Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,169 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:52 AM

Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone (12945 Views)

Ebola: Lagos Okays N50m Grants To First Consultant Medical Centre / Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts / Ebola: Lagos Govt Identifies 59 Contacts With dead Liberian Victim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by Franchise21(m): 9:27am On Oct 20, 2014
The Lagos State Government on Sunday said it was
finalising arrangements to deploy some health workers
who helped in the containment of the Ebola Virus Disease
(EVD) in the state to Sierra Leone.
The Governor, Babatunde Fashola, made the announcement
in Ikeja while speaking at a programme to commemorate
the 2,700 days of his administration in office.
The governor said the health workers were to replicate the
state’s containment strategies in Sierra-Leone.
Mr. Fashola said although Nigeria was, as of now, free
from the disease, there was still the risk of new infections
from cross-border movements.
He, therefore, said the state’s planned mission to Sierra
Leone was not only to assist the country to overcome the
great health challenge, but also reduce the risk of the
disease to countries within the sub-region.
Sierra Leone accounts for a substantial number of the over
4,000 global Ebola deaths.
“Lagos is free from Ebola, Nigeria is free from Ebola. But
that does not mean there cannot be another case. For as
long as people are moving from countries to countries, the
risk of infections is still there,” Mr. Fashola said.
“That is why I appeal to the Federal Government to
continue to scrutinise people travelling into Nigeria from
land, sea and air from regions where the problem is still
ravaging.
“That is why some of the things the commissioner for
health will be announcing very soon is the arrangements
we are making to send some of our health workers and
volunteers to go and help out in Sierra Leone.
“That is the only way we, the whole of Africa and the
World can be safe.”
The governor expressed optimism that EVD, just like other
infectious diseases like Cholera that had once ravaged
humanity without remedy, would soon get a cure.
He said Nigerians needed not live in fear of the disease
coming back into the country but urged them to take
precautions that would guard against new infections in the
country.
Mr. Fashola said the state government had taken a number
of initiatives to prevent a return of Ebola in the state.
Some of the strategies, according to him, include the
deployment of screening equipment to schools and hospitals
and the construction of sanitary facilities in schools.
Others are training and retraining of personnel on
infectious diseases diagnosis and the sensitisation of
residents on how to be safe from the problem.
Mr. Fashola also announced that he had appointed Dr
Oluwakemi Sekoni his Scientific Adviser as a move to
enhance better response to Ebola disease and other
infectious ailments.
The governor said the responsibilities of the new adviser
would include providing public information about
infectious diseases for effective response.
Others are actions and co-ordinating science-based
research on food sufficiency, air pollution and helping in
all other things that were likely to improve the general
wellbeing of Lagos residents.
“Today, I am announcing the appointment of Dr.
Oluwakemi Sekoni as my Chief Scientific Adviser. She
would be presented at a formal induction ceremony
shortly,” he said.
Reeling out some of his achievements in the last 100 days,
Mr. Fashola said the Mainland Power Plant which would
supply interrupted power to government facilities in
mainland area was completed within the period.
He said the government also inaugurated a Power Academy
that would train people on all aspects of electricity
generation, distribution and transmission and help improve
the power sector.
Mr. Fashola said the government also trained no fewer
than 3,000 farmers on various aspects of agriculture and
supported them with items to support their businesses.
He said work was speeded up at the 70-gallon Adiyan
Water Works to improve water supply in the state. (NAN)

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by Mynd44: 9:43am On Oct 20, 2014

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by AntiBotBan: 9:44am On Oct 20, 2014
Abeg fashola no gree o..so dat dem go pack am carry am come back naija again abi?? if dem go make dey quiku go collect citizen form fill for dia den stay dia

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by iceberylin(m): 9:44am On Oct 20, 2014
lindaiikeji:
Other countries ar stopin pple frm dere enterin dia counties, wr are here sendin our own pple dere 2 d Lion's den. Wat if dey com back wit d virus.
Is this really linda or undecided
Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by datguru: 9:46am On Oct 20, 2014
Why not Nigerian government but Lagos state government ?

13 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by datbay(m): 9:46am On Oct 20, 2014
Isn't that dangerous?

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by ytunde30(m): 9:46am On Oct 20, 2014
[color=#990000][/color]hmmmmmmmmm
Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by mrofficial(m): 9:46am On Oct 20, 2014
Ok
Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by Lilimax(f): 9:47am On Oct 20, 2014
Good to know.
Nigeria, setting the pace in eradication of Ebola in Africa.

#teamProudlyNigeria

5 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by Daslim180(m): 9:47am On Oct 20, 2014
be careful
Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by MuguliciousMUGU: 9:48am On Oct 20, 2014
Caro-- Doctor help help my uncle is very sick.

Doctor-- what happened to him?

Caro-- He is very sick, he has Ebola.

Doctor-- WHAT!!! Ebo kini , olorun maje

*Doctor and all the hiv patients escapes*

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by justi4jesu(f): 9:48am On Oct 20, 2014
This is a No No for me. angry angry undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by Nobody: 9:48am On Oct 20, 2014
Cool stuff.
Just wondering why Fashola has taken this upon himself.
This is a Federal Government task..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by Iykebestbt(m): 9:49am On Oct 20, 2014
is this some kind of joke?
Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by priscaoge(f): 9:49am On Oct 20, 2014
This is a big risk ooo shocked shocked shocked. US is busy mocking and insulting Nigeria yet they can't handle Ebola,same Nigeria they insult is about to go and help another country to curb Ebola. What an Irony!

8 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by buccal(m): 9:50am On Oct 20, 2014
I pray its not brought back 2 nigeria tho.
Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by donigspain(m): 9:50am On Oct 20, 2014
Shey we don chop belle full to risk people life ni? Playing the big bro abi?
Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by kelvine(m): 9:50am On Oct 20, 2014
just maybe i go de frontpage,but sha na serious matter he be o.
*modified* Now that I have made frontpage I feel baptized by the juvenile spirit of certain nairalanders and trust me the feeling isnt bad.
I appreciate the part where an African Nation is helping out another African Nation,we shouldnt live out life completely dependent on the the Western world.

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by Nobody: 9:50am On Oct 20, 2014
Ok. Good...But wont those health workers return Ebola to us?

-----------
Fellow nairalanders, I just opened this blog www..com, abeg make nna patronize me o
------------
Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by Nobody: 9:51am On Oct 20, 2014
Wow, nice one...Giants of Africa... But The Liberian president just wrote a very touching letter to the world about Ebola, your heart will melt if you read it I swear...Read it Here
Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by mujiboy(m): 9:51am On Oct 20, 2014
and suddenly everybody be saying no no..Nigerians can be scared.. keep it up humanitarian..

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by temitemi1(m): 9:51am On Oct 20, 2014
More outbreak is await Nigeria then!!! because God help us erradicate am fashola dey tink sey nah dos pple skills, make dem no cum back until ebola is totally eradicated frm west Africa

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by Otunbab: 9:51am On Oct 20, 2014
Time to save the countries that biff us.
Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by Nobody: 9:52am On Oct 20, 2014
They should not bring it back home sha

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by Chiefpriest1(m): 9:52am On Oct 20, 2014
Good development. They should make sure the workers do not bring it back to Nigeria o. Nice to be one's brother's keeper though

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by ytunde30(m): 9:52am On Oct 20, 2014
I think Nigeria is getting better

Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by amtalkin(f): 9:53am On Oct 20, 2014
We can support them with finance...but sending health workers there is a NO OOOO.

The last thing I want to hear is a Nigerian dying of Ebola. We all knw any negative news that has Nigeria in it sells well for the western media. A Nigerian health worker that died of Ebola in Sierra Leone it will be reported as if he/ she had it in Nigeria n died there

6 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by slimpoppa(m): 9:53am On Oct 20, 2014
They should be very careful with it.
Re: Ebola: Lagos To Deploy Healthworkers To Sierra Leone by rapfezy: 9:54am On Oct 20, 2014
Ahhhh...over sabi dey kill o... undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

1.8 Million Nigerians Suffering Glaucoma / know These Baby Care Tips For First Time Mothers / La Casera Rewards And Celebrates Frontline Workers In Nigeria Communities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.