Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,665 members, 7,816,715 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

Origin Of The Name Yoruba - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of The Name Yoruba (29455 Views)

A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / The Origin Of The Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 8:35am On Dec 24, 2014
blacko:
I understand ur claim the ruba word is mainly from the Hausa or Sudanese language it also may be from the old Malian language
Maybe just may be.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by TonySpike: 8:41am On Dec 24, 2014
I remember Fani-Kayode said Yoruba means oYO eRU oBA. That is, Oyo is slave to the king. How about that?
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by rabzy: 10:21am On Dec 24, 2014
MetaPhysical:

Kabiyesi,

Interesting!

Let us follow the footprints of the claims in your response and see where it would lead.

On the origin of Yoruba

1. Ahmed Baba (Malian) wrote an account on the Yorubas.
2. Sultan Bello said in his book "we are told".....so and so about Yorubas.
3. Samuel Johnson wrote in his book the statement made by Bello.

Before recklessly attributing Yo ba (a prefix for vulgarity) as the etymology of Yoruba, have pondered on the possibility that Ahmed Baba could have been a link in the upstream chain of transmitters of this knowledge? Did you bother to check if a record about Yoruba existed even before Ahmed Baba and how that record was preserved or transmitted?

Katunga or Katanga, I'm finding out, is Hausa word for wall. Oyo Ile was called Katunga because it was a walled city. Yorubas are not a people of wall even though they live in a walled city, so why would Hausa call us Katungawa or Katunga-bawa like you theorized? Ife was the origin and mother city of Yorubas and pre-existed Oyo-Ile. If Hausa called us Katungawa (people of the wall) in Oyo-Ile, then what did they call us in Ile-Ife, a non-walled city?

The guy has mentioned Ahmed Baba which dates before sultan bello, asking him to research further is asking him to what anyone else can also do, maybe he has done so and he hasnt seen any earlier reference. If there is, you can also do the search and enlighten everyone.

The Hausa first contact or major contact with the Yorubas is likely thru Oyo, you cant assume they know Ife, and if they have given the name Katungawa to the people they met in oyo, then they will use it for anyone who bears resemblance, traits and similar speech with the oyos. They wont bother whether you came from a valley, a walled or a riverine area, since you behave, believe and talk like the katungawas then you are a katungawa.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by rabzy: 10:32am On Dec 24, 2014
2prexios:

At what point did this slur become the magnificent phrase and next, so glorious for a conventional name or eponymous name with the Yoruba? So if we can think this superficial as to the origin of the origin of the name Yoruba, it is this same superficial minds that condemn the wise thought of others as crap.

Why was the slur the most magnificent of names for the people and,
How could Yoruba with repertoire of preciosity lose it at naming itself?

If a neighbor is going to call you by a name referencing what they hear you say often, they wont know nor mind if what you say is a slur word. The Romans called their neighbors barbarians because they always hear them say ba ba, the Hausas called Igbos 'yanmirin' because they often hear igbos say 'ye n miri' (give me water), the Igbos call yorubas Yoruba, because they hear a lot of Yoruba in their speech, the akus was derived from eku and aku used by the Yorubas, The Edos called the people that fled Benin due to tyranny 'Esan' i.e the runaways and that has become their name today.

So 'yoba furo e, yoba ya e' etc even though it is vulgar and annoying does not mean it cant be used by neighbors to create the tag yoruba.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 11:30am On Dec 24, 2014
When did we start to mix with these people that named us Yoruba? From which of the neighbours? Cos all can't start the name at once, just like that. Why was the slur their favorite? How often does the slur occur in everyday Yoruba sentences in time of old and, if Yoruba has been saying that, then their language is clear at that stage: what did they call themselves at that material time? Moreso, they should be able to trace yoba to misnomer of their own slang favoured by a particular group just as you do. Ibn Baba identified the Yoruba as ethnic name 500 years ago. The Hausa favoured Yarbawa, then if the name was imported from neighbours, it simply follows that Yoruba import their slur and 'Yorubarised' it. I dont believe Yoruba to be like that, its not in their character, cos they say 'oruko rere nii yeni, apeja nii yeniyan': that is, good name is deserving, a full prounciation of it is befitting. The Romans were named after Romulus that founded Rome. Shall we subscribe to the easy way out?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by rabzy: 12:10pm On Dec 24, 2014
2prexios:
When did we start to mix with these people that named us Yoruba? From which of the neighbours? Cos all can't start the name at once, just like that. Why was the slur their favorite? How often does the slur occur in everyday Yoruba sentences in time of old and, if Yoruba has been saying that, then their language is clear at that stage: what did they call themselves at that material time? Moreso, they should be able to trace yoba to misnomer of their own slang favoured by a particular group just as you do. Ibn Baba identified the Yoruba as ethnic name 500 years ago. The Hausa favoured Yarbawa, then if the name was imported from neighbours, it simply follows that Yoruba import their slur and 'Yorubarised' it. I dont believe Yoruba to be like that, its not in their character, cos they say 'oruko rere nii yeni, apeja nii yeniyan': that is, good name is deserving, a full prounciation of it is befitting. The Romans were named after Romulus that founded Rome. Shall we subscribe to the easy way out?

The answer to how the yoruba's came to be known as yorubas might have been totally lost to antiquity. There would be theories and conjectures and this would be analyzed. No one can say with utmost certainty that he or she is correct so all these are just for research and knowledge reasons. No one can have the answers to all the above questions just ideas and thoughts. A group of people can let their name be known to their neighbors and others can be named by their neighbors, some are even called different names by their neighbors. I know the Yorubas are called Zanama by the Esans, what it means i dont even know.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 3:51pm On Dec 24, 2014
rabzy:

The answer to how the yoruba's came to be known as yorubas might have been totally lost to antiquity. There would be theories and conjectures and this would be analyzed. No one can say with utmost certainty that he or she is correct so all these are just for research and knowledge reasons. No one can have the answers to all the above questions just ideas and thoughts. A group of people can let their name be known to their neighbors and others can be named by their neighbors, some are even called different names by their neighbors. I know the Yorubas are called Zanama by the Esans, what it means i dont even know.
You've a valid point, but the Yoruba have a system of architype and feedback. To get a root word and what it stand for, you have to look for synonyms and designate one architype and the other(s), feedback. Nothing happen in isolation and scholars of old dont use the same set of words.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 3:55pm On Dec 24, 2014
TonySpike:
I remember Fani-Kayode said Yoruba means oYO eRU oBA. That is, Oyo is slave to the king. How about that?
There is supremacy war inbetween, there you have Ife reply to the OluwoOni tradition.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by MetaPhysical: 3:00am On Dec 27, 2014
rabzy:

The guy has mentioned Ahmed Baba which dates before sultan bello, asking him to research further is asking him to what anyone else can also do, maybe he has done so and he hasnt seen any earlier reference. If there is, you can also do the search and enlighten everyone.

The Hausa first contact or major contact with the Yorubas is likely thru Oyo, you cant assume they know Ife, and if they have given the name Katungawa to the people they met in oyo, then they will use it for anyone who bears resemblance, traits and similar speech with the oyos. They wont bother whether you came from a valley, a walled or a riverine area, since you behave, believe and talk like the katungawas then you are a katungawa.

Rabzy,
Just few years ago I discovered the use of root words to decrypt sense and meanings in ancient tongues like Yoruba, and ever since I have uncovered a lot of treasures hidden in Yoruba tongue, language and culture.

On this topic I want us to focus on the root word YRB.

Use your imagination to twirl and toss YRB in variety of combinations to create a set of words, terms and ideas limited to the 7 Yoruba vowels a,e,e,i,o,o,u. Sorry I could not put diacritics where they belong, I do not have Yoruba keyboard installed on this phone.

Share with us what you come up with.
Thanks.

I want to add that in case the root YRB is not cooperating with you, use IRB instead.

Y and I in Yoruba are interchangeable if used broadly, ignoring the standard Yoruba dictum.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by PeterKbaba: 1:23pm On Dec 27, 2014
What about the translation of ile ife word Arugba!

Arugba is the Female Virgin that Carries the Secret Sacrifice in the Covenant Calabash to the River of the Goddess Osun,

A = The
Ru= Carry (On the Head)
iGba= Covenant Calabash

The Carrier Of The (Secret Sacrifice) Covenant Calabash.

So, Yoruba:

Yo Ru Ba

Yo Ru Igba

Gb= B

Yo= You Shall (Authoritative Word From God)
Ru= Carry
Igba = (Secret Sacrifice) Covenant Calabash

Yo Ru Igba = Yo Ru Ba = You shall carry the secret sacrifice of the covenant calabash.

Bible Scriptures: Zephaniah 3:10: From beyond the rivers of Ethiopia my suppliants, even the daughter of my dispersed, shall bring mine offering.

Just My 1 Cent
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 6:24pm On Dec 27, 2014
MetaPhysical:

Rabzy,
Just few years ago I discovered the use of root words to decrypt sense and meanings in ancient tongues like Yoruba, and ever since I have uncovered a lot of treasures hidden in Yoruba tongue, language and culture.

On this topic I want us to focus on the root word YRB.

Use your imagination to twirl and toss YRB in variety of combinations to create a set of words, terms and ideas limited to the 7 Yoruba vowels a,e,e,i,o,o,u. Sorry I could not put diacritics where they belong, I do not have Yoruba keyboard installed on this phone.

Share with us what you come up with.
Thanks.

I want to add that in case the root YRB is not cooperating with you, use IRB instead.

Y and I in Yoruba are interchangeable if used broadly, ignoring the standard Yoruba dictum.

baba,

Aku aseku odun o.

I want to suggest that if you can add syllabic approach to your linguistic worktool, you may be surprise at the vault of secrets that you will uncover, based on your quintessential linguistic genius. Why I say this is because we are at the same corridor, you me and peterkbaba, and the secret is not too far to find. Peterkbaba finds it easy to deviate, so he is not playing by any rule, he is not targeting the bull eye.

Meta, you are doing just that, but please incorporate "syllabic-syntax" in the process as you used to do in the past. For instance Yoruba is apparent in that approach: Yo-ru-ba, no more, no less. If you reduce it to consonants, it is not going to give us any sound, and don't forget that even alphabets are syllables in pronunciation, they are not pronounced as one word, most times.

It is this syllables that will form the meaning of the word, and afterwards, we need to verify if what we have really exist in another pristine form, so we look for another word with similar meaning and compare the contrast. One stands as archetype and the other, feedback. I'm dedicating this piece to you my metaphysical, the undying spirit. I respect you a lot my pal. So I give it up to you now.

Yoruba, as far as I'm concern mean Yo (bright) Ru (night) Ba (Ruler).
Put more aptly, Yoruba means the light that rule the night.

Well, my definition.
Christmas gift, friends.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by PeterKbaba: 1:59am On Dec 28, 2014
2prexios:

baba,

Aku aseku odun o.

I want to suggest that if you can add syllabic approach to your linguistic worktool, you may be surprise at the vault of secrets that you will uncover, based on your quintessential linguistic genius. Why I say this is because we are at the same corridor, you me and peterkbaba, and the secret is not too far to find. Peterkbaba finds it easy to deviate, so he is not playing by any rule, he is not targeting the bull eye.

Meta, you are doing just that, but please incorporate "syllabic-syntax" in the process as you used to do in the past. For instance Yoruba is apparent in that approach: Yo-ru-ba, no more, no less. If you reduce it to consonants, it is not going to give us any sound, and don't forget that even alphabets are syllables in pronunciation, they are not pronounced as one word, most times.

It is this syllables that will form the meaning of the word, and afterwards, we need to verify if what we have really exist in another pristine form, so we look for another word with similar meaning and compare the contrast. One stands as archetype and the other, feedback. I'm dedicating this piece to you my metaphysical, the undying spirit. I respect you a lot my pal. So I give it up to you now.

Well, my definition.
Christmas gift, friends.

From your analysis, what about:

Yo = Bright= Sun
Ru = Oru= Night
Ba = ba = Ruler

Sun that rule's the night.
Remember the Arab sign is the Moon and the European sign is the Star, while the black man sign is the Sun.

Therefore, the Yoruba's are either the Sun that once ruled the night (Arabs - Moon & Europeans - Stars) in the past. Meaning our forefathers gave us the name which tells a reminder story of our past before we arrived Nigeria or the Yoruba's (Sun) are destined to Rule the night (Arabs - Moon & Europeans - Stars) in the nearest FUTURE!!!
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by MetaPhysical: 2:51am On Dec 28, 2014
Mo ki gbgbo wa ku ala ja Odun yi, Edumare to da wa si to s'ike wa d'igba yi, ki o tun se alekun alafiya, okun ara, idunnu, ilo siwaju ati isegun fun wa, amin ase!

Prexios, how you dey my brother? Peterk, i throw salute, alaiye Tony eku afere yoi o, 9ja crips i share heart warming wishes with you, tpia ire akari o ayo ni o! Lol!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by MetaPhysical: 3:25am On Dec 28, 2014
I begin today with a little deviation away from the subject under discussion and touching on the subject of creation and some other sundries that concretely establishes Yoruba as a Biblical people but even more than that, places Yoruba at the confluence of creation and dispersal of tongues,

As far as Europeans are concerned, Yoruba belief that Ile Ife is the cradle of mankind is nothing but a conjecture and myth.

There are Yorubas that are just as blind in the creation story of Ife. When you ask if Ife and Eve are not the same, one a corruption of the other, they snap and view the idea as a backdoor attempt to link Yoruba with Semitic.

Ask the European where they got "LIFE" from....what phenomenon evolved into the mundane and gave them the word LIFE?

How did ORBIT, ROUND and RUGGED become a part of English vernarcular? These are all Yoruba words.

I touched on this in the past using the subject-syntax exercise suggested by prexios.

Rabata
Rebete
Repete
Ribiti
Roboto
Oropoto
Rubutu

Here I have conveyed the idea of roundness in its solid, hollow, cyclic, centric, centrifugal and centripetal forms and did so using the Yoruba tongue and the seven vowels a,e,e,i,o,o,u.

I shall use this same exercise to unravel the meaning of Yoruba, using the root YRB and IRB, This is not the time for that, we still have some underlyimg understanding to uncover before we get to YRB.

Speaking of uncover, SALOME is a traditional and ancient Yoruba name. Does anyone know what Salome means or where it came from?

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by MetaPhysical: 5:26am On Dec 28, 2014
Sorry guys, i had neighborhood friends drop in on their own chosen schedule. Lol.

Prexios so what is "RU" in Yoruba?

PeterKbaba:

From your analysis, what about:

Yo = Bright= Sun
Ru = Oru= Night
Ba = ba = Ruler

Sun that rule's the night.
Remember the Arab sign is the Moon and the European sign is the Star, while the black man sign is the Sun.

Therefore, the Yoruba's are either the Sun that once ruled the night (Arabs - Moon & Europeans - Stars) in the past. Meaning our forefathers gave us the name which tells a reminder story of our past before we arrived Nigeria or the Yoruba's (Sun) are destined to Rule the night (Arabs - Moon & Europeans - Stars) in the nearest FUTURE!!!

There is no doubt Yoruba was a supremacist nd colonist in past.

I think the RU is altar!
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 6:19am On Dec 28, 2014
MetaPhysical:
Sorry guys, i had neighborhood friends drop in on their own chosen schedule. Lol.

Prexios so what is "RU" in Yoruba?

There is no doubt Yoruba was a supremacist nd colonist in past.

I think the RU is altar!
Bros me, you are right o, but my tot is, it is an oriki of the same sort as 'Olokiki Oru'. It is the same idea that some brilliant ancient wordsmith made to 'midnite britening monarch'. Ancient Yoruba had scholars, maybe they were responsible for all Yoruba keywords. As to RU, riru ebo, I think it is the process of 'carrying' the ebo that is 'ru'. But when you say 'A bo RU bo Ye o! RU is identical with Ye. RU-BO is BO-RU, BO-YE. To bo Ye is to make sacrifice to Ye. Then study the response of the priest: A bo Ye bo Sise o.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by MetaPhysical: 3:05pm On Dec 28, 2014
2prexios:
Bros me, you are right o, but my tot is, it is an oriki of the same sort as 'Olokiki Oru'. It is the same idea that some brilliant ancient wordsmith made to 'midnite britening monarch'. Ancient Yoruba had scholars, maybe they were responsible for all Yoruba keywords. As to RU, riru ebo, I think it is the process of 'carrying' the ebo that is 'ru'. But when you say 'A bo RU bo Ye o! RU is identical with Ye. RU-BO is BO-RU, BO-YE. To bo Ye is to make sacrifice to Ye. Then study the response of the priest: A bo Ye bo Sise o.

Exactly!
So then, what is ebo? Why do we give an offering at all?
You are creeping up on something..
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by MetaPhysical: 3:26pm On Dec 28, 2014
On the distinction between the Sun and the moon. Remember in the Yoruba cosmos, there is a principle of duality. Visualize Sun and Moon in terms of the duality present in the Land of the Living and Land of the Dead!

Sun is the principal deity of the living consciousness.
There are other stars in the day time but are not visible to the naked eye.

Moon is the principal deity of the living "unconsciousness".

The Sun guide our outward actions - will, and the Moon guide our inner feelings - mood.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 6:37pm On Dec 28, 2014
Absolutely. The Yoruba are aware of the sun and if they choose to allude to it they can. They have a concept that says Irawo osan ti bagba l'eru, that is, there are symbolic afternoon stars. But as to Yoruba, they were saying 'beacon in the dark' or ObaYoRu, that is, ruler of midnight brightness. The light that rule other starlets, so to speak. We have a great name. I'm proud to be Yoruba.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 7:15pm On Dec 28, 2014
MetaPhysical:

Exactly!
So then, what is ebo? Why do we give an offering at all?
You are creeping up on something..
Thanks baba. You know you subscribe to Noa, I subscribe to Abraham. The name Ebora is Yoruba version of Abram. It is only in Hebrew culture that you have ebo (sacrifice) central to a peoples existence, as you have it in Yoruba. Ebo is offer, Irubo or Ibo is offering, something (food) you give in anticipation of favour. When Abraham offered ebo, birds came to feed on it, likewise Yoruba will say 'bi a ko ba rigun, a ko gbodo sebo'. Ebo is what you give to the ancestors to receive their favour. If the ebo vanish-Ebora, then it is said 'Ebo fin, Ebo gba, ire wa de Orun'. Ebo is the ancient Yorubas way of saying their prayer. Riru Ebo Ni Gbeni.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by MetaPhysical: 5:00am On Dec 29, 2014
2prexios:
Thanks baba. You know you subscribe to Noa, I subscribe to Abraham. The name Ebora is Yoruba version of Abram. It is only in Hebrew culture that you have ebo (sacrifice) central to a peoples existence, as you have it in Yoruba. Ebo is offer, Irubo or Ibo is offering, something (food) you give in anticipation of favour. When Abraham offered ebo, birds came to feed on it, likewise Yoruba will say 'bi a ko ba rigun, a ko gbodo sebo'. Ebo is what you give to the ancestors to receive their favour. If the ebo vanish-Ebora, then it is said 'Ebo fin, Ebo gba, ire wa de Orun'. Ebo is the ancient Yorubas way of saying their prayer. Riru Ebo Ni Gbeni.

Lmao! Thats very true, my obsession with Noa is endless!

You have hit the nail on its head and truly this is the root of the name Yoruba. You provided the skeletal version, I will add meat to it.

Yoruba has no religion. Ifa and Orisa are our culture and sprout with our origin.

We believe in one Supreme Being from which emanated the divinity of deities.

There is creativity, that which the Supreme Being spoke or caused to BE. There is divinity, that which was before creations.

So in creation itself there were witnesses or aids or chaperons or ushers or handlers....whatever suits our imagination to call them.

The divine class is the target of EBO. So that when we offer EBO we do so in supplication for their aid and their guide and their love.

But why even make the offering at all? Their aid and guide and love for what...why?

Because Ori was created, and Ori exists in a malevolent realm and Ori is blind. In order for Ori to see he must have a guide, an aid and the love of benevolence.

So Ori needs a diviner and the diviner is who Yoruba call ARABA.

We have lost many ancient words with origin in the Yoruba language...fortunately ARABA is still with us.

Araba is the master diviner
Irubo is the act of offering
Atan or Aton is the altar dedicated for giving the offering
Ebo is the offering itself.

How did all these end in a people coming to be known and called YORUBA?

The livelihood of Yoruba in its birth, life and death stages is enshrined in IRUBO.

The name AKU stuck on us because every motion and stillness of a Yoruba society is expressed as an AKU moment. We never miss an opportunity to AKU-something. AKU is our time clock for recognising state of motion and inertia. We therefore can call it our statement of ENERGY in the universal rule that energy is never created but changes state and form. ...whether it is kinetic or stationary.

Eku Irin, Eku Ijoko, Eku Ise, Eku Isimi....

Araba is not a borrowed word, it is authentic Yoruba word. Yoruba is derivative of Araba, meaning those who divine. So what is the etymology of ARABA and why is this important?

Repeatedly through the ages and from credible sources in oral and written history it is established that the foundation for the Kaaba was laid by Abraham. It was an altar for sacrificing to the divine. This was before Judaism, which came when Children of Israel were given faith through Moses, who was of the lineage of diviners. Moses' brother, Aaron, was the Chief Priest of the people and from him the articles of faith and the creed of altar worship and blood offering evolved to become a faith.

So Aaron was a Master Diviner, Abraham was a Master Diviner, Noah was a Master Diviner. In fact Noah was perharps the first instructed on animal and blood sacrifice on the altar.

These were all Semitic people, or so we believe. Master Diviner in their tongue is called Rabbi.

Master Diviner in Yoruba is called Araba.

Yoruba would have been in its original something close to Araba, such as Ya'Raba, the followers of Araba or the People of Divination.

Araba, Rabbi, Arab, Yoruba, are all the same lineage in form and meaning.

To truly drive this home and drop a bombshell that for a long time I have restrained myself from bringing up in here, I would like to take all the readers and observers in here back to the Yoruba oral roots.

First, I would like my Muslim and Christian readers to please have an open mind here. This is not a religious discussion, it is strictly an exploration into the culture and meaning of Yoruba and I am not able to fully unveil and demistify the knowledge without touching on subjects very dear and close to your faith and heart. This is not a disrespect or lack of belief, I believe in Oneness of God as taught and practiced in Yoruba philosophy and I also believe in the divinity of his Highness. So bear with me brothers and sisters.

The tradition that Yoruba came out of Midian is true, and it is a fact that the Kaaba in Mecca is a shrine that housed an altar which at one time before Judaism, Christianity and Islam, belonged to Yoruba diviners who housed their objects of deity worship in it and offered their sacrifices in it.

I asked if any Yoruba know where the Yoruba name Salome came from. No one has yet answered this question. How about Gebu, anyone know where it came from? Dawuda, Apata, Gebu, Salome...all authentic Yoruba names used culturally long before we knew Islam or Christianity...and yet are all present in the Bible. How is it possible?

Many people still believe that Arabic or Semitic sounding terms in Yoruba language are non-origin and were results of assimilation from our closeness and sharing border territory with Hausa. I started to expose authentic Yoruba names and terms that are cognate with Semitic tongue and for which no equivalence exist in Hausa language. I would like here now to stretch the expose further and let Yoruba take pride in their own origin and authenticity.

At a time when world order revolved around Babylonia and Egypt and Mesopotamia, Yoruba was a Supreme power and colonist in Afro Asia. Yoruba left and relocated after loosing power and influence and refusing to conform to a new world order that emerged behind it.

Ifa was a progeny of the Abrahamic faiths and the Yoruba cultural rituals is the legacy which founded Islamic prayers.

In Mecca, shortly before the beginning of the ordained Hajj they have a period they call Umrah. Loosely it is called lesser Hajj but technically it was meant as a cushion window between the material and the spiritual
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by MetaPhysical: 5:03am On Dec 29, 2014
I just lost a content as long as this post and talking about Kaaba, Islam and many other things that are very fascinating and revealing. Well, i guess God does not want me to share those itema yet...so I will stop here for now. Lol.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by MetaPhysical: 7:31am On Dec 29, 2014
Here are some of the questions I raised in the lost post.

1. Hajj is a visitation or a journey tha takes one away from home for a period of time and is Arabic.

Ajo is a journey away from home for a period of time and is Yoruba.

2. Umrah is preparation or readiness for the spiritual Hajj ordained as a tenet in Islam.

Imura is the Yoruba word for preparation or readiness to enter or begin an act.

3. During Hajj pilgrims entering the sanctuary called Bayt Allah shave all body hair, men shave the head in addition, and wrap a white loin cloth around the body to perform circumambulation of the Kaaba.

Ifa initiates, in particular Obatala devotees, shave head and are wrapped in white loin clothe as they entrr into the shrine.

These rituals are corresponding. Is there a connection between Bayt Allah and Obatala?

4. Kaaba is derived from Kaab, meaning in Arabic, a position of grandeur, honor, prestige and glory.

Yoruba say Kaabiyesi to a King in grandeur, honor and prestige.

5. Muslims are enjoined to face qiblah when worshipping in prayer. In other words, face towards the Kaaba to worship Allah.

Ojubo in Yoruba is literally the center or facing of the altar where offering is sacrificed to the divinities.

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by MetaPhysical: 7:56am On Dec 29, 2014
6. At the entrance to the Kaaba is a black stone. It is a laterite rock.

Why is this stone at the entrance to Kaaba? Well, it is explained very well in Yoruba culture.

In Yoruba divinity Esu Elegbara is the gatekeeper and interlocutor between divinity and humanity. He is the one thst opens doors so Ori can access the portal, matrix, womb, and partake in divine blessings. Esu is the access to salvation.

Christians, take note...nobody goes through the divine father except through Esu!

Muslims, pay attention...El, Ala, are Yoruba denotes for Allah. El - God, Agbara - Greatness or Powerful. What do you say when you praise God as the Greatest or Most Powerful? You say Allahu Akbar!

Gebar, Gebur is Semitic for Greatness or Most Powerful.
This is where the name Gabrel came from. The Yoruba equivalent is Gebu.

Yoruba associate Esu with laterite rock...and in every shrine of Esu in Yorubaland there is a laterite black stone sitting in there....just as a black stone is mounted at the entrance to the Kaaba.

There is more to discuss on this topic of finding the meaning of Yoruba andthe root of its origin and it cannot all be covered in here. I do want to say to those who are ignorant of the knowledge that Yoruba is a progeny ofthe Abrahamic faiths. Muhammed (May Peace and Blessings of Allah be with him) did not approve of heretical practice but I doubt that he was against Ifa practice considering that all the rituals of Islamic worship took their roots in Ifa principles and the habits of worshipping divinities in and around Mecca.

Im stopping here for now.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by MetaPhysical: 8:09am On Dec 29, 2014
Before signing out I consider it very important that i again ask for forgiveness if i offend anyone's faith or belief system. Im only pointing to the root of my own culture and finding truth and pride in its greatness.

Noah, Abraham, Moses, Aaron, Jesus, Mohammed, were all Arabas and they divined.

Yoruba stuck on us because we are the true progeny of the line of Noah, a people of divination.

Arabs will supplicate to God and say Ya Rabb or Ya Rabbi. Well, Rabb or Rabbi is not one of the names or attributes of Allah. So who is Rabb?

Irubo - divine grace!

Edumare a fun wa se o, mo ki gbogbo wa ku odun!

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 5:44pm On Dec 30, 2014
MetaPhysical:
Before signing out I consider it very important that i again ask for forgiveness if i offend anyone's faith or belief system. Im only pointing to the root of my own culture and finding truth and pride in its greatness.

Noah, Abraham, Moses, Aaron, Jesus, Mohammed, were all Arabas and they divined.

Yoruba stuck on us because we are the true progeny of the line of Noah, a people of divination.

Arabs will supplicate to God and say Ya Rabb or Ya Rabbi. Well, Rabb or Rabbi is not one of the names or attributes of Allah. So who is Rabb?

Irubo - divine grace!

Edumare a fun wa se o, mo ki gbogbo wa ku odun!

Beautiful piece metaphysical, but I'm wondering it seems we have a running battle, if I drop the Hebrew card, you drop the Arab card too. The words of 9jacrip and macof seems to haunt me, to 9jacrip, why must our history be used to promote the Arab stories? To macof: the christian Yorubas are writing Yoruba history with christian turn of mind, the muslims, with muslim turn of mind.

My only inspiration is simply that, they have their own angle too, nobody is neutral. But then, I also stand with Yoruba tradition because its pro-migration, pro-creation and not pro-evolution. I believe the Yoruba tradition needs nobody to lean on to stand, Arab o, Hebrew o, "ife lo wa n'be ta nbore jeko, tile oge to gee je"

Lets look at Kabiyesi, it means ka bi e si, "to question him not available" is it what Kaaba mean? the closest word to Kaaba in Yoruba is Akaba, except Kaba in Kogi state. Was kaaba significant in Yoruba history? There have to be more cogent point for that o.

As touching Esu, you did a great job sir. The problem with yoruba history is lack of documentation. But the stunner is that you spell it out as Elegbara. Esu is someebody's name. It was the name given to the matriarch of Yoruba by people who want to vilify her as evil. Look at this one

Efunsetan: Evil Seitan

Elegbara on the other hand is one who saved the congregation, so one mans saviour is another mans hero. The Yoruba knew evil as a word from old, efun, they know the word Satan, sata, sota. Ota is Yoruba word for enemy, and its also a word for places in Yoruba.

Now to combine the two word, the Yoruba will say, ko besu b'egba. Egba is another word for Esu, Esu is not necessarily evil, but a variant form of Odu or Su as in dark. So we can not always see the Esu in Yoruba history as you have it in Scriptures.

Ifa priests are disciples of Esu, that is the dark skinned, she is the mother superior of their institution at the beginning of Yoruba empire.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by MetaPhysical: 9:16am On Dec 31, 2014
2prexios:

Beautiful piece metaphysical, but I'm wondering it seems we have a running battle, if I drop the Hebrew card, you drop the Arab card too.

Lol. Im beginning to think we should discriminate by saying the ancient occupants of Canaan, the ancient occupiers of the land of Midian, the original owners of Mecca or Kaaba, the occupants of the Jerusalem temples...rather than saying Hebrews and Arabs.

The denotion American is a perfect example, Who is American, the European settlers, the African settlers, or the native Indians? You cannot find one trace of native American Indian land in Georgia or Florida, from wherw they were relocated in the famous trail of tears to be resettled in Oklahoma. Even in Oklahoma a deliberate act of white-out has caused their legacy to change hands and Caucasians are the new Indians in Oklahoma. The Indian was the original and native American. Those who today answer as Americans are indeed citizens, not natives, of America.

Left to me Im almost concluding that Yoruba was originally an Arab and the one out of which the Arab culture itself evolved. By analogy, Yoruba is the native Arab, those who answer Arab today are citizens, not natives of, Arabia.

My only contention is that the evolution occured in Afro Asia, in other words Yoruba started elsewhere and settled in Ile-Ife at a later age, as opposed to the reverse. Which would mean Yoruba name was not given to us in our new settlement but instead followed with us from origin to settlement. In that case only those intimate with our culture and race and had knowledge of who were in our ancient land knew to call us Yoruba and also taught to those who did not know the identity of our race.

This makes sense why Ahmad Baba and the Malian scholars and the Andalusian Sufis knew and wrote of us as Yorubas, the people of or the race of Lamarudu (Nimrod) and because the Lingua Franca of the Sudan was Ajami, this name identity was repeated in the narratives of Sultan Bello and interpreted to Clapperton and Landers, from where it found its way to the missionaries and in turn retold in the revised version of Samuel Johnson's book. Our neighbors on the other hand knew of and called us the people of walled city (katunga) or the greeters (Aku) because they were not fully informed of our origin and journey....nonetheless regardless of their knowledge of our history and background, everyone in the West African belt agreed that Yorubas were foreigners!

The words of 9jacrip and macof seems to haunt me, to 9jacrip, why must our history be used to promote the Arab stories? To macof: the christian Yorubas are writing Yoruba history with christian turn of mind, the muslims, with muslim turn of mind.

Depends on whether 9jacrip accepts the modern Arabs as the native Arabs or simply as citizens of Arabia. Lol.

A set of knowledge is maturing in Yorubaland and Yoruba diaspora. Yoruba diaspora had recognized long ago and merged Christian ideologies and creeds into their Ifa practice and removed the confusion that we in Yorubaland are struggling with.

Cubans and Brazilians and Perto Ricans know instinctively that Jesus is same character as Esu.

If it were possible to teach Yoruba muslims that Alhaji and Alejo are same thing and Umrah and Imura are cognates, more importantly that the laterite stone at the entrance to the Kaaba is symbolically the same as the one at the entrance of any Esu shrine in Yorubaland then we begin to recognize a new mindset in our muslims in their visit and return from pilgrimage. They will no longer see Hajj as an elite social status but instead recognise it as the stage of atonement to reunite and reconcile matter.with spirit. In other words, Alhajis and Alhajas will see the light and come to understanding that the Hajj pilgrimage ia nothing more than IRUBO and the Kaaba is the shrine containing in it an altar or OJUBO (the point faced for offering)....the qiblah which Islam requires everyone to face when worshipping.

You cannot enter the BaytAllah (sanctuary of Allah) without first passing through the entrance door, but the significance of that door is the black stone, the symbol of Esu. Literally, Esu is the sentry or divinity through which we must first pass in order to approach God.

So what is BaytAllah and what is Obatala?

In Bible Christians say no one comes to the father but through the son. Who is the son? They said Jesus.

Even if we are numb to intellect and could not see the correlation of Esu and Jesus being one and the same we should pick up on the fundamentals of the rituals and instantly accept the two as one person or divinity.

The primary tenet of Christianity is the Trinity. Well, the fundamental tenet of Esu worship is Orita Meta (the three crossroads). The space formed by a lay line of the crossroads is an eye called the portal or vortice...a very strong energy point. The trigonometric construction of the planery crossroads is what gave rise to the Christian Cross.

So something is rising in Yorubaland that will unite all these knowledge and a time will come when the world will again become students of Yoruba civilization and come to us for knowledge about their own humanity.

For centuries there was a separation between Ifa and Western scholarships. Westerners are studying in Ifa and they are getting obsessive. Similarly, custodians of Ifa knowledge are also encouraging their descendants to get Western education.

Im a certified IT Communicatiin professional and with 15yrs experience, yet I still need the use of a tool to calculate IP subnetting. Ifa diviners subnet innately with no problem and they dont even recognize it as a vital branch of knowledge in computing.

Imagine a child raised in Ifa background and who goes to study Computing, he will understand the basic structure of binary and octets effortlessly because he is in his element.

We must encourage that, we must subscribe to that new Yoruba evolution. We do so by breaking down the inaccuracies and lies and unveil the truth.

Let me move on my brother...

My only inspiration is simply that, they have their own angle too, nobody is neutral. But then, I also stand with Yoruba tradition because its pro-migration, pro-creation and not pro-evolution. I believe the Yoruba tradition needs nobody to lean on to stand, Arab o, Hebrew o, "ife lo wa n'be ta nbore jeko, tile oge to gee je"

Yes, the Yoruba tradition is durable and reformative, it sustains and spins off in new direction when threatened by impending calamity. This is why we still have Yoruba today and Ifa has not died, even though so many other ancient practices have been subsumed or killed off by new orders and faiths. Again, a time is emerging when Judaism, Christianity and Islam will fold back into Ifa. Each of them is going through cleansing and when they each attain their breakpoint everyone loose faith and their humanity and are forced to abandon logic and return to instinct. At that point of rebirth for humanity Ifa would have significant meaning for mankind.

Lets look at Kabiyesi, it means ka bi e si, "to question him not available" is it what Kaaba mean? the closest word to Kaaba in Yoruba is Akaba, except Kaba in Kogi state. Was kaaba significant in Yoruba history? There have to be more cogent point for that o.

To question who You forget Oba is "igba keji Orisa"!
So all attributes to the King will not contain terms like question, whether in the positive or negative order.

Look, lets go back with our imagination to Mecca itself and visualize the Kaaba in its pre Islamic days.and.picture Yorubas in and around the shrine. Its worship time and everyone is gathered to do what to the idols? To prostrate and kneel.and bow. Well, is this not the same manner we greet when we gather around an Oba, who is second in command to the divinity or deity in the Kaaba?

The word Kaaba is a set. We have lost them, even the Kaaba is not in our posession. The only one we have left, like the Araba...is Kaabiyesi, akaba.

If we hold Kaabiyesi to be a position of highness, a higher pedestal above others, and Kaaba as meaning honor, greatness, then Akaba is a part of that word-set.

I will suspect the place we go to give honor to God the Greatest (divinity) is the Kaaba
The person above us we honor is Kaabiyesi
The tool we use to move to a higher elevation is Akaba.

As touching Esu, you did a great job sir. The problem with yoruba history is lack of documentation. But the stunner is that you spell it out as Elegbara. Esu is someebody's name. It was the name given to the matriarch of Yoruba by people who want to vilify her as evil. Look at this one

Efunsetan: Evil Seitan

Elegbara on the other hand is one who saved the congregation, so one mans saviour is another mans hero. The Yoruba knew evil as a word from old, efun, they know the word Satan, sata, sota. Ota is Yoruba word for enemy, and its also a word for places in Yoruba.

Now to combine the two word, the Yoruba will say, ko besu b'egba. Egba is another word for Esu, Esu is not necessarily evil, but a variant form of Odu or Su as in dark. So we can not always see the Esu in Yoruba history as you have it in Scriptures.

Ifa priests are disciples of Esu, that is the dark skinned, she is the mother superior of their institution at the beginning of Yoruba empire.

I think you meant that the role of Esu was misinterpreted and revised with biased outcome. If Esu had not been changed we would never have accepted Jesus who the white man had taught around the world to others who were unfamiliar with Esu. If Yoruba stuck to Esu as his savior, then white man would have had to kill all of us off and erase any knowledge of Esu or make a second trip around the world revising and substituting Esu for Jesus.

Esu was indigenous to us. His new role is what is foreign to us. We have always had the beaded crowns on our land, its part of our ancient heritage and each crown has the face of Esu on it. Its no different than the Pope wearing the insignia of Jesus on his robe.

God Bless.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 6:21pm On Dec 31, 2014
MetaPhysical:

Lol. Im beginning to think we should discriminate by saying the ancient occupants of Canaan, the ancient occupiers of the land of Midian, the original owners of Mecca or Kaaba, the occupants of the Jerusalem temples...rather than saying Hebrews and Arabs.

The denotion American is a perfect example, Who is American, the European settlers, the African settlers, or the native Indians? You cannot find one trace of native American Indian land in Georgia or Florida, from wherw they were relocated in the famous trail of tears to be resettled in Oklahoma. Even in Oklahoma a deliberate act of white-out has caused their legacy to change hands and Caucasians are the new Indians in Oklahoma. The Indian was the original and native American. Those who today answer as Americans are indeed citizens, not natives, of America.

Left to me Im almost concluding that Yoruba was originally an Arab and the one out of which the Arab culture itself evolved. By analogy, Yoruba is the native Arab, those who answer Arab today are citizens, not natives of, Arabia.

how many people can vouch for this o cheesy

My only contention is that the evolution occured in Afro Asia, in other words Yoruba started elsewhere and settled in Ile-Ife at a later age, as opposed to the reverse. Which would mean Yoruba name was not given to us in our new settlement but instead followed with us from origin to settlement. In that case only those intimate with our culture and race and had knowledge of who were in our ancient land knew to call us Yoruba and also taught to those who did not know the identity of our race.

then we've been Yoruba all along, not Arab

This makes sense why Ahmad Baba and the Malian scholars and the Andalusian Sufis knew and wrote of us as Yorubas, the people of or the race of Lamarudu (Nimrod) and because the Lingua Franca of the Sudan was Ajami, this name identity was repeated in the narratives of Sultan Bello and interpreted to Clapperton and Landers, from where it found its way to the missionaries and in turn retold in the revised version of Samuel Johnson's book. Our neighbors on the other hand knew of and called us the people of walled city (katunga) or the greeters (Aku) because they were not fully informed of our origin and journey....nonetheless regardless of their knowledge of our history and background, everyone in the West African belt agreed that Yorubas were foreigners!

We need a build around tradition of this Lamurudu in Yoruba oral tradition, or else we will always be grateful to these people who told us we are from Lamurudu.

Depends on whether 9jacrip accepts the modern Arabs as the native Arabs or simply as citizens of Arabia. Lol.

A set of knowledge is maturing in Yorubaland and Yoruba diaspora. Yoruba diaspora had recognized long ago and merged Christian ideologies and creeds into their Ifa practice and removed the confusion that we in Yorubaland are struggling with.

Cubans and Brazilians and Perto Ricans know instinctively that Jesus is same character as Esu.

If it were possible to teach Yoruba muslims that Alhaji and Alejo are same thing and Umrah and Imura are cognates, more importantly that the laterite stone at the entrance to the Kaaba is symbolically the same as the one at the entrance of any Esu shrine in Yorubaland then we begin to recognize a new mindset in our muslims in their visit and return from pilgrimage. They will no longer see Hajj as an elite social status but instead recognise it as the stage of atonement to reunite and reconcile matter.with spirit. In other words, Alhajis and Alhajas will see the light and come to understanding that the Hajj pilgrimage ia nothing more than IRUBO and the Kaaba is the shrine containing in it an altar or OJUBO (the point faced for offering)....the qiblah which Islam requires everyone to face when worshipping.

You cannot enter the BaytAllah (sanctuary of Allah) without first passing through the entrance door, but the significance of that door is the black stone, the symbol of Esu. Literally, Esu is the sentry or divinity through which we must first pass in order to approach God.

So what is BaytAllah and what is Obatala?

In Bible Christians say no one comes to the father but through the son. Who is the son? They said Jesus.

Even if we are numb to intellect and could not see the correlation of Esu and Jesus being one and the same we should pick up on the fundamentals of the rituals and instantly accept the two as one person or divinity.

Esu and Jesus are not identical, my brother, except you have to make it a dogma. Esu and Jesus as saviour have some things in common: Esu/Esua, that's Yoruba saviour who was a woman, Jesus/Yeshua, a Jew who establish Christianity. Can we merge it?

The primary tenet of Christianity is the Trinity. Well, the fundamental tenet of Esu worship is Orita Meta (the three crossroads). The space formed by a lay line of the crossroads is an eye called the portal or vortice...a very strong energy point. The trigonometric construction of the planery crossroads is what gave rise to the Christian Cross.

So something is rising in Yorubaland that will unite all these knowledge and a time will come when the world will again become students of Yoruba civilization and come to us for knowledge about their own humanity.

For centuries there was a separation between Ifa and Western scholarships. Westerners are studying in Ifa and they are getting obsessive. Similarly, custodians of Ifa knowledge are also encouraging their descendants to get Western education.

Im a certified IT Communicatiin professional and with 15yrs experience, yet I still need the use of a tool to calculate IP subnetting. Ifa diviners subnet innately with no problem and they dont even recognize it as a vital branch of knowledge in computing.

Imagine a child raised in Ifa background and who goes to study Computing, he will understand the basic structure of binary and octets effortlessly because he is in his element.

We must encourage that, we must subscribe to that new Yoruba evolution. We do so by breaking down the inaccuracies and lies and unveil the truth.

Let me move on my brother...

Yes, the Yoruba tradition is durable and reformative, it sustains and spins off in new direction when threatened by impending calamity. This is why we still have Yoruba today and Ifa has not died, even though so many other ancient practices have been subsumed or killed off by new orders and faiths. Again, a time is emerging when Judaism, Christianity and Islam will fold back into Ifa. Each of them is going through cleansing and when they each attain their breakpoint everyone loose faith and their humanity and are forced to abandon logic and return to instinct. At that point of rebirth for humanity Ifa would have significant meaning for mankind.

To question who You forget Oba is "igba keji Orisa"!
So all attributes to the King will not contain terms like question, whether in the positive or negative order.

Look, lets go back with our imagination to Mecca itself and visualize the Kaaba in its pre Islamic days.and.picture Yorubas in and around the shrine. Its worship time and everyone is gathered to do what to the idols? To prostrate and kneel.and bow. Well, is this not the same manner we greet when we gather around an Oba, who is second in command to the divinity or deity in the Kaaba?

The word Kaaba is a set. We have lost them, even the Kaaba is not in our posession. The only one we have left, like the Araba...is Kaabiyesi, akaba.

If we hold Kaabiyesi to be a position of highness, a higher pedestal above others, and Kaaba as meaning honor, greatness, then Akaba is a part of that word-set.

I will suspect the place we go to give honor to God the Greatest (divinity) is the Kaaba
The person above us we honor is Kaabiyesi
The tool we use to move to a higher elevation is Akaba.

I think you meant that the role of Esu was misinterpreted and revised with biased outcome. If Esu had not been changed we would never have accepted Jesus who the white man had taught around the world to others who were unfamiliar with Esu. If Yoruba stuck to Esu as his savior, then white man would have had to kill all of us off and erase any knowledge of Esu or make a second trip around the world revising and substituting Esu for Jesus.

Esu was indigenous to us. His new role is what is foreign to us. We have always had the beaded crowns on our land, its part of our ancient heritage and each crown has the face of Esu on it. Its no different than the Pope wearing the insignia of Jesus on his robe.

God Bless.

Happy new year, big bros, prepare to be king of Yoruba supremacy club smiley
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 6:31pm On Dec 31, 2014
*Esua/ Eshua:

That is the name for the first composer of Eyo song, called Aro Eyo, that is, the Lamentations of Eyo. The singers of Aro Eyo normally end their chant with the name "Eshua!" in praise of Eyo. The true Eyo is identical with Olori Olugbani of Lagos tradition. Eyo Ile Ola.

Eyo je kin boba gb'ade dele
kin bo ba de'ga, Eyo Oba.

EyoOba
YoOba.

Yooba.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by PeterKbaba: 1:45pm On Jan 01, 2015
2prexios:
*Esua/ Eshua:

That is the name for the first composer of Eyo song, called Aro Eyo, that is, the Lamentations of Eyo. The singers of Aro Eyo normally end their chant with the name "Eshua!" in praise of Eyo. The true Eyo is identical with Olori Olugbani of Lagos tradition. Eyo Ile Ola.

Eyo je kin boba gb'ade dele
kin bo ba de'ga, Eyo Oba.

EyoOba
YoOba.

Yooba.

Emi ni seti seti, ni iwaju ogun seti seti,
Mo gba abara meta,
Mo lokan gbo, Mo lokan gba, Mo lokan fi se omo araye lore,
Eshua!

So Who is Seti Seti ni Iwaju ogun seti seti
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by PeterKbaba: 2:04pm On Jan 01, 2015
Seti I
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Menmaatre Seti I (or Sethos I as in Greek) was a pharaoh of the New Kingdom Nineteenth Dynasty of Egypt, the son of Ramesses I and Queen Sitre, and the father of Ramesses II. As with all dates in Ancient Egypt, the actual dates of his reign are unclear, and various historians claim different dates, with 1294 BC to 1279 BC[4] and 1290 BC to 1279 BC[5] being the most commonly used by scholars today.
The name 'Seti' means "of Set", which indicates that he was consecrated to the god Set (also termed "Sutekh" or "Seth"wink. As with most pharaohs, Seti had several names. Upon his ascension, he took the prenomen "mn-m3‘t-r‘ ", usually vocalized as Menmaatre, in Egyptian, which means "Established is the Justice of Re."[1] His better known nomen, or birth name, is transliterated as "sty mry-n-ptḥ" or Sety Merenptah, meaning "Man of Set, beloved of Ptah". Manetho incorrectly considered him to be the founder of the 19th dynasty, and gave him a reign length of 55 years, though no evidence has ever been found for so long a reign.

After the enormous social upheavals generated by Akhenaten's religious reform, Horemheb, Ramesses I and Seti I's main priority was to re-establish order in the kingdom and to reaffirm Egypt's sovereignty over Canaan and Syria, which had been compromised by the increasing external pressures from the Hittite state. Seti, with energy and determination, confronted the Hittites several times in battle. Without succeeding in destroying the Hittites as a potential danger to Egypt, he reconquered most of the disputed territories for Egypt and generally concluded his military campaigns with victories. The memory of Seti I's military successes was recorded in some large scenes placed on the front of the temple of Amun, situated in Karnak. A funerary temple for Seti was constructed in what is now known as Qurna (Mortuary Temple of Seti I), on the west bank of the Nile at Thebes while a magnificent temple made of white limestone at Abydos featuring exquisite relief scenes was started by Seti, and later completed by his son. His capital was at Memphis. He was considered a great king by his peers, but his fame has been overshadowed since ancient times by that of his son, Ramesses II.

Seti's military campaigns
Seti I fought a series of wars in western Asia, Libya and Nubia in the first decade of his reign. The main source for Seti’s military activities are his battle scenes on the north exterior wall of the Karnak Hypostyle Hall, along with several royal stelas with inscriptions mentioning battles in Canaan and Nubia.
In his first regnal year, he led his armies along the “Horus Military road,” the coastal road that led from the Egyptian city of Tjaru (Zarw/Sile) in the northeast corner of the Egyptian Nile Delta along the northern coast of the Sinai peninsula ending in the town of “Canaan” in the modern Gaza strip. The Ways of Horus consisted of a series of military forts, each with a well, that are depicted in detail in the king’s war scenes on the north wall of the Karnak Hypostyle Hall. While crossing the Sinai, the king’s army fought local Bedouins called the Shasu. In Canaan, he received the tribute of some of the city states he visited. Others, including Beth-Shan and Yenoam, had to be captured but were easily defeated. The attack on Yenoam is illustrated in his war scenes, while other battles, such as the defeat of Beth-Shan, were not shown because the king himself did not participate, sending a division of his army instead. The year one campaign continued into Lebanon where the king received the submission of its chiefs who were compelled to cut down valuable cedar wood themselves as tribute.
At some unknown point in his reign, Seti I defeated Libyan tribesmen who had invaded Egypt's western border. Although defeated, the Libyans would pose an ever increasing threat to Egypt during the reigns of Merenptah and Ramesses III. The Egyptian army also put down a minor “rebellion” in Nubia in the 8th year of Seti I. Seti himself did not participate in it although his crown prince, the future Ramesses II, may have.

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by blacko(m): 6:51pm On Jan 02, 2015
All of u who write and make lies about the origin of the Yoruba's shall be punished by our ancestors

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Story Of The Legendary Farmer Turned Warrior, Lisabi / Ooni Inaugurates National Orisa Day In Brazil / Benin Traditional Worshippers Embark On Acts Of Purification And Sanctification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 201
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.