Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,018 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:08 PM

Why Long Distance Relationships Fail... (must Read!!!) - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Long Distance Relationships Fail... (must Read!!!) (2253 Views)

10 Reasons Why Long Courtship Should Be Avoided By Ladies. / 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria / Romantic Love Text Message And Advice For Distance Relationships (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Long Distance Relationships Fail... (must Read!!!) by onome710(m): 8:44am On Oct 20, 2014
A lot of people shy away from long distance relationships because they feel it just won’t work out no matter how much effort they put in, but contrary to that belief, long distance relationships can actually be successful if the parties involved in it are aware of the pitfalls, and can strike an understanding to avoid them.

In my younger years, I had a few long distance affairs, and the reason they eventually crashed was because I wasn’t aware of the things I had to do or avoid at the time. Of course, after a couple of tries, I gave up on it too, but I also took out time to reflect on what could have gone wrong for me in those relationships, and here’s what I found…

INSUFFICIENT OR LACK OF COMMUNICATION

Long distance relationships like any other relationship require adequate communication to stay alive; when you don’t do this, it begins to die. It’s like planting a garden without watering it, what do you think will happen? Your partner needs to be constantly reassured that they mean something to you, and the only way to do that is by communicating with them as often as possible. Thank God, technology has made it possible for us to have different avenues of communication; social media and phone calls are all ways to stay in touch with one’s partner.

INSUFFICIENT OR NO VISITATIONS AT ALL

They say, “out of sight, out of mind”, so no matter how strongly you and your partner feel for each other, if you do not take out time to visit yourselves and share some together time, there’s every tendency for your relationship to crash. Calling and chatting are good, but seeing each other and being together adds something extra to your love. A lot of people do not get this, and that is why you see couples who see each other less than twice a year, and claim to be in a relationship; no sex, no kiss…nothing. That’s no relationship; I call it an acquaintance.

LACK OF TRUST

This has to be the biggest reason why all relationships fail…including long distance affairs. When you’re in a relationship with a person you do not trust, no matter what they do, you’ll have doubts, and these doubts are what cause the relationship to crash. My first real relationship was a long distance affair; we were deeply in love, but because we were both apart and saw only during semester breaks, trust issues began to creep in. She felt I wasn’t being true enough to her, and that I was cheating, and eventually, everything ended. So your love can be stronger than Romeo and Juliet’s, but if you do not build that trust, it will never work out.

MENTAL IMMATURITY

Mental immaturity makes people gullible; it is the reason a lot of people would rather follow their friends’ advice than their own hearts; this contributes to the failure of long distance relationships. Some people do not yet understand the way relationships work, they don’t realize how much sacrifices and efforts they’re required to put in to have a successful relationship; when these sort of people get involved with someone, they find it difficult to handle the relationship.

And those are the factors I consider responsible for the failure of most long distance relationships; if you feel I missed anything, please, feel free to mention it (them) in the comments’ area.
Re: Why Long Distance Relationships Fail... (must Read!!!) by briantext(m): 8:52am On Oct 20, 2014

Re: Why Long Distance Relationships Fail... (must Read!!!) by keyke(f): 9:48am On Oct 20, 2014
nice one op

1 Like

Re: Why Long Distance Relationships Fail... (must Read!!!) by onome710(m): 9:59am On Oct 20, 2014
@ keyke : thanks a lot!

@mods: pls front page material.
Re: Why Long Distance Relationships Fail... (must Read!!!) by keyke(f): 10:33am On Oct 20, 2014
u re welcome OP, @mods do justice to dis thread. fp tins
Re: Why Long Distance Relationships Fail... (must Read!!!) by Tymax(m): 10:43am On Oct 20, 2014
Distance relationships are unreliable even among mature parties. Out of sight is out of mind.

There's is little joy in knowing that the object of your love is miles and miles away. Some individuals think to brave this and rush onto a plethora of heartbreaking obstacles which will chafe the determination they started with.

Risky business.

1 Like

Re: Why Long Distance Relationships Fail... (must Read!!!) by Nobody: 10:49am On Oct 20, 2014
O.k
Re: Why Long Distance Relationships Fail... (must Read!!!) by adepiero: 11:01am On Oct 20, 2014
Nice on OP! but you no talk about "SCAVENGERS" causing distraction in form of attention and sexuaal advances
Re: Why Long Distance Relationships Fail... (must Read!!!) by philantoxx(m): 11:02am On Oct 20, 2014
noted
Re: Why Long Distance Relationships Fail... (must Read!!!) by chimerase2: 11:03am On Oct 20, 2014
No mata wat u preach ma broda
Long distance relationship can't work
It has been failing since God knws wen
Re: Why Long Distance Relationships Fail... (must Read!!!) by onome710(m): 11:53am On Oct 20, 2014
Thanks for all the comments so far...
Re: Why Long Distance Relationships Fail... (must Read!!!) by Charles4075(m): 11:57am On Oct 20, 2014
Noted BTW op

2 Likes

Re: Why Long Distance Relationships Fail... (must Read!!!) by Nobody: 12:13pm On Oct 20, 2014
Ah beg
Re: Why Long Distance Relationships Fail... (must Read!!!) by tosyne2much(m): 12:19pm On Oct 20, 2014
Long distance relationship been failing since 1900BC ** MODS pls do the justice by creating awareness to those ladies depending on one guy wey dey abroad wey dey use skype deceive them

1 Like

Re: Why Long Distance Relationships Fail... (must Read!!!) by LuckyLadolce(m): 1:25pm On Oct 20, 2014
Ama victim... front page for other victims to see.
Re: Why Long Distance Relationships Fail... (must Read!!!) by KillerBeauty(f): 1:28pm On Oct 20, 2014
Girls will say this relationship can't work because you're in lagos while I,m in ph.

But when the guy lives in US, she'll say love knows no distance grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Long Distance Relationships Fail... (must Read!!!) by darlingnuel(m): 1:36pm On Oct 20, 2014
No matter the distance, and even if you don't observe all the aforementioned rules, in so far you love each other deep down ur souls, the relationship would still stand the test of distance n tym
Re: Why Long Distance Relationships Fail... (must Read!!!) by Afrok(m): 5:32pm On Oct 20, 2014
I was in long distance relationship for three and half years, why it failed and how it worked for that long wasn't a small thing.
Since then (last year), love sounds like a "slang" to me undecided.
Re: Why Long Distance Relationships Fail... (must Read!!!) by Spydamannn(m): 5:37pm On Oct 20, 2014
Long distance is a No No for me...Been There Done That and I labeled That File "too much stress"
Re: Why Long Distance Relationships Fail... (must Read!!!) by alotofgrace(m): 5:38pm On Oct 20, 2014
no1 carries a 79.99% weight
Re: Why Long Distance Relationships Fail... (must Read!!!) by Nobody: 5:45pm On Oct 20, 2014
I really love long relationship and it do work out fine for me. I am into one right now all you have to do is trust each other
Re: Why Long Distance Relationships Fail... (must Read!!!) by suregurl(f): 6:00pm On Oct 20, 2014
KillerBeauty:
Girls will say this relationship can't work because you're in lagos while I,m in ph.

But when the guy lives in US, she'll say love knows no distance grin grin
Lolzzz...
Re: Why Long Distance Relationships Fail... (must Read!!!) by Cheadiva(f): 7:17pm On Oct 20, 2014
op yaf said t all

Stop dating urself
Re: Why Long Distance Relationships Fail... (must Read!!!) by onome710(m): 1:34pm On Oct 22, 2014
lol... i didnt say dont date...

(1) (Reply)

Who Suffers More? / Introverts How Do You Reenergize After Spending The Day In A Crowd, Etc. / My Bf Says 'I Love U' Only When He's High

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.