Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,956 members, 7,817,809 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:07 PM

Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software - Computers (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software (16802 Views)

How To Reduce Etisalat Browsing Speed? / FG Enforces Ban On Foreign Computers: HP, LG & Samsung To Lose / NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by abdul4new(m): 1:58pm On Oct 30, 2014
only on papers
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by Nobody: 2:36pm On Oct 30, 2014
It is laughable when you see in first hand what Nigerians would come out with in ICT sector by merely looking at most websites in that country. grin cheesy
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by Nobody: 3:02pm On Oct 30, 2014
many indegenious firms are already patronizing locally developed softwares as it is easier to maintain since the developers are actually residing in the neighborhood.
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by Nobody: 3:06pm On Oct 30, 2014
webdezzi:
many indegenious firms are already patronizing locally developed softwares as it is easier to maintain since the developers are actually residing in the neighborhood.
What software are you talking about? Please...
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by donnaira(m): 3:26pm On Oct 30, 2014
kenbee:
Nigeria got it wrong from our basic education system. Practical Oriented education system is the key to Employment, Hardwork, Technology & Science, Strong economy and what have U.
Nigeria that can't boast of toothpick production is dreaming of 30% software market size. Well, nothing is impossible.
I Luv Naija Spirit thou!
guy if you are offended with that get loan and build a toothpick manufacturing company & let me be a lion share holder in one of the proposed software company now tell me which of us will have a fatter pocket .
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by digitite: 4:26pm On Oct 30, 2014
This is good man, we shall lead the software revolution cool.
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by aslan(m): 5:10pm On Oct 30, 2014
naija politicians sha. mtcheew.
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by aslan(m): 5:12pm On Oct 30, 2014
donnaira:

guy if you are offended with that get loan and build a toothpick manufacturing company & let me be a lion share holder in one of the proposed software company now tell me which of us will have a fatter pocket .
do not underestimate the power of toothpick.
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by lawrenceunaa: 5:13pm On Oct 30, 2014
okzcorp:

You have shown willingness to learn, you are hereby corrected.
where is the correction undecided
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by Nobody: 6:03pm On Oct 30, 2014
Bunch of statistics, they should tell us how they will implement their phantom idea.
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by nijanigga: 8:15pm On Oct 30, 2014
Nobleval:
pig. Troubled soul.
you meant ur party PDP?
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by zebra(m): 9:41pm On Oct 30, 2014
What kind of software are we talking about here? Application software or Operating system software? Well, let's try it and see. #TeamMicrosoftandIBMsoftware#
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by dammyeve: 12:11am On Oct 31, 2014
viruz007:
As much as I laud the initiative, how many companies are willing to upgrade basic softwares talk less of using local content softwares?

You'll find a company still using Server 2003, Windows XP, Office 2003 etc and refuse to upgrade and you are talking of getting them to use local softwares?

Good luck with that.

Anyways I welcome the idea. Met some great programmers with great ideas and if this works, this will help them grow.

P.S We need more CCHubs
My greatest fear is that longlegedness would not take over In employing the programmers. We have great talented programmers but Nigeria will always employ the poor ones they know
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by Nobody: 9:08am On Oct 31, 2014
manutdadex:
y wont they spend dat amount?? Wen all they teach in our universities are Qbasic,fortran, these are insultin!! Qbasic shud b tut in sec skool. When u spend less dan 30mins a wk in a computer lab and all ur programmin na inside note....wat kind of result were u expectin Too many irrelevant courses in our educational system!

Guy the thing tire me, wetin vex me pass and COBOL wey dem put for us in our second year, and only few could pass it, too many irrelevent courses mehn.

I had to learn Advanced JAVA and PHP OOP and C++ on my own accord and my grades suffered and are still suffering, cus I spend time developing little softwares and apps than learn all the books in this world, graduate with Distinction/First Class or Upper Credit and I can't write a good software or even basic mobile app, so what did I learn in school.
Too many irrelevant and 'borrowed' courses are killing us

1 Like

Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by viruz007(m): 9:46am On Oct 31, 2014
dammyeve:

My greatest fear is that longlegedness would not take over In employing the programmers. We have great talented programmers but Nigeria will always employ the poor ones they know

Another big problem... Let's see how it goes
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by manutdadex(m): 9:49am On Oct 31, 2014
Normality:

Guy the thing tire me, wetin vex me pass and COBOL wey dem put for us in our second year, and only few could pass it, too many irrelevent courses mehn.

I had to learn Advanced JAVA and PHP OOP and C++ on my own accord and my grades suffered and are still suffering, cus I spend time developing little softwares and apps than learn all the books in this world, graduate with Distinction/First Class or Upper Credit and I can't write a good software or even basic mobile app, so what did I learn in school.
Too many irrelevant and 'borrowed' courses are killing us
i feel ur pain bro and will lay importance on grades instead of man power development.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by Naijamericana: 12:06pm On Oct 31, 2014
What computer courses do they teach in Nigerian universities? I see people mentioning Fortran. That is ancient. You need knowledge of java, Javascript, C++, python, ruby on rails, visual Basic to be competitive. Bill Gates and Co where provided the tools in university to develop their abilities. The govt should do the same.
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by zebra(m): 1:18pm On Oct 31, 2014
@manutdadex: fortran is still very much useful and still in use today for numerical computing and high performance computing. It is still the best language for solving and modeling scientific and mathematical problems very accurately. The only disadvantage of fortran is that it cannot be used for developing applications, rather it is used for problem solving. U can google to find out more.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by manutdadex(m): 4:37pm On Oct 31, 2014
zebra:
@manutdadex: fortran is still very much useful and still in use today for numerical computing and high performance computing. It is still the best language for solving and modeling scientific and mathematical problems very accurately. The only disadvantage of fortran is that it cannot be used for developing applications, rather it is used for problem solving. U can google to find out more.
so also qbasic! What abt mathlab?
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by zebra(m): 4:44pm On Oct 31, 2014
manutdadex:
so also qbasic! What abt mathlab?
All these were either developed from fortran or related to fortran.
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by jdilight(m): 5:43pm On Oct 31, 2014
Nice move, Rome was not built in a day. To be built the foundation had to be dug.
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by manutdadex(m): 6:14pm On Oct 31, 2014
zebra:
All these were either developed from fortran or related to fortran.
you dont get my point, qbasic are tut to litlle kids, fortran we av beta, well advanced programing languages dan fortran. Imagine spending 4 yrs in skool and learning qbasic, fortran and python all tru 2 yrs...wen will u av time to learn beta languages like java,c++??
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by zebra(m): 8:59am On Nov 01, 2014
manutdadex:
you dont get my point, qbasic are tut to litlle kids, fortran we av beta, well advanced programing languages dan fortran. Imagine spending 4 yrs in skool and learning qbasic, fortran and python all tru 2 yrs...wen will u av time to learn beta languages like java,c++??
fortran for applications development is poor, but for high performance computing and scientific computing is excellent. I don't think there is a better alternative for these purposes.
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by prof800(m): 12:10pm On Nov 01, 2014
ELECTRICITY!
ELECTRICITY!!
ELECTRICITY!!!

...thatz all. undecided
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by persius555(m): 11:11am On Nov 02, 2014
I am glad somebody brought this topic. A year ago i was consulting for a local firm that needed a computer based platform to run its management admistrative activities. I got in contact with some indian firms who offered their software product which eventually didnt meet our needs. Somehow, i got in contact with a wholly nigerian firm that had similar products that effectively solved the issues we were conttending with. On the longrun we couldnt do business because the terms presented by the local firm was too stringent compared to whhat the indians offered and the client turned down the deal. If granted better working environments i believe the local software companies will do very well.
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by aslan(m): 6:04pm On Nov 05, 2014
prof800:
ELECTRICITY!
ELECTRICITY!!
ELECTRICITY!!!

...thatz all. undecided
my man, i see u. correct-o-mende

1 Like

Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by donnaira(m): 10:43pm On Nov 05, 2014
aslan:
LOL
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by donnaira(m): 10:43pm On Nov 05, 2014
aslan:
LOLZ

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

SOLD! Lenovo Y520 Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 4gb Dedicated Core I7 7th gen SOLD! / What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? / Using Computer Keyboard Short Cut (tips 'n Tricks)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.