Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,271 members, 7,818,930 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost (7975 Views)

Yahclick Internet Service / Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria / Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by supereagle(m): 5:46am On May 11, 2012
The high cost of distributing internet bandwidth from submarine cables on the shores across the length and breadth of the country, will soon become a thing of the past. Indications are that the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) plans to introduce a cap on fibre transmission costs after a survey conducted specifically to determine real cost of deploying fibre is completed. It has been established that the price of moving internet capacity from Lagos to Abuja is indeed much higher than the cost of moving capacity from Lagos to London. This, according to industry analysts is due to the dearth of transmission backbone network needed to move bandwidth capacity.

As a result, Nigeria has one of the highest costs of internet access in the world, at approximately N8, 000 to N10, 000 for 5Mbps (Megabits per second) of data. Eugene Juwah, Executive Vice Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) said in an interview, that the commission is also conducting another study to clearly map out the country’s fibre assets. “The NCC is conducting a survey to determine the real cost of deploying fibre. We are not running away from putting a cap on fibre transmission cost but we must have cost- based information before the NCC makes its decision. We do not want to destroy businesses because we are aware that operators have made huge capital expenditure in laying fibre. The commission is committed to bringing down the cost of internet services.

“We want good distribution of capacity. This is why we have adopted as a means of our regulatory intervention, an inclusive process we call ‘Open Access Model’ for broadband deployment.”This, according to Juwah is a model that provides a framework for sophisticated infrastructure sharing. On the timeline for implementing the much talked about policy, Juwah noted that the NCC’s broadband plan was still awaiting approval from government before implementation begins. “A broadband plan takes sometime to be rolled out because there are many stakeholders involved. It has to be approved by the federal government before we implement. If left to me, it will start tomorrow but I have to obey the guidelines of the government. In terms of the number of licenses that would come up as a result of the implementation of the policy, our consultants will be in a position to determine that”, he added.

In addition, the federal government is working to ensure full interconnectivity and interoperability between National Long Distance Operators (NLDOs) in accordance with the provision of the Telecoms Act in section 96-97 that mandates interconnection between all network and facilities service providers. Moreover, some telecommunications companies in Nigeria who have extensive fibre transmission networks are unwilling to share infrastructure. In cases where they do agree to share infrastructure, they charge very high prices, often for strategic reasons.

This explains why the cost of distribution is very high. “Our inability to gain cost effective and high quality access and distribution networks required for data distribution at fair and non-discriminatory prices, places the promise of faster, better and more affordable broadband services to the end user by the advent of the submarine cables on the verge of defeat”, Funke Opeke, chief executive officer, Main One Cable Company, observed in an interview recently.

Juwah however believes that the commission’s broadband plan based on an ‘Open Access Model’ would assist in unbundling the broadband infrastructure market into three layers – the passive, the active and the retail.

“This structure will ensure vibrancy in the market and prevent dominance, as no company will be allowed to play in more than two of the service layers and the equity participation in bidding consortium for the licenses will be controlled.” Giving further insight into how the open access model will play out in terms of implementation, the NCC helmsman explained that bandwidth will be provided by the active infrastructure providers to the retail service providers on a fair and non-discriminatory basis. The active infrastructure providers, he continued, will buy bulk bandwidth from the submarine cable companies, which will then be delivered via optical fibre, owned by the passive infrastructure providers. “Implementation of this model will bridge the gaps in broadband deployment, eliminate last mile issues, reduce the price of bandwidth for end users and unlock the market for massive broadband usage.

“The commission will issue licenses in the passive and active layers while price caps will be executed in these layers using cost based pricing”, he stated. In the retail segment, he stated that multiple licenses will be issued, with pricing to end users determined by market forces. This, according to Juwah would enable service delivery at affordable prices for the end-user. “Where it may not be economically viable to do so, the commission will offer financial incentives to the infrastructure providers to enable them operate reasonably profitably. The government, through the commission will facilitate agreements and engage in dispute resolution among the various stakeholders. In terms of implementation, we have already concluded preliminary studies that will enable cost effective deployment. In this process, we have developed a model for the deployment, and have engaged reputable internationally acclaimed consultants to drive strategy and design process for achieving our goals”.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/76-hot-topic/37419-ncc-steps-in-to-reduce-internet-service-cost
Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by Okijajuju1(m): 11:53am On May 14, 2012
NOOOOO!!

Instead, increase it but make sure that they provide breaknexk speed services.. I will rather pay more for super service than payless for rubbish...

Plus, the fact that these companies generate their own electricity is what drives the price up so high!! At Starcomms office in Portharcourt, If you see the tank they use for their diesel supply, you will cry for them.

2 Likes

Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by chrishenzo: 11:59am On May 14, 2012
If only they can stick to their decision, it will be a good decision

I believe that electricity plays a great role in most of Nigeria commodity prices. I wonder why in this age, a country(maybe continent) like Nigeria is still suffering from unstable electricity. Fix the Electricity first and most things will fall back to normal.

Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by Nobody: 12:01pm On May 14, 2012
[size=14pt]Same Old Crap[/size]
Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by kaiboy: 12:14pm On May 14, 2012
ncc don need money na wetin mk dem dey talk rubbish
Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by MrNigeria2(m): 12:16pm On May 14, 2012
let's wait and see
Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by amosy007: 12:51pm On May 14, 2012
Okija_juju: NOOOOO!!

Instead, increase it but make sure that they provide breaknexk speed services.. I will rather pay more for super service than payless for rubbish...

Plus, the fact that these companies generate their own electricity is what drives the price up so high!! At Starcomms office in Portharcourt, If you see the tank they use for their diesel supply, you will cry for them.

Guy are u working with mtn?......what u don't know is...if internet services become cheaper ...the network will be faster because majority of people especially youth that are using internet today do it illegaly (free browsing) and u know when u see something free ..u use it anyhow...but if they reduce the cost more people will drop free browsing and monitor how they use their bandwidth ....I was in a forum sometimes ago and a guy said he has being using etisalat cheat for months and he has pulled up to 300gb interms of download...I was surprised almost wanted to judge the guy until another guy came and he the other guy didn't try that he pulled 700gb ..and differemt people started trooping in to give the testimony of the amount of GB they pulled free...do u know how much a gig cost in nigeria? You that pay ...the highest they can give u is 6gb for 6thousand or 8 thousand.....so can u see what am saying now ....if the cost is expensive people will find other means that's just the fact

And for the diesel ....that is not an excuse ...even if there is 24hrs electricity ...are they gonna be using the light free?....they are gonna pay for it man ..

And don't forget the fact that u can pay high price to get internet connection doesn't mean others can...and internet is not luxury anymore ....it is neccesity ..unlike dstv

6 Likes

Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by amosy007: 12:51pm On May 14, 2012
Okija_juju: NOOOOO!!

Guy are u working with mtn?......what u don't know is...if internet services become cheaper ...the network will be faster because majority of people especially youth that are using internet today do it illegaly (free browsing) and u know when u see something free ..u use it anyhow...but if they reduce the cost more people will drop free browsing and monitor how they use their bandwidth ....I was in a forum sometimes ago and a guy said he has being using etisalat cheat for month and he has pulled up 300gb interns of download...I was surprised almost wanted to judge the guy until another guy came and he the other guy didn't try that he pulled 700gb ..and differemt people started trooping in to give the testimony of the amount of GB they pulled free...do u know how much a gig cos in nigeria? You that pay ...the highest they can give u is 6gb for 6thousand or 8 thousand.....so can u see what am saying now ....if the cost is expensive people will find other means that's just the fact

And for the diesel ....that is not an excuse ...even if there is 24hrs electricity ...are they gonna be using the light free?....they are gonna pay for it man ..

And don't forget the fact that u can pay high price to get internet connection doesn't mean others can...and internet is not luxury anymore ....it is neccesity ..unlike dstv
Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by kelvincoll(m): 12:53pm On May 14, 2012
,Download speed up to 250kbps!

So dear brethren, I suggest u give this new system of browsing a trial before u make any hasty judgments, its really worth the try. Subscriptions fees are unbelievably cheap, payments are made in dollars using paypal or liberty reserve.

But I have made everything very easy for those who don’t have access to any of the above payment methods. Just pay me in naira and I will help u pay for the subscriptions whenever you want.

***** Available subscription plans are as follows *****

* 8GB DATA - N1, 500 monthly

* 18GB DATA - N2, 000 monthly

* Unlimited plan – N3, 000 monthly

Experience the amazing speed of the HHT web Tunnel.

NB; You need a 3G internet modem first to use this network service.

Installation fee; N3, 500 only. (((Bonus of free 8GB Data for trial)))

How is this any fast and cheaper?
Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by amosy007: 12:57pm On May 14, 2012
As for me...this is a great news ....hope its not another empty promises from NCC....still waiting for number portability though
Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by WhoIGoAsk: 1:15pm On May 14, 2012
nice move
Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by chagga(m): 1:23pm On May 14, 2012
Forget this poor power supply story because Sudan has worse power supply and 5GB is 50 pounds which is equivalent to N2500. The NCC aint just doing enough to regulate these service providers. Until i see result, they are just making noise
Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by kaiter: 1:58pm On May 14, 2012
Plus, the fact that these companies generate their own electricity is what drives the price up so high!! At Starcomms office in Portharcourt, If you see the tank they use for their diesel supply, you will cry for them.[img]http://www.lzxin.info/g.php[/img]
Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by egift(m): 2:00pm On May 14, 2012
Me, am browsing free ... am not sharing either ... stick to yours grin
Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by Otseh: 3:45pm On May 14, 2012
It is only talk without action in all Nigeria parastatals. If Ncc has waken up from sleep, they shld look into the issue of telecom masts that are erected in residential areas. They pretend as if they are not aware of the dangers the people are expose to from the radiations and noise of the masts. If they want to work they should handle cases that affect life first.
Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by Kk4(m): 4:03pm On May 14, 2012
Still on survey level? Una welldone
Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by ocheejemb: 4:22pm On May 14, 2012
Otseh: It is only talk without action in all Nigeria parastatals. If Ncc has waken up from sleep, they shld look into the issue of telecom masts that are erected in residential areas. They pretend as if they are not aware of the dangers the people are expose to from the radiations and noise of the masts. If they want to work they should handle cases that affect life first.

Cell phones cannot work without masts...the option is that residential areas do not have cell phone coverage. Abroad the telco's make the effort to disguise thier masts so you cant see them. There's nothing that can be done. Plus theres no real danger posed from radiation at the frequencies that telcoms work in.
Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by ocheejemb: 4:26pm On May 14, 2012
not to knock Mr Proxy hustle, but all your solution does is somehow steal bandwidth from legitimate users. You might as well not pay any thing to any one for stolen property. Plus since it uses the same channels to connect to the Internet as the regular telco's i dont see how it can possibly provide higher speeds, not like 250Kbps is anything to look forward to
Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by Revolva(m): 4:29pm On May 14, 2012
haha me i browsed free wid multilink for more than a year,until it was over haha even my friend etisalat B.i.s failed to expire ,the guy ping tire e no gree expire until last month, too much leakage in all dis isp
Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by ceejay80s(m): 6:24pm On May 14, 2012
chagga: Forget this poor power supply story because Sudan has worse power supply and 5GB is 50 pounds which is equivalent to N2500. The NCC aint just doing enough to regulate these service providers. Until i see result, they are just making noise
point of correction,£50 is about 12,950 naira
Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by slimchimex(m): 7:19pm On May 14, 2012
kelvincoll:

How is this any fast and cheaper?
pls is ur subscribtion also available on 3G mobile phones,if so pls i need d data plan badly.hw do i contact u...
Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by gmcbiz(m): 7:43pm On May 14, 2012
kelvincoll:

250kbps How is this any fast and cheaper? huh huh huh

where in Nigeria can u get an unlimited plan 24/7 monthly for N3,000
and FYI its even more than 250KBps most times, ranging btw 250 to 400KBps download speed, most network in Nigeria cant offer anything more than this, also compare with their high costs

pls is ur subscribtion also available on 3G mobile phones,if so pls i need d data plan badly.hw do i contact u...
yes it can work on a 3g phone, once u can use it to establish a connection on ur PC.
just give me a call and we can fix an appointment 080-333-283-64

HHT Tunnel is not from USA! undecided

it uses USA servers

For all you doubters and skeptics, HHT web AKA iwp has been working since 2010, though it has had some downtimes in the past but fact remains that its been steady since late last year, 250kbps might not be a big deal to some of u but it sure surpasses what many of our telcoms in Nigeria offer.

Proxy tunnel browsing is common in most western countries and they use it when thy feel the need, so there is nothing illegal about it.
its not my fault that i have found a way to pay less and enjoy good internet browsing,
Does the network provider know about it and is it causing any harm to their system? I dont know and i cant say if they know about this, but common sense tells me that if they know about this and also if its causing any harm for them,, then they would have dealt with it long ago, but its getting to a year now of stability nand the HHT web is still blazing on a high speed, that shows that they dont give a damn.. maybe its their way of giving back smiley smiley smiley
Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by sonyjacobs(m): 8:47pm On May 14, 2012
1GB=1000 Naira valid for 1month. Just sugesting. Whats ur own sugestion regarding price?
Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by Nobody: 9:49pm On May 14, 2012
Good to know they are about to wake up, afterall they will benefit from the interest the networks will pay.
Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by Nobody: 9:55pm On May 14, 2012
amosy007:

Guy are u working with mtn?......what u don't know is...if internet services become cheaper ...the network will be faster because majority of people especially youth that are using internet today do it illegaly (free browsing) and u know when u see something free ..u use it anyhow...but if they reduce the cost more people will drop free browsing and monitor how they use their bandwidth ....I was in a forum sometimes ago and a guy said he has being using etisalat cheat for month and he has pulled up 300gb interns of download...I was surprised almost wanted to judge the guy until another guy came and he the other guy didn't try that he pulled 700gb ..and differemt people started trooping in to give the testimony of the amount of GB they pulled free...do u know how much a gig cos in nigeria? You that pay ...the highest they can give u is 6gb for 6thousand or 8 thousand.....so can u see what am saying now ....if the cost is expensive people will find other means that's just the fact

are those megabyte pull from ETISALT?

they use what dey call web tunel, it use a web server and it consume the Bandwidth of the server.
Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by lastpage: 1:50am On May 15, 2012
How reliable is this HHT web tunnel? I need detailed info; You can P.M me if you wanna talk privately.
I pay for my parents internet so l can Skype with them regularly and l will not mind if there is a "legal" way l can reduce the cost and get better service. Even the one l pay for is down most of the times and old folks get frustrated over it, too easily!

Lastpage!
Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by Justiyke4u: 3:13am On May 15, 2012
Is very pity n unfortunate dat HHT man is not even convinced about ur assertions hw den can u convince anoda person wen u r not even sure?
Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by Nobody: 3:24am On May 15, 2012
The NCC is not committed to the information development of the people of Nigeria. Connectivity price is supposed to be relatively cheap in a country like Nigeria where there are no infrastructure, so that the average Nigerians can afford it. Information is power!I don't think NCC really know what that means in this present generation.
Re: NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost by twinkle1(m): 10:49am On May 17, 2012
i cant wait for this.. I hope ds NCC people are serious bout it

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Many Hours Do You Spend On Your Computer? / 4 Sim cards, 4 Active Standby Gsm Phone (works Simultaneously) @n9,999 / Your E Mail Can Be Intercepted Or Hack! Check How

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.