Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,772 members, 7,817,146 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:06 AM

FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide - Nairaland / General (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide (45474 Views)

FG To Take Over Expansion Of Lagos- Badagry Express Way / FG To Cancel Fixed Electricity Charge – BPE / FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by isaiahethan: 10:17am On Oct 26, 2014
[quote author=etunoman76 post=27457784]The use of motorcycles as commercial means of transport in Nigeria, popularly known as ‘Okada’ or ‘Achaba’ may soon be banned throughout the country.

The proposal for the ban was made by the National Council on Transport after its annual conference in Enugu State and endorsed by the Minister of Transport, Sen. Idris Umar.

A statement from the Federal Ministry of Transport on Saturday evening stated that the ban of commercial motorcycle was one of the measures proposed towards adequate provision of safety and secure transportation in Nigeria.

It said the recommendation was contained in a statement of the week long meeting which had in attendance all the state commissioners of transport, permanent secretaries, directors and officials in the federal and state ministries of transport across the country.

The council advised all states in the federation to henceforth discourage the use of commercial motorcycles as a means of public transportation.

“All states and the Federal Capital Territory have therefore been advised to establish a public transport system that ensure strict regulation of the operation of public passenger transportation system through a well-articulated management system for enhanced safety, security, effective and efficient service delivery,” the statement said.

It added, “The states are to also develop master plans for the development of intelligent transport system to facilitate the development and management of their transport operations in line with emerging trends and global best practices.”

The statement noted that the council also agreed that all commercial vehicles should be properly registered in each state while their enumeration should be carried out periodically to enhance safety and security.

http://www.punchng.com/news/fg-to-ban-commercial-motorcycles-nationwide/[/quote

The government dey yeye,without solution for the masses
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by oniconx: 10:18am On Oct 26, 2014
experimentist:
Clueless decision from a cluesless president at a clueless time..

Buhari 2015!

TANdroids os 0.6 don't quote!
. Do you read other people comment to get ur CLUE at all? Now who is clueless? You or the President? Loi.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by legalwealth(m): 10:21am On Oct 26, 2014
deletrue:
Keke nko?

Keke napep can't be compared with Okada!
Every true business man should understand! !!
First and foremost,okada is cheaper and can access where Keke napep can't enter and should in case you don't know,okada makes money even more faster than Keke napep.

Traffic hardly catch and hold okada...

2 Likes

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by akoaki(m): 10:23am On Oct 26, 2014
Outright ban may be counter productive now. It is good to restrict okada to designated routes considered safe. The government can then ensure strict compliance by punishing violators.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by oniconx: 10:30am On Oct 26, 2014
akoaki:
Outright ban may be counter productive now. It is good to restrict okada to designated routes considered safe. The government can then ensure strict compliance by punishing violators.
. Good talk !
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Nobody: 10:32am On Oct 26, 2014
lastpage:

When l was growing up, the only Okada l saw was that of "outriders" of the then Governor of Lagos, Mobolaji Johnson!
There was one dare-devil rider called "Lati", we usually taunt him by calling him "Laati elewon" as he rode in a daring fashion to the applause of we youngsters in those day!

I still ask myself: How did we get to this level of Okada everywhere?
In my days, young peeps who cant further their education, learned a trade, from Mechanic, to carpentry, to Electrician, to Bricklayers and only the worst-of-the worse, the 'rejected' became Bus Conductors!

Now, it seems the aim of every youngster is to ride an Okada for a living? angry

Where are the roads the Govt built?
Where is the Mass transit (Fast trains, Light Rail systems, e.t.c) to take over the transit of citizens?
Where is the Electricity to run Small Scale Business tha these youngsters would have ventured into, as was in those far-gone days?
When is this UNENDING SLIDE into Poverty going to be checked?
Are the current set of people (From Clueless GEJ and his band of treasury looters, ...to Religiously fanatical Sharia proponent Buhari and his team of APC rogues like Tinubu) leading this nation the ones we expect would lift this country unto the right path?

Me dont think so!

Nigerians can stop this rot, if they really want to and want it badly enough.
But again, me dont think Nigerians want it badly enough, ...maybe not just yet! wink wink

Lastpage

Your highness, ehn this your title na wa o grin ( Ofè mmanú Gburugburu I, of Nairaland! )

We are not hungry enough to effect changes in Nigeria. Every single 1st world country went through a civil war and they then settled then settled themselves.

Sometimes I wonder if my greatest Nigerian idol, Ojukwu had won, if we would have had comparison and competition to better the people. Like North vs South Korea. India vs Pakistan.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by PROCTOR: 10:37am On Oct 26, 2014
Good riddance to bad rubbish.Our leaders have consistently demonstrated an ability to feign ignorance to real problems and start chasing shadows .Of the million and one problems we've got,i doubt "okada"should be the one under deliberation
Election is coming so i understand why they are planning to make some people jobless senselessidiots

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by cocoduck: 10:44am On Oct 26, 2014
joseph1832:
I hear you Mr Please read before you comment!. In English language what does 'endorse' mean?.
to endorse simply means to agree to give hour support or to say yes this is a good idea.
it doesn't mean that you are actually doing that thing. that is how you fail exams. didn't you do comprehension and synonyms in primary school? That is if I am actually discussing with a grown up.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by joseph1832(m): 10:51am On Oct 26, 2014
cocoduck:

to endorse simply means to agree to give hour support or to say yes this is a good idea.
it doesn't mean that you are actually doing that thing. that is how you fail exams. didn't you do comprehension and synonyms in primary school? That is if I am actually discussing with a grown up.
And then why should a sane man endorse the ban of okada when he knows many of them who ply okada have no other means of livelihood?, even when he the sane man is absolutely aware of the abject poverty and strife in the land.

I believe this is how you support opinions without adequately knowing where they might lead to! I believe you went to the university? Learn to critique opinions before supporting them.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by experimentist: 10:54am On Oct 26, 2014
oniconx:
. Do you read other people comment to get ur CLUE at all? Now who is clueless? You or the President? Loi.
You chop winch?

Wetin concern me wit anybody comment? I don talk my own be dat!
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by idris4r83(m): 10:56am On Oct 26, 2014
onihaxy:

Did I hear you say "banning commercial motorcycle nationwide" is another reason to vote out GEJ?, tell me, was it gej or pdp party that started it in lagos since 2012?.

I'm not a sympathiser of any party but I hate it when some people try to attach an evil to a party as if there own party is clean. The more the "lies propaganda", the more I hate this party called "APC"
but there are some palliative measures uncle fash took before coming up with the ban. at least he employed most of the okada riders as KAI officials, there's also a good road network in lagos which will couter the effects of the ban and also keke napep has been in lagos even before the ban. remember, unlike some pdp states like kaduna where the governor just impose d ban without any palliative plan, no good road network, guy, we need a change in this country. pdp has been rulling this country since the inception of democracy lets give other party a chance and c what they have to offer. remember, it is only a fool that will be doing the same thing and expect a change.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by ezelous: 11:05am On Oct 26, 2014
What kind of devilish idea is this? You are yet to make provision and still want to ban okada biz. Na thunder go fire una!

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Raddie(m): 11:08am On Oct 26, 2014
Mynd44:
Trouble dey sleep, yanga wan wake am.
Been a while sad
Mynd44:
Been a while I read your comments, where have you been, hope all is good?
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Habidab: 11:31am On Oct 26, 2014
With the current situation of the country,this is not a way to go for now
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Nobody: 11:31am On Oct 26, 2014
MuhdG:

Onlybin the state nd not the whole country
it's logical to say that the states caused it then. They started it and gave hint to those at the top.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Nobody: 11:34am On Oct 26, 2014
2sexi:
it's logical to say that the states caused it then. They started it and gave hint to those at the top.

I couldn't agree more
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Samuel200: 11:38am On Oct 26, 2014
Why not, Okada has already been ban in Kaduna since.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by wordcat(m): 11:41am On Oct 26, 2014
They should build more prisons nationwide first before embark on that useless quest.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by tunsmann(m): 11:43am On Oct 26, 2014
but it should be.......FG to ban bolo haram.this is a clear case of,leaving real object to chase the shadow.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Hero10001: 12:09pm On Oct 26, 2014
Make dem ban am, we go buy moto, insha allah.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Greatozone(m): 12:15pm On Oct 26, 2014
It is a good idea if and only if the Nigerian police will agree to recruit them. And for them to do so, the government should provide (NOT PROMISE TO PROVIDE) enough patrol van and ammunition for them before they do so. This wil help reduce crime since there wil be policemen all over the places to combat crime. It wil equally reduce the rate at which road accident occurs since the police wil always be available to stop, caution and arrest any driver that overspeeds or drives under the influnce of alcohol as we normally see when we watch American movies though I don't know if it is really obtainable in real life.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by fridayj(m): 12:17pm On Oct 26, 2014
It ought not to be so......,FG/Gej "provide solution before resolving the problems" d ocean is about to b drien into desert...d cuntry hve nt grown neither developed. It jus expanding.. i clearly cn c wht dis is all abut. It jus dat d law is made for d poor... angry
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by FEMoxylian: 12:18pm On Oct 26, 2014
Mumu heads! Pls fix the bad road first hw can one get to work on time in apapa if you dont take okada. Dont know why this govt. always misplace priorities.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by SexyFox(f): 1:08pm On Oct 26, 2014
I agree with the propose ban. You need to see the way they drive in Sagamu.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Amanwulu1(m): 1:11pm On Oct 26, 2014
stardragon:

but ur leg dey am nah!
even my leg, infact d gods knw say me I no dey for d conspiracy.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by bigtt76(f): 1:33pm On Oct 26, 2014
And all the buses would end up plying Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt routes or Ghana sef grin

stinggy:
As much as I believe okadas should be banned, my fear is 'We are not there yet'. No alternatives for now. I think there should be reliable loan scheme(at all levels of government) for youths to acquire cheap taxis so as to support livelihood since jobs aren't forthcoming, we can introduce tricycles as they are safer, but more importantly, roads should be fixed.

And this is how I think this will go:

After the ban on Okada riders, a means that gives about 1.2 million people job, this FG will then provide three 48-sitter buses to each state, after this, GEJ will go on air to announce to the world that he has given 2.5 million people job...
And that's what they call 'Fresh Air'

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by IYANGBALI: 1:56pm On Oct 26, 2014
Mynd44:
leave dem,wetin dem sabi?make dem try am
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by shema101(f): 2:22pm On Oct 26, 2014
Rapmoney:

That's the problem! Whenever we talk of abolishing this social menace called okada, someone just spring up to remind us that the rate of robbers and crime will increase as if these people have not been doing something before they joined the okada business; as if they were born with bikes from their mothers' wombs. If you don't observe closely, you won't notice the hazard these bikes cause on our roads. The truth is: civilized societies have all done away with bikes as means of transportation!!! Just imagine over 500 bikes on a road within a 1 kilometer pace. Isn't that madness?
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Walphem(m): 2:31pm On Oct 26, 2014
stinggy:
As much as I believe okadas should be banned, my fear is 'We are not there yet'. No alternatives for now. I think there should be reliable loan scheme(at all levels of government) for youths to acquire cheap taxis so as to support livelihood since jobs aren't forthcoming, we can introduce tricycles as they are safer, but more importantly, roads should be fixed.

And this is how I think this will go:

After the ban on Okada riders, a means that gives about 1.2 million people job, this FG will then provide three 48-sitter buses to each state, after this, GEJ will go on air to announce to the world that he has given 2.5 million people job...
And that's what they call 'Fresh Air'

o boy I no get the right meme for this your post...you just nack the nail well for head.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Afroconnect: 2:32pm On Oct 26, 2014
What the FG needs to be doing is to start building refineries,revive our steel industry,provide funds and seedlings for agiculture,build processing and manufacturing industries and create trade-zones in all geo-political zones in the country to absorb the teeming numbr of men and their dependents that will be thrown out of their means of survival.

In some Nations,they pay social security money-this is survival money.

Too bad the averge Nigerian politician is so self-absorbed that it seems they have lost touch with reality.

We must not allow selfish,blinded politicians to lead our Ship of state, because such men will lead the nation to anarchy with their myopic and selfish actions/inactions- and we all will feel the brunt,it is better to do away with them.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by felai: 2:34pm On Oct 26, 2014
This people and their policies sha.
Tell me how a state like Sokoto is supposed to adhere/adopt such a policy where 80% of the people get to their destination by okada. This same okada feeds a good number of their teeming youths through income generated from riding it.

Must u nominate a minister or an Official despite knowing that he is incompetent.

Come 2015, pls let's VOTE WISELY. No sentiments.

Naija I Hail thee.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by clemzo101(m): 2:50pm On Oct 26, 2014
U can't ban okada without providing alternatives for the okada riders who use it as a means of surviving, If the government is to ban okada den they shld be prepared to give d riders jobs.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Trailer Load Of Jonathan/sambo Rice Involved In Accident / What Is Wrong With This Picture / Good Old Days( Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.