Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,709 members, 7,816,912 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach (7826 Views)

Graphic Photos Of Kidnappers Shot Dead By Security Operatives In Anambra State / Picture & Names Of Kidnappers Of Osun Speaker’s Wife / Demolition Of Kidnappers Of Anambra's Monarch's House ( Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by bilymuse: 10:00am On Dec 05, 2009
[size=15pt]As Christmas approaches, wealthy Igbo rush to move aged parents out of kidnappers’ reach
[/size]
By Chux Ohai, Published: Saturday, 5 Dec 2009
click to expand image

Luxury buses waiting to take people home for Xmas

East and west, as the saying goes, home is the best. But it seems that this timeless proverb may hold very little attraction for many people of Eastern Nigerian origin that are living and working outside their home states, this Christmas. Saturday Punch investigations have revealed that some rich and influential Igbo may have decided to shelve the yearly ritual of celebrating Christmas in their home towns and villages for fear of being attacked by kidnappers.

Apparently scared stiff by the recurring incidence of kidnaps across the eastern states, some of these people have started moving their loved ones, mostly the aged and invalid, from their home towns and villages to the relative safety of bigger and more secure towns and cities. One wealthy Igbo businessman, who owns a three-star hotel in the Ojodu area of Lagos and declined to disclose his identity for security reasons, told our correspondent that a recent experience had compelled him to rush home and bring his aged father to the city.

He said, ”I was the negotiator in a kidnap incident that took place in the month of May. My brother, it wasn‘t a very pleasant experience.”

According to him, the mother of his friend living in Spain was abducted from her home town in Ukwa East Local Government of Abia State just as she was returning from her farm. He continued,”The kidnappers demanded a ransom of N10 million. They threatened to kill the woman if her son failed to give them the money. They felt that since he lived abroad, he should be able to part with that sum of money without sweat. But my friend didn‘t have that kind of money. He was so scared to come home that he asked me to negotiate on his behalf.”

”All the while, I communicated with the criminals on the phone. It was a very tedious process. I told them that my friend was struggling to survive abroad and wouldn‘t be able to afford to pay them N10 million. After a while, they scaled down the ransom to N4 million. At this point, I had to let them know that I was going to pay the money from my own pocket and that I couldn‘t afford that kind of money. When they asked how much I could afford, I told them I had only N500,000. The result was that they went mad and warned that they would eliminate their victim if we failed to pay N4 million within a certain period.”

”I went on to beat the sum to N1 million, but they refused to accept it. I had no other choice than to link them up with my friend on the phone. My friend asked to speak with his mother and they gave her the phone. At this point, they were getting worked up. My friend was already worked up, too. He got angry and decided to call the bluff of the kidnappers. He told them that they could go ahead and kill his mother, if that was what they wanted. When his mother pleaded on the phone that he should give them what they wanted, he said to their hearing that they should do what they liked with her. At that point, the criminals understood that her son wasn‘t as rich as they thought and they had no other choice than to settle for N1 million”.

The victim, Saturday Punch gathered, was 75 years-old and her son was emotionally disturbed during the period of her ordeal. ”My boss had very little money when his mother was kidnapped. He had to borrow some money from his friend to pay the ransom” one of the aides of the man, who was given the task of delivering the ransom to the kidnappers in Port Harcourt, told our correspondent. Immediately after the she was freed, he added, the woman was flown out of the community by her son to an undisclosed destination where she is currently staying.

Similarly other Igbo businessmen across the country have begun to sneak their aged parents out of their various communities. Another Igbo businessman, an indigene of Anambra State resident in Lagos (name withheld), confessed to Saturday Punch that he had to bring his mother to Lagos because he feared that kidnappers might sieze the opportunity provided by the current political situation in his home state to strike this Christmas. ”Everything is becoming so dicey that it will be unwise to let her stay in my home town any longer. You cannot tell what will happen next, especially now that Christmas is approaching and everybody is desperate to make more money” he said.

For Chief Kennedy Adiele, a prominent lawyer and businessmen, from Owalla Asa community in Abia State the kidnap scare has reached the point where the federal government will have to intervene. According to him, kidnappers have laid siege to his community such that every well-to-do son of Owalla Asa and neighbouring villages and towns had taken their aged parents and relatives outside the state. He said, ”I tell you, the terror is so real that an atmosphere of fear and uncertainty currently pervades my community. As I am talking to you, my uncle‘s wife is still being held by kidnappers. There is a man, an indigene of Ukwaland who was abducted from the church where he worshipped. This man owns about seven petrol filling stations in Port Harcourt. The day they took him away, we learnt that they practically forced him out of the church and beat him so much that blood started gushing from his nose and mouth. Nobody has seen him for the past two months‘.

Adiele revealed that the situation had forced him to move his parents from Owalla Asa, but declined to disclose where he was keeping them at the moment. For him and several others, the joy of reuniting with his extended family at Christmas will have to be forgone. ”It is painful, but I have no choice” he said. Every year most Igbo men and women and their families journey home, not only to celebrate Christmas; but to mark the traditional New Yam festival, as well. Unfortunately, most people will miss this year‘s celebrations, which is usually accompanied with much fanfare.

The impact of the incidence of kidnapping on the economy and social life of the Igbo across the River Niger is, no doubt, enormous. ”Nobody wants to invest in Igbo land at the moment. As a result, no money is coming in. Everybody is scared” Adiele lamented. To worsen the matter, he added, the law enforcement agencies have not done much to stop the kidnappers.

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200912050191284
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by No2Atheism(m): 10:07am On Dec 05, 2009
wat is meaning of all these , can't these kidnappers realise that they are doing long term harm to their communities . . . it would take a lot of time for people to trust the safety of the places again.

i sometimes don't understand why we black africans at times end up doing things that make us look bad.
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by Nobody: 10:31am On Dec 05, 2009
What is it with igbos and kidnapping?
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by citizenY(m): 11:15am On Dec 05, 2009
Na bizness? It is unfortunate. Is there any way these heartless guys could be discouraged?
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by Katsumoto: 11:44am On Dec 05, 2009
Some cyber biafrans (Eziachi, Dede, Ezeugo and OnlyTruth) will not talk about real and present issues like these; instead they will keep referring to issues that occurred 40 years ago.
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by sjeezy8: 2:20pm On Dec 05, 2009
Stop bringing them to Lagos mehn that one na rubbish.  angry
Leave you and your family there. We dont want any more problem in the west, you people have BIAFRA, MASSOB, BAKASSI militants who are there to help igbo, unless they are among the kindappers.  lipsrsealed

So stay their and catch these kidnappers we dont want to overpopulate the West(mainly lagos) with old Igbo people who are a kidnappers dream.

It should remain a problem in the East and stay there, until it is solved. Call Ojukwu and tell him to set up something to put an end to the rampant kidnapping.
Crime has decreased in Lagos and we dont want any problems, SO STAY THERE
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by Katsumoto: 2:27pm On Dec 05, 2009
sjeezy8:

Stop bringing them to Lagos mehn that one na rubbish.  angry
Leave you and your family there. We dont want any more problem in the west, you people have BIAFRA, MASSOB, BAKASSI militants who are there to help igbo, unless they are among the kindappers.  lipsrsealed

So stay their and catch these kidnappers we dont want to overpopulate the West(mainly lagos) with old Igbo people who are a kidnappers dream.

It should remain a problem in the East and stay there, until it is solved. Call Ojukwu and tell him to set up something to put an end to the rampant kidnapping.
Crime has decreased in Lagos and we dont want any problems, SO STAY THERE

LNGKMD
After they (the Biafrans, not Igbo) will come on here insulting yoruba people. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by Abagworo(m): 2:28pm On Dec 05, 2009
i dont know who to blame for this calamity that has befallen igboland.i just have pity for all of us.i engaged in a serious argument with an ngwa friend of mine and he was confident to tell me that they are happy that non-indigenes are leaving their land.
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by Katsumoto: 2:34pm On Dec 05, 2009
Abagworo:

i dont know who to blame for this calamity that has befallen igboland.i just have pity for all of us.i engaged in a serious argument with an ngwa friend of mine and he was confident to tell me that they are happy that non-indigenes are leaving their land.

I don't understand, the story states that Igbo people are removing their families from Igboland. Who are the non-indigenes? Are the victims of kidnappers not mostly Igbo people?
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by Nobody: 2:40pm On Dec 05, 2009
The igbos are responsible for their woes by inventing kidnapping or did you see any yoruba man arrested for kidnapping in the east.Na dem dey do themselves
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by No2Atheism(m): 3:33pm On Dec 05, 2009
Abagworo:

@Abagworo

- Does the Ngwa having anything to do with a place called Isialangwa . . . (thats the only occurence of Ngwa that i know)

- Also please who are the none indigenes agains, i am confused. . . what does kidnapping have to do with non-indigenes. 
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by Abagworo(m): 3:49pm On Dec 05, 2009
No2Atheism:

@Abagworo

- Does the Ngwa having anything to do with a place called I[b]sialangwa[/b] . . . (thats the only occurence of Ngwa that i know)

- Also please who are the none indigenes agains, i am confused. . . what does kidnapping have to do with non-indigenes.

yes @bolded.but do not misunderstand me.i did not intend to paint the picture as all ngwa.aba is actually in ngwaland which is an igbo sub-group distinct from others.other igbos,akwaibomites etc. are settlers while they are actually the indigenes of the city.very much like the case of port-harcourt where ikwerres are indigenes and other igbos settlers
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by metalgong5(m): 3:51pm On Dec 05, 2009
Katsumoto:

Some cyber biafrans (Eziachi, Dede, Ezeugo and OnlyTruth) will not talk about real and present issues like these; instead they will keep referring to issues that occurred 40 years ago.

. . .  Will you shut up your stinking bucceal cavity and stop wallowing in the ocean of imbecility!! Anumanu embarassed. . . . .The stupid Yoruba press wont hesitate to report Kidnapping cases and other negative stories emanating from the east;conversely, they always prefer to turn a blind eye on all the JUJU rituals and kidnapping cases occuring in the South west. . .hmmm . . may be they dont find it profitable to report such Yoruba stories since it is already a norm in Oduduwa land.
           You fool even went further to expose your latent bigoted mind by trying to use the above article to wave aside the genocidal act committed against Ndigbo 40 yrs ago. Dont you have an atom of shame in you at all?
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by No2Atheism(m): 5:02pm On Dec 05, 2009
@Abagworo

Okay . . . i am not saying Isialangwa is the only Ngwa people i am just saying that is the only one i know.

By the way,

- Kidnapping is wrong and bad irrespective of where it occurs.

- However what i can't seem to understand is that why would indigenes rejoice or are you trying to say that kidnapping is being used a means to drive out non-indigenes or something.

- This is because uptill now, i was thinking that the kidnapping is being done purely as a form of business.

- I just wish those people doing the kidnapping would please just stop, cus frankly speaking it would not profit them cus at the end of the day . . . investments businesses and peace loving individuals would prefer to relocate at the end of the day once they realise that their business and families would be compromised as a result of kidnapping and ransom payment.
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by mekusxxx: 5:05pm On Dec 05, 2009
Igbo did not invent kidnapping; Yoruba did more than 100 years ago. What is the meaning of gbomogbomo?
Igbos have never kidnapped Yoruba in Igboland before but Yoruba have kidnapped several Igbos in Ondo state. Let me pull up the articles again
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by snowdrops(m): 5:17pm On Dec 05, 2009
No2Atheism:

wat is meaning of all these , can't these kidnappers realise that they are doing long term harm to their communities . . . it would take a lot of time for people to trust the safety of the places again.

i sometimes don't understand why we black africans at times end up doing things that make us look bad.
At times you wonder if all blacks not subhumans. Pathetic
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by jona2: 6:06pm On Dec 05, 2009
bilymuse:

[size=15pt]As Christmas approaches, wealthy Igbo rush to move aged parents out of kidnappers’ reach
[/size]
click to expand image

Luxury buses waiting to take people home for Xmas

East and west, as the saying goes, home is the best. But it seems that this timeless proverb may hold very little attraction for many people of Eastern Nigerian origin that are living and working outside their home states, this Christmas. Saturday Punch investigations have revealed that some rich and influential Igbo may have decided to shelve the yearly ritual of celebrating Christmas in their home towns and villages for fear of being attacked by kidnappers.

Apparently scared stiff by the recurring incidence of kidnaps across the eastern states, some of these people have started moving their loved ones, mostly the aged and invalid, from their home towns and villages to the relative safety of bigger and more secure towns and cities. One wealthy Igbo businessman, who owns a three-star hotel in the Ojodu area of Lagos and declined to disclose his identity for security reasons, told our correspondent that a recent experience had compelled him to rush home and bring his aged father to the city.

He said, ”I was the negotiator in a kidnap incident that took place in the month of May. My brother, it wasn‘t a very pleasant experience.”

According to him, the mother of his friend living in Spain was abducted from her home town in Ukwa East Local Government of Abia State just as she was returning from her farm. He continued,”The kidnappers demanded a ransom of N10 million. They threatened to kill the woman if her son failed to give them the money. They felt that since he lived abroad, he should be able to part with that sum of money without sweat. But my friend didn‘t have that kind of money. He was so scared to come home that he asked me to negotiate on his behalf.”

”All the while, I communicated with the criminals on the phone. It was a very tedious process. I told them that my friend was struggling to survive abroad and wouldn‘t be able to afford to pay them N10 million. After a while, they scaled down the ransom to N4 million. At this point, I had to let them know that I was going to pay the money from my own pocket and that I couldn‘t afford that kind of money. When they asked how much I could afford, I told them I had only N500,000. The result was that they went mad and warned that they would eliminate their victim if we failed to pay N4 million within a certain period.”

”I went on to beat the sum to N1 million, but they refused to accept it. I had no other choice than to link them up with my friend on the phone. My friend asked to speak with his mother and they gave her the phone. At this point, they were getting worked up. My friend was already worked up, too. He got angry and decided to call the bluff of the kidnappers. He told them that they could go ahead and kill his mother, if that was what they wanted. When his mother pleaded on the phone that he should give them what they wanted, he said to their hearing that they should do what they liked with her. At that point, the criminals understood that her son wasn‘t as rich as they thought and they had no other choice than to settle for N1 million”.

The victim, Saturday Punch gathered, was 75 years-old and her son was emotionally disturbed during the period of her ordeal. ”My boss had very little money when his mother was kidnapped. He had to borrow some money from his friend to pay the ransom” one of the aides of the man, who was given the task of delivering the ransom to the kidnappers in Port Harcourt, told our correspondent. Immediately after the she was freed, he added, the woman was flown out of the community by her son to an undisclosed destination where she is currently staying.

Similarly other Igbo businessmen across the country have begun to sneak their aged parents out of their various communities. Another Igbo businessman, an indigene of Anambra State resident in Lagos (name withheld), confessed to Saturday Punch that he had to bring his mother to Lagos because he feared that kidnappers might sieze the opportunity provided by the current political situation in his home state to strike this Christmas. ”Everything is becoming so dicey that it will be unwise to let her stay in my home town any longer. You cannot tell what will happen next, especially now that Christmas is approaching and everybody is desperate to make more money” he said.

For Chief Kennedy Adiele, a prominent lawyer and businessmen, from Owalla Asa community in Abia State the kidnap scare has reached the point where the federal government will have to intervene. According to him, kidnappers have laid siege to his community such that every well-to-do son of Owalla Asa and neighbouring villages and towns had taken their aged parents and relatives outside the state. He said, ”I tell you, the terror is so real that an atmosphere of fear and uncertainty currently pervades my community. As I am talking to you, my uncle‘s wife is still being held by kidnappers. There is a man, an indigene of Ukwaland who was abducted from the church where he worshipped. This man owns about seven petrol filling stations in Port Harcourt. The day they took him away, we learnt that they practically forced him out of the church and beat him so much that blood started gushing from his nose and mouth. Nobody has seen him for the past two months‘.

Adiele revealed that the situation had forced him to move his parents from Owalla Asa, but declined to disclose where he was keeping them at the moment. For him and several others, the joy of reuniting with his extended family at Christmas will have to be forgone. ”It is painful, but I have no choice” he said. Every year most Igbo men and women and their families journey home, not only to celebrate Christmas; but to mark the traditional New Yam festival, as well. Unfortunately, most people will miss this year‘s celebrations, which is usually accompanied with much fanfare.

The impact of the incidence of kidnapping on the economy and social life of the Igbo across the River Niger is, no doubt, enormous. ”Nobody wants to invest in Igbo land at the moment. As a result, no money is coming in. Everybody is scared” Adiele lamented. To worsen the matter, he added, the law enforcement agencies have not done much to stop the kidnappers.

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200912050191284

cool cheesy
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by Nobody: 6:19pm On Dec 05, 2009
@mekuxx
tell me how many yoruba,i mean yoruba not those ijaws claiming to be yoruba engage in militancy and kidnapping.The first international recognized kidnapping in recent years happened in port harcourt in 2006 during obj regime where some white men were kidnapped.Up till now,kidnapping is thriving in the south east/south south and i can still say it "NO YORUBA WAS INVOLVED".
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by THEAMAKA3(f): 6:34pm On Dec 05, 2009
im not surprised by some comments here.
people, dont forget that Nigeria is still a COUNTRY!!
these people are free to move anywhere they like in the country.
stop being silly and saying things like "dont come here, you are not welcome, blah blah blah"
look! if they want to move their family somewhere else for safety, they can do so.
if they want to move them to Edo State, let them move them there.
even if its Ondo, Taraba, or even Nassarawa, who cares!
so a person must put their own life and their family memebers life at risk just for the sake of staying where they are because they arent welcome?
shior!! some people sef.
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by sjeezy8: 7:58pm On Dec 05, 2009
They should ask MASSOB BAKASSI BIAFRANS, igbo militants to stay there and fight. In the west we dont have nealry as many militant groups sooooo please igbo people, Im begging you stay in your area. dont bring your kidnapper sons and your old people who are kidnappers dream to lagos ohhhhh. Our own boys do 419 and fraud and i prefer to get duped by a yorubaguy than kidnapped and my head cut off by a igbo guy for not being able to come up with ransom money.

IM NOT A TRIBALIST BUT WHEN IT COMES TO THE SECURITY OF MY OWN FAMILY I WOULD RATHER YOUR FAMILY STAY IN EAST AND CONTINUE TO GET KIDNAPPED.
Im tellin you anytime something bad happens in naija all tribes take refuge in ibadan, lagos and the west.
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by mekusxxx: 7:58pm On Dec 05, 2009
~Bluetooth:

@mekuxx
tell me how many yoruba,i mean yoruba not those ijaws claiming to be yoruba engage in militancy and kidnapping.The first international recognized kidnapping in recent years happened in port harcourt in 2006 during obj regime where some white men were kidnapped.Up till now,kidnapping is thriving in the south east/south south and i can still say it "NO YORUBA WAS INVOLVED".

Ondo: Youths kidnap, release 5 traders

Five Igbo traders in Owo local government area of Ondo State were kidnapped by unknown youths in the town. The victims were abducted on Saturday September 6 and later regained freedom last Friday. It was gathered that an undisclosed huge amount of money was paid to the youths to secure the release of the victims by the Igbo community. Niger Delta STANDARD Correspondent gathered that their release was made possible because of the intervention of Olowo of Owo, Oba Victor Olateru- Olagbegi and other notable chiefs in the town.

Those abducted were: Mr. Mike, Okechukwu Okafor, Chigozie Nwanekezi, Monday and Agboh. Worried by this development, the Igbo community staged protest to the State Police Commissioner, Charles Dawodu, shortly after their kinsmen were freed. The chairman of the Igbo community in Owo, Mr. Eze Chidozie who led his kinsmen to the state police commissioner said the youths had made life unpleasant for them in the community. He said the suspected militant youths abducted sixteen Igbo people in the last one-year and huge ransoms were paid before they were released to the Igbo community According to Chidozie, "These militant youths just enter our stores at will, carry our goods and ask us to pay certain amount of money before they will release these items.

They will just kidnap that person who argues with them and take such person to their cell. After, they would demand for ransom which start from N100, 000 and above, they would not release the victim until their demand is met." Chodozie said that the abduction was alien to the town as Igbo traders and other ethnic groups had been living in harmony with the people of Owo who he described as 'peace loving'. However, a reliable source close to the Olowo of Owo, Oba Victor Olaretu-Olagbegi, told our correspondent that such case was never reported to the Olowo. But, Chidozie pointed out that the Igbo community had reported severally to the monarch of the town without meaningful solution, threatening that his kinsmen would not open their shops until the issue is addressed by government and other stakeholders.

He appealed to the state police commissioner to beef up security among Igbo traders in Owo town, saying that the youths had turned abduction and looting of Igbo stores as a source of generating income. Chidozie said all Igbo indigenes in the state would join their kinsmen to protest against the injustice meted on them. The state Police Commissioner, Charles Dawodu who confirmed the incident blamed the Igbo traders for not reporting the alleged series of kidnapping in Owo town to him. Dawodu pointed out that he had met with traditional ruler of the ancient city and other prominent traditional chiefs to find a lasting solution to the illegality being perpetrated by the Owo youths.[b][/b]
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by Nobody: 7:59pm On Dec 05, 2009
hehehe

how daft mekush*t is.
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by mekusxxx: 8:01pm On Dec 05, 2009
Yoruba community in Anambra State condemns kidnap of 21 Igbo traders
By Okey Maduforo, Correspondent, Awka

Yoruba community in Anambra State, under the umbrella of Egbe Omo Oduduwa has condemned the alleged kidnap of 21 Igbo traders in Owo, Ondo State, warning that it is a threat on the unity and peaceful coexistence of Nigeria as a nation.

The traders were allegedly kidnapped last Friday by three militant groups known as Palace Boys, Eyin Ogbe Boys and Iloro Youths, who demanded millions of naira as ransom before they would be released.

The militants had last year kidnapped 16 Igbo traders before the latest incident which led to a petition to the state Commissioner of Police Mr. Charles Dawodu, by Ndigbo in the community.

Speaking with Daily Independent in Awka, Anambra State, the chairman of **Egbe Omo Oduduwa** in the area Baba Tunde Adegbenjo, said the incident sends danger signals, adding that there is no state in the country that do not have militants.

"We want to condemn the action and attitude of these militants. We have militants all over the federation and they should consider the fact that if they continue with this other people will revenge and when they do, it becomes crisis everywhere.

"So we are not happy with the attitude of our people back home who gather themselves together and call themselves militants.

"The relation of any of those victims would look for people around to kidnap and those of us outside the Yoruba land or non-indigenes generally would become victims. If this type of thing continues we will have no option but to point to the residence of part of Yoruba land where these activities are taking place.

"The place where it happened is Owo community, so instead of allowing them to go and revenge on Ogwoko man or Akure or Ondo town, we will now point to the residence of the Owo people among us; so that they will go and pick them. This is because things like this spread like wild fire and we will not allow that to happen."

Adegbenjo further noted that security is very important in business interaction and such a thing can affect business between visitors and owners of the land.

"If an Igboman do not feel safe to do business in Yoruba land they will not go there and those of us in Igbo land will not be comfortable and these are the type of incident we experienced some time ago, when the Hausa people had problems with the Igbos and many lives were lost.

"We do not want this type of thing and this is how it starts. So we have to tell our people to stop all these nonsense they are doing. It will not discourage economic development and sound interpersonal relationship in the country."

He urged the Ondo State government to take action quickly to protect the interest of the Igbo in the area as Yoruba and other ethnic groups are being protected in the South East zone; adding that the people at the zone and their respective governments have been friendly and displayed the spirit of brotherhood among visitors and settlers in Igbo land.
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by sjeezy8: 8:01pm On Dec 05, 2009
metal-gong:

. . .  Will you shut up your stinking bucceal cavity and stop wallowing in the ocean of imbecility!! Anumanu embarassed. . . . .The silly Yoruba press wont hesitate to report Kidnapping cases and other negative stories emanating from the east;conversely, they always prefer to turn a blind eye on all the JUJU rituals and kidnapping cases occuring in the South west. . .hmmm . . may be they dont find it profitable to report such Yoruba stories since it is already a norm in Oduduwa land.
           You fool even went further to expose your latent bigoted mind by trying to use the above article to wave aside the genocidal act committed against Ndigbo 40 yrs ago. Dont you have an atom of shame in you at all?

click to expand image

se na yoruba name be dis ode! stay your as.s in the east and stop coming to the west when your trouble !
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by mekusxxx: 8:03pm On Dec 05, 2009
Igbo kidnap Igbo; Yoruba kidnap Yoruba and Igbo
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by Nobody: 8:04pm On Dec 05, 2009
mekusxxx:

Yoruba community in Anambra State condemns kidnap of 21 Igbo traders

By Okey Maduforo, Correspondent, Awka

so what's your point here exactly?

I dont know if you just copy and paste without thinking or you dont have a brain.

any Igbos doing likewise when they hear reports about Igbos attacking Yorubas?

have you yourself been cautioned on this NL by any Igbo person?
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by sjeezy8: 8:04pm On Dec 05, 2009
tpia.:

hehehe

how daft mekush*t is.

dont mind that ode he thinks pasting article of  FEW KIDNAPPING in yorubalnd will work, WE KNOW THAT KIDNAPPING IN THE SE/SS IS A MILLION TIMES MORE.

@mekuodes tell you igbo boys to continue to kidnap igbo people please because if you kidnap Adenugas or any such family in the West you people will SMELL PEPPA
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by THEAMAKA3(f): 8:08pm On Dec 05, 2009
sjeezy8:

IM NOT A TRIBALIST BUT WHEN IT COMES TO THE SECURITY OF MY OWN FAMILY I WOULD RATHER YOUR FAMILY STAY IN EAST AND CONTINUE TO GET KIDNAPPED.
Im tellin you anytime something bad happens in naija all tribes take refuge in ibadan, lagos and the west.

THE-AMAKA:

im not surprised by some comments here.
people, dont forget that Nigeria is still a COUNTRY!!
these people are free to move anywhere they like in the country.
stop being silly and saying things like "dont come here, you are not welcome, blah blah blah"
look! if they want to move their family somewhere else for safety, they can do so.
if they want to move them to Edo State, let them move them there.
even if its Ondo, Taraba, or even Nassarawa, who cares!
so a person must put their own life and their family memebers life at risk just for the sake of staying where they are because they arent welcome?
shior!! some people sef.
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by mekusxxx: 8:10pm On Dec 05, 2009
Militants kidnap Portuguese engineer in Ondo
Sunday, February 08, 2009 - By Femi Makinde, Akure  

Rating :  by 0 users  Viewed 13 times    

Militants operating in Ondo State have kidnapped an expatriate engineer working with Picolo Construction Company.

Mr. Luis Jose Rentad was reportedly abducted at Ajagba town in Irele Local Government Area of Ondo State on Friday while working at a site.

It was gathered that the abductors, numbering about 50 and fully armed with sophisticated weapons and explosive materials, stormed Ajagba in five motorised boats and forcibly took Rentad away to an unknown abode.

Rentad was said to be the only expatriate at the site as at the time the kidnappers struck.

The construction company is executing a road that will link Irele with Ese-Odo and Ilaje local government areas.

A source told our correspondent that the abductors had demanded a huge amount as ransom before they would release Rentad. He added that negotiations were still on as at Sunday.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Adeniran Aremu, told our correspondent that Rentad would be released very soon “as serious efforts were on the way to effect his release.”

It was learnt that the Chairman of the Irele Local Government, Chief Akintoye Albert, was also making moves to secure the release of the expatriate.

The road contract, which has come under heavy criticisms mostly by the Ilaje, was awarded by the state government but was paid for with the fund allocated to the Ondo State Oil Producing Area Development Commission.

Ilaje and Ese-Odo local government areas are the two councils which the OSOPADEC has the mandate to develop.

Some hoodlums last year sacked a police station in Irele and went away with all the arms and ammunition in the station. A militant group, however, came to the rescue of the police.

The militant group, after some weeks, recovered the arms and ammunition and returned them to the Commissioner of Police, Mr. Charles Dawodu
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by Nobody: 8:10pm On Dec 05, 2009
sjeezy8:

dont mind that ode he thinks pasting article of  FEW KIDNAPPING in yorubalnd will work, WE KNOW THAT KIDNAPPING IN THE SE/SS IS A MILLION TIMES MORE.

@mekuodes tell you igbo boys to continue to kidnap igbo people please because if you kidnap Adenugas or any such family in the West you people will SMELL PEPPA

he should go to the west and see if the people kidnapping him are speaking Yoruba or his village lingo.
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by mekusxxx: 8:11pm On Dec 05, 2009
Is it really safer elsewhere?
Re: Christmas: Wealthy Igbo Rush To Move Aged Parents Out Of Kidnappers Reach by mekusxxx: 8:11pm On Dec 05, 2009
Tpia,

Read what the Yoruba in Onitsha said about the kidnap of Igbos in Owo

He urged the Ondo State government to take action quickly to protect the interest of the Igbo in the area as Yoruba and other ethnic groups are being protected in the South East zone; adding that the people at the zone and their respective governments have been friendly and displayed the spirit of brotherhood among visitors and settlers in Igbo land.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

List Of The Outcome Of Obj's Visit To Boko Haram Group / Killing Of My 3 Sons Planned By GEJ—Nigeria’s Shiite Leader, Sheikh El-ZakZaky / 3 Categories Of Igbos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.