Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,110 members, 7,814,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:19 PM

Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders (7820 Views)

General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria / Jonathan Lacks Capacity To Secure Nigeria, Fight Corruption - Festus Keyamo / Flood: Jonathan Directs Release Of Ecological Fund To Lagos! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by Descartes: 5:12am On Oct 22, 2014
Disturbed by the porous state of Nigeria’s borders, the Senate on Tuesday passed a bill seeking to cede 20 per cent of the ecological funds to Border Communities Development Agency to enhance protection of the borders as well as the wellbeing of residents. Tagged: “A Bill for Act to Amend the Border Communities Development Agency Act Cap, B10 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria,” the bill was sponsored by Senator Olufemi Lanlehin (Oyo South). While presenting the bill for final passage yesterday, Senator Umaru Dahiru (Sokoto South), said the agency in collaboration with the office of the Surveyor-General of the Federation, would identify settlements, villages and towns across 108 local government areas in
21 states of the federation that are 15 kilometres from the nation’s borders for the purpose of effective policing and massive development. The affected states are Adamawa, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Benue, Borno, Cross River, Delta, Jigawa, Katsina, Kebbi, Kwara, Lagos, Niger, Ogun, Oyo, Ondo, Rivers, Sokoto, Taraba, Yobe and Zamfara. The bill provides for the deduction of at least 20 per cent of the ecological funds to tackle infrastructure decay and as well provide health facilities, schools and adequate security arrangements in all the affected communities. According to Dahiru, the inhabitants of border communities will enjoy provision of basic amenities such as safe drinking water, electricity, medical care and other infrastructure that will improve their living standards. He said: “The bill also seeks to strengthen our borders, so as to reduce the porous nature of our territorial boundaries in order to check incessant incidences of security challenges as well as human trafficking in the border region. He said: “The situation is so bad now that when given opportunity to choose between their country and the neighbouring countries, it is our modest belief that the inhabitants would prefer to be citizens of those countries which have basic amenities required for decent living. “The right to security of life and property of a citizen is universally recognised as an inalienable human right. This is clearly indicated by different instruments of the United Nations. Security does not only refer to safety of lives and property but also applies to the ability of government to make available, basic necessities of life and job opportunities for its citizens.” After the passage, Senate President, David Mark, noted that other neighbouring countries attach more importance to their border towns and villages than Nigeria. “I see no reason why our own case should be different. I know with the passage of the bill, the federal government will pay adequate attention to the porous nature of our borders which had forced inhabitants to access basic social amenities in neighbouring countries,” he said. http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/senate-cedes-20-ecological-fund-to-secure-nigeria-s-borders/191910/

2 Likes

Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by klem93(m): 5:16am On Oct 22, 2014
towards the end of their tenure good things are happening... what have they been doing since www..com

5 Likes

Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by Shankboye(m): 5:17am On Oct 22, 2014
Good for us
Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by gbodimowo(m): 5:17am On Oct 22, 2014
Good

Fp again this is a great day

Let me read well now
Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by SlimSkipper(m): 5:17am On Oct 22, 2014
sad dats gud news, ryt?
Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by eunisam: 5:17am On Oct 22, 2014
Nice move.i support this in totality
Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by AfricaMagic(m): 5:18am On Oct 22, 2014
I'm surely getting there.
PS: I don't use Nairaland app.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1628701_ant_gif0a5babbf8ecf6edd5cbdef6686f58c65
Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by eleojo23: 5:18am On Oct 22, 2014
Good move. Let's hope that the money will be used for what it's meant for.
Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by Descartes: 5:18am On Oct 22, 2014
The caption would have read " Mark and his Senate colleagues set to loot 20% of Ecological Fund". lipsrsealed

20 Likes

Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by Sunnycliff(m): 5:19am On Oct 22, 2014
Will these really stop migration across our borders Especially in The North East Regions? I pray The ecological fund is used for The purpose already stated and not. another avenue to siphon The nations wealth by The burgoises!!
Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by sammieguze(m): 5:19am On Oct 22, 2014
A very good development that's if eventually executed and not looted

2 Likes

Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by newguy1(m): 5:22am On Oct 22, 2014
Better late dan never.hope dey use d money 4 d intended purpose.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by Truckpusher(m): 5:25am On Oct 22, 2014
2cato:
At least these will go along way to cheak mate the activities of the terrorist wing of APC so as to reuduce the work load of the army and to protect lives of the people in that region.
They'll soon lynch you here. grin
Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by Akbee(m): 5:27am On Oct 22, 2014
hmmm
Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by dridowu: 5:30am On Oct 22, 2014
Good Morning Nigerians, pls am new to nairaland, pls welcome me and how do i post on nairaland ?
Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by Nobody: 5:31am On Oct 22, 2014
Great news
Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by ibedun: 5:31am On Oct 22, 2014
So border no dey for Igbo land? grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by Nlmadfreak: 5:33am On Oct 22, 2014
Now............................. We Are fuc.king confused!

Homeless Couple Caught Having Sex In A Park![pic/video]
Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by Complexalfa(m): 5:37am On Oct 22, 2014
They keep telling us how clueless gej
is but they forgot to tell us how rapid
nigeria has developed over the yrs
with him in power.
These shiit,forgot to tell us about the
over 130 special schools built
specially for those abandoned kids in
d north which they tagged "almajiris".
They all forget that,i as a person never
saw a train in motion until GEJ made it
possible.

They forgot to tell us that gej has built
over 9 new federal universities in
nigeria with about 6 of them bin in d
north.
They forgot telling us that agriculture
was looked down upon and people
tend to view it as a job for the poor
untill gej turns in to a gold mine.

These guys also forgot to tell us that
my state,akwa ibom was once
unheard of untill gej and Godswill
akpabio came on board.
Nobody heard of jigawa,enugu and
akwa ibom when development was
bin discussed untill sule
lamido,Godswill akpabio and sulivan
chime came into power.

God bless u GEJ
GOD bless me Complexalfa
God bless u all sincere advocate for
good governance in nigeria.
May God continue to fight for ur battle
while the devil keep disgracing
themselves.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by Biggiestep(m): 5:38am On Oct 22, 2014
pls!!
Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by sammyyoung2(m): 5:39am On Oct 22, 2014
Nice
Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by Gorgeous58(f): 5:40am On Oct 22, 2014
They should get the funds from the recovered stolen monies. Anyways, good development if the 20% ecological money won't be embezzled.
Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by olenyi: 5:51am On Oct 22, 2014
Ok. Lets hope that's what the money would be used for.

Even the ecological fund itself always keeps me wondering of what use it is being put to when there are ecological crises all over the place.
Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by Emeca: 5:55am On Oct 22, 2014
ibedun:

do u even know what a border means ??...smh

4 Likes

Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by mcdokwe(m): 5:56am On Oct 22, 2014
Nice one
Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by Chiefpriest1(m): 5:58am On Oct 22, 2014
Nice move, but as always, will Nigeria's principalities and powers we call leaders allow it work?

3 Likes

Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by eleko1: 6:01am On Oct 22, 2014
M
Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by DonHummer(m): 6:03am On Oct 22, 2014
ibedun:
you are a basket

1 Like

Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by engrjacuzzi: 6:06am On Oct 22, 2014
With the way things are on-going, i will be d FTC.
Re: Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders by naijamustsweet: 6:07am On Oct 22, 2014
Sunnycliff:
Will these really stop migration across our borders Especially in The North East Regions? I pray The ecological fund is used for The purpose already stated and not. another avenue to siphon The nations wealth by The burgoises!!
The aim is not to prevent migration across the borders but to give border communities a sense of belonging. Because most border communities are remote and rural they are usually neglected by govts in the provision of social(schools, hospitals etc) and economic (markets, access roads) infratructure.Due to poverty and frustration they become willing tools in the hands of smugglers,human traffickers,cross-border criminals etc.But if given a sense of belonging, the people become more patriotic and eschew divided loyalty while the community leaders will have an easier job of mobilizing the people away from activities that sabotage the economy and violate teritorial intergrity and cover-up cross-border banditry.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria To Produce 150 MW Of Electricity From Waste / Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach / Nnamdi Kanu Eventually Seen On the Street In London (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.