Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,140 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:13 AM

Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) - Poems For Review (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) (18635 Views)

NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta / Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! / A Critique Of Poems Featured In Nairaland's "The Poets" Competition Season 2 (2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by GIYAZZ(m): 8:32pm On Oct 22, 2014
laykorn:

Let's patiently wait for OAM4U for the updates.
Ok *waiting*
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Rocktation(f): 9:16pm On Oct 22, 2014
Cool. Been a while I visited here.
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Nobody: 9:22pm On Oct 22, 2014
Rocktation:
Cool. Been a while I visited here.

Sq,got someone from Events.
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Jeanfortune(f): 2:53am On Oct 23, 2014
laykorn:
Can't we create threads in the General section of NL inviting to the competition?
good idea
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by AfricanApple(f): 7:13am On Oct 23, 2014
OMA4U:
of course, you're in.

We need publicity pls. This's going to be interesting if we can get people to participate.
register me
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by zyzxx(m): 12:46pm On Oct 23, 2014
#following
Tag Missmossy come and register
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by OMA4U(m): 8:59pm On Oct 23, 2014
ELIGIBILITY
1. Be a member of Nairaland
2. A participant must submit a poem of five lines (any theme), and above the poem should indicate a number (1, 2, 3 etc). This is the entry fee.
DEADLINE: Sunday 26-10-2014 Time: 6:00 pm

GUIDELINES
1. This is a collaborative poetry whereby two poets shall be paired together to write and submit a single poem of any theme.

2. The poem may be submitted by either of the poets, provided that every verse/stanza written shall have the name of the poet who writes that verse at the top of it.

3. At the end of the first round, ten (10) best poems shall be chosen for the second round and from which the best three (3) poems shall emerge the winners.

4. Our impeccable judges shall follow the outlines below to grade each poem:

i. Organization: Structure/Form of the poems; coherence/comprehension ( that is the ideas of the poem being presented as a whole; the meaning of the poem and how the meanings are being conveyed)
(20 marks)

ii. Poetic Devices/Dictions: The number and effectiveness of those devices that raise poetry beyond prose. Also, the poets' choice of words used to paint imagery and evoke emotions.
(20 marks)

iii. Content/Significance: Do the poems deal with human experience? To what extent has the poem changed or add to our understanding? The universal-tility of the poem: should the poem be translated to other languages, does it still apply to human's conditions?
(20 marks)

iv. Grammatical Accuracy: Well punctuated poems are more appreciated and can add to the cadence of a poem. Every word must be well spelt, except for the intentional use of MALAPROPISM.
(10 marks)

v. Theme/Analysis: Brief analysis of the poem will give better understanding of the poem and the analysis of how the poetic devices used help the poets to achieve their aims. This should come after the poem, NOT BEFORE.
(10 marks)

vi. Mood/Imagery: Can the readers feel the feelings? Does the poem evoke emotions? Does the poem lift spirits and/or suppress the readers to a different mood? (20 marks)

5. The competition begins:
First round: Saturday 01 - 11 - 2014; Time: 12:00 noon to 6:00 pm. Then, submission of scores will follow by the judges.
Second round: Sunday 02 - 11 - 2014; Time: Same time as the first round.

PRIZE
The ten best poems will automatically make it to our forthcoming Nairaland Anthology of Poems (Volume 1), while others are being screened. The anthology will be published in print as well as electronic and every qualified poet shall be reckoned with.

LET'S PROMOTE POETRY
We write to entertain, to rejoice and cry, to gasp and wonder, to share victories and defeats, pain and joy, to share love, life and death. We write to debate and discuss, to provoke and to questions the existence of things, to rebuke and probe. We write to address and proffer solutions to uprising in Nigeria, Africa, and the world at large.

Poets and poems that have inspired and lifted my spirit: Edgar Poe's Annabel Lee; William Shakespeare's sonnets, especially Sonnet 18 (Shall I compare thee to the summer's day? This poem lives in me) . Samuel Coleridge's Rime of an Ancient Mariner; John Fletcher's Upon a Honest Man's Fortune; Maya Angelou's I know why the caged bird sing and Still I Rise; Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken; John Donne's Death be not proud; Wole Soyinka's Telephone Conversation and Abiku; Jared Angira; Gabriel Okara; Lenrie Peters; Sola Owoniyi's Homeless not Hopeless; Niyi Osundare, J. P. Clark etc

All these poets have done great things with words and have also inspired the world. So we, the poets of this generation can also inspire the generations to come.

Great Nairaland Poets! Advocates of what pen can do
Thanks
OMA
Siggy:
My Silent loquacious pen speaks louder than my quiet lips; A drop of ink makes a mighty word

Any question? May I be of help in any way?

Tag: Philtrum, niftyrules, okwutency,
JigsawKillah, gottoboy, harddon, poeticjazco,
dtito, isaiahogodo, paulaok4, basille, krystalxxx,
richommie, Chuksemi, Texanomaly, divepen,
michaelok, giyazz, nickz, firestar, Bamibor,
osiawa, kagari, elvisosho, maxwellbaba,
tjkdzyanju, AmiableJay, lordidol, mrwhat

6 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by JigsawKillah(m): 9:03pm On Oct 23, 2014
SammyHoe:

Present sir!!!

Bros I don't see u on the EBIAG Planet nah! Why nah?

Bros Biko no mind me

#walks into my spaceship

Going there right away

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by HARDDON: 9:34pm On Oct 23, 2014
OMA4U:
Philtrum, niftyrules, okwutency, princesa, timpaker JigsawKillah, gottoboy, harddon, poeticjazco, dtito, isaiahogodo, paulaok4, basille, krystalxxx, richommie, Chuksemi, Texanomaly, divepen, michaelok, giyazz, nickz, firestar, Bamibor, osiawa, kagari, elvisosho, maxwellbaba, tjkdzyanju, AmiableJay, lordidol, mrwhat

A call to participation in the forthcoming collaborative poetry competition.

once again gladly
my pen sluggishly
i shall awake coyly
to the dance of this drum

my Quiet Quill
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by OMA4U(m): 10:52pm On Oct 23, 2014
HARDDON:

once again gladly
my pen sluggishly
i shall awake coyly
to the dance of this drum

my Quiet Quill

Is this your entry? If yes, endeavor to put a number pls
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by HARDDON: 11:00pm On Oct 23, 2014
OMA4U:

Is this your entry? If yes, endeavor to put a number pls

thou art but funny.......firestar? could you please break it down for him?
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Nobody: 11:01pm On Oct 23, 2014
I don't really get the number thing. Do I add just any number to make my intentions known?
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by JigsawKillah(m): 11:26pm On Oct 23, 2014
What number please?
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Nobody: 11:34pm On Oct 23, 2014
OMA4U:
ELIGIBILITY
1. Be a member of Nairaland
2. A participant must submit a poem of five lines (any theme), and above the poem should indicate a number (1, 2, 3 etc). This is the entry fee.
DEADLINE: Sunday 26-10-2014 Time: 6:00 pm

GUIDELINES
1. This is a collaborative poetry whereby two poets shall be paired together to write and submit a single poem of any theme.

2. The poem may be submitted by either of the poets, provided that every verse/stanza written shall have the name of the poet who writes that verse at the top of it.

3. At the end of the first round, ten (10) best poems shall be chosen for the second round and from which the best three (3) poems shall emerge the winners.

4. Our impeccable judges shall follow the outlines below to grade each poem:

i. Organization: Structure/Form of the poems; coherence/comprehension ( that is the ideas of the poem being presented as a whole; the meaning of the poem and how the meanings are being conveyed)
(20 marks)

ii. Poetic Devices/Dictions: The number and effectiveness of those devices that raise poetry beyond prose. Also, the poets' choice of words used to paint imagery and evoke emotions.
(20 marks)

iii. Content/Significance: Do the poems deal with human experience? To what extent has the poem changed or add to our understanding? The universal-tility of the poem: should the poem be translated to other languages, does it still apply to human's conditions?
(20 marks)

iv. Grammatical Accuracy: Well punctuated poems are more appreciated and can add to the cadence of a poem. Every word must be well spelt, except for the intentional use of MALAPROPISM.
(10 marks)

v. Theme/Analysis: Brief analysis of the poem will give better understanding of the poem and the analysis of how the poetic devices used help the poets to achieve their aims. This should come after the poem, NOT BEFORE.
(10 marks)

vi. Mood/Imagery: Can the readers feel the feelings? Does the poem evoke emotions? Does the poem lift spirits and/or suppress the readers to a different mood? (20 marks)

5. The competition begins:
First round: Saturday 01 - 11 - 2014; Time: 12:00 noon to 6:00 pm. Then, submission of scores will follow by the judges.
Second round: Sunday 02 - 11 - 2014; Time: Same time as the first round.

PRIZE
The ten best poems will automatically make it to our forthcoming Nairaland Anthology of Poems (Volume 1), while others are being screened. The anthology will be published in print as well as electronic and every qualified poet shall be reckoned with.

LET'S PROMOTE POETRY
We write to entertain, to rejoice and cry, to gasp and wonder, to share victories and defeats, pain and joy, to share love, life and death. We write to debate and discuss, to provoke and to questions the existence of things, to rebuke and probe. We write to address and proffer solutions to uprising in Nigeria, Africa, and the world at large.

Poets and poems that have inspired and lifted my spirit: Edgar Poe's Annabel Lee; William Shakespeare's sonnets, especially Sonnet 18 (Shall I compare thee to the summer's day? This poem lives in me) . Samuel Coleridge's Rime of an Ancient Mariner; John Fletcher's Upon a Honest Man's Fortune; Maya Angelou's I know why the caged bird sing and Still I Rise; Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken; John Donne's Death be not proud; Wole Soyinka's Telephone Conversation and Abiku; Jared Angira; Gabriel Okara; Lenrie Peters; Sola Owoniyi's Homeless not Hopeless; Niyi Osundare, J. P. Clark etc

All these poets have done great things with words and have also inspired the world. So we, the poets of this generation can also inspire the generations to come.

Great Nairaland Poets! Advocates of what pen can do
Thanks
OMA
Siggy:
My Silent loquacious pen speaks louder than my quiet lips; A drop of ink makes a mighty word

Any question? May I be of help in any way?

Tag: Philtrum, niftyrules, okwutency,
JigsawKillah, gottoboy, harddon, poeticjazco,
dtito, isaiahogodo, paulaok4, basille, krystalxxx,
richommie, Chuksemi, Texanomaly, divepen,
michaelok, giyazz, nickz, firestar, Bamibor,
osiawa, kagari, elvisosho, maxwellbaba,
tjkdzyanju, AmiableJay, lordidol, mrwhat

May I know who I've been paired up with please?
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Nobody: 11:50pm On Oct 23, 2014
THE MANE!!!

Does he have a name?
Good God, could he be tame?
What a horrendous reason for fame!

It was he, who made the hunter lame!
The terrible one with the mane!!!

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by princesa(f): 1:01am On Oct 24, 2014
Why aren't people picking a number yet?

By the way Oma4u, this promises to be fun.
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Royver(m): 1:08am On Oct 24, 2014
Sometimes reason needs an interpreter

Sometimes logic, a simple revealer

If i could, I would ask thee the inventer

To try and explain things a little better.

For what could be the use of a number

In a poem of such few letters?

I'm in, I dont understand the number thing though. I choose number 2.
Hello princesa.

6 Likes

Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Nobody: 5:52am On Oct 24, 2014
Hey royver, nice poem, I like your wit wink

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Nobody: 6:32am On Oct 24, 2014
WHERE IS MY PEN:
Where on earth is my diamond pen?
I used it last on Eve New Year.
When it had written me lines of swords and spears.
Come,come,you are sought here.
Where I feel the heat of a thousand poets.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by AD30LA: 7:37am On Oct 24, 2014
I can see this thread coming to live. OMA4U, you've done a great job... #Thumbs up# oops, I salivate as I anticipate interesting poems
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by princesa(f): 10:40am On Oct 24, 2014
hi royver, nice poem you got there.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by noble4d(m): 11:18am On Oct 24, 2014
Wow! Interesting...I'm glad that this thread is growing.Thumbs up OMA4U.

As for the poems I'm seeing, are they for the competition or you poet are just displaying your talents and dexterity?
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by OMA4U(m): 12:21pm On Oct 24, 2014
JigsawKillah:
What number please?
To qualify for the competition, each poet is to write a five-line poem and should include a number at the top of that poem. It's that number we're going to use to pair the poets together.

Thanks @ all who have shown a modicum of interest.
God bless you all.
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by lordthunderbolt(m): 1:49pm On Oct 24, 2014
When the roll call came I didn't see my name. ..let's come together create an anthology and sell it on e bay...serious am in check my works on poetry on www.thunderboltpearlz..com and you will be surprised I have more than 80 poetry.....keys do this or create a thread on whatsapp and them compile a d the best poems sold...let's do this am waiting for your answer my number is 08064447793 get me on whatsapp let's create the whatsapp thread now...add min of this thread do the needful
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by lordthunderbolt(m): 1:51pm On Oct 24, 2014
laykorn:
WHERE IS MY PEN:
Where on earth is my diamond pen?
I used it last on Eve New Year.
When it had written me lines of swords and spears.
Come,come,you are sought here.
Where I feel the heat of a thousand poets.

4 my pen called
family trolls
abandoned their chores
to the flutes of my pulse
my bloody friend is my all

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by timpaker(m): 2:45pm On Oct 24, 2014
Nice one guys... please keep it coming! cheesy
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Nobody: 4:33pm On Oct 24, 2014
Where is no. 5 oooooo?
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by texanomaly(f): 5:55pm On Oct 24, 2014
Infinitely prostrate
Cool smilies demonstrate
Gentlemen elongate
And old songs emanate
I choose the number "eight".

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Nobody: 6:09pm On Oct 24, 2014
I'm in ooo.

"To qualify for the competition, each poet is to write a five-line poem and should include a number at the top of that poem. It's that number we're going to use to pair the poets together. "

Hate is an emotion for the weak.
Love is its sister that's meek.
Hate loves love and it's abode it always seek.
Love is the meek with the loudest essence.
Hate is loud but it bows in love's presence.

grin

Laykorn... modified ooo

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by texanomaly(f): 6:14pm On Oct 24, 2014
iyabodeh:
I'm in ooo.

"To qualify for the competition, each poet is to write a five-line poem and should include a number at the top of that poem. It's that number we're going to use to pair the poets together. "

Hate is an emotion for the weak.
Love is its sister that's meek.
Hate loves love and it's abode it always seek.
Love is the meek with the loudest essence.
Hate is loud but it bows in love's presence.

grin

Do those nice legs belong to you?
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by philtrum(m): 8:20pm On Oct 24, 2014
[size=14pt]6
The sound of cymbals,
In the whispers of the wind,
Joined by the clap of thunders,
The music to which I sing,
"And dance in the rain"[/size]

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta / Rhymes / The Last Monkey In Idanre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.