and supplication make your request known unto Him" etc.
Those verses sound evil?

Provide evidence that pi is 3 in d bible.
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by davien(m): 5:18pm On Oct 18, 2014
asalimpo:

there's not one single instance of the bible giving a scientifcally wrong assertion.
The pi,ur talkg about, please giv scripture to backup ur claim.
wow! cheesy you really don't open your bible..lol smiley
why not open 1st Kings, 7:23....take a pen and paper and sit comfortably...then read the verse below
" The sea was then cast; it was made with a circular rim, and
measured ten cubits across, five in height, and thirty in
circumference."
it is the part about the tank being ten cubits
across and thirty in circumference.
Every secondary school technical drawing student}
knows that the circumference of a circle divided by its diameter gives
you pi. In this case, we have a circumference of 30 and a diameter of
that implies that pi equals three. But, actually, pi doesn't equal
three. cheesy lmao!..

"So i need to observe something to confirm it"?
As a materialist and atheist. Yes.
nope...and whether you tag me as "materialist" or "atheist" you missed the point in my statement....things that cannot be observed can be re-traced using evidences or would you say crime scene investigators should give up trying to figure out crimes and use your re.tarded thinking? undecided

because this is the yard stick,you use in debunking the bible and christianity- the five senses criteria.
Otherwise, your arguments fall flat in too many ways. You practice believg without physcal proof, but try to ridicule christians for believing God's word without proof.
There is a reason we call them senses...anything said to exist should atleast be in the range that we can either use these senses to detect....or is it not visually reading the bible you knew about the existence of "god's word"...eitherway if something interacts with the physical world we know then it can be observed either through well constructed experiments...the senses or logical or mathematical conjecturea(like black-holes) smiley

That's hypocrisy.
i knew you momentarily lied but come on asalimpo....how low can you go to keep believing in talking snakes?! quote my offense...to prove it...otherwise you are just throwing claims as usual

"Evidence are accumulated to determine past events ... "
in matters of creation, beginning of the world science has only been able to make conjectures.
Many of these conjectures could turn out to be wrong or may need amendment later on.
so you mean general relativity...keplers laws...accretion...plate tectonics...and other planetary mechanics that are well substantiated facts and have always occured as predicted in light of observations could be wrong you do realise if they are wrong....it would mean planets....space and other exotic bodies do not exist right? undecided
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by davien(m): 5:58pm On Oct 18, 2014
asalimpo:
When archiologist excavate a site to to learn about the people tht once lived there, wat they get from sifting sand, and dating elements can only paint a calculated conjecture. There will still b pockets of error/ignorance in their reports. A more authentic report would b a documented eye-witness account of a person who lived there @ that time.
lol....you do know eye witness testimonies do not exist atall for your bible nor "jesus" and even if they did it....it wouldn't make any extra-ordinary claims true....even if one verse of the bible is true...it doesn't mean the whole bible is true....and eye witness testimony that goes against an irrefutable evidence is not taken seriously....

"Did you observe being given birth to ... "
no. I took my parents at words.
I couldnt hav observed this.
Likewise, the nature of som bible truths.
lol....so the bible is reliable because the bible said so?....circular logic cheesy

Man cudnt hav observed creation of the world - He takes God's word for it.
Physcal man cannot percieve the spirit realm - He takes God's word for it.
If you, practice som form of this principle then you are being unobjective ridiculing the bible on it.
it is the claim that is under question and why you believe it... why is the koran not "god's word" or account to you...

When u go to a bank with an "insured by NDIC" logo. Dyu, ask for further proof from the cashier bf u deposit ur money or you take the bank's word for it without further questioning?
yes i ask for a verification message to be sent to my phone and prompt my personal accountant to verify my money having been sent...

"Life is a mystery ... "
in other words, Science doesnt know how it began.
The collective secular knowledge of man, cannot point out how life began.
If science is lost about the origin of life,then how much does it not know?
Wat qualifies it to debunk the bible on creation? Logically,none.
it knows enough to land a man on the moon give amputees limbs back...and the sense of feeling...allow you to talk to me right now non-physically...

science never claims to know to everything....religion e.g christianity does yet it doesn't know anything....it just claims to know things...the same way a bat is a bird in the bible...according to "god"

First,logically speakg,it's impossible for materiality of any mass to hav occured on it's own . Out of nothing.
it is very possible upon interaction with the higgs field....discovered not too long away tongue
if you were learned on scientific matters you'd know that questions like those have been solved...

Padding, nothing by saying there were pre existent particles is a cop out.
Also, matter, non-living matter doesnt generate,multiply or increase. Only living things do.
expatiate on what you mean

Any honest person knows these questions cannot b answered with available scientific knowledge.
didn't i just answer one "cannot be answered" question?

The bible insinuates the answer to these .
its good you finally used the right words....it claims and insinuates but doesn't answer anything....just shifts the question....

It hints that the Holy spirit is responsible for the manifestation of all legitimate life forms. A human being is a spirit, his dynamism comes from being a spirit. Autogeneration,cell mutation are all possible from a spiritual essence. That's y Adam was nothing but clay, until his clay body recieved a spirit.
your fellow christians of the "church of christ" denomination would disagree with you using the same bible...

That's y scientists cannot mix all the elements constituting d human body or any other organism and create another organism. They can't. They can clone but not create from scratch.
How this interplay occurs isn't expanded on in the bible.

They have done this i.e created a new organism by mixing synthetic dna...plaetton even created a thread on this....
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by davien(m): 6:00pm On Oct 18, 2014
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by asalimpo(m): 6:02pm On Oct 18, 2014
davien:
wow! cheesy you really don't open your bible..lol smiley
why not open 1st Kings, 7:23....take a pen and paper and sit comfortably...then read the verse below
" The sea was then cast; it was made with a circular rim, and
measured ten cubits across, five in height, and thirty in
circumference."
it is the part about the tank being ten cubits
across and thirty in circumference.
Every secondary school technical drawing student}
knows that the circumference of a circle divided by its diameter gives
you pi. In this case, we have a circumference of 30 and a diameter of
that implies that pi equals three. But, actually, pi doesn't equal
three. cheesy lmao!..

nope...and whether you tag me as "materialist" or "atheist" you missed the point in my statement....things that cannot be observed can be re-traced using evidences or would you say crime scene investigators should give up trying to figure out crimes and use your re.tarded thinking? undecided

There is a reason we call them senses...anything said to exist should atleast be in the range that we can either use these senses to detect....or is it not visually reading the bible you knew about the existence of "god's word"...eitherway if something interacts with the physical world we know then it can be observed either through well constructed experiments...the senses or logical or mathematical conjecturea(like black-holes) smiley
i knew you momentarily lied but come on asalimpo....how low can you go to keep believing in talking snakes?! quote my offense...to prove it...otherwise you are just throwing claims as usual

so you mean general relativity...keplers laws...accretion...plate tectonics...and other planetary mechanics that are well substantiated facts and have always occured as predicted in light of observations could be wrong you do realise if they are wrong....it would mean planets....space and other exotic bodies do not exist right? undecided

okay,i'll research kings.
But wait, pi is a symbolic constant that was introduced by the babylonians. That verse said - it measured (details follow ). It is not a dictate or claim-which is wat your tryg to say. It is a report.
The tank had this dimensions . Either it had it or it didnt. That is not a dictate of wat pi is or a how it is to be derived.
Two, pi, it is known is an approximation, at the time of the writing that approximation could hav been 3 - because they were not as mathematically advanced or sophisticated as we are today.
In the OT, joshua, asked God to make the sun stand still, was his assumption correct? No! But the bible doesnt report God's viewpoint but a true narration of the events that occured!
It is very plausible that crafts men of the time in question were using far more imprecise instruments than we are using today. But this only proves the honesty of the bible. It is not a garnished book.

As for ur materialistic point of view - reality is detectable through the five senses - the bible says something else.
That the spirit realm/world is the instigator of the material world.
You and science stance that all of reality is materialistic is the genesis of why you will never get religion.
Infact, science - wouldnt want to formally accept the existence of anoda dimension because that would open to many pandora boxes.
The materialistic viewpoint is just a position not a fact.
Like i said the spiritual realm and its existence is substantiated everyday - provg tht there exists such a realm- but you atheists dont wish or even want to objectively consider the claims - because of the implications.
Attempting to shoe horn all phenomena into a materialistic view is an act of denial.

The spiritual world isnt perceptible to the five senses. So how can God communicate to people about it? By getting it documented in a book.
Those who believe it can explore more on the subject.
But they are those who operate in the spirit realm without God's sanction.
Mystics,occultists, witches etc.
Public opinion doesnt affect the truth. Truth doesnt need to b fancy. There is a spirit realm and you are a spirit being, whether you like it or feel like it or not.

As fpr talkg snakes,talkg assez, walkg on water etc. I believe it 101% because i know we arent talkg of phenomena in d sense/logic realm.
God parted the red sea, a nation walked thru it. Even using todays technology,you know that's impossible. But that's in the sesnse realm. Not in wen a spiritual being is in operation.
The demoniac in the NT was bound with chains but would break the chains . This is impossible from a materialistc/logical perspectve.
But his problem wasnt just mental, he was given supernatural strenght by the demons inhabitg him. How cud a materialistic approach help him? It cudnt. The root was spiritual,and thats hoe his problem was addressed at the spiritual root - the demons were banished and he was immediately restored to his right mind.
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by davien(m): 6:33pm On Oct 18, 2014
asalimpo:

you're skirtg issues.
First, do all principles get obsolete with time?
If so wat is the shelf life of a life principle and in this case a spiritual principle?
Was the bible more relevant in its 10th year?
Wat of in it's first 100yrs?

Your unworded assumption is wrong.
whoa! shocked never did i make such a claim asalimpo....i can see now that your desperation has reached new heights...i said how are 2000 year old myths relevant to you...answer the question and stop hiding behind straw-men undecided

As for the so many denominations in christianity - how is God responsible for that?
God is not the author of confusion.
are you sure....because its "god's word" that caused the 41,000 denominations allegedly

They are many reason for wrong doctrine ranging from illiteracy,ignorance,

self-will,and half baked understandg of the scriptures. The bible stance is clear on many issues but man wants his way.
cool so how do you know you have the right one after i keep showing you errors in the bible and contradictions and you keep "having your way"...

Aladuras , go bare footed because Moses was told to take off his shoes in the OT- did the bible say tht?
Catholics pray through mary even when the bible says prayer is to in Jesus name. That christians shud approach God personally etc.
Was the bible instruction on these thing complex to the catholic?
you tell me.....your contradictory book is the root of it all

You know better than to raise this as a point.
lol.... smiley i'm merely pointing out the evil acts of the body...

"Evil intents of the bible"
- your pattern is soundg familiar. Leaving the realm of logc into blind mud slinging.
Evil like, "be fruitful and multiply"
,"Casting all your care upon Him for He cares for you",
"you are more more than conquerors through Christ",
"Be anxious for nothing but in everything through prayer and supplication make your request known unto Him" etc.
Those verses sound evil?

Provide evidence that pi is 3 in d bible.
i did give you the page where your "god" gave the numbers as 3.... dumb "god" smiley lmao!
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by asalimpo(m): 6:55pm On Oct 18, 2014
davien:
lol....you do know eye witness testimonies do not exist atall for your bible nor "jesus" and even if they did it....it wouldn't make any extra-ordinary claims true....even if one verse of the bible is true...it doesn't mean the whole bible is true....and eye witness testimony that goes against an irrefutable evidence is not taken seriously....

lol....so the bible is reliable because the bible said so?....circular logic cheesy
it is the claim that is under question and why you believe it... why is the koran not "god's word" or account to you...

yes i ask for a verification message to be sent to my phone and prompt my personal accountant to verify my money having been sent...

it knows enough to land a man on the moon give amputees limbs back...and the sense of feeling...allow you to talk to me right now non-physically...

science never claims to know to everything....religion e.g christianity does yet it doesn't know anything....it just claims to know things...the same way a bat is a bird in the bible...according to "god"

it is very possible upon interaction with the higgs field....discovered not too long away tongue
if you were learned on scientific matters you'd know that questions like those have been solved...

its good you finally used the right words....it claims and insinuates but doesn't answer anything....just shifts the question....

your fellow christians of the "church of christ" denomination would disagree with you using the same bible...

They have done this i.e created a new organism by mixing synthetic dna...plaetton even created a thread on this....

eye witnesses existed at the time the final canons of the bible were being composed but you know it was millenia ago.
Eye witness accounts would not carry more weight than God's word.
The bible is reliable because it first and foremost the inspired word of God.
You either accept this or not. The koran is'nt the inspired word of God.
They're other bases but they don't fall in importance to the first stand.
Again, the issue boils down to materiality over spirit.
You say,not the bible, that a conclusive claim must b material. The bible doesnt take that stance.
Neither will it take that stance. God may prove himself to a person but so can the devil because the senses can b deceived . But God's word rightly interpreted is truth.

On the NDIC example, you dont do that. U accept many things based on belief tht the spoken/written assertion is tru.
You do this on a lot of matters. You accept a word. Based on the weight and authority of the issuer.
Faith in God and his word is similar. because Human beings were created with a capacity to believe first.

Science knows enuff. Yeah,it's come a long way.
But it still operates in the materialisic/sense realm. That doesnt qualify it to make sweeping statements about the scope of reality.
The bible states that there is a spirit world.
You and science are not qualified or in a position to counter this claim.
No logic you've put up can negate the bibles position.
But in ur ego u want to arbitrate on this matter even to extent of disputing in the existence of God using the tool of science.

"possible with the higgs field, discovered not too long ago "

okay. Science is still conjecturing.
So, the higgs field will create new materiality outta nathing.
Like wen oil fields run dry, it cud b manipulated to create new oil-if thats needed.
Like i said science is still searchg.

Any book about God has to address these questions squarely.
Assuming the Higgs field created materiality outta nothing.
The question then looms,
1.) the constituent property of a thing wud be "nothing". Then materiality can b deconverted into partial or complete "nothing".
If the higgs field creates materiality from "nothing" and "nothing" (by watever definition we settle on ) isnt an integral property of the by product. Then it means it was removed in d creation process. Then it begins to seem like randomness has a mind.

The question begs anoda question, the higgs is a thing(a type of materiality) hence it created anoda materiality- but it cannot create new mass.
Even in atomic/nuclear reaction new mass isnt created. Energy is constant neither created nor destroyed. If new mass is created then new energy has entered the system.
I'm not a scientist but this is common knowledge.

The bible speaks on a narrow timeless subject. It is not an all purpose book.
I'v said this bf. So correct your misconception on the scope of the bible.
If you want to perform a surgery, you dont open the bible for surgical instructions,
you consult the relevant text.
Christians know this.
Though the bible would command tht a christian do his best work and commit his endeavour to God bf strtg out.
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by asalimpo(m): 6:56pm On Oct 18, 2014
davien:

Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by asalimpo(m): 8:41pm On Oct 18, 2014
davien:
whoa! shocked never did i make such a claim asalimpo....i can see now that your desperation has reached new heights...i said how are 2000 year old myths relevant to you...answer the question and stop hiding behind straw-men undecided

are you sure....because its "god's word" that caused the 41,000 denominations allegedly

cool so how do you know you have the right one after i keep showing you errors in the bible and contradictions and you keep "having your way"...

i did give you the page where your "god" gave the numbers as 3.... dumb "god" smiley lmao!

smart atheist . Which approximation of pie wudve sufficed using that era's number system? 3.1,3.14,3.149 ... ?
Dyu u see the measuring instrument used - cubits - not centimetre or s.i units?
Hand spans which were inaccurate cuz they differed.
Besides tht account was a report.
Have u seen decimal measurements in d bible?
Like 11.5 feet.
99.99 sheckels?
You, have no case.

Age decays philosophies bro ?
The 2000 year age of d bible affects its relevance?
That's the reason for ur question.
So u answer it first.

The bible gives enough ansers to why there is disunity in the body.
You can research it.
And they cannot b tht large a number of denominations.
It's logically impossible. You are inflatg tht data. Dyu know what a denomination is?

Evil acts in d body?
The basis of atheism is tht there is no God, not really on his character.
Questions on the character of God is no more a proof of his non-existence. Trying to malign a person shows u believe in him. Two, it cripples ur atheistic thrust and watever logical justifcation u try to muster. If God is supposedly wicked, then the question is wat criteria stipulates how the true God shud be? How did you get this criteria. Wat makes ur criteria admissible, considering ur general short lifespan against the infinite,immemorial lifespan of the being you try to judge?

Fact is if u want to judge God uve not lived long enough to be qualified. Som decisions tht seem right to u and the world now, may look foolish many years later.
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by asalimpo(m): 8:42pm On Oct 18, 2014
davien:

Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by davien(m): 12:07am On Oct 19, 2014
asalimpo:

smart atheist . Which approximation of pie wudve sufficed using that era's number system? 3.1,3.14,3.149 ... ?
Dyu u see the measuring instrument used - cubits - not centimetre or s.i units?
Hand spans which were inaccurate cuz they differed.
Besides tht account was a report.
Have u seen decimal measurements in d bible?
Like 11.5 feet.
99.99 sheckels?
You, have no case.
lol smiley you are giving excuses after excuses…………from "hand spans" to "it was a report" and then claiming that decimals aren't used in the bible....

Age decays philosophies bro ?
The 2000 year age of d bible affects its relevance?
That's the reason for ur question.
So u answer it first.
now i believe its either you are re.tarded mentally or just avoiding my question.....i made no mention of "prophecy"....why are 2000 year old desert unvalidate-able tales relevant to you was the question... undecided

The bible gives enough ansers to why there is disunity in the body.
You can research it.
And they cannot b tht large a number of denominations.
It's logically impossible. You are inflatg tht data. Dyu know what a denomination is?
tell me those "answers" undecided and how is christianity having 41,000 denominations logically impossible?...did you bother fact checking me?...because i do not intend to spoon-feed you..

Evil acts in d body?
The basis of atheism is tht there is no God, not really on his character.
really so because i do not believe in "god" i can't talk about it?....how do these stu.pid notions come to you?.....because you don't believe in allah does that mean you can't talk about its alleged character?

Questions on the character of God is no more a proof of his non-existence.
really?....so contradictory paradoxes like a married bachelor is possible?....because by definition that is what a "space-less...time-less omnipresent...omnipotent...omniscient... all-good...merciful... just... god" is....a big contradiction of paradoxes....

Trying to malign a person shows u believe in him. Two, it cripples ur atheistic thrust and watever logical justifcation u try to muster.
how more stu.pid a statement can you make...."god" by definition is not a person....but a character in a book....and just like any other character can be critiqued...
Using your re.tarded thinking you trying to malign allah means you believe it exists

If God is supposedly wicked, then the question is wat criteria stipulates how the true God shud be?
your bible gives the criteria of what it should be.....reality goes against it....mercy and justice are two abstract things but your version of "god" is both merciful and just at the same time undecided space-less and omnipresent are two very contradictory terms... its like saying i am nowhere and everywhere at once undecided

How did you get this criteria. Wat makes ur criteria admissible, considering ur general short lifespan against the infinite,immemorial lifespan of the being you try to judge?
lol....your book gave the criteria and it is very well admissible when it has been the drivinh force of genocides like the crusade.....and the character in question whether infinitely living or not as alleged in the mythology inspired them...

Fact is if u want to judge God uve not lived long enough to be qualified.
"god" is a mythical character and as all....are judged by the character they portray in the mythology and the lives they influence in real life....needless to say...your pick of "god" is a racist homophobic tyrant smiley

Som decisions tht seem right to u and the world now, may look foolish many years later.

ways of life differ so it won't be surprising.....but how such a thing as "god" can be right is beyond me...a paradox by definition undecided
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by davien(m): 1:14am On Oct 19, 2014
asalimpo:

eye witnesses existed at the time the final canons of the bible were being composed but you know it was millenia ago.
Eye witness accounts would not carry more weight than God's word.
whether you call it "god's word" or cows word' so far as nobody references it as real nor having no valid historical document and rather talk about the myths of it and hear-say makes it a mythology tongue

The bible is reliable because it first and foremost the inspired word of God.
so "god" is real because the bible says so...and the bible is true because "god" claimed so in the bible?! how more re.tarded in thinking can you be?

You either accept this or not. The koran is'nt the inspired word of God.
rather i reject the option....you are enforcing a false dichotomy....go get educated on that tongue

They're other bases but they don't fall in importance to the first stand.
Again, the issue boils down to materiality over spirit.
what is a "spirit" and how do we detect it?

You say,not the bible, that a conclusive claim must b material. The bible doesnt take that stance.
i doubt i understand you here...rephrase please smiley

Neither will it take that stance. God may prove himself to a person but so can the devil because the senses can b deceived . But God's word rightly interpreted is truth.
so if the senses can deceive hoe do you trust them to give you "gods word" accurately?... how do you trust that what you see in the bible is truly "gods word"?

On the NDIC example, you dont do that. U accept many things based on belief tht the spoken/written assertion is tru.
a belief is a strong conviction without evidence...on your example i do have evidence of payment...i.could get a teller or an official transaction slip fax'd to me smiley

You do this on a lot of matters. You accept a word. Based on the weight and authority of the issuer
Faith in God and his word is similar. because Human beings were created with a capacity to believe first.
people don't give faith to people that is a stu.pid statement....rather people lend their trust to others based on the persons track-record....and in most cases not completely....doubts still remains tongue

Science knows enuff. Yeah,it's come a long way.
thank you for again proving the topic the second time... smiley

But it still operates in the materialisic/sense realm. That doesnt qualify it to make sweeping statements about the scope of reality.
science is the only methodology that works....it is literally on a class of its own when making falsify-able predictions about reality....
fasting and praying didn't land a man on the moon...science did

The bible states that there is a spirit world.
its good you know it asserts and states things ……whether they are true is the question smiley

You and science are not qualified or in a position to counter this claim.
No logic you've put up can negate the bibles position.
it is wonderful you now fully realize its a claim....and i do not need to put up any logic....the bible fails on its own logic and you telling me i have no right to question such a claim again proves the topic the third time

But in ur ego u want to arbitrate on this matter even to extent of disputing in the existence of God using the tool of science.
the claim of "god"....again try to understand...that its because of claim you think you know "god" exists not that it really was a fact smiley

okay. Science is still conjecturing.
So, the higgs field will create new materiality outta nathing.
Like wen oil fields run dry, it cud b manipulated to create new oil-if thats needed.
Like i said science is still searchg.
you dishonest cretin sad ....lying to prove your bias is now 100% i can see... below was your original question

asalimpo First,logically speakg,it's impossible for materiality of any mass
to hav occured on it's own . Out of nothing.
and i answered you saying

davien it is very possible upon interaction with the higgs field....discovered
not too long away
if you were learned on scientific matters you'd know that questions
like those have been solved...
i even have a wiki page to explain to you;

" The Higgs Field is an energy field that exists everywhere in the
universe. The field is accompanied by a fundamental particle called
the Higgs Boson , which the field uses to continuously interact with
other particles. As particles pass through the field they are "given"
mass, much as an object passing through treacle (or molasses ) will
become slower."

[url] http://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_field [/url[

Any book about God has to address these questions squarely.
Assuming the Higgs field created materiality outta nothing.
The question then looms,
1.) the constituent property of a thing wud be "nothing". Then materiality can b deconverted into partial or complete "nothing".
If the higgs field creates materiality from "nothing" and "nothing" (by watever definition we settle on ) isnt an integral property of the by product. Then it means it was removed in d creation process. Then it begins to seem like randomness has a mind.

The question begs anoda question, the higgs is a thing(a type of materiality) hence it created anoda materiality- but it cannot create new mass.
Even in atomic/nuclear reaction new mass isnt created. Energy is constant neither created nor destroyed. If new mass is created then new energy has entered the system.
I'm not a scientist but this is common knowledge.
congrats you sheepishly dishonestly said i claimed the higgs gives materials mass out of "nothing" when i said no such thing but that material can gain mass upon interaction with the higgs ......you then built an argument based on what i never implied..... a.k.a straw man undecided

The bible speaks on a narrow timeless subject. It is not an all purpose book.
I'v said this bf. So correct your misconception on the scope of the bible.
If you want to perform a surgery, you dont open the bible for surgical instructions,
you consult the relevant text.a
Christians know this.
really? are you sure christians do know this?! undecided because ken ham a bible believing christian has built an organisation and movement based on using the bible to answer biology...history... and everything else estimated at over $13 million dollars... all supported by Christians that you claim should know this undecided

Though the bible would command tht a christian do his best work and commit his endeavour to God bf strtg out.

Where is "christian" mentioned in the bible? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by Kay17: 1:36am On Oct 19, 2014
Elkewwty:
Who could have created the universe if not God? your dad angry undecided

It often taken as an unjustified given that the universe is a creation. An assumption theists try to force down everyone's throat. The question 'who created the universe' already assumes a sentient being behind the creation, the only answer required is the identity of the being.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chronicles Of The Greatness Of Olumba Olumba Obu / Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? / Lady Narrates How Pastor Adeboye's Church Impoverished Her Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 187
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.